Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Dodge Ram

Comments

• miked555miked555 Member Posts: 27
    Shane thanks for that sight it's great once it gets out of the parking lot
  • pinecoonpinecoon Member Posts: 2
    for trailer(11,000lbs) towing Ram 2500 diesel 4-sp automatic, which is better 3.54 or 4.10?
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I got a "D" status on my V10 last Friday. There was a three week period where no V10's were built do to some V10 shortage or whatever. I think Comptime must of had one of the last ones built before the halt. I'm told by the Dodge 800 number to expect a build date midweek. I also got my vin number last Friday. You got your gargage cleaned out? I got my door raised last Fall for this truck. Got inches to spare. My old doorway was arched and was to short on the edges. Anyhow I'm thinking your letter must have just conincided with the availability of engines. ... Rich
  • comptimecomptime Member Posts: 19
    I took my V10 on a road trip yesterday down to Plain City Ohio (Skiff Craft Plant) From Westland Michigan. 355 miles using 28.5 gallons of gas. $42.50 ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That averaged to 12.4 miles per gallon. I set the cruise at 70 on the highway but on the rural roads backed it down to 62 ( Ohio smokeys don't take kindly to Michigan speedeers i'm told) The truck road great. I can't wait until April to see how it tows the boat. Rich I only hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.
    Friday when I was given the vin and told it was in "D" status I decided to call again Wed(tomorrow) and see if a date is set like I was told Friday. 23 weeks today. Your getting about the mileage I expect. We have already started driving my wifes Camero (89 w 42,000 miles) more. It gets 27+ compared to my Chevy Z71 I have now that gets 15. But this new Dodge should pull my fifth wheel a little better. ... Rich
    this morning. My trucks vin number shows the North St. Louis plant. When I asked customer service where it would be built he first said the north plant and then changed and said "no, it will be built in the south plant". I beleive that is the Fenton Plant. Also the 2000 is changed to 2001 as I suspected. ... Rich
  • tmigueltmiguel Member Posts: 33
    I hope that Corp file number they gave me is for real. If I find out tomorrow that I no longer have a D status for my Reg cab V-10, I'll just have to write to somebody up the Corp ladder. Our TV commercials are loaded with Dodge ads, it makes no sense if they don't want to build them.

One reason I selected the 4x4 reg cab was that I wanted the 8 ft bed and still get the Ram into my garage. I ordered the camper springs with out the Dodge hitch because my boat trailer rig weighs 6300# and has surge brakes. Reese sells a 7500# load carrying hitch (note that I can't use a distributive load hitch because of the surge break mechanism.)

Well, lets see what happens next.
  • rocketdrrocketdr Member Posts: 4
    Ordered quad cab blue (yea me too)but in off road package.tow ,power, auto,ect. dealer said 2 weeks ha! we will see.one left.anyone run this baby yet? 1500. tricks? will pull 6000# boat and run mud puddels,sand dunes. mostly drive to work to pay for it at the rocket ranch.
    Well mine was shiped out 2/19 and should be at the dealers next week I ordered it on 12/28, but the order didn't go in till 1/3. It will be 8 weeks just about to the day. What I don't understand with these long delayed trucks, is that there are loads of 2001's at the dealerships right now. I would never have the patients to wait as long as some of you. If I had the money or loan OKed there are alot of dealers out there.
    MIKE 2001 3500 STD cab 4X4 slt ETC. ETC. ETC. etc.
    Tmiguel, who did you write and what was the address. I have looked all over the net with no luck. Seems Dodge keeps their mailing addresses close to the vest.
    miked555, if I'd known it would be this long I would have visited another dealer long ago. But after awhile I realized my truck has near 5000 miles more on it and older that when I struck this deal, it would cost me money to switch dealers with no assurrance I would get my truck any sooner. I don't think my truck is special but maybe its a combination of the features I ordered.
    2500 Quad cab SLT Plus 4x4 SWB, auto, air dam, anti-spin, 4.10, camper special, clearance lamps, trailer towing, heavy duty transfer case, V10, rear sliding window, Forest Green Pearl Coat.
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    You might want to try going to dodgeram.com. There is a guy there who went thru even more of a hassle than you're having (if you can believe it).
    His name is Pat Murphy (aka V10-5spd). I know he rattled a lot of cages at DC. He even got a phone call direct from Germany! He probably has all the names and numbers you need.
    I rifled thru all the postings at dodgeram.com. I emailed one post to you with a phone number in Germany. I thought there was another post with some US numbers but it must have been deleted. I have Pat's email. I think he would hook you up.
    I'll take the liberty and send you his email address.
    I rifled thru all the postings at dodgeram.com. I emailed one post to you with a phone number in Germany. I thought there was another post with some US numbers but it must have been deleted. I have Pat's email. I think he would hook you up.
    I'll take the liberty and send you his email address.
    nt
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    Tmiguel, i have a boat and i have surge brakes on my trailor and i use my weight dist setup, it doesnt really affect the braking performance much, the truck brakes a little more before the trailor brakes but not much at all.
    it all depends if you have yours setup correctly.

robert
    My approach against the establishment was to write to Daimler Chrysler, 1000 Chrysler Drive, Auburn Hills, Mi 48326 without an attention to last Feb. 1 2000. In the letter I described the problem as neither the Dealer nor the purchaser (me) know whether or not Dodge was planning to make my Ram (see #59/65) during the month of Feb. If not, then I was going over to Ford to buy one of their superduties.

On Feb 16 some lady from Detroit gives me a Corp file # and says things should start moving from the BGL to D1 in the next day or within 2 weeks.
    To me this meant was that Dodge was going to make a Ram V-10 in Feb., which answered the basic question in my letter to Dodge.

On Feb 17 the Dealer says he talked to someone up the chain of command and got a D status. I then told the Dealer about my letter to Corp, etc. On Feb. 24 I phone the Gal with the Corp file but she is out sick, so I phone anybody at customer assistance, give them my Corp file #, and they tell me nothing has changed.

I then call my Dealer and he gives me the VIN # and said we are at D1. I then recall Cust. asst., give them the VIN #, identified the Ram as what I ordered, and got an estimated date of completing as the end of the first week in March to the second week. My Ram is being assembled in Mexico.

My next problem is to find out how to trace the Mexican railroad schedule. Happy...Happy...maybe my letter was a waist of time, but I believe it helped to change my mood from sad to happy.
    Robert, most people are not familiar with the potential problems with trailer brake systems. What concerns me is the liability angle, where experts show why you contributed to the accident even though the other guy caused the mess.

I've been trailering boats since 1957. The last 20 years I've been towing a 6300# rig (24 ft.cuddy) with a CJ-5 with a six and a T-18 4 spd. transmission. I drive side streets to the ocean some 7 miles away at 25 mph carefully. I need a granny low gear 4x4 to get out of the ramp during low tide. I now (retirement) to take my boat elsewhere, therefore the V-10 (up hills), the 5-spd (engine braking downhill and granny), 4x4 (to launch/retrieve), 8ft bed (to tote by 10 foot rubber raft dingy), slip differential (to minimize yaw while braking), gas not diesel to share boat gas tank (100 gal) with Ram and vice versa in the boonies, etc.

To compromise a surge brake with roller mechanism distributive hitch system assumes the mechanism will always work. Thats why boat trailer makers doen't sell these gagets. They are after market, and good luck in court if you have an accident. If you don't use a roller gaget, then structure has to be in the right place all the time. After the accident you can try and prove it!

I choose the 2500 with camper package because then I can avoid the above problems with over kill. I can easily carry a hitch weight of 625 pounds. By not purchasing the trailer package, I don't let Dodge off the liable hook (suspension dynamics) with their 5000# weight carrying limit imposed by their stock hitch. I will use a Reese 7500 # weight carrying hitch to make it legal.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but my approach seems simple to me. Overdesigned truck, overdesigned hitch, hitching the trailer is much easier, my surge brakes cannot be compromised by the hitch, and it costs less money (and weight) overall. Note that the V-10 motor weight up front helps in the vehicle dynamics if I drive at speed limits.

Anyhow, I feel better trailering the old fashion way where I have experienced the behavior of a load carrying hitch in backing up, parking, and plain driving in general. You electric brake types out there, ignor the above, just don't launch your boat in salt water too often.
    Still in "D" status. Has been for near 2 weeks. I though "D" usually lasted only a few days before going "D1". But I guess its still better than the "BG" and "BX" I was in so long.
  • sclivingstonsclivingston Member Posts: 9
    What kind of fuel mileage experience are some of you Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L Cummins diesel owners having? Am considering buying a 2500 Quad cab 4x4 with the diesel and automatic to pull a 5th wheel trailer.
    I phoned up the direct extention to my Corp file today to see if the result of me mailing a letter to Corp made a difference. The gal said that their was a restriction on V-10 5 spd and that I was on BGL restriction. Now that does not match up with the info from my Fleet Dealer. I have a Vin # with an approximate build date, confirmed by Customer Assistance when I gave them the Vin #. Therefore that Corp file is B.S.

It looks like you have to depend on your dealer to get your truck built. If it turns out that I'm in fairy land and that there is no D1 truck being built, maybe I'll just check out and wait until next year and buy a truck off the lot. In the mean time, I assume my VIN # is the real thing and there is a Ram V-10 5 spd. currently being assembled. Maybe Corp files does not process information from Mexico.
  • y2kramy2kram Member Posts: 5
    In response to sclivingston's question:

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 4wd, 4.10 axles, 6 speed manual transmission, Cummins ETH. So far, around town, stop and go, I am getting 14.7 mpg. On the short highway trips I have made, it looks like about 20 mpg highway. Tomorrow I am making a 150 Mile trip with a heavy trailer. I will let you know what the mileage is on that.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I own a 98 24v and I live in Alaska during the winter I get about 12 mpg when it gets below -20F due to a lot of idling. When the Temp is above -20 I get about 16 running around town and 20 on the highway this is when I have to use #1 fuel. In the summer I can use #2 fuel and I get about 24 on the highway and still about 16 in the city. Towing a 5000# boat I get around 17 in the mountains.
    You didn't happen to order yours from Don Schmid Dodge in Wichita Ks. did you? I called my extention again today and no call back after a couple of hours. As far as I know I'm still in "D" status as of Monday. ... Took my wife's Camero to a shoot down in Texas last weekend as my trucks tires are getting a little thin after 54K and I don't want to buy new tires at this point. Boy it sure an't compfortable to sit in for a long drive. Had lots of rain and I thought I was going to get stuck getting in and out a dirt road. Hoping to go back down there end of March and it looks like I'll be driving the Camero again. ... Rich
    I bought my 2500 from the fleet manager at Downey Dodge in Downey Cal. Nice guy, he phones me every Thursday. I originally made an offer to buy from another local 5-star dealer, Cerritos Dodge. They would not get back with me, so I shopped some more down the freeway. The irony is that I could not find one reg cab V-10 5 speed in So. Cal. to test drive, much less drive. We couldn't even find any Rams with the camel interior ether. When I asked the Dealers why not, they said there was no demand for them. Now I am beginning to think that Dodge made some business decision to sell their Quad cabs for whatever the reasons.

Well, at least I cleaned out and painted my garage. Next monday I'll phone customer assistance with my VIN # and see if my truck is being built or not in Mexico. Its like who knows what Santa is going to give me for Xmas, if anything.
  • rocketdrrocketdr Member Posts: 4
    It`s here, pick it up in morn.Sure wish one of you guys had one to give me some tip`s. I guess i will struggel through.If anyone wants to know i will come back and tell how it runs.Good luck to you guys still waiting.
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    I ordered my truck last week. When will the dealer have the V.I.N. or V.O.N. Or do they already know them. I want to play the truck tracking game, but I have to have my game piece.

nascar6
    The VON shouldn't take more than 2 weeks. The VIN will take longer. How long can depend on those pesky restrictions.
    Nascar6 try the following site for phone number and status codes: http://www.dodgeram.com/buying_info/Order_status.htm Rich
    Today I'm told I'm still in "D" status with no firm build date, BUT I have an approximate built date of 3/6-10! Thans next week! Could it be built next week? I thought to have a date it needed to be "D1". According to the rep I talked to the plant puts in an approximate date and later firms it up. 24 weeks 2 days. .... Rich
    Just phoned customer asst. with my VIN # and the guy says my Ram will be built on Saturday (Mar 4). He then said that they did not know how much time it would wait in the parking lot until loaded on a railcar, then he could give me the railroad car #. He said that they use several railroad lines to ship out of Mexico. He said they would try to select the line shipping closest to Los Angeles. Anyhow, I know what they can do with my personalized Corporation File that will supervise the build of my truck for special me. (The file says BGL restricted).
  • indyff83indyff83 Member Posts: 13
    That web site for the order info works really nicely. Has anyone heard about Chrysler recalling a bunch of transmissions? A buddy of mine said that a girl that goes to school with his wife work for Chrysler and she said they are recalling a bunch of '99 and '00 trannies. On the other talk group about the Rams there is a guy that his six speed just went out on him! I thought they had these problems solved!
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Hi, I own a 2000 ram diesel 4x4 qc, 3.5 gears and auto tranny. When I shift from park to rev, it shifts awfuly hard, almost like a thud. It only does it after the engine warms up, when it's cold it's barley noticleble, but when its warm doens't matter if you on falt or on a angle it shifts really hard into reverse. From drive to rev, it shifts frimly but not as firm as from park to rev, Is this normal with the auto and diesel or should I get it looked at?
    Mine was shipped on 2/19 traced it to salem IL.from Larado TX. it got to IL on sunday 2/27 still waiting. I could of walked faster then the train. I never got D1 they gave me an estimated delivery date and they were just about on the money. You got 2 to 3 weeks for dilivery My son ordered his 3weeks after I did 2/8 from the same dealer and his, is on it's way. Figure it out and he isn't in a hurry.
    Called the 800 number today and I'm still showing in "D" status. Have been that for about 4 weeks. Normally a vehicle is in "D" status for only a week before going "D1". Then he informed me their system had not been updated since 2/15! Sounds worthless to me. Called the salesman yesterday and he said also it was "D" and would call me if he hears something. But he's never called so far so I don't expect he will now. Customer service said that if I've been in "D" status for over a week the dealer should be able to call distrbution and get the latest skinny. But this dealer has seemed to do nothing so far to keep me informed. ... Rich
  • townsend5townsend5 Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking of ordering a new ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 with a 5.9l engine, auto. trans., sport and off road packages. Does any one have any suggestions for must have options or anything to watch out for? I would appreciate any input
    Checked on order status today. Truck is in BG status. She said waiting on the eth (cummins). No mention of a 6 speed delay.
    Ordered truck 2/24.
    23 weeks behind you Rich!

nascar6
    They loaded my 2500 V-10 5 spd 4x4 etc. on a railroad car in San Lucas, Mexico and started chugging to trip through Monterey, Matamorin, and to Loredo, Texas this morning at 8 o'clock. Unless it is highjacked becuase of its beautiful red color, it should be in Loredo Saturday. From there the railroad car will be pulled to Miraloma Ca., and trucked to the Dealer in Downey.

I'm going to phone up customer service on Friday to see if my special customer file has taken the Ram off of restriction yet.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I cant believe you let them string you along for that long . you are getting jerked around .....but you seem to like to complain about it
    And what would you do about it? I thought this was a site folks could tell there experiences and status of their orders. Or is it after 12 weeks (or some number you choose) I'm not allowed to post? I admitted previously I made the mistake of not verifiy the dealer had an allocation early on. I hoped other would learn from it. But since early December it has had one hold after another. Reordering from another dealer would only cost me more money and would not get around the holds. Maybe I could have ordered a Ford, their V10 has a 5 month wait. But should I start over when possibly it is being built this week? ... Rich
    Those customer service people don't know squat because their computer system is not up to date. If they gave you an estimated build date then you have to at least wait until that date passes.
    The estimated build date was this week. Cann't back out now. In case some of you are wondering, I did ask the dealer (Don Schmit Dodge) to search for a similar vehicle back in December. They couldn't find one. I didn't trust that so I went to another dealer (Davis Mooore Dodge) Told them what I wanted and didn't want to order so they searched, no luck. I conplained to my dealer. They appologized but said it was completely out of there hands and nothing they could do (I doubt that) and offered my money back. 12 weeks had went by by then and it didn't make sense to start over. Course if I had known it would be this long maybe I would have made a different decission then. All I can say so far is I would not reccomend Don Schmit to anyone else. But other than that jumping up and down screaming and yelling will not get my truck here any sooner at this point. The dealer will just give me my money back and sell my truck to someone else as soon as they get it for a bigger profit. It would be different if these truck were a slow moving item. The customer service center thought the system would be updated by this Friday(tomorrow). ... Rich
  • jerryg5jerryg5 Member Posts: 29
    Rich-
    I have been reading with interest your unbelieveable saga with your new truck. They are really jerking you around. Your situation concerns me. I ordered essentially the same truck (except mine is a 4x2 and a 3.54) on 29 Jan and the dealer told me to expect delivery in about 4- 6 weeks. Now, after reading your posts, I don't have much faith in that prediction. My wife would kill me if we have to wait as long as you have.

My problem is that the dealer already has my trade (98 Ram 1500). I signed it over to him when I placed the order. My rational was that I thought it would be worth less if I waited until the new one came in (more miles,etc). Besides, my wife had knee surgery and couldn't drive so we could get along with one car for awhile. Also, I thought I could save a little on insurance. Now I am getting nervous...my wife is almost ready to drive and no wheels.

I wanted to ask you....I see you ordered the 4.10 rather than the 3.54. Do you have a strong opinion on that choice? I seleced the 3.54 for the expected better fuel economy and, according to Dodge, they will tow the same load. I currently have a 7000# TT that I towed with my '98 Ram 1500 with the 5.9. It did an OK job but didn't set any records on hills. I plan to order a 10000# max loaded weight fith wheel (29' Sunnybrook) very soon and thought the v10/3.54 combo would work because of the 3000#+ cushion between the max tow rating of the truck (13000#)and the actual (10000#) weight of the trailer. Now I wonder if I shouldn't try and change to the 4.10. I only plan on towing about 25% of the time. The balance would be normal empty driving (The truck would be our #1 vehicle).
    Any thoughts on that?

Good luck on your truck. I'll keep following your posts.
    Jerryg
    I am guessing, but maybe the problem is really that someone has it in against your sales guy, and you are caught in between them without your knowledge (like owner will not sell at the agreed price unless all other customers disappear)

As it turns out, my sales guy is John Melendez, Fleet Director at Downey Dodge/Dodge Fleet in Cal. He can be reached at johnm@downeydodge.com Maybe he can help you out. This guy has been square and fair with me. He has phone me on a weekly basis. I do think he has friends in high places, given my attempts to get info out of Dodge customer service like..do you plan to build a V-10 in the month of Feb.

Maybe he can drop ship a Ram at your place or something.

Any how, I'm happy that my Ram is on a railroad car clicking-clacking to its new home in my garage. I can hear it right now! I've got the railroad map from www.uprr.com/uprr/ffh/maps/sysmap_46.shtm to follow it right to my driveway.
    I do have a real interest in the 4.10 rearend. They did find two trucks similar to what I wanted except they were 3.54. First, I have the SLT+ package ordered. Its hard to find a truck with that and then if you have 3.54 on top of that it will have terrinble performance in my opinion. The SLT plus comes with LT265 tires which would give an awfully high rearend equivelency. Compared to the 3.54 LT245 it would be about 3.3 or there abouts. With the larger tires and 4.10 I'll be equivilent to a LT245 with 3.73 or so. I test drove two V10's with 3.54 and LT245 and was not impressed. As far as Dodge's rating them the same I don't believe it. Ford and Chevy don't. There's more to pulling a heavy load than how much it will hold before the axle breaks. What about acceleration up a freeway on ramp pulling a heavy load? The lower axle (4.10) should perform better. And secondly, I have put up with a 3.42 on my current Chevy for three years. It doesn't get any better mileage than a 3.73 and its a dog. I'm ready for a little more get up and go. Yea I realize its a truck and its heavy. Not going to perform like a sports car, but still it should perform better than the 3.54 or my current 3.42 350. Right or wrong thats what I want and for the money I'm spending I don't want to take less and always be dissatisfied. I cann't recommend you get the 4.10 cause I never drove one and am guessing it will perform better. Maybe it won't accelerate any better than the 3.54. Just my guess. ... Rich
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I didnt mean to upset you ,you can wait another 25 weeks for all i care . I guess we cant complain when corporate America knows Americans will wait in line and keep there mouths shut.Think about that the next time you are waiting in a supermarket or department store checkout line and three quarters of the checkouts are not staffed. If I was in your situation I would have walked.
    Rich,

I've learned a little from your unfortunate waiting period. After I told the salesperson the options I wanted, worked out a price, I then asked about their allocations. I didn't even know what they were until I read your posts. I wonder how many people ask a salesperson how many allocations do you get a month/year. As for keeping your mouth shut, it seems to me that the 1-800 folks must be on a first name basis with you. Oh, BTW, my allocation question was answered with "we're a 5-star dealership, it's not a problem. We can get it" Was your ordering dealership a 5-star?

nascar6
  • y2kramy2kram Member Posts: 5
    Dear JerryG,

I just got a Ram 2500, 4wd, cummins ETH with the 4.1-0 axle and lt265 x 75 tires with the 6 speet tranny. With that combination, the axle is just right. It DOES drive like a sports car. At 1650 rpm, I am doing 50 mph. 2150 gives me 70 and at 2600 (the top of the torque curve), I don't want to tell the highway patrol how fast I am going. I have pulled a load of about 6,000 lbs, and the truck simply didn't know it was there.

There is an associated health issue with this truck. Since I got it, I have been grinning so much that my gums are getting a bad sunburn.

y2kram
    Yes, my dealer is a 5 star. And the two other in town are also. I'm begining to belive a dealership has to be pretty bad not to be a 5 star. But I've never seen any details on how they go about getting a 5 star rating. ... At the time I ordered mine I knew Chevy dealerships were having problems with allocations. But I was unaware Dodge works the same way. Don't know about Ford. But most Chevy dealers are honest about there allocations. I don't know about Dodge. I do know about this dealership. ... Rich
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    It's my understanding that allocation has nothing to do with a dealer's 5-star rating. That rating is based on the service department (training, satisfaction ratings, etc.) only. Anybody know any different?
    These trucks are not a high damand item, look on the roads how many 3500's do you see, how many diesels compared to gas do you see. How many people want to spend $3400 on a diesel with the prices of fuel where there at. Were a very small group I'm not having trouble with DC they were on the money with the time it would take to build. My problem is with transit. I'ts been on a train for 21 days and knowbody knows where it is all I know is its between Salem IL and Ridgefield NJ for 2 weeks and as close as it is. I told the dealer if it's not here by next week they can keep it. My money is good anywear and I'm tired of the bullxxxx They told me 6 to 8 week no longer, it's going on 12 thats breech of contract and I want my money back.
This discussion has been closed.