Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mmyesqmmyesq Member Posts: 3
    I have noticed pricing mentioned for the new Avalon throughout this discussion. Where might I find a price list? I am assisting my parents with the purchase of a new Avalon to replace their 2001 XLS. I think the new Limited would be the ideal choice; without NAV or Laser cruise. This car looks much better than the older version!
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    Where might I find a price list?

Here: 2005 Avalon E-Brochure
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I just got an email from my local Toyota dealer and they just received the 05 Avalon Brochures. He is sending me one, will be interesting to see if it is the same as the eBrochure from the toyota.com site.
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    The following is information from Toyota on fuel.

"The fuel recommendation for the 2005 Avalon: Unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended."
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    With respect to these last comments, in theory, Toyota has been producing a large family car before the Avalon name change. Actually, the Cressida, although RWD, was a 5 passenger sedan, the preceded the Avalon. The concept was the same, the execution different, but Toyota was meeting that section of the market long before the Avalon name change.

abfisch
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Coluldn't be more in agreement. Premium gas requirements put a much different spin on this vehicle, as would a 38K price tag. To take word of mouth, would also be foolish. If the gas cap or the fuel guage reads "premium fuel only", then that is what the manufacturer recommends and warranties, not the mechanic or anyone else.

abfisch
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The gas cap/fuel gauge will not read Premium Fuel only, as the vehicle is designed to run best on mid-grade or better (91 Octane). It is stated that that is a recommendation, which means to me that it is not a requirement.

And, the vehicle maxes out at 38 grand, with every possible luxury item, including dynamic cruise control, NAV, etc. Compared to the asking prices for other vehicles with these features, that seems hardly unreasonable, if not necessarily the best value.

~alpha
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    Wow! Those improvements and sophistications are quite mindboggling.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    38.7K if you throw in the one "luxury" item you left out, XM satellite radio ($449). Do you have any info on this? I might consider it if it's "built in" to the existing JBL system, and not "hanging off" the bottom of the dash as an "add on". Price seems comparable to a maxed-out Infiniti G35; the latter has many similar features to the Avalon, but has 7" less rear leg room, and only a 11.3 cu ft trunk with a full-sized spare. Also orange "german look" instruments; like the "Lexus look" Avalon instruments much better.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    No dark green available! Good thing that Indigo Ink Pearl is available (I would've preferred a mica, but oh well).

A dark blue Avalon Touring with tinted windows and those "graphite" colored rims is going to look sweet! Mmmmmmmmm......

Such a beautiful car!
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Yes, there are options for the XL & Touring models even if the eBrochure doesn't list any. I found this on the Toyota Georgetown website. It clarifies a few more things.

http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/01avoptions.asp
    I hadn't noticed the production goal posted anywhere before. 100K for a shortened model year sounds like Toyota thinks they have a winner. I think I agree. Just can't wait to see one in person.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    I still find it strange that VSC is not available as an option on the Touring (and XL as well). I have a feeling that VSC will become available on the 06 or 07 XL & Touring models :(
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    I live in Rochester, MN. Our Ford/Toyota dealer is a one price dealer. I don't know what they are doing for price on the 05 Avalon, but in the past they have had the lowest price when I have checked other dealers and online. I have always liked the dealing process, but I sure respect their pricing. It's nice to find a dealer that treats you fairly without the usual games. If your dealer wants full sticker or more,you may want to try a dealer like this - and, have a long memory.
    In states with 2 plates, is the front plate mandatory?
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    I can only speak for NY and CA where it is mandatory but I assume it's the same for any state which issues front plates.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    Until last week, I was in love with the Chrysler 300C. You just couldn't beat it! 345hp, DVD Nav, Dual Climate, Stability Control, looks good and has an awesome price.

That was last week. Now I am in love with the 2005 Toyota Avalon.

To put things in to perspective, I owned a 2001 Toyota Avalon, sold it, and leased a 2002 Jaguar S-Type. Now I think im going to go back.

The 2001 was OK, nice ride, looked good, but didn't really knock you out.

But the 2005! WOW!

Why am I knocked out? The features!!!

The car looks FINE. Im my humble opinion, it does not look incredible, but it does not look bad either. I think it has the potential to look really good. But you need to do something with the wheels that come with the Limited, man are those ugly. But, maybe they look better in person.

I am going to buy this car, because:

1. 280 HP (for comparison, my 'sports car' Jag S-Type has 281 HP, remember the original Acura NSX? (250 HP) Last gen Infiniti Q45? (271 HP))

2. LASER CRUISE CONTROL!!! (Is there a car for under $45,000 that even offers it? Maybe an Infiniti FX35?)

3. DVD-Nav (Looks great, and if you have ever had nav, you will never go back. Apparently you can say 'I'm hungry' aloud, and it will list local restaurants. Is that cool or what?)

4. AC Seats! (very few sedans for under $45,000 are offering both heated and ac seats.)

5. Dual Climate Control (Once again, its becoming more common, but not very)

6. Keyless Entry and Start (Again, I think Infiniti is the only manufacturer offering this for close to $45,000, maybe a loaded VW Tourag)

And the list goes on: Power Rear Sunshade, Air Bags Galore, Tons Of Space, and we all know it will ride smooooth.

Honestly, other then the name, why would someone buy a Lexus LS430 over this car? What features does the LS430 offer that this car does not?

1. Rear Wheel Drive?

2. Power Rear Seats (instead of manual)?

3. 20 More HP?

Otherwise they both have the same luxury features.

Well, for those folks that don't like it this new Avalon, or think its a car for old folks, I say great! (P.S.-I'm not old, i'm 33 and LOVE cool cars.)

Because then the demand will be lower, and I will be able to get a better price.

My Lexus LS430, I mean Toyota Avalon will be available real soon!

(can ya tell I like this car?)

P.S.-Does anyone know whether the steering wheel adjustments are power? Or manual? (telescope, tilt, that sort of thing)
    The steering wheel adjustments are manual for both tilt and telescope, that's fine with me, according the brochure I just got from my dealer. I've already put down a deposit on the Limited. Dealer said they are expecting the Avalon to be available on Feb 14, Valentines Day - - - - how sweet !
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    Avalon Limited is a better value than Lexus ES330 or the Lexus LS430.

A topped out Lexus ES330 is $37,709, but for $601 more, you can get a topped out Avalon, which would include features not found in the Lexus ES330, just to name a few:

280 hp

Dynamic Laser Cruise

Turn signal and Puddle Lamp in side mirrors

360 watt 12 speaker system

Smart Key System

more interior space and etc.

You don't have to spend an exta $29,179 on the Lexus 430 to enjoy an 11+ speaker stereo system and to get Dynamic Laser Cruise.

Avalon Limited is a luxury value leader.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    How different is the ebrouchure from the actual paper brouchure?
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    An excerpt from a Toyota press release referring to the 2005 Avalon:

"New amenities include a seven-way adjustable steering column to provide drivers the option of various vertical and telescopic adjustments"
    Do you mind saying whether you paid MSRP or ? I know some people buy without ever seeing the car first, and with this car that's probably not a big risk, but don't think I could do it.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    I think it's a great package but "drop dead gorgeous" and the Avalon don't fit in the same sentence....
    The dealer brochure and the eBrochure are pretty much the same. I noticed that they updated the eBrochure to match the dealer brochure I received yesterday. Better pics in the dealer brochure since it's done on glossy paper.
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Well, over the last 8 years I have been a GM buyer. But four months ago we bought a Sienna XLS, and I love the quality, especially the interior. After that I ended up with the wifes 2004 loaded DENALI. LOTs of toys, but I am not a truck man anymore, and the interior feel is not luxury. The Sienna is nicer. So just for fun we stopped by the Toyota dealer today and looked at the Avalon brochure. AMAZING. I bought a Black Limited with ivory leather. Amazing features at the price of $36692 (no nav or laser, which I have, but almost never use - Not many roads in South Dakota).

I traded in the Denali, but have the option to sell it between now and than. Paid $35500 plus $49 paper work. Can not wait. Bye bye GM.
    Didn't take long! A dealer has a Limited listed for sale on eBay. Says he will have it by the end of the month.
  • passat1.8tpassat1.8t Member Posts: 8
    HID is standard equipment on Touring and Limited, while not available on the other 2 trims.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    "power driver's seat cushion length adjuster".

The sophisticated options just get better and better.
    Ahhhhh, but it's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

#1005 by bluesman3 Jan 15, 2005 (5:41 pm)

I think it's a great package but "drop dead gorgeous" and the Avalon don't fit in the same sentence....

• bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Based on that review (which could have been a little more detailed), we may have another Sienna on our hands.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Can anyone confirm are those real wood interior?

The limited and ES330 (with HID, VSC, Heat Seat, Wood Steering Wheel) are about the same price. How to justify Avalon over ES?
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    The limited and ES330 (with HID, VSC, Heat Seat, Wood Steering Wheel) are about the same price.

The Edmunds' True Market Value is actually $1,000 higher for Limited with VSC -- $35,230 (includes the destination charge and assumes that the Avalon will sell at MSRP) vs. $34,270 for the ES330 equipped as you specified.

I think it comes down to what you value more -- Avalon has got a more powerful engine and is larger. ES330 has got a better brand name and service. A comparative test drive will settle the rest. No matter what, I expect the theme "What's better, ES330 or Avalon Limited?" to be persistent in the discussions to come.
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    "What's better, ES330 or Avalon Limited"

When you think about it, it's the brand name you're buying. Say you want to buy a fully loaded, $65,000, Land Cruiser or a $30,000 IS. It is a 50/50 decision. But in the end, which would you want to say, "I drive a Toyota" or "I drive a Lexus"
    In 1993 when I owned a LS400 their "in house" literature (which my Lexus dealer let me read) said the typical LS400 owner was a CEO earning about $180,000 per year. I was a Navy physician earning significantly less, but working through a midlife crisis. After my first $400 routine service at 7500 miles, I realized most Lexus owners might be paying the same amount of money as I was, but percentage wise a lot less of their discretionary income than I was; I decided to sell the Lexus and spend the extra money on raising my general quality of life. Not sure what the Platinum 7 yr/100K 0 Deductible extended warranty for the Avalon will be (it was $900 for a $38K Sienna), but for the ES330 it is (per the Lexus web site) $1825. You're paying a lot extra for the Lexus "sizzle"; the steak (Toyota vs Lexus) is much the same. For myself, I chose saying "I drive a Toyota" while eating steak at a restaurant vs "I drive a Lexus" while eating meat loaf at home! :-)
    Well, in this case, the price between ES and Avalon Limited is about the same (ES is actually more MSRP if you equip it with the LV sound system, but actual price should be close), so you are not saving any $ for your meal. Of course, you are giving up the Horse Power, Rear Room for the ES(basically a luxury Camry) but gaining in the Lexus name and a little longer warranty. Styling wise, I like the ES better than anything Toyota/Lexus has to offer for interior. For exterior, they are both conservative. I love the Pearl Paint color, which Avalon offer and ES doesn't.

Next ES should be out this time next year, however pricing might be higher and start to pull away from Avalon with more luxury feature than today.
    Part of my point was that anything "Lexus" costs more than the same thing "Toyota". With specific reference to the ES330 $1000 more for the same extended warranty vs the probable Avalon price. Just like 25 years ago a Porsche turn signal flasher was $12, while the same part with a VW logo on it was $3. Same with service charges. Over the long run, the ES330 would cost you more to own than the Avalon.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    I would say I drive a Land Cruiser - people know the difference b/w a souped up Corolla and the best SUV on the market.
  • mrdlexusmrdlexus Member Posts: 23
    In my opinion I would purchase the fully loaded Avalon Limited for approx. $38k. When purchasing the ES330 you are getting a weaker engine, throttle and transmission issues, and a much higher cost of ownership. All of this for having "Lexus" on the front of the car. Did I mention that it costs $120 for an oil change at your local Lexus dealer, while at Toyota it costs about $28. Of course you may get a nice service area that has a cappucino machine and gourmet snacks, but you have already paid for this "treatment" with your overpriced service appointment. Last but not least I currently own a Lexus, and I am definitely waiting for the new Avalon, it is better than the ES330 and overall costs less with more options. If the new Avalon had a Lexus symbol on it you probably would be spending about $5-$7k more. Test drive both cars and see which one you like best, both cars appeal to the same potential consumer. Good Luck!! I will most likely purchase the Limited in early summer when hopefully some decent discounts will be given off MSRP.
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    Like you, I am interested in a Limited without laser or nav (just VSC). 2 questions:

- did you get the VSC?

- did they give you any idea about the cars that are going to be coming in, and how they are going to be optioned up? Meaning, anything about how most of the Limiteds are going to have EVERYTHING, and you were lucky to get one like that?

I have heard stories/ rumors that for the first several months it's impossible to get one close to fully loaded, without going all the way. That extra $3,000 for nav and laser doesn't sound worth it to me.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    What's up with Edmunds website? Of late, it either does not work at all, or is painfully slow. Anyone else experiencing this?
    What is the difference between a XLS with JBL and Limited then? HID and Rear Shade?
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Same here. What I have been doing is going in through "smart shopper" then putting in the model/make, it always works and right now is a lot faster, guess Edmunds is still working the bugs on their upgrade.
  • garybowgarybow Member Posts: 6
    The Avalon lost me with this redesign. Two things led me to my 2001 Avalon -- a large trunk and the bench seat. While waiting for the 2005 Avalon, I bought a 2004 Deville, which has all the gadgets which the new Avalon has. Guess I'll stick with it. A 14.4 trunk won't handle the golf clubs or friends wheel chair.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    agree. For about the past week it has been painfully slow and almost not worth trying to access items here. I assume that this has something to do with their new "Inside Line"; however, it would be nice if the board hostess would address this for us and give us some indication as to when they think they will have it corrected. Thanks! :)
    Also on Limited: "wood"/leather trimmed steering wheel, extendable driver's seat cushion, side mirrors with LED turn signal and pond lights, and sound-insulated windshield.
    1. Yes I got the VSC.

2. Yes, they have a blue Limited coming in with VSC (live in snow country South Dakota). The first two are Limiteds with option B (vsc). They only have two on the rooster. Never with options C (dynamic cruise, vsc), option D (vsc, nav) Option E(laser cruise,nav vsc). Out here nav is not useful, but the screens are nice for XM radio display. Simply, I think most will be option B.

I am very excited to get black with ivory. Anyone want a mint 18000 mile LOADED Denali 2003?

On another subject, as a physician in a modest size town (160000) I prefer not to drive a "lexus" etc, it fits the stereotype too much. But I love to be able to say I drive a GM or Toyota when patients make comments about my "BMW" etc. Depends on the image you want to project, and each of us has a certain preference.

Roster.