Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Cj--sold my 06 Limited--TIRED of the "quirky" tranny that I've been told there was nothing wrong with. Until I sold it, I just manually shifted to 1st and once rolling slid the gear shift to auto--NEVER did it slip or hesitate when operated this way. Also, I was told to change the way i put my foot on the accelerator. Naw--I want an automatic to be automatic. Loved the Avy except for the tranny issue.
    Bob
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Been some time since you Case # for your transmission problem...have you had any results yet?

Cj
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    Would everyone who had or believes they had a transmission problem with their 06 Avalon please write and explain their EXACT problem or quirk.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Cj--there's NOTHING wrong with the tranny--cannot dupl;icte--works great--the normal BS answers. I know this, if I didn't manually downshift to 1st--take off and then slide the gear shift to the auto mode, it would rev to 3,000 + RPMs, catch and then set ya off like a rocket. Toyota DOES HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEm witrh their 05-07 Avalon tranny and one day we'll read about a serious accident or death attributed to that fact. I've driven for over 50 years and NEVER experienced anything like the quiry tranny. I'm happy for those Avy owners w/o a problem and sympathize for those who do. I bought the Avy based upon reliability and reputation---Mmmmmmmmmmmmm? Those with a problem--try this--before you come to a complete stop--slide the gear shift to the manual mode 1st gear--take off and then once going slide the gear shift to thew auto mode---worth a try--ALWAYS worked for me--NEVER had any quiry tranny issues with this method!
    Bob
    Bob
    As I've often stated Toyota is now arrogant, just as the American Car Companies were prior to their fall. I've sent these posts to Toyota Cares and you know what, they don't. First an un-welded steering column, now a dangerous tranny. Perhaps a letter to your newspaper might get their attention, or at least warn others about the dealer. Sorry for your problems, it worries me that mine might go some day.
  • arrossiarrossi Member Posts: 3
    Great question and responses have me rethinking the Av. i have 3 dealers (close by ) offering to sell my an Av for $100 over invoice and will order one or ship in from other dealers . All 3+ internet salesmen deny a trans. problem. Thinking of timing an order for an early 08,get what i want , no laser cruise, and hopefully they'll solve the trans. problem. Is it mechanical or electronic?
    Do you expect a price increase for 08 model year?

Thanks, AR
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's where you need to look for what folks are experiencing: Toyota Avalon 2005+ Transmission Questions.
    I would assume as ususal the price will go up $300 or $400. The net is great for using as bargaining power BUT I prefer to purchase from a local dealer unless I know he is a crook. Here's a thought, order a car, make sure as I always do that the down payment is refundable and make it a small one. DRIVE the car prior to signing the final papers, not around the corner but on the highway,I did, Steve my sales manager knows me and said no problem. Loved the car but never used the remote start (stupid). Small but expensive mistake and we learn from them. Still love the car.
    If the percentage is real low of Avalons that have transmission heitation, why doesen't Toyota repair them and if theres only a FEW that have problems, engineers should be able to recognize the problem by studying one or two of the faulty ones....why continue to treat those with bonafide problems like idiots?

Cj
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    the answer to this one, I think is very simple - Toyota doesn't think they have a problem and would therefore tell you that the tranny is working the way it is supposed to despite a number of owners that find the behavior troublesome.
    We have left the era of a car doing what you want it to, and entered an era of primarily the opposite. Isn't technology wonderful? It is a condition of the breed and is NOT limited to just Toyota products.
  • vicmvicm Member Posts: 18
    Had my windshield cracked today by a rock. Its a 05 Avy Ltd.
    Has anyone had their windshield replaced with the auto dimming mirror, auto windshield wipers etc?. Insurance company will replace with OEM or after market. After market can be replaced in two days. OEM takes at least a 3-5 days for order then a few more for install. Any suggestions, advice?
    Your best bet is to use a specialty shop, most insurance companies will assist you in finding one. I am speaking as an old Auto Damage Appraiser, specialty shop's do a better job...reason... that's all they do, so they're more proficient. They will use as good as OEM or better in most cases.

Good luck,
    Cj

PS: If you're with GEICO, and there may be other ins, companies that charge no deductible for a repair, if it is a small crack that can be repaired. I have seen small cracks that were repaired perfectly.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I had a long crack in my '06 LTD windshield. Insurance Co. said that becuase the car was so new, they would authorize an OEM windshield. So I took it to the ins-recommended glass shop, they ordered a windshield from Toyota and then put it in. It worked great. They told me the cost for OEM windshield was about 4 times what an after-market windshield cost.
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    vicm,
    I also have a '05 Limited. May of last year I started on a trip to Alaska. The books said a great danger of cracks in windshield. Before I got out of Texas I got a crack. It grew on the trip until it was over half way the screen, sort of like a drunken earth worm.
    When I got back, called the insur. co. They would pay for oem anything above my deductible. OEM was to be $1200.00 by Toyota dealer.
    I got it replaced by a specialty shop for a total of $350.00. It does have the auto windshield wipers as well as the auto dimmer.
    It took him a week to get the replacement, and one work day for the job.
    I can't tell the difference except the new one doesn't have the inlaid 'Toyota' label.
    John D
    Thanks guys for the info. I will have the specialty shop do the replacement.
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    vicm,
    You may want to check this.
    There is something about the Avy Limited windshield that says it is 'sound suppressor' or so. That is why it took the guy a week to get mine. Otherwise he had it in stock.
    Luck to you.
    John D
    Thanks for the reply. I did check with the specialty shop and they called the glass "premium glass" which has the sound suppressor feature.. Hopefully, they are correct.
    after 50,000 generally satisfactory miles on my 05 Av had the occasion to replace my OEM Michelins with a new tire by Toyo called the Versado. Billed as a 'luxury touring' tire designed specifically for luxury cars - they have been a revelation on my Touring - road noise/whine has all but disappeared. Don't hardly hear or feel Botts dots anymore. At this point, highly recommended. Size I used BTW, 235/50/17 on the stock 17x7 wheels, 'V' rated, 400 wear index, 40k warranty - cost for the set $700.00
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    For anyone reading the above post, note that *captain2* has carefully selected a tire size that produces no meaningful change either in the speedometer readout or the ride height of the car.

After a little usage, cap'n, how about an update on the steering feel, cornering, braking, overall comfort, etc. The Touring Avalon ride is a little different from the others anyway but your opinions might be helpful to anyone looking to change Avalon tire size ...... Thanks. :)
    yep, the Avalon Touring ride is definitely 'tighter'/'sportier' and a bit noisier than the other trims. Always felt that the XL with the 16" 60 series tires had the quietest ride of all although I am not a fan of the particular Bridgestones used. The Michelins which wore very well on my Touring were not some much worn out (they still were inspectable) as getting that way - meaning that as tires age wet traction etc. tends to worsen even though there may be measurable tread depth. New tires will almost always be quieter and smoother than 50k old ones, although the difference with the Versados was night and day - quite impressive. Won't know anything for sure for several months yet, naturally - but put these tires on the softer models and I believe you won't know that they are even there.

Your other point about tire sizing - have long been a proponent of keeping overall tire/wheel diameters and weights about equal to mfgr. designs and even got into a bit of an argument with the local Toyo distributor who thought 225/50 was correct. I guess his math a little suspect and I picked up about 3/4" of rubber on the road.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Interesting update, captain2. The Michelins in my 05 XLS with 44k km (28k miles) are wearing down fast from frequent stop & go on steep semirural roads and Vancouver streets, so I'll need new tires for this winter. Do you know how the Versados perform in rain, snow and ice?
    havalong - long time no talk! Hope everyhting is well? The Versados are definitely an 'all-season' type tread design - and they seemed rock solid in some torrential rains and street flooding that just passed thru. Won't be able to tell you about any frozen stuff though, down here in Texas that would be a once in a lifetime thing.
    Besides, I didn't think that it ever did anything but rain in Vancouver, the way it was last time I was up there in March one year, a couple of 1 mile drop ski 'hills' about 90 miles away if I recall correctly and the best skiing in the world IMO when the snow's good. Beautiful drive as well.
    Got an interesting call from Toyota tonight - offering me an extended warranty on my 2 year old 50k mile Av - to which I responded - why would I want to do that? Still going strong, giving me a bunch of those badly needed mpgs, and still a wonderful car!
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone had this problem? Whenever My 05 LTD sits overnight and the temp gets below 50, the A/C and heater readouts are gone. The heater and A/C still work but you can't change it or tell what the settings are. I've taken it to two dealers, but since it was warmer, they can't fix it. I need to wait till the weather cools down and then leave the car overnight.
    Any ideas ??
    I assume the readouts are sent by sensors, probably to your computer or prom chip or whatever Toyota uses, so, either the sensors are defective or the screen is, defective in that they do not function in the cold very well. You will have to wait if you want then to actually see the problem, they could follow the flow chart readout but how would they know if it was fixed since it is now working ??
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    After driving about 300 miles on Pa turnpike with laser speed control, it just stopped working. Error code 1C shows up. Dirty lens and others cause this error. When I checked the lens, there was one bug on the lens, nothing else. Cleaned with Windix and all is well again. I guess one bug, rain, and direct sunlight, will shutdown the laser control. I still find acceleration is excessive when returning to set point. ange 3
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Yeah, and when the wipers automatically come on, LCC defaults. I duct taped a plexiglass plate in front of mine to protect laser unit- I hear replacing LCC unit is very expensive!

NWBlizzard
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    After living in Florida for 2 years I'm ready to get tinted windows on my 2005 Avalon with NAV. I know 3M and Madico have auto tinting for NAV equipped vehicles. Can anyone recommend, or have experience with, a particular brand of window tint? Any pitfalls I should be aware of concerning auto tint?

Rewop
    I used the Quarto 32 from Diamond. It is the non-metallic and looks quite good. It was a bit more expensive than most, however, I'm quite happy with it.
  • smuooksmuook Member Posts: 35
    I live in Florida also and have been using many different types of tint over the years.

One big piece of advice... don't buy a ceramic tint. It's about twice as expensive and a waste of money. I had Huper Optik on my last car and wasn't happy with it. It's twice as think as metallic tint and I wasn't happy with the optical quality. The rear window looked a little fuzzy to me. Some will say it interferes with the the radio antenna in the rear window. This is largely a myth... it has happened in a few remote cases (BMW and Mercedes). My friend has owned a professional tint company for 17 years and told me this has never happened on a Toyota for him.

I have Madico Onyx (metallic) and I'm very happy with it. It's half as thick as ceramic and performs nearly the same as far as total sun rejection. No interference with radio whatsoever. The clarity is very very good... especially compared to the Huper of my last car. Madico has been around for years and has a good reputation for durable adhesive and tint. See this board to learn more about tint:

Tint Forum

Here's a pic of my tint... it's a very black tint... no green or purple hue. I love the look:

Tint picture
    I'm not sure about the 05 limited... but the 07 limited has an acoustic layer embedded in the windshield. This is a sound deadening layer that you paid for when you bought the car. I'm pretty sure the 05 has it also. If you don't get the OEM windshield... you don't get the acoustic layer. It's your decision, but this happened to me and I demanded the OEM windshield. The reason the insurance company will tell you that the "other guys" windshield is just as good is because it cost's them about $1000 less. The OEM limited windshield is $1400.

I'm in Florida and there is not deductible for windshield repair (State law)... so the OEM windshield cost me nothing. :)

As far as the rain sensors go... you just have to let them know that you have those options. It's a different windshield because of the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror.
    smuook, Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the specialty shop when they said they had the exact replacement windshield. I was not convinced that they were correct. I called them at least 4 times before the scheduled appointment. When the installer arrived he said they did not have the right windshield and recomended the OEM which had the acoustic layer
    auto dimmer and auto wipers. It was ordered and installed in a week.
    Thanks for the info, Nimimi. I couldn't find an installer in this area who carried the Diamond line so I went with Llumar. They have a special high performance film for cars equipped with NAV, keyless ignition, etc. In this area (near Daytona Beach) the regular tint installed price is $149 while the NAV tint is $199. I get it installed next Monday.
    Rewop
    OK, Smuook, now you have me worried. No one in this area uses Madico. Shops I contacted seem to use 3M, Solargard, and Llumar. I'm hoping that since the film is specifically for vehicles with NAV that it will be ok. I don't recall the literature saying anything about it being a ceramic tint.
    Your car is silver, like mine, and looks very sharp with the tint and wheels. What tint level did you get?
    Rewop
    I forgot to mention that Diamond is the premium window tinting from Sun Gard.
    Just remember NOT to use anything with Ammonia in it to clean your tinted windows.........unless you like the color change.
    I've had Huper, Madico and Solargard in the past... Madico is good stuff, but it's not the only good stuff out there. I liked the Solargard I had in the past too (although that was awhile ago). I would talk with a few good tint shops in your area and see what they recommend. They will probably be biased toward their product line... but if you get a few opinions it will probably give you a good idea of what you need in your price range. You'll know the ceramic by the price tag... it will be $400-500. Way to expensive imho.

My tint is 35%... legal in Florida and most states. I like having only one tint on the entire car (as opposed to doing 35% in the front and 20% in the rear). I think it looks better.

Some things you might want to consider also when comparing... Total solar rejection. This is the bottom line number of how good the tint is. You don't need the best here... but if you are near the 50% range that is pretty good.

Also, one quality I like is low reflectivity. Does it look like tinted glass or does it look more like a mirror. This is one are where the ceramics do very good. They have a low relectivity (less mirror like). The Madico Onyx does very well in this area... which was a significant factor for me going with this film.

I don't have navigation... where is your antenna?
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I have enjoyed not having to have my "key" to lock/unlock and drive my car - but - I have had two incidences that have scared me. Not too long ago I drove across town to pick up my two granddaughters. When I got out of the car I left my purse with my key module in the car and closed the door. When we went to get in, the doors were locked! I had to call my husband to bring my extra key so I could unlock it. Then yesterday, I put my purse with the key in it in my car, closed the doors and went in the house to get the grandkids and the same thing happened. The doors were locked! I almost always put the girls in their carseats and my purse in the front seat, close the doors and go around to open my door and get in. Now, I am paranoid that I will forget to keep my key in my hand and that they are going to get locked in my car in this Texas heat! Has anyone else had this happen to them? When I first got my car, several times I accidentally left my purse with the key in it in the car and tried to lock the car with the button on the door and it wouldn't lock, so I assumed that if the key was inside the car, the car wouldn't lock. Evidently, that isn't true. Sorry for the long post, but I know if I tell all of this to the service manager, he will just say, "We have to witness it happen to be able to know what is wrong with it." HELP!
    I can't see the NAV antenna but I'm told it is under the rear package shelf. I plan on getting the 30 or so tint all around. The film is Llumar Axcess and it was introduced at the 2006 SEMA show. On the wewbsite it is described as not metallic and not ceramic, but it doesn't say just what it is, only that it is for today's cars with electronic gizmos. The solar rejection is "up to 56%" but it does not say what the visual light rejection is to achieve that rate. It has a lifetime warranty so it should be high quality. The tint shop is a family owned business that has been in the area for many years. The shop is clean, professional looking, and air conditioned. When I visited the shop there was a new Mercedes S550 which just had the Axcess applied and a new Range Rover was next. I hope all goes well on my '05 Avalon.
    I really don't know much about that film but I wish you luck with it. It sounds like a good way to go. Post the results when you are done. ;)
    I will try leaving the key inside and lock the doors. On my old Camry as long as the key was in the ignition it would not lock. Most guys I know carry their keys or such on their belt loop, I have never locked myself out but it must be a scary experience especially with children as my daughter has and instructed her son to open the door while in a state of panic. Toyota should be able to tell you but I will check it out
    Thanks. I have the Limited, so it is the pushbutton start. I had been bragging to everyone how I didn't have to worry about locking myself out of my car because it wouldn't lock if the key FOB was in the car. Ha, Ha. Joke's on me, but not very funny.
    I was just reviewing my owner's manual again and the thought hit me that maybe my fob battery is getting weak because I carry my cell phone and my key fob in my purse - separate pockets, but still in my purse. I bought my car the 1st of March in 05, I wonder what the battery life of the smart key fob is?
    My Limited is a late 06, I purchased it in July last year. I tried to lock myself out, I could not as I suspected. I left the spare module in the car, locked the doors and almost immediately the lights flashed and the doors opened, I did this three times, same effect so perhaps your battery is VERY weak. As to it's life span one would have to know the month it was originally installed by Toyota. I have no idea which battery at this point, I as you would have to look it up in the manual or call Toyota. If it is commonplace go to Walmart and they will replace it for you, good luck.
    Thanks. I am going to use my spare module until I can get the other one checked out. Even then, I am going to be very careful if my grandbabies are in the car! I don't trust it anymore. The manual also said that cell phone towers, etc. could make it malfunction, so maybe I was close to one of those?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You can't lock the doors if the keyfob is in the car when a door is open. Sounds to me that what happened was your keyfob was in your purse in the car and you closed your driver's door. The car "assumed" you were back in your car and locked the doors.

:)
    Mackabee
    The first time it happened, I got out of the car to get the girls and left my purse with the key fob in it and closed the door. I didn't try to lock it, but when I came back out with the girls it was locked. The second time, I opened the back door and set my purse in the floor, closed the door and went back in to get the girls, came back out and it was locked, so yes, my purse was in the car with the key fob in it both times. However, not long after I bought the car, I accidentally left the key fob in the car several times and tried to lock the door by pushing the button on the door handle, and the car wouldn't lock and I realized that I had left the key fob in the car. So that's what made me think that I wouldn't ever have to worry about locking myself out of my car.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It strikes me that the logical way to do this is to have an IR sensor inside the car so it can sense the presence of body heat and therefore assume the key has not been left in the car "alone".

Any chance you had been using the seat heat on HIGH and as it cooled the person it thought was inside "disappeared"? Or you left a pet dog in the car those times it locked with no "one" inside?

My Porsche 996 has two of these, IR sensors, for intrusion detection with the alarm set but windows and sunroof open.
    I, too, tried to lock the doors while the keyless key fob was inside the car but was unsuccessful. The car gives a long, loud beep and does not lock the door. So, in my '05 keyless Avalon, you cannot lock the door when the key fob is inside. I'm still using the original battery.
    Did you ever look up the type of battery, having a spare would be a good idea in & out of the vehicle. As far as the Porsche response for what some of these transportation units cost they should make love to you.
    Not in this Texas 95 degree weather - or at least that is what it was the second time the incident happened! My dog doesn't get to ride in my car - he goes in the van. Why don't you make your suggestion to Toyota? Sounds good to me.