Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• ellis1ellis1 Member Posts: 10
    The completely remodeled 2000 Avalon showed up in the showrroms on February 18h, 1999. I went to see it, and liked it. I wanted a black XLS. When I got home I called five dealers in the area and asked them to call me when they had a black XLS. The next day I received a call from one of them, and they had a black XLS on their lot. I said, I'll be right down. He said, I can't do much on the price. I said, whats much? He said $1000 off the MSRP. I said, we can deal. I went down got the KBB price on my trade-in, which was a 1996 Avalon. I drove home with the new car.

Yesterday, I made my second visit to a different dealer. They had an XL on display. It was loaded with options, both from Toyota and the southeast distributor. The latter stuff pure rip-off. They are asking MSRP, so the XL was $32,100, An incoming XLS, all kinds of extra stuff, $37,800,

an incoming Touring model, which I was interested in, again all kinds of extras, $35,500.

I'm sure all this will shake down in a couple of weeks. After all, how many suckers can their be.

I passed on the Acura TL six months ago because I wanted to wait for the new Avalon. However, I now think I will revisit that situation.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    ellis1, I'm sort of in agreement with you. I also passed on the Acura TL, because I wanted to see what the 2005 Avalon would offer, even though the Acura TL is smaller, it is a high tech vehicle. I was sort of disappointed with the 2005 Avalon, because of features it does not have but its siblings does, like Bluetooth enabled communication for cell phones(something the Prius offers) and Tire Pressure Warning(something the Solara offers). So I'm now going to wait for the 2006 Avalon and the 2006 TL, my final choice will be between those two.
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    Hello Nice People

This is a well Hosted & Brimming with Information forum.

Have enjoyed "all" the comments ,Excellent Information and much more current than the other Forums Thank You One And All

The St. Louis Auto Show is in town this week and 2005 AVALONS are being deliverd to local dealers this week (still can't believe they did not call them 2006's, talked to Zone Manager about that, He had a logical but Feebel Explanation) I Saw 8 in most colors and levels yesterday.

I asked my wife to go along as she drives our current Avalon (she loves it) and has impecable taste and anything we manage to agree on has got to be a winner. Took her threw the other comparable cars first, then to the Toyota location and Looked at the 3 they had at the show (Titanium

XLS with ligh Gray interior, Black Touring with the Black interior, and a Pearl White Limited with the Tan interior) She said - I said at the same time

"The White with the Tan is Georgus"

In 2004 I was dead on the operating table for 3-4

minutes, (Yes, I saw the white light, and Henry Ford came to Me and Whispered in my ear"Go Back Go Back and Buy The Avalon") that was good enough for me LOLOL.

My take on this matter is, I am 61 this week (interesting Demographic) and I can Guarante, You can't take a dime with you to where I went.

I have seen the trunk, yes it's a little smaller

than I would prefer, it should be a 2006 and has a number of other "inconqencial" things I would change in a perfect world.

I will drive one today although I would buy it having seen it without driving it. I and dealing politely with 3 local dealers am asking $2000 off. I will be some what suprised if I don't get it because While I was talking to Zone manager told HIM that was what I would do right now and to PLEASE use his leverage to get an extra car for 1 of the 3 dealers Allocation that I am talking to get more Avalons on the road (best advertizing they can get) and that as a zone manager he can get what ever he wants done........PLEASE

If you can't bet on Toyota to do it right and/or fix the problems if needed 99% of the time......... I give up.

Thank U all for your time, interest and information
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    I test drove an XLS today. It had NAV & JBL audio but not VSC. It was equipped with dealer junk such as toyoguard, tinted windows, fancy wheels, etc. Overall, we liked the car, but want to look at a Limited which will be in next week. I tried to get the trans to hesitate, but couldn't. I tried stomping on accelerator from about 5-10 mph and also from about 40-50. All I noticed was a very, slight hesitation, probably from the wire-by-throttle. The programming does seem to be more towards smoother acceleration - you don't get a big surge. The sequential shift worked well, though I'd seldom use it. There was more road noise than I expected. The trunk is a disappointment. It seems to be the same width as the 2004 Avalon but not as deep. The audio sounds very good but didn't knock my socks off; but I'm not an audiophile. We weren't able to test the NAV because we couldn't figure it out.

Compared to the Montegos(6 spd and CVT) I've driven, I give the nod to Avalon. The ride is better, quieter, nicer interior materials. But, it's also more expensive with a much smaller trunk.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Let me guess littlejohn600, you work for this dealership. This is a thinly veiled disguised post to solicit business which is against town hall rules which you agreed to when you signed up. I'm surprised the hosts have not deleted your post yet. I've seen them on the Sienna boards also. Shame, shame.

; )

Mackabee
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Hi Burl. I made my purchase of the Avalon as earlier posted on the board. I think overall with the new power plant it's a nicer car overall. I do however feel they should have included that compartment that closed and opened on the front doors, and a molding trim on the side of the car for ding protection, yet when viewing the car from the side it flows smoothly without the molding and no more wax getting caught in it that's hard to get out.. Those two things didn't stop me from purchasing the car. Toyota didn't raise the car by much and perhaps they saved some money this way. The smaller trunk space is hard to notice, it was probably a little deeper on the 04. For a large family this space wouldn't work, but for people like you and me Burl this is a wonderful car. If you need a nameplate because you need to impress people then the Avalon won't work. But you sound mature and are more interested like myself in buying a fine riding automobile for 10 thousand less and more over a fancy name that doesn't give you a better ride, and we both feel smarter for saving the bucks and knowing it's a quality automobile and anything on this new 05 will be promptly fixed if need be. I would rather impress me than anyone else. Isn't it crazy the way people will spend thousands of dollars to satisfy their egos by thinking they have impressed others that can't afford it when all they really are doing is making them jealous. I don't have to impress my friends, if I did then they aren't friends after all. Burl I got a little more than 2 thousand off the MSRP, so hopefully they will do it for you. Good Luck and Healthy driving.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    What? No low tire pressure warning system?

I'm very surprised considering all the safety features! Is this confirmed?

Thanks.
    Just for the record, someone posted that the pass thru from the trunk to the interior doesn't have a lock, that is false, I pulled the arm rest down in the center of the rear seat, and sure enough this is the lock that needs to be unlocked with your key to have the pass thorough work for you.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    A green 05' XLS and I didn't drive it. Nice car, bigger than I expected it to appear. The doors feel a bit thin but thats typical of a Japanese make.

I don't like the little instrument covers on the radio and tape deck, I can see leaving them open all the time, so why bother having it. I can also see the one in console getting busted at some point in time, these and the ones in the Nissans feel flimsy.

Trunk seemed a bit smallish but OK for my needs. The back seat had plenty of room except for head room but I'm not sitting back there.

The engine was very quiet.

I'd rather have power tilt and telesope than a manual steering wheel.

The glove box seemed a bit small.

I might be in the market for a Touring if they ever came with VSC, TC, heated seats and seat memory..
  • wesgwesg Member Posts: 24
    I'm trying to compare the Montego all-wheel with the Avalon. Ride and road noise are important to me. And, johni, did you drive the Montego all-wheel...and any other comments on comparison?? Plus, how does Mercury do on service/long-life and other Toyota pluses...Thanks...Wes
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I was at that dealer also and their internet price is $1500 over invoice price. However in that price is a 2.1% advertisement amount. Does anyone know about this and is customary for dealers in the Maryland to charge this.
    I sat in a black XLS this afternoon and went over everything a little more carefully. The other thing that is missing is the additional extension on the visor that was nice. Another way to save some bucks when they upgraded to a 3.5 280 horsepower, JMHO. The rear seats when reclined back are definitely a nice feature for passengers when going on a nice trip, I find it will be more relaxing for them to take a snooze also minus the hump in the center which is only a ledge now of about 2 inches. As far as the cheesy color of the simulated wood that was pictured and mentioned here, that was the color in this black Avalon I sat in today, and I found it very nice and warm and not cheesy at all. The picture here didn't do it any justice. The door for the cup holder as bluesman3 posted might get busted if not handeled with kid gloves, I don't feel that way about the other doors over the radio etc. The XLS has a six changer CD, so there are plenty of hours of listening before changing, so don't see that door getting abused. I like the doors in general, they give a contemporary sleek look to the dash concealing the radio and disk player which will keep the dust off that I'm always cleaning on my 04 Avalon. I looked for an ashtray but if there is one I didn't find it, and happily because as a non-smoker I never let anyone smoke in my car anyway. So all in all even though I won't see or get my car till after the 15th of February, overall I'm very satisfied and regardless of some opinions here I do love the rear end and up close the front end is nice, my son says might even have a slight Mercedes look to it, the sport car version, I didn't see it, but perhaps. So liking what I see I know I'm going to love the engine when it purrs and the power when I need it. Well my friends every dealer from the three I have visited now has a car on the lot, as least that is what I was led to believe by Mackabee on here. So if you want to see it you can and maybe get the answers your looking for. I was going to buy the XL but wanted the passengers power seat which wasn't offered as an option. After seeing the XL, I'm glad I didn't buy it, it looks sparse inside compared to the XLS because of the wood, and you can see the stiching for the leather on the wheel and shifter which just seems like molded plastic on the XL simulating a leather look wthout the stitching.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I was out and about in Spartanburg, SC this Friday and I went over to the local Toyota dealership.

They had a White Avalon XLS with ALL the options and the rip off SE Distribution mess.

The car overall had a sticker of $37xxx, I was shocked...it did have the Navi system too.

They added Splash guards ($177) Sunroof visor, and some type of rims that just didn't look right on the car.

I REALLY like the styling in person though...looks better than the pics.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    Just an FYI.

There is a brand-new 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited listed on Ebay, with some actual real world pictures of the actual car.

Really beautiful deep metallic red color.

Nice to see some actual pictures instead of the fancy press release pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=6444&item=4525620075&rd=1

P.S.-NO this is not my car, I just like looking at the pictures! Thought you might too...
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    NO No--I do not work for any dealer. Just an Ole Fool looking for a good price on a 2005 Avalon that comes without a lot of "PORT" add-on's, etc.

Since I am a senior citizen, I am really disappointed that a Back-up Sensor is not available and that the turn signals in the outside mirrors are not available as an option on all Avalons. Even the Buick LaCrosse and the Ford Five Hundred have the back-up sensors available.
  • minsnowminsnow Member Posts: 6
    Am hesitating between the TL and the new Avalon (have not tried the new Avalon yet). Price range are similar with Avalon offering more space but TL more gizmos (price Avalon XLS ~ price of TL with Navi). How would you compare these cars especially how they ride? Am also searching for noise levels in both cars at different speeds (measured in decibel) and I cannot find these numbers anywhere?

Thanks
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    tweaker, I looked at the 2005 Avalon and 2005 Solara brochures under the Safety and Convenience section and I found Tire Pressure Monitor System for the Solara but not for the Avalon.

Tee
    Some comparisons of the 2005 XLS Avalon to the 2005 Acura TL. Following are some spec's for the Avalon first, than the Acura for you to make comparisons to some questions asked here and you determine which car is best suited for you and or family or better value.

-----------------------------------------------

Avalon spec's. Luggage capacity..14.4, 280hp at 6,200 rpm, 260lb. ft. at 4,700 rpm..Fuel Tank, 18.5 gal.. Wheelbase 111.0.. Turning circle 36.9.. Miles per ga. 22/31 Base price $30,800

------------------------------------------------------------

Acura spec's. Luggage capacity..12.5, 270hp at 6,200 rpm, 238 lb. ft. at 5,000 rpm.. Fuel Tank, 17.0 gal.. Wheelbase 107.9.. Turning circle, 39.7.. Miles per ga. 20/28 Base price $32,900

---------------------------------------------------------------

Some conclusions. You have more gas in your tank and get better miles so you can go further in the Avalon with more trunk space, make a complete turn in less space with the Avalon, wheel base is larger for a more comfortable ride for the Avalon with a little more powerful engine, and I didn't list the spec's but much more room in rear of the Avalon if you care about passengers in back. Good luck to those of you who asked these questions and trust you will make a wise decision.
    Some comparisons of the 2005 XLS Avalon to the 2005 Acura TL. Following are some spec's for the Avalon first, than the Acura for you to make comparisons to some questions asked here and you determine which car is best suited for you and or family or better value.

-----------------------------------------------

Avalon spec's. Luggage capacity..14.4, 280hp at 6,200 rpm, 260lb. ft. at 4,700 rpm..Fuel Tank, 18.5 gal.. Wheelbase 111.0.. Turning circle 36.9.. Miles per ga. 22/31 Base price $30,800

------------------------------------------------------------

Acura spec's. Luggage capacity..12.5, 270hp at 6,200 rpm, 238 lb. ft. at 5,000 rpm.. Fuel Tank, 17.0 gal.. Wheelbase 107.9.. Turning circle, 39.7.. Miles per ga. 20/28 Base price $32,900

---------------------------------------------------------------

Some conclusions. You have more gas in your tank and get better miles so you can go further in the Avalon with more trunk space, make a complete turn in less space with the Avalon, wheel base is larger for a more comfortable ride for the Avalon with a little more powerful engine, and I didn't list the spec's but much more room in rear of the Avalon if you care about passengers in back. Good luck to those of you who asked these questions and trust you will make a wise decision.
    WESG, I've driven both the 6 spd & all wheel drive w/ CVT Montegos. Of the two, I liked the CVT better. It was smoother shifting - more like Avalon - without the jerky downshifting of the 6 spd. Did not notice any difference in handling during my routine test drive. Neither Montego nor Avalon are sport sedans. Montego does not have VSC that Avalon has available. Montego has traction control only. The all-wheel drive Montego has a significant hump in floor which makes it a 4 passenger for only short trips. The Avalon is more powerful and that's certainly noticeable during acceleration. While modest acceleration-wise, Montego can get me on the highway without getting run over. I'd give the edge on noise and drive to the Avalon, but the Montego certainly aint bad. I like the slightly higher seat postion of the Montego. The interior leather and plastics of Montego are not as nice as Avalon. But that huge trunk is a big plus. No one can truly predict how the Montego will be on service/life since it's so new. The engine is very reliable - it's the same as in my 98 Taurus. The salesman said the CVT has already been proven in Europe (Audi, I believe); but I don't know that you can take that to the bank. While Avalon has a new engine/transmission, Toyota's reputation is certainly better than Ford's. Personally, I'm leaning toward the Avalon. Hope this helps.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Thanks Tee for the info. I hope that's just an oversight in the brochure.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    a quick mention here, the only Audi association is the chain in the CVT, no other connection. The CVT while jointly developed between Ford & ZF (ZF Friedrichshafen) is now a 100% Ford product with outsourcing and for me that does not speak to long longevity.
    Forgot, the Acura TL doesn't have body side molding as a protection against dings.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I spent Saturday and then again Sunday morning touring Toyota dealerships in the area. Looks like all of the vehicles in this area (NW Indiana) are all equiped the same way at least for the launch. The XL has SR (sunroof - 910), EV (6 disc changer - 200), CF (mats - 199) for a total of $28,199 including freight. The XLS is EJ (JBL sound - 640), VD (VSC - 1090) and CF (mats - 199) for a total of $33,269. The Limited has CL (laser cruise - 600), NV (navi - 1900, VD (VSC - 650), and CF (mats - 199) for a total of $37,429. The only variation I have seen is the Blizzard Pearl is a $220 extra.

I have seen most colors now and like the darker colors best, although Silver Pine (lt green) looks nice.

The trunk isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. It looks fine to me. The rear looks much better in person than in the pictures. The front looks too much like my Camry. Nothing classy about the grill at all. The inside is really cheap looking on the XL. My Camry LE looks much better in my opinion. I am not really fond of the wood trim. I actually like the look of the XLS better because there is less of the wood to look at.

As for the slab sides and no door moldings, I think that is an issue as well. I think a very narrow aftermarket molding painted the color of the car would look absolutely fine. I was even looking at the moldings on the Corolla and I think they might work, but they are a little wider than what I think would look best.

One dealer has addded an $858 "environmental protection package (basically scotchgarded the inside and put a protective wax on the paint) and $149 paint stripe on all of their vehicles. Those are of course pure markup, and I wouldn't apy for them, but the paint stripe does look good. It started on the front fender just behind the headlights and followed the upper crease and wrapped completely around the trunk. It looked good as long as it was a contrasting color.

I must say there was a Camry SE in Salsa Red with a spoiler and ground effects sitting right next to an Avalon Limited at one of the dealerships and I actually thought the Camry SE was a better looking vehicle.

Another item I noticed was the huge number of Sienna's on the lots. Evidently supply now exceeds demand, at least in my area.

My thought after seeing the Avalon in person, is it just does not grab me as something I "have to have". I am sure it is a nice sedan, but I think I would be just as happy with a Camry. I had thought from the specs and the initial pictures, etc, that I would want to upgrade from my Camry, but it just didn't do that to me. So I will be driving my Camry for a while longer.
    My apologies littlejohn600. The post just looked too much like one of many that a certain troll has been dropping on a lot of the Edmunds threads.

: )

Mackabee
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Planned on the 2005 being my next car, but after spending two days looking at a Limited & XL at two different dealerships the car just doesn't have the X factor. Big Avalon fan, last two cars have been Avalons and loved them both. Drove the Limited, the only thing I liked better than my 01 was the power. Very surprised to find that my 01 has less road noise. Like the layout of the 2005 interior, but there is a cost cutting factor that keeps coming at you. The dash board is hard and processed looking. My 01 has two visors on the driver side with an extendor, 05 has one and the extendor has been eliminated. The console doors do not have the smooth tactile feel of the earlier model. The door panels also have a cheaper processed look. On the outside the car's profile is awkward looking, front and rear views are good. I hate door dents, the car has huge doors, without an protection. Any door scape is going to show huge. Took the MS out today to look at them, got a thumbs down from her. Summary, car is big and I am sure it will get 200K miles for you with little trouble. But is has zero lust factor. Both cars I looked at are still unsold.

Maybe the car will grow on me, because I am a big Toyota fan. But right now I am keeping my older model.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Hmmm. I can't say the ebay pics do anything for me. It is nice to see sometyhing other than the slick press release pics though. I still look forward to my dealership getting one so I can see in person and drive. If thumbs down, oh well, I can always spend several thou less and get a v6 cam-cord with leather, and go on a few nice trips with the difference.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    So are door ding protectors and visor pullouts the deal breaker for you folks?

I would like to ask why people are interested in the Avalon in the first place.

I want power, comfort, luxery and good looks. I do not think that anyone could say the new Avalon does not provide these 4 things (personal opinion on the looks).

I am suprised to hear how many people don't like the size of the trunk. The new trunk is only marginally smaller. With all due respect, are you folks looking at buying a luxery sedan, or a cargo van? How much stuff do you need to haul around with you? My trunk is completely empty 99% of the time.

Additionally, I just can't see any comparison between the Mercury Montago and the new Avalon. (Other then they both have 4 wheels, doors and seats) You can't even get a navigation unit in the Mercury. The Avalon also out performs it by almost 80hp. And I think we would all take the bet that the new Avalon will be more reliable then the Mercury.

Just my opinion...
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    I'd also be interested in some feedback on the Nav system and how user friendly the joy stick type interface is. How do you enter an address? It looks to me as though it would require moving a cursor around on a video keyboard on the screen to select the letters or numbers.

The previous Avalons did not get high reviews on their nav system. It is tough to beat the touch screen like Lexus or Acura.

I need a car that can hold 4 golf bags and I do believe the trunk in the 2005 Av. is marginal. Anyone test it out with 4 bags? Why do the manufacturers think a roomy trunk is now passe? The new STS has a smaller trunk as does the Acura RL.

I looked at the top end Merc Montego today. Nice AWD car and they have a very roomy trunk. Seating position F/R is nice and spacious except only the driver seat is heated. No Nav offered.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    My '96 Avalon had silver(chrome) letters and emblem on it and the wife and I both liked the gold better. Does the new Avalon offer gold lettering or is that maybe a dealer installed option?

MikeS.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Why do so many people refer to port installed options when these cars are built here in Kentucky. Last time I looked KenTuck was land locked. Is this a throw back to when Toyota imported everything?

MikeS.
  • prince812prince812 Member Posts: 35
    I had a chance to input on the Nav this past weekend. My impressions:

1. Although it is not touch screen, it is the next best thing in user friendliness. It was easier than others I have used and it was fine for me.

2. It seemed to be easy enough to input and it is intuitive so it makes things easier.

3. It responds to voice, but I did not get a chance to give it any commands to see how it would respond.

4. The screen it easy enough to see although I am used to the screen being closer to me. Again with the voice guidance the screen size is fine since you will be guided mostly by voice. I have read it is a small screen, but I have seen smaller ones (300C).

Of course no system I have used compares with the Acura RL-it is in a class by itself.

If you compare it to the Acura TL (which is a fair comparison) it falls a bit short in ease of use, but it is definitely easy enough to use. I would not hesitate to buy the car if that was a concern.

I would be interested to hear what others thought after using it.
    Does anyone know how the doors can be protected against dings if there is not side molding?

Can moldings be installed? Are there any other options to protect it?

I will be leasing so dents and dings could be a problem for me at lease end.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Prince the answer is yes. Here is a link to try. http://www.business.com/directory/automotive/parts_and_accessorie- s/interior/trim/

Find a custom detailer in your area and have a molding put on professionally if that's what you want. Good luck
    Just me,

Thanks for the Link...
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I think the comparison of the Montego/500 to the Avalon is right on the mark. How many people buy a NAV system right now? 5-10% maybe. If that is a major factor then I agree you don't look at the Montego/500. Where is the AWD on the Avalon? To me if you live in the snowbelt area, this is much more important than NAV. If you look at the acceleration numbers for the Montego, the engine performs more like 230-250hp especially with the CVT.

I looked at both this weekend. The interior of the Avalon XLS is nice but as mentioned before the woodgrain is cheezy. The trunk is incredible on the Montego. You can get memory seating on the Montego for $25676-FWD/$27597-AWD and on the Avalon it starts at $34,080.

The Avalon looks much better exterior wise than the previous generation, but Toyota is pushing people to the Limited to get many popular features. At that price, the nearly as good competitors look like bargains, and the better luxury nameplates look comparable.

The Montego/500 reliability remains an unknown, but many people might be willing to take a chance given both the $5-10000 difference and keeping the dollars at home by helping Ford.
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I read the comments about the new Avalon and I agree if it does not have what you like get something else. I have an Accord and dislike the no real spare. no lights on, no heated mirrors and and no split seat plus the ExL rides poorly compared to the Toyota. I will not buy another one

We love our 2000Avalon and new one better as good
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    THEPOPE1:

I DO NOT THINK I COULD AGREE MORE WITH YOU. WHEN YOU LOOK UNDER THE SKIN, AND TAKE AWAY ALL THOSe electronic features, the car is actually just changed, not some much improved. And the price you pay for the electronic gizmos is quite robust.

The lack of a bench seat, smaller trunk, no a fold down rear seat, larger tires, etc. do not make up for other creature comfort features.

My needs may have changed as well, as that NEW Honda Ridgeline with its independent suspension is looking better all the time. Will wait a couple of years though till the bugs are worked out.

abfisch
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    I have heard more than one person assert this is bad. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

I don't think I have used a key to open a door or trunk in 8 to 10 years - not necessary with a button inside and one on the remote.

Besides, an observation I have made is that I have never seen a trunk pried, cut or forced open by thieves. But, I have seen countless cars with the lock pushed in, to the point that they even make collars to go around the keyhole.

I doubt anyone posting here lives in a neighborhood where that is rampant, unless your condo doesn't have parking included, but we all end up in less-than-ideal areas on occasion.

Just my $0.02
    You may be able to fit 4 golf bags in the 2005 Avalon if you take the woods and any long shaft clubs out of two of the bags and lay them alongside. I put two sets of clubs (normal cart bags, not the huge ones like the pros use) in the rear of the trunk which is wider than the front. That area is not large enough for 4 bags, however. I was only able to fit bags in the front of the trunk between the wheel wells by taking out the long shafts. That's not unusual for most cars.
  • sadlermdsadlermd Member Posts: 8
    Your opinions are interesting because, after looking at the 05 Avalon, I reached the same conclusion.

When I saw the webcast for the Avalon, I said to myself, WHOA, I MUST HAVE THIS CAR! Having owned nothing but Toyota's for over 20 years (I am in my 40's), I just knew this car had to be a no brainer/must do deal, because no doubt it is better than it looked and it looks great! And for all practical purposes, it's cheap!

Well, Saturday, 5 Feb, I spent about 30 minutes walking around, sitting in and touching things in a 05 Avalon Limited (it had just been delivered and was not ready for driving). Although from a styling standpoint, one might say it is better than the previous model, from a materials perspective, things just didn't seem quite right.

Example, when I adjusted the reclining rear seats, as they rubbed against the side, it sounded like cardboard. (The rubbing itself was a little annoying.)

When you run your hands over the roof, doors and panels throughout the interior, surfaces felt a little harder than expected and where there is a cloth, a little hollow; you get the sense a few dollars were saved on the interior materials. In some places I thought if I pressed too hard I might puncture something.

The fact that it doesn't have body side moldings is a bit unusual (maybe the sides are using a material that doesn't show dings as much as other cars!).

The hinge in the trunk appeared to be made of some type of plastic (I am not sure if this is common, but I just noticed it).

When you look at the side view of the car, the rear door windows look a lot like the 300c, even a little like the Magnum, (this obviously is a good/bad thing depending on your tastes!) but they do look smaller in person than they do in the pictures.

Even without driving it, you get the sense it may not be as quiet as you would expect it to be. (I will drive one this week to know for sure).

The observations and opinions above are purely subjective so please take my comments with a grain of salt! I have no doubt that the new Avalon will give its owners great satisfaction. I also will give Toyota the benefit of the doubt that, despite what I think about the interior materials, everything in the car does work as advertised. My expectations (which were extremely high) were simply skewed by the marketing hype and my own past experiences with Toyotas.

On the other hand, last month my wife and I bought the 05 Camry XLE with the Nav system (this is her car). After having driven it few times, I am absolutely blown away by this car! I literally love this car! When I sit inside it, the only thoughts that cross my mind are "top-of-the-line" and "must have". The car is simply the best Toyota we have ever owned. The driving comfort, the quality of the materials, the Navigation System and its ease of use and accuracy plus all the numerous conveniences found throughout the car all contribute to creating a better than average driving experience.

Note: I will never buy another car without a Nav system. I think Navigation systems will be to the future of car accessories what the radio became in the past: standard equipment. For anyone living in a city where there is a good chance you may not know the directions to a place you need or want to go, on-board Navigation is really convenient. And like all things, they will only get better and cheaper.

But back to the 05 Camry XLE, when people first see it and ride in it, they always comment that it looks and feels like one of those expensive European cars, but little do they know it only cost 28k! And it doesn't hurt that the interior space is almost as roomy as the 04 Avalon!

So, I will wait and give the 06 Avalon a look, but if it doesn't make better sense to buy it, I will go with a Camry XLE of my own.

By the way, once you get close to the new Avalon, in my humble opinion, it doesn't really appear to be the threat to Lexus we thought it would be. At least, not right now. However, it looks like it is dead-on with its real target-market: Ford, GM and Chrysler customers. For this shopper, the new Avalon will be similar in many ways but, at the same time, a huge step up in others. They will be hard pressed to find fault with the Avalon. But, for long time Toyota customers who are used to Toyota quality combined with the sense of having gotten more for the money, well, try it out and see what you think...
    Mike, port installed means these options or accessories are installed at the port of distribution for a particular region. For example here in CAT (central atlantic Toyota) the port of distribution is in Annapolis Md, and also in NY/NJ. These options or accessories can also be installed at the dealership level. Most of them anyway.

Mackabee
    We just got our second Avalon in, a Touring model in Titanium silver. The Limited was sold just as the truck pulled in with the Touring. After reading these last posts about interior quality I had to go and check it out myself. What I see here is the same thing that happened in 1997 with the Camry. The 92-96 Camry was a Lexus in disguise and the next generation Camry was "decontented" as Toyota put it. This new Avalon although loaded with new features does seem to have a less quality material feel. I went and looked at the inside door panels and they do not look as well finished as on the current Camry. The dashboard is still soft but it does not look as good as the previous model. The rear vent louvres also don't look as expensive as before. Who knows? Maybe they did do some cost cutting. It worked with the 97 Camry when they put cheaper cloth, plastics, and eliminated the hood pneumatic lifters in favor of the prop rod. We sold a bunch of Camrys then which made it the number #1 selling car in the US. This will probably attract a lot of domestic buyers and it will probably have the same effect as the Camry did in 97. Time will tell.

Mackabee
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    For those who want to read anything available on the Avalon..

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=72190&p=irol-news- Article_Print&ID=671005&highlight=
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    Hi Mackabee... My salesman wrote $33,341 for the XLS and 37,500 for the limited on the brouchure. #1336 reports MSRP for Limited at 39,450. #1341 states SLS Loaded at 37,800. Sure sounds to me like dealers are playing price games - much as they did post WWII. (You young folks: Ask your daddy about those days)

I certainly don't stand alone in my critique of the '05.

Maybe it's nit-picking, but the extra sun visor and pull-out extenders were nice touches - as was the protective side-mouldings. Why they didn't include them in '05 is a mystery - other then shaving a couple bucks from their costs. The suggestion to find a custom detailer is o.k. - EXCEPT, why should we have to do that?

One comment is that they are getting up into the pricing of competitive luxury cars...And Toyotas famous selling claim of 'great trade-in value' seems to be gone in today's market. After two Avalons which both my wife and I loved - 'fraid it's goodbye Toyota.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Judging by the looks of the new Lexus GS and knowing that their target is to emulate BMW, I think we'll all be surprised by the new ES and LS when they debut in 2006.

I don't see Toyota being a threat to Lexus. Now that they have their own design staff the line will begin to show it's own "DNA" and not just be a Toyota in emperor's clothing.

I think Toyota is more of a threat to Ford and GM than to it's own Lexus line. I think the day will come when Toyota will be the #1 auto maker in the world unless Ford and GM make some major business changes and NOW!
    pope,$33,341 sounds about right for an XLS with JBL, Vehicle stability, and floor mats. The limited seems kind of pricey although it may have the nav, xm radio, and all the other accessories available. Then you have the "stereo typical" dealers that use the addendum or market adjustment stickers or better known in the industry as "sucker" stickers. I've never cared for them. We don't use them here.

bluesman, Toyota is well on its way to world market domination. They could blow away GM right now if they wanted to.

Mackabee
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Judging by all the positive reviews, it seems like reviewers who actually test drove the car really like it. Although I personally think Toyota made a minor mistake by stuffing all the nice goodies in the top of the line limited model. Some of the amenities should at least be optional on the lower trim models. Speaking of Toyota dominating the auto industry, I just found this article.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=Toyota+GM+2006&- amp;page=1&offset=2&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26- requestId%3Dad04e39476bf9913%26clickedItemRank%3D3%26userQuery%3D- Toyota%2BGM%2B2006%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Feconomy.- news.designerz.com%252Ftoyota-eyes-gms-crown-as-worlds-top-carmak- er-in-2006.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPToolbarNS%2- 6amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Feconomy.news.desig- nerz.com%2Ftoyota-eyes-gms-crown-as-worlds-top-carmaker-in-2006.h- tml
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Wow, there is a lot of talk about jacked up prices. What could be easier than going to a dealer's internet and simply paying $1500 over dealer invoice. That's what is going on in the Maryland area. some dealers are of course asking MSRP but I am not sure how many, if any, they are selling. There seems to be quite a few on the dealer lots already in this area. I have been told by Toyota, Georgetown, 85,000 units are to be made as compared to 35,000 in 04. With this many available, deals should be plentiful.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    $1500 over invoice. That's very good considering the all the hype the car is getting. Is that for all trims or just the lower end XL ?