Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    Do you have the Bridgestone or the Michelin? I have the Bridgestones on my XLS and really wish I had the Michelin. Don't remember the exact model of the Michelins on my '03 Av, but they were definately quieter. Maybe the lower profile tires (due to 17" rather than 16" Rims) has to do with more tire noise.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• blutoyblutoy Member Posts: 10
    New here and own a 06 black XL. Other than a little problem with the steering pulling to the right, which seemed to quit when I replaced the rims with some custom chromes and a set of Michelins and is it just me or dose the paint seem a little thin? My biggest problem right now is how to turn off the maint requr light. Love the car...
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    The day I bought my Avalon I was disappointed in the road noise. It had the Bridgestone EL400s.
    I drove a new Buick Lucerne, also with the EL400's and interestingly it was much quieter than the Avalon.
    With less than 30 miles on them, I asked the dealer to switch me to the Michelins but they refused.
    I called Toyota Customer Service and they blew me off too.
    I went to a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer who were very helpful and they gave me a full credit on the EL400s towards a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's.
    The LS-V is a VERY quiet riding tire but is only available in 17" sizes of 225/55R17 or 225/50R17, no 215's.
    I installed the 225/55R17 and the Avalon was much quieter but the larger tire diameter does not fit in the spare wheel well
    so you would have to keep one EL400 as the spare. My Avalon always rode very hard and had non-tire related quivers, and the LS-V's did not improve that.
    I am convinced that my particular car had a problem with the suspension or shocks.
    Anyway, my point is that you could switch out your EL400's for Turanza LS-V's for a fairly low cost. Bridgestone are very accommodating.

I recently put GoodYear Assurance ComforTreds on my Altima 3.5SL. Discount Tire traded the OEM Crapinentals which were impossible to balance.
    I cannot say enough good things about the ComforTreds. They are extremely quiet and smooth running.
    My Altima now runs as quietly and smoothly as my sadly missed old 2002 Avalon - and that is a compliment. (Why oh why did I trade the '02 for the '05 :cry: )
    The Comfortred is also available in a 225/55R17 so this may be an option for you if you are willing to go down to an H rated tire.
    Discount Tires were very helpful, and trading the old tires considerably reduced the cost of getting into the ComforTreds.
    Tires really can make a big difference.
  • manav82manav82 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone else noticed a scraping sound when accelerating.

It happens most when coasting at 35-50 mph, and then accelerating sharply.

It is a short (1sec) scraping sound from up front. Toyota dealer has had the car for a week. They replaced the front exhaust pipe, dut to it seperating, but this did not solve the problem.

Now I am being told that "after test driving a few other new Avalon’s, the shop foreman says it’s normal to like models."

Thanks,
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    tic: The Michelins on our 06 Limited are great and quiet. Agree about Bridgestones--had some on wife's Grand Cherokee Limited and besides being very noisy---they were CRAP--only got 26,000 depite rotating and balancing every 5,000 miles and having the front end aligned yearly. Put on Michelions and what a difference. i told my salesman when I bought our Avalon, that I would not take it if if came with Bridgestones--they'd have to change them to Michelins. I believe we have Michelin Pilots if I'm not mistaken. I'd go look, but car is at the dealer getting the 3M Protective Shield installed--tired of all the rock chips and pits!
    Bob
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    My dealer forgot to reset the maintenance light.It was reset by turning on the dash lights, then pushing the odomer pin until it shows ODO. Turn off the dash lights. Hold the ODO pin about four seconds. Start the car. This worked for me.

My avalon has Michelin tires and the road noise is real bad and annoying on certain pavements. On groved concrete. I gret my teeth and wait for diferent roadway. I think the road noise is built in and deeper tire thread might help, but this is one more small annoying item.

With GM and FORD trying to get better cars with better gas mileage we can expect Toyota to listen or else. Because of my same car problems that everyone is commenting about, I bought my wife a Nisson. I was close to buying a Camry and heard about transmission issues and I since we one avalon, I didn't need two transmission issues. This isn't much of a way telling toyota we am not happy but is one small start. ange3
    Yes...Thanks, It worked for me.
    Good luck with your Nissan. I replaced my cursed '05 Avalon early last year with an Altima 3.5SL and it has been faultless. It is very well built, has no rattles, doesn't sound like a diesel and has a real transmission that does what it is told. A nice surprise is that it gets 2.5 mpg more than the Avalon under the same driving conditions, and the Nissan dealers don't have the same snarky attitude as Toyota.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    Amen to the attitude, it seems to prevail through the entire company as in, don't you know this is a Toyota, it sells itself. My 99 Camry was an excellent car, my 06 Avalon Limited,so far has been great but the snotty attitude from corporate & the car stores is ticking me off. The 07 Altima is a slick looking car, maybe I'll take it for a drive. As you know number two has to try harder as in Avis & Hertz. All of you who are complaining on this blog, try sending the complaints listed to corporate and the car store manager as do I, they might start listening.
  • annatwtgannatwtg Member Posts: 1
    I have read the suggestion for disarming the alarm by using the odometer button but I cannot get it to work for me. My 2006 Avalon Limited has the push button start. Seems like it wouldn't make any difference. What could I be doing wrong? Has anyone used another method?
    I never thought of going to a Firestone dealer and exchanging them. Right now I have 8900 miles and am just going to stay with them. I had Bridgestones on my '00 Solara and don't remember them being noisy, although that was a while ago now. I lease my cars (36 months) and haven't had to put tires on a car in a really long time. I just hope that I get at least 32K out of them. I would not be happy if I had to put tires in the last year of my lease.

Late one night on a smooth highway between Tyler and Athens Texas a 92 Chevy Impala which I believe comes stock with a 427 came slowly up beside me as if to pass. Traveling at 70 mph. the Chevy got on full throttle and with a 5 second delay I came up beside him and let off a bit for as not to pass him and we flew in formation until we reached 160 mph. when he backed it down. So I poured the rice to her and believed I must of hit 170. I run 50 psi in my tires which is normal for this tire which is made for countries that run over 100 mph on a regular bases. Please, you don't have to tell me, I know ... True Story
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Perhaps you are dreaming in metric.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    the Avalon is electronically limited to 138 - true story - has to do with TV lawyers and tire speed ratings. I very seriously doubt the Avalon would hit 170 even if this wasn't the case not to mention that Chevy which would have be airborn well before those kind of speeds.
    ...and the reason why we have all these overprotective electronic nannies is to protect people like blutoy from themselves.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Interesting, but: In several posts on this board when the current generation Avalon came out, the theoretical top speed was calculated at about 141-144 mph (using both the applied torque method and the Cd formula independently). Another member also posted that the Avalon has a built-in speed limiter set to about 130 mph so theoretical top speed is really meaningless except as discussion.

Using 50 psi cold in Avalon tires for daily driving is a dangerous idea. The ride is poor and loss of control is possible in certain situations not to mention sudden tire failure.

Enjoy your Avy...... good cars... :)
    Call me crazy here.... but this "race" the guys speaks of is pure fiction. There was no Impala in 92, let alone anything with a 427! Even if he was talking about a Caprice, the 427 would be a tight fit.

:blush:;)
    but this would not be the only reason would it? AFAIC, folks that do things like blutoy and get into 'power shows' out on public roads, need to have that electronic nannie do something for them quick and painlessly! The Avalon may be many things, but one thing it is not - is even a 120mph cruiser. If you really want that, move to Germany where the roads and many of the cars are designed for such things.
    Your a wise old captain. I knew you would catch on when I said I did 170mph. Sorry just stirring the pot, but I did get up to 85 mph. one time. I thought the paint would come off.
    'thought the paint would come off' - sounds like you need an alignment. It is a difficult car to keep below 85, it gets there so quickly and easily. Have pushed it into 3 digits maybe twice in 2 years, and at 110 it is still pulling and solid as a rock. 138 though, never.
    Did I say wise.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I installed a backup camera[license plate frame located] and installed a electronic box in the trunk to bypas the navigation operation and display the backup camera picture, during driving in reverse. It has 135 degrees view. Adjusting the focus and color was a little tough. Has good picture at night.
    This navigation change has not interferred with the unit. I still contend the navigation directions at given areas is way off.

ange
  • avalonmikeavalonmike Member Posts: 8
    Our steering column was due in on February 5th but it has been postponed another full month. The noise had worsened considerably so the dealership has provided a rental (07 Avalon)at Toyota's expense. Although not particularly happy about it we do feel we have a great dealership here in [non-permissible content removed] Rapids, MN and they have been superb in addressing our service needs. 3 months for a part is a major issue and in all the vehicles I have owned this is a first for me.

Michael
    I do not have the navigation, I had heard it had problems prior to my purchase. Two questions, the layout of the license plate concerned me. There is not much protection for the camera and I was going to add bumper pads to protect it as most of my parking is on the town street when shopping. This box does what, overides only the nav, how does it allow the pictures to be displayed as most units have their own screen and are sent wireless. BJ's had a unit for around $100, which was actually cheap compared to other sources. Any info you can add would be appreciated.
  • tex44tex44 Member Posts: 1
    I have been warned by several people that Toyota is discontinuing the Avalon after the 2007 model. I want to nail this down as to whether true or not. Don't want to buy the last year of a model. Anyone have real info on this?
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    I have an 06 Avalon with transmission hesitation and other isues. I haven't heard anything about discontinuing after 07. I think it presently is so inundated with problem's, that would be the simplest thing for Toyota to do. Incidentally, I have turned my problem over to a lawyer since Toyota has been so pious and can care less.Also I have a 1994 Toyota truck that has been a jewel...soooo, you can see I'm not just a complainer,the issues I presented to Toyota are real and dangerous, Toyota knows it and so do hundreds of owners. Come on folk's get the complaints rolling in the right direction.

Cj
    I guess my question would be replace it with what? The Avalon an established name that sells well and certainly contributes to Toyota's bottom line. From the FWIW dept., my early 05 now has 44k on it, runs wonderfully, and I would buy another one in a NY minute - despite the protestions of some of the posters here.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    . . . and I can say the same about my '06.
    Would make no sense to drop the Av. It's a money maker that now shares many of its parts with other vehicles in the lineup. My '06 has been perfect in the 11 months I have had it, and although not as quiet as my '03, its better in every other way.

• gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    I own a 2005 Avalon XLS that is going to a family member. I have bought a 2007 XLS to replace it. In my experience, the Avalon is unrivalled at anywhere near the same price.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If it were to actually happen I would expect to see a Toyota version of the RWD or AWD GS300. That would be a GOOD choice.

An Avalon chasis and body style with a GS300 drivetrain.

Consolidation of cost/effort.
    I keep hearing about tranny hesitation. I've owned cars since I was 14, I've owned a lot of cars, different vehicles and trannies operate differently, so what do all of the people who are complaining compare their Avalon trannies to and what is the problem. My 06 Limited is not the same as my 99 Camry, BUT they are completely different vehicles and trannies. In my opinion the Avalon is BETTER than the Beemer and C & E class Benz, not as luxurious as the Benz but as comfortable as both and way bigger than the Beemer 3 series, just my opinion and no it is not perfect and their color choices and interior matches suck but in life one must compromise.
    the GS is, of course, much too small. If they stretched things a little then point taken, a Toyota LS350 would be an easy sell given that the new LSs are getting over $70k, a situation that would likely hit Lexus square in the pocketbook.
    Yes, but we can dream about a RWD Avalon. Can't we?

jlsexton: I also have an 06 Limited. I have also experienced the the "quirky" tranny syndrome. It DOES happen--so--I've just accepted that fact and now when approaching a Yield or Stop sign, i slide over the gear shift and manually shift to 1st. Then, once I take-off--and since i started this procedure I've never had any hesitation/lurching from the tranny. Once going, I slide the gear shift back to the auto position. I've been driving almost 50 years and I know when a tranny ain't working right and the Avy tranny ain't working like any other automatic. My previous 2000 F-150, wife's current 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd and our 2001 Vette don't require their automatic transmission to be "manually" shifted in order to prevent hesitation/lurching. I ask that you try this: Find a Yield sign in your area where you can approach the Yield sign, gently apply the brakes, leaving the tranny in "D" and then hoping the coast is clear, press the accelerator as you would normally to proceed on. This also assumes you'll use your right foot for both braking and accelerating. I can "guarantee" you if I went out right now and did the porcedure--my RPM's would shoot up to over 3,000 and then the car would lurch forward. Love the Avalon--but--a car with an MSRP nearing $40K should have an automatic that's automatic! Too many people have complained for it not to be an inherent problem. if you don't have the "quirky" tranny--I'm happy for ya!! I just hope it never raises it's ugly head at the most inoportune time--for safety's sake!
    Bob
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    The problem is with your transmission or the way you put your foot on the accelerator NOT with every Avalon. Mine doesn't do it and I've tried every suggestion on this forum to make it hesitate and it doesn't. Sorry you're having a problem.
    I hope Toyota don't discontinue the Avalon because I may consider the next gen Avalon after 2010, providing that Toyota have demonstrated a track record of solving the very real transmission and build quality issues, and have a track record of a return to their former quality standards.
    Until then, I won't buy any Toyota or Lexus based on the current Avalon/Camry platform or derivatives thereof, which in my opinion have been severely compromised in comparison with their predecessors.
    Once bitten, 10 times shy.
    limiteddriver: Glad you don't have the problem and I hope it never materializes. I won't take a chance and that's why I use the manual mode. I also refuse to contort my foot on the gas pedal and employ a procedure contrary to normal driving habits. There IS a problem with the Avy transmission--too many smoking guns and i'm very happy for those without the problem. Tried it again today----rolling to a Yield sign, foot off gas, braking ever so slightly as i could see no on-coming traffic--stepped on the gas and 3,000 RPM and then the lurch. Tried it my way---manual shift to 1st---slightly brake, foot on gas and off i went--shifted back in to auto mode--no quirky tranny. Somebody asked if there was a lawyer reading these Forums---any lawyers out there? Too many of us are having tranny problems--same with 07 Camry's with the 6 speed's. Toyota has a problem--senior executives know about it and if something isn't done--I'm afraid of reading about a fatal accident due to the quirky transmission. Remember all the 4 cylinder Toyota owners who complained about "sludging" in their 1997 and forward engines--well, now Toyota has a Class Action Suit that probably will cost many millions of dollars. Guess they figure with all the American dollars they've made they can just pay the bill. It will be interesting to see what happens. Good luck with your Avalon!
    Bob
    Interesting comment on the sludge problem. Recently we received an extended warranty notice as beneficiaries of the class action lawsuit. Vehicles covered were our 98 Camry V6, 99 Sienna, 01 Highlander, 02 Sienna and 02 Avalon, none of which we have any more. We never had any sludge problems, but I always did oil changes at 3,000 miles and used Mobil 1 synthetic after hearing about someone who had a sludge problem at very low miles, something like 5,000, and suffered a burned out engine.
    Apparently Toyota said it was owner neglect and wanted $7,000 to install a new or recon engine, I'm not sure. They were still paying their car off for years but it was undriveable.
    I always had my oil changed at a Toyota dealer, so I couldn't be held "liable for not maintaining the vehicle" if I did get the sludge problem.
    This transmission thing does seem to be following a similar track. If some cars have problems and some don't, you would think Toyota would want to get a bad one, take it apart and figure out what is wrong, and fix the problem once and for all.
    Then again, I don't understand these greater minds.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Obvious what you are saying...but.. when you say "step on the gas" then how hard, that is, how much gas are we talking about? Half throttle? One third? A little? Max? And to what speed do you slow? Maybe 10 mph?

The '07 Limited I bought 2 weeks ago has yet to do the hesitation rev-up thing but I want to be ready. Still only 500 miles on the car. So far, so good. Thanks.
    fin: I only press hard enough to get going at a decent speed--no hot rod start. I slow to about 10 mph or there abouts and then as stated above--just take off by moderately stepping on the gas.
    Bob
    alan_s: My understanding is the oil ports in the engine were too small to allow "free" flow of the oil and Toyota was aware of the problem. Much like Ford and the infamous Pinto gas tank issue. Go to www.google.com Type in Maint Schedule for 1997 Toyota 4 Cylinder Engines. Scroll down and you'll find an article regarding "oil gelling" in Toyota engines!! Good reading.
    Bob
    Yes, apparently the diameter of the oil ducts machined in the block and head were intentionally reduced in size so the engines would run hotter in order to meet emission requirements.
    As the oil viscosity increased as it deteriorated there was reduced lubrication and hence the problem. I switched to synthetics based on the theory that if a synthetic takes longer to break down and is more durable in high temperatures, my engines would be less likely to develop the problem, however later a Toyota mechanic told me that they had seen problems emerge even when synthetics were used.
    Luck of the draw I guess.
    We are getting off-topic, so Pat's venerable hammer may shortly descend upon us... :blush:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..the GS is, of course, much too small..."

Are you thinking of the IS by any chance? My 2000 GS300 had a cabin size very close to my 92 LS400.

Speaking of the IS...

I figure the IS300 body, chasis, and drivetrain are good candidates for replacing the Camry and ES when the time comes, hopefully sooner than later.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    bob, are you saying that you go from "d" / Drive to "s" sequential shift while the car is moving? I didn't know you could do that without hurting the tranny... I've used the sequential shift a few times just playing around, but have always put it in "s" while the car was at a dead stop.

Roland
    You can put the car into "S" whenever you want. It defaults to 4th gear.

Bob,

I am not trying to say your car doesn't have a problem, but how do you "step" on the gas while rolling through a yield. Is it a quick "jab" maybe 1/3 way down, or a gentle "roll" of your foot to say 1/3 down? It does make a difference, the accelerator is so sensitive that the computer can get confused quite easily. For example, a quick stab at the pedal followed by an ever so slight reduction in pressure can make the car downshift and rev the engine then immediately cut back the revs. I really think this is what you are feeling. With my Av I had a slight learning curve with the scenario you mention (yield sign) I find the car is most responsive to slow even pressure of the gas pedal, rather than a immediate push to 1/3 or 1/2 open throttle. Of course if I need to merge in a hurry (quite common here in NJ) I just mash it to the floor and get an immediate downshift.

Hey Roland--how ya doing--long time no hear from--ypu've been too quiet!! Yes, I slide the gear shift over into "S" and down shift to "1"--then after I take off and get to 15-20 MPH I just slide the gear shift over to "D"--NEVER a slipping or lurching problem. Try this--next time you come to a stop sign, shift into "S" and down shift to "1st"---take off and just push the lever forward thru 2-3-4-5--once in 5--slide lever over to the "D" mode. Watchout if ya have a "lead foot"--the Avy will fly--so watch the RPM's, be ready to "push" the gear shift forward as you reach higher RPM's and have some fun---it is a ROCKET!! I also use the "S" mode and down shift as I come down the long hill to our subdivision--works great and it's just like using a regular 5 speed without the clutch! I let the engine do some of the "braking" rather than riding the brake pedal for almost a 1/3 of amile. These Ozark hills are steep! Good luck and have fun with the manual shift capability of the tranny--this procedure works GREAT!
    Bob
    tjc78: This 1st time it happened to me, I'd had the car about 2-3 month's and I'd read about the problem in this Forum. I just figured I was lucky. When it happened to me, I'd come down our long hill, looked left--there is a stop sign and since I can clearly see down the hill, if no traffic is coming, I do a "rolling" stop. Well, imagine my surprise when I let my foot off the brake and applied moderate pressure to the gas pedal and all I heard was the engine revving and me still just rolling along. Then all of a sudden it lurched and I mean "SHOT" me forward to about 35 MPH. I called my dealer after running my errand and of course they'd never heard of the problem. Car was a year old 26 Jan 07. I lodged a complaint with both Toyota and the NHTSA. Of course, Toyota knew nothing of the problem and I've never heard from the NHTSA. Like I've said in the Forum--I just manually down shift to 1st and once going slide the gear shift over to D---NEVER a problem. I duplicated the "quirky" tranny yesterday--it does it EVERY TIME I leave it in D and do a rolling stop and then press on the gas--no matter if it's Light, Moderate or Heavy pressure. I'm now conditioned and my procedure works--I love the ride, comfort, quietness, gas mileage and almost everything else--so I just endure the tranny issue.
    Bob