Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Good comments on both. No disagreement here. I prefer autos that handle securely, while I know I can give up a little in comfort to a point. Buying the first model year, especially if one is paying cash, which I do, but not all people do, is like gambling. No can do. Waiting would be the smart man's game.

You could theoretically do something like I did with my 02 if you wanted the best of both worlds. First, what exactly, is the "Sport Suspension" on the touring model??? Define it please someone??? I know it comes with the 17" rims. Besides that. Is it different calibrated struts only, or spring rates, both, larger sway bars??? front and rear, change in bushings. What are you gettin??? My guess, and the Toyota salesman that contributes to this site would know the best, is that they took the parts from the Camry SE, and placed them in the Avalon.

My guess is that you could put a premium shock in the XLS, and come up with something similar to the SE type ride. Just a thought. Most would not. But "sports suspension" must be better defined. There are many ways to change the quality of handling versus ride. It would be nice for someone with a knowlege base of parts to let the readers now what they are exactly getting.

In 02, I put Tokico Struts in with Energy Suspension PU bushing in the sway bars and the front control arms, parts that have the same number at the Camry suspension with very demonstrable results. Not impossible to do with good reliable people and a little patience.

Consumer Reports results usually show the 1st year models have more trouble no matter what brand, although Toyota seems to have the highest number of models in the excellent category for reliability, a decision crtiteria that appeals alot to us working class.

abfisch
    Good question. I think the rankings are not new model based, I think. Since there are other new models that are posted in there respective categories. Take a look at the April 05 issue under Large Car Category. You could be right, that they omitted it on purpose but I think it is based on ranking from the previous year, which would be 04. They haven't tested many 05 models yet.

abfisch
  • dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    3puttmax,

With XM, when you initially tune to a channel, the station name then station number appear on the display. You can then press the "TEXT" button on the control panel to cycle through channel number, channel name, song title, then artist name.

To my knowledge, you can not directly access any station directly, other than using the 18 presets on the control panel (SAT1, SAT2, SAT3 using the 6 preset buttons) to get close, then use the tuning knob to get to your desired channel.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    As long as there has been no major redesign, the vehicle will appear in the ratings. Hence, the Toyota Avalon no longer appears in the ratings, since the new model has not been tested.

The ratings reflect 2005 model year vehicles that have been tested, or previous model year versions of the same vehicle that have not been significantly altered. In addition to the Toyota Avalon, for example, you will not find a rating for the Toyota Tacoma, VW Jetta, etc, as those models are recent redesigns which have not been reviewed yet.

The new 2005 model year vehicles which have been tested, appear in the ratings: The Honda Odyssey, Ford Mustang and Five Hundred, Buick LaCrosse, Saturn Relay, Pontiac G6 all come to mind, to name a few.

The ratings are effectively for 05.

~alpha
  • wesgwesg Member Posts: 24
    I would like to be able to exchange an XM radio AND a GPS Navigation package between the Avalon Limited and my 97 Camry. XM has several portable models...and Garmin has the new Street Pilot c320/330. Any thoughts about having both in two cars? Thanks for your input....Wes
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Your handling question (Touring vs other Avalons) is interesting, and the logic is sound, but it leads to an almost openended discussion. If handling is the primary concern, why limit yourself to Avalons--why not buy a BMW 535 instead? It is also true that any Avalon likely handles better than, say, a Sienna, so should I sell my Sienna and get a Avalon touring?
    The truth is that safety is a multifactorial equation, as is a car purchase, of which safety is one, however important, component. For myself, the handling edge of a Touring vs a Limited might be offset by the fact that I would probably drive the Touring more aggressively than I will my Limited, and therefore not not get into situations where every little extra bit of handling was vital. The other features of the Limited compared to the Touring, handling considered, prompted me to opt for the former. But in the identical situation, the Touring would have the edge in handling, of whatever size. Maybe we should all just buy Hummers, and run them over instead of trying to avoid them. :-)

Re first-year models, I had no problems with a first-year 1982 Celica Supra, or my first-year 1995 Maxima SE.
  • tbirdtbird Member Posts: 19
    Wow, those numbers are really amazing, esp the 31+ on your return trip, considering 280 ponies and it being a full size sedan. I hope your new baby continues to give you such a great return! How legal were you running?
  • wiktor256wiktor256 Member Posts: 12
    dshimkat,
    Was your XM radio installed by the dealer or by the factory?

I ordered XM radio on my Avalon, but the dealer claims that they can only install after-market XM radio with an external display unit. And if I want to have it integrated with JBL sound and nav system I have to wait several months before after-market receivers will be able to integrate with Avalon.

Can you give me the name of the Toyota dealer that did the installation for you?

Thanks,
    Wiktor
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Ivory - it's really very classy. Contrary to a few posts here, I like the the light wood.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Although the specifics of this post relate to my 04 XLE V6 Camry, I wonder if it has any relevance to the Avalon.

While not a horrible problem, I do notice some hesitation in my V6 Camry. It's a little slow leaving from a stop, but I'm used to it.

For the first time (after 13,000 miles) in my Camry I put in two full tanks of Premium BP/Amoco fuel. My tank was pretty empty, so I wasn't mixing too much mid-grade with the premium grade.

It may be only my imagination or simply wishing, but I don't feel the hesitation that I have experienced since I bought the car new. Does this sound possible by just changing from mid-grade to premium? If this continues, I may decide the extra 7-10 cents per gallon is worth it. We'll see.
  • bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    Staying on cruise around 75
    "Was your XM radio installed by the dealer or by the factory?"

wiktor256,

My XM Radio was installed by my local dealer. My Avalon is the Limited model that has the upgraded JBL Synthesis Audio System that is designed to accept the XM radio without adding an external display unit. The XM Radio is seamlessly integrated into the existing JBL System so that I can use the existing controls on the head unit in the dash. If your dealer is telling you that you will need an external display unit, it may be that your Avalon is an XL, Touring, or XLS model that does not have the JBL Synthesis Audio System.

My local dealer that did the installation is Toyota of Des Moines in Des Moines, Iowa.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I just purchased a Cassis Pearl Limited -my husband wanted the limited because he thought the seats were more comfortable than XLS - but, After riding home (40) miles from the dealer, I found the seam on the seat back very uncomfortable. The passenger's seat is really uncomfortable. My 2000 Avalon seats were much better! Has anyone else had this problem or I wonder if it is just my seats. The leather is very wrinkled also, like there isn't really enough padding just above that seam that goes across the center of the seat back.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Here is the link to the Toyota Georgetown production information. They show the plan as well as the actual number of vehicles produced by line and by shift for the current week.

http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/pdfs/prod/prodresults.pdf
  • wiktor256wiktor256 Member Posts: 12
    "If your dealer is telling you that you will need an external display unit, it may be that your Avalon is an XL, Touring, or XLS model that does not have the JBL Synthesis Audio System."

Thanks for the info. I have the Avalon Limited as well.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Wow. So many questions about the XM Radio. Just so everyone knows, the $449. price tag also includes activation and 1 year's subscription. That's approximately $150 right there. The XM radio that I bought last year (portable) was $190 with the car kit. Toyota's deal really isn't all that bad when you think about it.

On another note, I did another test drive today. I finally got a chance to drive an XLS with VSC and the JBL Synthesis Stereo. I would like to point out that I didn't notice ANY hesitation what-so-ever!! You people are nuts. lol That gas peddle was a "go-baby-go" button and when I pushed it.. that baby went!!
    I wasn't too impressed with the stereo though. I brought my own jazz fusion cd and it didn't really handle the low end bass very well. Anyone else experience that? The subwoofer did fine, I just felt that the bass wasn't diverted from the other speakers well enough.
    The one that I drove today only had 27 miles on it. By the time the test drive was over, the MPG was reading 25. yippy
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "What ever happened to the 31 mpg possibility? The highes anyone in here has reported is 21. Has anyone gotten any better mpg?"

I'm very happy to report that on 03/01 I took my LTD on a 152 mile round trip that was 99% highway/freeway driving at an average of 62mph with a 28.6 mpg rating.

On 03/02 I took another trip with the same parameters and had a 28.9 mpg rating.

If I didn't do 82 mph down a 10 mile section of freeway it probably would have been better.

MikeS.
    "Can anyone till me how the 2005 Avalon handles in winter driving conditions. I have not seen any comments. I plan to buy a 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited to replace my 1998 XLS. Any comments?"

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and we've had about 9" of snow in that time. The car handled very well in slushy, partly scraped roads and on packed snow.

I lived in Calif. for 41 years and hadn't had to mess with snow until 7 winters ago. It's not my favorite thing to do. I fell much better with the VSC.

MikeS.
    "Will someone who has taken delivery of an 05 Limited, please explain what self leveling HID headlamps means. I am familiar with HID but not self leveling!"

When you turn on the headlights they automatically level themselves to the ride of the car at that time. You can watch them adjust height in the first few seconds when they come on. I park in front of a white garage door and in the evening it is very visible to see them adjust.

MikeS.
    "You're right, I am very eager to acquire this car. For one thing, I have YET to see a Limited in person. Dealers can't keep them in Northern Virginia."

If you check the dealers websites you'll see that they continue to show some of the Limiteds available. Koon's shows 3 currently and Fitzmall has one, Younger shows 3. So if you look around you'll find some available.

I bought mine on 02/10 and there were several in the region then.

MikeS.
    "Has anyone actually used the laser-guided cruise control? Is it helpful, or a nuisance? If you do use it, which setting do you use?"

I have used it on my LTD and have mixed feelings about it. I usually use the closest setting but I find that it leaves several car lengths between us. Other drivers feel fine changing into this available space and the car winds up going slower & slower on you. At night, or in light traffic I'm still using it. Otherwise I wind up putting it into "Normal" mode and control spacing myself.

MikeS.
    The link to the Kentucky manufacturing plant has a LOT of info on the new Avalon. Be sure to follow the link to the magazine on the lower right side.

MikeS.
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    As far as the radio sound is concerned I'm sure the one you drove needed the tone controls adjusted. When we picked ours up the bass was set to minus 5 so I needed to crank it up. There are adjustments for bass, midrange, treble, and for fm stereo "surround" on or off. I like it set to on. I think you'll find once you adjust it to suit you you'll be amazed at the quality of this radio. The adjustments are done by pushing in and turning on the right round knob. We picked ours up at night and couldn't find any adjustments until the next day.
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    "If you check the dealers websites you'll see that they continue to show some of the Limiteds available."

Thanks, Mikes; I'll see if that works. Kay Jennings website has not been kept up to date and doesn't reflect what's really there (my only complaint about this dealer).

On the issue of the XM radio, it was listed as retailing at $449, as others have noted. But some folks have been charged an installation fee above that. I don't think that's right--the price I was quoted included installation and activation.
  • carnackcarnack Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if you can put 20" wheels on the new Avalon? I have the limited on order.
  • thereuarethereuare Member Posts: 3
    Because this board has a good rep, I thought I would post a few things here to see if anyone else has given them any thought, or found any reference.

1. I have read several reviews, but have found little reference to the NAV system that is offered. Past reviewers of the Toyota NAV system have been less than kind. Is the NAV system good?

2. On Consumerguide.com, they rate the fuel system of the car as a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Yet, other cars that get less than the 22/31 get higher ratings. Is there something here that I am missing about the fuel system of the Avalon.

3. This is car is about foot longer than the car I am driving now. I have never driven a car of this size before. I have heard that it takes a bit to get use to, yet the salesmen tell me that with the Avalon you do not notice the size difference.

4. I compared this to a Acura TL, and can get one with a NAV system, and fully decked out for just over 34000. Yet, the Avalon, decked out minus the cruise control is just over 36000. My question is not about which is the better deal, but in the decision to buy the Avalon what did you find that represented the Avalon as a better value in class for your comparisons.

Thanks
  • star51star51 Member Posts: 17
    Just curious -- why in the world would you want to put that size tire on a sedan?
  • jeffcarpjeffcarp Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. I read in a previous post that you are in the Des Moines area. I work in Urbandale and live in Clive.

I did not order the NAV system, as I have a Garmin 2610 portable GPS. Does the XM radio "data" such as artist, song title, etc, show up on the information display screen on the dash? How much data is presented?

Thank you.
    CARNACK:

Before you do something that upgrading to a 20" wheel, please refer to the article last year in Consumer Reports about increasing wheel size.

In summary, unless you really know suspension componetry, drive on the track, or it is just a show car, upgrading past a PLUS ONE size, is very costly, and could be dangerous. Not only is the cost much more, but the ride becomes terrible and the chanCe of bending a rim increases multifold. If you must increase, the largest I would go to is 18", but ONLY if the driving conditions are correct. You will also go through tires quicker.

If you are looking for better handling, there are much better ways to get more precise and even handling out of any vehicle that has fully independent suspension and sway bars like the Avalon. Look at past posts.

Good luck.

abfisch
    thereuare,

I can't comment on your questions 1 & 2, but offer the following on 3 & 4:

3) I previously owned a 2001 Avalon that was about 5 inches shorter. I did notice the larger size of the new Avalon when I first drove it, but adjusted to the feel very quickly. In fact, it makes the car feel more substantial to me, IMHO.

4) I also considered the Acura TL for the past year. There has been much discussion on an Acura TL forum about a drive line vibration that some owners have experienced. I myself noticed this on a TL that I test drove locally about 1 year ago. I thought that it may have been initial new model start up problems, as this was just after the new 2004 model TL was released. However, there are some owners that are still experiencing the problem today. The TL also has much less leg room in the rear seat. Other than that, I think the TL is a fine automobile. I decided to go with the new Avalon for the above 2 reasons, as well as Toyotas reputation for quality.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Some people like the "look" of wheels/tires that completely fill the wheelwell. But as abfisch warns, going more than +1 from the original size can be dangerous unless you re-work the entire suspension. Car suspensions are designed to have proper geometry for a relatively narrow range of wheel sizes. Going outside the design range without changing other suspension components will really screw up the handling, not to mention ride quality.
    "Does the XM radio "data" such as artist, song title, etc, show up on the information display screen on the dash? How much data is presented?"

jeffcarp,

I also live in Clive.

If you press the "TEXT" button on the radio controls you can scroll through station #, station name, song title, and artist name when listening to XM Radio. When you select a new XM channel, the only thing that automatically displays is the station # and station name. To also get the song title and artist name, you have to press the "TEXT" button.
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Hi all,

As mentioned in my previous (and first ever) posting, my wife and I test drove an XLS yesterday (again, no Limited's available in Canada).

We thought the car was quite attractive outside and inside, although some of the dash plastic was of a lesser quality than we would have liked (I have seen other reviews/comments discussing some of the interior trim not being up to expectations). Also, the dash design itsef didn't impress my wife very much, although I am not unhappy with it.

We liked the leather and woodgrain trim. The interior, as a whole, I would say, is of good quality and appears well put together, and is luxurious, although perhaps not as luxurious as we would have liked....

The car is quite powerful and was a pleasure to drive. Handling is about as expected for a large luxury sedan (i.e good but not great). The car was also impressively quiet. The spaciousness inside was also very nice. The trunk room was a bit dissapointing for such a large car, and is not helped by the lack of folding rear seats. (Perhaps this has to do with their being reclining, a nice feature). The car we drove (the only one at this large dealership so far) did not have the nav system, so I can't comment on it obviously.

We also took the opportunity to drive a Lexus ES330 (this dealership is a joint Toyota/Lexus dealership). The interior was of a higher order of quality - leather, real wood, etc..., decent power, although definitely a smaller car - which probably puts it off of our short list. Also more expensive by about 5k CDN. (The salesman said probably this model would be replaced/updated later this year).

Looks like we're down to a choice between a Maxima SL or the Avalon. Maxima drives/handles like a sports car, I had a great time on the test drives. However, it's smaller inside (although I think the trunk is larger and the rear seats do fold down), and the interior is nice, but kind of odd. I believe the Avalon has more luxury/features overall, which is nice - but the Nav is also available in the Maxima, which is good. Price wise, they are pretty close (the difference between a fully loaded Max SL and the Avalon XLS (with accessories) is about 4k, CDN).

We'll have to drive them both again, and hopefully see the Avalon in the exterior/interior colour combination we would be getting, as it will make a difference in our impression of the car. (The one we drove was black/grey interior; we would get blue or gold exterior with taupe interior). (Anyone know where we can see pics of the taupe interior??).

(We're not in a hurry with the purchase).

Thanks!!
    "(Anyone know where we can see pics of the taupe interior??)"

mikeroch,

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/toyota/avalon/100510859/photogallery.html?pg_type=Sedan&im- gsrc=&tid=edmunds.n.researchlanding.photo..2.Toyota**
    Prime Time:

The old, my old, 02 Avalon XL, did come with steel wheels and wheel covers. I specifically wanted these to use during the winter months. I got a pair of alloys to supplement my steel wheels for the summer and other months.

I think all the Avalons that I saw come with alloys now. They no longer come with steel wheels. Too bad. However, I am not sure that the Toyota Camry does not and that is where I would search first, if they make a 16" steel rim and I would again, use a Toyota wheel cover rather than a generic. The Europeans, just throw on steel rims during the winter with winter tires and don't even bother with wheel covers but for $100 or less, I couldn't bring my self to ride around with bare steel black wheels.

Another source is to order from Tirerack, some winter tires and steel wheels already balanced and ready to mount for next year. Toyota alloys, are very expensive unless you can get them on ebay or similar but then you have the brake dust problem again.
    Steel rims sometimes have a more vibration and balancing problems at higher speeds, over 60MPH as the "run out" are not with specs. so they are not without there own problems.

The best would be to search ebay for a set of 4 steel rims that are the same diameter and width or approximate, 16" or 17"(if they even make) from a Camry. I would be willing to bet they would fit perfect. Check with someone who knows even more about wheels and tires before purchasing. Believe it or not, I have NO brake dust on my steel wheels and wheel covers on the outside although I bet it is all on the inside of the rim. During the summer, every month I have to take it off, and then really hose them down with wheel cleaner when I change them out for the winter ones.

Hope this helps.

abfisch
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Thanks dshimkat, but isn't that the grey? (I think it was the colour of the one we drove).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Click here to see the article dshimkat links but the software here broke. :)
  • prime timeprime time Member Posts: 40
    Arthur - a search at Tirerack does not show any closed wheels. However, it did indicate the brake pads on new Avalon are ceramic and produce ittle brake dust??????
  • carnackcarnack Member Posts: 8
    The car would look so much better with a set of 20" wheels, its way to Plain!
    Don't care if the ride is less smooth
    It looks like an old Fa*ts car.
    Need to dress it up a bit
    Since I am perilously close (56) to being an old fa*t, may I say that I resemble your remark and that if it is true, old fa*ts's cars have clearly come a long way. BTW, the Chrysler 300 people are waiting to greet you with open arms! :-)
  • jmf99jmf99 Member Posts: 2
    Trying to decide on an XL vs. XLS for what will be my third Avalon. Have previously stayed with the XL and not gotten the sunroof because headroom is important to me.

Seem to recall in years past that it was indicated that the sunroof reduced the headroom by a specific amount (approximately 2 inches?). I haven't seen it discussed in this manner for the 2005. Is this still the case?
    bperryman got 31+ on a highway trip at 75 with cruise.
    "Thanks dshimkat, but isn't that the grey?"

migeroch,

Maybe I am color blind, but I thought that was the Ivory interior. If you want, I can take some pictures of my interior (which is Ivory) and post a link here for you to see. Just let me know if want me to do that.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for all of the confimations on the mpg that you're getting. That is a big help especialy knowing that the oil prices are peaking yet again and there's talk about $4/gallon prices in the next few years.
    Hate the thought of 4 dollar gas esp. with wife and I driving about 150 mile per day just to get to and from work. Maybe time to retire;-)
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    thereuare

Im very interested in the nav system. My next car will have one! I haven't heard any comments on the toyota nav system myself. Ive heard from auto tech junkies that the current best system is the one offered by honda/acura. Ive heard its easy to hack. One can turn it into a dvd movie player and do all sorts of stuff, easy to use and accurate. I know must wont be interested in the hacking fun side of the nav system. But Im interested in the basic abilitys and features of the toyota system.

psy
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    This is kind of a minor deal, but here goes. Has anyone noticed that the sunroof opens automatically to a point about 3" short of full open. Then if you press the open switch again, it opens the other 3" ??
    Thanks
    You're not color blind; that's the ivory interior (others may call it taupe, but not Toyota!).
    How tall are you? There are people up to 6'5" posting on this forum that don't have a problem with headroom in Avalon with a sunroof. I'm 6'2", and I also have no problem. Others have complained of headroom problems, as well as ingress/egrees difficulties. I guess you'd have to watch them get in/out and how they sit to understand why.
  • jmf99jmf99 Member Posts: 2
    I am 6'5" ....and have seen the other discussions with varying opinions on headroom. I have enjoyed the spacious feel of my prior two XL's.

Guess I can always test drive both and decide from there. But I was curious regarding specifically how the sunroof impacts the headroom measurement.