Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone installed window tinting in your Avalon with ivory interior?
    How are you dealing with the reflection from inside looking out?
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I did, and have no reflection looking out, but I did not tint my winshiled, just all the rest.
    Thank you, sorry once again. Dean makes good sense if money is an issue, but you have to feel comfortable that it is what you want so you don't say I wish I had.... Good Luck.
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    Ange, your story reaffirms my concern that special ordering really isn't special. I'm happy that the new Avalon is so well received and that once more Toyota is delivering a world class automobile. It is very unfortunate for folks like you whose orders are not filled in a timely manner. When I was notified, my salesman said that my order matched one on their May allocation, so I would get it. I guess "Be Patient" seems trite, but being patient is probably the only way to get the exact match to your desires.

Greg
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Havalong, good to hear your installation went well. Your speaker location appears to be better than mine. I'll look at moving it when I get a chance. Thanks for the tip.

johni
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    'puterguy, since you're having a hard time deciding why not throw the Toyota Highlander into the mix? It's the Lexus' cousin and you'll save even more! Heck there's rebates on those babies right now in most regions. Or better yet get the hybrid version of either the Lexus or Toyota (same vehicle as far as I'm concerned although the Highlander is a little bigger on the inside) ;) Or maybe the new Lexus GS?? Seems to me you're hung up on the "luxury" nameplates.
    Mackabee :blush:
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The reason the engine stops when you open the door is for safety reasons. Also to avoid a potential thief (carjacker) from just running up and knocking you down and taking the car.
    Mackabee
    :)
    Can you tell me if it is metallic tint?
    No I decided against the metallic tint, Yet my tint does a great job here in SC near Ga border, so it does get hot. It makes a huge difference when I park the car after putting my sunshade against the windshield, and when driving with the A/C on, the heat I used to feel in the days of no tint is no longer a problem.
  • ccriderccrider Member Posts: 26
    Question - The heated and cooled seats are not offered on the Touring. The dealership has offered to do heated seats (they can't do the ventilation for cooling) for $195 a seat. Is that a reasonable price and can it be done adequately without the factory doing it? I'm currently at an offer of $750 above invoice and $565 under what my trade-in is worth according to kbb. I would like to get at $500 above invoice and what my trade-in is worth. Difference of $815. I figured my trade-in at fair condition because I have a dent in the passenger side (parked too close to a damn post at convenience store). You think that's an accurate description or shoould it be poor? Also, has anybody noticed a gap between the tops of the rear seats and the area behind the seats? I can slide my fingers in that space.
    Do you have a brand name you can give me? The reflective nature of the metallic won't work and I'd like to find a good non-metallic.
    Thanks.
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    Hi Deanie & alphawolf.

Thanks for the great comments :-) This is the comparison feedback I've been expecting - why mothers/fathers of little ones choose Avalon over SUV if cost is within $5K... and why SUV if ride quality much better on Avalon...

At first glance (originally), the highlander just doesn't have as many options available. Memory seat is an absolute MUST (hate not having this in my loaded Sienna). Also, to me, something about the Highlander's rear seats that feels "smaller" & more cramped than RX330. Perhaps the seat wasn't in the rear-most position when I sat in it - not sure. I'm certain this year's Highlander won't be an option for us.

Great points on overall 3yr vehicle cost/value comparisons (insurance, gas, safety, etc.) - even more reason to save $$$ up front (all out of pocket this time - no loans & no leasing).

I'm afraid I entered a typo on the Performance Plus Pkg. I meant Premium Plus Pkg (contains a standard set of extra goodies that are must-haves for me - and according to several dealers, tend to be standard orders out here in CA). Therefore, Performance (i.e., air suspension I imagine) will not be added on my RX order (if I decided to go that route). For reference, no - my parent's RX does not have this suspension. My comparison point was merely that their ride quality would most likely be better for the mere fact that they have 17" rims - vs. the 18" that I'd "have" to have (less than a $200 option).

Unless I hear that Limited's invoice price is significantly increased for 2006, I'll likely wait till this model is available for order.

Thanks to all who responded. Your feedback has been helpful and will certainly be points to consider when final decision is made.

Regards,
    CmptrGuy74
  • leinadleinad Member Posts: 32
    Anyone here concerned that Toyota Avalon has an aluminum camshaft (?) as was tried out by Chevy Vegas that didn't work out? Is this new for Toyota Avalon?

What's a good invoice price for Avalon Limited to offer, of course will add about $400-500 with the invoice...

Thanks...
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    I did some spreadsheet calculations on the Avalon top speed, based on available data. The parameters I used are -

sea level standard air density
    aero drag coefficient = 0.291
    aero drag area = 72.8*58.5 / 144 = 29.58 sq-ft
    tire rolling friction coefficient = 0.014
    vehicle weight = 3800 pounds (Limited curb wt = 3600 + 200 lb driver)
    max torque = 260 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm
    max HP = 280 @ 6200 rpm
    overall gearing giving 3100 rpm in 4th gear @ 75 mph , 2230 rpm in 5th gear,
    as observed on my Avalon LImited.

Some unknown factor relates HP at the rear wheels to engine dyno brake HP.
    The resulting top speeds, as a function of this HP factor, are

HP factor -------Top speed (mph)-------- Engine rpm
    0.7 -------------------- 143 ------------------- 5981
    0.8 -------------------- 150.5 ----------------- 6300
    0.9 -------------------- 156 ------------------- 6525

All top speeds are in 4th gear, 5th gear gives lower values. Torque & power curves below 4700 rpm and above 6200 rpm are educated guesses.

With a 6500 rpm redline, I suspect real top speed is pretty close to 150. But, I just don't know what the correct HP factor is.

Any of you have chassis dyno experience, to compare engine BHP vs HP at rear wheels?

Max
    Re: Window Tint, I don't believe I can post the phone number here, but if you go to Google and type in Pro Tint, Savannah, Ga you can get their phone number. You can then call them and ask, it's where I had it done.
    You can try this link, although I'm not sure if they are connected to them, you can try and call them also and see, they seem to be in the tint business as well as other things. But where I had it done, that's all they do, tint car windows and a couple of really nice guys, I'm sure they would help you on the phone, they don't have a web page. Good Luck. Here is the other Pro Tint company I found on-line for you. http://www.protint.com/index2.ivnu
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I had my windows and back windshield tinted. When I looked out the back windshield, it seemed as though I was looking though waves, so I took it back and they retinted it. It has been a month - plenty of time for the moisture to go away - and it still looks wavy. I will take it back, but I am wondering if it is the window tint or if there is a flaw in my windshield. You would think the second time they would do it correctly. The side windows are okay. The dealership where I bought the car is who tinted the windows. I have always had my windows in my cars tinted, but a guy here in Denton has always done it and he is a real pro! If the my salesman hadn't said the tint was on him, I would not have let them do it.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Anyone else here having trouble remembering to arm the car alarm? Since I no longer have to use a key I'm finding that I forget to arm it when I walk away. Must be a Senior moment thing...These Avalons are meant for the 65+ crowd, right??? :)

MikeS.
    The keyless entry Avalon is only available with the Limited right? what does this require to lock it? Is this what you are talking about above, forgetting to arm the car alarm?
    what is the main difference, besides price, in these 2 models...options offered in one but not the other...

also, are the 2006's coming out in May 2005?

thanks.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Any of you have chassis dyno experience, to compare engine BHP vs HP at rear wheels?"

3putt: Good rule of thumb for RWD vehicles is RWHP = 85% x BHP at flywheel. That's what I would use for FWD as a starting point.

Good hardcore post. Thanks.

Groza
  • chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    Why the big interest in the Avalon's top speed? After about 85 mph you are almost sure to see a big Ford or Chevy with flashing lights coming up behind you.
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I must have too much time on my hands, but in any case I just finished a comparison of both models with Vehicle Stability Control and Carpet Floor and Trunk Mats and here are the differences including freight:
    Limited MSRP = $34,929
    XLS MSRP = $32,629
    Difference = $2300

Now here is what you get for your $2300 on the Limited that is not on the XLS

HID Headlights
    Auto Dimming on the passenger rear view mirror. (Driver side dims on both)
    Puddle Lamps
    Turn Signal Indicators on rear view mirrors
    Noise Reduction Windshield
    Rain-sensing wipers
    Wood grain Steering Wheel and Shift knob.
    Perforated Leather Seats (XLS are not perforated because there is not ventilation)
    Ventilated Seats
    Adjustable Heat Settings for Front Seats (XLS are just High or Low)
    Seat Cushion Extension for Drivers seat
    JBL Stereo System
    Memory Positioning of Driver Seat and Outside Mirrors
    Smart Key System (Keyless entry and start of vehicle)
    Power Rear Sunshade

For me it is worth the extra money to get several of these features. That of course is an individual and personal decision. I hope this helps.
    yes, it helped alot! thanks....

so what would be a good intro over invoice offer for the limited and

the XLS???
  • currycurry Member Posts: 22
    When we purchased my wife's Matrix about 2 years ago, she received a very nice black folio to keep the owner's manual and other documents in. I did not get anything like that, just the bare manuals, when I bought my new Avalon 2 weeks ago. I am curious if other new owners of the Avalon received a folio, and maybe mine was taken during a test drive?

Ed
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35

Actually, the heated seats on the XLS are continuously adjustable. It has the same knobs as the limited but the full range of the knob is used to adjust the heat whereas (I believe) on the Limited the first half of the range adjusts the fans and the second half adjusts the heat.

Bob
    I think it really depends on where you are in the country. My best deal here in Pittsburgh was $1000 over invoice. Others seem to be able to get $500 over invoice while still others (particularly in south Florida) are paying more than MSRP. I don't care what the care is I would never pay more than MSRP. The bottom line is that regardless of what you read about the deals others got, you have to be happy with your deal. Shop around your area and see what you can get.
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    My rear window (non-tinted) seems to have a little waviness also. I saw this mentioned by someone in an earlier post. I'm not sure if it is a defect in the window or has something to do with the angle of the window. It might be more obvious once the window is tinted. It really doesn't bother me so I'm really not planning on doing anything about it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Bob
    that doesn't sound good for me, as i'm in north central florida....

is the end of the month actually still the best time to get a better deal?

thanks for reply.
    ok, first offer online for LIMITED is $34,978, plus tax 6.25% here in fl, and tag and $499 dealer fees...i take this is the destination charge...

good or not???

thanks in advance.
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    The seats for the Avalon are made by Johnson Controls. And there are minor variabilities in all the seats, at least based on my experience sitting in about a half dozen '05's so far. Based on my experience renting Ford Tauruses over the years (which has seating that my wife's bad back can tolerate), some seats are clearly firmer and more supportive than others. My own idea of good seating would be something like airline seats, which are extremely firm. But someone else's comfort concept might be soft and giving. Add these variations to different people's back problems (or lack of them) and you've got enough individual differentiation to make the word "comfort" pretty fuzzy.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    "Good rule of thumb for RWD vehicles is RWHP = 85% x BHP at flywheel. That's what I would use for FWD as a starting point."

Groza - thanks for the info. Using the 85% figure, estimated top speed is 153.2 mph at 6408 rpm in 4th gear. Sounds fairly reasonable to me. I'm not about to test it - doubt if I'll ever get over 100. High speed tickets just too costly.

Max
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    Your list of Limited features (copied below) not found on XLS--I like them all, but none of them alone would have sent me to the Limited. Another thing available on the Limited only is access to the extra-cost laser cruise control. That's what sent me up the ladder, and now that I have it I am delighted with my decision. The first Limited I have seen has been the one I ordered back in February and got this past Saturday, so I did take a chance. So far I have found nothing to regret, though I certainly haven't mastered everything yet. And so far my XM radio is a two-channel wonder, but maybe activation just isn't instantaneous after all.

Your list:
    HID Headlights
    Puddle Lamps
    Rain-sensing wipers
    Wood grain Steering Wheel and Shift knob.
    Perforated Leather Seats (XLS are not perforated because there is not ventilation)
    Ventilated Seats
    JBL Stereo System
    Power Rear Sunshade
    "...I did not get anything like that, just the bare manuals, when I bought my new Avalon 2 weeks ago. I am curious if other new owners of the Avalon received a folio, and maybe mine was taken during a test drive? "

With both the 02 Avalon and now with the 05 my dealer put all the manuals in a nice leather (or maybe Naugahyde) case that has pockets for registration form and insurance papers, as well as business cards, zips shut, and fits nicely in the glove compartment. This may be a Mid-Atlantic feature (I am in Northern Virginia), but there is no way another customer could get it because the salesman brought all the manuals in from the car and assembled the whole thing on his desk after the initial briefing. Then we took the package out to the car and sat there for a good half hour or so going over all the features. When the survey comes I will give him an extra "attaboy." (It wasn't because it was a slow day--it was Saturday, and mine was the fourth car he had sold or delivered that day).
    "Also, has anybody noticed a gap between the tops of the rear seats and the area behind the seats? I can slide my fingers in that space."

The owner's manual discusses that gap. It's for the reclining seats, of course, but they warn you to avoid putting stuff on the shelf (which is good advice anyway), because besides creating a hazard, things may fall down in that gap. They want you to "see your Toyota dealer" if something gets in there and prevents the seat back from reclining.
  • currycurry Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for that info. I purchased my Avalon in Laurel, MD at the Carmax dealership. My salesman was very laid back and not very motivated. I just left him a voice mail asking him about the folio. The one you describe is exactly what my wife got for her Matrix, which we purchased at the same dealership. When I don't hear from him I'll likely have to speak to the sales manager.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    I'm still waiting for my manual case as well. I got my Avalon about 3 weeks ago and haven't been given the full manual package yet but have been assured that it's on the way.

Here's another funny thing that happened to me. I went in for my first oil change and because the car is so new, they didn't have any oil filters in for it yet. lol Just my luck. It's good that I find humor in nearly every aspect of life. :P
  • one4damonione4damoni Member Posts: 12
    not sure if he can give you that information since his is photochopped. Take a closer look, it's easy to identify.
    I was attempting to show two comparable (the way I have my limited equipped)vehicles for pricing purposes including freight but not including tax and dealer fees which vary by state and individual dealership. For example here at my dealership the total delivery fees for license and registration are only $133.50 and tax is 7%. Elsewhere, the dealer fees could be as much as $500 and tax as much as 9% of the selling price. Obviously both the XLS and the Limited can be equipped with Nav, XM Radio and more; but the price comparison remains about the same as long as the vehicles are equipped the same. My comparison show the difference in the basic vehicle with VSC and carpet floor mats and that is about it.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    ok, first offer online for LIMITED is $34,978, plus tax 6.25% here in fl, and tag and $499 dealer fees...i take this is the destination charge... good or not??? "

There are a couple of important points to help you/us understand if this is a good price. What is the configuration and the corresponding invoice cost?
    1st estimate: copied verbatim

$34,978 plus applicable tax, tag and dealer fees ($499.50). this quote also includes the addition of carpet mats and toyoguard plus protection package ...

(which I probably dont need the toyoguard)

2nd estimate:

$34,130.00, plus tag $249.95, plus doc fee $35.00, plus $3.00 lemon law fee =
    $34,417.95, plus and not included yet, sales and county taxes..

No one has ever mentioned invoice cost...
    ok, just got a 3rd price quote:

2005 avalon limited for OUT THE DOOR price of $34,714
    Your are correct. I stand corrected.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    cafpaf provided a useful comparison of US models with Vehicle Stability Control and Carpet Floor and Trunk Mats.

For Canadians, these are the differences between Canadian and US models:

US XLS MSRP = $32,629 including freight

Can XLS package B MRSP = Can $43,475 + $1,100 freight (West Coast) = Can $44,575 = US $35,883 (@ 80.5 exchange rate).

Difference = US $3,254

What we get in Canada for our extra US $3,254 on the Canadian XLS (package B) that is not on the US XLS, is:

Wood grain Steering Wheel and Shift knob
    JBL Stereo System
    Adjustable Heat Settings for Front Seats (apprently also in US XLS)

We cannot get any the following US Limited-only features:

HID Headlights
    Puddle Lamps
    Rain-sensing wipers
    Ventilated Seats
    Power Rear Sunshade

For Toyota Canada, if you are listening: of all of the Limited-only features, there is one that I really wanted to have in my XLS. It is:

Memory Positioning of Driver Seat and Outside Mirrors.

I also would like to know why the Canadian MRSP price is so much higher than the US price, but I guess I know what the answer is...

Regards,

Havalongavalon
  • fossilizedfossilized Member Posts: 2
    I also purchased a 2005 Avalon Touring Edition on March 17, 2005. The unit was factory built and I had never test driven this particular model until we took delivery. I noticed immediately that the vehicle drifted to the right. We took the vehicle for service and it was realigned. This made no difference. They then rotated the tires. This also made no difference. Then they actually turned the right side tires around so the back of the tire faced the outside. Still no difference. They called Toyota in Georgetown, Ky. They had no record for this problem. Our service technician said that there had been some sort of strut problem on the Solaras and that maybe that was the problem. We drove the vehicle for another week or so and then took it back again. This time they removed the wheels from another new Avalon and put them on our vehicle. Still no fix. The dealer (Toyota of Ft. Myers, Fl) said they would drive all new Avalons they received to see if the pulling problem materialized. They have found nothing to date and no service bulletin has been issued by Toyota. The vehicle does not pull sharply nor does it pull when braking, only just a drift if you let go the wheel. I am wondering if anyone having this problem has had any resolution.
  • ejmannejmann Member Posts: 12
    I guess that makes some sense...but are the chances greater for that thief/car jacker taking your car if it has a remote start that doesn't require that it be shut off to unlock the doors? The fact remains that Toyota's remote shuts the engine off when unlocking the doors makes it much less user friendly than other brands.Plus it lacks the range that others have. At least the one on my lovely XLS does.
    ME ME ME I thought I was nuts but I think my Touring is doing the same thing. I brought it up to my dealer in an e-mail and no other comments were made by them so I left it alone. From the beginning I thought that maybe it was the wind. I'm beginning to think that it can't always be windy and always blowing from left to right. lol hmmmm What should I do?

Mack... any suggestions?
  • beer4799beer4799 Member Posts: 23
    Crown of the road perhaps????????
    I'm thinking that there isn't road crownage on all the 1,600 miles of road I've been on so far. ;)
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Have you stated what options are in that number?
    Also look on the Edmunds site and/or www.kbb.com
    at the 200 avalon pricing and you will get invoice numbers

Also figure out what features/options are most important than seek quotes based on that .

I am in Florida and feel I got a fair deal
    Am picking my car up Saturday an XLS with VSC, mats and Toyoguard Plus (FINALLY!!!) have been waiting since 3/14

Following Ronn and just me ..........am working hard to name the new baby

Maybe " the Silver Bullet " but am open to any ideas ;)
  • mi_satmi_sat Member Posts: 42
    What's UBS?