Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B Series

Comments

• lisbeylisbey Member Posts: 21
    Brutal honesty is good. Let me guess--you're a car salesman for Mazda.
    Appreciate the thought. Think of me while popping and ice cold Mich Light, too.
    Please let me know how well the truck performs for you. I have made a few more stops at the gas station since I'm now just over 800 miles. Does that mean I'm all broke in and can drive like a mad woman now?
    Foreign cars have a tendency to be vandalized if you are parked in the wrong place around here. With all the people that work for the BIG 3, and their relatives who get discounts . . .
    I find it funny that when an American company buys part of a foreign company and now the discount applies to the foreign car as well, how many more foreign cars show up on the lots of the plants. I guess that makes it "okay" when Ford owns a piece of Jag or Volvo. Seems to me that some of the auto workers would really like to drive an import but can't because their vehicle would be damaged and they are cutting their own throats if they do. How depressing.
    Have fun on the trails and maybe blazing new ones.
    :)
    L
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    How could I be a car salesman and be brutally honest?

Good point. Stupid me. I have a tendency to believe people are honest at heart. Maybe I should change my way of thinking. Did you get out this weekend? How did the truck do?
    So I took my son out motorcycle riding. The truck did great, but another kid on his first time out saw fit to place a nice dent on the rocker panel under the rear door. Maybe if his dad had of shown him how to use the brakes BEFORE showing him where the throttle was, I wouldn't be writing this. Fortunately, I managed to catch him as he was impacting the truck so he was ok, but my sunglasses got bent and I hurt my pinky. The truck will live.

And the dent. And the glasses. Some people should simply be removed from the gene pool. Good save on the kid. Whose truck was it?

I have an issue with Little Red. (I named it--the truck, okay.) I rolled over a grand today. Last tank was 18.3 mpg. Not too shabby. Here's the issue (I do not want to call it a problem.) Shortly before shifting from 3rd to 4th, there is a knocking or tapping noise in the engine. It started a couple days ago. Usually when it's cold. I do let it warm up for a minute or two before driving. I never just turn the key and drive. Once it shifts, the noise is gone. I haven't noticed it yet in any other gear. Have you heard this at all? Or heard of this?

I'm beginning to miss my 30 mpg. Especially since gas jumped another dime last night. Up to $1.77. My husband's GTP does better. He can't believe it.

I'm taking Little Red off road on Mother's Day so I'll see what it does.

Never heard of it :), but do have the dealer look at it, making sure that they document it. It could have something to do with the timing chain, but it's not something that affects longevity.

What are you--a mechanic?

I didn't even look at the tach, but it's probably around there. Maybe I'm not letting it warm up enough before driving since I only notice it in the morning.

It's been getting hot here. I'm afraid to use the AC because I will kill my great mileage. Turned the fan on cold today and it was like having the AC on. Usually they just blow hot air. Thought that was a nice feature. May not need much AC this summer.

Send me an e-mail malt.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I hope this isn't an early example of "I told you so." Malt, you remember my experiences with my B2300-with-Mazda-badges-but-built-Ford-tough-yeah-right? Now I know you're connected with Mazda, Malt, so please don't take this personally. And remember from the other topic, you know what I drive now. So you haven't lost me as a Mazda fan. I'll just never purchase another product that has ANYTHING Ford in it.

Lisbey, I hope -- really, I do -- that your little problem gets worked out. I had a 1994 B2300SE that I babied like you wouldn't believe, and I had nothing but engine problem after engine problem (oh, and a continually leaking 5-speed transmission too). All related to poor intake design, from what Mazda's own Mid-Atlantic service rep told me in person. (I couldn't believe he actually said that.) Before he admitted that, my dealership actually had most of my engine out of my truck at least twice, replacing everything from throttle position sensors to exhaust manifolds and cylinder heads. Hell, they kept it once for two weeks -- with me in a loaner car -- while the chief service guy drove it home to the country every night to "study" the problem. And then it happened -- I met ANOTHER owner of a B2300SE on the Internet who was experiencing the EXACT same problems on the other side of the country!

My Haynes "Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series" manual was so worn it looked like a high school textbook. Now that your problems have started (maybe; I know I'm being pessimistic), keep documents of EVERYTHING done so you can pursue your state's lemon law if it gets that bad. I hope it won't. Mine did though, starting at the ripe old age of 3 months off the dealer's lot.

I'm now driving a 2000 Mazda Protege (er, built in JAPAN, not Ohio) and loving it. Good luck with the truck. I just wish Ford could build the engines as well as Mazda builds the exteriors.

Meade
    Meade,
    Every car company sells lemons. It would be impossible not to. I have never been a huge fan of Ford, but there are encouraging things on the horizon. For example the new 2.3L that replaced the one in your truck is a hot little engine. It was designed by Mazda and currently is built by Ford. Mazda will probably be using the same motor (but Japanese built) in the near future.

I used to think that there were near perfect vehicles out there, but working close to the industry tells me otherwise.

P.S. no offense taken, I post on here my own opinions and not those of any company/organization.
    Thank you very much. I'm going to be afraid to drive soon. Sometimes research gets you more than you bargained for I guess. Actually, my husband did not want me to get the Mazda because of the Ford affiliation. He had a '95 Cougar with a transmission that started slipping at around 55,000 miles. Two grand ($) later it was still doing it so he got rid of it and replaced it with a 2000 GTP. Good choice I might add. I had a '97 Tracer that around 50,000 started having stalling problems. People have told me that those were Mercury and not Ford. Same thing to me. Live and learn I guess. I actually swore off Fords as a kids because my grandma used to buy them and have all kinds of trouble. I just hope I don't regret the Mazda purchase. I plan to be driving it at least eight years. Of course, I said that with the Tracer to and didn't even get four out of it.

Actually, this weekend I didn't notice the noise at all. What I did notice was a strange feeling in the transmission while driving about 40 mph. It almost felt like a shift at the wrong time or a slip. Hope I imagined it since I'm trying to be so tuned in to this truck for fear of anything going wrong. I've owned 11 different vehicles. Seven of those were Chrysler products of which 3 were imported Mitsubishis. One was a Pontiac Fiero. Two were Mercs. The ONLY cards I didn't have problems with were the Chryslers. Which is quite hard to believe since they have had quality problems for 30 years. Maybe I should have bought the Dakota. That V-8 is pretty fast.
  • ctmyersctmyers Member Posts: 3
    Hey all, up to 1450 miles on my green B3000 DS. Actually getting above 20mpg! :) I have a bedliner but am looking at getting a hood deflector (smoked) as well as the window vents. Does anyone know of a good website(s) to shop around for these or is Mazda the only place to get them? Also I am leasing it so would I have to get accessories from Mazda or not? Thanks!

-Chad
    You can get OEM accessories from a dealer in TX:

http://www.mazdastuff.com/Store/dir.cfm?CategoryID=35

They sell the hood deflector for $60, while most dealers are around $80.

With a lease you don't have to use OEM accessories, but wherever you drill a hole, you may be responsible for it. Check your contract to be sure.

• johng17johng17 Member Posts: 3
    My 1996 mazda B 4000 4.0L has been making a kind of harmonic 'droning' sound either from the idle air control valve or the mass air flow sensor. It is hard to tell which. It only happens at a certain speed, then goes away when put in any other gear or (if left in drive) when air is let in by releasing the mass air flow sensor band clamp. The air filter has been changed with no success. I guess I'll replace the IAC vavle ($48) first, then the MAF sensor($172). Has anybody ever heard this sound coming from either of these two parts?
  • scoobyjawscoobyjaw Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 B3000 5-Speed Cab Plus 2-Door SE a year ago. I couldn't be happier with the way this truck has performed. I have been looking at the negative postings as far as acceleration on the B3000 and all I can think is "gee, were you wanting a truck or a Mustang GT?!?" My only qualm with my truck is the ridiculous top speed (92 m.p.h.?!?!??!?!) Tell me that there is a chip to fix this.

Anyway, I'm looking to see if there is anybody in the Los Angeles area who has 16" Troy Lee wheels available for sale. Let me know.....
    Why would anybody sell those wheels, they were the best thing about the truck.

I agree with the top speed issue. It is a little strange, but when do really need to go that fast? I think Ford does it for liability so they can put cheap, low speed rated tires on the truck.

• mikeb3000dsmikeb3000ds Member Posts: 7
    Hello Everyone,

I just bought my B3000 Dual Sport this Saturday, I really like this truck, its my first Mazda, But for the price how can you beat it?

Any other Dual Sporters out there, and if so give me an update on how your trucks are running...Thanks, Mike
    Rolled over 2000 yesterday. The gas is a killer though. Had a little problem a couple weeks ago. A pull to left during braking at around 40 mph. A friend said it could be the alignment. Made an appointment for last Monday. Wouldn't ya know on Friday it quit doing it. Took it in anyway. They checked the brakes and alignment and said all was fine. Drives like a dream again. Very strange.

Did a little off-roading on Sunday just to make sure everything worked. Be careful. Those mud flaps might not be there when you get back. Two of them were almost tore off. Since I was taking it in the next day anyway, I pointed out my hanging mud flaps. Of course I did not mention how it happened. They ordered me two new ones and are putting them on this week. That was pretty cool. So far so good.
    B3000 DS standard cab in Red. Nice truck. For the price and the free packages Mazda is offering, you can't beat the deal. All that and it's just in time for the long weekend. One thing is that I got the truck on Tuesday and they announced later that day that the Wilderness AT tires were being recalled. Better put some miles on them before they want 'em back. Oh yeah, I better check the air pressure in the tires.

Hi Malt,

I got my DS less then two weeks ago, I too like this truck.

I also have the Wilderness AT tires and have already contacted Mazda about their replacement plans, I was told that we would be recieveing letters soon and that they too were going to get the older tires off the road first. From the imformation I have found the tires seem to be ok on the B series and Ranger pickups and the recall is more precautionary. It may be awhile before we get new rubber.

see ya, Mike
    I figure that by the time I get my tires I'll be due for another set. Thanks Mazda.

Hi Malt,

I got my DS less then two weeks ago, I too like this truck.

I also have the Wilderness AT tires and have already contacted Mazda about their replacement plans, I was told that we would be recieveing letters soon and that they too were going to get the older tires off the road first. From the imformation I have found the tires seem to be ok on the B series and Ranger pickups and the recall is more precautionary. It may be awhile before we get new rubber.

see ya, Mike
  • dsdrvr01dsdrvr01 Member Posts: 10
    Got the B3000 in early April, already have 4300 miles on it and having no problems. Just as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. And yes it has already seen it's share of the dirt. Only thing you might have a slight complaint with is the HP. Comfortable on the long freeway drive and decent dirt off-road capability.

Now we just get to wait to replace our tires. I wouldn't worry to much the explorers have been having roll over (tire problems?) since 92 to my direct knowledge. If ranger models had been having the same problems on the firestones it would have come out as well by now.

Enjoy the truck.
    It seems like the power just drops off at highway speeds. I took my son out riding and with our bikes and a few things, the truck was really struggling up some mild grades. I'll wait a few more miles before I pass final judgment.

Also, I noticed that the factory gas sees much better mileage than the lousy evirowacko re-formulated gas.

I find being over that is the key to maintaining speed or acellerating on grades. I also noticed an increase in performance around 2500 miles. The truck seems to do better on 76 gas mid grade than any of the others.

Of course 3200 RPM in 4th gear is exceeding the speed limit and if you want to maintain the speed limit in 3rd you are closer to 4000 RPM. I speed so not a big factor for me. I make the Sacramento to Tahoe run maintaining 65-80 depending on corners without problem.

As for mileage my B3000 did terrible till around 1500 miles then I started pegging the EPA ratings. A combination of me getting used to the motor performance and break-in I suspect.
    In CA do we have a speed limit? I find tht the limit is reached when there are cars in front of you.

Thanks for the info.

Not officially the legal speed limit but the one applied by most drivers.
    Hi Malt and dsdrvr01,

I haven't noticed a problem with horsepower, but I am moving from a 89 Honda Accord coupe with the tiny four cylinder to my first truck, I also live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland whick is flat as a pancake. Power seems fine for the type of driving I do.

On my last fill-up I averaged 20.5 mpg, which I thought was great considering I have only 800 mile on my truck and the highway average is stated at 21 mpg.

I too am gonna wait awhile before replacing the tires...get some free miles out of them.
    Filled up this morning and calculated my mileage at 19.9MPG so I guess I'm not doing too bad. The truck now has ~400 miles after a 200 mile trip to go riding this weekend. So with about 15-20 miles off road and the rest highway at about 75mph, I'm pretty pleased at that number.

The truck is nice looking and a real pleasure to drive. For 14 and change, this was a great purchase.

• marter1229marter1229 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 B-3000 ext cab. I am having a problem with the engine pinging a lot. The dealer says " just rev it higher", but some times it is so bad that you can't.
    Does anyone have any good info I can take with me to the dealer that might convince them to fix it.. Thanks: TERRY
    Rolled over 3000 last weekend and still pleased. Averaging around 19 mpg. Still a big slide from my last car at 30. What's the deal with the tires? I haven't heard an "official" recall for the new ones. From what I heard here in Detroit, the tires were a problem in warmer climates. I heard about recalls in Central and South American countries. I seemed to have become speckled with paint from road lines. Rubbing compound took most of it out but there is still some left. Any ideas to get it off?

Terry, is it a pinging or a knocking/tapping sound? I get a noise during acceleration between 3rd and 4th. I have it on pretty good authority that my problem could be the timing chain. Just an idea.

Take care everybody and ZOOM ZOOM!
    Lisa
    Terry,
    Have your dealer look at service bulletin # 01-017/00. It specifically applies to B3000s built before 2/21/00. Good Luck.

• cpd1cpd1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at a 1995 Mazda B2300 pickup, 4 cylinder / manual with 98K on the odometer. The truck looks great and is mechanically sound. The problem is that I don't know anything about this model. Can anyone tell me if this is a good truck and would you spend $4995 for a used truck with this many miles. All I want it for is for short trips to Home Depot! Thanks.
    Five grand sounds like a lot for running to Home Depot. However, Kelly Blue book retails it for $4925 in the Detroit area. That was the short bed, 2WD with no options. Go back and read the postings around #370 or so. There is some discussion of the older trucks and 2.3 vs. 2.5 and when the change was from an actual Mazda engine to the Ford engine. Good luck!
  • ed15ed15 Member Posts: 7
    Trying to replace the worst tires I have ever owned - the blasted FireStore AT - I have already replaced 2 that went early with leaks - no holes only cracks, bad, bad traction too. Called my dealer, and I was told to bring truck in, then i was called back 4 hours later and told they were no tires available for MAZDA OWNERS,and that FORD COMES FIRST and they would be getting tires so we must go fend for ourselves - I mean nothing for MONTHS they said! Thanks Mazda service for wasting yet another day of my time, and putting $ in front of my safety!

I am not pleased - I almost think it is a scam to make people front the money and time and work to get it done. They are claiming they can't find any replacements. C'mon be serious! Don't you think a dealership could get a car part faster than an individual??

To people think of buying mazda Bseries over ford - think twice - ford owes mazda and apparently they come first. I wish I bought a toyota - I have had b4000 3 years, Service sucks, problems with the DOOR SWITCH AND DRIVE SHAFT ABOUND!
    I have yet to hear of an official recall of the Wilderness ATs. Is there one? When I do catch a story on the news, it's always the Explorer that's talked about. Firestone is trying to blame the tire problem on the Explorer design and Ford's recommended tire pressure. Ed, are you saying there are no tires for your truck from any manufacturer? Had a truck several years ago that came with Yokohama Super Diggers. They were great tires. I will replace with those if necessary.
    http://fordfirestonewildernessatprogram.ford.com/

"As a precautionary measure and to ensure the safety of our customers, Ford Motor Company is recalling all 15", 16" and 17" Firestone Wilderness AT tires on our vehicles. This decision affects models from Ford, Mercury and Mazda."

I guess we can't trust a word Ford Motors says, aye?

With 13 million tires to replace, you can be sure that it will take a while before everyone gets their set. I have ATs on my truck, but based on the stats, I'm not worried in the least bit. Mazda should be sending info on this soon, per their hotline. Besides, I'm going to wait until I use a few more miles before I start looking for my set.

Also, from everything I have read, this is a Customer Satisfaction Campaign, not a recall. Therefore, none of it is mandatory, so don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

http://fordfirestonewildernessatprogram.ford.com/

"As a precautionary measure and to ensure the safety of our customers, Ford Motor Company is recalling all 15", 16" and 17" Firestone Wilderness AT tires on our vehicles. This decision affects models from Ford, Mercury and Mazda."

I guess we can't trust a word Ford Motors says, aye?

Ok, maltb - You relax too, when your truck starts rolling for no apparent reason.. i suggest you keep an eye on the air pressure and watch for those cracks developing, it's especially bad in hot weather.

"don't look the gift horse?" what? I wish I nver heard of this damn 'customer satisfaction campaing' did nothing but waste more of my time which mazda service seems to have made an art.. My final decision: It ain't worth the wait (or my life or someone elses) I will go find bf goodrichs or goodyear and pay for myself to replace last 2 ATs on the truck. I think I was stupid for not replacing them all over a year ago (with only about 18k - carefully maintained and rotated).

*By the way if you want to have mazda replace they make the decision on which tires to put on, and if you do go get them on your own (which they want you to do so they don't have to pay for the labor) you have to bring your old ones back and show them your new ones.. none of which was explained until you read the fine print on any of the various remimbursement forms I have seen.

In my opinion the Mazda service can't put up what ford motor companies PR compaign suggests which is the statement above.

Matlb - I have had this truck and Mazda service for 3 years now - how long have you had yours? Maybe you will get better service because of cranky bastards like me..
    I tend to be more on Firestone's side than Ford's. I really don't feel there is a problem with my tires due solely to the fact that Ford put out a massive campaign to save face. IMO, the Explorer has problems and Ford is trying to protect it's name by shifting blame to the rubber that carries the name of another company. I don't doubt that certain tires had their issues, but vehicles aren't supposed to roll when the tire blows out. Stats on everything but the Explorer show that you too can safely bring your vehicle to a stop on it's tires.

Have you had a problem with your ATs?
    Two of my original AT tires needed to be replaced, almost caused accident - lost pressure through cracks in tire - small cracks - brought them in to be examined by independent dealer - he was a pro in tires and pointed about how these cracks developed and said they could not be repaired - and that it was defective poor grade rubber that did not hold up causing:
    (1) loss of pressure
    (2) then if you keep driving at about 10psi or so like mine got down to, they will get extremely hot from all the slop and eventually out comes the radial.
  • simracer77simracer77 Member Posts: 1
    I went back and looked at all of the old messages and noticed some of the comments about the 2500 having knocking noises. My truck knocks very badly on regular (87 octane) especially at cruising speeds. I started using 89 and 93 octane and it has helped silent the problem. Has anyone got a idea why this happens?
    Also I am trying to find some fender flares for my Mazda and I have looked everywhere in magazines (JC whitney,etc) and on the internet. Anyone know where i can locate some? I have 17000 miles so far and NO problems to speak of. The truck could use a bit more power, however I average 24-26 MPG at every stop since about 10000 miles and this is with a extended cab truck! I love my mazda, even though i wish i bought black instead of red. One other thing, my paint has messed up some with little "acid rain" outlines in it. I had it buffed but it still has the same problem. Anyone else seeing this? Bye for now, thanks guys!
  • bostontimbostontim Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my new red B3000 DS ON 6/26. I love this truck, have filled up twice and got 18.5mpg and 20mpg. Hope to add a bug deflector, tonneau cover and side-steps. Any advice on manufactures to use and prices. Thanks
    I would check with the folks at Roger Beasley Mazda in Austin, TX:
    www.mazdastuff.com

You can get the OEM stuff cheaper than most dealers will sell it although Mazda's tonneau covers are pricey to start with.

I found a place called AutoAmeriStar in my area. A tonneau is $229 installed and black tube steps are $289 installed--the dealer wanted over $400 for the tubes. Are these decent prices? I didn't think it was too bad. Haven't got them yet as I'm still saving my pennies. I'm putting all my extra in the gas tank. Still averaging 18-19 mpg--combination city and highway driving.

You are all getting a bit snippy about these tires. Cool off guys!
    Has anyone purchased a cap for their 2001 b-series pickup....I'm looking into buying one and was looking for recommendations....thanks
  • mtl3mtl3 Member Posts: 22
    I have a '97 B4000 with about 28K miles on it.

At about 13,000 miles I noticed the front tires were cupped. Went down, had the front tires moved to the back, got an alignment(way out)and went on.

At 27,000, front tires are once again goobered up and at hwy speeds, it's shaking like a dog passing a peach pit.

Went down, bought new tires, had another alignment(again, way out) and went on. Asked the shop to look the suspension over for any damage or malfunction, bent rims and the like. None was found. After this I noticed immediately that the shaking was less, but still noticeable. Went back, they did another alignment and it felt much better.

Now, I've got about a thousand miles on the new tires and I'm starting to notice that the steering wheel is shaking slightly.

My questions are: Has any one else had this recurring problem with alignment? If so, did you find something wrong and how did you get it fixed.

Thanks.
  • bostontimbostontim Member Posts: 3
    I intend to but on bed rail caps before a tonneau cover, is this a problem or can both be installed together. Also purchased the bugflector 2 and will install tomorrow anyone got experience with this brand
  • mltmmtmltmmt Member Posts: 2
    I live in Virginia Beach and my name is now on a waiting list to have my tires replaced at the Mazda dealership. They are planning to replace them, only problem is that supplies of tires are a little thin at the moment. If they are telling you no I would try to contact another source. I have a 1999 B3000 Troy Lee Edition, it has 25000 miles on it and I am extremely happy with it. I don't think I could have found a better all around truck.
  • nailpoundernailpounder Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 B2500, and the rear is sagging when under load.
    Have been looking in catalogs, but finding zero in the way of helper springs and / or blocks.
    Ford products don't cover this year either.
    Any one else run into this? I am thinking of ordering a set of 1"blocks that are pretty much universal.
    Any ideas would be welcome!