Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    I went the other way. I waited for the LaCrosse, and am happy the Toyota is here I was a GM buyer for the last 8 years(5 of them). Interestingly, they were very late with their new minivans, which helped me find the Sienna we bought, and they were also very late with the Lacrosse.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    NO, they are not gospel, but if you understand the methodology, other things being equal, using those reports can help you find a vehicle with a higher likelihood of long term dependability.

~alpha
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know how many Avalons Toyota sells annually?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Not a lot. Per autosite.com, calendar year so far January thru end of May they sold 16,948. If you extrapolate that sales rate for a full year, it is 40,675 a year.
  • foxy1foxy1 Member Posts: 1
    I saw a picture of the remodelled Avalon 2005 (0r is it 2006) in CAR and DRIVER .....I think it is ugly and will not do what I always do...that is, to buy the Avalon during it's first model change year as I did in '95 and '00.
    Relax. Thats not the Avalon, from what most people seem to be saying. I agree though. Very ugly pic in Car and Driver.

~alpha
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    But has someone ever seen the next avalon? This pic is probably just a supposition of what it could look like from a stupid person. Perhaps the designers hired to desing the next avalon aren't even finished!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Oh, they're finished. And those who know are under contract not to tell.

Toyota is better than most at keeping things quiet. Don't want to disrupt sales of the current model, you see?
    Sales of the current model aren't really good anyway so I don't see why they wouldn't show us the next avalon because some people interested in buying that type of car may not wait till the new one hits the showrooms: perhaps these people don't know they should wait because Toyota didn't show to anybody its next avalon. So they finally buy another car because they didn't know...
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I'm buying a car this December... if the Avalon is a KNOCKOUT then I will strongly consider delaying my purchase to get one.. but if I know nothing about the car at that point in time then I just won't bother. Hopefully news will be forthcoming soon.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    The Avalon has been shown at regional dealer meetings and to some big fleet clients. It is receiving rave reviews from both, especially some new features like heated and cooled front seats and adjustable rear seats.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    In that regard Toyota is just playing catchup with itself (many features said to be on the new Avalon, like Smart Start, HID headlights, 5 speed transmission, etc. are and have been available for some time on other and/or lesser Toyota models) as well as with its competition (> 250 HP engine, reclining rear seats (Infiniti G35). These improvements are clearly overdue. Computer manufacturers like Apple and Dell are notorious for withholding any information on a new model until the day of release, but Toyota might wish to make some selective press releases in advance, as many people are being drawn to flashy models like the Cadillac CTS and Chrysler 300. Given my feelings about superior Avalon features like rear seat room and Toyota reliability vs GM and Chrysler, I'm willing to wait, but many others may not be unless Toyota gives them more concrete reasons to do so.
    "Computer manufacturers like Apple and Dell are notorious for withholding any information on a new model until the day of release, but Toyota might wish to make some selective press releases in advance, as many people are being drawn to flashy models like the Cadillac CTS and Chrysler 300."

If the new Avalon is even half as feature and power rich, and beautifully executed as the rumors make it sound, it will not have a hard time winning buyers even if the first time people see it is on its release date.

I am slightly concerned that 270-275 hp and its accompanying torque running through the front tires may cause some torque steer issues, but Im also sure Toyota hasnt had a blind eye to the critism of the Maxima, for example, and the latest FWD Northstar Caddys really didnt suffer either, so I think Toyota can do it.

~alpha
  • bubbaboybubbaboy Member Posts: 7
    Were there regional dealers informed if the new Avalon is '05 or'06, and is January the available date?
    Right now, they are scheduled to go on sale in Feb. There is no official model year attached yet, so I think maybe they haven't decided themselves!
  • bubbaboybubbaboy Member Posts: 7
    New Avalon rebates:

$1250 rebate on 2004 XL

$500 rebate on the XLS

Too late, I just bought a new XLS 3 weeks ago.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Saw this item in my paper this morning:

"Toyota has cut production of the Avalon sedan at its Georgetown plant amid a slide in sales. Through July, Toyota sold 23,446 Avalons, down from nearly 64,000 during the first seven months of 2000, when it launched the current version. While model age is a factor, Avalon's biggest problem is that it isn't as necessary as it was a few years ago, said Catherine Madden, an analyst with Global Insight in Boston. Full-size family sedan sales have been falling at all automakers as family buyers turn to sport utility vehicles, crossovers and minivans. Also, mid-size sedans such as Toyota's Camry have gotten bigger."

Maybe another reason for sliding sales is those waiting to see the redesigned model. It will be interesting to see if the new model can match the 64,000 sales in seven months the current model achieved when first introduced.

BTW -- I'm a former Camry owner, now Accord owner, who shopped the Avalon and still have an interest in it, especially the new model.
    Now that they see people don't buy the current one because the camry is a better buy, why don't they present us the next generation right now, in august-september or october as a 2005 model? That could stop the slide in sales. People are waiting for it and don't want to wait until february 2005 to buy a 2006 avalon! They'll just buy something else, like nissan maximas because toyota doesn't want to present right now its next avalon.
  • garybowgarybow Member Posts: 6
    Any rumors regarding the availability of bench seats on the next Avalon? without them it looks like a Deville for the next car.
  • tom2225tom2225 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a web site with a pic of the new Avalon?
  • onglidepathonglidepath Member Posts: 6
    The URL for the photo of the 2005 Avalon is http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6957 This is the photo in my recent magazine too but I have also read (somewhere) that this is not the 2005 Avalon. Anyone have better information?
    You may wish to skim this entire forum for background. This picture has been cited and discounted at least twice earlier in this forum as not being the true 2005 Avalon. See also #371 in this forum, where the "real" Avalon is described as getting "rave" reviews at dealer previews.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I am absolutely positive the picture is not the 2005 Avalon.
  • mh3mh3 Member Posts: 11
    Just confirming sbell's post. I sell Toyotas and was at a training session last week and saw a much more accurate rendering. The real Avalon is very Lexus-like.

I don't know what the previous picture is.
  • mh3mh3 Member Posts: 11
    Heh. Just confirmed that sbell is a coworker of mine.

More proof for my theory that internet message boards are just the same 50-100 people using different names.
  • jayareyouingjayareyouing Member Posts: 7
    I believe this is it. Not the best picture (scan of a fax) but not bad.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jayareyouing/detail?.dir=e763&.- dnm=533a.jpg
    Bench seats will not be available on the new Avalon. As a matter of fact, they have stopped producing bench seats on the current model also.
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    Is the XLS bench seat model available with a navigation system, heated seats with driver memory? and; How many powered adjustments are there on the front seats on both the bench and bucket seat models?
    Interesting pic... thanks!! I think you nailed it. If I had to "imagine" what the next avalon would look like, that pic would sum it up for me.

It's hard to judge with such a limited view, but this car is looking VERY interesting.....
  • jayareyouingjayareyouing Member Posts: 7
    Look at the Lexus GS. I see a similarity.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I find it hard to warm up to this dull looking piece of sheet metal. This new Avalon has the charisma and looks of a watermelon. In terms of evolution I don't see this as an improvement. Yikes!
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Hopefully, it will look much better in person, but the current Avalon hasn't exactly drawn styling raves either.

This new photo is attracting ultra-intense yawning fits.
    Was this an internal Toyota document? Looks like it was done by the same guy(s) that did the Sienna, which has also been criticized for "bland" styling. Still, a big improvement over the current Avalon, and I like my Sienna more than the "cutting edge" Nissan Quest.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    The picture is very interesting. Thanks for the preview. Looks like Lexus headlights bonded to a small Lincoln TownCar. Surely they can do better......
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Toyota probably intentionally kept the look on the somewhat conservative bland side. They can't afford to alienate traditional Avalon buyers aka; aging baby boomers in their fifties and sixties. But still the new Avy is much better looking than the outgoing model.
    ...is right up my alley. I just like cars that look, feel, and drive luxuriously - and no, I am not pushing 90 in the age meter.

I think the new Avalon will fit in nicely for people who want lexus features at a toyota price. If that pic is really the 05... am I the only one who sees a hint of Infiniti in that outer design?

Now it is just a matter of getting used to going to Southeast Toyota dealers to conduct business... anyone in for over-priced and useless rust proofing,paint sealants, fabric protectants, and $300 window etching?(yuck).
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    AGING boomers in their fifties? OUCH!

Thanks a lot, you young whippersnapper, you! :)
  • agngbabyboomeragngbabyboomer Member Posts: 1
    Looks like a Nissan Altima to me.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I was just trying to point out the demographic of the people who makes up the bulk of Avalon buyers.
  • cmcardlecmcardle Member Posts: 71
    31 years old, white collar job, wife and little girl at home in the burbs, and I'm anxiously waiting to see what comes out.

I'm a taller guy, have a loaded Highlander now, and want to get into a sedan when my lease is up next summer.

I want all the goodies, in a bigger package, without going over $40k. And if it's closer to $30k, great! I can get there with a used RL or GS, and for new cars, TL's are too short on headroom, and I want a little more than Accord or Camry have to offer.

The "Touring" option described in post 332 sounds just about perfect, perhaps with the option to add some of the other bells and whistles.

Hopefully the Avalon swings a little closer to a 7 Series (big and sporty) than a Roadmaster (big and nautical)... or at least has the option of doing so.
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    Thanks for the picture. It looks somewhat like the 2004 Toyota Crown Royal. See picture below, especially the headlights and hood:

• qualitynutqualitynut Member Posts: 36
    I second your comments and was describing the picture to my wife before reading your entry and mentioned that it reminded me of an Infinity G35 front.

I chose the Avalon due to the awesome cabin environment (quiet, well dampened ride, nice materials used, size). I drive over 40k miles a year and the ride and low noise environment make a huge difference to me.

Might get Lexus some day but probably can't justify the extra $ due to my high mileage.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Is it going to be RWD, FWD, or AWD? 275 sounds a bit much for a FWD.
    Yeah that's true, the maxima has 265 hp and can hardly master them correctly. But there are some manners of building a powerful FWD car without doing like the maxima. Nissan wants the steering of its cars to provide some feeling of the road, and if they had installed better steering components so that the steering would be soft and smooth, well you wouldn't feel the road as accurately as if there wasn't any. Toyota doesn't necesseraly want the steering of its cars to be "real" but prefers a smooth and precise steering. So I think the Avalon will be able to master hp correctly even if it's FWD. I heard toyota also thinks about offering an AWD version, to interest more people to the car to boost sales a bit.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    If you drive an Avalon the way an Avalon is meant to be driven, you won't need to worry about torque steer.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    I just came from another forum and found out that the next Avalon will be a 2006 model (still arriving in Jan. or Feb.)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this is a popular discussion, I'm changing the title to "future models" rather than 2005. That way we can keep it around to talk about future updates after the 2006 hits showrooms.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    First. Thanks for the fax photo. The sales manager at my local Toyota dealer actually xerox'd it. So much for keeping the dealers informed.
    Given the specs for the new Avalon, all I was hoping for was that it wasn't downright UGLY (the artist's rendition previously listed was horrible IMO). Now all I have to do is nurse my 175K+ 2002 Camry (with a slight head gasket leak) along until February. Keeping my fingers crossed. The folks at the local dealer know me pretty well (we have two recent Toyota's in the family in addition to my relic) and I think are taking bets on whether or not my Camry makes it to February. Thanks to all of you for the information, I've been following this discussion for the last month or two and find it extremely valuable.
    Ed
  • reliabilityreliability Member Posts: 8
    jmalciv,

FYI, I was merging onto the Harbor Frwy-S(11)from the SD Frwy(405-S) at 2 PM(PST)on 8/20/04 and I saw what I thought to be the Silver 2005 Avalon. I knew it wasn't the new Lexus GS because I've seen the pics of this from the various 2004 car shows. This Silver Vehicle had the mfg's moniker blacked out with some type black tape. I saw the front, the driver's side, and the rear and all mfg's logos were blacked out. Too bad I didn't have a digital camera to take a pic, because it was a beautiful sleek design. It did not look at all like the Toyota Crown from the front end, much less the side(Driver), and rear. I guess in my humble opinion, I saw some Toyota styling cues from other Toyota Models in it's sleek design. Also since Toyota's HQs is very close by, it makes sense for some of the Toyota Engineers to take this mule out for a ride!
  • covestercovester Member Posts: 4
    If the redesigned Avalon is to hit the showrooms in early 2005 I find it interesting that no one from the plant (Kentucky or Tennessee) has posted any thing. Engineers, tooling people, etc, have to have seen the car by now to get the product on the market by Jan/Feb.
    Maybe I am wrong?