Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• minsnowminsnow Member Posts: 6
    Went to Toyota this morning to check the new Avalon. Big disappointment inside especially the silvery, plasticy covers for the radio, cupholders ,..., the white buttons on the side: looks cheap and flimsy. The wood trim color on the limited appalling: vomitrocious.

Trunk is definitively small (like my Honda Civic's) Reclining of the back seat is a joke (one inch at most)

Otherwise drive is smooth, silent as expected from a Toyota sedan. Very comfortable

Price are out of reason when I compare to an Acura TL with Navi at 34k$ with much better finish, touchscreen navigation system,....
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Mikes, thanks for the update and happy motoring. My XLS doesn't have the nav system or laser, and I won't miss it. I don't think I would like my car slowing up if a truck pulls into my lane, I want to b e alert to control that even though I understand the logic and safety feature behind that. When I'm tired I don't use the cruise control realizing I might fall asleep, this way I can just pull over and get 15 minutes eye rest which is all I need, than back to cruise control. I love the controls on the steering wheel, something also additional over the 04 and I don't have to reach for the changing of stations. The other thing we forgot to mention Mike is the sliding arm rest, isn't that cool, a really nice place to keep the arm when extended and it seems to be really built this time for my arm, perhaps it's slightly higher. They thought of everything, just another plus. Mapquest is good enough for me after all these years of driving with just a regular map. If I were a wealthy man maybe I would think otherwise, but even than just as a toy, because even than I don't need it since my trips are basically to the same place over and over again. Anyway, what is your overall opinion of the handling of the car, engine lag etc., without considering the Nav or laser. I'm extremely happy with mine even more so than my 04. It seems to handle better perhaps because of the larger wheel base and the 17inch tires?? The power is OH BOY, I have to be careful to stay in legal limits, my car just wants to go. I don't sense any lag, how about you. Thanks Mikes, I look forward to your response.
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    I agree the silver covers are not my favorite, they fingerprint easy. BUT they are not cheap you guys, just light feeling. The white buttons grow on you at night they are different but cool. And do not feel cheap. But I see your points.

Just for the record I reclined my seats just a little over 3 inches in travel, not 1. You do have to push a little to get them all the way back. And as the recline, obviously the headrest region will travel further than the bottom of the back, as the top of the arch has to travel further. But mid seat it is about 3 inhes.
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    pmcb48,

Yes, there is a small black box that was placed on the passenger side of the trunk lid for the XM Radio. It is about 2" square and 1" high. The cable runs over the side edge and then down the trunk hinge. This is the one thing that I am not happy about with my new Avalon - the placement and look of this little black box. When I negotiated the deal, I did not confirm with the dealership where the black box would go on the car and just learned of it's placement when I took delivery. I knew there was a need for a black box, but I assumed it would be placed at the middle rear of the trunk lid, which it was not. When I took delivery, I questioned the placement and my salesman said "that is where Toyota told us it should go on the new Avalon". They even sent a template to show the dealer where it should go. I am going to go back to the dealer next week and ask them to relocate it to the center rear of the trunk so at least there is some symetry to the trunk lid.

Here are some pictures I took this afternoon so you can see for yourself:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/1.jpg

I love the XM service, as I previously had it on a 2002 Chevy Tahoe, which I don't have any more. I took the Tahoe from Iowa to Phoenix in Nov. 2002, and enjoyed uninterupted XM Radio reception the entire trip. All kinds of commercial free music, news, comedy, sports, etc, all for only $9.95 per month.

I chose the Desert Sand Mica again, as it does not show dirt and always looks classy.

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I will reply.
  • everesteverest Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if for the 2006 model year Toyota would offer VSC on the Touring trim? With the touring trim admittedly more sporty doesn't it make sense for it to get VSC?

It is offering VSC on all Camry trim levels!
    Wow, I have to admit if it has to be outside, it should be in the center of the trunk at the rear near the windshield. Seeing this now, I'm happy I didn't get the satellite radio. Good luck, hope they move it back for you.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    It does look a bit awkward. Maybe they should place it near the windshield as "Just me" is suggesting.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    Now, now, no need to hide the rest of that beauty away from us. Any pics of the rest of the exterior and interior.

Regarding the XM reciever. It would look much better in the center or on the roof top without any ugly wires but that's impossible. Center trunk will be best.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    2 rear shots too dark, but closeups were good. I agree that the box would take some getting used to, and center rear would be better than right middle edge. Best would be center above rear window. I wonder where the factory install placement (coming in 2006) will be. Hope you do get it changed. Thanks for taking the pictures.

It is interesting that you and another poster who are 6'4" or more think there is plenty of front and rear headroom, and a couple of 6'1" people don't.

I am torn between desert sand mica (have had 3 cars that or similar color) vs mirage blue. Had you considered any other colors?
    Mirage Blue Metallic, a light blue that is a bit darker compared to other cars. A very classic color with the chrome on my Sienna and I can only imagine it should look as well on the Avalon. Hides dirt very well and in fact, if your car hasn't been driven through snow, it should look clean even with dried rain on it.

I personally go with Indigo Blue or just plain black which looks sharp on the Avalon.

Anybody know if we can have Birch with Graphite Leather? My favorite combo on the Black Exterior.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Anyone notice any torque steer on rapid acceleration on the new Avalon?
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    I didnt even read your post about the placement of the XM sat receiver, I just looked at the pictures.

And the first thing out of my mouth was, "They put it THERE?!!". You should tell the dealer that they should be ashamed of themselves. Template Shmemptlet. They should have a little common sense.

That is such a stupid place to put it, it almost makes me mad.

I'm glad that you are going to have them fix it, and you didn't just go along with it.

Why didn't they just mount it to the middle to the driver's door? Or how about the middle of the hood? Perhaps on the alloy wheels? Sheesh...

P.S.-Nice Corvette :) (I can see a sliver of it in the pictures!)
  • wiktor256wiktor256 Member Posts: 12
    I was concerned about the placement of this box myself. The dealer assured me that the box can be mounted on top of the roof above the rear windshield. Also, the box can be color matched to the rest of the exterior paint. Based on this info I ordered the XM radio, however he will call me back on Monday with the installation details.

Wiktor
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I just test drove a Limited this afternoon. Did about a 25 minute test drive. I noticed no torque steer at all and I punched it good several times on the freeway, was topping 80 before I knew it. Also put the hammer down from a couple of stop signs. A very sweet car. My Limited in Phantom Gray with Graphite interior will be here this week.
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    QUESTION: Anyone know if you get an XL model with Dealer Installed Fog Lamps??
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Looking at the front lower grille assembly of the XL it appears there is no place for the lamps as on the other models, (no knockout panels), this in and of itself would be the biggest deterrent and require customizing which is not something the dealer will ordinarily get involved with.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Can't recall the source, but my understanding is that Birch only comes with Ivory or Light Gray interior. Dark wood with Dark Gray, so would presume also with Graphite. What color interior did you get with your Mirage Blue Metallic Sienna?
    I have my doubts about that Little John, if they do that it would probably cost a bit much.
    I originally ordered Stratosphere Mica (Closest to Avalon's Indigo Blue). Strat comes with only Light Grey. I didn't mind it.

Weeks went by with no Strat Limited on the spot so the dealer offered the Mirage Blue Metallic I have now. It was availabe with Ivory and Light Gray. I never inquired the interior color but the one I got was Light Grey.

Would have preferred Ivory but I don't mind the grey either.

Birch with Black would look great (atleast I think seeing the Ivory interior of the SC430 with black and birch steering wheel with black dash)

Actually I like if they let us the consumers choose what we desire.
  • tapandtapand Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mike, Either you have a short height from hip to the top of head or I have a long body with short legs. Since I want to stay with Toyota Avalon XLS because of low maintainence cost I will be the driver all the time.

Did anyone had problem with their rear disc brakes rusting out like my previous Avalons ? I never had that problem with Cressidas that were built in Japan.
    If all things were equal, there was a mounting position for the fog lights, you would still incurr considerable expense if you wanted OEM equipment which would require;

(1) the wiring harness to be the same as in the

other models to accomodate the lights.

(2) headlight stalk switch which has a fog light

switch built in.

(3) you would need the required relay.

(4) and of course the fog lights themselves.

I can comfortably say you are looking at over $650 msrp in parts. In this situation installation labor would not be terrible as conditions are ideal but if you use any other method it then becomes labor intensive $$$..
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Stopped by my local dealer and picked up free tickets to the Chicago Auto Show. They still had their 2 Avalons (an XLS and a Limited) that they have had for more than a week now. They said iterest really has not been very high. They are giving rides in the XLS but are keeping the Limited with no mileage.

Went to the Chicago Auto Show and there just weren't large crowds around the Avalon at all. They had a Blizzard Pearl Limited on the turntable and several other Avalon's on the floor to climb in and out of and kick the tires.

I finally got an actual brochure as well. The brochure sure does not do anything to sell this car. I think Toyota had better look at some other company to design their brochures.

I'll stick with my comments of last week. This vehicle just isn't a "got to have" vehicle. Hopefully by 2006 or 2007 they will have corrected a few of the faults (no side molding, not VSC on the XL & Touring) and it will be more appealing to me. Until then, I am certainly happy with my 2004 Camry.
    I just inked a deal on a Phantom Gray with Graphite interior, traction control, remote start and carpeted floor mats. MSRP was $35,428. I got $600 off MSRP and they gave me about $900 over book on my 01 Avalon. Not the best deal but considering it's a new model and all I'm satisfied. It's already in transit and scheduled to arrive this week.
    If they were prepared to give you more off of the MSRP do you think you would have still gotten $900 over book on your trade-in? What did you contemplate the dealer giving you on your trade-in before you walked through the door? In answering these questions maybe your deal looks better. Good luck!
    a little trivia regarding the actual brochure, if it is the same one I received (White Avalon on cover) it appears to me the car is not the production model as the grille (lower portion) does not match any of the production models.
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Well. Two members of church came out and uninvited commented on how much they liked it and noticed it when they pulled up. The dealer here has had 6-7 people stop in looking to see one, but I own the only one in town so far.

Overall, still amazed with this thing. In black with ivory and birch it is lexus like. But more importantly very very nice inside.

The smart key works without touching the buttons 99% of the time. BUT the peripheral lights do not always, actually rarely, turn on when you approach the car. Even when they do, even though the look xenon blue, the do not light up until you are standing next to the car, a little to late to look for a puddle, but at least you can check the interior.

Getting 18 mpg in town, love that. NO hesitation NO torque steer.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I went back again to se the 2005 XLS, like a shark circling in on it's prey... I have a 2002 and the lease is almost up, so I'm planning my next lease/purchase. I noticed that there are a few areas that Toyota have skimped on, in comparison with my 2002. The previously mentioned sunvisor omissions, hard plastic on the rear parcel shelf instead of carpet, no enclosed cup holders or storage container in the rear seat armrest (except in the Limited), however all in all I am absolutely amazed that Toyota can offer so much car with so much engine and so many quality features for the price. It really makes you wonder about their marketing strategy though. The XL kills the Camry XLE V6, the XLS and Limited kill the ES330, and the Avalon has a larger engine than the new GS300 for less money. In addition, it is a 99% LS430 for 20K less. Anyway, I offered the dealer invoice and of course he just laughed, but he did ask to take take down my name and number and said that he would call me in 3 or 4 months when plenty inventory is available. They expect to discount the Avalon once the initial rush is over.

Other than that, WOW! What a car, but I'll wait a few months and save a few thousand.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Thanks to all of you that have posted your hands on comments. I drove my 96 Avalon yesterday and was still impressed the with room, ride, and quiet (my daughter drives the car normally). Today I test drove a new Limited.

It felt like I was driving my old Avalon (good). Nothing exciting, not much 'feel,' but a lot more go when needed. I checked head room front and back. Less than my 96 XLS. Front seat all the way down gave plenty of head room in front, but my head just brushed the roof in back - unless the rear seat was reclined (not comfortable for me). I'm 5'10", long torso, short legs. My 96 has lots of head room in the back.

No backup camera or sensors. it took four sales people to figure out how to open the trunk. The remote didn't work, nor did the button on the dash. The trunk is a little smaller than the one on my 96.

The nav unit is not intuitive, but does work. The voice activation was not working on the car I drove. Honda/Acura (Alpine) nav systems are much better. Even the old one in my MDX is better and and easier to use.

Front seat area did not feel as roomy as the old car. Probably because of the wider arm rest (moves back and forth - nice feature) and more massive door arm rests. I found the front door pockets to be hard to use with the door closed.

Rear seat area felt less open than the old car, but there is lots of knee room in the new one too. The rear seat reclines about three inches or so at the top. Sounds like a cheap window shade when the seat back moves, but it works fine.

The front cup holders are on the wrong side of the cup holder door. Have to lift high to clear the door.

Ride was firmer than expected. Felt more freeway irregularities than in my old car or my MDX. Not bad at all. Ride was very comfortable. Seat better than my old Avalon. Very quiet around town, with some road noise on the freeway - still very good though.

To me, the car looks much better in person than in pictures. I don't care for the light wood color and the door that cover the radio and nav controls, to me, shouldn't be there.

I notice no torque pull even with rapid starts. Low end torque is not huge - you feel the power 'kick in' as rpm increases.

Fit and finish was outstanding, though the quality of materials (feel) was less than expected.

I want one
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Anyone here have info on where to buy a headrest DVD system?

The stealer wants $2,200 for 2 headrest and a dual player.

For right now I have bought a $350 single unit from Costco that is hanging from a velcro strap that the wife cooked up.
    If you pull down the armrest in the XLS you will see the cup holders for two. In terms of skimping, look what they added. Powerful new engine, two exhausts, moving arm rest in front, 8 power drivers seat instead of 6, 9 speakers instead of 7, covers over radio and nav or CD player. More storage in two compartments in front between driver and passenger, one of them under armrest and the other concealed till you click on button, automatice windshield wipers, hump in rear mostly gone. Larger sun visor if you look closely even though the extender is gone. So more given in comparison to few things taken. Good Luck.
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "Getting 18 mpg in town, love that. NO hesitation NO torque steer."

I'm curious as to what octane gas you are using in your new Avalon, 87/89/91?? The Avg Fuel Economy on mine says only 16 MPG since I took delivery, and I now have a little over 100 miles on the odo. My lower amount is probably from running the car, without moving at the dealership, prior to taking it home. I asked my dealer when they filled up the tank, what octane they used. He asked their shop personnel that did the prep and they said 89. They did not know that 91 octane was recommended. I plan on switching to 91 on my first fill up.

Thanks for your reply.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    My octane choices around here are 87, 89 & 93. I filled up for the 1st time Sunday night and used 89. I'm not gonna be concerned about full performance.

MikeS.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    In what seems to be an about face the Boston Globe has written an early Avalon review. Shortly after the release of the second generation I had asked Royal Ford why hadn't he written a review. He said in his email, that Globe readers were not interested in the Avalon but rather more interested in BMW and such products.

Nevertheless, yesterday's review was lack luster. This is what he said, in part. "Why look higher when there's Avalon?

Toyota executive Ernest Bastien calls the Avalon ‘a move-up vehicle’ for Camry owners who don’t need a luxury brand.

This car, at these prices, could be a tough competitor for Buick, Mercury, Ford, and Lincoln, which once dominated this niche."

http://www.boston.com/cars/articles/2005/02/13/why_look_higher_wh- - en_theres_avalon/
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    BUCKWHEAT: Many thanks for your information on the XL Fog Lights. I would to purchase a car with leather Touring Model) just to get the lights.
  • toysalesmantoysalesman Member Posts: 1
    I sell toyota's here in OH, and hope that someone within Toyota Corp in CA or at TMMNA in N. KY reads this. The care is truely awesome and a *major* improvement over the previous dated Avalon. Some suggestions that I am surprised the new generation does not have. Where is the low tire pressure warning system? We have this even in our economy Corolla's! No maintenance reminder indicator also that we have in many lower models now.. odd. No sonar park assist in the Limited either... big omission!! I am most disappointed in the stereo though. The top line JBL does not support the new super audio or DVD audio format! MP3 feature would be good.. but mainly the new audiophile format is NEEDED! Also the Nav system does not support Bluetooth and no back up camera either!! As a 13 year vet with Toyota.. I am always impressed by the depth and quality of engineering and assembly.. but ya missed some cogent features on this car!!!
  • vette '67vette '67 Member Posts: 18
    The wife and I looked at the new Avalon this past week. Generally very impressed. Our dealer had just the right combination that we want...Limited, titanium, everything but nav. However, there was a major defect in the rear wheelwells, especially on the left. A second edge could be see following the inner arc of the well. This was not found on a second '05 Avalon on the dealer's lot. Has anyone else noticed this defect? Very surprised that it passed quality control. We passed and are waiting to take a look at another Avalon that's due-in shortly.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Imagine that.

abfisch
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    I second those comments. What I didn't know was that the corolla now has a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, thanks for that info. I have said in pass posts, that I was disappointed with the 2005 Avalon, when it didn't have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System and Bluetooth communication capabilities, those two features is keeping me from purchasing the 2005 Avalon, hopefully those are corrected in the 2006 version, if not, I would really have to start considering some other brand and model (Acura TL and Infiniti M35).

Tee
    This is old news, see post 1509. Healey is just regurgitating what he read somewhere, not that he tested. The test are people who are driving them like me and others that have posted, and there is no hesitation issue, test drive one yourself to convince yourself and to see the truth. One other thing, people talked about the side molding, I have been looking at cars like never before, and so many today on the newer models, Acura, Honda, Mercedes, etc., don't have the side molding. I also am looking at dings, and many with molding have the dings anyway, above and below the moldings. So unless like I have always done, park the car so far away from others, if you live in a big city or park on a street because you don't have a garage, a car with a ding is a sign that you don't have to worry about the next ding, because after the first one, you can relax. Have a great day. Anyway to be serious, there are ding specialist today that can pull it right out if that is so important to you to cough up 50 bucks more or less for the each ding. Dings are a fact of life, so are bumper scratches. Maybe we shouldn't buy any cars anymore because all bumpers are plastic, no more real chrome bumpers made of metal. Buy the way, take a look at some cars that have side moldings, like the Camry, if you really look at it, the molding is so flush to the car it won't prevent any dings unless an open door hits it in just the exact spot to stop a ding. I hope that car purchasing decisions are made on, reliability, comfort, pleasure riding for you and passengers, etc., rather than dings.
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    One of my grad school professors described economics as the study of the decisions people make with respect to money, individually and collectively. I thought that was rather apt, and I mention it so you don't think I'm trying to pick a fight, but I found your comments above to be curious.

Tire pressure monitoring and Bluetooth are two things 99% of Americans have never experienced in their cars; but, they are now make-or-break for you? I agree, those are newly emerging options that one would expect to enter an automaker's line from the top down (like HIDs, SmartKey and other neat stuff), but would you avoid the 2005 Avalon if the Corolla didn't offer one of them?

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, just curious to see if it's the lack of those options that turned you off, or the fact that Toyota offers them on a lesser vehicle that is the bigger issue.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    TAPAND:

I AM SO GLAD YOU WROTE THIS. THE ALPHA, IF YOU WILL, OR THIS FORUM THINKS MY COMMENTS WERE OUT OF TOUCH IN SORTS 30 POSTS AGO. I HAVE MY DOUBTS THAT MANY ALPHAS HAVE HAD MULTIPLE AVALONS LIKE YOU, AND SO IT IS WITH GREAT PRIDE AND RELIEF THAT YOU HAVE ARTICULATED TO SOME OF these emotional people, that there are certain things for certain people that the old Avalon's had which were priceless.

Specifically, no sunroof, no auto climate control, the minimal amount of useless buttons, terrific headroom, a large trunk, etc.

My rear brakes seized also at less than 40K in NE winters. I replaced the rotors with aftermarket premium rotors and had to relube everything else as well as change the pads. I did not realize the XLS came without a sunroof, but maybe different regions had different packages.

Reclining reat seat does not interestme. I am not a chauffeur, nor do I take long trips were kids sleep in the car.

Having my head hit the top of the roofline is a show stopper, New Avalon or not.

abfisch
  • georgevettegeorgevette Member Posts: 15
    I spent last week driving just about everything in the Avalon's class including G35, M35, etc..

The M35 comes *close* to the new Avalon but at $50,000 out the door, 23 mpg highway...

I cannot believe how wonderfully this new Avalon is: what a package! I am 6' 2" and have room to spare headroom-wise.. Yes, the M35 had a rear backup camera but, again, about $15,000 more money! Less horsepower, poorer fuel economy, more road noise, more engine noise;

New black Avalon LTD on its way for hopefully Thursday delivery......

I still do not know how they have achieved this:

sorry to quote Healey but this IS the finest car I have driven since I had the pleasure of driving a Rolls Royce silver shadow.... Simply incredible, in my opinion..

George
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    "Healey is just regurgitating what he read somewhere, not that he tested. The test are people who are driving them like me and others that have posted, and there is no hesitation issue"

Umm, just to be fair and balanced, I did drive the Avalon and there was a pronounced hesitation. It's true that Healey may have repeated what he saw elsewhere, but it may also be equally true that "positive" reviewers are doing the same -- reiterating each other's rave reviews.

I suppose the fact whether or not the Avalon has a delayed throttle response is a function of your driving style. I am so used to my Nissan Maxima and even my wife's Civic Hybrid (with the continuosly variable transmission), that I never think twice about how gently I should hit the gas. I guess that means that I drive aggressively.

When I test drove the Avalon, I quickly found out that I can't drive it the same. Because of the throttle delay, the pressing and releasing the accelerator gets out of sync with the engine response, especially if you alternate (up-down) in a sequence.

It's also probably true that most people who drive like gentlemen (figuratively speaking) will not notice this issue at all. I would also speculate that because most of the Avalon's owners are people of certain respectable age (79 or something, I've been told?), they would drive that beast in the corresponding manner (not trying to catch up with the hooded fellow on a pale horse, that is), and would therefore unlikely to test the limits of the throttle or its drive-by-wire technology.

It's all perfectly logical and makes sense. Except for one thing: I wouldn't call the Avalon "a high performance flagship". That's all.
    I agree with you Georgevette. I couldn't be happier with my XLS. Someone here posted the XLS doesn't come with a moon roof. Gee, don't they do any research for themselves, the moonroof is standard on the XLS. Tire pressure notification, they have to be kidding, I never check my tire pressure, the dealer does every time I take it in for my 3,00 mile oil change. I never had a tire problem. Give me a break, that's a reason not to buy this car and buy something less comfortable because of this. Is this just finding something to criticize for the sake of criticizing fine, but it's no reason not to buy a car that is best in it's class in every respect, and they have given so much more then the 04 over what they took away. Read the posts guys and gals, do some research, everything has been posted here and you will come away being more knowledgeable than before and won't make so many errors regarding the new Avalon, and will be a better consumer with the facts that will make it much easier buying the car, Do your diligence, this car beats them all in this size class and price range overall. Stop knit picking although it is every ones right, but what a waist of time. I realize there are some people who post here who might drive Buicks or whatever and hate the fact that the Avalon is such a wonderful automobile and better now than before so they post and make statements that aren't true. THEREFORE MY ADVICE IS, DRIVE THEM ALL LIKE LIKE SOMEONE SAID, COMPARE EVERYTHING THAN MAKE YOUR DECISION AND REALIZE DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS, BUT DON'T MAKE UP THINGS OR BEAT OTHER AUTO MANUFACTURERS THAT MAKE A FINE AUTOMOBILE. If styling is more important to you than other things, than go for it, someone might think your choice of style is ugly, welcome to the world of fashion, what one loves, one might hate, but that is pure conjecture, opinion, not fact, so don't beat it up, lets be civil and fair. I HOPE MACABEE IS DOING WELL WITH HIS TREATMENTS, I MISS HIS POSTS. Okay, forgive me if I was windy, but these trash posts are just that. Georgevette good luck to you and happy motoring, you bought a great car that is almost flawless, even the top name plates have some flaws, nothing is perfect and if someone is looking for perfection he is fooling himself.
    I had some initial discussions with a couple of dealers in my area and they all said they would not discount off MSPR at all. I was only expecting the get the Kelly Book value for a trade but as we started discussing the price I decided to push a little harder and was pleasantly surprised by what I ended up with.
  • bobdeebobdee Member Posts: 9
    That XM antenna is really obvious on the trunk lid. I installed an after market XM radio, and placed the (magnetic base) antenna INSIDE the rear window on top of the center brake light housing. It has worked flawlessly, even with window tint.
    I played around with the Smart Key on the demo car and liked the concept. I asked the dealer this question but he didn't know. My current Avalon has a Valet key that operates only the door and ignition with no access to the truck.

Is there something similar with the Smart Key or does the valet get access to what I have in the truck too?
  • georgevettegeorgevette Member Posts: 15
    My other cars are a 2000 Corvette, 2001 Toyota Sequoia, 2000 Chev Duramax diesel and this is the most seamless shifting transmission I have ever driven.. It never hunted or questioned during the 200 miles I drove in combined city, highway.. A LOT of stop and go traffic.. Shifts were just undetectable except for the tach moving around...

The 280 horses are quite real.. I would not hesitate in putting "high performance" next to the Avalon... Especially when compared with its much higher priced brethern such as the yet to be released 240 HP GS300 Lexus at $50,000, Infinity M35, at $48,000..

I went out last week with the goal of purchasing an Infinity M35X.. I only stopped in at the Toyota dealer as a whim on the way back from the Infinity dealer... I am sooo glad I did!