Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B Series

Comments

• saspoweredsaspowered Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone driven the ranger on long trips. I was
    wondering if back pain was an issue. My back started to hurt after only a short test drive. I
    wish the lumbar support was available on the 2wd model.
  • hahirahahira Member Posts: 1
    It's good to hear all the great reviews on the Mazda B-Series trucks. I plan on buying a '99
    B4000 4X4 Extended Cab at the end of this year. I think they are sharp looking trucks, and Mazda has a reputation for making solid vehicles. Has anyone out there driven one with the 5 speed automatic? Will appreciate any feedback.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Hey guys1

Great discussion...what kind of mileage are u getting with the 4.0 6? And where can I see the y2k trucks?

Thnks

zig
  • LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    Anybody think it's weird Edmunds put the B-series on their "foolish car" list? They said it's because B-series cost more than Rangers even though they are the same truck. I thought it was the other way around with Rangers costing more.
  • azninvazionazninvazion Member Posts: 15
    Lohengrin,
    I agree with you. Again I refer back to my cousin's experience and a family friend's experience. They both have Mazda B-series trucks: 2500-2months and a 3000-4 years, respectively. The reason that they purchased the Mazda was because they went to both dealers and were given a total different price range. The choice between the two was not based on personal likings or experiences (since essentially they are identical), yet it was which would end up cheaper. The argument that Edmunds sets forth about the import parts being more expensive, is valid under a normal import vs. export battle, but I fail to see the point of that due to the fact that they are both built off of the same platform assembly line. Any problems related to the electrical, power trend etc. would be parts made in America. What's the deal Edmunds?
  • rich40rich40 Member Posts: 4
    For Hahira
    You are planning on buying what I bought 2 months ago. Mine has the 5 speed auto and works fine. The only problem so far is the driver seat started squeaking real bad so I pulled it out and lubed it and now everything is great. For everyone else I think the Mazda is a better buy than the Ranger. When you compare all the option the SE comes with against building a Ranger to the same specs the Ranger costs more. When I got mine the rebate was $750 more for the Mazda also.
  • cdg19cdg19 Member Posts: 15
    I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but the Mazda truck has a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty and the ranger has a 3 year 36,000. I had a 93 ranger 3.0 V6, it was a great truck without any problems. I traded it at 60,000 miles.
  • cougars2cougars2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 B3000 3.0 V6.

I've noticed a slight knock in the driver door when I stop and start when the temp is greater than 80 degrees. I didn't hear it all winter, and now that it's getting hot here in Texas, it's back.

Anyone else ever get this?
  • azninvazionazninvazion Member Posts: 15
    Cougar,
    My friend owns a b-3000, It is a 95. Everything works fine on the truck, including the doors. We live in South Beach, Miami. Temperatures get higher then 90 during spring, and summer is unbelieveable. My point is that most of the time it is 80+ and there is my problem.

My cousin has a 99 B-2500. The only problem that he faced was electrucal, which was fixed under warranty. He has mo problems with the doors so far, So sorry to say, you are the only person that I know with this problem. :(
  • garthrgarthr Member Posts: 11
    Saspowered....I have driven a Mazda for an hour test and found the seats to lack lumbar support also.I have had back problems also,and being 6'4",gave up on the Mazda/Ranger duo because of the seats.Ford used to offer some killer power sport buckets with lumbar support,but that was '97 and earlier. I ended up buying a F150 with a power seat,and am very happy...lot's of room for my feet..my legs...and a excellent seat.It's a little bigger than I needed,but the 4.2v-6 gets within a couple of mpg to the 3 or 4 liter.The regular cab/short bed F150 has a shorter WB than the SC Mazda/Ranger,but still has some room behind the seat.It's too bad they don't offer better seats for the Mazda/Ranger anymore,I think they had to streamline options to cut costs,no suprise there.
  • danimaldanimal Member Posts: 1
    Talk about a work truck!! I have a 94 B-3000 4X4 short bed with 140,xxx miles. It has been abused since the day I brought it home (it was my first 4X4, so I had to play). It has a stated payload capacity of 1250 lbs, but I've loaded 1800 lbs with absolutely no problem. I have pulled shrubs/hedges/small trees out of the ground with a chain, towed cars (including a full size 76 Chevy, that sure made me grin), and just played in the snow and mud.

My only recurring problem is with the front driver side wheel bearing (inner). I have replaced it 4 times since it first gave out at 76,000. Not a single problem with the passenger side. I have no idea what could be causing this bearing to wear prematurely and I wonder if anyone else out there has heard of this happening. I have had a complete 4 wheel computerized allignment and all the steering and front suspension components appear to be in perfect condition. I'm dumbfounded!!

danimal
  • kenk2kenk2 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a B3000and have driven about 2k mi.
    The 3.0 motor seems pretty bad with the Auto.
    Very poor performance, terrible mileage (17 hwy) and not very smooth. If it turns out that mine doesn't have some problem, like missing 2 or 3 cyl, I would not recommend this power train combo at all.
    I considering a new chip, any opinions ?
  • mchukovmchukov Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 99 B3000 4x4 xcab. There's a recall on the cruise control and the air cond. No matter what setting you put dial on, the air cond is on! also, the cruise is not working at all. I took to service dept today and they said, oh yeah, ha ha, there's a recall on the cruise. It doesn't work. duh... Mazda sent these out knowing it didn't work. I also have power problems with the 3.0. Really does suck. I wonder if a chip would help. I gonna find a place to fix the power prob., but if your looking for the good one get the b4000.
  • gary11gary11 Member Posts: 2
    In 1990 I bought my B2600 2WD bran new. It's been a great truck and it's still going strong. I thought about getting a new truck but when I think about how good this one preforms I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Presently it gets 25 mpg and it has 90,000 great highway miles. The only regret I have is that Ford now owns Mazda and I believe the quality of workmanship in the new vehicles will drop.
  • rdbrownrdbrown Member Posts: 1
    I've got A '93 B2200 as a work vehicle and it is PLAIN. It's got 162,000 miles on it now, still gets 28 mpg and doesn't burn any oil. Pretty good pickumup.
  • offroadboboffroadbob Member Posts: 7
    I am the proud owner of a 1993 B-2200 Cab Plus. I bought it new in 1992 and have been shocked at how reliable it is. The only time it has been in the shop was after it got rear-ended. I got hit by a Hyundai at less than 5 mph. My truck suffered a bent roll pan and tailgate (there is no rear bumper) and cost insurance about $1100. The Hyundai was literally a foot-and-a-half shorter (remember, it was going less than 5mph), and the grille, headlights, and front bumper were destroyed. I confess that I do not take particularly good care of it, other than regular oil changes. Still, it has never given me any hint of trouble in 71,000 miles. I only wish that I could have afforded the SE or LE package so that I could have factory air conditioning. One accessory that I got that I highly recommend is a spray-on bed liner. The drop-in liners are not sealed and can trap water resulting in rust.

Mine was the last of the Japanese Mazdas sold in America, but the rebadged Rangers are nothing to sneeze at. I like their styling better than Ford's, and prefer their warranty and option packages.
  • hmerglerhmergler Member Posts: 85
    I am finally starting to look at getting a new truck. I know the options I want and what trim I want, but I was wondering what people thought of the Ranger vs. B-Series. I am looking at getting a 2WD 4-door SuperCab (XLT or SE) with the power option, sliding rear window, and 4-wheel ABS. Does anyone have any input on the differences or likes and dislikes between the two models? I know that Mazda has a better warranty and a different pricing structure than Ford.

Thanks for the input,
    The Merg
  • chrisb3chrisb3 Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from the Mazda dealership.I almost bought a B2500cabplusSE 2WD cab plus. During negotiations I included the factory incentive with the rebate as seen on Edmunds rebate page. The dealership said that it did not exist. Does anyone know if this factory incentive of $2500.00 exist. Take care.
  • hmerglerhmergler Member Posts: 85
    I believe the factory incentive you are referring to is for '98 models of the B-Series.

- The Merg
  • chrisb3chrisb3 Member Posts: 2
    Merg, Thanks for setting me strait. In my haste for an awesome deal,i neglected to pay attention to the date.They did offer me a good deal with rebate of$1500 or rebate of $500 plus the low fin rates. Thanks again. Take Care, Chris
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    will the caps made for the ranger work on the mazda. the back is a little different on the mazda and it looks like maybe not..
  • sushisushi Member Posts: 99
    What caps?
  • davejaydavejay Member Posts: 18
    I've been happy with my '98 B2500SE (5spd, 4cyl), but I'll offer up the following:

In 18,000 miles, I've had the front steering gear replaced once under warranty (it got creaky after long drives), but no other unscheduled work.

The black paint seems to chip and scratch easily...

I found the back support to be wanting, as mentioned in a previous post, so I bought a little velcro lumbar support from pepboys. Tada! No more back support problems - suddenly, it's as comfortable as any car I've owned.

The power steering pump is awfully loud, and I'm the second person here to mention it. Dealer says it's normal, but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

The tailgate's kinda squeaky. If I ever get off my lazy backside, I'll lube it and hope the noise goes away.

I've noticed the slippage at low speeds in first gear (as mentioned in a previous post) but I'm positive it's rear-wheel slippage. For a 4-cyl truck, this thing squeaks the rears with remarkably little effort - in fact, I've grabbed 2nd and 3rd with chirps when I'm pushing it. I blame the Firestones...great progressive breakaway in corners, but less than stellar traction for launches.

Regarding the above paragraph...for a 4 cyl, this is a fun little truck to drive in the city. Perky (with 5 speed, that is), handles great, looks great, great stereo and you don't see many of them around.

Last, but definately not least...when cold/wet, I've occasionally experienced brakes that grab on first application, or freeze on the rotor until broken loose with a little extra throttle. This has been mentioned in the Ford Ranger section, but not here. Anyone else having trouble with this?

All in all, still very happy with it and keeping it for at least three more years (unless my fiance convinces me to buy something with an automatic instead.)
  • davejaydavejay Member Posts: 18
    Almost forgot...

I bought the Mazda because the warranty was better, and with the options that I wanted (A/C, 5spd, alloys, bedliner, sliding rear window, 4cyl, AM/FM/Cass, NOTHING else) it was notably cheaper than the Ford.

At the time, packaging discounts and option levels (at least in 1998) made the Ford the cheapest stripped model of the two AND the cheapest fully loaded model, but the Mazda could be optioned up to midrange for less than the Ford.
  • paulgearypaulgeary Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the Mazda B-Series is rated #1 as Edmunds "Cars that fools drive" (ahead of the Hummer!). I specifically wanted a Ford Ranger but bought the Mazda because it was MUCH cheaper than any of the comparably-equipped Rangers here in Austin, Texas. Maybe that's a local thing, but the writer's whole premise was based on price. Plus you can make the argument that the better warranty makes up for any presumed price inflation. And, I've not talked to anyone who's shopped for a truck who was unaware that the Ranger and Mazda were twins. So what gives with this guy?
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Have a 98 B2500. Great truck although I dislike the hvac controls. Prefer those where driver is in complete control. New problem is with warm Massachusetts weather the truck pings terribly. Highway travel with temps in the 90s I could hardly step on the gas without constant pinging. Cruise was out of the question. tried various brands of gas and up to 93 octane with no help. Dealer say "all within spec". Anyone else with this trouble????
  • freeflyerfreeflyer Member Posts: 9
    I recently ordered a Ford Ranger 4X4 XLT, 4.0, 5spd AT,4 doors, etc. Would rather have had a Mazda B4000 as I think they are better looking, ride better, and have comparable cheap financing. However, I could not get some of the options or colors I wanted in the Mazda. For example, the bucket seats aren't available on the B4000, but you can get them on the Ranger. And if you want a White or Amazon Green B4000, you have to take a tan interior, and I'm not real crazy about tan.
    I always thought that bucket seats did come with the B4000
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I had a 96 B4000 5 speed it was a beautiful truck,I had no problems with it what so ever.I chose the mazda over ford because of the warranty and the resale is a little bit better than the ranger,but I did trade it in for a 150 lightning which is an insane vehicle I will miss the 4 wheel drive the few times I used it.I would recommend the mazda and I'm sure some day I'll have another one
  • jep38jep38 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased by 1997 B-4000 SE X-cab 4X2 new. Only regret was not getting the power package! Now I'm trying desperately to add factory power package (power windows and locks). Does anyone out there have a 1997 Mazda LE that can e-mail? I have some questions regarding wiring harnesses. Anybody else help me?

By the way - haven't had a lick of problems with my B-4000. I even added a K&N Air Filter and a Flowmaster exhaust. Not to mention the running boards and lighted lunar visor! An exceptional truck at an exceptional price!
  • ed15ed15 Member Posts: 7
    The Transmission in my 1998 B4000 4x4 with
    5 speed Automatic Transmission and 17K has been
    getting very SLOPPY - it no longer shifts smoothly at all. Has anyone seen this Problem!!
    I am ready to bring to dealer but I am weary that they will balk, saying there is no problem.
    when i first got it was difficult to discern shifts - now i can feel every gear 1st is especially bad. I will let you know how 128 mazda in wakefield ma, treats me!

Cap question: the bed of the 98 mazda is the same size as an older ranger - like 87, so caps made for that will fit. I know from experience here.
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    ed 15
    Thanks for the answer..
  • agriggsagriggs Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1994 B4000 and I have a question about the A/C air flow. When I move the direction selector to off, I still get air flow out of the floor and vents. Also when the direction selector is set to Max A/C or Panel, the air still pours out of the floor more than the actual vents. Is this normal? Note, the defrost still has some floor output.
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Show Your Mazda Pictures at Topic #775 Truck Pictures
  • cmrittercmritter Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the black fender flares on Mazda 4x4's can be added to Mazda's that Don't have them. I just traded my 1998 B2500 cab plus for a 1999 B4000 cab plus 4, all it needs are some flares to make it really great looking.
  • hmuller850hmuller850 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 B2300. I have 20K on it now and the milage seems way off to me. ('m getting 20mpg no matter what type of driving I do. I knew upfront a 4cy lis a no power vehicle but with the a/c on the car hardly goes at all especially in real humid weather. Does anybody else have the same experience? What kind of milage are you getting on the B2300?
  • bodymechanicbodymechanic Member Posts: 3
    I recently traded in my '94 B3000 due to the start of what I thought to be some major problems. In just 4 months I replaced the radiator, heat pump and anticipated more so dumped it. I had the sport bucket seats with the center console. I loved it. 50,000 miles on it.

Just got the 99 B3000SE 2wd and my neck and back are killing me. Of course there is the recall on the cruise control and a short with the windshield wipers that have a mind of their own. I have a 2 door and getting in the back is a bear!!!!! Bring back the '94 style ....PLEASE!!!!!

Am now looking at F150 due to seating concerns. Looked at Dodge, GMC, and Toyota. Toyota comes close but the head rests are tilted forward. I don't want to go with a larger truck but I may have to.

Am ready to see if my old one is still on the lot!
    S-10's have nice comfy seats. Actually, I don't kjnow aboutyou.... The Mazda seats are actaully quite comfortable for me, but I am only 5'7.
  • cowboys0000cowboys0000 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a Mazda B2300 in December 1995. I was looking for an economical vehicle. I bought the cheapest thing on the market. If I would have known that Mazda did not stand behind their products I would not have paid one dime for the lemon that I have. This truck has been in the shop 16 times in 3.5 years. Every time I turn around something is broken. My extended warranty covers most but not all of the things that should last for the life of the truck. Mazda consumer compliance will not call me back or the district
    sales rep. will not meet with me despite numerous
    request to have a meeting. The truck is defected and the only explanation I get is "IT IS YOUR PROBLEM, YOU BOUGHT IT". I have tried to trade it in but no dealership will give me anything because I cannot convince them that it has not been wrecked. And for the record it has not been
    wrecked. Mazda may make some good vehicles but when you get a bad one from them this is what kind of treatment you get. I will never own another Mazda if and when I ever get rid of this
    one. That is a promise!!! To anyone who is looking
    for a new vehicle I would strongly recommend that
    they look elsewhere because Mazda does not follow through with any literature they print on their
    product
    Heath Guidry
    Pineville,La
  • jfowlerjrjfowlerjr Member Posts: 20
    Maybe someone on this board can help me. I'm
    looking at a new Ranger or B-Series (2 wheel drive
    X-Cab)but I'm not sure what engine would be good
    for me. Most of the time the truck would be just
    be used to drive to work and back with some light
    hauling. Don't have anything to tow write now but
    I would like to buy a small boat to tow in the
    coming years. I was looking at the 2.5 liter but I
    hear when you turn the a/c on you have no power.
    The 3.0 liter seems to have mechanical problems (Is this correct?) and the 4.0 liter cost $1000 more is it worth the price. Also I like to drive a stick but I see the towing is almost double when
    you have an automatic. Any other options I should
    look for in my truck. This would be my first truck
    so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    James
    I have about 6500 mi on a B3000 with automatic. Don't know if the 4.0 would have been better but I do know the package that I have is totally unacceptable.

No "trouble" so far but the performance is really awful. No power, erratic acceleration (several flat spots). trany shifts whenever it feels like (upshift and downshift), terrible fuel economy (~18mpg) and sounds like a diesel.

On the positive side, the idle is very smooth.

Dealer will go through the checks but admits these are not very good motors.

I do know that I should have paid a few extra bucks for a Toyota....or Chevy or Nissan. This was my first and last Ford.
    I think that you have to break your truck in good. I get very good mileage with my 4 litre and very good power..
  • cuda2cuda2 Member Posts: 4
    kenk2, I own a 99 b3000 tl manual and also feel that the power is lacking. It does run smooth though. Does anyone out there know of a new power chip or something that will increase the power of the 3 liter engine? I don't know if I can live with it as it is.
    Higher octane gas, a new air filter would do it. You could exchange your entire exhaust system!
  • ed15ed15 Member Posts: 7
    98 b4000 sloppy shifting / lag in drive train
    Update:

this is a report on the above problem:
    Brought truck to dealership in Mass where i
    bought it - 128 mazda imports - they fixed
    it explaining that it needed a special lube
    somewhere on the drive train. this was causing the slop in the drive train. not sure if they replaced any u-joints - they said they did but part does not appear on the receipt, so i don't think they did.

Good news is that it works as good as new and
    i am again quite happy again with my b4000 auto 4L. I guess 4L is the way to go - this engine
    is not geared to be quick (only 160hp), and the shifting was rather slow, but it has great tourqe,
    and the best acceleration is at highway speeds..

However the service dept at 128 mazda was suspect -i had to leave the truck there over night for them to simply add some 'special' lube to this drive train joint (i presume the joint inside the boot on the drive shaft, right after transmission)

They said they damaged my side step and had to replace it. When actually they did not and just wanted to charge Mazda (under warranty) 200 bucks for a new side step
    - stating "Customer complained about the finish on side steps" - this of course was a total lie! I was worried about other damage and checked out the side steps - when i realized nothing had been replaced at all only these guys milking the mazda warranty. Mazda you listening?

Anyway if anyone out there experiences a jolt/slop/non smooth shift in each gear you should
    check this out. I will respond if this problems reappears and am still interested if anyone else has seen it.
    cuda2, I've not found a "chip" so far that would seem to work. I assume the 3.0 in the Ford is the same, but not sure. I expect the chip is the best approach because the Engine claims to be "FFA" capable. To me this means it is probably detuned to work with a variety of Al Gore blends...
    I can't imagine any other reason they would have let this pathetic motor into the marketplace.
    There may be a Turbocharger but before I spend $2500+. I would take my lumps on the sale and get a better truck.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    you could try a k&n generationll fuel injecton performance kit about $200 to $300.it increases horse power by about 25 to 30 and it also increases torque of about the same.
    OK, I ordered a super chip and a true-rev sport induction system from Kurtz Kustomz today. I am also going to have a turbo muffler installed and trade my 16 inch rims and tires in for 15 inch. I will post here with the results. I intend to do some 0 to 60 times and a few 40 to 60 roll ons to compare before and after. We'll see. By the way, this stuff is going to cost about $400.00

Daved
  • frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I own a Mazda b3000 with the 3.0 liter engine. my gas milage is awful. I am only getting 10-15 miles per gallon, mostly on the lower side. Does anyone else have this issue.
    frankc55@hotmail.com
    The people at Kurtz Kustomz could not supply my superchip because it is such a new computer. I had to send them the computer and they in turn sent it to Superchips to read. Superchips wrote new mapping data and installed the module and sent it back to Kurtz who sent it on to me. I install it this morning along with the induction kit. I don't have the specific data but it does feel stronger, much stronger at higher revs and it sounds hot because of the non restricting induction. It sounds like opening up the butterflies on and old 4 barrel carbed 350. I will install a turbo muffler later next week.
    PS: My first tank of gas returned 19.7 mpg. We'll see what the next tank does.