Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "Can any other owners confirm that your passenger airbag light is on or off when there is a passenger in the car."

douglas1,

The passenger side airbag light also stays on all the time when there is a person over 60 pounds in the passengers seat of my new Avalon.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    From what you state I assume that you cannot order a car with the options you want. You have to take something that is already on someone's lot. Correct?

Any idea what the $XXX range might me?

Thanks....
  • tallguytallguy Member Posts: 26
    This is just a hypothetical, and I do not mean this to sound like it is not a good way to go.

The thing I am not clear about is the ad charge after the invoice price and what keeps them from charging someone $50, $400, or a $1000 and saying that is the price for co-op? Add this onto the arranged markup and potentially they could be making $1000-1100 over invoice and than an additional several hundred $ on advertising.
    If the co-op actually cost $400, what is to keep them from claiming $1000. By the way most Toyota dealers in the area (Los Angeles) have excluded the Avalon from the program.
    Good luck and let me know how you make out.
    Check some of the earlier posts that address it. I know it works on my 2001 XLS with the antenna on the dash, and I believe someone said it should work mounted inside the trunk, but may not be as effective with reception in all conditions.

By the way I just received notification of price from XM going up from $9.95 a month to $12.95. They have added a number of sports stations and a couple of premium ones they charged separately for. Personally I would be happy for them to keep all the new stations and keep the old price.
    I was just told by a dealer that works with Costco and AAA in the LA area that the whole area the dealers have exempted the Avalon. He has permission to sell at MSRP. Others presumably will pay above MSRP.

I have a question especially for any dealers out their. Is this an industry wide practice for all dealers to charge above sticker for cars in short supply. Or do some dealers take what I consider a more mature approach to sales, charge MSRP and when the initial rush is over start to deal? Thanks....
  • mtwmtw Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone post pictures of a Limited with the graphite or light gray interior ?
    I am interested in seeing how the wood trim looks also. I understand the wood is darker on the graphite interior. Is it light or dark on the light gray interior ?
    Which looks best ?
    MTW
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hi. I have the new 2005 Limited, and the air bag light is suppose to stay on on the passenger side when someone is sitting in it. If no one is in the passenger seat, it will not be lit.
    I hope you love this car as much as I do. It is fantastic, and I also get lots of looks with it.
    Hi..while I don't have pictures to post, I can tell you that I have the Black limited with gray interior with dark wood. The dark wood trim is by far the best looking in my opinion. I saw a green Avalon that had the light wood, and I don't find it as attractive.
    I love this car!!!!!!
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    The light in my limited is always on when someone is in the passenger seat. Same thing in my 05 Camry.
    It is for the Laser cruise control. It is the sensor for it.
    To all of you out there, I want you to know that after my recent purchase of the 2005 Avalon, it has been the most talked about car among friends. I have a freind who has Lexus, and another that has the BMW 5 series. After riding in this car, they couldn't believe what a fine car it is. My Lexus friend is trading for the Avalon, and my BMW friend thought it was great looking and dirves much better than their 5 series. I have the Limited loaded, it is black with gray interior. It is one sharp looking car. It is also getting great gas mileage. I know alot of folks don't like black, but this car looks really sharp in black if you are still deciding. By the way, I drove the Acura RL, and it's not as smooth and quiet as the Avalon.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "I have purchased the gold package on my last two Toyotas(Camry XLE and Avalon)--I just bought a 2005 LTD and am not sure what should have been included in the gold package"

Did you buy the package from your dealer? Mine doesn't know anything about one for the 05s.

MikeS.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Congrats on your car. It sounds great! The only thing missing on the Avalon seems to be Bluetooth. Are you going to try the new bluetooth adapter? Or, is it not that big a deal to you? I really like the bluetooth experience I had in an Acura TL and Lexus LS 430. Neither is my car, but both are super cars. The Avalon sure sounds like a luxury bargain.
    "Exactly what I was talkinng about. The roofline to the seat line is lower, and you have to duck to get out. Those of us who are older or have back problems cannot appreciated this. The old one is better for some of us. "

Yep, I had gotten to thinking about that and I just couldn't see any 6 footer having problems with seat to headliner problems, not with the way the seat drops and raises.

I'm a very young Avalon buyer at 47 or even the '96 when I was 36. I buy because I'm big anyway you look at me. Jr. High gym coach used to always say "S. front of the line, you're the tallest standing up or laying down"

Fortunately I don't have any problems bending to clear the door. In past models I did have problems with the moonroofs, I brushed the headliner around them.

MikeS.
    "The dealer says it is supposed to be on all the time. Can any other owners confirm that your passenger airbag light is on or off when there is a passenger in the car. Thanks in advance."

It stays on in my LTD.

MikeS.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Yes I too love this car. When I went to the dealer on Saturday to pick the car up it was on the show room floor and I had to politely ask several people to please get out of the way so I could get in and drive off.

I was at a stop sign heading over to my dealer this morning and a nice looking woman pulled up beside me, looked up and down the car, smiled and gave me the thumbs up sign.

thanks to all who answered my query concerning the AirBagOn light.
  • funguyfunguy Member Posts: 11
    A friend of mine applied a light coat of PAM vegetable oil to the wheels by using a cloth and this makes the brake dust much easier to remove when washing the car.
    If you think the Garman unit is user-friendly, the Magellan Roadmate is EVEN EASIER! I've owned both and find the Magellan to be a superior unit.
    Roadmate 700 is superior to the 500 since you don't need to load CDs.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Yes, I have purchased many new cars and few have pleased me as much as my Limited has, so far. As previously posted, I also owned a 2003 Lexus GS300 before I purchased the Avalon and previously owned a 2002 Acura TL Type S before I purchased the Lexus, so I believe I have a good reference point with comparing the Avalon with some of the luxury or near luxury models. Not only am I pleased with the appearance of the new Avalon ( body lines, front, back, interior, features and its quickness ), so far, it has exceeded my expectations. I am 48 and perhaps don't fit into the targeted demographics, but I am getting many compliments about my LTD and they are coming from folks my age and younger.

RE: Passenger Airbag Light: Yes, when my wife sits in the passenger side, my passenger air bag light remains on. I must admit, I find this puzzling and perhaps a bit distracting ( I'll get use to it :)
    IS there a site that offers discounted Toyota OEM accessories for the Avalon? Honda has one (handa-accories.com) which carries a large selection of discounted OEM accessories.

Regards:
    Dan
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    "RE: Passenger Airbag Light: Yes, when my wife sits in the passenger side, my passenger air bag light remains on. I must admit, I find this puzzling and perhaps a bit distracting ( I'll get use to it :) "

I assume this light works the same as the Sienna. It is very important because you cannot let small children sit in a front seat with the airbag system on. This light tells you the system is off if the passenger weighs less than 60 pounds. So it does have a purpose.
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Thanks dshimkat.

The pics are very good.

I think that was the colour of the car we test drove and I guess it is really a light grey after all and there is no colour on the "tan" side available. (At least in Canada).

(I thought ivory was slightly/lightly on the "brown" side but I don't see this in the pics).

Enjoy your car - it's a very nice automobile!!

Thanks again,
    Mikeroch
    The news stations have been crowing about Consumer Reports rating of the new Honda hybrid, which uses a V6 and electric boost. It seems to be exciting that it will accelerate slightly faster than the all-gas version. But what I can't figure out is why they are so happy about 25 mpg. I can get 30 mpg any time I want with my 02 Avalon, and from what some of you new Avalon owners are reporting, it is still the case.
  • crumblezonecrumblezone Member Posts: 4
    Right on! A while back, I mentioned the lack of VSC on the Touring as a deal-breaker, and I mean it. I sent Toyota the message via their email feedback site. (I'm still waiting for corporate HQ to send me a $5,000 Toyota-bucks coupon for pointing this out to them as an expression of their gratitude, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath....)Someone here mentioned their guess that Toyota would be adding VSC and TRAC on the Touring soon, but it was unclear if that meant by the 06 model year, or halfway through the 05 run. Does anyone know if Toyota has a history of introducing changes like that halfway through the year?

Also, while on the Touring topic, can someone please provide a real-life report on their experience of the Touring's ride? The professional reviews have mentioned that you can actually feel bumps, but given that this is the Avalon, I can't believe it would be a "jarring" ride. Anyone??
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Agree. PAM makes it easier to remove BUT.... it doesn't stop the brake dust from recurring and unless you are very careful, you are getting scatter PAM on the rotors, and then the pads, no exactly the best or safest thing to do.

abfisch
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Go to brandsport. Use the web address although I cannot provide it in this forum I believe. Ask for Larry, and they him "abfisch" recommended him. Been buying Toyota OEM parts and aftermarket for years from him. He has access to Canadian parts and accessories too.

abfisch
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    What are you talking about?
    : )
    Mackabee
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    would you happen to know when Toyota will have the full bras available for the 05 Avalon front ends. It has been great for long trips on my 98 Avalon. also when you change the oil filter, do you just change the "core" or the entire filter as in the past. I have heard there are replacement cores which would make it difficult to change oil at other than the dealer.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    It could be because the 2003 Avalon tested by CR was given a MPG of 20.5. CR is very conservative with there fuel economy numbers. 4.5 miles per gallon or 25% better is significant. They only estimate the 4 cylinder Accord at 24, and I get 33-36 on the highway.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    this has been talked about here and there are a number of posts that might answer your question.
    Go to the top of this page to the right of the word "Messages" is a box "Search This Discussion"
    enter "oil filter" and you'll get responses that "might" give you what you are looking for..
  • dalcollidalcolli Member Posts: 23
    Hey everybody, first time poster here. I’ve been reading this board for over a month now, so first I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for all the info I’ve found here. I’ve researched this car extensively, but this is my favorite place for current info.

I have just ordered the 2005 Avalon Limited in Indigo Ink Pearl with Graphite/Dark Wood interior, Option Package C (Nav, laser cruise control, VSC), remote start and carpet mats. Our total is $34,192, including everything except tax. The list is $37,928, so that would make it $3,736 below MSRP. Sound like a good deal?

For the people asking about how long to get one in - my guy told me 45 days (his next allocation is already sold, so mine will be in the next), that he would know the build date in a couple weeks and the car would arrive 2-4 days after the build date.

For the people keeping track, I’m here to screw up your statistics. :-) I’m a 25yr old female. My husband is the car guy (also 25), but I am the researcher so here I am.

The one thing I have not been able to find – does anyone know of or could anyone post pictures of the Indigo Ink Pearl? Thanks!
  • rtimbortimbo Member Posts: 24
    Gorgeous! Thanks!
    OK, I finally lugged myself over to a dealership and sat in an XLS and a Limited. I am 6'7", 235 lbs, and 36" inseam, 37" arm length.

Do I fit? Yes
    Is it as good as on my 2001 XLS? Marginally less
    Headroom OK? Yes, but only with the seat near bottom.
    Is It Comfortable? Certainly driveable, comfort in a car is measured differently when you are 6'7". You give up nuances like thigh support, how far the seat extends out, and work on things like can I get my legs around the steering wheel, and does the steering wheel impede hitting the brakes. The clearance for braking seems ok.

However, one thing I would appreciate feedback on is I was only able to sit in an XLS and LTD, but it seemed like I had a little more room in the LTD. Is it possible the steering wheel is smaller??

I did not drive the cars, but they appear very sharp and upscale, especially the LTD. They had one pretty well equipped with a MSRP I believe including shipping of $38,100(no XM radio). Costco, AAA members only have to pay MSRP plus tax, etc which he estimated another 10% (our sales tax is 8.25%).

I told him to call me when the feeding frenzy is over. I may investigate alternatives I can fit into like the Maxima, and the Chrysler 300. With gasoline prices creeping up, I think some people will give additional thought to if they want a hemi. Unless I can figure some other dramatic option I will just wait it out. We will keep the 2001 XLS, and in the meantime I can still fit in th 97 Taurus without the central console.
    Thank,abfisch, I'll hit brandsport out later!
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Can anyone post links to pictures of the XL interior? XL's seem to be scarce at dealerships, and I'm wondering what the cloth interior and wood-less dash looks like.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    "Sound like a good deal?"

That sounds like a rhetorical question. I haven't heard of any better deals on this site. Invoice would be about $33,780 (assuming TDA of 2.1% (they vary by region)), so $412 over invoice. :-)
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Congrats! How hard was it for you to negotiate this price and what city do you live in Thanks and good luck with the car
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Dalcolli...OKAY youngster, how did you get it for such a great price!! Give us all some pointers and where do you live. If it's near me I'll give up my $500 down payment and get it from your dealer!
    I’m sorry if it sounded rhetorical. I thought it was a good deal, but such a good deal that I thought I might be missing something and felt confidant that someone here would catch it if I was. :-) People here really seem to know their stuff.

I’m getting mine through my credit union so I didn’t haggle it myself. I don’t know how common this auto service is, but I highly recommend it. I hate to think what price I would have gotten as a young female had I gone in a dealership myself.
    I’m in Indianapolis, Indiana. I know my credit union works through a specific dealer here. I’d be happy to track it down if anyone is interested.
  • mtwmtw Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am also thinking about getting a black Limited. Does yours have the light gray interior or the graphite ?
    MTW
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Thanks but Indianapolis is just a bit too far. The Credit Union I use to belong to did something similar but not with a Toyota dealer. Consider yourself fortunate.
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    It is a deal breaker for me! Living in a northern climate, I'd like to have heated seats as well, but can get them aftermarket. However, VSC is essential up here, especially in a vehicle with this kind of power. What I don't understand is, to order it in a Pontiac Vibe you would pay a lousy $495. So just think about this, you can get it on a $17K Vibe but it's not available on a near $30K Avalon. I wonder who's bright idea this is?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    For anybody wondering about the perforated leather seats...they are wonderful! Here in the sunny south.. with high heat and humidity most of the year, there is a noticeable "comfort factor" compared to the solid leather version. My '03 XL came with the perfs and once you have them it is difficult to go on long trips in a car without them. Winter cold is also better as the perfs let heated air come up from the heater blower. Not a true heated seat, but it helps a little.
    Also....don't overlook the XL as a true bargain. Local dealer had one with SET added leather and Toyoguard and the MSRP sticker was still under 30k. Unbelieveable for that much car. Not for all as there are few extras that many want.... but what a deal.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    dalcolli, have you actually spoken with anyone at the dealership? Reason I ask is at my dealership we also have pricing arrangements with certain credit unions but normally no discounts on a hot car like the Avalon is right now. If they are actually going to sell you one for that price congrats! That is a heck of a deal. When is the expected delivery date? The Indigo ink is the same blue as on the current Camry and Corolla.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    ....is a $280 option available on ALL Volkswagens, and has been for at least 3 years. Toyota, wake up.
    Mackabee, I wanted to thank you especially for the wealth of information you have provided here and hope you’re feeling better.

The credit union guy deals with the dealership, but he did give me the name of his contact so I could go in and look at the Camry’s to help decide between all those gorgeous colors. I had gotten the price first before they came out and then called again last week when we were ready to order, expecting a higher price with all the craziness, but he said it was the same. I was surprised, too, and have confirmed by email and phone just to make sure. He said about 45 days and he would have the exact build date in about two weeks.

He mentioned the contract once when I asked about the market adjustment I had seen at a dealer. My guess is that the credit union pulls some weight because it is through the company where I work, which is a major influence in Indy.
    "...at my dealership we also have pricing arrangements with certain credit unions but normally no discounts on a hot car like the Avalon is right now. If they are actually going to sell you one for that price congrats! That is a heck of a deal."

I agree. The Limited I ordered is nearly identical, except instead of remote start I got XM "thrown in" to make the bargain. I got it from the internet salesman but he explained quite frankly that the dealership would not give the customary internet deals while they are selling ALL of their Limiteds before they even arrive. I felt fortunate to get what amounted to $1500 off MSRP, if you count satellite radio at $500. Out the door total was $38,205. (They said it was because I recently bought a Sienna, as well as previous Camrys and Avalon) BTW, that photo of the Indigo Ink Pearl was great. But I have not yet seen the dark wood that I ordered. Good choice of specs, dalcolli!