Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    Thanks! I mean that.

I have spent most of the past 2 weeks there. I have them all blown up on a screen saver but I wanted to see the front and the back of a black LTD. I think there is only 6 pictures of Avalon's in action under photos. Nissan and Volvo even have videos, advertisemnts etc. online. I must admit I'm kind of a "nut" but I think image is very important. Cloths make the man! I like tech stuff like the JBL website on the Avalon audio system. In the past I've been paying all this money for audio systems and didn't even know how they worked or where all the speakers were.

They don't even have a screen saver or desktop on their web. Shame! There are great screen savers for cars like the WRX.
    I guess thats what I started doing after I realized I was getting a buildup in the holes. Good point!
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Recommend putting as much of the car price on a credit card. Simply to earn air miles. Bought new last month, dealer would only allow $5,000 on card
    and timing was good so I picked up another month on the float..
    Any one having luck charging larger amounts on credit cards?
  • iflyx5iflyx5 Member Posts: 14
    I got my Limited for $1,200 over invoice. Is that a good deal? I've seen posts where people got theirs for anywhere from $560 and up. It's a basic LTD version with spoiler and mudguards, plus $220 surcharge for Blizzard Pearl color.

I am in Florida so dealer's profits and markup maybe different than other areas.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "what are people reaction to indigo blue pearl? Does it have any purple cast to it? I hate that. Do you think the car looks great in that color?"

I've had my LTD in Indigo Ink pearl since 02/10 and am stilling loving it. It does show dirt and road salt easier then some other colors. I'm really glad I bought this one.

MikeS.
    "I noticed a lot of you are purchasing Limiteds with Dynamic Laser Cruise Control. Since the Dynamic Laser housing is black and throws the symmetry off the fog lamp section, Toyota should have placed a dummy DL on the other side to keep the symmetry. I'm thinking, if I get a Limited it would probably be better to get a Black one, for those of you who have DLC and your exterior color is Black or not Black, please give me your thoughts. Thanks.
    Tee"

Tee, I'm rarely looking at the front of my dark blue LTD so the symmetry doesn't bother me.

MikeS.
    "Mike, I will post that info as soon as I get it. You may contact any Toyota dealer and they will put you in contact with the person that does their gold packages. Another route is to look up independent stereo shops as there are plenty that do all types of work not just stereos.
    : )
    Mackabee "

Thanks, I'll be looking here for that info. I talked to my dealer and they don't recommend 3rd party gold plating. I then talked to the audio shop installing my headrest DVD setup and they didn't know anybody in the Winchester, Va area. Guess I'll have to start calling other dealers & audio shops in the greater DC area.

MikeS.
    "I apologize for the harshness. Perhaps I'm jealous of those willing to get their Avalons now while I resign myself to wait."

Thank you.
    Now don't wait too long, you're missing out on a great car.

MikeS.
    "My dealer had my parking sensors installed by a third party. I'm sure I could I had it done myself. "

What are parking sensors? I keep seeing the term here but have no idea what you're talking about.

I've seen small/tiny cameras installed that feed an LCD screen for backing up visibility.

MikeS.
    "Anyone drive in the snow yet ??"

barclay3, do a search on snow, several posts here on that subject.

MikeS.
    For all of you asking about the laser cruise, please do a search. There are several post already here on that subject.

Basically I've stopped using mine except when in very light traffic, like Sunday morning when I head home from work.

MikeS.
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Bushka:
    I've found the 05 Avalon styling attractive from the get-go, but it's shape gave me a strong deja vu when I first saw a photo of one in an auto magazine a few months ago. Reviewing some of the many back issues I keep in the throne room, I came across a review of the Volkswagen Phaeton which, when viewed in profile, looks like the Avalon's twin (if not older brother).

However Toyota arrived at the styling for the '05 Avalon, I'm glad it came out the way it did, but I'm sure there are more than a few suits at Volkswagen who are not as pleased as I am with Toyota's latest hit. Just an observation - nothing more.
    Regards,
    Deannie
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    They're sonar sensors; Bosch makes an aftermarket system called Park Pilot; comes with 2 or 4 sensors. Most people seem to be mounting all 4 on the rear bumper for maximum coverage in that direction. The factory system on my Sienna has 6 (2 on front corner bumpers angled out, 2 on center rear bumper pointing straight back, 2 on rear corners angled out). The Sienna has a little car outline on the dash which has a blinking red dot on it at the point of the sensor getting close to a solid object.

Not sure how big the aftermarket system(s) display unit is, or where people are mounting it. I think it's a big plus in a minivan, but for a sedan like the Avalon (which doesn't offer it yet from the factory), I don't think it's really needed, unless you do a lot of parallel parking, which I hardly ever do.

A backup camera displaying on the Nav system screen would be nice, but again, more essential on a minivan.
    Thank you.
  • marcommarcom Member Posts: 8
    Dajab ... I believe that you have the light gray and graphite codes reversed ... here are the codes from the MSN site. Marcom.

Exterior Colors
    Blizzard Pearl (Mfr Code @E070)
    Titanium Metallic (Mfr Code @E1D4)
    Phantom Gray Pearl (Mfr Code @E1E3)
    Black (Mfr Code @E202)
    Cassis Pearl (Mfr Code @E3Q7)
    Desert Sand Mica (Mfr Code @E4Q2)
    Silver Pine Mica (Mfr Code @E6UO)
    Indigo Ink Pearl (Mfr Code @E8P4)
    Blue Mirage Metallic (Mfr Code @E8R5)

Interior Trim Colors
    Ivory Leather Interior (Mfr Code @I02L
    Graphite Leather Interior (Mfr Code @I16L)
    Lgt Grey Leather Interior (Mfr Code @I17L)
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I took my Limited out just after the last snow storm and was very impressed with the handling. I also took it to a nearby lake that has a very large snow covered parking lot. At speeds up to 35 MPH, I would slam on my brakes and the car stayed absolutely straight. Regards: Dan
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Light gray is code 17 and graphite is code 16.
    Any help would be appreciated. Cherie1

The Internet works great but be aware that most dealers I have dealt with try to get you into the dealership before they will quote you a price ....to take a test drive etc.! If the salesman can get you to negotiate or listen to their sales pitch before you are prepared you may be convinced to buy a car before you investigate all of your options. You must make it clear that you are not going to make a decision until you have completed your investigation. Most of us do not want to spend weeks negotiating to get the lowest price but if you want the lowest possible price be prepared to spend a lot of time. If you can be flexible concerning models, colors, options, brands and time to purchase you are in a much stronger negotiating position. Prices and the availability of certain cars is always changing. If you are flexible time is on your side. If you can't wait to get a new car and will only buy the most popular model don't expect the dealer give you a lower price when there are two buyers for every car the dealer is allocated ...... dissapline is what it's all about. Personally I'm lazy, so I try to find out what the going discount is for a certain car on the Internet and then buy from the first dealer who has what I want at that price. I will not pay for any care, environmental, advertising or dealer fees as part of the deal. If the dealer insists on extra fees then they must be deducted from the selling price. I definitely don't get the lowest price possible but I'm satisfied I paid a fair price.

Advice is cheap. Ask everyone you know for help.
    Parking sensors beep when you approach objects behind you. They are installed in the rear bumper. Some cars also have front sensors. I've had backup cameras before but this is the first time I have had sensors. They are ralatively inexpensive $300 - 600.00 installed.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    congrats gschultz3 on your new black limited. I know you will love it as much as I do mine. Yes, it does take some polish often, but it is worth every minute!!! ENJOY!
    RONN
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    Marcom, you're right. In my haste I simply switched the Light Gray & Graphite codes. Sorry to propagate more confusion. Nice list of complete color codes from the MSN site.

Pat, is there any way post #3131 can be edited or annotated (in the interest of clarity)?
    Hey everyone, I started a new discussion today about Avalon vs Maxima. I find these two cars worthy of comparing, so don't hestitate to go to that discussion and click on.
    Of course, I have the Avalon and love it! I just thought the TL and Avalon were not as close a match. Have fun if you choose to go there. It will be interesting to see the results!
    RONN
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No, only the author can edit a post and only for a 30 minute period of time after it has been made.

You can just repost the whole chart if you want with the caveats I emailed you about before I saw this message.

:)
    Folks can click here to go directly to that new discussion.

:)
    Good morning Avalon folks, I again get very upset when I click on Autos and see the TOP 8 luxury cars as I did today. No mention of the Avalon !!!
    I do not understand the reason for this, other than the price tag. If you look at the list, you will find cars that just don't add up to being better than the Avalon. Would anyone like to agree, or have something to say?
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    For Fleet buyers or Distributors.

Toyota will take final orders for 2005 Avalons on 04/11/05.

Looking at Savannah Toyota allocation for 2005 Avalons, they expect their last Avalon on 05/09/05.

This coincide with when Toyota will start accepting initial orders for the 2006 Avalon which is 05/10/05.

The 2006 Avalon initial production will start sometime in July.

The initial delivery on the 2006 Avalon will start sometime in August.

Hopes this help those of us waiting to purchase the 2006 Avalon.

Tee
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Hi Ronn, it's good to see you posting again my friend. I will look at your Avalon/Maxima site, but couldn't comment for now, for I never researched the Maxima for IMHO I knew the Avalon is a better quality car. Once the road tests and research matures the Avalon will become part of the 8. Remember the others were introduced earlier, the Avalon in Feb, so with time it will move to the top.
    I couldn't find the site? Clicking on Pats post doesn't take me there.
  • kirkendollkirkendoll Member Posts: 21
    I have heard mention of the 06 avalon due out in may of this year. Is this correct? Has anybody seen the 06 avalon, I have the 05 Blizzard Peal on order w/ ivory interior. carpet, spoiler, VSC, remote start, paid 500. over invoice in kansas.
    If you click on the link in my post, which is the highlighted word "here", you will get there.

Or click on this link: Avalon vs. Maxima

I guarantee you that will work. ;)
  • hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    Tee, thanks for the info. I think I may wait and order one to be delivered right away. I was going to have to order a 05 anyway so it will only be 3 months longer to wait. Thanks alot. Hawkeye
  • dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    I'm getting the JBL Synthesis AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, 360 watts maximum output with 12 speakers including subwoofer, Radio Data System (RDS), on my new xls.

Does it play mp3 files?
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I don't know what kind of gas, it was the first full tank provided by the dealer. 100% around town driving, no highway at all. I opted for the 89 octane when I filled it. Getting over 25% better milage than my 01 XLS I can almost justify my Limited on economy grounds with the price of gas over $2 a gallon now.
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Great idea Ron!!!

I have posted to the new discussion a somewhat "lengthy" list of my wife's and my opnions on the two.....any comments welcome.

Mikeroch.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    See my post #3162.

Tee
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    justme, the Desert sand is shown in the colors tab. Also for those of you that are confused about the interior colors LB16 is the graphite. If you go ahead and configure your vehicle in the build you own section and go through all the steps up to "your vehicle" then select "print this page" it will show the exterior color and the interior color as a code, for example: INDIGO INK/GRAPHITE will show as 08P4/LB16 on a Limited, on an XLS it will show 08P4/LA16 as the LB designates perforated leather, LA regular leather. LE18 is charcoal leather on the Touring model. LA02 is Ivory leather LBO2 is perforated leather. I don't have the light gray as I mentioned before our distributor is not ordering any cars with the light gray. I would suspect it's probably LA11 and LB11. Hope this helps.
    Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The light gray code is LB17 and LA17 for perforated leather and regular leather.
    Mackabee
  • lamikellamikel Member Posts: 19
    I think they are 235/35/20 The rims are Ice Metal- IM888-20. Ill take a pic of the car, but i dont know how to post on here
  • cherie1cherie1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks so much for your advice. I know that I need to stay strong and walk away if they try to pressure me to much (the little old lady thing??). I am trying to get all my ducks in the right row though. Thanks to people on the internet. It really helps. It sounds like if I find a dealer that will sell me the base model of the Avalon Limited for about $2,000-$2,200 less than MSRP that would be a fair deal?? Plus tax and lic.fee. Is there a better time to try and get a good deal? Like Aug. or winter? Where exactly can a dealer take off some of the cost on their side? Thanks again...Cherie1
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Why was Lexus GS a 2006 and the Avalon a 2005?

Is the 2005 Avalon a beta and the MSRP was set artificially low to get buyers (most of us think the car is a great value)? Why such a short production run on the 2005? Is it a test run basically to get stats on buying trends, peoples likes and dislikes, and manufacturing problems and then retool and come out with a better product for 2006? I have a gut feeling that the 2006 will be more expensive (more than the normal yearly increase because it will be in demand and better), offer more interior color options and more of the options on the Limited will be available on the other models (and maybe make the sunroof optional). I have no idea how much can be changed between model years.

I'm just throwing out thoughts (not facts) for others to comment. Being a programmer I don't know too much about this stuff.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Mackabee, dajab & others -

Thanks for the info on the leather interior code numbers. Finally got that straight. Now only question is how to specify dark or light wood trim. I assume Graphite leather comes with dark wood only, but according to an earlier post, the Light Gray leather may come with either dark or light wood? Or is that not true? How do you specify exactly what you want?

Max
    Curious to hear what people think of the CTS Cad compared to the 2005 Avalon? I am worried about the American made CTS holding up compared to the Toyotas or Hondas.
    Barclay, I did mention in an earlier post that if the sales are what Toyota expects and even more so, we might see a $500 increase for the 06, JMHO. I feel the current price MSRP was excellent value, and maybe your right, they are testing the waters. The car I really believe is in it's own class. I remember what happened to the price of the first Lexus after it was introduced. Ronn, I just applied Shiny Black bumper guards to my bumpers front and rear on my Desert Sand Mica XLS Avalon, and it looks beautiful besides acting as a protector to the bumper. The contrast is startling. A couple of neighbors came over and gave positive feed back. One has an Infinity and wants to know where he can order them. For under 18 bucks plus shipping, they are worth it. Now the test will be can the 3M adhesive hold up, the store site said yes, so time will tell. I wish I had a digital to post a picture here so I can show it. I'm going to show it to the parts Department when I go in for service at my Savannah Toyota Dealer. I would recommend they have them in stock. It actually adds a little class to the car.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I don't know what luxury cars you refer to, but for the record no Toyota badged sedan is in the luxury class, you have to go to Toyota's Lexus Division to begin at the "luxury entry level", and then moving up to "luxury models".

This is not to say that the Avalon is not luxurious to their owners.
    I need help!! I just got a dealer quote over the internet (shocked at that) His price on a Limited with dynamic cruise?, vehicle stability?, rear spoiler amd floor mats for $33,988 + fees. I don't think I need dynamic cruise whatever that is or stability but is it worth it to get and is this a fair price? It seems a little high to me so I could use some more advice from you nice folks. He said the sticker price is $36k. I asked for a base model Limited Avalon 3.5L 6cyl 5A. Thanks for you help.
  • risaricrisaric Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard anything about an Avalon hybrid, and when one may become available? It's a shame they aren't offering one this year. I just saw on edmund's the Lexus RX 400h which will be available in April. They have just announced an MSRP of $48,535 for it. I've wanted an Avalon for years. This is the year---but a hybrid would be THE BEST!!
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    I remember when the Lexus first came out too and it was reasonably priced and then the price took off.

I think Toyota may be doing the same with the new Avalon. It is getting excellent reviews for an excellent car and then Toyota will jack up the price because people will be willing to pay especially after Consumer Reports review it.
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    Thanks to all re this problem. I noticed this in my car. Solved it by moving the shoulder anchor closer to the top, as suggested by someone in this forum.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    When does Consumer Reports review the 2005 Avalon?
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    In comparing these two cars you have to keep in mind you are talking about two different types of drivetrain setups. The CTS is rear wheel drive while the Avalon is front wheel drive so handling will have distinctive differences.

I can't really address quality issues between the American Made CTS and the American made Avalon with 75% of the Avalon's components made in the USA and the car assembled in Kentucky even though Toyota's parent is in Japan.
    I don't know the component breakdown on the CTS.