Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "New '05 owners-- What does your operating manual say as far as gas preference?

Another words -- will it run on 'regular?"

clipper1,

Yes, the new Avalon will run on regular unleaded. The owners manual says:

"Select Octane Rating 87 or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 or higher is recommended."
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Using a relatively high figure of 15,000 miles per year, and a conservative figure of 15 cents difference between premimum and regular unleaded, and 20 mpg, that's 750 gallons per year, or $112.50 extra yearly for premium, or $9.38 per month. If I'm paying over $30,000 for a new car, I want all the performance it's designed to deliver. I think I can afford $9/month to insure that, even if it means getting one less pizza every month. Man does not live by bread (or pizza) alone. :-)
  • prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    is anyone experiencing brake dust on their wheels making the wheels look dirty all the time?
    I've yet to see a Limited but have seen XLS in silver, gray, and green. HOw does the Blizzard Pearl look on the LImited?
    I've seen both and my preference is the light colored "wood".
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    prime time, that's just the nature of disc brakes and alloy wheels. No matter what car they are on you'll always have brake dust. There are some aftermarket shields you can buy that go over the discs and keep most of the brake dust off. I believe Tire Rack has them.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    There are no federal laws or rules regarding HID and self-leveling devices as far as I can determine.

There are European standards that require self-leveling.

NHTSA is requesting comments about HIDs including proposed solutions to the glare problem such as self-leveling devices. I could find no final ruling or even a proposed ruling.

NHTSA does have lighting standards that HID lights must work within.

For more information look at nhtsa.dot.gov and consumer reports.org

The earliest date I found at NHTSA regarding HID is 2001, so we may see a proposed rule any decade now.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    The only Limited at the dealer was in Blizzard Pearl. It's beautiful! This color makes the car looks streamlined and elegant. No wonder Toyota used it for promotion pics. It had gray interior with the "dark" wood -- very sharp!
  • smithmasasmithmasa Member Posts: 12
    I'm told the engine in the 2005+ Avalon was designed solely for this car. Does anyone know if this is true? Is the engine manufactured in Japan and has it been used in any previous Toyota or Lexus vehicles? Does anyone anticipate there might be any problems if it is a newly designed engine?
    It is true. From the 2005 Toyota Avalon Introduction brochure linked earlier in this forum by Tundrasolutions.

"D.1. Assembled exclusively at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Georgetown, Kentucky (TMMK).
    a. engines built at TMMK.

II. All-new high-output 3.5L V6
    A. 2GR-FE DOHC 4-valve V6
    4c. Short-stroke variant of 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 from 4-Runner, Tacoma, Tundra
    5. New 4-valve engine developed for this high-performance sedan."
  • wiktor256wiktor256 Member Posts: 12
    Can any of you tell me the names of dealers that already had installed the XM radio in 2005 Avalon? My local dealer has difficulties figuring it out since I am the first one to order it. I would like to give them these names so they can contact them with any questions.

They tried to install after-market XM radio in my Avalon with a separate display unit, but luckily they called me to confirm the placement of the display before they started working on the installation.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    My Blizzard Pearl (one week old) is beautiful! It's a great car, the more I drive it the more I like it.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    In message 1512, I posted that the engine was made in Japan based on a 1/11/05 article about the Avalon found in a Kentucky, (home of Avalon assembly) newspaper..

I hope this link still works..

http://tinyurl.com/5m94b

But as a new owner you should already know where the engine was made because the American Automobile Labeling Act requires every passenger vehicle sold in the US after 1994 to have a label, which among a number of requirements, must name "the country of origin of the engine and transmission", more on this can be found at

http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/auto/aala.html
    Pending what it says on the car, I would believe the Avalon Introduction brochure, which comes from Toyota, over a newspaper article. A first drive of the Avalon also came out 25 February 2005 in Canadian Driver (canadiandriver.com), where the Avalon (XLS and Touring models only) just went on sale. Very complimentary. Here is a comment from the tester regarding the engine in the Touring (this is for Mackabee :-) ):
    "My only complaint with this engine is that there is almost too much torque on take-off, and without the optional traction control (which is only available on the XLS model), it's easy to spin the front tires, particularly on wet or slippery surfaces."
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Are you an owner? Did your car come with the required label showing the "country of origin for the engine", that is a simple answer to the question..
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Here in Georgia 89 octane is about 5% higher than 87 octane. At 20 mpg on regular the higher octane pays for itself if gas mileage increases to 21 mpg with similar driving. My '03 XL does just that.... and runs better in addition. Check your mileage and local prices, all. You might find a small gas upgrade is essentially FREE !! (Not likely going to 91 or 92 octane will add another 5%, but you might try it.)
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    We just picked up our black / ivory Avalon Limited and drove it home 48 miles. It is fabulous and drives great. What a feeling of luxury. I've had Cadillacs and Lincolns and Mercedees and the Avalon has them all beat. Can't wait to read the manual and figure out all the adjustments etc.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    What ever happened to the 31 mpg possibility? The highes anyone in here has reported is 21. Has anyone gotten any better mpg?
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Well, after months of research, I finally took delivery of my 05 Limited this afternoon. This is my fourth Toyota product ( Celica, Solara and the 2003 Lexus GS300 SportsDesign I traded). Not only was I very impressed with this car during the multiple test drives I took, I am very impressed with both the looks of the new Avalon (Limited White Pearl,in my case) and the technology (i.e. Smart Key, Nav system, remote start, the control panel, ventilated front seats, power shade in rear window and a number of others.)

Given that I had a trade involved, trying to post an honest "buy" price would be challenging and even a little misleading because when there is a trade, determining what you get for a trade allowance can become a shell game. All I know is that I'm very happy with both the buying experience I had at Bernardi Toyota in Framingham, MA and the deal I got.

I have been a member of Edmunds discussion forum for about four years ( Toyota, Acura, Lexus ). In fact, Edmunds was very useful this past spring when I bought a 2004 Honda Accord ( V6 w/Nav ) for my wife ( A great car ). This site and, most importantly, its members, is of tremendous value.

I will post my observations, both pro and con, after I get the opportunity to put some real miles on my new toy.

Regards
    Dan
  • doninildoninil Member Posts: 8
    What color interior?
  • jeffcarpjeffcarp Member Posts: 7
    I have a Limited on order, due at the end of March. Can you give me some more details on the XM radio installation? I ordered it, but am not sure how it is implemented in the car. On the Limited I test drove, I saw a SAT button on the radio. I was assuming that they just installed the XM "brain" behind the scenes and the existing radio head unit handled the tuning, presets, etc. Can you shed some light on what is in the car and what the antenna looks like?

Thank you.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I don't know if anybody is watching the Toyota Georgetown website or not, but they do a good job of showing production charts. In January, 3441 new Avalons were produced and 9351 in February. Looks like they have ramped up pretty good!!!! In looking at the last several weeks of production it looks like they are having a week of about 2600 followed by a week of 2200 and have been alternating back and forth between those 2 figures for the past several weeks. It looks like they are producing Avalons on 2 shifts, 6 days per week. Using the 9300 produced in February looks like they have the capacity to produce over 100,000 per year if the demand continues.
  • bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    Just drove 400 miles today in my new Avalon LTD--Got 27.2 on the first 200 miles and 31.1 on the return trip
    "Can you shed some light on what is in the car and what the antenna looks like?"

jeffcarp,

You are correct, the existing radio head unit handles all the XM tuning, presets, etc. Also, the steering wheel audio controls allow you to cycle thru AM, FM1, FM2, SAT1, SAT2, SAT3, & CD. There is nothing else added to the dash area. The XM receiver (brains) is installed in the trunk, under the lining on the passenger side and is not visible. My XM antenna was initially installed on the outside of the trunk lid, on the passenger side, which I did not like when I took delivery. I had the dealer move it to the center rear of the trunk lid, by the back window, so there was more symmetry. Here are the pictures:

Interior Audio Controls:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/5.jpg

XM Antenna Initial Install Location by Dealer:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/4.jpg

XM Antenna Install Location After Relocation:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/6.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/dshim/7.jpg

The explanation that I received from my dealer when I made the deal was that in order for them to install the XM Radio, it required the JBL Synthesis Audio System since it was already wired and configured to accept the XM Radio. The owners manual shows 3 different audio systems, Type 1, 2, and 3. Types 1 & 2 do not have the SAT (Satellite) button.

I hope this helps
    larryt22,

Can you share the link to the Toyota Georgetown website?

Thanks.
  • doninildoninil Member Posts: 8
  • everesteverest Member Posts: 12
    "There are no federal laws or rules regarding HID and self-leveling devices as far as I can determine."

Here is an URL: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25927&- highlight=hid+es300

Excerpt: "Just be cautious about buying some of the kits advertised on the BAY, because they may not include a self leveling kit, which is the DOT requirement for "true" HID/Xenon lighting systems."
  • jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone know the approximate maximum distance the remote start works?
    OEM or Aftermarket?

Suggestions?
    The Avalon brochure lists "Power tilt/slide glass moonroof with sliding sunshde and indirect lighting."

What indirect lighting does that refer to?
    Basic questions, bear with me please.

How do the anti-theft and engine immobilizer systems work in the Avalon?
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    I didn't really want remote start but it was on my 2005 Avalon XL. The distance in the book states "approximately 80 feet". I think that is the best it can do. If I reall needed to use it, I would be very disappointed with the cost and performance,
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    I purchased the OEM all weather floor mats for my Avalon and also for my wives 2002 Camry. I'm very happy with the decision but paid $90 for Avalon and got a deal from relative on the Camry ones. Diffently a must in the Northeast, especially with the light gray mats that come with the car.
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    Lexus Vs. NHTSA

I checked for HID and leveling at
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/menuitem.e649cd1b2b018- c71d8eca01046108a0c/

On Google, the Lexus comments came up, but had no reference to a source. Perhaps the author refers to a particular state "DOT"? California likes to layer on legislation.
    ;)
    "OEM or Aftermarket?"

jl618,

I have the OEM All Weather Mats in my new Limited and they are very good quality. They are just as good as the Weathertech after market ones that I had in my '01 Avalon. In fact, the back seat mats have a perfect fit, as opposed to the Weathertech which I had to trim for them to fit. I would recommend you go with the OEM mats. As an added benefit, they have "Avalon" imprinted on them, whereas the Weathertech do not.
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Hi there....I am awaiting delivery on my black limited, due in around mid month. I have not seen a black one yet. Is the paint job good? Any imperfections? Black seems to show flaws really fast. Did you get the gold package? Congratulations on your purchase, I guess I will live vicariously on yours until my arrives.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I could not agree more. It seems those of us, not all, but many who have a previous Avalon, are not as taken by the new one. I found the same discrepancies as you. The roofline is lower and more difficult to egress. There are notable improvements but it doesn't justify anything other than the price of the XL or Touring. Otherwise, you are getting alot of electronic stuff and paying a very nice mark up for it I might add.

For the person who wrote about the dual exhaust and it is essentially the same, it is not. It is a copy, from the Acura make, to pretend to have dual exhaust from the rear, but it is from the CAT back that it is dual exhaust, while it reduces backpressure, it is much more heavy hit on replacement, especially if it has two mufflers associated with it. Wait till someone has to replace that part.

As far as the XL and different size tires go, compared to the other models, I would not worry too much about it. Yes, the ride and handling will be slightly different, but major differences are had when you start changing componetry such as stuts, bushings, sway bar sizes, etc. rather than tires and wheels. And in addition to that, bigger tires and wheels are an added increased replacement expense. Just look at the difference between the cost of a 15,16 and 17 inch tire times 4. Over the life of the car. And the incidence of wheel bend increases as well. You do get more transient response but at the expense of ride comfort. The wear is usually faster with a lower profile tire.

ONLY IMO, the XL and the Touring as the "best buy"

Shame on Consumer Reports April 05 for omitting the Avalon 05 in one of there lists comparing Large sedans. It is incomplete and some of us expect more from that thorough magazine from the obvious omission in their annual April car report.

abfisch
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    How exactly do you propose that CR include the 05 Avalon in the list of ratings when the car has just been introduced 3 weeks ago and the organization has not yet had time to do a full report. Keep in mind that while mags and sites like Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc, keep a car for a week or so, CR buys the cars off dealer lots and typically logs between 5000 and 6000 miles before publishing.

~alpha
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    "I think for a given car, larger wheel size means firmer (and noisier) ride but better handling."

That's generally true. When you increase wheel size on a specific vehicle, the larger wheel generally comes with a lower-profile tire which will improve handling at the expense of ride.

What I meant was, an 18" wheel is not necessarily going to improve handling over a smaller wheel, IF both are equipped with similar profile tires.

"So in this context 2005+ Avalon XL is likely to have smoother and less noisier ride compared to XLS (assuming everything else remains the same)."

Again, I agree. Although the difference in sidewall profiles between the XL and the higher trims is pretty small (60 series vs. 55 series) so I doubt the XL will differ much from the XLS in noise and ride smoothness. The Touring is a different animal, since it has a firmer suspension as well, and as you note the Limited has the special windshield which will reduce noise.
    PRIME TIME:

Yes, I do and here is why. You will notice that you have more brake dust on the front wheels than the back. While a normal process of the pads to wear, there are remedies, some good and some bad to combat it.

I have much less brake dust on my set of steel wheels I use for winter driving. When you change your pads, select a pad that has minimal dust accumulation. Usually, the higher quality pad you choose, the more dust but not all the time.

Select your wheel choices BEFORE you buy the car. More spokes, more surfaces to clean, and it is more time consuming. A flat disc is easier to clean. Some of the Avalon or Toyota wheels, since they cross parts alot, are painful unless you like to clean wheels. Some forethought would be good before the purchase, unless you have someone else do it and you don't care.

There is a product called clean wheels that goes inside the wheels and is a black aluminum vented disc, that dramatically decreases brake dust on the outside of the wheel, but it doesn't let the discs cool very easily and that could lead to premature warpage of the discs. Cannot recommend them personally.

The old Avalons additionally, had alot of front end nose dive under hard braking. This stresses the front/rear brake basis and loads the fronts a bit more, making them work harder. I have found that premium struts prevent alot not all of the nose dive problems under high speed braking and thus decrease but do not eliminate front wheel brake dust.

The less you are on the brakes, the less dust.

I hope this helps. Front wheel drive cars and cars drivin very sportingly have this problem.

I hope this helps.

abfisch
    Smith1:

Agree totally. I think also the width (215's now) are the same, so the footprint is the same. Just the diameter and the profile have changed, the same as the previous type model.

It should be noted that there is a significant difference in replacement cost of a 16 versus 17 inch tire and or rim.

A different tire could make a significant difference in ride qualtiy as well as others too. Toyota has put good but not great tires as original equipment in the past.

abfisch

abfisch
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    The black looks great......I think it's the best color for an expensive yet sporty look. Didn't get the gold package which I don't believe is factory anyway. The little chrome the car has realy stands out against the black. Might consider gold but want to live with it awhile. I haven't noticed any flaws in the paint. When we were going over it when we took delivery I joked with the dealer that there was a little dust on the hood and he said oh we can dust it off for you it will only take a minute. I said no way I don't want anybody scratching the paint while they wipe off dry dust. I've had black cars before and you really have to watch the car wash attendants when there drying the cars. It also has the best sounding radio....just be sure to adjust the bass, midrange, and treble by pushing in the right knob and turning. You can also turn on or off the FM surround sound. I think it sounds best on and it has great seperation. Good luck with yours!
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Has anyone actually used the laser-guided cruise control? Is it helpful, or a nuisance? If you do use it, which setting do you use?
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    With the XM radio, what information is displayed? Does the display tell you song title, album, station or what? How do you directly access the 100+ stations? Hopefully you don't have to tune up or down thru 100 stations. In other words, is the interface at least as good as the stand-alone XM receivers you can buy?
    I couldn't find the section that gave monthly production figures. It is also interesting to read the newsletter, particularly regarding their quality control program.
  • cc12wittcc12witt Member Posts: 8
    Good question, and wouldn't it be nice if there was a built-in interface for MP3 input, as my friend has on his 2004 BMW 3-series? There's a button on his radio system labeled "auxiliary". Was nobody thinking at Toyota?
    I have the laser cruise control on my 2004 Sienna, and I think it is helpful. I tend to use the longest distance interval, but that's a matter of personal preference. The hardest thing was getting used to and trusting the cruise control to slow you down when you come up behind someone. It does that very well, and will then pace the car ahead of you. You then have the choice of continuing behind the slower vehicle, or passing them and resuming automatically your previous speed. With conventional cruise control, you have to manually take yourself out of cruise control (e.g., by braking if you don't pass the car you're overtaking. For this and other reasons, I tend to use laser cruise more than I would conventional cruise control.
    Arthur - thanks for your comments. I wonder if I could get a closed wheel from Toyota?
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    hi: handling may not be everything, but if one of two otherwise identical cars has a firmer suspension and lower profile tires (touring), that vehicle will handle better than the other, and if driven in an identical manner than the car with softer-suspension (all other models)/and has higher profile tires (all others but limited), it is the touring model which will be more likely to avoid an accident, and/or perhaps slightly reduce the severity of an accident. though the accident likelihood/severity of buying a touring versus a non-touring model are admittedly not very high, consider the insurance cost of getting into a less severe accident (injury, death), or avoiding one altogether, and the consequences to your health, your loved ones, and on your financial well-being. considering all this, I won't mind buying the better-handling touring. however, i have not yet mentioned the fact that the touring does not have the stability control or traction control available in the limited, which negates my whole safety/handling arguement for the touring model. however, the "brains" (or lack thereof) at toyota will surely wise up and realize that a camry se model (similar in scope to the avalon touring) can be optioned with stability and traction controls that are currently unavailable on touring and other avalons. as such, my trusty 96 nissan maxima will pull extra duty (like so many troops in iraq) until i can get the touring w/traction and stability. THEN, my avalon touring arguement over all other avalon models will hold water.
    any thoughts?
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    hi abfisch:
    thanks for your reply. i waited for the 96 maximas to come out before buying the 95"s, which were mildly troublesome, whereas the 96's were bulletproof. the 05 avalons (based on this forum's feedback) are not trouble-free, so perhaps waiting a model year makes the most sense.
    dean