Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Neat review, let us know how the purchase goes!

~alpha
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The link to Avalon Prices Paid is available to the left in "Helpful Links".

As to why Edmunds does not yet have pricing info...we strive to release information on new vehicles as soon as possible. However, we don’t launch pages for new makes or models in the New Vehicles section of our site until we have sufficient information, including the vehicle’s suggested retail price and invoice price.

Also, as this vehicle has now been released, it technically is no longer a "future model". Therefore, any further discussion of the 2005 should be moving to the Sedans Toyota Avalon topic.

And I also hope to see many of the new Avalon owners soon posting in all of the Avalon Owners topics. :-)
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Yes I do work for a Toyota dealer but keep my posts to informing the Edmund's community and not for personal gain such as solicitation of business. This has brought me many years of personal satisfaction and made my life richer as I've gotten to know some of the members here personally and you guys are a great bunch of people. Sometimes we agree to disagree and that is perfectly ok. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my knowledge.

: )

Mackabee

PS as long as I can remember the model number codes for the Avalon have always been 3534 for XL 3544 for XLS, and now we have 3538 for Touring and 3554 for Limited.
  • Options
    williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    Night before last I drove a Touring, in Cassis Red, at Kay Jennings Springfield Toy. (DC area folks will know it). I enjoyed the ride, noted the relative light feel of some of the interior parts, admired the Parkway performance, and tested the comfort of the reclining rear seats. But when I got back in my salt-covered 02 XL I was struck by how heavy and luxurious it felt to drive as compared with the Touring. As a result I started to think about finding a loaded 04, to get some features I want with the ride I admire (I can drive 12 hours in the 02 and emerge without feeling road-weary the way my 92 Camry used to beat me up).

At the urging of a friend I even checked a local Lexus dealer for a used one of those cars to test.

So last night I went back to Kay Jennings to see the 3 remaining 04s that their website listed. My salesman told me the website was out of date and no 04s remained. So I decided to drive an XLS, to see if there was any discernable difference (the only Limited they got so far was sold right away).

My perception was that the XLS has all the road feel I cherish in my 02 XL, and of course many of the gadgets and features that I missed. And I am starting to like the little light-weight doors over the radio and tape deck, even though there is nothing so light feeling in the 02 (could it be that much more expensive to make them of metal instead of plastic?). So my impression, which held after I got back in my own car, is that the XLS will be a wonderful step up. Personally I will wait until I have just a little leverage on the price--the salesman suggests September--but I think that will be my car. Of course I haven't seen the Limited yet...

On the interior wood--the "birch" looks really cheap, but the darker color is rich and warm, in my view. Cassis Red is a respectable shade for an old guy like me (66) if you really want red, but the Phantom Gray is very dressy! I look forward to seeing that green color, just in case I like it.

I'd like to add that I too thank Mackabee for being here and telling us some things about the real world of the automobile trade.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I'm finding it hard to get a price below MSRP in the DC area. FitzMall is only running about 300 under for a LTD, they are running 2,000 over list for the XLSs.

MikeS.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "

The link to Avalon Prices Paid is available to the left in "Helpful Links". "

Unfortunately it hasn't had any post for several months.

All the current traffic seems to be right here.
  • Options
    mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    Would it be possible to set up a new board "Toyota Avalon, 2005-"?

Not to be lazy (ok, I am, but...) I don't need to know how one would replace the subwoofer on a '98 model, just like they don't need to talk about how my laser cruise control sets off the neighbor's security system when I drive by.

Everything on this board relates to the current generation car, which is all I'm interested in, and I'm guessing that holds true for most of the others, as well. Could this board just be retitled?

Just a thought.
  • Options
    williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    I would be astounded if you got any DC area dealer to charge less than MSRP this month, and I doubt it will happen much for a while after that. Even though the vehicles are rolling in, there is also much interest in them. Just be glad they aren't asking for $2000 over.
  • Options
    IRT Kay Jennings Toyota, I have a friend that works in their finance department. I actually met him in Atlantic city at a Toyota function after we both dispensed buying advice to folks on other boards. He posts here also although I haven't seen any of his posts lately. Cliffy1 is his user name. He's a lot like me as far as our knowledge of Toyota is concerned and also a very competent person at what he does.

Mackabee
  • Options
    wiktor256wiktor256 Member Posts: 12
    Toyota.com has finally updated their site to show the new Avalon.

www.toyota.com
  • Options
    I realize it hasn't been active. However, that is because most everyone has been waiting for the new model. I'm sure it will soon begin to buzz. Also, the Prices Paid board is the one of the first places that new people to our Forums visit. If all the pricing info is listed here, it wouldn't be useful for the majority of the members.
  • Options
    No, I can't rename this one as it lives in the Owners area and is specifically for future model discussion.

I will ask the Sedans host about an adjusted title on that board.
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Mikes I spent a considerable amount of time in my XLS new 2005 Avalon this morning. All I can say is WOW! I kept my emotions controlled until I really spent some time with this car. I love it it more then the 2004. When I first went into this new car, I also wondered about some of the amenities they took away before thinking of what they gave you back. All I can say is that I have learned from this experience. That is YOU Can't COMPARE THE VEHICLE YOU HAVE COME TO KNOW. This new one has it all over my 2004. I love the doors over the radio and cassette player etc.I am very happy with the overall design. The seats are just as comfortable as the 04. You have to take time to sit in this car to really appreciate it. There are two separate deep hidden storage compartments on the console under the arm rest and near the shifter that overall with the new door pull out storage compartment there is more room to store things then on the 04. I didn't realize this and discovered it this morning, so they didn't overlook this. Once again the rear has so much space, more then ample for large people. The rear seats when reclining them doesn't make any noise or cardboard sound that someone posted here. When I pulled out the steering wheel and set my seat all the back to the rear, it seems like I have more leg room then my 04 even though according to the brochure it's about an inch less. IMHO, it is more room and perhaps they have to re-measure it, it certainly seems like I am further away from the dash and my legs are comfortably stretched. This is one beautiful automobile and believe me or not I am not being biased. The ride blew me out of the water this time, it's as quiet as the 04 if not quieter. I am one happy camper. My dealer sold 15 off of a touring model he has, three of them are limited sales. So people are buying this car and I think anyone who gets a deal under the MSRP is doing well. I'm happy I made my deal before there was a car on the lot. I don't think they would have given me the same deal now seeing the sales, no matter how much my sales manager wanted me back. Whoever said the doors are thin on this board is wrong, they are just as heavy as before and have that nice sound when closing them. I can honestly say now to anyone who has purchased this car and hasn't driven it yet, or seen it, TRUST ME, YOU WILL BE HAPPY AS I AM. IT'S A LOT OF CAR FOR WHAT IT COST. Good luck. Having read some of the nit picking here I had my moments, but now am totally satisfied.
  • Options
    I seem to recall that the previous generation had one or two 110 volt plugs (like in your house) in the center console.

Does the new generation have this?
  • Options
    future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    I test drove the XLS today, and I am very disappointed. The Avalon looked better in the pictures than in person. I am desperately trying not to type the word that starts with a "U". The low roof, small windows, and awkward back end just don't do it for me. I know, I know, you will say something about the eye of the beholder, but let me tell you something -- there is such a thing as universal beauty that appeals to everyone. Show a Martian the Camry and the new Avalon, and he will go for the former, without a doubt. The Avalon looks like its designer was in the middle of sketching it, and somebody stopped by and said, "That's enough, it's going into production exactly like this." The result is that the Avalon is very oddly proportioned, both inside and the outside.

Inside, the "wood grain" is decidedly fake. It looks like a miserably failed attempt to make a high-end plastic look like wood. At the Lexus ES330 price, the Avalon doesn't feel nearly as luxurious. The reclining back seat and the extra back space is nice, but there is not enough head room in the back (and I am only 5'10"). The front head room is also a miss -- I have much more in my wife's Honda Civic.

The biggest disappointment is the horrific throttle response. Whenever I pressed the accelerator, it took about full second before the engine responded. It gets even worse: since you are not sure if you are pressing hard enough (since there is no response), you push even more, and then you get more power than you intended to get. It feels like you are not in charge of the vehicle -- it responds when it feels like it.

The seats and the ride are comfortable, but road noise is another disappointment. When I drove the 04 Avalon, I was very impressed how smooth and quiet it was. Despite all the '05 reviews that I saw, I firmly believe that the 05 Avalon is noiser and rougher than its 04 predecessor. There is certainly more power, and you can feel it, and perhaps more sporty feel, but it seemed to me that these improvements were done at the cost of the decreased ride quality. The shifting was smooth, but noticible. I also felt some instability when breaking with slightly higher than normal intensity.

I drove the Camry XLE V6 right after the Avalon, just to compare the two. I think the likely price to pay for the fully loaded Camry XLE V6 with Nav is $26,000. The likely price for the loaded Avalon XLS with Nav is about $9,000 more (and believe it or not, the Camry would be equipped better than the Avalon). I would pay maybe $2000 more for the Avalon (over the Camry price) for the extra engine power. Anything more than that is not making sense to me.

If you have some friends with extra long legs and no heads, it's nice to throw them on the back seats. Plus, with the acceleration of 0 to 60 in 6.6 seconds, you'll probably win a few races in downtown. As for me, I am along in my car 99% of the time, and I care less if some Ferrary passes me when I go 80mph on the highway.

I am going with the 2005 Lexus ES330, and finally I know that I am making the right decision.
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I just looked at an avalon, a decked out xls. Didn't have a chance to drive though. I liked it. I'm not doing backflips or anything, but I liked it overall. It seemed like a very nice, substantial sized car, which I like. However, I wouldn't pay the $36k they wanted for the one they had. In that range, I would go over to a lexus, likely. I look forward to seeing a touring though, which at $26-27k might be sufficient to pull me into an avalon, over what else I can get for that.
  • Options
    tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    I love this car more than yesterday. No squeeks on the reclining seats or power shade.

Amazing space. Love the storage bins described above.

The wood looks like every other fake wood, and even like the real wood in my aurora. I agree the blonde color is different, but I like it.

The side view is not the best angle. I agree the back window is like a Magnum, the front like a Toyota. BUT the rear windows go all the way down, none of my recent cars or suvs had this. My Limited is black and that hides the lines on the side better, and gives it a stretched liked look.

I love the front view in black, hot. Rear is nice, will be better with the lip spoiler next week.

Ride is a dream, NO hesitation in my tranny, and smooth.

My dealer would have given me $1000 off. Instead they let me sell my Denali through them at a $2000 higher price than trade in - Saving me $900 in taxes, and they threw in a spoiler $299 and an oil change and winter mats.

Overall, at this price the Acura TL is the only close car, and they are simple diffeent

Off to drive it again.
  • Options
    "The low roof, small windows, and awkward back end" I haven't the slightest idea of what your talking about. For a six footer in the ES330 his legs will be hugging the front seat, his head touching the interior roof and so on. Less power etc. You could always criticize something, and that is your right but one has to be objective and not see what isn't there. I have driven my 2004 since December of 03 and I don't find the new 2005 any nosier or rougher, in fact maybe somewhat quieter. So I don't know if your seeing what you want to see or what? There is more headroom and leg room in the Avalon then the ES330, so here you are critical of something that has ample room for a six footer plus for the Avalon and not true of the ES330.

"Show a Martian the Camry and the new Avalon, and he will go for the former, without a doubt". That's your opinion, certainly not mine. I would never make such a statement. The Avalon from my perspective and many who are purchasing it love the design over the 04 and the Camry. The ES330 is nicely designed but not special, and that is just my opinion. I normally don't react this way, but when someone is so certain of himself when it's only his opinion which he has the right to and states it as a fact, I just thought I would set the record straight. I met a man today who also bought the XLS and he loves it and says it's quieter then the 03 he traded. It seems to me you want a name plate for status and have to find a reason to beat on something that isn't true. Good luck.
  • Options
    Your post borders on funny. You find the throttle response of the Avalon deplorable, and yet you've decided to go with the ES330. VERY curious indeed.

~alpha
  • Options
    autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    The Birch (Most likely immitated Golden Bird's Eye Maple) doesn't attract everybody. Personally, I would like Toyota to offer any color with any combination. Black Leather and Birch Wood would make a VERY beutiful interior, imo. Ivory and Light Grey should go for Rosewood-like wood instead.

That said, I've seen pictures of the Limited interior with Ivory in Birch and Rosewood so maybe we can choose. Let me check whether graphite can be had on the Limited. I would get a Limited with Black Leather with Birch wood.
  • Options
    ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    I agree that owners of different models seldom have a lot to share.

On some car forums, they group by "platform". Ie the B4(??-97), B5(98-04) and B6(05+) forums for the Passat.
  • Options
    Your friendly neighborhood hosts put our heads together and have come up with this solution, which should make everyone happy. We hope. :-)

We will be changing the title to this topic to "Toyota Avalon 2005+". However, the entire discussion will be moving over to Sedans. So you might want to subscribe to it now before the move later tomorrow. The current Toyota Avalon discussion in Sedans will be edited to reflect it is for older Avalon models.

Your host in Sedans will be Pat, but I hope you do come back to Avalon Owners and visit!
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    After a short hunt I found a black XLS here in Atlanta. Nice car. To avoid a long post I will simply give it a 9.5 overall on a 10 scale. Most of the shortcomings have been found already: trunk got smaller, body larger; no side door ding protection; somewhat high price for a fully loaded model; etc. Despite all this, the car stays on my list for '06. Probably the XLS model. My '03 XL still has under 50k miles on it so it will last a while longer.

Nothing is perfect but this is a much better car than the previous generation, all things considered. If it holds up in everyday driving as Toyotas are famous for, it's a winner.

And to those of you who are buying now, keep us informed about all your experiences, good and bad. Real world usage is the best test for any car.
  • Options
    "Your post borders on funny."

Hey, I am glad someone appreciates my sense of humor. You must be 75, just like I am -- it takes a long time to figure out what's really funny around you.

"You find the throttle response of the Avalon deplorable, and yet you've decided to go with the ES330. VERY curious indeed."

It does sound counterintuitive, but it really does make sense: the ES330 has a throttle problem, but the 05 Avalon has an even bigger throttle problem, from what I experienced today. One of my original motivations for going with the 05 Avalon was the expectation that the "high-performance flagship" would address this problem, thereby making the Avalon more attractive. Now that it's clear that this expectation didn't materialize, the Avalon went down on my value scale.

And the adjective that you chose to paraphrase me ("deplorable") is indeed the right word to describe the new Avalon's throttle. I bet you $250 that you will see the various synonyms of that popping up in the future reviews (professional or amateur) of the Avalon.
  • Options
    Future, I have not had the chance to drive this car yet but so far everyone at our dealership that has driven the Limited and the Touring rave about its performance. I believe we got an XLS in today or maybe tomorrow. I don't know since I'm off today and tomorrow. : ) Sorry about the redundancy there. This car will not be everything to everybody and it's not meant to be. Some people see the value and others don't. Enjoy your ES330, although you may want to wait for the 2006 ES. Who knows what Lexus/Toyota has in mind for it.

Mackabee
  • Options
    You have experience on your side, no doubt, and the beauty of this country is choice. I wish you well with the ES330, but I still dont exactly understand why the issue would be more pronounced in the new Avalon. I'm not a betting man (YET- I have no money and plenty of student loans at 23), but yours to date is the only one Ive seen that has felt as strongly about the Avalon transmission.

As usual, mack is right- no car is all things to everyone.

And Toyota will be very happy that you are still choosing one of their products- you'll also be getting the more attractive interior, better looking alloys, a longer warranty and better dealer service.

Good luck!

~alpha
  • Options
    mackabee: I have not had the chance to drive this car yet but so far everyone at our dealership that has driven the Limited and the Touring rave about its performance.

I believe you. However, the way I operate is by trust in my own experience, regardless of what other people say. I just reported what I saw and felt -- and that's the only truth to me. The fact that most people are impressed with the Avalon means just that -- I am not on the same page with them.

But in the insane world, wouldn't the sane person seem insane? :-) That's what I really think -- you folks have gone mad over that Avalon. Either that, or I have the Alzheimer's disease.
  • Options
    Future, your experience is well taken. Other people have experiences as well, and from it we base our opinions. Opinions are just that, not facts, although to the individual it seems like a fact. Your comments about Martians versus the Camry/Avalon, wasn't based on experience but rather your opinion. Your opinions should be valued just like anyone else's, but it doesn't mean it's right. This has nothing to do with sane or insane although your right, someone sane could be considered insane in an insane world and vice versa. The point is your experience driving the Avalon and saying the throttle hesitates might be true based on your driving the car, yet at the same time it might not be a big issue with someone else, and yet others here who posted didn't feel that at all, perhaps because they may not be as perceptive as you or put the car through the same test. It's your speaking about your concept of what is ugly or beautiful is pure speculation on your part. It is however a fact that a person taller then you has plenty of room in the rear, I am just such a person. The rear of a car was always part of my overall buying decision since I always cared about my passengers and always hated sitting in back of a car where my knees touched the seats in front or I had to pull them back or to the side. No such problem in the Avalon yet you alluded to that which is not a fact, and how could that even be your opinion when the rear of the car has more than ample room and again that is a fact and just the opposite in the ES330 even though you alluded to driving mostly alone so the rear isn't important to you. The point is to keep things fair and honest, trying to destroy something that is nice even though you have another opinion isn't the right way to present anything by tearing something apart just because one feels that way. That is not being honest. The ES330 is a very nice car, and that is my honest opinion as well as the AcuraRL. So is the new Ford 500 a nice car and I think it also has a nice look to it, again just my opinion. There is a car made for everyone, each individual has to decide what is best for them, tearing apart other cars just because it doesn't fit within ones picture of their needs is self defeating. Shopping for a car should be based on what one feels best serves their purpose. If one needs a large trunk for a big family that is always traveling then he has to make his decision on that even if he honestly would rather have another car but realizes it won't work well for his family, etc etc. Good luck with the ES330, it is a fine automobile and you will enjoy it. I wish you luck and all the Avalon buyers and any other individual for whatever car they buy. Everyone reaches his decision in his own way. Some people never do any research and buy a car on looks even though they haven't the faintest idea of it's quality, engine or anything else, and to them I also wish them the best of luck.
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    In my view, the new Av is worth a hard look in every respect by anyone seeking a car in that price range.

It's typically Avalon, and typically Toyota-quiet and refined, fit and finish is excellent, it drives and handles nicely, and the look is understated but just fine IMO.

For the record, there was absolutely NO delayed throttle response. Hit it, and it GOES!!

Boys oh Boys, does it go. The higher HP this year is quite the change from the older Avs, and they were no slouch either.

I would give it as close to a "Ten" as you can get!

In my view, pay little attention to Trash Talkers who probably don't like anything very much anyway, go see for yourselves!
  • Options
    coug2coug2 Member Posts: 34
    I hope that folks, like future1, who are not impressed with the car continue to post their opinions. I read this board for information...not because I want to read an "avalon fan club" forumn. And information includes the opinions of those who are not thrilled with the car.
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I don't know if "trash talker" was a swipe at future1 or not but I will say from his many posts here and his establishing a "link" that embraced multiple Avalon facets he was as enthused as anyone about the Avalon, and if it did anything for him it made him a younger man, he was 85 back on 2/2 in post 1277 and just yesterday in post 1465 he was 75 so in his case his enthusiasm paid off :-)
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I gotta believe that you are kiddin with the laser thing and the security system. I gotta this. Tell me it ain't so.

abfisch
  • Options
    TASSO:

IF YOU LIVE IN A SNOW ENVIRONMENT, I WOULD TALK YOU OUT OF THE SPOILER FOR MANY REASONS BUT ESPECIALLY IF THEY DO NOT HAVE PREDRILLED HOLES WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO. IT ALSO CAN CUT DOWN ON VISIBILITY, MAKES THE TRUNK LID HEAVIER, ETC.
  • Options
    MACKABEE:

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME, FROM WHERE IN THE PARTS BIN THEN, ARE THEY GETTING THE TOURING TRIM'S STRUTS, AND OTHER DIFFERENT PARTS. DID THEY CHANGE THE DIAMETER OR THE SWAY BAR IN FRONT, BUSINGS IN THE FRONT CONTROL ARMS, ETC. WHAT IS THEIR MEANING OF "SPORTS TUNED SUSPENSION" IN THIS MODEL????? MY GUESS IS THAT THEY TOOK IT FROM THE CAMRY SE MODEL.

ABFISCH
  • Options
    3 things.

1. Yes, abfisch, I was joking. I was just trying to come up with examples of what the owner of an older Avalon might have to deal with vs. the owner of a current one. Tried to inject a little humor. Though, that might be really funny if it did happen. At least the first couple times. :) Which leads me to:

2. Thank you moderators, for setting up an "Avalon 2005+" board.

3. Hey, Tasso, Mackabee or someone else with hands-on access, are there any 110 electric outlets in this car? I know the old one had one at the bottom of the center storage bin between the front seats, but have not heard about this generation. It would be nice if I didn't have to use an inverter for those things not meant exclusively for automotive use.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Just read this post on the Sienna Board and thought I should share it. There doesn't seem to be any one second lag on the shifting here.

"Another nice benefit to the new 3.5 is the new transmission that goes along with it. I just read a review on the Avalon and it was very positive:"

"Matched to the new V-6 is a five-speed automatic transaxle featuring extensive electronic controls including variable torque converter control and a sequential sport mode — its shifts can only be detected by trained technicians using advanced magnetic resonance imaging....... The engine is spooky smooth, velvety in its power delivery, and dang near silent in operation while the transmission’s ratios seem perfectly chosen.....This is simply the most powerful, quietest and smoothest drivetrain Toyota has ever installed in a front-drive automobile and clearly superior to that in other “near luxury” machines."
  • Options
    This discussion has been edited and moved to Sedans.
  • Options
    OK. I gotta say something in regards to wood trim, or faux or fake wood trim. I am not sure what year, the manufacturers sold you people that it looks nice, but some of us, never got sold. Especially when you are paying for plastic, which is already on the car. One of the turnoffs for the old XLS, and a reason out of many, was I got the non FuFu edtion. The quality of the plastic, metal, and leather were a superior grade to most cars costing 27K. Fake wood, and it is fake, IMO (in my opinion) has no place in a top model car. Real wood, and you are paying for it, in place of the good plastic, might be for those who have to have it. But paying for the fake stuff, come on adults.

Give me better brakes, better suspension, a trailer hitch, throw in SAT radio in all models, better struts, a remote car starter, but don't ask me to pay for fake wood, no matter how good it looks. It is fake!!!! And you paid for it.

Shame on some of you. Who would know, with all that extra horsepower, where in the RPM range you get it (how many of you get the car up over 3500 RPM on a consitent basis, and did Toyota put in the same size calipers and rotors (discs) as the present Camry. Or are they a part number exclusive for the Avalon. Chances are, they are the same part number as the Camry and ES 330. So.. do that mean the car's performance in relation to its braking capacity is diminished???? Someone going find out, when they go to fast and cannot stop in time.

Critics welcome. If you need a car, it seems like a good one, especially the XL or touring. "just because they make, doesn't mean you need it."

abfisch

abfisch
  • Options
    I dont understand this post at all.

The Avalon 3.5L makes its peak hp and torque fairly high on the RPM- but since the level of peak is high anyway, theres plenty going on in terms of power and torque below 3500 RPM. This isnt the 4 banger in the Honda S2000. Toyota seems to have mitigated torque steer issues, as I have not read anything about this, while still maintaining a strong acceleration profile.

"and did Toyota put in the same size calipers and rotors (discs) as the present Camry. Or are they a part number exclusive for the Avalon. Chances are, they are the same part number as the Camry and ES 330."

I cannot check right now, but I'm pretty sure the front and rear discs are different, as I believe the Avalon fronts are 11.8 in in diameter. I dont think you should speculate that people won't be able to stop in the Avalon when we have not yet seen instrumented testing and you yourself do not have the data on the parts used in front of you.

~alpha
  • Options
    Alpha01:

That is exactly why I asked. I did not mean to speculate. But before anyone gets all emotional about a new model, with all the new Horsepower and all new and latest and greatest, one should be more critical of all its more important components so as what a car actually does. They certainly boost the new hp ratings. Being pretty sure front diameter are a certain numrical value, and being sure are too different things. In addition, it being the same part number as another Toyota model would quickly elude to the fact that it is the same ole part.

A car's balance should be it can get up and down to speed in a similar fashion. The prior Avalon had some braking issues. Hopefully, this one will not. Many other new model years, including the Honda Accord and Subaru Outback, had similar issues. Look at the past posts.

You would be best to address all comers on this forum, for praise and critical analysis of this new vehcile.

abfisch
  • Options
    Abfish, I respect your thoughts and opinions, but what I'm saying is that when you make nebulous statements like

"Being pretty sure front diameter are a certain numrical value, and being sure are too different things."

its hard to understand what you mean. In my book, "sure" and "certain" are the same thing.

Also, I dont think we need your condemation. Saying things like "Shame on some of you" isnt exactly the best way to ask your question, if its actually a response you want and you're not looking to assail people, which is how it seemed.

~alpha
  • Options
    homer173503homer173503 Member Posts: 2
    I wonder what the Toyota engineers were thinking when the planned the 2005 Avalon. Lets take a great car with a fine reputation and make it into something that can extract more $$$ from our loyal customers and Avalon lovers. What happened to the automatic seat memory on the XLS?

No door guards, and do we really need another vehicle that requires premium fuel in this price range, for that matter, Why would they develope a COMPACT truck (Tacoma) that requires premium fuel. What are they thinking
  • Options
    Every car manufacturer gives options to try and make more profit, that is known as captalism. Door guards, my other three Avalons never came with door guards. Premium fuel, it is recommended, it is not required read earlier posts or call Toyota at 1800-Go-Toyota and get the facts. Anmazing how people like to tear things apart without any reason at all.
  • Options
    rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    Today I test drove an Avalon XLS with navigation. The exterior color was black with a gray interior. Also on the lot was a model with silver exterior and ivory interior color. The ivory interior had the blonde wood trim which somehow didn’t look quite right to me. The gray interior had the darker wood trim which I thought looked better.

The dealer test circuit did not include highway driving but the acceleration of the car seemed quite quick and the transmission was very smooth. Immediately before driving the Avalon, I test drove a Camry XLE V6 over the same circuit and the transmission was noticeable smoother in the Avalon. I did not feel any hesitation on acceleration as reported earlier on this board.

The car is very roomy inside and the reclining rear seats offer additional comfort to those in the rear.

I didn’t spend much time with the navigation unit so I can’t report accurately how easy or difficult it is to use. The salesman knew exactly how to work it but I’m not sure how long he had to study the manual to gain that level of fluency. It did not appear to be a system one could work without some study of the manual.

I asked the dealer (in Florida) for a price quote on a Limited model (not in stock) with navigation, laser cruise, and stability control. The price was 40,300. MSRP was 37,300 (includes options, transportation), plus the dreaded 3,000 market adjustment price. I said “no, thanks” and there was talk of reducing the market adjustment by 1,000 or 2,000. I can wait.
  • Options
    oldgrumpyoldgrumpy Member Posts: 11
    My Toyota dealer, a one price dealer which I have purchased several Toyota from, has a few Avalons in and is discounting them. Check Jim Barkley Toyota. ( Asheville North Carolina ) They list the discounted prices on their web site and are great to deal with.
  • Options
    dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Have you ever seen real wood that has been in a car in Texas for 6 years. it is crcked all the way through and looks terrible. The wood goes from 75 degrees when the car is driving to 130 degrees when the car is sitting for 8 hours in the sun. The 96 models had real wood and when the are coming back now they look terrible. Toyota wantsto build cars that lasta long time and real wood just doesn't last.
  • Options
    cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Good post. Excellent dealer web site, with discounted prices on the 2005's.
  • Options
    Wouldn't today's modern real wood have some sort of UV-protection coating on it?
  • Options
    ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    I think the gentleman from TX was more concerned by heat damage than UV. Probably rightly so.
  • Options
    Oh, say dried to the point of cracking. But wouldn't everything be sealed? Or atleast I think it should...