Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    are some of the most loyal people you will ever find. They are treated very well and it is a honor to work there. It is extremely difficult to get a job at the Kentucky plant and you will not find the employees "giving up info" on the new Avalon.
  • robmatt54robmatt54 Member Posts: 11
    If the Avalon arrives in Jan or Feb, would Toyota display it at a major Auto Show this fall? There may not be any major shows in the fall. The Detroit show is in January. Does Toyota sometimes start selling a new model which has never been shown at a major auto show?
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    I don't think toyota will show its new avalon at any auto show, because they don't want to hurt sales of the current one that are already not really good and normally, toyota doesn't have the habit of showing its important new cars to any auto show, I think they want to surprise people or something like that.
  • aseeasee Member Posts: 1
    I was told that the new Avalons would be on the lots within six weeks. I was told you can no longer order an 2004 model, because they have setup to start production of the new models.
    This all came about, after being unable to locate a 2004 white Avalon with a Nav system. There are none in the five state region (Gulf states).
    So I am now waiting for the new models.
    Has anyone else heard anything along these lines.
  • mtpysmtpys Member Posts: 4
    The wife and I just paid off or '03 Sienna and are now banking that 500 USD payment towards a down on a new Avalon. We plan to sell/trade the Sienna, kick in a bunch of cash and finance the rest. We have a '96 XL and just love it. The best vehicle we have ever owned!

I hope they do come out in Jan. or Feb., but we probably won't buy until about April.

MikeS.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    I've been reading this topic for months now. In the computer pic, the rear seat looks to have limo-like legroom, based on the wheelbase and positioning of the doors. Any word/speculation on powertrain? A 5-speed auto is expected but perhaps Toyota will join the growing ranks of automakers who are offering 6-speed automatics?
    New avalons will be available in 6 weeks???????? I thought it was gonna be available in february 2005 as a 2006 model. Well that's good news.
    Otis12: new avalon gets a new 3.5 liter V6 producing 275 hp. It'll probably be FWD, but I think toyota wants to offer AWD too. It'll probably get a 5 speed auto. A sport package is expected, and (if we're REALLY lucky) a 6 speed manual could perhaps be available.
  • solaryellowsolaryellow Member Posts: 10
    Sorry, the new Avalon will not be available in six weeks. It has been confirmed repeatedly that it goes into production right after the holidays (January 3, 2005). The current 2004 Avalon will be produced until shortly before Christmas. It has also been confirmed that the drivetrain will include an all-new 3.5 V6 with 5-speed automatic transmission. Four trim levels will be offered: XL, Touring, XLS, and Limited. Bench seat models have been discontinued.
  • jayareyouingjayareyouing Member Posts: 7
    reliability,
    How does what you saw compare to the photo I posted (message 386)?
    January seems more realistic, thank you. So 2005 models will be the same than 2004 without any changes and are gonna be available from september to december only? That seems short a lot...
  • solaryellowsolaryellow Member Posts: 10
    Nope. The current 2004 model will be built and sold as a 2004 through the end of the calendar year. The 2005 will be the all-new Avalon that comes out in January/February.
    Asee said he was unable to order a 2004 avalon, so I presume it is because the 2004 ends NOW and will be replaced NOW by something else... There are 3 possibilities:
    Gets replaced by a similar avalon but a 2005 model and this one will end in december;
    Gets no replacement until the 2006 model in january-february;
    Gets replaced by THE new avalon soon (october?)
  • reliabilityreliability Member Posts: 8
    jayareyouing,

It looks very similar. The front end from what I can remember is a dead ringer and the front logo was blacked out. The rest of the body did not look like a bubble but had more of interesting design flair I have not seen in the other makes.
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    It must take a good bit of work to retool a plant for a totally new model. I suspect that they've made the last of the 04's, or at least are close enough to the end of the run that they won't take any more custom orders, and will be in the process of retooling for the next few months. Then they have to produce enough of the 05's to fill the pipeline prior to the introduction in February. Sounds about right to me..
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    OK, once again, the 2004 is being built through December. The new Avalon goes into production in January for February delivery to dealers. The bench seat is no longer in production, and green and blue are being phased out now.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    The 4th possibility is that you haven't been paying attention; see post #422 (directly above yours, hello?) and many others.
    The 5th possibility is that you haven't been paying attention; SEE MY POST #423 (directly under the #422, HELLO?) Asee said he was UNABLE TO ORDER A 2004 AVALON, SO THAT MUST MEAN THEY DON'T PRODUCE ANYMORE 2004 so that's why I'm asking what will happen next.
  • hittindabowlhittindabowl Member Posts: 4
    I've seen the 2005 avalon spied, it has the body style of the prius you know the flat back. But it looks a lot like the ES330 they both have the same headlight style. It also had 17inc wheels. I saw the picture on thecarconnection website.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    lol
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Asee said he was told the new Avalons would be on the lots in 6 weeks, which is (per multiple posts) definitely not true, and that he couldn't order a 2004 Avalon, which could be true. That doesn't necessarily mean they're not making ANY more 2004 Avalons, just not taking special orders. Special orders have a longer lead time than regular production, since they may require parts (e.g., Nav systems) from 3rd party suppliers. It makes sense that they would cut off special orders before the actual end of the model run.

Previous posts stated they're not beginning production on the new Avalon until 3 January 2005 (for a mid-February opening), so that rules out an earlier replacement of the current model by the new Avalon, and there won't be an "interim" one, since (again per previous posts) they're making the current one until mid-December 2004. You don't need to ask what will happen next, grasshopper, or to SHOUT. Just read what has already been posted. :-).
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Excellent post. Thanks for the effective recap!

~alpha
  • lena132lena132 Member Posts: 56
    I have always wanted an Avalon but since we already have a Sienna, getting a new car would be a while. Maybe like 2 more years and we'll trade the Camry in?

So there's a Touring & a Limited. What's the touring like?
  • cuz1cuz1 Member Posts: 3
  • cuz1cuz1 Member Posts: 3
    sbell4,

Do you know if the new 3.5L make the 275 hp by technology used in 1.8L (Variable Valve Timing with lift) or high rpm or both?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The October issue of Car & Driver says that the Avalon continues unchanged for 2005. However, the third generation will be launched sometime next year as a 270-hp fastback (the same mustered colored one displayed in an earlier post).

On my recent visit to the Caribbean I saw a Toyota Crown being used as the main vehicle of the prime minister. Many had speculated that the Crown could be the next Avalon. To be honest, the Crown is a bland limousine-like vehicle in which one is expected to be a passenger (to be driven) rather than a driver's car. In short, the current Avalon looks like a beauty compared to the Crown.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Are you sure it was the new Crown Majesta/Athlete version? Or the older ones?
  • toyava03toyava03 Member Posts: 4
    My local Toyota dealer showed me several pictures he has of new 2005 Avalon. (Made me copies but they are poor quality.) Just a side view and interior view showing front seats and dash. Side view is more "rounded" than my 2003. Interior doesn't look very different from current model. Don't know what the Toyota Crown looks like so I can't compare it.
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    My 2000 XLS has been a jewel. Now at 85K miles it has developed a trans problem: On start-up from zero, it goes thru first 2 gears fine. Then it seems to miss third and goes directly into overdrive. Adversely, when passing and I tromp hard to down-shift, it hangs in overdrive.
    Very scary on two-lane roads! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Taking it to dealer and I expect the old story "This is the first time Toyota has experienced this".

NEW SUBJECT: Hoping to trade for 2005 model. Noted on Town Hall several remarks about its debut date. How do you folks know for sure? Long-time Gen Mgr at my dealership states it will be out yet this year. Much Thanks for any input.
  • shellysshellys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Avalon XLS and have replaced the second transmission in in 10 months.
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    Thank you Shellys...Just as I expected, my dealer said 'haven't had any other problems' ???
    Can you give me any specifics in your case: type of problem; area you are in; did factory get involved,etc. ? Thanks for you input.
    Um, not sure what transmission problems have to do with future models, but any way, as has been stated several times before on this board, the new Avalon will definitely not be out until Feb. and it does not look like the picture of the fastback thats been spread around. That grainy picture that has been mentioned is accurate.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    "it does not look like the picture of the fastback"

Thank goodness for that! The new Prius is ugly enough, we don't need another one running around posing as an Avalon!
    I find the Prius really nice and modern.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Is it just me, or does the new Ford 500 exterior look like a current/prior model Avalon combination? The specs are similar too. But the car is slightly heavier. They seem to have copied almost everything. Of course, Ford offers this design as something new just as Toyota has abandoned it for the next gen 2005(6?) Avalon coming out. Comments, all....?
    On the Toyota Media site-Pressroom.Toyota.com, if you enter Avalon in the search feature, there are several announcements dated on 9-15, including "The 2004 model year Avalon will continue to be sold until the launch of the 2005 Model in February 2005" However the "2005" specifications and options are described in detail which are the current 2004 model specifications unchanged. 3.0 liter engine. So I am not sure what that is about???
    Yes, they didn't post any specs for the 2005, since they are still trying sell 04s until Feb. Several of those pages clearly are marked 2004 at the top.
    toycash -you are right, but I got excited since you have to click on 2005 specifications and then the page you see is the only one that does not say 2004 on the top. I thought I hit pay dirt there for a second. Still sloppy - giving you a topic of "2005 features" and then you get 2004.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I assume Ford also copied the AWD and Volvo inspired safety features from Toyota as well?

Sigh.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Yes and also I suppose Ford copied the CVT or 6 speed automatic, 21 cubic foot trunk, 17" standard aluminum alloy wheels (with 18" on top of line model), oversize four wheel disc brakes with dual piston front calipers, and a starting MSRP for the base model, which is quite well equipped, of $22795?

Additionally, current Avalon is a very unwieldy out of proportion styled car, while the Five Hundred is much better proportioned.
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what 05/06 MSRP would be? I was very impressed with the '04 test drive, but I really want to compare it to '05. On the other hand, if I am disappointed in '05 (because of either the price or the performance), it would be too late to buy the '04, as the inventory may be too low. Still contemplating on this dillema...
  • umpireumpire Member Posts: 12
    I have seen pics of the "05-06 Avalon" that looked like an elongated Prius with a Camry front end. Can't imagine that is what Toyota has in mind for the Avalon.

I have heard it will have 270 HP and more cabin room (though it's plenty big now), and a longer body.

If they were to bring a version of the Crown Majesta to the states, that would be fine with me. Nice car!

Crown Majesta
    I personally like the Crown Athlete better than the Majesta, but we already talked about how the Crown has almost no chance of coming to the US.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Nice picture, umpire. Like wow..as in WOW !! Nice car. :-)
  • heymanheyman Member Posts: 1
    2006 Avalon Picture

image.
    Yea, that old news. It can't even be verified if it's real or not.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Disguised pictures and article:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7555

Spy Shots: 2006 Toyota Avalon
    A flagship grows in stature.
    by Brenda Priddy (2004-09-27)

Related Articles:
    More TCC Spy Shots

Toyota 's flagship, the Avalon, will be redesigned for the 2006 model year. Riding on an extended wheelbase, the Avalon, with its sweeping roofline, will likely be powered by a new 3.5-liter V-6 with nearly 280 horsepower.

Moving up a few notches in the luxury arena, the new Avalon will come close to competing with its Lexus siblings. Rear legroom will be nearly equal to that of the LS 430, and luxury amenities will be upgraded as well.

The Avalon is expected to start down the production line this coming December, with its official introduction expected at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in January.
  • jms9jms9 Member Posts: 17
    The car in the old picture appears to be the real deal. Compare the interior door panel of each car. They're exactly alike. The new Avalon, at least from pictures, looks much better than the present model.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Hey, you're right. The hoodline creases running into the grille look the same and the grille behind the mask also appears to have wide horizontal slats just like the B&W picture shows. The wheels look the same too. The side-body crease looks different thought. It looks as if the crease is below the door-handles in the carconnection pic, and above in the earlier pic. Notice the twin chrome exhaust tips protruding on either side. Perhaps the new Avalon will have some atitude to go along with it's 280hp!
    Just hope that Toyota doesn't jack up the price too much. A loaded 2004 is already "getting up there.."
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Don't forget that during testing, companies have been known to camoflauge things a little just to confuse. The few differences you picked out may exist only on the mule, not the production car!
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    I tend to agree. Also notice the top of the dash over the steering wheel. They look identical. If price is right this may be the car to have over the redesigned Lexus GS or Acura RL. Especially when those models will run in the high $40's.