Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    Bob- no I have not had the car realigned and nor have I noticed anything unusual in treadwear or how smoothly the car drives. Looks like I may get about another 10k on the Michelins which have a wear index of 440, don't know that I could reasonably expect them to do much better than that (50k+) on OE tires. Have found the Michelins a generally satisfactory tire, maybe a tad too much road noise - but have also found that tires will generally show me that they are getting worn with noticeable traction losses well before I even see a 'wear' bar. And sure, with the new tires comes a 4 wheel alignment, although I have had these alignment shops (Firestone kind of places) doing more damage than good.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I was under the impression that you get an email when a question was answered or related to your question, obviously not, I was searching and found your reply by accident. The Avalon license plate, because it is mounted in the bumper, probably for styling purposes, does make a camera more vulnerable than a trunk mounted one. As far as the camera, I presume it must be powered via the backup lights as that is its purpose, to present a rearward image and only needs to be on at that time. It should be a simple project. I suppose whomever manufactures it would supply a wiring schematic for your vehicle should you need one. I'm glad to here that yours works fine. Is it a VR3 2.4GHZ. unit and if so where did you mount the display.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    captain2: Sorry about the last Post--try again!! Had a friend who was an engineer at Bear and he told me something that while amazing, doesn't surprise me. When cars roll out of the assembly plant, they roll over a device that shows whether or not the front end is within "acceptable" tolerances---not "true" alignment--but acceptable tolerance!! Anyway, as soon as he gets a new car, he has the front end aligned to meet "exact" manufacturers specifications. Guess if we knew all the "tricks" of the manufactureers--we'd probably quit buying new!
    Thank you so much for your time and information, again I had to go to previous responses to find yours, go figure.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can opt to receive an email anytime a new message is posted in any given discussion. There isn't any way to restrict that feature to email you only when posts are made about something you find of interest, however - it's all or nothing topic by topic. Please see my reply to you here pat, "Toyota Avalon 2005+" #13493, 16 Feb 2007 2:51 pm. Feel free to email with questions.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    After 3 weeks of driving the new Limited, here are some personal opinions. Keep in mind that I owned each of the prior generation Avys ('99XL and '03 XL), putting about 90k trouble free miles on each.

1. The '07 power and overall performance are great. Far better than with either of the other cars. It's faster, corners flatter, appears to get the same fuel mileage and is quieter.

2. The transmission has no hesitation (and no dipstick?) or other real problems but is not as smooth as the '03 four speed. The constant 5 speed gear shifting is a distraction and the overdrive downshift at 40 mph when braking is rough.

3. The seats are smaller than in the '03, more firm and less comfortable, both front and rear. This might have to do with the seat heaters in the front. The trunk is smaller also but seems to work as well.

4. The NAV system is very nice but finds things better from a certain direction. On target within 5 feet from the east or north but 300 feet off from the south or west. Ideas to fix, anyone....?

5. The mpg calculation screen is high by about 0.7 mpg each tank and the "remaining" estimate is far too low. Avg trip speed is nice but as noted by many it restarts by itself. This whole screen needs a makeover.

All things considered, would I buy it again? At this point, Yes. Nothing is perfect and the only other car we really liked was the LS 460 at double the money. More later as the miles accumulate.... :)
    The mpg calculation screen is high by about 0.7 mpg each tank and the "remaining" estimate is far too low
    if you are using one of your odos as a basis for computing your FE, CHECK THEM with some mileage markers - I have found the odos to read about 3% low (100 miles shown = 103 miles actual) making the computer indicated mpg about right. As for the DTE, after 43000 miles, and always getting well over 400 miles on a tank, have only seen that number appear ONCE in approx 100 fillups (generally shows about 380). It is a joke, have gotten over 500 a few times after hwy trips.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I found my camera at Google at sonic electronex back up camera. The model is VTL 100. This is the plastic frame with chrome coating, it matches the trunk emblems. I should have gotten the metal-chrome as mine is bending a little. Costs more.

The camera housing can be rotated up and down and has 130 degrees view. Works well at night time. It blends in with license frame and is barely visible. ange
    Again, thank you...............
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Has anyone had a power steering pump go out? I have an 05 LTD and now at 32k stealer has ordered a PS pump and an oil tube. What is an oil tube?

MikeS.
  • jhavignjhavign Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2007 Avalon Limited and use the Auto headlights. It just makes me nervous that I'll have a dead battery some day from the headlights being on too long. Does anyone know if there is a setting to shorten the time the headlights stay on when you turn the car off.
  • manav82manav82 Member Posts: 16
    I use the auto setting on my 07 Touring and the lights turn off when you press the lock button 2 maybe 3 times.
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    The "On" time is set to 30 seconds from the factory, it can be adjusted by the dealer using the Toyota scan tool from 0 to 60 seconds.
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    On my '07 limited, I noticed that as long as the trunk lid is open, the headlight will stay on beyond the 20 seconds! On another occasion, I turned on the headlight manually and forgot to turn it off. The next morning I noticed the lights were off and no problem with the battery. This car is pretty smart.(pcc49)
  • holyokeholyoke Member Posts: 3
    The oil tube failed on mine with 25K. There is a TSB on this. When these first started failing many dealers originally thought is was PS fluid. It is not.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    I find that the auto headlights don't come on in some situations I want them to, such as very overcast days and rainy days. I understand their sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealer, is that correct?

Seems to me the auto headlights should be interfaced to the wipers --i.e. headlights turn on whenever wipers are on -- since this is now the law in a number of states.
    Okay, I'll bite, what the heck is an oil tube, I don't suppose you mean the tube that houses the tranny dip stick ??????
    engine oil is pumped from the bottom the the engine to the cylinder heads/cams on top. The offending oil tube is simply there to allow for the oil to drain back into the oil pan after doing what it needs to on top of the engine. This tube comes off a cover that also covers the timing chain gears, and apparently was poorly designed as it can leak a small amount of oil and also appear to be coming from the PS pump which is directly below it. It took my dealer 5 tries to figure this out with a little help from that 12-23-05 TSB.
    Thank you, I have a computer file on all these little (?) problems and solutions, I believe there is a TSB on this ????, I will be bringing my car in for the FIRST oil change and will mention this but mine is an 06 and might not have this problem.
    my car an early '05, would have thought that they revised the offending assembly before the 06s - if you had the problem you should know it, the car should leave an oil spot behind when parked, and on the lower A arm to the right front wheel should be coated with oil. My leak incidentally didn't show up until about 15k and did not effect drivability of the car while I waited for parts.
    As I said, I only have a little over 3000 miles & will be getting my first oil change. Toyota says 5000 or 6 months, I am at the 3000 & 6 months.
    at 6000 miles/year you sure will have a car that will be worth a lot down the road! I'm on my 12th oil change (do it myself) over 43000 miles in 22 months. Use nothing but synthetic. The TSB repair worked fine (and yes the dealer replaced my PS pump which I don't think needed to be replaced) - the car has not been back in the shop since for any reason, since my dealer and I experienced those 'teething' problems. Been a great car - so far!
    I have a card for 5 free oil changes, perhaps more as I purchased some accessories and they add that on. I do not know if I have a canister filter, I hope not as they are a pain, my wife's Mazda has one. I usually do my own but free is free. I will purchase another vehicle as soon as this is paid off, I liked Toyota's up to now but their corporate is not customer friendly as in been there, done that. Their arrogance will destroy them as in Ford, GM & Chrysler. Hyundi is on their heels, the Azera is a nice vehicle and a lot cheaper. Mercedes is not rated well by Comsumer Reports but worth a look, 2010 will come fast as we all know.
    all 2GRs have the cartridge type filter - I have personally found it a lot neater (although slightly more difficult) than changing the traditional can filter on my wife's Nissan 3.5, for example. Make sure that your dealer even knows that the Avalon takes over 6 quarts of oil - believe it or not, he may not.
    Have heard a number of folks talk about Toyota's 'arrogance' and a point well taken, but also a problem shared by anybody selling high demand vehicles - like Honda, for example. Ford/GM/DC/Hyundai can't afford to be like that, the only way they can sell their cars is with ludricrous discounts up front that you do pay for at trade-in time.
    Today they are no. 1, tomorrow or rather 2010, who knows. I do not see any advantage to a canister filter except to emulate Mercedes Benz, if anyone can point it out please do. I will make an under the hood label to make sure they know although this dealer is pretty good in the service dept. You have to be a west coaster according to your time, I'm in NY, chilly at 37 degrees but not bad for February.
    I think that the sensor for ambient light conditions is behind the center stereo speaker close to the base of the windshield. By simply putting something like a piece if paper on the dash in this area you can therefore 'trick' the system into thinking that it is darker than it is keeping the lights on -and also keep those instances when the dash seemingly changes illumination levels by itself to a minimum.
    the primary advantage is ecological, meaning less material (in this case metal) to throw away. Also, keeping in mind that our engines were developed from the 4 liter truck engine, the filter itself is less prone to damage from kicked up rocks etc.
    Down here in Texas, BTW, 73 degrees and not a cloud :D
    Been to El Paso 4 times in February and April, rained almost every morning for a short time, cleaned up the air nicely. I got this early today from a friend in Montana.Used to be a New Yorker.

>>>> Winter Temperatures
    >>>>
    >>>> 60 above zero:
    >>>> Austinites turn on the heat.
    >>>> People in upstate New York plant gardens.
    >>>>
    >>>> 50 above zero:
    >>>> Californians shiver uncontrollably.
    >>>> People in New York sunbathe.
    >>>>
    >>>> 40 above zero:
    >>>> Italian & English cars won't start.
    >>>> People in New York drive with the windows down.
    >>>>
    >>>> 32 above zero:
    >>>> Distilled water freezes.
    >>>> The water in upstate New York gets thicker.
    >>>>
    >>>> 20 above zero:
    >>>> Austinites don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
    >>>> Upstaters throw on a flannel shirt.
    >>>>
    >>>> 15 above zero:
    >>>> New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
    >>>> Upstaters have the last cookout before it gets cold.
    >>>>
    >>>> Zero:
    >>>> People in Miami all die.
    >>>> Upstaters close the windows.
    >>>>
    >>>> 10 below zero:
    >>>> Californians fly away to Mexico.
    >>>> Upstaters get out their winter coats.
    >>>>
    >>>> 25 below zero:
    >>>> Hollywood disintegrates.
    >>>> The Girl Scouts in Buffalo are selling cookies door to door.
    >>>>
    >>>> 40 below zero:
    >>>> Washington DC runs out of hot air.
    >>>> Niagra Falls issues bulleting that we should allow dogs to sleep
    >>>> indoors.
    >>>>
    >>>> 100 below zero:
    >>>> Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
    >>>> Upstaters get upset because they can't start the Mini-Van.
    >>>>
    >>>> 460 below zero:
    >>>> ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.)
    >>>> On the Canadian border folks start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"
    >>>>
    >>>> 500 below zero:
    >>>> Hell freezes over.
    >>>> Oswego County public schools will open 2 hours late.
  • b1gatorb1gator Member Posts: 12
    I just got mine replaced last week after having in about a month ago when they said the part had come in (it was for a Camry). Now that it is fixed it's so much smoother and quieter. I hope yours comes in soon! Good Luck. :)
    It has been 10 days and my stealer tells me that the oil tube is still on back order. They have the PS pump and a gasket and timing belt waiting for me. They also have 2 other oil tubes on order for other customers.

My oil leak didn't manifest until right after an oil change at 31k. At 1st I thought the problem was the oil cannister leaking. Took it back to the private shop that does my oil changes and they looked at it. The cannister was dry but there was oil on the A arm and the PS pump.

Now I'm just starting to notice the rotten egg smell that was talked about 2 years ago when this car came out. I'm gonna go back and search the early threads and refresh my memory about this issue.
    Well my research here says it is a cat converter issue. There is TSB #EG039 open on the issue. I guess I'll be having that discussion with them next week.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Join the club of waiting on the oil leak parts! I've been waiting since January 10th!! I've called Toyota corp. 3 times, and I call my dealer several times a week. I am not getting any answers. Toyota e-mailed me a survey to fill out after I talked to them, and I gave them the lowest possible scores. Maybe that will help. The number I called was 1800 331 4331. Maybe if we all call Toyota Corp and bug them about not supplying their dealers, they will start making the parts available. Mine started leaking at about 14,000 miles. Now, I am waiting for the rotten egg smell - so far- none. Thanks for the TSB number on that. I'll be ready for it now.
    Ah, come on, It's only been almost 2 months and they are so busy selling cars and advertising how great their new Camry is, give them a break. Seriously though, as I've stated many times previously, No. 1 breeds arrogance, pride before the fall. If it really bothers you go to a lawyer pay a small fee and have a letter sent on his or her stationary to the OWNER of the car store. State you complaint and you might mention a small claims court suit. As far as corporate, forget it, they have become too Americanized. If someone knows the Japanese corporate information please post it. GOOD LUCK, I've had none..............
    since your Avalon has no timing belt. it may be a long wait and from personal experience in this matter, you may not need the new PS pump.
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Mr. Yuki Funo, Chairman & CEO
    Toyota Motor North America
    19001 South Western Ave., PO Box 2991
    TORRANCE CA 90509-2991

Katsuaki Watanabe, President
    Mitsuo Kinoshita, Executive Vice President
    Toyota Motor Corporation
    1 Toyota Cho Toyota City
    Aichi Prefecture 471-8571
    JAPAN M0 00000
    81-565-28-2121
    Thank you, perhaps they "might" listen and to all, send a nice letter to both explaining you problems and lack of service............
  • mariodmariod Member Posts: 28
    What part was changed?
    I need HELP. What was the fix??? I have a 2005 Avalon with the same noise or clunk in the steering.
    Thanks
  • smuooksmuook Member Posts: 35
    A small group of Avalon owners are talking with a distributor/manufacturer about a front end kit. Here's what we are considering:

This is a genuine request and would like your input. We are looking for honest feedback. If interested, you can read more and submit input here:

http://www.avalonfaq.com/modules/formulaire/index.php?id=2
  • smuooksmuook Member Posts: 35
    Sorry... wrong year. I'll see if I can find a TSB for 2005
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    If it's a tapping noise felt at low speeds, try

TSB #00206 -- STEERING COLUMN NOISE. *TT (NHTSA ID #10019669, MARCH 14 2006).

In my 2005 XLS, this noise was fixed last July by replacing the steering column.

Unfortunately the same type of noise has returned in the past weeks.
  • geoshillgeoshill Member Posts: 27
    I haven't looked at the Forum lately but I'm glad I did yesterday. I found the recommendation to drive in the S5 mode. It works great for me. No quirky shifting episodes.
    My 2005 Avalon is having the same problem... At low speeds my steering makes a knocking sound. It's kind of strange.

I agree with the TSB # 00206, Is there anywhere on the web to view the whole TSB? I found others but i cant seem to find this one.

hopefully Toyota will fix yours again! Good luck. I'm going next Monday to get mine fixed.
    Hello geoshill,

great to hear that driving in S5 mode works well for you too.

Regards,

havalong
    mariod,

I don't doubt that Toyota will fix mine again, but the part seems hard to get. It's been back-ordered from the factory for a few weeks now. I'd make sure the part is in for you, before you go on Monday. Good luck, and let me know.

havalong
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 2006 Avy and it has always had hesitation in transmission plus it jerks through turns and sometimes during straight and level at constant speeds the engine revs up with no forward motion response. This all happens whether in S5 or Auto.. My lwawsuit is progressing on, keep up the complaints when legit.If it was made to drive in auto...then why not?

Cj
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Cj: Good luck---I sold my 06 Limited--tired of the tranny crap--if its an automatic--then be an automatic! I just hope Toyota fixes what is obviously a problem. We had so many "fixes" mentioned in the Forum--toe this way on the gas pedal--foot over here on the gas pedal--leave in S5--count to 3 an pray--heard it all. I know my way worked for me--put it in S1 just before I stopped or slwoed down and then once going slide it back to auto mode--NEVER a problem with hesitation. i submitted a compliant to both Toyota--TALK TO THE WALL and to the NHTSA--never heard anything from them either. Guess it will take a serious accident to get somebody's attention.
    Bob
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    Can anyone provide details as to changes in standard equipment and available options between the 05, 06 and 07 Limited models? I am considering purchasing my first Avalon and any information and comments would be appreciated. This is my first time on this forum so hopefully I have posted in the right place. Thank you.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    While there are some differences in standard and optional equipment, the biggest thing to remember is that 2005 was a first year model. Most in the forum agree that you should avoid the first year of any car. After that things will only get better.

Avalons are great cars and you would be hard pressed to go wrong buying one. Just check it out and have a mechanic do the same if it's a used car. And someone here has answers to your question about option changes. The '07 added standard Tire Pressure Monitors as mine has them. Good luck and enjoy the forum..... :)