Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    I agree with you. The only squeeks or rattles I had from my 98 Avalon & the 05 comes from my wife's soda can when placed in the cup holder.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I've had my Limited for almost a month now and I have not heard any rattles or squeaks. This is the first car I've ever owned that appears to be very solid. My previous two new cars were back at the shop several times for rattles and squeaks. Some were fixed and others remained phantom rattles. BTW, phantom squeaks and rattles is what drove me to get rid of my 2002 Acura TL Type S.

Maybe it's just me, but regarding the Avalon placing last in the "Squeaks and Rattles" category...Isn't this one category where you want to place last?
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    Chipmunk: Mother's and Meguiar's also have clay bar systems.

I must beg to differ w/everyone about noises - I have heard many squeals of delight. Do they count?

Groza
    Okay, our car has climbed the mountain, soundly beat the you-know-what out of the pretenders, including the big, bad "Car of the Year". Please, then, someone help me - What the heck is an AVALON? Is there a Japanese scholar out there who can weigh in?

Groza
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    If you are referring to the name Avalon, it is a city...I believe in France. There is a song that was written about the city of Avalon. Maybe someone can finish this for me..
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Alan, most squeaks and rattles can be traced to the trunk or glove compartment where keys for wheel locks tend to reside, loose tire wrenches get loose and cause noise, or small loose items in the trunk. Check that first before going through all the trouble with the dealer.
    : )
    Mackabee
    dan41...yes, I agree with you. The "Squeaks and Rattles" category isn't bad if you have to be placed in such, eventhough I think they need to re-think that one as well. From the looks of the other post, no one is having any Squeakes are Rattles..I'm not either! Maybe a coke can from another post :)
    groza, If memory serves right I believe Avalon is a mythical place in one of Wm. Shakespeare's plays. It's supposed to mean a "heavenly place". I read this in one of Toyota Today mags that are at our dealership. Camry means "a small crown" and it's derived from the Japanese "Kamuri". Celica is a swan, Corolla a ring around the sun, Solara daughter of the sun, and so on. I don't recall all of them right now.
    Mackabee

ps. The current generation MR2 is called the MR-S in Japan. You can see why that name didn't carry over to the US.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Hope this helps and maybe why Toyota named it Avalon, it is my Island of Paradise as I sit inside.
    Av·a·lon (v-ln)
    n.
    In Arthurian legend, an island paradise in the western seas. The word "Avalon" is from the British word lava, which means apple. Hence, Avalon is known as "The Island of Apples."
    The most famous setting for Avalon is in the King Arthur legends. Supposedly, Arthur's sword, Excalibur, was forged on the mystic Isle of Avalon. When Arthur was mortally wounded in battle with Mordred, he was carried off to the Isle of Avalon so that his wounds might be attended to. Sir Thomas Malory's Morte D'Arthur maintains Geoffrey's version of the legend, "The Britons still believe that he [Arthur] is alive, living in Avalon with the fairest of spirits and they still continue to expect Arthur to come back." According to Malory, there is written upon Arthur's tomb: Hic iacet Arthurus, Rex Quondam Rexque Futurus, or Here lies Arthur, the Once and Future King.
    Avalon will probably always remain a mystery. The theories and suppositions have never been backed by evidence. In all likelihood, Avalon was a combination of places, filled with legends. Arthur, if he truly existed, may have been buried at Avalon. It is also highly doubtful that Avalon was an island of fairies. Most likely Avalon was a holy place, and if Arthur was brought there to die, time has created the legends. Many would like to find that Avalon really existed, for the existence of Avalon could very well mean the existence of King Arthur, and for once a fairy tale might be proven true. The truth may never be known.

Avalon also appears in other legends. In Marie de France's "Lanval,"the hero Lanval offends Queen Guinevere and is taken to the dungeons. Lanval's mistress, a fairy, rescues him and takes him to the Isle of Avalon. Robert de Boron, a knight from Burgundy, told the tale of Joseph of Arimathea around 1200 A.D. Supposedly, the Holy Grail, the cup used by Jesus in the Last Supper, was taken by Joseph , who used it to catch drops of Jesus' blood as Jesus hung on the cross.

Joseph then carried the Grail to Avalon, where he died. Could an actual Isle of Avalon exist?
    hey mackabee. I believe Avalon is also a city as I stated in an earlier post. Not totally sure, but there was a song written about it.
    By the way, I enjoyed the music. I 'm a musician as well. I'm a piano and organ major. Not very good at typing!!
    YES, YES YES RONN, ANOTHER WONDERFUL WRITE UP FOR OUR AVALON. OPEN THIS LINK.
    http://www.motorpoint.com.au/toyotaavalon.asp
    Thank you, Mack. As usual, you come through with authority on another of life's mysteries. And what a beautiful answer - Avalon, a mythical, heavenly place from a Shakespearian play. Aaahhhh, just think about it. We should all play lyrical music in our cars now; you know, with lutes and harps. No rap or hip hop, ever. Never in our mythical Avalon.

And by the way, tell those guys who just bought a Chrysler 300 that they can go screw themselves.

Groza
    Remember from the beginning of my posts I said I remember riding in the first Lexus, and that this Avalon feels as good if not better, well the link I just posted says the same thing and according to the article you get the feeling this Avalon won't depreciate as fast as the others as good as they were. This is better as those of us who now own it know. It does give credence to the fact that the 06 price will probably be up somewhere, maybe as I guess between 200 to 500 which makes sense. You and I said, to us, it's Luxury almost a luxury car minus the price, well this article see post 3709 above alludes to that as well as the Edmunds article. So yes we can feel proud that our research lead us to a wonderful car and saved us thousands by not buying a name plate and still having a great comfortable well built quality car.
    "Maybe it's just me, but regarding the Avalon placing last in the "Squeaks and Rattles" category...Isn't this one category where you want to place last?"

YES DAN, you have a point there, I never thought of that. Boy you are smarter then the rest of us, well I mean smarter than me.Thanks for
    pointing that out.
    groza..I have a harp CD that I think I will play in the Avalon this morning !!! Great thinking!
    My Avalon, my Island of Paradise. For me that's not a legend. It's true for me, a fabulous car, the best I ever owned. Thank you Toyota. Feel PROUD Avalon owners. We are in First Place, it's how Ronn and others felt here before the articles. Macabee as a Toyota person you have to feel great. I called my Sales manager last evening and he was sighing when I told him about the Edmunds First Place article. He had me email it to him for his sales meeting this morning. He was ooohing on the phone, making music he was so happy. Okay, now I have work to do. Have a great day everyone. Smile, feel good for the wise decision you all made.
    Good Morning JUST ME Thanks for another great article!! Wow, I hope all these other guys that thought they were such big shots will take note that the AVALON RULES!!!!! Have a great day my friend. By the way,isn't Avalon a city ? I know I have heard that..there was a song written about Avalon.
    RONN
    just me - Good god, man. Where did you go to school? Have you ever thought of going on Jeopardy or the College Bowl? Brother, that's the most useless collection of information I have ever heard. And it's all inside your head!

You are the man!

Groza
    groza..I think Just Me maybe wrote Jeopardy!! What do you think?
    RONN
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It is a real place, part of the United Kingdom:
      Glastonbury sits on a former island in the Somerset Levels - the Isle of Avalon. It's a lively town, with lots happening and rich traditions.

It has been a pilgrimage place since the time of Sumer, a Druidic centre and of one of Europe's greatest medieval abbeys.

Today Glastonbury is a unique, atmospheric town of 9,000 people. It hosts a famous contemporary arts festival, pilgrimages, a musical extravaganza, a carnival, conferences and other events. People visit from the world over, pulled by a certain special something...
    http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/

One of the best books I've ever read was Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

It's a well-researched presumably fictional account of the times leading up to and including Arthur's ascendancy to the throne focusing on Arthur's sister Morgaine and the pre-Celtic and Celtic religious experience and cultural heritage.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I have to play Devil's advocate here. In the article, the #1 ranking is the BEST position to be in (re ride, quality of materials, etc.). They wouldn't suddenly create a different scale just for squeaks and rattles. Therefore, it is logical to assume that the #1 position regarding squeaks and rattles would also be the best position to be in. To me, the #1 car in that category would be the one with the FEWEST rattles, not the MOST. By putting the Avalon in the #4 position, they're saying the Avalon has the most squeaks and rattles of the group; I would disagree with that, but as I read the article I believe that's what they're saying.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    That's the color I want as well. Have you seen an Avalon XL yet? Any comments about it? Thanks.
    ronn: I was thinkin' Karnak the Magnificent. But then I read Pat the HOST's post about the Isle of Avalon. This is wonderful stuff!

Groza
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Thanks for the information mackabee. I really want the 2006 model, so I'll wait. If I go with a 2005, I'll buy in late May perhaps around Memorial Day.

I heard of Longo Toyota, and I'll check them out.

Can I also get a welcome to the Board? :)

The comments here are quite good.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    If the August date holds up for Donlen, then that means that Toyota will be producing 2005 and 2006 at the same time, that my friend does not make sense. I have never heard of any car manufacturer producing 2 model years at the same time from the same factory. I would believe that Toyota will move the delivery for Donlen to September or October and produce only one model year and that would be the 2006 model year. My thoughts and opinion.

Tee
    Groza, lets be nice to the guys with the Chrysler 300, they have a nice car ours to us is just better but no reason to wish them any harm. We have had posters here making up stories criticizing our Avalon with inuendos for no reason at all, maybe jealousy or whatever. So I would rather wish everyone else good luck in what ever they purchase, different strokes for different folks. Thanks for understanding, certainly you have your right to say that. Hope your not upset with me.
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    It's especially important for my wife to have a firm, supportive car seat for her bad back. The seats in our '03 Avalon have been great. The two '05's I tested seemed fine, but I'd appreciate some response from current '05 owners, particularly those who must have firm support. I'm writing this because the positive review that was referenced several pages back referred to the seats as soft and a poster here (some days ago) cited the seats as plush. Thanks.
    THANK YOU, YOU ARE THE MAN GROZA, I ENJOY YOUR POSTS. You know where I live we have a motorcycle club and we get together now and then. If we lived around one another I would start an 05 first of the series Avalon Club. We would have a Printed T Shirt,with King Arthur atop his Avalon with a long spear through a Chrysler 300 below the Avalon. :) Boy it's wonderful to know we made such a wise decision. You just know it when looking at the graceful lines of the car from the outside, and get wowed when inside and in awe when trying to hear the engine and sound when your at 60 MPH. I haven't passed 60 MPH yet, but soon, I'm at around 960 miles, and on the way to my glass tinter tomorrow I will break 1,000 and visit my dealer near by for the oil change.
    I agree with you. Personally I think the 06 that Donlen will supposedly get for August or maybe moved up to Sept, will really be an 05 but for depreciation purposes called an 06 for Donlen by Toyota due to large Fleet Sales. The reason I feel this way is that they have one line and to be making a different one as you say makes no sense, so stamping it with an August or Sept manufacturing date will make it the 06. JMHO.
    WELCOME ABOARD TINATINA.
    They are coming out of the woodwork with rave reviews for our Avalon. I hope you can open this link.
    http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E25827%257E2719625,00.html
    ronharv....I hope this will help. I have back problems because I give lots of concerts as an organist. I am on the bench alot, with no support. When I am in the car, I have to have a seat that supports my back, and the Avalon has been wonderful. While I have not taken a trip yet, my 2hour drives on the weekends are great, and my back doesn't hurt at all. Very comfortable.
    RONN
    To all of you out there, please be sure to read all the recent post that includes links to recent reviews. It is awesome, and I want to thank JUST ME for all the great information. One great review after another!! WOW!
  • jcu1963jcu1963 Member Posts: 22
    I've read with great interest posts to this and the Buying Experience lists. The information is almost always interesting and informative. Hopefully, my question will also receive a response.

I live in Southern Illinois (near Marion), which is a very rural area. St. Louis is the closest major city, and it's a 2 hour drive. Dealers in the immediate area, including St. Louis, all seem to be quoting MSRP only for the Avalon, which is disheartening to say the least given the number of posts with purchases below MSRP.

Given the limited number of dealers in, say, a 150 mile radius, how would you proceed to obtain information on a quote to ORDER a Limited (I think I found 1 dealer that actually had a Limited in stock)? Contact each dealer with what I want on the Limited and ask for their price? There would also be a trade-in involved (03 Avalon XLS that is loaded and with 15000 miles).

I've already tried Autobytel and carsdirect, but they were unable to provide any quote.

Thanks for listening.
    PAT..Thanks for the wonderful info on the town of Avalon. This is a great forum for a great car. I think Natalie Cole was the one who sang a song about Avalon.
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    "By the way,isn't Avalon a city ?"

I've assumed that the car's moniker was taken from Catalina Island's resort town Avalon. Catalina Island's about 14 miles off the So. Cal. coast. Last week my grandson went there with his sixth-grade class for a three-day stay that featured studies of sea life and lots of snorkeling. I'll have to ask if he took a test drive.
  • mikerochmikeroch Member Posts: 69
    Don't know if anyone's posted this link yet, but here it is.

(Since a Canadian car site I don't know why they talk about the Limited and US prices, but....)

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Toyota.spy?artid=38358
    Thanks. It has been posted.
    This was the link, same story.
    http://www.motorpoint.com.au/toyotaavalon.asp
    Just me, thank you for the gentle reprimand. Sometimes I can be very uncivilized. Puddin' (wifey) says that happens when the barbarian comes out in me. Now, another subject - do you think the tee shirt with King Arthur should have blobs of blood squirting out of the 300's engine bay where his spear is?

Groza
    You're funny, why not, green blood from the transmission. :)
  • cc12wittcc12witt Member Posts: 8
    In the motion picture, "The Benny Goodman Story", the song "Avalon" is featured, but only as an instrumental. It is a Goodman classic. Bing Crosby has a wonderful vocal rendition on a Decca LP entitled "New Tricks" (Decca DL 8575). Enjoy!
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Avalon is a seaside resort town about 20 miles south of Atlantic City NJ. Don't know about the song but it may be associated to this town.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I wish everyone luck about getting a 2006 in August. I have been in several assembly plants in the northeast and each year the plants take a shutdown to change over to the new models. Sometimes it take a month to convert the lines. How much time Toyota will need to change over is hard to say, there will be delay.

My Toyota dealer told me they ordered their 2005 Avalons in the middle of December for second week in February delivery. They tell me anyone who happens to get their Limited in 30 days had to be on the list that had been placed earlier.

I ordered my Limited on Feb.19 and no build date has been issued. I would like to know if an orderd Limited, not on an earlier order list,ever was received quicker than 6-8 weeks. I would suggest if you want a 2006, place your order now so you will get one of the first cars delivered to a dealer. If not, get in line.ang
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I need to decide this weekend which car to purchase. The Avalon Limited or the Acura TL. I recognize the differences and candidly either could make me happy. I am currently driving a Cadillac DTS and the lease expires shortly. I am hopeful the some of you will find a few minutes to give me your opinions of the new Avalon. Specifically what is it like to drive a night. Is the dash well lighted and is the ambiet lighting like the TL? Do all of the buttons on the dash and steering wheel have lights and wthat is the general opinion of visability?. Both are fine automobiles and I am really on the fence. Thanks for the help.
    It would seem to me the best way to know for yourself is to take a trip to your dealers showrooms and test ride them both at night. That would be better than perhaps taking any ones biased opinion on here. Yes the AVALON is a great car, luxury to many of us that post here. Personally, I don't believe the TL measures up to the Avalon, that's not biased but the results of driving both of them. The TL has no room in the rear, so if your one that has passengers in back, I think you know what the answer is. It's your decision to make. Good Luck whatever you decide.
    Tina, why deny yourself the pleasure of the car you want until the 2006? Whenever that one comes out. If you want one now I'd say go for it! Life is short and we never know what tomorrow will bring.
    Mackabee
    Ange, there won't be any retooling for the 2006 since the car was just redesigned. As I posted before the car will look identical to what it does now.
    Mackabee
    Thanks ronn, it was just a small riff I came up with at the spurt of the moment. Also thanks to Justme, I wasn't sure if it was Shakespeare or King Arthur although I was sure about the heavenly place or paradise. Good job guys.

P.S anyone seen the Silver pine color? It is absolutely gorgeous! I think it will appeal more to the ladies than the guys. We got an XLS in yesterday in that color with the Ivory interior and our GM's secretary was ready to buy it for herself. I would recommend you guys take your wifes to see this color. They will love it!*

*Pat, this is not I REPEAT NOT a solicitation for business. Just commenting on a new color never before seen on a Toyota, I believe the Lexus LS has carried it before.
    Mackabee
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Now this should give a great perspective to anyone wondering "who is buying the new Avalon?"

Avalon is a popular vacation spot in New Jersey.

Avalon is a very popular night club in NYC.

Avalon is an XM Radio program hosted by Victor Dinaire and played on one of the 3 dance channels. (can't remember which)

Avalon is the title to one of the most popular dance tracks being played all over the world and sung by an artist by the name of Juliet. Coincidence? hmmmm

Yup, young and old are interested in the Avalon and WOW was that a different perspective.
    :-)

And here's another thought... If the Avalon was designed and made in the grand ole USA, who's to say that we didn't name it? And for that matter, wouldn't an East Coast vacation spot make sense? Now there's a double jeapardy question for ya!! It's interesting that the one word that they used to name this car has so many implications. They were trying to make this car more appealing to the younger crowd and they succeeded.