Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Let us know if the changeout works. I Like the self leveling headlights and low beam HID, but the high beam isn't that good in my oponion..

NW Blizzard
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    Int: :( Yes indeed the dealer ripped me off by going by the "book". The service writer told me they have to follow a diagnostic procedure to find the problem which could be the transmitter or the receiver, blab..blab..blab. That is why I suggest anybody with fob problem to try replacing the battery first yourself. So did the battery replacement fixed your problem?
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    pcc49: So far it has worked perfectly everytime. I'll keep you posted. I don't 100% trust my car now, but at least I learned how to get the key out. My son showed me how to do that.
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    Yes, I know the manual says to have the dealer replace them as compared to the Sienna manual which shows you how to replace them. I am wondering if there is a specific reason why with the Avalon I should not change them myself?
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Check on 9011 bulbs from Toshiba. Lots of info on Google. They are reported to be much brighter than the 9005 bulbs. IIRC article says Nissan Maxima is using them. I was going to get some but was stopped by the problem of how to get the bulbs out. Hope you find an easy way.
    FYI; I just bought two Energizer Lithium batteries (CR1632, 3 Volt)for $4.99 each + sales tax at a jewelery store inside a Fred Meyers store up here in the Pacific NW. I installed them in our two electronic transmitters and they work just fine. Suggest you call some jewelery stores and see what they charge before paying the inflated price @ Toyota Parts Dept! Also, my orginal OEM batteries lasted about 2-1/2 years.

NW Blizzard
    Yeah, I knew I could probably get them cheaper even at perhaps a Walmart, but my husband was out of town, and I am not very good at doing things like that. It was worth the $11 to me. I had my 2000 Avalon for 5 years and never replaced the fob battery, but I guess this one is much more sophisticated! I really didn't expect it to last as long.
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    Any reason you used a CR 1632 instead of the CR 2032 specified in the owners manual? Looking at the specs on the Energizer site the CR 1632 and the CR 2032 have different physical size and different electrical capacities. The CR 2032 looks like it has twice the life expectancy as the CR 1632.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I have a 2006 Limited with the remote start fob, since you didn't mention what fob you had how do they open. I tried the suggestion of removing the key and pressing the same release and sliding the rear off but it simply did not work.
    The battery in queston is for the transmitter(part of the smart key system). On page 26 in my 2005 Owner's Manual, it verbally describes and has nice illustrations on how to changeout the battery inside the transmitter. You basically first remove the mechanical key then stick a screwdrive into a slot on the end of the transmitter and pry the case open to access the CR 1632 Lithuim battery.

I do not have the remote start feature on my car.

NW Blizzard
    Okay, you got me I'm a little lazy when it comes to owners manuals. Actually I saw the discussion and sought a simple solution, now I will look at the manual, THANK YOU.......
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Ok Jl, it should look something like this:

Hope it helps.
    :)
    Mack
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    Interesting thing about the battery number. The on-line manual and the manual on CD that I got with the car both say to use the CR 2032 but when I just opened my key case to check it has the CR 1632 battery installed. I'll have to check the paper manual and see what it says. If in doubt I guess I'll replace the battery with the same number currently in the case.
    See my previous #14017. The CR 1632 is what my 2005 Toyota Owner's manual (pg 26) identifies as the correct replacement battery. My OEM battery lasted ~2-1/2 years and I replaced both batteries in both transmitters.

Our Super Wal Mart both in their cameras and jewelery sections did not have the CR 1632.
    Nice picture BUT the page number would really help and yes I meandered through it.
    Look in the index under Smart key.
    Mack
    Does anyone know how to remove the A/C filter from the 2006 Avalon?
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Read the manual
    Algee: I read the manual which shows the Air conditioning filter as in the back of the glove compartment! I looked underneath the glove compartment, there is a plastic cover. I am just looking to see if anyone has successfully removed and replaced the filter. It will probably cost $100 to have the dealer replace it. The parts itself is about $30.

Algee: Have you actually remove this filter yourself and knows the trick to doing it? :(
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    I haven't done my '06 Av yet. But on every other Toyota in the family including my prior Avalon you have to drop the glovebox down. This usually involves removing the little "shock" on one side and then squeezing in the sides of the door while pulling down. The door will swing down far enough so you have access to the filter. Look for a panel or door about 2 x 8 inches and the filter is in there. Your post reminds me that mine is probably due for replacement soon. Yet another project. :cry:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    . . . and you can buy the filter online for $15.
    What site and what is the S&H......

I use First Toyota but have not priced it out, I presume it is time & not mileage to change this filter??????//
    First thing I did, I DID NOT see anything pertaining to the key, looked under maintainence, specs etc, I hate this manual, how about making it simple as in BATTERY's, car & FOBS................
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, mackabee doesn't write the manual. ;) But maybe he can help anyway.

Is there anyplace the manual is online? I'm so used to using search features to find what I want that it drives me crazy to have to deal with a hard copy of something. :mad:
    I can't remember the site I found them at for $15. They are at metrotpn.com for $20.

I took mine out and blew/shook all the dirt and crud out of it (after 2 years and 16,000 miles). It looks as if it should go at least another year before it needs actual replacing.
  • highroller2highroller2 Member Posts: 16
    Replaced mine last week. Got the filters on line for $15, bought three. Google "air conditioning filters and a bunch of sources will show up. And then. . . Take the stuff out of the glove box and drop the box down all the way. then unscrew the screw on the bottom of the little piston on the right side. Squeeze both sides toward the middle and whole box will drop down to verticle You will then see a black rectangle filter cover about 2-in by 8-in. squeeze the sides and take off the cover. The filter slides out. Replace the filter paying attention to the little arrow on the filter indicating air flow direction. Squeeze the sides and put the filter cover back on. Squeeze the glove box sides and shove the box back into place. Put the screw back in and Replace junk in the box. That's it takes about 6 minutes. Dealer wants $65 to do this job.
    Junk, people keep junk in the glove box, do people not keep gloves in it. Thanks for the info, every little bit helps, still need some info on the remote start FOB battery, I would hate to break this damn thing. Speaking of battery's does anyone know how to replace the back on a Tiffany Portfolio watch. I changed the battery but the damn thing refuses to go back on, unlike the Rolex which screws on this damn thing has to snap in place and I hate paying a jeweler to do it.
  • don84don84 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Avalon Limited that has the same proplem. Windshield wiper makes one swipe of windshield when car is started. This will happen randomly when windshield is dry and clean. It has happened when the car has been in the garage for a few days,it has happened after stopping at a store then restarting. I had a 2003 Avalon XLS that had the same wipers and this never happened the four years I had it.
    I took my '06 Ltd. in for an erratic rain-sensor. They tested it and said it was either go or no-go. They also said they checked with Toyota for possible software updates, to no avail. So, I guess, the answer is live with it until it ceases working all together.
    Mine does the same thing, I now turn them off unless it is actually raining, I have been hit too many times while cleaning the windshield, their cute but honestly unnecessary and possibly dangerous..............Where's Toyotas concern about liability on these ??????, still ticks me off the stupid car shuts off with the remote start, liability BAH HUMBUG.............
    See message 14034
    Ok jl, here's a link that will take you to your new Avalon. Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask! :blush: Just click on the link title and it will take you to ToyotaIguide.com to the Avalon section. Pick either 2005, 2006, or 2007 then either xl, xls, touring, or limited which ever one you own. Go to the "keys and doors" section and read through it. Or go to the bottom left and click on "owner's manual" and go to page 25 if you have an 2006. It shows you how to replace the battery. Hope this helps. :blush:image
    highroller2: :) Thanks so much for the extremely clear instructions on removing the A/C filter! Hats off to you! Did you figured this out yourself? I was able to replace mine in 5 minutes although I went to the dealer a week ago and paid $30 for the filter! Will use internet to order in the future.

Does anyone know what "fob" means?
    Cool, THANKS..............
    "Does anyone know what "fob" mean"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Have questions? Find out how to ask questions and get answers. •
    Jump to: navigation, search
    A wooden key fob made by aarikka of Finland
    A wooden key fob made by aarikka of Finland

A key fob is a decorative item many people often carry with their keys, on a ring or a chain, for ease of tactile identification, to provide a better grip, or to make a personal statement. Key fobs are often mistakenly called "key rings" or "key chains" in colloquial usage.

Fobs vary considerably in size, style and functionality. Most commonly they are simple discs of smooth metal or plastic, typically with a message or symbol such as that of a logo (as with conference tchotchke) or a sign of an important group affiliation. A fob may be symbolic or strictly aesthetic, but it can also be a small tool. Many fobs are small flashlights, compasses, calculators, penknives, discount cards, bottle openers, or USB flash drives.

Electronic key fobs are used for remote keyless entry systems on motor vehicles. Early electric key fobs operated using infrared and required a clear line of sight to function. These could be copied using a programmable remote control. More recent models use challenge-response authentication over radio frequency, so these are harder to copy and do not need line of sight to operate. Programming these remotes sometimes require the automotive dealership to connect a diagnostic tool but many of them can be self-programmed by following a sequence of steps in the vehicle and usually requires at least 1 working key.

Mackabee

or
  • 1fishaholic1fishaholic Member Posts: 3
    Here is a site that you can order from, they are the cheapest I have found and have the quickest turn around I have ever seen...I don't work for the company but I just ordered a whole bunch of parts from them and I am very impressed with their service. They made a mistake on the ship to address. I send them an email and they responded within an hour....quick, huh! Anyway, here is the link, check them out...
    http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-CDBC-CC.aspx
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A lot of people seem to think fob is an acronym and write it as FOB because of that, but it really isn't. Mackabee gave a great explanation of what it a fob is, but I just wanted to make the general point that "fob" is an actual word and doesn't need to be capitalized as many do. ;)

P.S. People make the same mistake with "nav" by writing it NAV and aux written as AUX. They are both abbreviations, not acronyms. Yeah, I can be a PITA (which is an acronym!) over this kind of stuff! ;)
    The cost of shipping is almost the cost of the filter. No way! :confuse:
    I thought one always capitalized the name of a particular person, place or thing, since Fob is a thing why would it not be capitalized as did I.

12 years of Catholic School, maybe my mind is gone.......
    Mackabee, you have TOOOOOOOOOOO much time on your hands, are sales that slow ?????????
    Just a tad. I did sell two today to make up for my day off yesterday. :)
    Mackabee
    Glad you took it as the joke I meant.

Since you are in the business, I purchased an 06 Limited, no Nav, no Laser cruise but I believe everything available at the time. I paid $32,300, Deal Or No Deal. (Sorry couldn't resist)I live in Orange county, NY.........
    Deal! What color?
    :)
    Mackabee
    I purchased the Titanium Metallic, I simply could not go with the Blonde interior. I wonder if Toyota does a focus group prior to their style changes. I know the Avalon is dedicated to an older crowd but we're older, not dead. A simple questionnaire on the net, with pictures both interior & exterior would help them a lot, hope I'm not offending anyone but Blonde, really and the dark colors and tan interiors have to go also. Just my taste,Conservative all the way.
    They did canvass previous generation Avalon owners. A couple of my clients told me they received questionnaires in the mail asking for suggestions for this current Avalon. As far as interiors go I think Toyota owns the rights to beige/ivory, stone/grey colors. Once in a while they will throw in a third color choice but not very often. I guess it's a matter of preference. I love the Blizzard pearl and ivory leather combination as well as the Cassis red pearl and Ivory. IMHO the ivory interior color gives the car an more spacious look or feel. The gray seems to me more constricting and crowded. I like them both and have owned Camry with beige and one with gray and I prefer the beige. I'm glad they changed the plood (plastic wood) to a dark walnut. It goes better with the ivory interior. They did the same with the Camry XLE 08. Just curious, if say you went with a black avalon, which color interior would you choose? I think I know the answer. I would go with the ivory interior. Have you visited my carspace page? Here's the link title
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    Depends, mainly on the as you put it plood, I prefer the darker simulations. I had ONE black car, a 1965 Chevelle SS, first week it was deeply scratched down a side, of all places in the church parking lot, from then on it went downhill to a multitude of crazy accidents, as in, a bolt from a building under construction near Wall Street going through the rear fender and on and on, no thank you, NO black cars.

I wanted the Cassis Pearl but not the interiors, I sit inside the car. I have dressed up the SILVER and learned to appreciate it, as in never looking dirty. I installed exhaust ports similar to the very early Buicks, always liked the look, couldn't afford it at the time. The Avalon is a great bang for the buck, looked at Lincolns, Buick Lucerne's, Beemers and Benz, still preferred the Avalon. Toyota needs new stylers, younger if necessary and what is this regional accessory thing, can't order mudguards in the Northeast, do they not know it snows here. This tranny thing worried me but as previously stated mine was made in late June 06, I believe I missed the problem. Three more years on the loan and I will be looking for a new one.
    Mackabee, I, too, have never liked the "yellow" plood, but I also do not like the gray leather, so I bought the casis pearl with beige interior. I don't hate the yellow as much as I used too, but I would love to have the darker - I think it would keep me from wanting to trade my car in on a new one. I have the limited, so I am wondering about how much it would cost to have the darker plood installed? I am thinking that because of the steering wheel it would be lots! Any idea?
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    This is a minor thing, but wondering if any one else has this.
    I have an '05 Avalon Limited.
    At times when I start it, the MPG has dropped to 0. This is after I have say a half a tank, a reading of say 27 or 28, not a refill when shut down. It will soon (10-20 miles)build back up to about what it was reading before the shut down.
    I know it resets at fill up, but this is not the same.
    It has happened now about 5 or 10 times over the past year.
    Minor, but is it by chance an indicator of things to come right after the warranty has lapsed?
    If in warranty have it checked as the miles and time go by quickly...........
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    I have 31k on it, the time runs out in April. I've talked to Toyota of FT Worth and they say it is almost impossible to find out what is wrong unless it does it at their place and they can put the computer on it.