Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mmyesqmmyesq Member Posts: 3
    I noticed several people asking about the wood interior colors on the new Avalon but have not seen responsive answers to these questions. From the pictures I've seen, it appears that the lighter wood is the only option for the ivory interior, both light and dark wood is available with the light gray interior and only dark wood is available with the graphite interior. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I would like to reiterate the question concerning leasing. Can anyone share what sort of lease pricing they have secured and if so, on what trim level? Thanks

Mackabee, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Macabee, you will make it, song or no song, I just know you will. Don't worry about posting the test results when your feeling under the weather, just concentrate on the self healing power and I know you can do it. Our prayers are with you Mac.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Whatever happened to Cliffy1 who was so good about giving information on the Camry and Avalon boards?
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    The garage door buttons are on the bottom of the rear view mirror. Three, just like used to be on the visor. I have a Phantom Gray Pearl Limited due in in about 8 days. I think I prefer the buttons on the mirror myself, that's just my opinion.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Thank you justme. As PmcB48 said,I liked the accelerator pedal very much. I even looked over at him and said "Who needs a V8??! Very smooth power as I stepped on the gas. I'm pretty sure this car will do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. We were doing 80 without noticing how fast we were going. The ride is very smooth and compliant. The suspension felt like you were riding in one of those old American big cars that made you feel safe and secure inside but without the "floaty boaty" ride. Road noise was very minimal with the Bridgestone Turanzas this XLS was equipped with I could barely hear it. Wind noise was also minimal. We drove with the radio on at low volume and just enjoyed the ride. It didn't seem we were on a test drive. I imagine the car is quieter with the Michelin tires. I'll find out once we get Pat's Limited in. I'll ask him for a ride around the block before he takes it home. The interior is quite roomy and very comfortable. Visibility is excellent and I didn't see any blind spot when switching lanes on the expressway. The controls also have a very substantial feel to them. I noticed this right away after I got in the driver's seat and flicked the signal light lever to the right. To really appreciate the instrument panel you must see it at night. The white translucent controls for the climate control are backlit and the optitron meters are a sight to behold especially when you first start the car. It looks like something out of a science fiction movie when everything lights up at once and the engine roars to life. Sort of a space ship getting ready for take off!
    : )
    Mackabee

P.S. I wonder where cliffy1 is also. He is a very good friend of mine. We've been around Edmunds for a long time. I'll call his store tomorrow and find out. I hope he's ok.
  • hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for your comment about your new Avalon. I plan to order one with XM. Could you please describe the installation in the dash, i.e., is it nicely built in? How about the antenna also. Did you like the installation in general. I had heard or read some comments that were less than complamentary. Thanks for your reply. Hawkeye
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    For a car this large, are the Avalon's side mirrors foldable? It doesn't seem like it in pictures.

I think that the designers and engineering people really missed many features. Isn't this car the fastest designed and engineered car Toyota has done? Now I can tell they were in a time-crunch.
  • wuzfuzwuzfuz Member Posts: 12
    This morning, I called our salesman who sold us our '96 Avalon and '00 Tundra - a trusted man. He says the dealership is holding firm on the MSRP since only a trickle of '05 Avalons are arriving at the dealership. He expects the discounts to start about mid-March, and will call me when that takes place.
  • vette '67vette '67 Member Posts: 18
    Our dealership, in central Illinois, is discounting $2K from list on the Limited (less nav).
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    My 98 avalon and my 2000 avalon both had much better seats than my 05 Limited. I took mine back to the dealer the next day )after my 40 minute drive home)and told him something had to be done about the seats. He ordered a new seat cover bottom and said they would work on the seat backs to see what they could do. I hope they don't mess them up. Almost afraid to let them mess with them. Might should leave well enough alone, but the 9 hour drive to Louisiana was very uncomfortable! Talk to your dealer, maybe they will fix them.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    www.Fitzmall.com is the web site for a number of Fitzgerald dealerships in the Maryland area, including Toyota (click on the logo); they've been mentioned earlier on this string. Their web site is interesting reading, including their take on dealer "add-ons". They list MSRP, Invoice price, Delivered Internet price, and Delivered Value price (includes $339 maintenance policy). The discounts vary, depending on model; they also respond promptly to e-mail inquiries for individually-configured models. They ultimately told me they would sell a maxed-out Limited for $2000 over invoice (hence potentially more than $2000 under MSRP). They also chop the common $399 dealer processing fee down to $99.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Re interior wood colors, there is no option. I'm pretty sure its light wood on Ivory and Light Grey interiors, and dark wood on Dark Grey or Graphite.
  • dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    If you don't mind sharing, I was wondering how old people in this thread are?
    Thanks for the results of your test drive. Similar to how mine is handling. Stay well my friend.
    Marvin my real name or Just Me : )
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    hawk1eye,

Please see my earlier posts #1607 & 1608. This morning, I took a picture of the audio controls in my Limited to show you that with the JBL Synthesis Audio system, the XM Radio button is already integrated into the controls. All the dealer had to do was install the XM Receiver inside the trunk and the XM antenna on the outside of the trunk. The receiver is hidden in the trunk on the passenger side under the trunk lining, so it is not visible. The XM antenna was initially installed on the outside of the trunk lid, on the passenger side, which I did not like when I took delivery. I had the dealer move it to the center rear of the trunk lid, by the back window, so there was more symmetry. Here are the pictures:

Interior Audio Controls:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/5.jpg

XM Antenna Initial Install Location by Dealer:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/4.jpg

XM Antenna Install Location After Relocation:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/6.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/7.jpg

The explanation that I received from my dealer when I made the deal was that in order for them to install the XM Radio, it required the JBL Systhesis Audio System since it was already wired and configured to accept the XM Radio. The owners manual shows 3 different audio systems, Type 1, 2, and 3. Types 1 & 2 do not have the SAT (Satellite) button. If you purchased an Avalon without the JBL Systhesis Audio System (Type 3), my guess is that you would have to take it to an after market installer that would have to add additional controls on the dash, or some place else. Maybe mackabee can provide further clarification

I hope this helps.
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    It would be interesting if anyone that already bought a new Avalon would post the MSRP and price they paid. I test drove one today - quick and a smooth ride. Does anyone have the red avalon or have seen it...how does it look?
    I paid MSRP for my Limited - $34,929, which came from the factory with VSC/Traction Control/Brake Assist, and Carpeted Floor & Trunk Mats. As part of my deal, I got them to add the XM Satellite Radio, All Weather Mats, and Mud Guards at no additional charge. Those 3 items had a combined MSRP of $610. It was the first Avalon that my local dealer received, so they were not willing to do much better. I could have waited a few more months to get a better price, but I had a local buyer for my 2001 Avalon XLS that paid me a good price so I made the deal.

I have been completely satisfied so far with my new Limited. IMHO, I believe it is incrementally better than my 2001 in most every way.
    My MSRP was $31,629.00. Add another $739, for taxes, administrative costs etc, Total $32,368. I paid $29,400, so take off $2,968, and that is the difference how ever you apply it. Hope that helps.
    Thank you Marvin. My name is Victor but all my friends call me Vic.
    I'll check on the type 1 and 2 and let you guys know. As far as the age of the posters here, I'm 49. I know we have one as young as 22 and another as young as 82.
    Mackabee
    I'll be 58 within the week. Replacing a '95 Bonneville with an Avalon for the wife (her age is a state secret). Also own a Dodge Caravan and a '67 Corvette...the latter I bought new, when in college, and it recently underwent an off-the-frame restoration (took 2.5 years to complete!!#*!!). It looks and drives better than when new, and it's my pride-and-joy. I've noticed other Avalon/Vette owners in the forum...must be a logical explanation somewhere!
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I'm 48, but my liver is going on 72!:)
    I'm 55. Besides the '05 Avalon, I also own a 2004 Corvette, which I purchased new in Oct. 2003. So you could say I have both a practical and impractical side :)
    Hi Vic, Thank yo. I'm 69 but feel like 30.
    I just looked through all my materials on the 05 Avalon and it seems that the car has to be equipped with the EJ option which is the JBL Synthesis system that is standard on Limited and optional on XLS and Touring and has the SAT button on the radio controls. I could not find whether it will be available on the XL as a factory or dealer installed option. I guess you could do an aftermarket installation but it would not be integrated into the factory unit.
    Mackabee
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    Although I died last year there is enough of me left to called 61 years old

One of my hot buttons is noise level. I like dead silence and have used several methods that help on any car or thtruck
    ?? Can the laminated windshield on the Limited be used as a REPLACEMENT on the XLS??????? although it is at little early they should be avavailableow or soon....I don't mind paying for the change out if it realy Helps ????

One trick that works well is to use 2 layers of very thin CORK underneath the Thickest matts U can find.
    Same goes for trunk cargo matt and even underneath
    the insulation under the hood

Vibrations and sound transmission are the enemy.
    Don't remember if the 05 has thicker windows but this is a big help if has or can be replaced.

Not Crazy just like dead silence.
    Thank you for your information on the subject.
  • dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    Thanks guys for sharing your ages. I am in my early 20s and I was just interested to see if Toyota was able to create more *buzz* about the Avalon in order to attract younger buyers.

Thanks again.
  • vinster29vinster29 Member Posts: 23
    I have been researching the New avalon for a while now and I gotta tell ya, this is the best forum ever!! I have learned so much from you guys that I couldn't find anywhere else. Thanks guys.

Now to get down to business. First off, I have driven the 2005 Toyota Avalon and I Love it. Yes, it could be a little quieter and I'm not so crazy about the plastic panel covering the radio but overall I think it is definitely a big improvement over the previous generation Avalon which was just plain hideous!!! I currently have a 1996 Avalon which I am considering trading in. I was actually quite surprised that the Avalon didn't come with Bluetooth and XM Satellite Radio standard on the Limited. I also thought the leather on the XLS looked cheap compared to the Lexus Leather.

I was wondering if anyone has any pics of the Graphite interior with the Darker wood trim. I was considering an Indigo Ink Pearl Avalon Limited with A light gray interior but since they don't currently offer this combination I'm thinking about getting the Graphite interior. I don't like the blond wood trim with the beige interior so I would probably have to get a different color if I wanted the light gray interior. Has anyone seen an Indigo Ink Pearl Avalon and what are your impressions. Thanks
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    i have seen the dark wood on the light gray interior in the Maryland area.
  • rtimbortimbo Member Posts: 24
    Just purchased an Indigo Ink Pearl XLS with the ivory interior. I think the combo looks very classy and upscale. Had to pay full MSRP as dealers here in So. Cal have very few 05’s in inventory and quite reluctant to give any discounts.

Having just replaced an ’05 Dodge Magnum RT (Hemi,340 HP), with the Avalon, I have to say I don’t feel I’ve lost a lot of power. Although off the line torque is significantly less, power on the highway is great. Quality of materials in the Avalon are vastly superior to that of the Magnum. I do, however, have a problem with the door over the radio, it gets stuck in the closed position and requires a screwdriver to pry open. Dealer has a new door on order and should receive it in a couple of days.

Had Sirius satellite radio in the Magnum and loved it. Tried to find out if it was available on the Avalon in place of XM. I know its available on other Toyota models with the JBL stereo. I think if it’s not available now, it probably will be in a short time. If anyone has any info, please let us know.

Overall, I feel upgraded by purchasing the Avalon. The new styling is sure attract younger buyers. It's a high quality vehicle with many features at a fair price.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    DOes this mean that the dealer can install the XM unit in a Limited with the JBL system?
    Thanks
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    Just traded my 2000 Chrysler300m for new Avalon. Got the XL with remote start, homelink, sliding roof, mats, emergency kit. I didn't realy want some of this "stuff" but that the way it came in. Paid MSRP, no dicount. Got Kelly blue book for trade in on my 300m. My wife has 2002 Camery and we are on our fifth Toyota. I was going to get a new Chrysler 300 but took it out for a test and felt very much closed in. So far, love the Avalon. I'm 69 but still feel and act 29...
    To see a picture of the dark wood interior, cut-and-paste the following link. I had to use parenthesis around the link to get the link to copy properly. (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=103801#8) Then, click the second interior thumbnail in the right column.

I've seen the dark and blonde wood in person, and I much prefer the dark.
    I'm 61, but don't feel it. We own a '96 Avalon, a '00 Tundra and 3 Plymouth Fury antique cars - I'm not one of them. We intend to purchase an '05 Avalon Limited to replace our '96.
    By the way, you intelligent men and women should be able to guess my career from my forum "name".
  • bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    Who and where is your dealership?
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Can you describe what Indigo Ink Pearl looks like. Is it a deep blue but doesn't look black? Is it more purple than blue?
  • vinster29vinster29 Member Posts: 23
    Rtimbo,

Could you post some pics of your Indigo Ink Pearl XLS with the Ivory Interior. Thanks
    Let me ask the dealership how public they want to be about the discount. The salesmen is a lifelong friend, and I understood that he was speaking as a general rule on the dealership's pricing of the Avalon. He may have meant it as a deal to me, alone. I want to be certain.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    I saw the 05 Avalon Limited in Blizzard White and light gray interior. It had the "dark" wood, which looks more elegant than the "yellowish" wood pictured in the brochure.

I drive an 01 Camry Collector's Edition (2 tone, perforated leather, wood steering wheel, JBL, etc.) and I've been extremely satisfied with its performance and reliability. I've never considered the Avalon before, but the Limited may make me change my mind!
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    I'm 66. My late wife and I bought an 02 XL instead of the Camry we went to the buy, after a test drive. It was the first car she ever seemed to have real affection for, so I will give it to my son--can't bear to sell it.

Indigo Ink Pearl is almost black at night, and almost bright, rich blue in direct sun. Very appealing! A friend has it and only objects to its tendency to show dust.

Thanks for the test drive impressions, Mackabee.
    "Vette",
    My dealership is Carousel Toyota in Glen Mills, PA.
    Yes, your dealer can install the XM Satellite Radio in a Limited model, as that comes standard with the JBL Synthesis Audio System.

Based on the E-brochure on Toyota's web site, you can also get the JBL Synthesis Audio System on the Touring and XLS models as an option package. It does not look to be available on the XL model
    Avalon is attracting the attention of the young-at-heart, at any rate. Better than the 69 to dead age group that the previous Avalon seemed aimed to interest!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    >>should be able to guess my career from my forum "name"

Retired cop?
    A balding hippie? ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There are limits as to how much information you can post about sales folks and dealerships. Please see the "Rules of the Road" (linked at the top of the page) for the specifics.

Also, note that soliciting is specifically not allowed, so I don't want anyone to get the impression that mackabee is soliciting for business - he doesn't do that.

It's important that others don't do it for him, also.

If anyone has questions, feel free to email me.

Thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is the wood in the Limited real or fake?
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    Well, today I finally did it. I ordered a Limited with Nav, laser cruise, and VSC. Had to take the carpet mats as well. Titanium and light grey interior. End price was $1,400 below MSRP. Now I'm looking for a set of wheels to add a little bling to the overly sedate car.

I also drove an XLS today, my third test drive in different Avalons. The car had a silver exterior and light grey interior and dark wood accents. For those who keep score, none of the three experienced throttle hesitation but one of the three I drove did have a transmission that "hunted."

For the first time I did most of my shopping over the internet and I think it paid off. Thanks for the helpful comments over the past few months. Good luck with your own hunting.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is the wood in the Limited real or fake?"

The word Toyota uses is "wood-grain", which sounds fancier than "fake wood". Unless the manufacturer states that it is "genuine" or "real" it's commonly referred to as "plood" (plastic wood)! :-)
    No it's not real wood, but sure looks good. Regardless of what anyone says, the light color looks great in my Desertmiaca Sand color, and my wife loved it the minute she saw it, with a taupe interior it works great, looks airy and large all around and warmly inviting.