Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Well, I can tell you how that competition worked out for me. I sold my 2004 ES 330 at 20K miles and two of the replacements I was considering were the ES 350 and the Av Limited. I was fully prepared to buy the 350 until I drove the Avalon. The choice was obvious for me - Avalon gives me what I want in a car for a lot less money.

Sure, with the Av you have to adjust the steering column position by hand rather than by push button, the tranny is 5 speed vs. 6, and the Lexus nav includes a backup camera. Oh, you also get a smaller car with much less leg room with Lexus. That decision took me about 2 minutes and like they say at McDonalds - I'm lovin' it!
  • lwardlward Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to everyone for the advice on the side moldings and the Laser Cruise. Your comments were very helpful!
  • lwardlward Member Posts: 5
    I have also been trying to compare the 2006 Lexus ES 300 with the 2006 Avalon Limited. So far, the comments on this new forum topic seem to be leaning toward the Avalon. Any other advice out there from Avalon or Lexus owners?
    Thanks!
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    the engine would be the best reason to lean towards the Av - much better power AND a coupla extra mpgs. Size as well, of course. ES300 likely very limited availability by now and some discounting. ES350 a better comparison, at some additonal cost (that label does cost something)
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Did you mean the 2006 ES 330? (There hasn't been an ES 300 for several years). Or did you mean the 2007 ES 350 (which I suggested as a good head-to-head comparison with the Av Ltd, since it is the current/new Lexus model)?

I looked at and ruled out both the 2006 ES 330 and the 2007 ES 350 for different reasons. The 06 330 has a much smaller, less fuel efficient 6 cyl. engine than the Av, while the 07 350 has pretty much the same engine as the Av. Both Lexus models (330 & 350) are smaller than the Av, inside and out. The Av compares in size to the LS 430, the Lexus flagship. And in fact, more than a few car magazine reviews have described the Av Ltd. as a "poor man's LS 430", and a car that offers 85% of what the LS 430 offers. (If you can overlook the absence, on the Av, of the Lexus badge and the V8 engine of the LS 430, you can seriously argue that the Av rivals the $60,000 LS 430 for a whopping 45% less, approximately, in MSRP). As for the comparison of the Av Ltd. to the ES 350, you'd have to order the ES 350 with a $2500 "Premium Plus" package (boosting its total MSRP over $36,300) to get that car with heated/ventilated leather seats, driver's seat cushion extender, and rain-sensing wipers, all of which are standard on the Av. Ltd. Even then, your ES 350 still wouldn't have the power rear sunshade, wood-trim steering wheel, HID headlights, and a 12 speaker premium sound system that are all standard equip. on the Av Ltd. At Lexus, those items are either add'l cost options or only available as part of a much more expensive option package on the ES 350. In fairness to the ES 350, it does come standard with electronic stability control (optional on the Av); a power tilt/telescope steering column (these are manually adjustable on the Av); and knee airbags for driver and front seat passenger (only a driver knee airbag on the Av.) You will likely find that Toyota dealers will be willing to offer you a MUCH MORE SUBSTANTIAL discount on the Av Ltd. than you will get on the ES 350. In May 2006, I was offered 11% off list on a 2006 Av Ltd. and 19% off list on a brand new 2005 Av Ltd. Try asking for discounts like that at your Lexus dealer! (My local Lexus dealer offered me only 4% off a 2006 ES 330, which they had to unload to make room for the new ES 350 models arriving - that discount was almost insulting!) With discounts over 10% at Toyota, you could buy yourself the stability control and laser cruise control options (together they add about $1250), and you'd still come out thousands below a comparably equipped ES 350. That's my take on the value proposition represented by the Avalon Limited - and, more importantly, I'm really enjoying the car, too!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi gohawaiian - you can go to this link and fire up that comparo if you'd like: Toyota Avalon. After it's started, I'll link it over to the ES 350 board so we'll get some participation from those folks as well.
  • jhavignjhavign Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know when the 07 Avalon will be out?
  • beeman4ubeeman4u Member Posts: 34
    Hi gladiator99,

Word to the wise. I decided to go with the whitest and purchased the 9006ST bulbs. During installation, I realized I was having tremedious problems. They would not fit! I was led to believe Sylvania had manufactured the wrong bulbs. My Toyota manual clearly stated I needed 9006 bulbs. After total frustration, I returned to the store. The manager kindly pointed out the bulbs in my car (which specifies on the actual bulb)are 9005. He allowed me to exchange my 900ST for the 9005ST. I have yet to install them however they look correct when compared side by side. Can you believe Toyota? The actual bulb type in the car is a 9005 in my 2006 vehicle but the manual doesn't clearly point that out. Once installed, I will write again.

Regards
    Beeman
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    gohawaiian: Outstanding analysis. I'm convinced that, if prospective ES 350 buyers drove an Av Limited first, like I did, they would see the light and go with Avalon. I have a friend with an LS 430 who is also planning on making that switch before long.

As a side note, anyone have a clue as to when Toyota plans a complete redesign or major revision of the Avalon?

Dandydon
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    Looking back to 1995 when the Avalon first appeared, there have been a redesign every five (5) years.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    jlsexton: Dealer installed my moldings--$150 and they look great--better yet--they work!!
    Bob
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Pat (our Host) - I set up a new comparison topic per your suggestion. If you will now link it to the ES 350 board, let's watch the "fireworks" begin! ;) Thanks.
  • tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    9005's are for the high-beam. 9006's are for the low-beam.

Steve
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    I have Laser Cruise on my LTD and overall like it. The wife and I are retired and take long road trips. The LCC helps us stay alert if we are distracted for any reason especially during a long day of driving on new freeways. Also helps to stay dialed in with busy traffic and keep good seperation.
    I did the linking - but let's go into this looking to learn and provide information for others, rather than looking for a turf war, why don't we ... ;)
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    With the advent of 100+ temperatures, I'm considering having the windows of my '06 Limited tinted. I think I'll opt for the non-metallic type, however, I want to be sure that the tinting doesn't cause any problems. Does a tinted back window (at the 35% legal in WA) cause problems for the auto-dimming mirror?

Are there any other issues to consider regarding tinting?

Thanks for your opinions.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    nimimi: Had mine done by the dealer in Missouri--not sure of the (%)--they look great and no problems with radio or auto-dimming mirror. Cost at the dealer was $140---I know, probably chaeaper places---but--I figured "best" to have it done by the dealer--then if any problems arise--the problems belong to the dealer! Our dealer also undercoats all their cars---living in the Midwest it not only helps with corrosion, its also great for sound deadening.
    Bob
    That's great! When I bought the car, the dealer said nothing about window tinting.

I was quoted $265 for all windows but the windshield.
  • 44394439 Member Posts: 21
    My advice is to use a metallic tint on the side windows and a non-metallic on the rear window. The metallic will hold up and reflect the sunlight better. Because the radio antenna is located in the rear window, Toyota and window tinting companies recommend a non-metallic tint. I tinted my windows using the above method for about $250.00. Make sure you check out the window tinting company by looking at other cars they have done work on. Also ask if the rear window tint will be one piece or two. Two piece tint may show a seam when the tint dries.
    How does the metallic on the side windows look? Is it quite reflective?
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    today it rained and LASer CC went red light on the dash indicating laser diffusion. I switched to standard Cruise.Lets see other cars do this!!! Awesome car. I have Backup camera as well...and love it!
  • yammiyammi Member Posts: 3
    o6 Limited,blizzard pearl....This is the 4th Avalon I have owned and I love it. Get 30 to 31 mpg using CC on open road. Retired7, how do you change from laserCC to standardCC?
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Posted by jhavign
    "Does anyone know when the 07 Avalon will be out?"

Yes, They start production in July so figuring two months to the dealer lot and you should start seeing them in September. Maybe late August....
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Why would one want to buy a Lexus ES350 over an Avalon Limited?, beats me when they're only getting a Camry with a Lexus body...cost difference ...about $10,000..go figure...guess some like the "L" prestige.

Cj
    As someone mentioned in the discussion gohawaiian created, size might matter to some. It would to me. My father recently bought an 06 Avalon and, while he loves it, the thing is just too big for me. If I had only these two cars to choose from, I'd go for the ES for that reason alone.

Your figure of $10,000 is incorrect. A loaded Limited could easily cost more than an ES 350. Check out the numbers. :)

Anyway, let's continue here if you'd like: Toyota Avalon Limited vs. Lexus ES 350 Comparison.
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    It just won't have to dim as much because the tinting will dim the light coming into the window.
  • sunny_8sunny_8 Member Posts: 10
    Bought I new 06 Avalon XL, noticed the bumper and left fender (by the turn signal light) were not totally in line.

Took it to the dealer in Joliet IL, they said its normal

Also get some grinding noise when I turn the wheel in the morning, is that normal also ?

Any comments welcome ....

thanks
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    to move to Normal Cruise C, you turn on Cruise and push it away for a few seconds...I believe then it shifts from Laser. When you shut it off and restart it reverts to Laser again. Nice feature.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi Beeman!!
    Sorry to hear you went to all that trouble!! I will have to look in our 05 manual to see what bulbs are specified. I may change ours later on but for now I will stay with the stock bulbs. I know that after getting used to the HID lights on our previous vehicle the lights on the Avalon seem weak compared to HID. Let us know how the lights are when you get them changed?

Take care!!
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    I also own a 06 Avalon Ltd and I do not see any misalignment. What I suggest you to do is go to the Dealer's lot and check out some of the 06 Avalon(s) for some visual comparisons.
  • yammiyammi Member Posts: 3
    Hi neil5,

Thanks for the tip on the CC. I thought I had the owners manual memorized, but I missed that. ha I'm 65 years old and have had many makes and models of cars down thru the years, everything from Volkswagens to Cadillacs. This is the 4th Avalon I've owned (2 of them totaled by wife...neither one her fault) and I must say my 06 Limited is probably the best of the lot. A pleasure to drive and so many nice features that makes it a good value for the money.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Hi gladiator99,

Are you perchance a reviewer for Consumer Reports? Your choices are also CR's top choices!

In the Aug. 2006 issue CR gave top marks to the Garmin Nuvi 350, just as you did.

They also tested the 2007 Camry and the Azera. Both scored high, but both came below (your and my) Avalon XLS, which remains CR's top-rated large sedan.

I posted a summary of the CR reviews in the Camry-Avalon comparison forum (#51).

Regards,

havalongavalon
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    One other subtlety about this is that you CANNOT change modes once you've set a speed. i.e. if you've been cruising in laser distance mode you can't just switch to normal mode without turning the cruise system completely off.

Tom
  • netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    Hello All,

Was car shopping yesterday and came across some interesting news about 07 Avalon changes at least for Toyota Canada.

*The Touring model will not be offered in Canada anymore
    *VSC/Trac will be come standard on XLS
    *Rain sensing wipers will be STD on XLS
    *Bluetooth to JBL stereio
    *One new peril colour will be added.
    *nothing mentioned about 6spd or anything drivetrain changes

Lets hope we see this and more changes!

Netwon
  • tzuppetzuppe Member Posts: 13
    Got quotes from 6 dealers on trading in 2006 Avalon Limited (22,000 mi.) that had MSRP of $35,200 and they are only offering $23,000 - $24,000. They usually use Kelly Blue Book, but Kelly only has 2005 and showing $24,500 so 2006 should be $25,500 - $26,500.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    I sure hope the lack of mention of the 6 speed tranny was an oversight.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    may want to rethink the 6 speed tranny wish - there have been a few mechanical (snap ring) failures and the forums are starting to fill up with 'h' word complaints.
    According to Toyota Fleet there aren't any color changes for 2007..... Are you certain your source is correct?

http://fleet.toyota.com/html/documents/MY_2007_Color_Chart.xls

I also had a dealer tell me that the 6 speed was "a definite" for 2007 but I don't have confirmation yet.

Toyota should announce pricing for the 07' Avalon either tomorrow or on Monday of next week.
    Re-posted from another forum:

Published in April 2006
    http://www.arifleet.com/pnews/2006/pn608.pdf
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    You would need to subtract for high mileage from the 2005 number. A 2006 (current model year) with 22,000 miles would be considered a high mileage vehicle, less warranty left, more wear and tear on consumables (tires, brakes, etc.) Doesn't matter what kind of miles you say they were, it's still high mileage and you take the hit on depreciation. :(
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    6 speed tran. with Camry (ES350 too). Plus probably whatever new tech goodies 2007 Camry have. I am choosing between these two. The invoice price diff. is roughly 3-3.5K for XL/T/XLS v.s. LE/SE/XLE. I am leaning toward Avalon for our next family car (2 young kids), but my frugal side demands me to justify. Now, other than obviously being larger in size (which is fine but not necessary to me) and a step up in Toyota family, what does those 3K buy me? tangible/intangible. Please share your side of story, thanks.
    As in the Camry discussion, let me repeat my request that those who have some thoughts for you come to comparison discussion to respond. Here's the link: ctl, "Toyota Camry 2007 vs Toyota Avalon" #59, 30 Jun 2006 12:14 pm.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hello havalongavalon!
    Good to see that you are still around!! It would be nice if I could get on consumer reports payroll. No I am just an average consumer but I do like to do some research before I purchase a new product.
    I have been reading the discussions on the Lexus ES350 vs the Avalon limited and was wondering whether my next vehicle might be a new Lexus. I will have to go to VCR to drive one as we don't have a dealer here. Have you driven the ES yet?
    Would be great to hear your opinion on this!!!
    Regards!!
  • weavercityweavercity Member Posts: 11
    In the current issue of Forbes magazine on page 58, Forbes makes a case that consumers don't seem to mind the "bumbling" of Toyota. They point out that there seems to be a disconnect between perceived Toyota quality on behalf of the public and the hard data surrounding quality problems; as measured by the number of recalls as a percentage of vehicles in operation. Toyota scored 10.1% recalls vs. GM which scored 6.8%. They also point out that redesigned Avalon (05- 06) has dropped in Consumer Reports reliability ratings from "much better than average" to "average". In another issue it is pointed out that Buick's Lacross and Lucern have higher reliability rateings than the Avalon. When we read about the numerous transmission issues posted here as well as other glitches it makes you wonder. Noneless I just returned from a 1500 mile trip in my Avalon and enjoyed the trip. However, I'm going to take a second look at the Buicks.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    one big reason The L is made in Japan.
  • 06limited106limited1 Member Posts: 1
    After riding in my '06 Limited for more than 15 minutes the seam on the bottom of the seat becomes like torture to sit on. It is raised and becomes hardened after sitting on it.

I can't be the only person who has experienced this uncomfortable seat. Has anyone either had the dealer fix the problem or gone to any upholstery shop to eliminate or smooth out the seam or somehow add aditional padding? I recently added a seat pad to endure the discomfort... which is ridiculous to have for a brand new car.

I'm willing to go to an upholstery shop to have the seat modified. Has anyone come up with a fix?
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My cell phone battery was low, so I plugged it into my console and it said, "Not charging". I tried another cord and it didn't work either. I tried plugging both cords into our van to charge my phone and they both work, so evidently, something is wrong with the charger (or whatever it is called )in my car. I am almost afraid to take it to the local dealer because they have caused more problems than they have fixed on my past avalons. I hate to drive all the way into Dallas. Anyone have any ideas??
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I am glad somebody else agrees with me! I have complained about the seats from day 1. Have had my 05 for a year and 4 months now. The service manager told me (the day after I bought it) that they couldn't do anything about it. Every time I come home from a long trip I threaten to sell it just because of the seats. The seam across the back of the seat is terrible, too. If you get something done about yours and it works, let me know! Other than the seats and the fact that my cell phone charger isn't working right now, I love the car and have had no other complaints.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    You are not alone.....As an owner of an 05 Limited, I didn't realize how uncomfortable the driver's seat could be on long trips until after I took my first long trip. At first, I thought it was because of the recent back surgery I had, but when my wife also found the seat uncomfortable, I thought, perhaps, that there was something wrong with the seat, so I brought it back to the dealership. They simply said that all Limited's with the AC ventilated seats are like that. Well, from that point on, any long trips are usually done in my wife's Accord. As much as I like the AC ventilated seats, I would not do it again if it means giving up any comfort.
    The electrical outlets in the Avalon only work if the car is running or the ignition is in the "on" position.