Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
  • clarkingtonclarkington Member Posts: 3
    What are the external colors available for the XLS and Limited Models? ( Having trouble getting the E brochure.) Also any idea when Edmunds will be listing the details in their new car section?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Actually, questions concerning the new Inside Line are being directed to this discussion:

Inside Line Feedback and Questions

Many of the issues pertaining to site speed are being addressed, but as with all upgrades and changes there are always bumps along the way. Please post your comments/questions concerning Inside Line in the above topic.

Thanks for your patience!
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    Hey Doc-

I don't mean to badger you, but you said you paid $36,692. Is that with tax, title, license, etc.? The "out the door cost"?

The ebrochure shows the MSRP for the Limited at $33,540, and option B at $1,090... $34,630. Did you add on some extra goodies to reach $36+, or just the necessary evils? :)

Thanks. Please let us know how you like it. I'm looking forward to checking one out at the auto show next month.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    I just read the small article that Edmunds has on the new 05 Avalon.

They recite the normal list of what's new, along with prices and what not.

But I was disappointed to read two statements the article made.

The first one was "It's no BMW 5 series, but...", and it goes on to say that the Touring is sporty.

It's no BMW 5 Series huh? Well, how do you know?I do not think that Edmunds has had an opportunity to drive the new Avalon. In fact, hardly anyone has had a chance to drive it, because it was announced to the world not much more than a week ago. And I didn't see them doing test drives at the Detroit Auto Show.

Why is it assumed that because it's a BMW, it is the end all be all of automobiles?

Let's look at a few numbers. The BMW 525i, has an V6 with 225 HP, the Avalon has a V6 with 280 HP. Did I mention that the BMW very easily reaches 50 grand by adding just about any option?

I would like to see a comparison. The Avalon VS the BMW 5 Series. I can hear the laughs now, but wait, why are you laughing? And before everyone goes nuts with the 'BMWs handle so well', I will say that I have read more than one review, stating that the BMW 5 Series did not exactly handle super great. But of course, it's still the best sedan on the planet. Um Hmmmm.

My last point was about Edmunds stating that the Avalon was now 'approaching' the level of luxury that Lexus offers. What exactly does the car need to offer, so that it has 'arrived' at the same level of luxury as a Lexus? Gold plated stereo knobs? How is the Avalon any less luxurious than even the top Lexus?

Oh well, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations!
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    Oh well, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations!

I am even more frustrated because I don't know which article you are talking about. Got a URL?
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I agree with the comment about BMW's Frankly there is no comparison. A BMW is an overpriced car with no reliability and below average looks. Great museum in Germany but my acquaintances are lavish in their praise of AVALON and critical of BMW's which are a high maintainance yuppy toy. Avalon on is a great car for the road. Reliable as all getout and reasonably priced. We like the bench seat high quality leather and 60000 miles with no trouble except new tires
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I was channel flipping last night and caught the last 3-4 minutes of some news show where they were interviewing some auto media live from the Detroit Auto Show. They were asking the typical questions like what car impressed you most as the NAIAS? One of the guys responded by saying the Avalon. He thought the base XL was the best $26,000 car on the market! With all of the glitter in Detroit, I was pretty excited that someone even noticed the Avalon. I think we had better get in line if we really want one.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Nice to see people passionate about a Toyota.

To add to your exasperation, the BMW 525i is actually powered by the 184 horse 2.5L engine, not the 225 hp 3.0L. I actually see a lot of 525i's, automatics no less. Can imagine that combo hits 60 in anything less than 9 flat.

~alpha
    Here is the link to the Edmund's 2005 Avalon article I spoke in my former post:

http://autoshow.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/103626/page029- .html?tid=edmunds.e.autoshow..leftnav.30.*
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I've added that link in the sidebar, plus a link to the Avalon prices paid topic. Those who are purchasing, please post your experiences there.

Thanks!
  • georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    I don't know if any of you have seen this, but it's a review of the new Avalon. Let me know if the link does not work.

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Toyota_Avalon&a- mp;ReviewID=1718
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Yes, this review was previously cited in message #1010 on this string, but thanks for keeping your eyes open!
  • seapirateseapirate Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody any idea what are the color's of the upholstery they will be offering.Thanks
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    According to the brochure I got the interiors are Ivory, light gray and graphite. No mention of which interiors are available with the 9 exterior colors.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Are now at your local dealer. Colors and interior fabrics and leathers are shown.

: )

Mackabee
  • dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    Hi,

Unfortunately I bought a 2005 Camry LE v6 and have notice the "throttle delay".
    dino01: Unfortunately I bought a 2005 Camry LE v6 and have notice the "throttle delay".

Right, it's the same infamous transmission (or the software that controls it).

Mackabee: Are now at your local dealer. Colors and interior fabrics and leathers are shown.

My dealer gave me a call today notifying me that they received the brochures. I told him that I am interested in buying, but didn't want to pay MSRP. He told me that it doesn't look like Avalon will be a hit like Prius (for which people lined up 12 months in advance to buy). It looks like I am the only guy in my town (of 200,000 people) making inquiries about Avalon. Lucky me -- maybe I'll get my Limited at the invoice. :-)
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    You are right. I stand corrected. Sticker is $35692 plus shipping and freight, and I got $1000 off for $34500. But, I went out and asked them, and I can not get a copy of the sticker yet, BUT it also has REMOTE START- I am pumped. That added $500. So $33500, plus, $1100, plus $500 plus SHIPPING AND FREIGHT $600 equals around $36200 and I am paying $34500.

Excited. My one salesman has 6 names on a list interested, none buying yet.

tasso
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    Well, I'm glad to hear that. In a couple months I may well be doing the very same thing as you (Limited, VSC and remote start as the only options). By then it may be even a little below MSRP... if this car shakes out the way it should, $35k will be a steal.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    Remote start can be had for any car at Best Buy for $129. Works great!!!!
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Can you get a Limited with the graphite interior (which I assume is the dark gray shown in the Touring interior pictures)

Does the graphite only come with a chrome trim or with darker wood ?

thanks in advance !
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I'm a little confused. $34500 (not 33500) plus $1100 discount plus $500 remote start plus shipping is $545 = $36645. Does your $34500 include shipping? Then your discount is $1645. Would like to do as well.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Kind of interesting- The 2005 limited on ebay has only one bid with 16 hours to go. Guess this says something about demand, will be interesting what happens in final hours.
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    the toyota.com eBrochure is updated.
    Forgive me, because I am confused, I have not seen a sticker or computer screen invoice on the unit I bought, IMPULSE BUY - ouch. All and all my purchase price is $34500. When I know more, I will post, sorry. They never told me it had factory remote start when I bought it. PLUS, I think my paper work forgot to include the shipping, as they had no sticker etc at the time. We will see how it pans out.

However, I bought a new 2005 Sienna just 4 months ago from this dealer. And I have bought 3 other GM cars from the same family of dealers in the last 3 years. So that helps.

I think the demand will be good. Ebay and cars is hard to gauge. These are not a limited early run such as G-wagons were, or even PT cruisers initially. These are planned to be massed produce. And anyone can buy one locally in 2-3 weeks. My dealer has 2 coming right up front. But in 3 months they will have 10, so it would not make sense to buy one off ebay, as your local dealer will have 2-3 in a couple weeks.
    The situation with the 2005 Toyota Avalon Brochure is even worse: not a single bid in 3 days, and the asking price is $1. Of course you can get it for free, but I would expect a few 65 year old guys who are excited about the Avalon to chip in a buck instead of taking a trip to the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7948370617&category=34233

If I were in charge of Toyota Marketing, I would hire a few guys to bid it up to $300 or so. :-)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Seriously folks, I think commentary on demand is a bit premature. The car has just debuted at ONE auto show, there are no vehicles at dealerships for test drives, it is NOT a niche vehicle like the Prius, the old version is still available at likely high discounts, and finally, there has been no promotion of the car yet, whatsoever.

Let's talk about demand after 6 months...

~alpha
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Looking at the updated e-brochure, they have dropped all option prices, at least on the limited, by $400 to over $1000 from that shown on what I printed out last week...
    Hey, good catch. Yeah, the stability control is now $440 less expensive (down to $650) and the Nav is $640 less expensive (down to $1900), thereby making options "D" and "E" each cost $1080 less. Curiously enough, that affected the Limited only. The fully loaded Limited is now at $33540 (Base) + $3150 (Option E) + $515? (Destination ) = $37205. Still a bit pricey, if you ask me, considering that you can get a fully loaded ES330 with Nav for about $35,500. I know, I know, the Avalon has 280hp and stuff. But still it's not the "bridge" between the Camry and Lexus anymore. I guess I could step down to XLS, but I will really miss the HID lights & wood wheel and shift (apparently only avalable on the Limited).

Anyway, the price drop indicates that maybe Toyota is watching that pathetic Ebay auction and making some conclusions, as we are. :-) Or perhaps they are reading this board, in which case you the XL & Touring guys should generate some more noise about the fact that there is no VSC (standard or optional) on those trims. :-)

Now that raises a question. Does someone like me who signed the current paper work to buy, but not paid anything yet, have the ability to take advantage of the new pricing or not? I usually buy off the lot, and this is the first time I have purchased a car sight unseen. Thanks for any input.
  • prince812prince812 Member Posts: 35
    If I read the brochure correctly and the other websites, graphite leather is unique to the Touring edition only as is the rear spoiler.

If anyone has any info I would love to be corrected as I would prefer the graphite leather in the Limited I am planning to purchase...
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    For what its worth I concur. Maybe after TV advertising and appearance on the highways there "may" be a marked increase in sales but that is not within the immediate.
    According to the glossy brochure sent to me by my dealer the Graphite Leather is available on the Limited.

Charcoal Leather is on the Touring.
    Thank you for the correction. I got mixed up as to which was the darker leather. I would love to have the charcoal (darker) leather on the Limited.

As far as I know the Charcoal is not available on the Limited. Is that correct? Can the charcoal be special ordered on the Limited or not offered at all?
    Charcoal, looks almost black, is only available on the Touring. I doubt there will be any special orders for the Avalon based on past experience.
    I like the new Avalon so much, I made a screensaver!

2005 Toyota Avalon Screensaver:

http://www.filepc.com/forward/screensavers.htm?1,fd1000avalon

The screensaver will automatically connect to the internet and update with new Toyota Avalon pictures.
    Does anyone know if the Limited offers the 5 speed manual transmission for manual gear changes? I saw it offered on the Touring Edition.

Also does the Limited or any of the Avalon offer any kind of hands free connect for cell phones at all? Is there a way to add it after market?

Lastly I read on one of the comments that remote start can be purchased at Best Buy for $129 which is much cheaper than the $500 Toyota charges. But is the factory unit linked to the smart key system? In other words if we add it after market do we have to carry a separate remote for it?

Any help will be appreciated.
    According to the ebrochure, bluetooth won't be available on the 05 Avalon (it is available on the Prius).
    No manual tranny is offered on the Avalon.
  • buzz123buzz123 Member Posts: 35
    Been debating for a while between Camry and Avalon. I'm probably younger than the average Avalon buyer, 38, but I have a bad back so comfort is very important to me. I like the idea of having extra room in the Avalon, bigger seats, etc which I'm assuming means it will be more comfortable. Of course, I know the only way to be sure will be through a test drive. However, I also live in snow country so VSC/BA is an option I'd very much like to have. I think the XL is great and has almost everything I need. The only thing missing is VSC/BA. I'm willing to make a jump from the Camry to the Avalon XL with VSC/BA, if such a thing existed. However jumping to the XLS just to get VSC/BA seems like too much of a jump for me. Since it's a safety feature, to not even offer it as an option, makes no sense to me. As alpha said awhile back, "I just don't understand how it makes sense for it to be unavailable, when it can be found on $18,000 Corolla LEs." If I had to buy today, I'd probably go with the Camry LE with VSC/BA. Fortunately, I won't be buying until the summer. Hopefully, Toyota adds VSC/BA as an option to the XL by then. If not, it looks like it's a Camry for me.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    I received my Avalon brochure today, sorry Toyota but you're just not offering the right package here. I need to have dark leather and you only offer it in the Touring, but the Touring is missing some key options:

No seat memory

No seat heater

No VSC

No traction control

No keyless entry

Etc...

What we really need is the ability to pick and choose here. I'd rather have a Limited with black leather and a sport suspension option.

I'm holding out for the 2006 Lexus ES 350, and perhaps you'll still get my money.
  • ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    The dimensions don't appear to have been changed. I was hoping the cargo room and rear seat headroom were misprints. Still appears to be less than the 04 Avalon on these two specs, as well as the even smaller Camry.
  • calriskcalrisk Member Posts: 10
    I own a 1997 Avalon XLS (which I have been very pleased with) and am in the market for a replacement. Have been waiting for the 2005 Avalon to appear so as to be able to compare it to some of the many other options now out there. With the recently released specs and prices, one can now get a glimpse at what the competitive comparison is going to look like. Unless there is something I am really missing, it looks like the 2005 Acura TL (my first choice so far) is going to be hard to beat. In order to get close to the same equipment that is standard on the TL, one must go with the "Limited" Avalon version and then add the "Vehicle stability control (VSC) and Traction control" option at $650 and the XM radio at $449. This brings the Avalon MSRP up to $34639 versus the Acura TL at $32900 (both before destination charge). One can usually get the Acura a thousand or so under MSRP, and I doubt the Avalon will be discounted much upon first release. Even with this, the Avalon will be missing the "Bluetooth" wireless telephone interface (not offered). The Avalon will have Smart Key, which is not offered on the Acura. Otherwise, the vehicles are pretty comparable at that level (both with no navigation unit), even size-wise, with an edge to the Avalon.

This is assuming, of course, that I can actually even get a "Limited" Avalon with VSC and without the Nav system. The dealer I am working with says all the early "Limited" production will have Nav. I also am trying to find out whether the XM radio option is going to be fully integrated or an "add on".

Anyway, the Avalon is obviously no longer the "bargain" it once was. Not because it is worse in any way, but because the competition has gotten better. For the life of me, I do not understand why Stability Control is not standard in the top-of-the line trim.

Maybe I'll have my socks knocked off when I finally get to see/drive one of these. Enough to wait until an appropriate build comes along. Maybe.

Any thoughts?
  • coug2coug2 Member Posts: 34
    I drove a TL last year and there was a lot to like about it - its a neat, well-put-together car. However, it seemed substantially smaller than an avalon. In addition, it seemed much more like a sports sedan than a luxury car.

I'm looking for a very quiet and very comfortable ride. In fact, while I'm no doubt younger (43) than the ave Avalon buyer, I don't understand why people are so concerned with the car's (or any car's) handling ability. 99.9% of the time you are either in town, on a straight highway (i.e., most roads are straight), or bound by traffic (e.g., if the car ahead of you is going 40mph on a twisty road, you can't do much about it). Why sacrifice ride quality (i.e., sports-tuned suspension) for the 1% of the time that you may be on a twisty road without traffic? Related, I really don't understand why people are interested in the touring model (except, perhaps, it provides the leather color they want). Just my $0.02.

Oh..and one last thing - I do agree that toyo should offer VSC option on every avalon. Quite frustrating that they do not appear to be willing to do that....
    "Oh..and one last thing - I do agree that toyo should offer VSC option on every avalon. Quite frustrating that they do not appear to be willing to do that...."

Toyota will offer VSC on the XL and Touring...in a year or two when enough people complain. It would suck if we bought a 05 Avalon Touring and then Toyota makes VSC optional on the 06 Avalon Touring.

It looks like Toyota wants to "force" us into going all the way with the XLS/Limited.
  • coug2coug2 Member Posts: 34
    I agree - it likely arises from toyo marketing...early buyers are to some extent, pre-sold, and not really considering alternatives. Thus, they are likely to pay a premium through buying a limited/xls when they would be happy with a touring/xl with the right options (VSC primarily).

It's a risk, however, as there are a lot of alternatives.
    I was looking a a TL 2005, great little sports car, and I love the bluetooth option. But it is a sports car, with way to excessive torgue steer, and well known for rattle problems. All that set aside, I think the Avalon will be a semi-luxury car. It will be interesting to see how the Toyota FWD handles all those ponies.

The TL does not have smart key, puddle lights, integrated turn signals, both mirror electrochromatic, extendable seat cushion, nor reclining rears seats, and has the hump in the back. I can not remember if it had rain sense wipers etc. Do not get me wrong, I liked it, but there are a lot of little differences still. Positive and negative for both cars.

VSC is a great option, and should be offered at ever trim level.

The XM is an add on, and I do not think it integrates that great.

I will know more in a couple of weeks, and my Avalon does not have nav, but it is a Limited.

The
  • calriskcalrisk Member Posts: 10
    but there are a lot of little differences still. Positive and negative for both cars.

Yes, agreed.

I am hoping that I like the 2005 Avalon enough that I will consider paying its (now) premium price.

So, you definitely know that there will be at least one non-Nav Limited made initially?
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    " my Lexus dealer let me read) said the typical LS400 owner was a CEO earning about $180,000 per year."

I bought a used LS400. It still has only 57k on it and my license plates are about $33 per year. I can own a like new $50k luxury car for peanuts as I drive my car very little and after recently selling three cars, we still have four left. I was going to upgrade, but it made no sense to let a new one sit and depreciate, so I bought my wife a new Avalon which both of us usually drive. Even though it is much newer with half the miles, an LS400 it ain't. Much lighter feel among other things. It really does have lots going for it though.