Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    The comparison to message 5294 is the Toyota Avalon Limited to the Lexus LS430
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    "Do I understand correctly that Service Tire bought Avalon LTD wheels, chromed them, and swapped for yours?"

pmcb48 -

I think they get the first set of factory rims from a customer that buys new wheels. From then on each chrome job is a swap out. In other words, I gave them my stock wheels, they gave me chromed ones. I didn't wait while my wheels were chromed.

Max
  • mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    ccrider

The" light grey" color is almost the same color as the" aluminum"on the dash board. When getting the Lt.Grey, the color above the wood trim is about graphite color. When getting the Graphite color,the darker color color above the wood trim on top is Charcoal. Dash always seems to be one degee darker.

Hope that helps a little. I agonized a long time on my color choice because I wanted the darker wood trim , so I had to go Graphite to get it . Lt. grey comes with the light wood trim. Very happy with my choice.
    mmg1
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Hmmmmm..... Maybe I'd better shop around for the gold pkg. They are charging me $260 + tax. I do know that company does good work though. The gold on my other cars stayed shiny and bright as long as I owned the cars. It includes the wheel emblems, the Toyota emblem on the front and back and the lettering on the back- Toyota and Limited. I kept my gold license plate frames from my other car. I paid about $40 just for one frame!
  • ryandseryandse Member Posts: 51
    here is the comparison this time The Avalon Limited to the LS 2005 Lexus.

Actually, I saw these numbers earlier and almost posted a comparison but then when I checked Lexus' website I saw a number items where the LS 2005 actually wins (for example, the Lexus LS has a tighter turning radius, it comes standard with VSC, and has optional adaptable suspension). That being said, I can't disagree with your analysis: I'm simply pointing out that the LS 430 is perhaps the only true challenger of the new Avalon (within the class of "full-size luxury sedans". So, Its not that clear cut of a victory on our part :)

At any rate, It is remarkable how the Avalon is a larger car, yet it is lighter and has a much better mileage. As far as my decision making goes, aside from the price, there is one single factor that make the LS 430 completely out-of-the-question for me: The City MPG is less than 20.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just me, for 30 minutes after you make a post you have an Edit link just to the right of the date and time in the message title. You can make whatever changes you want as long as you see that link.
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    Has anyone had any problem with getting these things to work. I have had the car a week now and once I went into the dark garage to test them and they came on. Since then I can not get them to go on. The manual says that if the key fob is too close they may not work, but then neither should the doors unlock etc. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it could be. I am looking for suggestions from other Limited owners. Thanks!
  • brian17brian17 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an XLS and I find it does'nt take the bumps as well as the one I drove on my test drive. I reduced the air pressure to 32PSI and it did not solve the problem. I don't know if the problem is the coil springs or the gas filled shocks. Has any one ever experienced this?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I know you guys love your new Avy but comparing a 35K FWD car to a 70K RWD is a bit of a stretch. Obviously the Avalon is the better car in terms of bang for the buck. But in other categories the LS will probably come on top of the Avalon. It is a bit surprising that the bigger engine in the LS with its two extra cylinder only produces 10 more Hp. But then again the LS doesn't have the latest in engine technology like dual VVTi. The Lexus does give you some exclusive stuff that just isn't available on any Avalon trim. One of those is the great Mark Levinson sound system. IMHO that great sound system alone puts the Lexy on top.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Thanks Max! Your car looks great!
    :)
    Mackabee
    ryandse, "I'm simply pointing out that the LS 430 is perhaps the only true challenger of the new Avalon (within the class of "full-size luxury sedans." Well that's certainly a good reason to be proud of our Avalon. Also for 20 plus grand the Lexus should have something more to offer than it's name plate. Anyway a good observation on your part.
    PAT, thank you for pointing out the edit button.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "I recently bought an XLS and I find it doesn't take the bumps as well as the one I drove on my test drive....Has any one ever experienced this?"

Brian, check out my post #3426.

Groza
  • brian17brian17 Member Posts: 2
    I have the michelins as well and with 32PSI, the ride still seems a little to firm. I will try a pressure gauge rather than the local gas station gauge, to see if the pressure reading is accurate. Is it possible they put the euro suspension in the XLS in error?
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Mine work automatically as I approach the car. I don't think there is anything you need to do to make the puddle lights work. A great feature! Good luck! Regards: Dan
  • rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    Great pics, can you post step-by-step instructions on how post pics. I'm sure there others who would like to post, but can't figure it out.
  • agentagent Member Posts: 56
    The inevitable has occurred. A dump truck two lanes over sent a rock over to my hood where it gouged my paint. Another rock cracked my passenger side headlight housing. It's a sad sad day in Avalon land. :cry:
    The inevitable has occurred. A dump truck two lanes over sent a rock over to my hood where it gouged my paint. Another rock cracked my passenger side headlight housing. It's a sad sad day in Avalon land.

I'm sorry to hear this. Did you, by any chance, jot down the license plate number for the dump truck? I may not be a lawyer but I imagine that the driver of that dump truck is liable for all repair fees.
    One of those is the great Mark Levinson sound system. IMHO that great sound system alone puts the Lexy on top.

What I am wondering is how different is this from the JBL Synthesis sound system? It turns out Harmon International is parent company of both JBL and Mark Levinson. And to avoid comparing apples and oranges: how do the systems compare if you play standard compact discs?
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "A dump truck two lanes over sent a rock over to my hood where it gouged my paint. Another rock cracked my passenger side headlight housing. It's a sad sad day in Avalon land."

Truck drivers are such BRUTES!

Condolences, agent.

Groza
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    How to post pictures is explained here: pat, "Toyota Avalon 2005+" #5183, 3 May 2005 7:26 am

If you have questions, feel free to ask.
    "Great pics, can you post step-by-step instructions on how post pics. I'm sure there others who would like to post, but can't figure it out."

rhack -

As Pat noted, see his post 5183. The free online photo service that finally worked for me is photobucket.com. Set up an account with them, and upload your digital pics to them. Then, as Pat noted, you can refer directly to the pictures with something like:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/3puttmax/2005%20avalon/DSC02797.jpg

where photobucket.com assigns the web address, with your unique account name (3puttmax in example), album name (2005 avalon in example) and your picture filename is at end (dsc02797 in example).

A simpler method is to look at your picture full size in photobucket, right click on the image, left click on "copy image location". Then in the Forum message box, click on Img button, right click and select paste, then click on Img button again. That process will paste the image location, like that long string in the example, in the proper place.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing more pictures on the forum!

Max
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    You can't get navigation with Touring and you can't get a rear sunshade unless you get the top of the line Limited.
    Meanwhile a sunshade is available on Camry LEs.

Front styling still needs some tweaking. Maybe the 2008 update will look good.
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    One of those is the great Mark Levinson sound system. IMHO that great sound system alone puts the Lexy on top.

I've never heard the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus but I have heard a number of high end home systems as well as some decent car systems. After extensive listening on the JBL Synthesis (with at least 120 different CDs so far) in my XLS, I can't imagine how the Mark Levinson system could be that much of an improvement over the system in the Avalon. I don't want to get into this whole Avalon vs. Lexus discussion, but IMHO I don't believe the difference in sound systems is going to sway many people to a Lexus vs. an Avalon. There may be a number of other factors but I doubt the sound system is one of them.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    My uncle owns a 02 ES300 that came with the ML sound system although I think the one in the LS is a higher end system. But even the one in the ES has outstanding clarity crispness that must be heard to be believed. Sound & Vision , which is a magazine for audio and video enthusiasts ranked the ML the best car audio system. My 2003 Camry has 3 in 1 JBL sound system with 8 speakers which certainly isn't a bad sound system but definitely not in the same league as the Mark Levinson. Although I am pretty sure the 12 speaker system in the Avalon is probably a lot better than the one I have. There is a reason why the ML is not offered on any Toyota products. It is one way to keep the two brands distinct.
    Have you listened to the system in the Avalon? I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia that has a decent JBL system with a 6 disc CD changer. The one in the Avalon puts the system in the Sequoia to shame...they are really not in the same league at all. I was pretty astounded by the sound of the system when I first got the car. Subsequently, I read a lot of reviews that confirmed what my ears were hearing. The review on the Edmunds site rated the system a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10.
    307web, a rear sunshade is NOT available on Camry LE's
    :shades:
    mackabee
  • williamtwilliamt Member Posts: 39
    "A dump truck two lanes over sent a rock over to my hood where it gouged my paint"

I got my indigo ink scratched clear off the corner of the rear bumper of my new Limited somehow -- noticed it the 3rd day and it made me sick for two days. Then good old Mackabee gave me one of his incredibly valuable tips, and my car is at the dealer right now get restored by their itinerant touch-up man. They say I won't be able to find where it happened, and it was all the way down to the black plastic. Give your salesman a call and see if he could arrange that for you.

Wait....that was my dealer now....the car is ready. I don't know how much it will cost, but can't be what a body shop would charge!
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    Hi Barclay,

No. Not me at Southampton. I wasn't referring to AC re valet parking. Just a general question for those times when some of us have to use such parking.

pricecutter
  • pricecutterpricecutter Member Posts: 49
    One way, suggested earlier, is to go to Info and select mileage icon. When the mileage info is left on the screen, it reappears when the car starts, thereby eliminating the I Agree screen.
  • tcapr01tcapr01 Member Posts: 2
    Let me know what the top end is at the track
    Honestly,

I've never liked the idea of Valet parking. Especially, when I get my Avalon ... no-one is going to drive it besides me (with the sole exception of a hypothetical wife) :)
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    My wife's 2002 Camry LE has a rear sunshade. It came with moon roof and upgraded radio and some other options.
    It definately is. It isn't power operated like the Avalon Limited, but a rear sunshade is available on Camry LEs as part of an options package.
    Meanwhile even an Avalon XLS has zero availability of a rear sunshade of any kind.
    If you want a removable sunshade on an Avalon XLS, you have to resort to tacky suction cup mounted sunshades from K-Mart.
    With all of this discussion about a rear sunshade, I'm a little curious...other then protecting a rear facing infant from the sun(my kids are beyond that age), what is the utility of a rear sunshade? If I had one on my XLS maybe I would appreciate it more, but I can't see what the benefit is. Do you use it to get more privacy? Does it keep the car cooler on hot days? Those that have one please tell me the pros/cons of having it. Maybe I'll get one on my next car (a 2012 Avalon :))

Thanks
    Yes.

It's like a dark window tint that you can remove when not needed (at night etc.).
    I had my windows tinted so I don't need the sun shade for the rear.
    I stand corrected. You guys are right! It's standard on the XLE and part of an option package on the SE and LE.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
    I feel for you Agent, I know that feeling having it happen many times. So far I'm okay.
    So do you pretty much leave it down during the day and up at night?
    The shade is mostly see through so if you leave it up at night you can still see out of it pretty much without it interfering with your vision.
    Mack
    I had my directions reversed...I meant to say up during the day and down at night.
    "what is the utility of a rear sunshade?"

avalonbob-

To keep the hot sun off rear seat passengers. Yes, a very dark tint could do the same thing, but it would impede night vision. Not exactly a critical option, but usefull at times.

Max
  • pjasekpjasek Member Posts: 1
    OK - I never thought I would find this annoying, but i do.

I have had my 2005 Avalon a week now (Touring, Phantom Grey) and really like the car except for when the transmission hunts for the right gear in slow driving (20-40mph). Since I do most of my driving (commute) on county roads (never really going above 50mph), I just throw the transmission into sequential mode and just drive in fourth gear. I find it doesn't seem to hunt when I do this. On the highways, of course, I'll shift into fifth or throw it back into automatic.

I understand this hunting has been reported on in the media. Do all 2005 Avalons have this issue? Can anything be done to fix it?

Thx,
    PJ
    Not exactly a critical option, but usefull at times.

I guess that's indirectly what I was asking...is this an option that, once you have it, you never want another car without it (I would put the auto-dimming mirrors in that category) or one that's just nice to have at certain times. Sounds like it's the latter.

Thanks
  • analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Finally took delivery of XLS tonight after a week delay
    Late tonight looked again in trunk Had ordered the mats so they were in the trunk
    Underneath was very thin felt kind of flimsy I thought there was carpet underneath the puchased cargo mat but there was not
    Also there is a black tray in the left of the trunk wher cargo net was sitting and noticed it had soapy water in it Dont really understand that
    Can someone who did not purchase the mat set tell me what they saw when they looked in trunk? Thanks Would like input before i call dealer as dealer is 3 hours away Thanks
    You can live without it just like you can live without auto-dimming windows, but it's nice to have.
    More versatile than tinted windows.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    In case you missed it, you might want to look at the picture of the WeatherTech trunk liner in post #5279. Even with the trunk carpet mat, this seems like a good idea, and looks like it fits very well.
  • bikegalbikegal Member Posts: 50
    USA Today mentioned the hesitation problem when driving slow. I sent a link to the article. But most folks here pooh-poohed the article. Because nothing can be wrong with the Avalon.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    "Because nothing can be wrong with the Avalon."

No sonar-assisted parking. Outside mirrors don't fold. No rear-view camera when backing up. All on Sienna; should be on Avalon.

Some may be in denial, but I think if people truly noticed it, they'd say so.
    USA Today mentioned the hesitation problem when driving slow. I sent a link to the article. But most folks here pooh-poohed the article. Because nothing can be wrong with the Avalon.

Well, I will be the first to admit that it's all too easy for us to get mutually fanatical (psychologists would refer to this as "group think"). For me, I usually try to restrain this tendency and be sure to look at all sides (which is something that I kindly want to encourage folks in here to do -- even though I realize that a number of you already have). On this note: I have to be honest and mention that I am somewhat concerned about the Avalon's agility in emergency situations (which includes the hesitation issue). So, if anyone has any comments on this, I'd like to hear them.