Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    Yeah, I hate it when I get an idea. I tried to beat it out of my head but I was too late!
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    HI RONN... First of all I'm so happy the McGuiar worked for you. Secondly, I had just come in from the garage, where I waxed the hood and trunk again, I'm becoming nuts taking care of the car, my wife is beginning to think I'm losing it, but I'm not, I just love our car RONN. Anyway it was funny seeing your post since I just waxed those two items and came in to check our forum while I give it a couple of minutes to dry. You have to admit it is easy to apply and wipe off. Yes, I turn everything off before I shut down the engine, just a habit over the years thinking it's better when I start it up, although don't know how true that is anymore, but like my first 1,000 mile oil change and 3,000 miles every time after I keep doing what has worked well over the years never having a problem with my engine. Yet I am flexible with so many other things. Okay RONN, I just shared your post with my wife and will call my car the "Golden Chariot". I love the three initials by the two doors. Have a great Sunday my friend and thanks for letting me know it worked, again I'm happy for you since I know how swirl marks would bother me. Before these car washes here in SC that don't touch the cars with brushes, rags or anything, I used to have the swirl marks and that was before I knew of McGuiar. I used to use Turtle wax, the swirl marks were still there. Today I don't even allow my dealer to wash the car, because the guys that do it don't use the Sontara lint free smooth non-woven fabric I use. They would cause some swirls.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Hi all, I've been to several dealers here in the Northern VA area requesting a fully loaded black LTD including laser cruise control. At least one dealer told me that they cannot find LTDs with the laser cruise control at their dealership or any of the other dealerships because "it's just not a popular feature". Has anyone else in the No. VA area, who wanted this feature, had this problem? Do I have to go to a state where that feature is desired/popular? Your input is appreciated."

I bought my LTD 2/10 in Hagerstown, MD. It has laser cruise & NAV. I've read here and a couple other places that Toyota has had trouble keeping up with the demand for the LTD version with the laser cruise. Seems like they weren't expecting the LTD to be so hot.

Have you looked at Koons.com & Fitzmall.com? Try YoungerToyota.com too.

Carmax in the DC area has quite a few 05 Avalons listed but no Limited's.

In my opinion I'm not sure that the laser cruise is worth the extra bucks.

MikeS.
    "...I will now turn evrything off before the car"

Ronn, no need to do this. When you start the car everything else is switched off so that the starter circuit get all the volts & amps. Try it and you'll see.

I too plan on using the remote start and the AC on the upcoming hot & humid days. I used it the first few weeks when it was still a cold February.

MikeS.
    Larry, nice looking car EVEN if it is ONLY a Camry :)

MikeS.
    For those of you that are washing your new Avalon every 2 hours...What do you use to remove bug splatters from the nose of our car? My long handled brush isn't doing such a great job, it is almost too soft. I need something hand sized I guess that will scrub but not scratch.

Did I tell you guys I had 2 water faucet/spigot/sillcocks installed near my driveway?
    1 is city water that has a lot of lime, the other is softened and filtered just for my new baby. Our house only had the one outside faucet clear around the opposite corner of the house. This makes washing the car so much easier.

MikeS.
  • tobortobor Member Posts: 1
    I want to thank everyone who has posted to this topic. I've read them all and appreciate the knowledge I've gained (especially the mynewavalon.com site - good stuff!). There's already a '99 Av in the family, and we're looking to add the new '05.

We've test-driven a Touring, but I'm really interested in a LTD with NAV, VSC, and mats. Has anyone seen a Blue Mirage with the darker wood (I'm assuming that would HAVE to be in the graphite). Would really like impressions/pictures of this combination.

Thanks and keep up the great posts!
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Here's the scoop on Ltd with or without Laser cruise control in Central Atlantic region. The vehicle order TVO for the month of March had all production LTD's without Laser cruise whether Nav or no Nav was ordered. The TVO for April has laser cruise on vehicles with Nav. All these cars will be at the dealers around mid-May. You may find one with the laser cruise which I doubt since this car is so hot that was one of the earliest made. My educated guess is that they misjudged the demand for the LTD and also for the laser cruise, but then again I've still to figure out why they build the cars the way they do with some options available one month and not the next month. :P
    :blush:
    Mack
  • chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    I wax my car with Meguire's liquid cleaner-wax. Been using it for 20+ years. I wait until it's very dry & then use an old terrycloth towel to wipe off the wax - no swirl marks. I think the swirl marks come from the orbital waxing machines or when one doesn't allow the wax to completely dry.
    I have my 05 Avalon for about 1 month now. I'm bringing it back to the dealer for an oil change in 1 week. Only problem is the alarm. It goes off whenever it feels like- for no reason- when it is on. I'm sure the dealer can fix it or replace it. No worrries, it is under warranty. :)
    MIKES,I put a good coat of wax on my front bumpers to begin with, I overdo it and the side mirrors and tip of my hood. I find by doing this that the splatters come off much easier, sometimes by adding nothing and just wiping the small guys, it's like they were on a Teflon coating. I also use the Turtle bug and tar remover, I put that on the hard splatters and wait a couple and then wipe off and haven't had any problem removing them. I'm sure just plain soap and water would do just as well for the bugs but not any tar deposits. With my mud guards I don't get the tar splatters behind the front tire or rear, under the belly. Some really good coat of wax Mike I believe is the first prevention to getting them off easier. Trust me that in SC where I am, we have plenty of those little creatures and the love bugs forget, when they are out your better off in the garage, LOL.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone have experience with window tinting?
    The metallic tint is VERY reflective from the inside - I've not had the metallic on a car but have had the "normal" tinting. My Avalon has the light interior.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    nomar69.... Not in Northern Va.,but I saw a Black Limited in the lot here in Roanoke Va. that has everything you want, including the Laser cruise.
  • nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    I've had 3 Avalons. One of each body style. I have had tinting by an independent applied to each. I use the tint which is one step below the darkest allowed legally in our state because with the darkest it is hard for me to see on rainy or exceptionally dark nights. With the 2005, I had the tinting with heavier metallic content applied. So, far I've noticed little difference. It keeps the car cool and looks great. I do notice that if I wear polarized sunglasses, there is some color shift. I have not noticed any lessening of radio signal which is a caution in the manual. Let me caution that my experience, that I am basing this on, is less than two months for the 2005.Peace.
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Thanks nemodat
    I've had dark tint also and have not had a problem with it. However, the reflective characteristic of the metallic tint could be worse than the darkness. The metallic tint I've seen is almost like a mirror from the inside with the sun out.
  • nemodatnemodat Member Posts: 14
    The metallic film about which I am speaking has a much higher metal content than the previous films I have used. It was promoted as wearing better and deflecting more heat and,though it may be a tinge more reflective, it does not have a mirror like finish either inside or out. If yours does then we are speaking of two different types, I suspect. Peace.
    Mikes, one other thing I forgot to tell you. I also have McGuiars cleanr and wax liquid, which also takes care of most of the lighter insects, cleans them off and waxes at the same time. I just got home from a Sunday ride and cleaned them off the bumper with the McGuiar without a problem. The turtle bug cleaner for the real splats from the larger ones that like to leave their innards. Uggh! Good Luck.
  • nomar69nomar69 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks MikeS! I'll check out those sites.
  • nomar69nomar69 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the insight Mackabee! I guess I'll have to wait til Mid-May. By the way, TVO = The Vehicle Order? Thanks again!

nomar69
  • qh1qh1 Member Posts: 2
    I took delivery of my 2005 Limited 2 weeks ago. With the exception of a center air vent that was stuck in the closed position (subsequently fixed by dealer--apparently an installation defect), all seemed well. (One minor exception- the cushioning in the front seats seemed to be a little lacking compared to my Volvos.) Yesterday I returned from a week long trip, and was astounded to find water dripping from the ceiling console onto the compartment for Audio and Nav controls. (It was a rainy week). I immediately took it to the dealer. Their first impression (after removing the ceiling console housing) was that it was problem with the windshield seal. The soggy ceiling liner will need to be replaced as well. I am surprised at such finishing defects from Toyota. Have others had this problem?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    How much moisture damage was done to your audio nd navigation control electronics? The extent of the damage may not immediately be apparent as it may take time to develop where the moisture has seeped, e.g., rust process. I would also be somewhat concerned about mould forming in the areas where the moisture has seeped. Replacing the ceiling liner is the minimum replacement I would consider.

People need to keep in mind, notwithstanding all of the positive emotionalism displayed on the board, that this is still a first year car and is, as such, subject to first year car defects.
  • qh1qh1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. No functional damage was apparent, but I asked the dealer to use a hot air blower to dry the electronics. Mold is one of the things I was concerned about in asking that the liner be replaced. None of the carpeting, seats, etc. appeared to be wet. What else beyond this "minimum replacement" do you have in mind?
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for the compliment :-) I am still in the dreaming stage over the Avalon. Its too bad these Toyota's are such good cars. I don't really want to get rid of the one I have, although with a couple of tweaks to the options (Touring with VSC and side moldings) and I would probably be standing in line with everyone else.
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    All this talk about wax and Avalons........... :D
    I still have to wait two more weeks before mine is in ......... :cry:
    In the meantime I used Meguiars Liquid Gold on my ten year old Volvo 960 and it looks great!! (Not so good that I dont want the Avalon) but I am impressed as to what it can do do an old car let alone a shiny new Avalon!
    I was a Volvo customer for life having driven Volvo's over the last 25 years! This is my first switch to Japanese as I am not impressed with the current Volvo and loved the Avalon when I test drove it
    I dont know if anyone has noticed but the turning ratio on the 2005 Avalon is very good That was important to me having been spoiled by the Volvo This car also has just as good if not better safety features
    Well, until I get mine home wil continue to enjoy reading everyone's tips and stories!
    priggly, this has nothing to do with a first year car. I had that happen, one on a car that was into it's third year production cycle, a Ford no less way back. Unfortunately it can happen any time with any car . It's not a first year car defect but a poor installation not seen by quality control people and will certainly be corrected. Because of my experience years ago, one of the first things I do with a new car is take it to the car wash and check inside around all the windows, doors, and below as well where water might have the possibility of finding it's way inside. If I just see one drop it's back to the dealer. Every car tested has so many call backs per car, J.D. Powers records and reports these findings. Fortunately Toyota cars, Avalons as well in comparison to other makes has some of the lowest call back numbers.
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I agree that the seats are POOR for such an upscale car. My LTD lacks sufficient padding to make for a comfortable seat and the folds are bothersome. I just drove from Miami to Boca in my LTD and switched to my friend's 03 Avalon XLS for a ride up to West Palm Beach. The 03 XLS seats were far superior and the leather much softer. When I get back to Md in a few weeks, my dealer will be paid a visit. Any others experience this.
  • ccriderccrider Member Posts: 26
    My own opinion is that the seats are VERY comfortable. If I do get the Avalon, I hope my mind isn't changed after driving it for an extended period. In fact, the seating in the Avalon is what has me leaning toward it rather than the Maxima. Maxima has a few more features that I Iike (VSC, heated seats, ample leg and headroom in front, fold down seats in rear, better trunk size), but I like the look of the Avalon on the inside better and the ride is much better in the limited time I've driven each. Not to mention resale value. The 300 was on the list as well, but for now, it's down to the Avalon or the Maxima.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi Avalon owners and soon to be owners. If you are considering a set of custom mag wheels here is a great site to see what many different wheel and tire combinations will look like on your new Avalon. You can even change the color of the car and if you like you can draw a nice pinstripe on your computer monitor to simulate a pinstripe on the car, Ha Ha. The site is www.tirerack.com. They show up to 101 diffenent wheel combinations. Have been driving our new Avalon for about a month now and have absolutely no problems or complaints. Have waxed it once with Meguiar's Gold class clear coat liquid car wax. It puts a great shine on the Blizzard pearl paint and it sure sparkles in the sunlight. Take care and enjoy your new Avalons.
    So I went to Wal-Mart this morning to pick-up a few things, 1 of them being Meguiars NXT that has been so praised here. They didn't have any :( But I did find a handsized sponge with a mesh covering like they used to use at gas stations for washing the windows.

I washed Avvy tonight so what I did was I rinsed her off well and then made up my wash bucket with soap. I used the soapy water and the sponge on the front of her and on the windshield. This took off all the splatters. :)

In the morning I'm gonna stop at AutoZone and see if they have the Meguiars, if not next stop will be Advanced auto.

MikeS.
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    jordan7
    I am interested in your opinion of the seats and wondered how they felt when you first test drove the car . I thought they were fine on a test drive but I realize that is not the same as when you drive for any length of time
    Also wondered if there is any difference in the XLS vs Limited seats in terms of how they feel the Limited have the cooling elements and perf seats not available in the XLS and wondered if that changes the feel.

Anyone else have opinions have distance driving on the XLS and LTD seats??
    analyticangel.......while I did not test drive long distances with the XLS and Limited, I found my seats to feel about the same. I have the Limited with the perf.seats. I will say I find mine to be more attractive, and perhaps a little softer. I think the perf. gives a nice edge to the look. I think you would be fine with either as all models of this Avalon are great. My least favorite would be cloth, as I prefer leather. Have a great day,

RONN
    TVO= Toyota Vehicle Order. It's a document all dealers get at the beginning of each month detailing the total number of vehicles that are projected to be built that month for that particular region. It also details what percentage of those vehicles will be built with what options and also of the total number of vehicles what percentage will be Blizzard pearl, Blue Mirage, etc,.etc. This is for the full line of vehicles. It's about an inch thick document.
    :blush:
    Mackbee
    Mike, I would not recommend using a sponge to wash the car. Sponges trap dirt and all you will be doing is getting the dirt back on the car and causing scratches and swirl marks. It's like washing the car with fine sand paper. :mad: Use it only on the tires and any other surface not subject to scratches. The best thing for washing the car is a pair of old white cotton t=shirts. Make sure you dip them in the soapy water often after going over the car with them. Drying is best accomplished with a chamois skin.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
    analyticangel...This is my 4th Avalon. My 04 had perforated seats. I am approaching 2,000 miles and honestly don't feel the difference between the 04 and 05 even though I now have the XLS without the perforated seats. It's a non-issue for me because my wife and I are perfectly comfortable with the support, firmness, lumbar support that you can adjust which I need for a bad back, and overall comfort. It's nothing we think about because it's just fine. I reacted to the one post that has the Limited who complained about his seats, so I sat in mine again to concentrate on it just to see, they are fine, I wouldn't know how to improve the seating other than making them an inch longer, but you can strecth them in the LMTD. I don't need them longer, the 04 and others were the same, but that is the only thing I can think of. Some people are overly sensitive to every nuance, like going into a restaurant, when a majority of people come out and say what a great meal, and one couple says the gravy was terrible. Some movie critics say the movie is a B, and the public says it was an A Plus, terrific movie, so it's in the eye of the beholder. What I'm saying is, drove the car and see for yourself, and compare to others, that is the real test. One thing every review in the magazines, Consumers, Car and Driver etc., all say the seating is very comfortable and I agree. Good luck whatever you decide, and hope I helped you.
    CORRECTION.analyticangel.. "What I'm saying is, DRIVE the car and see for yourself,"...
    Target also carrie McGuiars NXT Generation Tech Wax. The Non-woven Sontara material I use is as soft as a T shirt that Mac speaks about and is lint free, I apply the wax with it, and wipe it off with another one. No swirl marks at all.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "What do you use to remove bug splatters from the nose of our car?"

"Did I tell you guys I had 2 water faucet/spigot/sillcocks installed near my driveway? 1 is city water that has a lot of lime, the other is softened and filtered just for my new baby."

Mikey: 10W40 is a killer bug remover. Try it you'll like it.

Oh, one more thing. You win the Car Crazy Award of the week for the good water spigot.

Groza
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Some people are overly sensitive to every nuance, like going into a restaurant, when a majority of people come out and say what a great meal, and one couple says the gravy was terrible."

Marv, I'm with you. I thought the gravy was good. But the rolls were stale.

Groza
    b>groza, your always good for a laugh, Thank You, Senior, LOL... :D
  • njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    Greetings, have been enjoying the forum and helped push me over to the Avalon over the Chrysler 300C. Just got it last week after an unfortunate incident with my VW Passat and a careless parking lot attendant!
    Now driving 05 Avalon Limited, NAV, VSC, (no lasercrusie, dealer could not locate) Titanium Metallic (Silver) graphite leather, dark wood (fake)
    Here's a few observations after driving the car a few days 300+ miles.
    Seats - Very comfortable, however seams at mid-back with just a shirt on a bit annoying, didn't notice during test drive as I was wearing a jacket.
    Keyless Start - I'm not crazy about not having a key, as I know remote batteries frequently need to be replaced. Anyone choosing to keep a spare battery in the glovebox?
    Bumpers - Parking in NYC daily, my bumpers always seem to get dinged and scratched. I purchased something called the bumper badger online, basically a rubber mat that hangs down from the trunk to cover the middle of the back bumper. Would like something with more protection but don't want those bumper guards you stick on.
    Display functions - The car needs to be able to display things like, trip functions, distance to empty, average fuel economy all without taking your hands off the wheel. Most cars have this function built into the stalk from the steering wheel.
    And what's the deal with the side mirrors not folding! That's a big omission from this or any car for that matter, did the designers completely forget about this?
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    Well, it's been 10 days since I bought my dream machine (05 Touring) and I'm loving it. For those of you that opted for the VSC.... hehehe I can burn rubber at a stop light, can you? :P I've got 989 miles on it and finally opened it up last night. Holy crap does this car move!!! :surprise: I was cruising at 60 and needed to get out of the for a merging car so I gave it a little gas. I quickly found myself doing 100 within mere moments. :shades: Two days after my purchase I had to pick up a set of 3 new clients all in business suits. This car has already payed for itself.
  • jimmyejimmye Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has purchased a new Avalon with the spoiler.

If so, if anyone has a picture they would like to share that would be great.

I have not seen a new Avalon with one yet.

Thanks
  • avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    Congrats Agent!!! Did you get it from that NC Dealer?

Did the client's comment at all on the vehicle? In particular the back seats?

BTW, how many occasions have you needed room for more than 5 adults- meaning perhaps 3 or 5 adults and a couple kids in toe? That was the original reason I looked into the Highlander for real estate. But the HL Limited loaded (with rear DVD Ent) and the Avalon Limited loaded (without rear DVD) comes to the same invoice. I think you get much more high end vehicle for the price.

My only concern would be how often I had a large family to show around.

But I can always rent.

:-)

Dean
  • swardsward Member Posts: 20
    "Keyless Start - I'm not crazy about not having a key, as I know remote batteries frequently need to be replaced. Anyone choosing to keep a spare battery in the glovebox?"

Check your owners' manual. The key contains an enclosed mechanical key which will open the doors in case of a transmitter battery failure. Once you are in the car, a transmitter battery is not needed to start the car. If the battery is dead, simply place your transmitter next to the "Start" button and press it. The car will start even with no battery in the remote if it is held closely. This is because the start switch recognizes a chip in the transmitter, and no power from the transmitter is required for this operation. This is explained in the owners' manual very nicely. Toyota engineers have thought of everything and the Smart Key system is fairly foolproof. A spare battery is not necessary.

Enjoy the system--I certainly have! :)

sward
    Nomar69, don't wait until then as most Ltds are being pre-sold! That's the case in my area. We have a bunch of XLS on the lot now but no Ltds as we take a deposit and the next one in gets it. I don't see production of the Limited being increased from what it is now.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • avalonfanavalonfan Member Posts: 28
    Sorry about the miscues. Is there any doubt I'm a rookie using computers?

I cannot get the voice commands to work on my navigation system. What am I not doing correctly? Is there some type of activation or switch?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

I've got 300 miles on my Blizzard Pearl ivory interior Limited and so far I'm loving every part of this wonderful car.
  • njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    "I cannot get the voice commands to work on my navigation system. What am I not doing correctly? Is there some type of activation or switch?"

Push the button 2x on the steering wheel underneath the climate controls wiht the icon of a talking head. Then speak a command.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    "I cannot get the voice commands to work on my navigation system. What am I not doing correctly? Is there some type of activation or switch?"

First turn on the Navigation screen and hit enter to clear the initial warning. Then, the only activation required is the push button on the right side of the steering wheel. It's all spelled out on pg 116 of the Navigation System Owners Manual. Push the speech command switch, and an icon will show up on the Nav screen. Say a command, such as "Go Home". If you have not registered your home location, the system will say "Home is not registered". If you have registered your home location (pg 34), it will respond "Are you sure that you want a route to home?". That message is also shown on-screen. Reply by pushing the speech command switch again and saying "Yes". The allowable speech command list is shown starting on pg 120.

The Nav System Owner's Manual is your friend. :) Spend some quality time with it. I'm still just learning how to use the system.

Max
    NJNY...... Congrats on your new Avalon. You mentioned the keyless start, there is a key for emergency use . I personnally dont like fold in mirrors. Im glad they didnt put it on there. Did you see the psot from Just Me with his bumper guards...they are really nice. You should consider them if you need them.

RONN
    WATCH OUT AGENT...you may get a ticket burning so much rubber...LOL Have a great day!!!!

RONN