Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• sofl06avalonsofl06avalon Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2006 Ltd since 11/05 and have experienced consistent hesitancy or lag especially in stop & go traffic and merging onto freeways etc. It's been annoying me to no end. Discussed it with Toyota service during the 5000 mile service and told "normal characteristic" of the car. Drove another 06 Ltd on the lot and experienced the same. While "researching" this issue I found this forum about a month ago and have been reading several posts citing the same issue. It's had become apparent to me it was the drive-by-wire (DBW) technology and computer programming on this vehicle. An obvious design flaw or so I thought, until...

Two weeks ago while driving in HEAVY stop & go traffic I just happened to notice I was NOT experiencing any hesitancy, the car had become "uncharacteristic ally" VERY responsive. After about 2 miles of bumper-to-bumper stop & go traffic and trying to figure why my car had suddenly become a responsive powerhouse it hit me...my foot placement on the accelerator was different. Normally I toe between the brake and acclerator pedals but this time, for some strange reason I was moving my entire foot. The entire length of my foot was on the gas when I accelerated. I'd give the pedal an slight nudge and the car accelerated very smoothly, evenly, and without any hesitation. Couple days later I was again in heavy stop & go, and noticed hesitancy with acceleration and I recalled my foot position from the time before. I changed my foot position to full foot on the pedal and what do you know...COMPLETE resolution and car was again very responsive.

I know it sounds crazy, stupid, unbelievable, asinine, whatever...but since this discovery I can actually CAUSE my care to either hesitate in traffic or be very responsive to input on the accelerator simply by altering the position of my foot. I've since made a conscious effort to alter my driving habit (full foot on instead of toeing) and haven't had one episode of hesitancy, lag, or unresponsivness since. I've also noticed increased MPG during my 70/30 highway/city drive week. Have gone from 24 MPG to 29MPG this past week and a half.
  • rosendorosendo Member Posts: 1
    Great to find some so determined to find the noise problems that plague us. If you have any information you can share with me regarding the front passenger side seat noise and rattle on the rear shelf (behind the back seat) I would be greatly appreciative.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    I just got murdered by a riced out dodge neon in my '06 Avalon :-(!!!! It was quite embarassing to have a econobox beat this fine car....urgh Anyone know of any decent mods for the avalon?
  • sully63sully63 Member Posts: 3
    I was pretty jazzed about buying a new 06 Touring but after reading this nightmare of threads I'm rethinking this decision. I know that people don't typically come to these forums and write about successes but there has to be more than the couple I've read here.

Do all the posters here hate this car????

I was also considering the Maxima SL and the Lucerne CXL (perhaps the Azera but first model year scares me).
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    No, everyone here doesn't hate the car. IMHO just a few. I enjoy mine. The transmission doesn't hesitate and the DBW accelerator works smoothly because I know how to put my foot on the accelerator pedal correctly. I have no rattles, my MPG average 18-19 around town and 28-29 on the highway. The engine has a different sound than other engines but what engine doesn't. I know some people have problems, but I believe some problems are simply caused by driving habits. Get an Avalon, you' be glad you did.
  • lofgrenlofgren Member Posts: 14
    My Avalon XLS offers a remarkable combination of power, features, quiet interior, attractive appearance and fuel economy. I continue to marvel at the value. I was happy with a Lexus GS for several years, but see no need to pay considerably more than Avalon pricing for a very similar package of quality and certainly less mpg.
    I do not have the NAV or cooled seats that some appear to find irksome, so cannot comment on those, but there are no rattles or hesitation problems plaguing this owner.
  • badfish223badfish223 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Avalon check "engine light" is on and the trouble code tied back to "Random Misfire" or "Random Misfire in Cylinders 1, 3, & 5"?

Does anyone know how to fix the problem?
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks everyone for the responses. Not sure Toyota's explaination equates to a user friendly transmission/engine combination in this vehicle!!
    I bought one the first 05 Ltds last Feb and find driving in S mode does reduce the erratic behavior. Placing my whole foot on the gas pedal sounds like a "wifes tale" but what the heck, I'll try it out! Can anyone explain techncially whay this makes a difference-I will also investigate. I have about 15K miles on my LTD and have found using 100% synthetic oil (Mobil 1) helps performance and mileage. Also am installing a K & N air filter to increase HP a bit. I find keeping the Michilens consistently pumped up to 32 psi (use good dial gage and check in the morning before driving) helps mileage.

NWBLIZZARD
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Yea. When's the last time you changed spark plugs & wires?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Try posting at the Problem and Solution section ?
  • texasred1texasred1 Member Posts: 20
    "NO", all posters do not hate their cars. I have a suggestion that might help. Go to the top of the page and type in the search box....Power steering leak....and read what owners have written about problems they have experienced and how they still feel about their car. I think you will find that most Avalon owners, like myself, still LOVE their car even though they have had a problem that had to be fixed. I have a 2006 Avalon XLS with only 700 miles, that I ordered in Blizzard Pearl and I have recently noticed what appears to be a power steering oil leak, which I will soon take in to be repaired. But, I still LOVE my Avalon and would buy it all over again. I feel good everytime I get in it and have not experienced any hesitation, no rattles or any other problems, so far, and the good gas milage is great! Go test drive one on all kinds of road, under different conditions and that should help you to make up your mind. I hope that this info will help.
    TexasRed :D
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    As I understand it, placing only your toe on the pedal does not produce uniform and constant pressure which causes the car to question "are you pushing down or letting up, what do you want me to do" ? I wonder why some parents did not teach their children to press on the pedal with their foot instead of their toe. Maybe that started when their legs were too short to reach the pedals. Try the non-toe method and let us know if it works on your car. TIA
  • tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Absolutely not. However, the very few of those here who do search for reasons to hate this car feel that they must be as vocal as they can be about their opinions. I've had my Avalon for 11 months, 2 days, and 14000 miles, and besides some issues at the start, the car has been fine.

Steve
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I love my car. I don't have ANY rattles. It is super-quiet and on a road trip to Baton Rouge (463miles) I averaged 30 mpg going 70 and have gotten as much as 33mpg on previous trips. The seats are not as comfortable as my 2000 XLS but that is because of the heating/cooling ventilation. It doesn't shift as smoothly as the 2000, but I have gotten use to it - or it to me and I don't have any problems with hesitation. I read this forum every night and every time I get in my car, I just look for something to go wrong, but so far it has been great!
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    We hve to read the avalon specifications re the gas petal There is no mechanical connection to the fuel injection control. If we have a jumpy foot, then the car will respond accordingly. The petal operates "by wire". I am not an expert in fuel petals but I feel certain a point or position at the gas petal is lineral to fuel addition. This is electronic and either works or not. Every movement of the petal responds to a given amount of fuel added. The computer then , in milli seconds adjusts the exact amount of air to get complete combustion as possible. ange1
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi:
    I too want to increased Avalon performance. I have an 05 XLS. The K&N air filters only increase HP when they are the entire "cold air intake system", which to the best of my knowledge is unavailable on the 05-06 Avalons. A cold air intake system looks like a two-foot long bent stovepipe with a conical head at the end.

Any K&N aire filter sized to fit and replace the stock Avalon filter will neither produce better HP nor increased MPG. All it will do is last forever provided you clean it regularly with the proper solvents, and re-oil it appropriately - not as care free as simply dropping in a regular stock $10 paper air filter.

I too will switch to Mobil One when I hit 10k miles - it seems to help in any car. Hope I've helped.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    It's "SHUDDER", not "SHUTTER". Normally spelling errors don't get to me, but it's being repeated too often. Just a little anal I guess. Sorry if I hurt any feelings.

Though I hae a slight tranny shudder at low speed gear changes, it's no worse than in other toyotas I've tested, and I've experienced no worsening of the problem, which at this point bodes well for the oft-complained-about Toyota V6 5spd tranny. Time will tell.

I am hearing the fast rattling noise described elsewhere as being anywhere from the rear parcel shelf to the rear of the moonroof. I'll attempt to remedy via the method by AlanS (I think) and post my results.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Good idea on keeping the tires at the right pressure, but save your money on air filters... Not likely you will notice any real difference by spending money on a fancy name or some type of less restrictive device. Might sound a little more powerful, but it really isn't. If significant horsepower were that easy to find, Toyota would have put it in there as a new car part.
  • d_bondid_bondi Member Posts: 3
    Can you post a picture of the car with the mudguards installed? Thanks !
  • d_bondid_bondi Member Posts: 3
    Andre,

I would love to see a few pis of your installation, especially closeups of the locations and color match. I also have the Phantom Grey Metallic ('06 LTD). I just ordered the system for my wife's '01 Highlander and if the installation goes smoothly, I'll do it on the Avalon too.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Thanks for your comments on the Avalon. I was interested in the XL, but now I'm not purchasing it due to the tranny issue. It has become more and more of a concern here on this thread. The prices have really come down on the 2006s, I can get an XL for $24,400 plus ttl. I guess its due in part to the new Camry.

I have to agree with you on the Honda Pilot and how good the tranny/engine work together. Honda has come a long way in this area since the 1980s. I owned several Hondas and Toyotas (all trucks from Toyota - really good vehicles). Hondas used to hesitate, shift poorly, etc. The 2004 Accord that I have has a very smooth tranny.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's comments, but this vehicle is out as is the Azera since the resale would be quite poor.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    may give you about 3% to 5% improved HP, both only at times where the OEM filter can be considered to be restrictive, HIGH FLOW VOLUMES.

So, for a 300HP factory engine rating you might gain about 15HP at the torque curve peak.

Balance that with the HIGH possibility of contamination of the MAF/IAT sensors with oil wicked from the filter during those high flow volumes, and then dirt caked on the oil, and you'll begin to wonder if it was all worth the effort.

I have always wondered about this cold air intake issue so I did some research. That issue dates back to the long ago days when the engine air intake was somehere inside the engine compartment, downstream of the A/C condensor and radiator combination PRE-HEATING the airflow before it got to the engine air intake.

There have been several instrumented tests lately indicating that these cold air intake kits have NO BENEFIT WHATSOEVER provided the vehicle in question already has an equivalent intake system, as most modern day vehicles do.
    "Every movement of the pedal responds to a given amount of fuel added...."

NOT..!!

Toyota's DBW system, when coupled to an automatic transmission, does not respond to gas pedal position as you describe. Toyota uses DBW to "protect the drive train". While the transmission is in the process of shifting the onset of engine torque is intentionally delayed to give the transmission clutches time to fully and firmly seat.

In snow mode...

The "gain" is reduced, more pedal travel is required to produce a given level of engine torque, to make it easier for the diver to "feather" the engine and not provoke wheelspin/slip.

With traction...

The system will sometimes totally ignore the gas pedal position.

With VSC....

You get the picture....
  • genewillisgenewillis Member Posts: 1
    I have considerable noice inside the car when I am going slow in traffic, which sounds like valves rattling. It is very disturbing and I find that to eliminate it, I must turn the radio up louder that usual. I took it to the dealer and they said is was a new engine and it was normal. Not for me or any of the other 3 toytos I have owned. Also, they have cut corners with the one piece sun shade and elimination of side mouldings. Too bad.
    As Adam said to Eve, on their way out of the Garden of Eden, "We are entering a period of transition, My Dear!"

Some drivers may regret the need to accommodate changes dictated by drive-by-wire systems in the Avalon and other new vehicles, but the direction is clear, as set out (among many other places)at http://mira.atalink.co.uk/articles/104 .

"There is considerable interest in increasing functionality and safety by developing drive-by-wire systems where electronic controls are used to supplement the driver controls or even provide full authority over the vehicle functions. In a full-authority drive-by-wire system, the driver controls are simply inputs to a computerised system rather than directly commanding the vehicle functions."

Military and commercial pilots are well-experienced in these changes; we 2D operators are headed in the same direction.
  • gypsy13gypsy13 Member Posts: 28
    Boy, Texasred1, I'm glad to hear you say that. I know that a value of this board is the pool resources for times when things go wrong, as they sometimes will, but a casual reader could get it idea this isn't a good car. It is!

I have 9,200 miles on my 06 limited, and love it more every time I get in it. Sure, I did have to have the dealer find and fix a rattle in the overhead just about the RR seat, but they did it quickly and without complaint. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with the car, it's mileage, or how I feel while driving it.

Oh, I did adjust the headlights slightly higher. I didn't feel safe on a dark two-lane road when going to low beam...in fact, they were so low that I didn't feel safe over about 50 mph. Now I'm happy, and I'll be most Avalon owners are too.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    With a full-size spare on the Avalon, the Owner's Manual says to include it in the rotation on one side of the car while tires are rotated back-to-front. HOWEVER, the Avalon repair manual says to rotate front to back and then then put the (formerly) rear tires on opposite sides -- and also include the spare tire in the rotation. That way seems to be the best way to do it, however, Toyota says follow the Owner's Manual.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on which way is better?
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    Don't hesitate. GO FOR IT!!

I bought a 06 Limited in January and now have 2200 miles on it. The car is phenomenal, amazing, beyond all expectations! It is so smooth I wonder if the wheels are touching the ground. It is so powerful it still scares me sometimes.

Is it perfect? No. I'm annoyed that the NAV controller has a mind of it's own. The NAV voice control usually misunderstands me and is more for entertainment than functionality. I wish it had Bluetooth, an iPod interface, and MP3/CD playback built in. I wish the rear seats would fold to expand the trunk when I really need it.

BUT, every time I drive my wife's Hyundai Sonata or my old Suburban (which I love) I'm reminded of what an incredible vehicle the Avalon is. We have some very loud voices in this forum that seem to suffer from a world so small that the highlight of their day is moaning about their Avalon. One or two, I'm convinced are ringers that don't even own one.

Every car has a glitch or two or a design flaw and the Avalon is no exception. However, I have never owned or driven any vehicle that even comes close to the refinement and performance of this car. The more I drive it the better I like it.
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    Is the Avalon scheduled to have bluethooth like the RL any time soon?
  • sully63sully63 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Tstrick, Gypsy, TexasRed and others who took time to reply to my post. As I said,forums like these tend to gather the issues and not the accolades.

I'm debating between the Maxima SL and the Avalon Touring. I think I'm at a $2K differential price-wise with the Maxima having a few more whiz-bang features(based on a pricing from a no-haggle dealership that carries both)

To those lamenting the exclusion of Bluetooth on the Avalon, if you read into the various manufacturers offering you may not find your particular phone is supported. For example I have a Treo 650 and if I buy the Maxima, their website tells me it is not supported so how it works and to what extend I can use the various features is unknown. But it is part of a package and I will get it anyway. Seems strange that Bluetooth is marketed as a "standard" but apparently isn't so.
    Find a car with a manual transmission and DBW and you will encounter a totally different experience from your DBW in a car with an automatic transmission.

Especially an automatic wherein the engineers have adopted the scheme proposed by Sierra Research back in 99 that allows the overall fuel economy to improve by 9.8%.

My guess would be that for mostly city driving the number of shifts per mile is increased by at least a factor of three. Lots of extra, additional wear on those clutches provided something wasn't done to "protect the drive train".

The few "sticks" I have driven acted, reacted, just as if there was a mechanical connection. So any problem lies NOT with the DBW of itsself, but what the design engineers decide to do with it to "protect the drive train".
  • regisregis Member Posts: 94
    "The Azera has the WORST crash test data OF ANY SEDAN MADE IN 2006"
  • musoukamusouka Member Posts: 4
    I am not a big fan of Hyundai but I don't find the results bad by any means...

2006 Hyundai Azera 4-DR w/SAB

NHTSA Releases New Crash Test and Rollover Ratings
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Oh yes I do own one and am unhappy. However, it brings satisfaction that I am seeing more and more people on this forum complain.

The engine hesitation is still terrible.

The engine valve noise is still there and I wonder why my 2002 xls was so quiet that you wondered if the engine was running.

The fronts seats are like setting on leather covered wood.

The rattles in the dash and rear headboard are annoying.

The navigation system is a joke. period,almost unusable.

The tire noise is very loud except on the best of new roads.

so there,

Al
  • texasred1texasred1 Member Posts: 20
    I read your post and I hear where you are coming from. I guess some of us are more lucky than other. In regards to some of the things that you mentioned.....You might read carefully, the posts about how to place your foot on the gas pedal,it seems to stop the hesitation. One post in particular, was amazed that it solved his problem. (sorry that I do not have that post #). There are several posts on this issue. About the engine valve noise...my XLS is as quiet as a mouse, so I cannot help you there. My front seats are firm, but I knew this before I bought the car. Our seats are also firm in our Ford truck and our 1986 Lincoln Continental. Concerning rattles.....Boy do I feel for you there! My husband says I can hear a fea walk on carpet. Thank-goodness so far, I do not have any rattles, but if I did, I would go to post #11589 and get help to get rid of the problem. Different posts have said that they had rattles, but were able to get rid of them. I do not have the navigation system, but some people seem to really like it. Maybe you could write a post to those owners that get the most out of their system. It might help you to enjoy yours more. As far a tire noise...well there is some. As you said on good roads it is very quiet and on gravel, there is noise. All cars have some road noise unless you pay $40,000.00+ and we could not afford that. But if road noise is a big issue for a new car buyer, then test driving an Avalon on all kinds of roads is a must. For yourself, some say different tires lessen sound in the cab of a car or you could turn up your radio. I sincerely wish you the best in resolving these issue, so that you can truly enjoy the fine car that you own. I hope that this info will help. I have written this post with the best of intentions.
    TexasRed :D
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    First: A recent message about keeping one's foot on the "gas PETAL".... I didn't know we had to have a bunch of flowers on the floor to encourage the Avalon to proceed...

Second: I sat in a 2007 Camry at Miller Toyota in Manassas last week, dutifully followed the prompts on the navigation screen, inputting my address, zip code, etc.,and TWICE was rewarded with "...there is no such address on that street..." Strange, isn't it, how a VERY expensive navigation system can't seem to locate the house I've lived in for 18 years, in a community of hundreds of houses, just 10 miles from the dealership? No wonder there are gripes about Toyota's Nav system !!
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I have colored mudguards and can send pics
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I just had bluetooth placed (intelligentsystems). All voice activated. 3yr warranty. Lightsup at night. Mudguards look good
    Neil, could you give us all a little more info on the Bluetooth system you had installed? I did a Google search on "intelligentsystems" but didn't find anything that refers to Bluetooth.

Is "intelligentsystems" the manufacturer or the shop that installed it?

We're all interested -- just need more info. Thanks!
    Algee, my apologies. You've and a few others have expressed your extreme dissatisfaction for so long that I decided anyone who really had a car they hated that much would have traded it by now.

I hope you find something you like better soon and I'm sorry you ended up with a lemon. I, honestly, have had NONE of the problems you describe except that the NAV controller is fussy and the voice recognition is comical.

Best of luck finding a car you love as much as I do my Avalon.

Tom
  • jdre86jdre86 Member Posts: 30
    I really really want a backup camera, rearview monitor thingamabob and I need to know all of the parts that I need to purchase in order to get it. Also, can somebody provide a ballpark figure of how much I'll have to come out of pocket? Thanks in advance.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    wwest, I have a question for you, please. I have noticed that when the gas pedal is in the idle position, it has to be depressed an unusual amount of travel before the engine responds. I think this dead-spot may be contributing to the throttle response hesitation because obviously it takes time for the pedal to be depressed to the point that the engine responds. At the trigger-point the engine really accelerates, and in traffic, this dead-spot followed by rapid power-on is very obvious and sometimes difficult to modulate properly.
    I have examined the variable-resistor/potentiometer housing that the gas pedal is attached to, to see if there is any external pot screw adjustment that adjusts either the minimum voltage resistance or physically adjusts the pedal position - either of which may reduce or eliminate this lag. All I see are a couple of recessed square aluminum caps on the left of the housing which look difficult to remove without damaging them. Do you know whether such an adjustment exists, perhaps under the caps? I don't want to remove the entire assembly unless I have to.
    I compared the Avalon's DBW system with our new Pilot. The Pilot uses a regular cable that runs into the engine compartment into the variable-resistor module and it has a regular cable adjustment to take up any slack so the vr responds instantly to gas pedal movement. It seems a better system than the Avalon's and is certainly more maintainable. I am hoping there is an adjustment on the Av.
    Thanks!!!
  • sgchilisgchili Member Posts: 11
    You want to modify your car because a Neon out-raced you at a light?

Jeez.
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    In all the forums I track I find it to be the same environment. I don't understand how anyone can get informative information on this website when all these people complain about things and stay on the topic forever. There is some forums that I track that you come back and there is 50 posts in like a half hour all about some piddly little thing. It certainly makes it hard having to read everything and then pick out the stuff that is useful. The basic point is: You don't like the car you are driving now then go buy what you do like and stop complaining to people.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    How can someone invest serious money on a new car purchase without thoroughly researching the choice? I don't just walk into the first dealer I find, pick a car, strike a deal and drive out, I spend many moons driving and examining before I buy. I will often test drive a car, wait a period of weeks or months, then test drive it again to be sure my impressions and senses are all in agreement. I may even go back and test drive my second choice on the same day just to be certain.

Basically if you buy a car that you're not completely in love with that marriage will surely end in divorce....
  • texasagstexasags Member Posts: 5
    I wish I had purchased a BMW 3 series instead of my 06 Avalon. I also have the Transmission Shudder issue. The car is quick, but the only BMW's that are slower are the 325,525, X3, and X5. Anything else BMW is quicker plus all BMWs handle better; I have driven all the current BMW models.

I would also argue with the "church quiet" (not "quite") and "superb build" (not suberb) comments. This car is as noisy as my wife's Suburban and I have numerous rattles.

I have no problems with the firm seats, but I am only 5'11" and I hit my head on the roof. Also, the steering wheel does not telescope out enough.

Finally, in my opinion, the Avalon rides no better than the 325i I traded on it. I wish I still had that car, it was superior in every way.

Also, I get 28 mpg in my every day driving which is about 130 miles highway and 20 miles city. Around town is more like 16-18 mpg.

All in all, I wish I had purchased another BMW or possibly the certified LS430 I looked at for LESS MONEY and much, much better service.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Guys, go easy. There are some of us who have legitimate problems and this forum allows people to vent their feelings, share solutions and extol products as they feel.
    If you don't have problems with your Av, be pleased that you are fortunate - it doesn't mean they don't exist, but don't condemn others who have been unfortunate to get a problematic one. Not everyone can afford to dump a new car even if they wish they could, and if you do ever have a problem you will find that Toyota isn't on your side...
  • endovitendovit Member Posts: 31
    I too would like to see. Could you post?
    #176 of 202 2006 Avalon by texasags Sep 30, 2005 (10:25 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    I looked at both cars along with the G35, 3 series, Maxima and I went with the Avalon. I commute an hour one way to work, so comfort was the supreme consideration. Also, the service costs on the G35 were rediculous ($300 for 15k, $600 for 30K according to dealer). The 3 series and the G35 just weren't comfy enough and I hit my head on the headliner in the Maxima. So, I got the limited with NAV, laser cruise, and VSC and traction control. Couldn't be happier. 30-31 mpg highway, 26-28 mpg in rush hour traffic commute.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    yes, there is an SRT version of the Neon that will run 5 second, 0-60s and blow the doors off an Avalon. Why would you care - the Avalon will never ever be a 'rice rocket'