Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Pat, and others

Not sure if this bothers anybody else, but recently whenever I access the Edmund's Forums I get the "car honking horn" sound effects! Can't say this is the biggest issue in the world right now but if you are trying to sneak a peak at Edmunds a few times during your work day it does alert other cube dwellers! Might be nice to silence the beast for that reason... :D

Mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Look at the bottom of your message center - you have an option to turn it off. Email if you need any more information. ;)
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Another oil change variation - My dealer charged for the first (just past 1000 miles) change ($30 Cdn= $36 US)but provided free shuttle service from and to, and all subsequent oil changes are free, provided regular maintenance is done by the dealer.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    gws-
    now that does sound like a typical catch - 'provided regular maintenance is done by the dealer'. Don't know how the rest of you feel about this - but I always thought that the dealer is proably the worst place to have your car worked on unless, of course, it is a warranty issue.
    The better true mechanics, probably, independents because why let somebody else (the dealer) bill out my time at $80.00/hour when I'm actually getting paid $25. Getting your car in on a regular basis is a license to steal sometimes and maybe why they are 'giving away' oil changes - you would be amazed about the number of things found wrong that there is nothing wrong with. recommendation - if you aren't going to do the regular maintenance yourself, find a good and trustworthy independent mechanic.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Good points. Let me share something that happened 2 weeks ago and while this portion of the board is not for Highlanders, it's applicable to other cars as well.
    Took my wife's 04 LTD Highlander into a dealership I had never used for the 5K oil change. First time there, so they had to take down all the details; car has approx 25K miles on it.
    They completed the change & the service "advisor" came to me to tell me she needed her transmission fluid changed (it was dirty) and the cabin air filter needed to be changed (for $60). I told them we would pass & consider it at the 30K checkup.
    Got home and just for grins checked to see if they had completed the 21 POINT FLUID TOPOFF they so proudly advertised. They had not & I proceeded to add about 1.5 qts of windshield wash into the reservoir. Got to thinking about the cabin air filter and looked into the manual to see what it takes to change it...gotta remove the glove box to even remove the filter...so how did they know it was dirty because I know for a fact the box had not been removed? Annndddd, they missed the freebie windshield fluid top off!
    You got it captain2 - it is a license to steal & I pity the single female or even some guys who don't have a clue! The "advisor" scares you to death with his recommendationso he can lighten your checkbook! I am definitely in the market for a good independent who uses genuine Toyota parts. Not all dealers are like this but they are few & far between, in my opinion! I had an independent when I lived in Northern Va who worked on my Lexus - sure wish I could find one like him in Kansas!
    zekeman1
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    I Finally ordered my Blizzard Pearl Limited today.

Ordered the graphite interior with VS, CF, and PC as the only options. Paid $32024+TTL. For more details, see message #728 on the "Toyota Avalon: Prices paid and buying experience" page.

I would like to thank all the contributors to this forum for all of their great posts. These posts certainly helped me make an informed decision. The education I have received from reading 10000 or so posts tended to make me an "expert" when dealing with less informed sales people.

Because of this "expertise", I was able to recognize the "apples and oranges" comparisons as well as see the "snowballs" when they tried to roll them by.

Thanks to all of you, this was the first time I felt "in control" when making a vehicle purchase.
    Rod
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    That's a GREAT price! Don't forget that you must pay an additional .3% sales tax on vehicle purchases but are prohibited from deducting this extra amount on your tax return.
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Zekeman, reality is far worse than you imagine. While in college, I worked part time for a GM dealer, primarily cleaning cars. They had a couple of regular service customers who were businesswomen. These were not naive ladies; one was a bank Vice President. Both left their cars for oil changes at about half the factory-recommended intervals. Knowing that, the service dept simply skipped the oil change at every other visit (but still charged the customer for it). Instead of an oil change, they had me clean and vacuum the interior, then glue a new oil change sticker on the door pillar.

I don't know how widespread this practice was (or is), but I observed them skip dozens of paid-for front end alignments and tire rotations as well.

Conditioned by those experiences, I always mark an essential bolt, cover, or fastener with a paint line before leaving any car for service. Even now, I catch them red-handed about 25% of the time. Most deny it outright. Imagine how clever they were to change the transmission fluid and internal filter without ever disturbing the filler cap or one of the pan bolts.
    And the problem really gets to be that technology, as good as it has been for overall vehicle reliability, has made it almost impossible to keep the 'mechanic' away from your car. Which is why, my last 5 car purchases all from Japanese mfgrs. - hoping, obviously, to avoid the ripoffs and also the inconvenience of a car in a service dept.
    Most people don't seem to understand that service depts. are under some serious pressure to not just make a bunch of money but also to maximize dollars per visit. This applies even to that little 'quik lube' place on the corner - an explanation of why you are deluged with all sort of extra (and likely unnecessary) work requests when all you wanted was a simple oil change.
    I am 50 years old and still enjoy servicing and repairing cars - but, it is getting more difficult. My neighbors wonder why I spend my time this way, and scratch their heads when the see my new cars on stanchions in my driveway! But, in addition to my Av, I currently have 3 Nissans, with up to 120k miles and none has ever been back to the dealer.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Sounds like those dealers need to be visited by the hidden camera local TV station expose investigator team!!!

Give them a call with the information about how you caught them not doing certain things and charging for it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Don’t get the impression these practices are limited to Dealers; I have caught tire and alignment shops even more often. First, unless corroborated by an “insider” these contentions are impossible to prove. Second, faced with strong evidence, the service person will claim forgetfulness, or an unintended error. Third, keeping the matter private often yields a more advantageous outcome. Let me offer a true case example. I had skidded at very low speed into a curb during a snowstorm, and the car now pulled slightly to the right. Possibly a slightly bent tie rod. I marked the tie rod ends and caster/camber bolts with paint and left the car at an alignment shop, describing only the slight pull on a sheet of paper I gave them. If I had divulged the skidding incident, this would have been a carte-blanch invitation to sell me lots of new front end parts.
    Upon return that evening, I quickly noticed the odometer had only advanced less than 0.1 mile (meaning no road test could have been performed), and all the paint marks were pristine. The subsequent interchange went like this:

“I had marked the tie rod ends with paint lines so I could see how much adjustment was required”, “the lines are undisturbed; are you sure they did not forget to do the work by mistake?”

(look of child with hand in cookie jar) “Let me call the Tech and have him pull the alignment rack slip.”

(Tech arrives, without a slip, and they confer privately) “When he measured the car on the machine, he found no adjustments were necessary.”

“Then why did you charge me for an alignment?”

“To cover the Tech time and use of the alignment machine.”

“If no adjustments were done, won’t it still pull to the right?”

(confers with Tech a second time) “We didn’t feel any pull to the right.”

“I wrote the odometer reading on the symptoms description sheet I gave you. It has only advanced less than one tenth of a mile. How did you determine there was no drift without actually driving it?”

(yet another conference with the Tech) “If you leave the car with us for another day, we’ll look at it again, and there will be no charge for the alignment.”
    As many of you know a discount source for Toyota parts and accessories is actually a dealer in Houston, Calvert Toyota. Parts inquiries have been answered and quoted almost immediately via anythingtoyota.com. Just picked about $100 worth of filters/wiperblades etc. over there, had the order already pulled and waiting with my name on it. The retail display is about average for a dealer but you could tell by the amount of inventory that the place was really designed for shipment other places. UPS must love them. Since our Av parts are not generally available yet aftermarket and/or many of us prefer genuine Toyota parts recommend everybody check it out. Save some $ perhaps?
  • endovitendovit Member Posts: 31
    Haven't been able to determine exactly what activates the auto wipers. I know where the switch is, just concerned now that the weather is getting colder. If I've got it in the auto position and it snows - gets slushy etc... and then freezes, what happens when I start the beast? Since the wiper arms are only half the length of the blade, I'm a bit concerned that they will attempt to automatically wipe while frozen to the windshield. Is there something in there that understands its cold out or should I just not use the auto setting during winter?
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Just had my transmission oil change at the dealer in Gaithersberg MD and along with a complete inspection of my 98 Avalon with 102,000 miles on it. the only thing needing further maintenance (which I knew) was wiper blades which they installed for a total of $12. They have changed the oil and filter on my 05 Avalon Ltd and charge $20 total (inclusive of new filter and 6.5 qts of oil). I too am very hesitant taking my car anywhere for service so I always stay with the car. Some dealers are legitimate and fair.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Some dealers are legitimate and fair....

".....Just had my transmission oil change......"

And I'll bet you paid for an extra 11-12 quarts of ATF for "flushing" (and a disposal fee, to boot) that either went down the drain or was sold to a re-refinery

Nuff said.
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Current CARQUEST promotion offers Vehicle Remote Start System
    for $45.95. (Bypass module required for some applications is $19.95)Claims 400-foot range. CarQuest store locations are listed at:

http://www.carquest.com/locator.htm
    Which actually serves to illustrate my point: there is no way that any commercially viable enterprise changes your oil for $20 - not even with rotgut mineral oils, a filter,and maybe $10 of high school kid mechanic trainee labor. These folks are entitled to make money too - so either they charged $20 to pull the dipstick and decided it didn't need replacing and/or there is an ulterior motive - meaning to keep you coming back for more - sooner or later they will win. If it is too good to be true, it generally is. Or maybe I'm just an opinionated old SOB (this is true) that doesn't understand how legitimate and fair service depts. are?
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    my front passenger side window wont work from the driver side button :( only the passenger side button :( so weird i'll tell them about this prob in the 5000m service :(
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I had the same problem. the toyota folks told me there wasn't anything wrong and it works fine. Made me feel like a dummy.I had read the manual and thought there was something wrong. Maybe locking the car and opening it several times might work. Switching the window lock at the driver side several times. Anyway it now works. ange1
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    that's why i stay with my car at all times to watch exactly what they are doing (putting on new filter, draining oil, etc.) BTW I was charged for 5 quarts of transmission oil and the total cost for the job including taking down the pan, cleaning the filter and replacing the gasket was $74. I am savvy enough to know what has to be done to properly maintain a car. I don't believe in 6,000 mile or any checkups. Transmission servicing as well as radiator flush is done every 30,000 miles. The air filter i change myself. tires are rotated and balanced (i have a lifetime contract-$60) every 5,000 miles. Brakes i keep a close watch, etc.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I had the same problem a few days after I got mine. P. 41 of the manual explains how to correct the problem. Under "To normalize the power window". (2nd column)
    THANKS ALOT DUDE can u tell me from wher eu got ur manual ? or do u mean that thick book from the factory inside the glovebox ?

thanks
    ok i just toke alook at the manual page 41 and it shows how to acivate and deactivate the thieft system nothing about passenger window been stuck :(

plz help
    thanks
  • riley3riley3 Member Posts: 29
    We had rain yesterday with snow last night so I had same concerns about wipers freezing. I read the manual and will now leave wiper lever in off position, then decide if I should move lever to mist (one swipe), auto, low speed or high speed as conditions warrant. Automatic setting can be set for sensitivity too.
    After 5,100 miles my '05 LTD transmission likes me. It is smooth and does not miss a beat. Love the car.
    ok actuly i played in the alarm and lock unlocked the car and it fixed it self lmao !!!
    but i noticed somthing for the ppl who might get this prob when the passenger side button light indicates that means u have to do the things i did ! so when u see the passenger side button light dosent indicates that means its back to normal ! if that makes any sens tho !

anyway i got another qustion that i really wanted to know ! since i got the car i received 4 rubbers ! in plastic ! written on them IMPORTANT ! TO PREDELEVIREY INSPECTOR : INSERT THESE RUBBER PLUGS INTO THE HOLES OF THE CENTER FLOOR SIDE MEMBER EXTENSIONS. !!!
    can anyone tell me where shall i plus thoes rubbers in !? and why is that rubbers for !

thanks aloot and appreciated :shades:
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    I just found this blurb on a Fox 2 News website under Murray's Money Matters. For all of us that bought new Avalons, might this apply? Maybe run this by your tax preparer.....

"This year you can write off your sales tax paid rather than your state income tax. Figure out how much you paid in local and state sales tax and how much in state income tax. If the sales tax is greater, you can deduct that.
    This may help people who made very large purchases last year, such as cars or major appliances."
    I think these plugs prevent road salt and similar corrosive materials from entering the welded box sections of the frame. They are probably not essential in your region.

It should be OK to wait for your 5000 mile service, then ask the dealer to insert them.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I don't deny that they were probably taking you for a ride, especially if they tried to get you to change the transmission fluid. However, the cabin air filter is something you should replace at certain intervals, not when it "looks" dirty. It will cause your HVAC to lose effiency over time and should be replaced per the maintenance schedule. So it is valid to say that you need it changed even without looking at it. According to http://tinyurl.com/ahfzt, it should be changed first at 20K miles.
  • avalonguy05avalonguy05 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information concerning resetting the Maintainece Required light. I gave the manual a cursory read but paid more attention to the cd. The instructions were clear and they worked.
  • avalonguy05avalonguy05 Member Posts: 3
    Lucky you - my dealer offered me $10 off coupon. When they have over a thousand cars in inventory to sell, they don't need to give away free oil changes.
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    I had the same problem. Found 4 rubber plugs in the glove compartment. The Toyota service manager confirmed that he should have installed them under the floor boards. He said that they are definitely required. Didn't take long for him to install them.
  • prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    For those of you who drive in the snow have you found it necessary or worthwhile to put on snow tires or do the tires that come with the car work okay? And if you did buy snow tires, what kind did you buy? Thanks.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    The service manager here says they aren't required in this part of the country and did not install them.
    would be interested to know from all of you, which trim you chose and why. Judging by this forum, sure seems like the majority went full boat, and don't know what the actual sales distribution is by trim - but also feel that it was a good move by Toyota to expand the offerings in the Avalon line.
    My choice the Touring: personally prefer the harder and sportier feel and 'European' interior look, and specifically did not want to complicate the car with a bunch of electronics. Love the Xenons. Still the smoothest, quietest, and one of the quickest cars I've ever owned - but not nearly so isolating as my neighbor's Ltd.
    Bought last April, now with 16k miles, not been back to the dealer except for the steering recall. 26.5 mpg overall, 70% highway - where we all drive 80 (Texas)
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    Get a new service manager. There are holes in the bottom of your car.

Regards
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    The thick book from the factory inside the glovebox. Maybe yours is different from mine since we are in different countries? Here are directions from my book:
    "To Normalize the power window"

1. Push down the power window switches of each front door and lower the windows halfway.
    2. Pull up the switches until the windows close and hold the switches for a second.

I did this on mine the second time it happened and it worked. The dealer reset them the first time it happened. He said sometimes if the door is slammed hard or something, it will make them malfunction, so he showed me these instructions in the book.

Hope it works for you.
  • denali1denali1 Member Posts: 21
    I've had my Avalon just a week. Living in Alaska, we do get snow and ice. The Avalons regular tires did ok on snow, but not great on icy patches. (My Avy has stability and traction control). So I bought snow tires a few days ago. They are Bridgestone Blizzaks. Also used these tires previously on my Volvo S70 and wifes Olds Bravada. They are excellent. Work like studs, without the studs. Grip is very good. Pricy though. About $155 plus tax and installation.
  • 05avforum05avforum Member Posts: 25
    You will also have to reset the automatic window (as per these instructions) and also the sunroof after disconnecting the battery.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    denali1,

Good to hear from an Avalon owner way up North of us temperate Canadians!

It is reassuring that you opted for the FWD Avalon to replace your AWD Volvo S70, given your driving conditions.

Thanks for the tip on the Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. Snow and ice are infrequent in Vancouver so I haven't used winter tires in the past, but your report of improved performance on icy patches is an important consideration. Did your Avalon come with Michelins?

havalongavalon
  • 06ltd06ltd Member Posts: 25
    I am still awaiting the firmware update that corrects the problem, but I've since followed the advice in 05avforum's reply to my original post and selected the iPod UI from the Dension menu. That works just fine for the time being. Eventually the firmware update will fix this and I can wait. I'm delighted to have the iPod available in the interim.

Thanks much to 05avforum for his advice. :)
    Wife's car. Limited with all but sat radio, spoiler, and mud guards. Want to add mudguards and third-party door trim. Love the Nav; jury's out on the laser cruise. Comfortable, luxurious, fast, and efficient. Wish it had folding mirrors and mirrors that dip when parallel parking. Would prefer stiffer suspension, but want the Limited bling and am concerned that the stiffness might cause chassis/body noise problems as miles build. Great value.
    Sounds like Fitzgerald. Although I was once a mechanic in college (back when you could see past the engine block to the shop floor), I no longer do my own work. After the warranty period is over, the car goes to a good independent. I go to Fitzgerald now and have for some time with prior cars. I've found them to be quite good and honest (unlike many dealers) if expensive.
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    Yes, I know there are a number of good after-market remote start systems. We put one on my wife's Hyundai.

BUT, if I have an Avalon Limited with Smart Key, I think there will be no way to avoid carrying the Toyota fob in order to open the doors and start it "locally". I definitely do not want to carry TWO fobs.

I'm wondering if there are Limited owners who have either

1) Found an aftermarket remote start that takes the place of the Smart Key fob in every sense

-OR-

2) Found a way to extend the range of the Toyota remote starter to something closer to the 1000ft range commonly found on aftermarket units.

I know this is a long shot -- just wondered if others have solved the problem. OR, if others have found that Toyota's range is actually much greater than the claimed 80 feet.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    06ltd -

Please update us when you do get the firmware update. There are others of us (or at least me) still interested in integrating the iPod into the Avy. Thanks.

Max
  • denali1denali1 Member Posts: 21
    havalongavalon,
    Yes, the Avalon did come with the Michelins. They are the Enery MX type. Seem to be good tires.
    We had some real icy roads today....snow melting, then refreezing, etc. The Blizzaks were great.
    The FWD Avalon was a risk for me, but I felt better about it with the Stability/traction control included. Everything ok so far.
    Didn't realize Vancouver saw so little snow! We can get anywhere from 35 inches to 120 inches per winter in Anchorage. Varies greatly.

denal1
  • 44394439 Member Posts: 21
    I talked with a company in regards to installing an after market remote start for my Limited. He said that it would be impossible. The transmitter inside of the FOB needs to be present to start the car. If he would install a remote start it would turn the engine over but the engine would never start. The remote start would need to come from Toyota. He said some car companies allow you to extend the range of remote starters but Toyota is not one of them. Every February there is a convention with new auto inventions and updates...... he stated I should contact him after this time to see if something new has come along.
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks very much, 4439. This is about what I expected but wondered if someone out there could confirm it. This is the great thing about these forums -- collective knowledge!

Thanks again.
  • oldguy1oldguy1 Member Posts: 3
    I am negotiating to buy with Sport City Toyota in Dallas. Probably will be Touring or XL (I don't like the fake wood or extra electronics on other models.) Did you get a dealer invoice when you purchased in Texas? Specifically, did you have the items M.A.F., T.D.A., P10-HB, Finance Reserve, Base Veh HB? I expected the delv/proc/hand of $635.

OldGuy1
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I ordered a Limited because it was a bargin for me. All of the extras for somewhere around 2000.00 sounded good to me. Different rims, tires, has rear view mirrors with markers, auto water sensitive wipers, smart key, heated seats, better radio, and more. The car is quiet on a smmoth road with all of the insulation used. The steering is a bit heavy, could use more assist. The front end is heavy and dips down at stops. The brakes are good. The grill, with the laser speed control, located at the passenger side, looks weird. They should have set the grill off with a similiar opening on the opposite side. Rear window view leaves alot to be desired.

Owners hve been commenting about the distortion in the rear window. There is a reason for this, cost. If Toyota can speck out a windshield without disortions, why can't they do the same for the rear window. Despite the issues, the car, overall, is a good one. ange1
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    Don't contribute often, but happy to oblige your question. We wanted leather seats, so we began with choosing the touring, but then took a test drive. The stiffness of the suspension created too uncomfortable of a ride; that, and the lack of stability control (2005 year), moved us to consider a higher-end model. We only briefly toyed with the idea of getting an XLS, however; the Limited had simply too many good things for a modest increase in price. What a deal! The clinchers, believe it or not, were the Nav and the preset seat/mirror positions, which were only available in the Limited. No more need to adjust things after my wife drives the car; I just wish the rear view mirror adjusted as well.

Best surprises AFTER buying are the smart key and auto wipers. The car recognizes me when I approach and enter: I don't even need to push the memory buttons; the seat and mirrors automatically move into my positions. The Nav is everything I thought it would be, and more. Despite what others say, I find it easy to use and very accurate. I don't think of it as costing $2000; I'm really paying only $1 per day for it in my car payments, and that's really worth it.

Biggest disappointments are things I have yet to see mentioned here: the lack of a day/night mirror and the "automatic" climate system. The "automatic" rear-view mirror appears to respond to the total amount of light hitting it, not to the intensity of any one light source hitting it. So, a very small but intense source (like a distant headlight behind me) still is fully reflected in the mirror and into my dark-sensitive eyes. The mirror does not "green out" until the car approaches closely behind. In the case of the climate system, the automatic sensors seem to compare the *outside* temperature to my desired temperature, not the inside temperature. Even on a cold day, the car interior can be quite hot if it has sat in the sun; yet, the auto climate system will continue to blast us with hot air. (The reverse has also happened in the summer with the A/C.) I'm constantly adjusting the temp and fan to try to keep comfortable.

All very minor complaints, however. We're very glad we bought the Avalon (we had been considering a Maxima). We've never looked back, and we really like the car.