Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    . . . and I have just the opposite experience. After a long trip in my '06 Limited, I am rested and relaxed. After long trips in other cars I have owned, I always was tense and had a headache. The Avalon is truly a joy to drive and to spend long hours in on the road!
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Agree-The only other seats I've enjoyed more were in a Volvo S80. I'm 6'2" and weigh over 250 lbs--so if anyone was to "sink" into the seats it would be me! Our 06 limited is a "dream" road car.
    Bob
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    My car was running. My husband was driving and I was trying to charge my phone. Is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown?
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    Maybe this is another Toyota "safety" feature, and like the nav system only works when the car is stopped.
    After all, your attention would be taken from driving the car if you were plugging something into the power outlets. :P

OK, end of sarcasm, but not the end of the utter contempt I have for the nav system when compared to others.
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    I just started having a problem with my '06 Limited I haven't seen on this board yet.
    Yesterday, when I pressed the nav/ac/stereo control panel, it only opened about a half inch and cannot even be pulled out manually.
    Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there an easy fix that doesn't involve going to the dealer? (I hate how long it takes them to do even the most minor repairs.)
    Thanks to anyone with a suggestion.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    a common complaint I hear about heated/cooled seats on all makes - what do you suppose the mfgrs. have to leave out to be able to put in whatever is required to heat and cool the seats - maybe a little padding?
    My seats are wnoderful but, then again, don't own the Limited.
  • metamelmetamel Member Posts: 7
    I thought that the 2007 Avalon prices was supposed to be available Saturday or Monday (7-3-06), but I haven't seen any thing on Edmunds site. Does anyone know when this info might become available and where? Also, I'm not sure if the 6-speed automatic transmission is going to added to 07 Avalons; does anybody?

Note, I oringally put this message under 2007 Wishlist, but it seems as if that discussion has low number of readers. Thanks.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Should be any day now, perhaps on Wednesday. I was hoping for today as well..
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Have 5700 miles on my 06 in less than 6 weeks; & find the drivers seat to be very comfortable. My wife has 5 crushed vertabrae & claims the pasenger seat to be very comfortable for her, even after 3 hours plus on the road.
    I know you were being sarcastic, but I did try it with the car stopped and just the acc switch on, too.
    Yeah, I think they did leave out the padding. I really wanted the XLS instead of the Limited, but the XLS seat bottoms were too short and so I wanted the seat extension feature. With the seat extended, it is about the same as my old avalon with the exception of the softness and the bolstering support. I didn't notice that it felt like I was sitting on a bowling ball until after I took a trip to Louisiana - 9 hours of riding!
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Well, I guess that comfort is a pretty subjective evaluation. I don't know if you have the Limited, but all that I can say is that the seats, for me, are not at all comfortable on a long trip. I understand that the seats for all other models of the Avalon are different, however.

Good luck and continue to enjoy your Avalon!

dan
  • netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    Saw the sheet for myself, but that is for Toyota Canada...

Netwon
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Your thought about a blown fuse is a good one. Have you looked for a fuse chart in your manual?
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    drove my Limited 06 500 mile trip. I could not believe milage 32mpg on 89 octane with A/C on. Drove wonderfully. My cousin who is a car nut could not believe the car and all the stuff in the car. The backup camera was a big hit as well.
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    What do you mean "backup camera"? The '06 Avalon limited does not come with the backup camera option! Do you mean the "cruise control" or are you talking about a different car?
    Yes I have backup camera!!!!
    http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/6295/cat/594

I installed aftermarket into DVD NAV Harness in the trunk..plug and play..pretty much. Get the most out your NAV system..also can play DVD's on the NAV screen if you want.
  • topgeartopgear Member Posts: 111
    Hi Neil! I guess you are saying you connected your camera without disturbing the dashboard. And, you connected the camera strictly to the unit in the trunk? Cool!

Also...can one watch DVD's while in motion?
    Perhaps you could share info like how much? And model numbers and where one can purchase this camera set-up?
    Thanks!
    -P
    not sarcastic at all - fact. Read your owners manual, it is so full of cautions and warnings that it is a miracle that you don't have email in a release before you can even start your own car.
    TV lawyers - going beserk (and making work for themselves) and quite ridiculous!
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    The fuse box is under the dash, left side of steering wheel. The cover swings down and all of the fuses are marked on the cover. There several spare fuse locations. You have to go to Toyota to get their special fuses. Couple of auto stores and radio shack didn't have any.

ange
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I installed my Boyo VTL-100 license camera, along with G-Net NavVideo plug and play unit yesterday. It took some time and changes to have the remote control on the dash. The hardest part was getting an accessory connection. The darn fuses are so small you have to go and find a live wire when the start button is engenerized. I tried to find the radio wire at the fuse box but too many to isolate. I ended up trying four different wires before finding a hot wire. I installed a radio fuse in the power source.

I can activate the back up camera anytime and it automatically comes on when gear is in reverse.

One mistake, I got the ABS license frame-camera, and it is slightly warped already.

My total cost less than $600.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    However, I'm going to take a second look at the Buicks.

By all means, but make sure you look at the Consumer Reports review of the Lucerne (in the current issue). They didn't have much good to say about it.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Test drove the Lucerne--plenty of power w/Northstar V8--at the expense of lost MPG--V6 is 3.8 Liter and no match for the Avalon in performance or economy. Car is roomy, comfortable and nice looking--build quality looks good--attention to details is evident--still--its a 1st year model and that scared me away.
    Bob
    The new Avalon has certainly had 'un-Toyota-like' teething problems - as it was likely to. Keep in mind, however, that the 05 Avalon a truly new car - drivetrain, body etc.. As you would expect for GM products (because they really don't have the money to do anything else), things like the Northstar V8, the 3.8 V6, the asscoiated 4 spd trannies, and basic body structure have been around for years and years, one reason why cars like the Lucerne and most other "Detroit" vehicles are technologically and dynamically inferior. The 05 Avalons specifically - would actually be surprised if it proves out to be as reliable as some of the 'been around for 20 years' Buicks - but it sure will be worth a whole lot more at trade-in time and IMPO a whole lot nicer ride!
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    I've noticed on the first and second oil/filter changes on my '05 Avalon that six quarts of oil fills to the full mark and not the 6.4 listed in the owner's manual. I watched it being drained. Maybe the 5 quart Mobile 1 jug has a little extra.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    I've noticed the same thing on mine. 6 qts. Maybe Castrol has a little extra in each qt. :D
    Tedj
  • xxagonxxagon Member Posts: 6
    Nice Pictures Neil.
    I tried to find a link to the equipment you are using but I had no luck on finding the camera.
    Can you provide some help in getting the details.
    Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Since the Lucerne is FWD I would assume that the NorthStar is automatically derated in torque production capability in the lower gears as was the Cadillac before going back to RWD.
    Thanks for everyone's help on the cell phone charger. I took my car in and nothing was wrong with it. It was the charger cord that was bad. Still don't understand why it worked in our van, but I bought a new phone charger cord and it works in my car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Glad you got it working!
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Anyone know why some Avalons have the Bridgestone tires
    and some have the Michelins? I think it may be a region
    thing but not sure.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Many cars have several OEM tires. The car manufacturer doesn't want all their eggs in one basket in case there is a supply or cost issue, so they split the business between suppliers.
  • endovitendovit Member Posts: 31
    Last Saturday I decided a swim was in my immediate future. The wife and I drove up to the pool in my 2006 Avalon LTD. As I aways do, I put the key fob in my pocket before leaving. Yep you guessed it. Forgot about the key fob and it went swimming with me. Either I'm real lucky or the darned thing is waterproof. I remembered that it was in my pocket as I was walking in the pool - took it out and held it up real quick. I had parked where I could see the car from the pool and hit the button to start the car. It started right up.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    If it was kept in the water longer, it probably wouldn't have started.

But glad it did! :D
  • jaws37jaws37 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me how to disengage the pinging seat belt alarm on the 2006 Avalon?

Thanks,

jaws37
  • jayareyouingjayareyouing Member Posts: 7
    This worked on my 2005 Ltd:

Make sure that ODO is set to ODO setting not the a or b setting before you begin. Also be sure the seatbelt on the drivers side is NOT buckled. No foot on brake. Press START button 2 times and immediately press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds. Keep holding the reset button and fasten the seat belt. The ODO display with show on or off. Press reset button to cycle until you see off. Hit the Start button again. Now when you start the warning chime should be off. I think there are actually 2 warning chimes. One that goes for about 5 seconds and the other is a much longer term warning. This is the one that is shut off.
  • jaws37jaws37 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip. It seems to work. My Avalon doesn't have a start button, but turning the key seemed to have the same effect.

Thank you,

jaws37
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Wow. Well, then my wife and I must have one of the good ones, and we'll keep it!

Rotated the tires at 10,500 miles and found no appreciable wear on the brake pads or rotors, was pleased to find it has 4-wheel discs, should be easy to replace the pads and rotors someday. Love it when there's one more thing I can do myself, that's why I finally sold our Mercedes. Couldn't take those $300. dealership oil changes a.k.a "Scheduled Maintenance A-Services" anymore.

No problems in 11,000 miles and 13 months we've owned our Avalon, we're happy as can be! Also no manufacturing-related problems with my 1993 Toyota pickup, which will turn over 229,000 miles on the way to NJ later this morning. Even at its age and mileage, it's without question that I take it on a 500 mile trip - of course, I do check the oil and other vitals before heading out.

- P.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Could you explain this again please, because I tried following your instructions but didn't see the "on/off" display you refer to: where is that? Is the
    "reset" button the one that we push to switch from ODO to Trip A to Trip B? If so, when I hold it down for 10 seconds or more while the ODO setting is displayed, nothing happens: there was no "on" or "off" display. (And so the seat belt chime continues to sound for a long time.)
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2005 Avalon XL. I purchased it in Feb.2005 and occasionally it is hard starting. By that I mean turning the key it just cranks and doesn't start. If I turn the key off and retry, it works. This happens a couple of time a month. The dealer cannot duplicate this problem when I leave it there for check-up. Anyone else ever experienced this symptom???
  • yammiyammi Member Posts: 3
    I deactivated the alarm using the following instructions...it works.

1) Turn the Car On, Do not start the engine (Leave you foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until you it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.

2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened

3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.

3) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.
  • caribeavaloncaribeavalon Member Posts: 1
    I have 3 weeks with my Avalon, I decided on the '06 limited because it has a lot of features normally found in more expensive vehicles, particularly for the driver's seat extension (I'm 6.0 and weight 224)and ventilated feature. Everything was ok until my first long trip.

The seam on the bottom of my seat becomes so hard as if you were siting on top of a rope.. beyond that I also began to notice a piece of metal (perhaps the edge of fan's metal casing)very uncomfortable. I haven't contacted the dealer yet. The short term fix is a seat pad, but it's a shame to put a pad in a car so elegant like this one.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Am currently shopping for a LTD for the seat feature,this
    seems to be cropping up more and more lately.I wonder if it
    makes a difference how the tilt of the seat is adjusted.
    Assuming all the LTD seats are made the same you would think more people would find them uncomfortable.I was at a
    dealer recently and looked under a XLS and a LTD seat but
    could not see much.Maybe some fans are mounted lower or higher than others.
    For 14 months of ownership my seat has been very comfortable.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Got it - thanks.
    I have another "programming" question for anyone who may know the answer to this: when programming a new seat/mirror position onto the keyfob, what is the difference between the first set of instructions on page 62 of the Owner's Manual (which says: push the seat button #1 or #2 on the door and the lock or unlock button on the keyfob at the same time), versus the second set of instructions for "resetting" the fob's programmed driving position (which says to push the "set" button on the door and the lock or unlock button on the fob at the same time)? When or why would it ever be necessary to use the second set of instructions (for resetting), if following the first instructions will automatically cancel and override any previous seat position that had been programmed into the keyfob? Is this just a redundancy (two ways of accomplishing the same thing), or am I misunderstanding those instructions?
    Try it and see. On my '05 IIRC I had to do page 62 before the key would change when I did page 61. Page 61 did not erase the previous setting, page 62 did. Strange.
  • criv1criv1 Member Posts: 1
    Does it happen with the other keys too? My Dad's did the same thing. The extra key and valet key wouldn't start the car at all. They ended up recoding/resetting all the keys.
    worked like a charm! Now no noise just flashing seatbelt sign. thanks
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Worked for me too, thanks