Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    There's lots of info on "how" ABS systems work too:
    Here's a quick clip from the Popular Mechanics website:

"ABS at Work
    There are many different variations and control algorithms for ABS systems. We will discuss how one of the simpler systems works.
    The controller monitors the speed sensors at all times. It is looking for decelerations in the wheel that are out of the ordinary. Right before a wheel locks up, it will experience a rapid deceleration. If left unchecked, the wheel would stop much more quickly than any car could. It might take a car five seconds to stop from 60 mph (96.6 kph) under ideal conditions, but a wheel that locks up could stop spinning in less than a second.

The ABS controller knows that such a rapid deceleration is impossible, so it reduces the pressure to that brake until it sees an acceleration, then it increases the pressure until it sees the deceleration again. It can do this very quickly, before the tire can actually significantly change speed. The result is that the tire slows down at the same rate as the car, with the brakes keeping the tires very near the point at which they will start to lock up. This gives the system maximum braking power.

When the ABS system is in operation you will feel a pulsing in the brake pedal; this comes from the rapid opening and closing of the valves. Some ABS systems can cycle up to 15 times per second. "

I'll leave it at this point to you to do the rest of the research on your own. I think we've beat this subject to death, and there are other things to discuss besides ABS systems.
    One more thing. When I was much younger and fresh out of College, I got a job as a Cop on the local Police Force.(Lasted about 4 years then got a real job!)
    One of the best experiences I ever had was high speed driving training which included skid control on a skid pan equipped test track. It is my firm belief that all drivers should undergo that kind of training--maybe not as hard core as the one we did though. It is something I'll never forget, and that training has helped me get out of a few pickles over the years.
  • notasnowcarnotasnowcar Member Posts: 4
    Well, that was my whole thing. What if? I'm not a Lawsuit type person. My questions are: How many people who own an '05 experienced this?
    If there are allot, will Toyo Recall/Retrofit?
    Will they Buy the Car back?
    Other than that its a great car. Big, Comfy, Stylish.
  • lbs1lbs1 Member Posts: 16
    Need info about the reverse warning system or back up sensors. I'm finding the Avalon a biiig car and need some beeps on the rear fender. I'm not prepared to install this myself. So, what brands have people purchased? did you buy on line and find someone to install it? how many sensors do you need? (2 or 4)was there any damage to your bumper with installation? did you install a screen? and do you like the system? Thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what your complaint is. You said the "pedal" stopped when you were sliding thru an intersection in a blizzard and a truck almost broadsided you; then you talk about getting stuck in a parking spot; then you had trouble getting into your driveway; now you're looking for a Product Liability Lawyer to do what?
    More info needed!
    According to the news, your New England area just had a record Winter storm for this time of year. Under those conditions, one could expect some difficulties. How do you think the automaker is responsible for all the problems you had?
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    Hi nov8or,

Thank you so much for your installation instructions. I followed them nearly to the letter. The only exception was that I mounted beeper on the EXTERIOR of the of the lower center trim panel. It is at floor level and held on by two small screws. The wires are hidden and it cannot be kicked by any pass angers. My hearing is terrible, but that did the trick. Your instructions were outstanding and you really provided a service to the forum. :)
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    I would tell you if that this kind of issue will and does exist in most new cars today - or at least as soon as you buy things like traction control, VSC, etc.. So Toyota isn't doing anything that the market isn't 'demanding'. It would be much more difficult to sell a high end car like the Avalon without the availability of these systems. No, they don't recall anything or even retrofit an off switch because they are only doing what the market demands and what every other mfgr. is doing to some degree. Whether it's good or not almost not the point - 'computer' controlled cars are something we are going to have to live with. Would expect that our erstwhile government will mandate these systems before they really understand how potentially dangerous they can be!
  • jameslazjameslaz Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I just got a 2006 Avalon Limited with Navi and I have a couple of questions. First off I also have a 2004 Honda Acord EX with Navi and so far form what I can see the navi in teh Acord is much better. The touch screen makes it so easy to input and the screen just seems more detailed. Question 1, Is there any way to not have to push the OK button to get the navi up and running. I wish you did not have to open the control panel to say OK. I would like to be able to just say OK or have a button out in the open to push. 2. IS there any way to program an address while driving. I know they disable it for safety but what about my passenger doing it? I do not get that. The Honda allows it. I mean once you say ok to get the navi up and running that should be enough to let them off the hook. 3.Any way to get the audio to display test while driving? It say for safetly it will not display test but you have to read that and if that is the case then you should not look at anything. I love my new Avalon, it is about the best car I have ever owned so I don't mean to complain. I just hope there are some answers for these little problems I have. One last thing. Is there a full list of the voice commands the car will accept? I can only find the commands for the navi so far but I kow it does much more.

Thank you,
    James
  • notasnowcarnotasnowcar Member Posts: 4
    First of all, I didnt bring up the Lawyer. I wasnt sliding thru an intersection. Picture this: 4 way intersection. I'm at a stop sign. the other road has the right of way. I now need to get the car moving from a stop. The tires spin intermittenly. the car moves slowly forward. Now that I'm in the middle, the Car decides that it has spun the tires enough and its time to stop. Hopefully this translates better, despite the Boston accent.
    Thankyou for the weather report-but i was here.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I have a question concerning start up and shut down on my 2006 limited. When I push the start button, I hear a buzzing/slight grinding noise coming from under the left side of dash panel (relay box area?). Upon shut down, I press the button to stop engine, then when I open driver's door to exit, I hear same noise. The start and stop function works fine, it is the noise I am questioning. I started to wonder when a client of mine with a smart key equipped Lexus says all he hears is starter, no buzzing noise.
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    Hi lbs1

To answer your questions. I used the Awell Parking Assist System. Their web site is: http://www.awellmarket.com and I bought it online for $ 110 including shipping. My system has four sensors, and yes, you have to drill four holes in the rear bumper.

I installed it myself primarily using another forum members input. See post #10362. It contains a link that will give you detailed installation information.
    I suspect that it will be pretty expensive to have someone else install it. Awell has a list of vendors that will do the work. The sensors come in various colors. Their silver was a perfect match for my Titanium Metallic. I prefer four sensors over two, but I have no information to make a meaningful comparison. I did not install a screen. That could be a distraction. The warning beeper does the job but you still need to use your rear vision (although it is poor on the new Avalon) and not just depend on the beeper.

I suggest that you do a search on the forum. Try "parking sensors." There is lots of information avaliable and some photos. So far I love the system, but it hasn't been installed very long.

Regards

billyg
    the purpose of this post is actually a serious question - can any manufacturer be held liable for what some of these safety systems can do (or, for that matter, not do) outside of what could be proven as negligent. Thought there might be some lawyer out there that could answer the question. The Avalon is not even close to being the only notasnowcar (at least with specific options). We all now have to stare at ugly warning labels on our visors and an irritating orange airbag light all resulting from one the last too much too soon applications of technology - the airbag. Statistics are wonderful things, manipulated as they generally are - but to this day, I'm not sure that even airbags (Avs have plenty of them) have helped more than they hurt? That also being a question.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Due to recent incidents of cars being stolen while warming up in the very cold winter, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to start the car (Smart Key) and lock the doors while the car idles and warms up. The remote seems to be pretty much totally disabled when the car is running (at least lock, unlock, and trunk open don't work).
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    In the lower right hand side of this site where it indicates "search this discussion", type in some search parameters regarding "navigation". You will get a large number of hits pertaining to it, including the OK banner along with just about everything else everyone has discussed concerning navigation on the new Avalon.

I do not have the nagivation on my Avalon, so can't address your issue. But many, many others have posted alot of info on the subject. Search it for yourself, read them all, and you will be an extremely informed owner!
    zekeman1
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Look, there are multiple reasons manufacturers continue to build patently unsafe FWD and front biased AWD vehicles. The two main reasons are, one, for the manufacturer's side less complexity in the drive train, and two, on the consumer side, no rear driveline hump.

If you want to drive safely, be safe, then look first at any RWD car, or for a dramatically better safety factor try one of the new Lexus AWD vehicles, the IS or GS, that uses front wheel drive torque unless the use of the front wheel's contact patch can be best dedicated to directional control wherein it quickly removes engine drive torque, leading or lagging, from the front.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    I'm getting mine installed for $100.
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    It would be truly nice if we lived in a society were people were always honest. But that is just not the case. Some people are just out there to cause trouble. If there are people in here just making up stories then all that does is make this forum completely useless because then people are basing their opinions on their false truth. Please be honest if you are going to be post here and then we can be intelligent informed consumers. Thanks
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I'm pretty sure they would have though of theft prevention when they designed it.
    Most likely, you can't put it in gear and drive off if it's started with only the remote starter.
    I was simply trying to understand the problem. Sarcasm in your post tells me you have for some reason wrongly prejudged my interest, therefor it's probably best for me to back away from your dilemma and let you find someone more to your liking to discuss it with. Consider it done.

Nonetheless, my earlier advice is well worthy of consideration. No Anti Skid, Traction Control, or ABS system in the world can work miracles. Those who naively think they do are asking for trouble.
    A snow storm--in this case a bad one with heavy wet snow (the worst for traction)--is terribly dangerous, and one of the most difficult driving conditions drivers can experience.
    Accellerating quickly from a stop in conditions like that is an impossible expectation, especially when another vehicle is coming from the side and one is trying to get out of the way.
    I can guarantee that had Trac Control been disabled, this driver would have been worse off. The car probably wouldn't have moved at all! One wheel would have been spinning impressively though!
    Not quite sure if I understand what you're saying. Do you have the Smartkey system with remote start? I have the option and have had an aftermarket remote start. I preferred the aftermarket starter over the Toyota remote. Here's why: with the Toyota remote, you start the car with the key fob & the doors stay locked while it's warming. When you go to get into it, you open the car with the unlock option and when you do, it kills the engine :( You then have to get into the car and restart it normally. Additionally, when the car is started with the remote and it's running, the emergency flashers are operating ???

With the aftermarket remote I installed on my Tundra, you start the vehicle the same way, you can unlock the vehicle with the remote and the engine continues to run. You have to insert the key into the ignition BEFORE you begin to drive - if you don't, the engine dies - obviously an anti-theft feature. AND, the emergency flashers don't operate.

Hope I clarified for you.
    zekeman1
    'patently unsafe FWD' - a little strong don't you think? Most experts would agree that understeer is a patently (to use your word) safer condition for 99% of the drivers out there - that being one thing any FWD car will always be good at. And then you can point to traction improvements with weight distributed disportionately over the drive wheels.
    Yes, the only change I would like to see the Avalon would be to turn the engine 90d and add a driveshaft for what I would consider superior vehicle dynamics - but, as you state it, you would have all FWD vehicles deemed unsafe?
    Sorry, sad to say, but there are times, definitely, wherein it is advantagous to turn off or disable the Trac system.

My example was/is accelerating out of a residential street into traffic on a main thoroughfare and having the rear wheels on my 1992 LS400 slip/spin just briefly on wet "plastic" crosswalk paint/striping. The rear brakes go "thump, thump," to alleviate the wheelspin which is now already history but now my engine is fully dethrottled and I must wait seemingly EONS out in oncoming traffic before Trac gives me throttle control again.

I can understand the logic of providing a Trac disable capability on RWD vehicles but not FWD but I don't agree with it. Wheelspin/slipping on a RWD vehicle will be a lot more benign and recoverable, generally, than the same incident on a FWD vehicle.

There are times in adverse weather conditions when some wheelspin is desireable, say for rocking the car back and forth to get out of a "hole".

And by the way, my 2001 AWD RX300, summer tires always, "eats" wet or fresh snowfall for breakfast. It's the packed snow or ice or thawed and refrozen snow that requires me to use the chains.

Not by any means saying that the wet or freshly fallen stuff can't be hazardous if you overdrive your stopping or stearing capability.
    FWD vehicles are absolutely the optimal solution all around. Right up to the point wherein you wish more of that front contact patch were dedicated to lateral control and not engine drive torque, leading or lagging.

For most modern day FWD vehicles the only sure way to accomplish that is to quickly shift into neutral when the need arises. The AAA is currently recommending exactly that.

Yes, FWD with a Trac system that INSTANTLY brakes a slipping driven wheel or wheels and just as instantly dethrottles the engine so the front contact patch can be dedicated to maintaining directional control (assuming the resulting engine compression braking isn't too great for the level of traction) makes FWD the absolute BEST solution for 99% of today's drivers.

You may notice that many modern day FWD vehicles' transaxles are automatically upshifting, some radically so, on closed throttle operations, "coastdown", to alleviate the potential for loss of directional control due to engine compression braking.
    so we have now beaten to death what Trac can and cannot do and heard from any owner that finds it difficult to even drive his Av on snowy roads. I can relate a dry road incident (high speed violent swerve under acceleration) that allowed me to avoid an accident that I really think I could NOT have done if I had VSC.
    These systems are options on Avalons, money well spent??
    For those with continued skepticism (or criticism) re my caveats about Trac Systems in snow conditions...........
    Here's a clip from an excellent website entitled "How Stuff Works":

"Traction Control in the Snow

Many people mistakenly believe that traction control will prevent their vehicle from getting stuck in the snow. This couldn't be further from the truth. Traction control does not have the ability to increase traction; it just attempts to prevent a vehicle's wheels from spinning. For drivers who routinely drive in snowy and icy conditions, traction control, antilock brakes, and snow tires are must-have safety features."

So, I say again: "Do not expect miracles in snow conditions from any Traction Control System."
    (Ergo--Do not condemn your Avalon Trac system if miracles don't happen when expected!)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's move on from the traction control issues. I think we've fully explored the ins and outs of that system and problems with it are really more suited for the Maintenance & Repair board rather than taking over this discussion.
    Howinheaven do I always get stuck in these predicaments?? ;)
    Sorry if we got carried away on that topic Pat. Intent was to be helpful, because there really is a huge misunderstanding by a great many people re what those devices can and cannot do.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's fine. It's just time to move on, so let's grab some eggnog and do so. ;)
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    Hard to believe this is an Avalon. I love it.

">link titlehttp://www.toyota.com/html/movingforward/2005/november/images/large/photo4.jpg
    Is this far enough away, Pat?. Are Avalons hot, or what. A police pursuit Avalon - Get outta here. Discuss this.

http://www.toyota.com/html/moving forward/2005/november/images/large/photo6.jpg
    This is the pursuit Avalon. Better have twin turbos though.

link title
    I have a Limited with, of course, "Smart Key" ignition. I do NOT have remote start. So, when I get in the car to start it and let it warm up, I must remain in the car because, once I exit the car, I can find no way to lock the doors while the car is still running. Is there a way to lock the doors with the car running while I stay warm in the house?
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    yup dude i saw thoes pics month ago damn the blue one is HOT !

wonder when TOYOTA is gonna make body kits for our cars :(
    i already designed few lips with photoshop ! youl be stunned when u see them :D

ali
    Not that I'm aware of. Have you checked to see if the car can have the Toyota remote start installed after-the-fact? Believe there's already been a discussion whether you can install an aftermarket unit in an Avalon with the Smart Key ignition...think the answer was no. Have you checked with your dealer?
    zekeman1
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    I need to mount a front license plate. I see the indentations for the screws. But is the some type of bracket that holds/supports a front license plate?
    Toyota sells a real nice black, plastic front license plate bracket that hooks into the grill on the bottom and screws into the two indentations on the top. It should sell for $7-$15.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really didn't want to purchase the remote start as I didn't think I'd use it enough to warrant the price of it.
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    Yeah lock it with your remote.
    No can do. The remote is disabled while the engine is running. Likewise, the lock switch in the car will not lock the doors when you exit and leave the engine running.
  • sgchilisgchili Member Posts: 11
    I've had my 06 Touring for going on a month. I've sat back and read all of the articles about transmission hops and "searching for the right gear", etc.

At first, I was skeptical. I noticed the hops a bit, but it didn't bother me.

Today, I decided to use the manual shift. I kept it in fourth for most of the ride, and used third and fifth once in a while. I could not believe how much smoother and relaxed the ride was. I think I've found a new way to drive the Avalon, and now in retrospect maybe the tranny is a real detriment to what's otherwise an outstanding drive.

Has anyone else experimented with this method of avoiding the gear issue?
    hi guys i would like to show u my future plans on my avalon and hope they make similer aftermarket front end for us :(
    anyway tell me what do u think guy :)

Before :

After
  • altoalto Member Posts: 7
    where can u buy one?
    The original looks much better.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    [bahraini_zupraThe original is much nicer. Sorry, I don't like the change you posted here. But different strokes for different folks, do what you think is best.
  • skrumphskrumph Member Posts: 5
    You did a nice piece of work but I like the original. That may look better on one of the darker color Avalons.
  • rufus5rufus5 Member Posts: 11
    Leave the car alone. Don't mess up its good looks.
    arghh u guys tear me apart i think it looks gorgeuos ! amm anybody with photoshoped front end would be great ?!
    cuz i really dont like the low front end !

thanks
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    I have a Roady2 XM and am seriously considering XM kit for my XM ready radio. I assume the channel #, artist, etc., will be posted in blue and white in the radio section of the driver info. When you run out of range of one FM station, does the XM automatically find another station or do you have to search for it and are you limited to a certain number of FM stations? When finding a new FM station with the Roady, the display is so dim that it is easy to run off the road while adjusting. Is there anyplace I can find that will describe how the factory XM works? Or, maybe someone can give me a quick overview. Thanks.
  • rufus5rufus5 Member Posts: 11
    Oh well, several told you of our opinions. It's your car & your money. Do what you like. :)
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I have been using manual gearshift since the car was new , back in June. There is some minor uneven shifting, but mostly okey.I did forget several times and found myself doing 60 mph in 4th gear. This is the only drawback I have noticed.

I am having problems with the navigation system over the last month or so. It seem that the voice directions are wrong at least 1-2 times every time I use it. One trip it gave wrong direction all of the time, lately it tells left or right turn and then a few seconds later it states left or right turn a mile or so ahead. Had I followed the navigation system I would have been totally lost.A couple of times it wanted to take me in a circle. The dealer wants more bad news before doing anything. ange1