Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Thanks for the input. I had my car back at the dealership yesterday for the third time and received a call from them in the afternoon informing me that although they can hear the rattle, they can not isolate it and, therefor, are unable to fix it. They have documented their findings and the work they've done to date (taped rear shade, moonroof, glove box) and they have acknowledged the rattle still exists and they are unable to fix it.

I will call Toyota today to schedule an appointment with their regional rep. Unfortunately, I'm loosing complete confidence that this issue will get resolved.
  • njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    I posted about this exact issue in October 2005 see post #9608. Still not resolved, bringing it back to the dealer this week to check out while I get my 10,000 mile service.
    LJS
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Don't know if this helps or not, but my 2002 Avalon developed what sounded like a dash rattle which seemed to move across the base of the windshield. It took me many frustrating months to locate. I eventally tracked it down to 2 things:

1) The plastic panel between the hood and windshield below the wipers was moving up and down causing a rattle. I remove the panel and insulated the entire underside circumference with self-adhesive rubber weatherstripping so the panel was firm when in place, and the hard plastic didn't come into contact with the metal below it.
    2) The wiper motor bracket under the panel was also loose. I tightened it while I had the panel off.

This fixed the "dash rattle". The plastic panel on the new Avalons appear to move around too and could be a possible source of a rattle.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    great info :)
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    just had the occasion to take my early '05 to the dealer for a relatively minor (but bothersome) oil leak. Must be happening often enough that the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #EG065-05 was issued 12-23-05 - it reads as follows:
    Some 2005 model year Avalon vehicles may experience a small/slow oil drip from the bank 1 VVTi oil supply line on the front of the engine. The oil pipe has been improved to prevent this condition.
    Bank 1 is the firewall side of the engine, and the tubes they are talking about move oil to/from the cylinder heads.The fix involves a timing gear cover, some gaskets, and the oil pipe subassembly.
    The TSB also notes this problem is covered by the 60k mile powertrain warranty.
    If you have an early Av you might want to check with Calif. and find out if your will need the repair.
    As noted above had to take my Touring in for an oil leak - the dealer was nice enough (suppose he didn't have to) to provide me an '06 Av XL for the day.
    What a difference in the way the cars handle and steer. The XL almost overboosted steering with negligible road feel, but a bit better on absorbing the bumps and Botts dots at the expense of some more body lean etc. Didn't remember the Ltd. I test drove (along with the Touring I bought) being anyway near this soft and I thought the XL felt a little down on power.
    In any case, happier now with my decision to go with the Touring trim - wouldn't buy the XL I just drove - simply too soft and non-communicative
  • jameslazjameslaz Member Posts: 5
    Is anyone aware of a full list of the avalible voice commands for the 06 Avalon? My 2004 Accord has about 700 and you can call out a radio station or a temp for the heater but I can't seem to do this on the Avalon. Seems like the voice activation is not as up to date as it should be.

Thank you,
    James
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Your question is answered in the owner's manual.
  • disco340disco340 Member Posts: 17
    This should help to disable the "I agree" and it looks as if a hardeware workaround is in the the works by a company named Coastal E Tech, or something like that.

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/console_removal.pdf

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/nav_controller_mod.pdf
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    This should help to disable the "I agree"

I wonder if anyone in this forum has been bold enough to try this mod, except for the author (n0v8or) himself. A most impressive piece of work, but I certainly don't have the balls to try this.

Anyone else?

Max
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    With all the work involved in literally tearing apart the interior of the car, I really can't believe that the final result--not having to press a button after starting the car, is really worth it.
    I could almost see going through this IF it also allowed you (or a passenger) to use the POI/destination features while the car is moving.
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    I know exactly what you mean. I have a 05 Black Limited with tinted windows and side molding. This baby is sweet :shades:. I get comments on it ALL the time. My husband drove it out of state and can't stop talking about how good it looks and how well it handles on the road at high speeds. I love everything about this car!!!! :P. Happy Avy driving to all.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Probably more truth here than Toyota would like to admit. But Hyundai is so far behind it might take a decade or more to ever approach Toyota in the US marketplace overall. The Azera is a good start at luxury sedans but the Avalon will probably outsell it 10 to 1 this model year. And we all know Toyota loves to improve each model change so the standard bar will continue to rise for everybody. Interesting comments, certainly...
    And not only the Azera competing with the Avalon, but also the new Sonata vs. the Camry - a competent car (esp. with that much improved V6. Drove one a few weeks back for a few days, and except for what I thought to be a cheap looking interior - very impressive. Think, however, that what will continue to hurt Hyundai in the US is that 'Korean Car' perception and its effects on resale values. That said, for buyers that look to keep cars for longer than normal and in view of the Hyundai warranties - all of Hyundai's offerings are certainly viable (and competitive) alternatives. Makes you wonder why the US manufacturers continue to miss the boat?
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    There is a way to make the NAV system in my Solara allow input while the car is in motion. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this with the Avalon? The Solara method involves inputting several commands on the touchscreen, including touching unlabelled sections of the screen.
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    Makes me glad I don't have the NAV system. If I did, after looking at all this breakdown, the I agree page wouldn't seem so bad. :sick:
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    Think, however, that what will continue to hurt Hyundai in the US is that 'Korean Car' perception and its effects on resale values

I priced similarly equipped Camry, Hyundai, Altima and Accord. Hyundai took their pants off . Not only much less expensive similarly equipped, but the 100,000 warranty is a heck of a deal.

For those who don't think Korean cars measure up to their social image, please remember people felt the same about Japanese cars not that long ago.

Also, as a general rule, most buyers of Japanese cars are "value" buyers - wanting the most bang for the buck -
    i.e. many are budget minded- to put it politely.

You only have to look at the comments on this forum to see that perceived "value" is a large part of the incentive to buy Toyota.

So if Hyundai out-values Toyota, many, many of you will go there.

I bought the Hyundai for a family member. I can assure you that it has 16K trouble free miles - which is a lot better than many Avys have done.

Hyundai has also followed Toyota into the generic styling race which seems to appeal to a lot of people.

It appears that we are fast approaching the age where the best maker of cheap but acceptably styled cars with a few toys will be at the top of the - pardon the pun - heaps.
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    I have a 05 Ltd w/VSC. Would like to carry tire cable chains just in case while driving in winter conditions through Cascade mountains. Page 360 of 2005 owners manual describes chain selection and installation. Anyone out there use cable/tire chains on front tires?
    Also, noticed when parking Ltd for 2-3 weeks (this happened to me twice), electronic key will not allow car doors to be unlocked and opened, needed to use mechanical key both times. Could be a problem when parking car @ airport, locking personal items in trunk or glove box and removing mechanical key for security; parking attendant will not be able to start car. Any comments appreiciated...

NWBLIZZARD
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Hyundai has a nice lease deal now, so you can get one for 27 months and not worry about any resale value perception problems.
    Just heard back from my Dealers Service Manager.
    He informed me that the little bit of Armour All I applied to clean the dash is the cause of the rattle.
    Not the case, I applied it after I first heard it rattling, I figured since it sounded horrible it may as well look clean. Also it's been doing it since that last cold day we had in May 2005 (East Coast), it subsided in the warmer months and is now back with a vengance to drive me nuts.
    Anyway the dealer said they won't attempt any "fixes" until the dash has been cleaned...
    Just Perfect (Note Sarcasm)
    LJS
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, how would a spray cleaner/wax/whatever-they-would-call-it on a dashboard cause it to rattle?? :confuse:

Not blaming you, just wondering how they explained that...
    My thoughts exactly!
    I told him that explanation was B.S.
    I think they are just sick of trying to fix all the rattles and squeaks I've got.
    Not to mention that this Limited Avalon has the worst seats I've ever been in. They gave me a 2003 Avalon as a loaner today, and those seats are far superior in comfort than the 05 Avalon Limited. My wife bought me 2 car seat cushions from brookstone to help alleviate my discomfort.
    By the way I'm 39 years old, not an old man yet.
    LJS
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Hyunday has come a long way and they make very good products.

However, I have to comment your blanket statement - "bought the Hyundai for a family member. I can assure you that it has 16K trouble free miles - which is a lot better than many Avys have done."

The reverse could also apply (more likely). Choose any 40K trouble free Toyota and pin it against "pick any Hyundai model you want". Comparing one vehicle against a whole model segment is an argument that just doesn't wash (particularly on the web).

In time maybe Hyundai (and others) will push manufacturers like Toyota to offer better products at a competative price. Everyone wins.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I would not dare go into these mountains in the wintertime in a FWD vehicle, NEVER!

A tire chains, especially the cable chains that are so prone to failure, can be a real hazard on the front of a FWD vehicle.

Your Toyota manual will tell you that it can be dangerous to have an inordinantly higher level of traction on the front versus the rear in adverse roadbed conditions.

Borrow a friends RWD or AWD vehicle if you really intend to drive over the pass in these conditions.
  • tpsrtpsr Member Posts: 1
    I am a 70yr.old retiree living in a dated community in Florida, I say this because after I bought a Hyundai in 2001, seven other people living here also purchased the same model within six months.
    I own a 2001 Hyundai XG300L (50,700K) that has been trouble free, as well as the others in here.

I Previously leased an Avolon. I'm in the market for a new car (back to a lease) and I'm having a real tough time choosing between the Azera limited Ultimate and the Avolon Limited. There are more options in this car than my 1995 lexus LS had and it cost 2 to 4,000 less than the Avolon. Is this a fair comparison? Probably not, but.........

I'm an ex Marine, no one more American and I would love to buy American and almost always do, but As I felt in 1995 and a gentleman stated earlier, What's the most bang for the buck? I worked hard for my money, as most people have, so I have little guilt in my decision making.......TP

Oh yeah.....Lousy resale value at this point, but it served me well!
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    njny: While you are sitting in the car with all doors and windows closed, ask someone to press and release the black panel under the wipers, and see if it reproduces the rattle you hear. If the rattle you describe sounds like it originates where the windshield meets the dash, it could very well be that panel OUTSIDE the car that is the cause, and the sound is traveling through the firewall. I had this problem before...
    I am a rattlephobic - I despise them with a passion and I've been surprised many a time to discover that the source of a rattle is not where it sounds like it is coming from.
    I've taken dashboards apart looking for rattles and I have found that Toyota dashboards are very well insulated inside, and don't generally rattle. Rattling when cold but not when warm suggests metal expansion and contraction so I would start looking at things that are metal or secured by metal fasteners.
    I have found that the bolts that secure the dash to the firewall and the vehicle frame on the sides are sometimes loose. This can cause dash movement and noises as temperatures change. The bolts are located under the dash and in the door frame of the new Avalon and may require tightening. Make sure that the bolts securing the hood hinges are tight and also the bolts securing the fenders. Check the brake lines along the firewall in the engine compartment and make sure that their mounting brackets are tight - also the a/c pipes and heater hoses going through the firewall.
    You may have to track it down yourself. I have never had any success with a dealer when it comes to rattles.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I've driven over Snoqualmie many times in the past 40 years and would take a FWD over a RWD every single time. In a FWD, I've only used chains when the "Chains are required" sign is on but with the RWD, chains may be needed for traction when a FWD can do just fine without them.
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    Wwest is right about the mountains. Lived in BC Interior for 12 years. Luckily. we never had a problem driving because you learn to be super careful--4WD, AWD, 2WD, and FWD!! Been scared many times though. If you want to travel in any direction from BC Interior you have to go thru 'those mountains'--Coquahalla Pass or Sunday Summit to Vancouver (3 to 5 hours depending which route); Rogers Pass or Kootenays to Calgary (8 to 10 hours depending which route); And north/south--Blueberry/Paulson route--you just don't go that way in severe snow (2 lanes unserviced!!)
    Often our community was isolated for days every Winter.
    BC Gov't gives excellent road reports and traffic advisories for travellers--often telling them not to travel. In severe conditions the RCMP does road checks to all vehicles entering these routes because snow tires/studs and chains are mandatory.
    When chains self destruct en route the damage to a car can be horrific. FWD only seems(debatable)to provide better traction and may not require chains in SOME conditions--RWD with rear engine (ie older Volkswagen) was pretty good (best snow vehicle we ever had!)--4WD is OK but won't get you out of trouble in all conditions particularly heavy wet snow--AWD is about the same as 4WD.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I've never used chains. Never had to with FWD. I agree with you. For best traction in snow and ice conditions AWD is best, followed by FWD and bringing up the rear is RWD (sorry for the pun). It may be hard for some to accept but these are facts. Heck, I just heard on the radio this morning Mercedes advertising the introduction of a new FWD for better winter traction (compared to RWD). For those who want to dispute this claim take it up with DC.
    Other than poor MPG, if I put enough sand bags in the trunk of my car to overcome the engine weight advantage at the front?
    Any way you can put weight on the non driving wheels will certainly help for better contact. Avalons are a fairly heavy automobile and are probably better than most FWDs for rear wheel grip on snow--but---when the back end tries to get frontwards as in a serious skid, things can get mighty interesting!
    I would only recommend a FWD vehicle in ALL types of snow conditions if it had studded tires. They might do OK in SOME snow conditions, but not all for sure.
    Let's think a minute, here.... If you put a few sandbags in the trunk it's probably OK. Like luggage. But if you add too many you are going to begin lifting the nose, making it lighter than the normal range. This could be dangerous.

We have little snow to drive thru here in Georgia. But anything that lifts the nose of a car or truck is probably bad for safety. Perhaps one of the "cold climate" contributors with this experience could suggest how much ballast (sand) is actually helpful.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Are the avalon pistons made of steel or aluminum? I never heard of forged aluminum pistons. This may be, with all of the new technology going on everywhere.

I think the oval shape resulting from being cold is difficult to believe is happening.The rings ride along
    the cylinder walls and they should take up the uneven areas and allow for a smmoth travel. I can't believe our high rpm engines would allow the pistons to become non concentric at any time. I have found the engine is noisy even after long trips.

I remember the day my avalon arrived. I sat in the car 15 minutes while the salesman finished with his customer ahead of me. I had the engine running and it so quiet that the only way I could tell was by looking at the rpm dial. Now after 8,000 miles there is no need to look at the rpm dial. The noise is louder than other cars I have had. What has changed? I have the dealer doing the oil changes just in case and I coughed for up the 100,000 mile warranty.
    ange1
    I'll try and answer two questions in one post.
    First, the sandbag issue. This info applies to Avalons and any other FWD automobile, but also worth remembering for any car.
    A couple of hundred pounds (sand is great--shovel it under wheels for traction if needed!) in the trunk isn't going to raise the front too much, and will give that much more weight to the rear wheels to help them "stick", as in gain a little grip to help reduce skidding in a turn. You are correct--too much weight will do as you suggest, namely raise the front and affect drive wheel traction. It could also aggravate a skid because of an increased moment of lateral inertia in a skidding turn.(Ouch!!) The truly important issue when driving in snow is how varying snow conditions dramatically effect how a car behaves; no matter what tires; where weight is placed; which wheels drive (front back or all at once); you can find yourself in trouble if the wrong snow conditions are present. Shallow, wet, soggy snow is going to hurt, dry crunchy snow is better, black ice is deadly; fresh snow on top of ice is really nasty; really deep and drifting snow will trip you up; and so on. Snow doesn't always hit the ground in the same form, moisture content,temperature, and consistency. One snow driving strategy doesn't fit all conditions--except perhaps this one: "Use common sense and don't overdrive your car's capability." Cut paste this piece into the M&R--"Winter Driving" Forum if you see fit to do so--there's an informative discussion there on this same subject.

Second question--for ANGE; The 'forged pistons' question. They are aluminium, cast,machined, and not forged.
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    I too considered both vehicles and after test drives and careful consideration the Azera was my choice. I felt it road better, a little firmer but better handling, had smoother acceleration and trans shifts, fit and finish in my opinion is better, and provides the most bang for my buck. I have put a little over 1k miles on it and have yet to find any defects. Not a single rattle or squeek. I paid $29k, out the door including 10yr/100k bumper to bumper extended warranty, for a Limited w/Ultimate package.
    To Ange: Forged aluminum pistons are every old time hotrodder's dream. Strong and light, they have been around for decades in racing, but you won't find any in Avalons as *hylyner* said. Too expensive and too much noise when you start the engine. Cast aluminum is the piston choice. Tighter fit. Avalon uses an aluminum engine that, like most, has a cast iron cylinder liner. Unlined aluminum bores are risky. So much for Engine Building 101....

Keep the board informed about the noise and what happens at the dealership. Avalon engines are generally very quiet, as you know. This is interesting.
  • michaelg73michaelg73 Member Posts: 5
    I have 800 miles on my '06 black LTD. I love the car. I talked to the service manager about the knock when cold. He told me it was the fuel injectors but could'nt explain why. I don't believe it. I bought the 100K warranty but only because my son inlaw is the finance manager at the dealer and makes his money on such things. May as well get something for the money instead of giving it to him outright' right? I have a 2000 Tundra with a 4.7L V8. It has always make the same noise when cold. Nobody has ever been able to explain it on that engine either. I have 60K miles on the truck and have no other symptoms, the noise hasn't gotten worse and always goes away when warming up.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Azera was my choice
    I paid $29k ... for a Limited

tinydog1 -

I don't understand. Did you buy a Hyundai or an Avalon?

Max
    I meant to ask if I can get the same traction as FWD by putting sandbags in the trunk of my RWD, just enough to equal the otherwise disparate F/R weight ratio, and thereby avoid the hazards of FWD and yet have equal traction?
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    I purchased the Hyundai Azera Limited/w Ultimate package. I also own a 2004 XG350L and have had no issues with it in 2 years and 26k of ownership. Also the Avalon I test drove had a rattle, that would have driven me insane after a while, especially on a new car.
    If we keep on this snow driving subject, our host is probably gonna soon remind us this is about Avalons.
    That said, I apologize to the host in advance, and I'll try to answer your question--even tho' you probably already know what might be a proper answer to that question. Your knowledge exceeds mine by a long way.
    I would guess that as long as you didn't put excessive weight in the rear of a RWD vehicle, traction would be as good as FWD. My experience doing it has shown that's realistic. I do however, strongly recommend putting the weight directly over the rear wheels if possible, for best results.
  • robert52robert52 Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if there were any changes to the front end of the 2006 Avalon Touring from the 05? I want to order a bra for my new car as I do alot of highway driving. Toyota parts say they dont have one and all of the aftermarket companies just show 05 too. I dont think anything has changed, but want to make sure before I potentially throw money away. Thanks.
  • scs111scs111 Member Posts: 22
    I've had my Limited for 3 weeks and have put 672 miles on it. I haven't experienced ANY problems listed on this forum. The Avalon is a fantastic car!! :)
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I don't think there have been any changes. I bought a front end mask for my Avalon Limited. I let the dealership where I bought the car put it on for me and they threw away the box it came in. I couldn't get it off, so had to go back and let them take it off. It was a pain!!! They broke the clips on that cover between the grill and the engine. They had to take off the license plate and that plastic cover(which is why the clips broke- they have to be replaced every time they are removed). Anyway, I can't return the mask to the company I bought it from because I don't have the original box. My mask has been on a shelf ever since. I don't recommend them. They do not go on like the ones on the older avalons.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I have driven two cwown victories over 180,000 miles each. I always thought adding 100-200 lbs in the trunk would help by changing the center of gravity a little and provide a little more traction; never did add to the trunk. In reality it is hard to put excessive weight in the trunk unless you went over 500-600 lbs. Should you have two good sized passengers in the back seat you could reach 500 lbs without adding weight.

My effective way to get out of tough snowy or icey sitution is to drop the air pressure in the tires to about
    23-24 lbs in the rear with real wheel drive and likewise in the front, with front wheel drive. Just as soon as you get out of your bad sitution you add back the air. I have a cheap pressure gauge in the glove box to get a better guess as to the pressure I end up with.

The additional flat surface resulting from less pressure gives much better traction. During these stormy and icey conditions you are driving about 10-40 mph range. I have found no ill effects of driving this way from 1-2 miles to 35 miles. It is not safe to drive a high speeds with low tire pressure. ange1
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    If you want to protect the front end, get the 3M clear film. I saw a new Avalon today with a black bra and personally, it looked absolutely horrible. Why anyone would want to disfigure the lines & look of the car with one of those things is beyond me. :confuse:
    But then, different strokes....
    zekeman1
  • avasteravaster Member Posts: 20
    Why on such a fine car why would toyota put a little 2 in. chrome tip on the tail pipes. It looks like something you would buy at a discount car parts store. I notice them every time Im walking out to the car in a parking lot. Im looking into a way too have them chromed all the way up to the muffler. I think it would look better not to have them at all than too have them the way they are now.
  • robert52robert52 Member Posts: 27
    Zeke-Thanks for the response. I just traded a 2003 Altima 3.5SE for my 2006 Touring. THe front end looked like it had been through a sand blaster after 60K of highway miles. I am looking for the cheap way out and the car is black so I think it should look o.k. Noticed you are in KCK. Where did you buy your 2005?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Got it in Salina; dealership had an outfit who installed the 3M for me on the front end, hood edge, down to the fog lights, around the mirrors for about $275, I believe. Prices are very competitive for the material, so shop around if you decide to go that way. The Avalon I saw with the bra was the light green one - looked terrible with the black bra. On a black car, probably would blend nicely. I just never liked the things and the 3M is practically invisible, so that's been my solution.
    zekeman1