Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    Since many of you may own multiple Toyota Vehicles as I do, 05 Avalon and 02 Sequoia, I thought I'd post this link about a Steering related recall.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/BUSINESS/05/18/toyota.recall.reut/
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Thanks for the information. I also have a Tacoma that is affected by the recall.

As far as the Avalon goes, I won't purchase one at this time. I am concerned by the greater frequency of complaints regarding the transmission performance posted here. It appears that the problems are occuring after a couple of months of ownership, not a ten minute ride with a salesperson..
  • currycurry Member Posts: 22
    Curious if anyone has thoughts about the "Miles to Go" display. I am averaging about 28 mpg, so it seems logical that when I fill up the "Miles to Go" should be approximately 504 miles (18 gallon fuel tank X 28mpg). However, the display typically shows about 390 after I fill it up.

Ideas?

Ed
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It is important to note that the Avalon is not involved.
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    So what happens, as in my case, when there are two drivers who drive differently? A schizophrenic transmission? Transaxle therapy session at the Toyota dealership?

New point: The little silver panel that closes over the radio and CD player takes me from a half dozen to a dozen attempts to get the damned thing to actually close. I've tried umpteen techniques, too. Nothing's consistent. Anyone with this problem get it solved at the dealership?
  • ryandseryandse Member Posts: 51
    I need to apply very light, even pressure to the gas pedal to keep up with (or ahead of) the traffic.

Given I do not own an Avalon at this point, and haven't had a chance to perform a comprehensive test-drive: I don't have first hand experience this "hesitation" (aka "adaptation") of the Avalon's transmission. That being said: after keeping up with this, rather heated, debate: I am beginning to get the impression that the big-picture is being lost/confused (hence the *heated* nature of the discussion).

As havalongavalon has pointed out, it looks like the very heart of the issue lies with how often driver's rely on momentum (coasting) to keep the car moving at the flow of traffic. Skilled driver's usually have a sharply tuned intuition when it comes to deciding when to coast and pump the accelerator. For this reason it is easy to take for granted the huge amount of variables that come into play, when it comes time to decide what to do with the accelerator.

It is for this reason that it is easy to forget that a car's transmission cannot see the road. And it has no idea at what rate the driver wishes the car to slow down after the accelerator is released or how fast the car should accelerate when the pedal is depressed. Between durations of applications on the pedal, there is a discontinuity that, it appears, the transmission uses to regulate itself.

Now, there are two ways for us react to this. Firstly, we could make some noise in hopes that the folks at Toyota will change this behavior in the transmission. The second is that we could adjust our driving habits so that we only release the gas when it is about time to apply the breaks.

What ever choice is actually "better", is debatable: but my suspicion is that if Toyota actually "fix" this, the mileage could take a hit. In fact, perhaps this "smart" transmission is the real reason why the Avalon has such incredible gas mileage. Furthermore, I would like to make the bold suspicion that if you just every-so-slightly apply the accelerator: the Avalon will maintain a constant speed (possibly using it's "intelligence" to automatically decide to coast)? If I am correct here, then that would make explicit coasting and pumping unnecessary.

But once again, even If I am correct, this is still open for debate. One of the potential disadvantages of this is that one is forced to keep their foot on the gas (as opposed to explicitly coasting, and keeping the foot over the brake -- just in case it is suddenly required).

So instead of arguing whether or not the Avalon 2005's transmission is (or some of its drivers) are broken, I think it would be me more useful to focus more on the characteristics of the transmission, how to use it properly, specific pros/cons of how it works, and how it should be improved. Because if we can't collectively think of how it could be improved, how could we be so sure that Toyota could or that it is even possible to do so without putting the gas mileage on par with one of the Infinitis.

Ultimately, I would like to believe that the Avalon 2005's transmission functions this way by design. If that is the case, then I would be willing to leverage this and reap the benefits of its gas mileage.
  • tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Now I'm curious. Why are my posts with the above numbers concerning my experience with an '05 Avalon gone?

Steve
  • loudspeaker76loudspeaker76 Member Posts: 35
    Hey everyone!

This goes out to those who own (or work with everyday like Mackabee) an 05 Avalon... Regarding this learning transmission issue, is there a way to "reset" the computer system? I'm simply interjecting due to the fact my current vehicle has such a system in it, but the dealer/manufacturer gave me a button sequence that resets the computers data on the driver, making the car act "normal" again.

-LoUdSpEaKeR
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    ryandse,

Very good analysis. It shows that a prospective owner's bird's-eye-view can be very sharp and useful.

One clarification: "coasting" or perhaps better said, "cruising" in D with the foot off the gas is not the same as true, "inertial coasting" that is achieved by shifting to N while moving (this strategy I tested and reported on earlier, but abandoned for safety reasons). While in D, with the foot off the gas, a small amount of fuel has to be delivered to the engine to keep it from stalling, and this small amount contributes to maintaining a cruising speed, without having to press the gas pedal. This resembles what happens in typical automatic cars after a full stop -- when you take your foot off the brake, if you don't give gas, the car will still creep forward.

So, I don't think that driving on level stretches with the foot off the gas pedal poses any learning challenges to the Avalon. It probably is one of the typical driving strategies that the processor is programmed to monitor.

Here I am reminded of an earlier post by rewop, #5377, who had said:

"When I coast at low speed, for example, I notice a red traffic light ahead and take my foot off the gas, the car then continues forward as if in gear and after a period of time it feels as if the transmission shifts to neutral, the rpms drop to below 1,000. Then the traffic light changes when my speed is about 5 - 10 mph and I slowly depress the accelerator. The engine rpms increase about 300 - 500 rpms but there is no acceleration. Then the transmission gets the message and we start to accelerate.

This is the only situation I have noticed the transmission and engine being out of synch. Perhaps if I depressed the accelerator faster when the light changes it might help.
    "

rewop, did you try to accelerate a bit more and did this cure your car's hesitation problem?

I have noticed this type of delay too, a few times. If I step on the gas tentatively the RPMs go up but the car keeps going the same, then after a short while the car accelerates, as if letting the clutch slip for a short while, with a manual transmission. The result is a more tempered acceleration. If I step on the gas more briskly the car surges forward right away, without any hesitation. I wonder if this "slipping clutch effect" is also intended; another Avalon transmission design feature?

havalongavalon
  • bkinblkbkinblk Member Posts: 198
    It will act normal for about 2 days or until the transmission re-learns your driving habits. You can also disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 10 minutes to achieve the same result. Trust me, eventually, you will be back to square one.Check out the Engine Hesitation forum on this site. You will be able to keep updated with any information regarding this issue. The hesitation problem has been around since the 2002 ES-300. BTW, does it irk anyone else when it is suggested that you must learn to drive a new way in order for this car to operate properly? The best transmission is one that you don't have to think about!
    Ed,

Sounds like typically conservative Toyota encourages you to refill when your tank is 80% empty, not 100% empty?

havalong
    The condition called "radial-crawl" sounds plausible, but if this is the cause in Avalons, why would all cars reported to drift thus far, drift to the right? Wouldn't radial crawl cause drifts with 50% chance of either direction?
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    "It will act normal for about 2 days or until the transmission re-learns your driving habits."

If this is the case, then Toyota should just provide software update that disables the learning feature (or at least give a customer such an option.) Or someone should come up with a hack.
    Steve,

I read your posts late last night, with interest and concern, but had no time to follow up then. I must say that I expected them to be removed because you named specific dealers and employees, and this seemed to break house rules. Have you checked your email for a recent message from the forum moderator?

I would encourage you to re-post the last half of your long post #5709 and also #5710, the information on the symptoms and defects, because it would be useful to share the essence of your saga with the forum.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
  • bkinblkbkinblk Member Posts: 198
    I could not agree more, but it's not so simple. Toyota acknowledges that there is a problem, but EPA, CARB and other agencies must be addressed. It is a giant can of worms.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 44
    Now, there are two ways for us react to this. Firstly, we could make some noise in hopes that the folks at Toyota will change this behavior in the transmission. The second is that we could adjust our driving habits so that we only release the gas when it is about time to apply the breaks.

Havalong,
    Your point is well taken. However, as I read some of the posts regarding hesitation, it seems there is a degree of inconsistence that is hard to deal with. I have a good example of this as follows-- I own a GEM low speed vehicle. When we bought it the controller was set up with the max. speed adjusted to 22.5 mph and the regenerative function kicked in at about 18mph. It didn't take but a few miles of driving until I got the feel of the regenerative slowing of the vehicle and stopping distance. It was the same day in day out whether I or my wife drove the vehicle. Recently we had the speed adjusted to 25mph max (this is the max legal allowed). As a result the regenerative function now doesn't kick in until 13 mph. So we had to adapt to this change. But not difficult since it is the same day in say out whether I drive or my wife drives. I think the key requirement for the adaptive transmission function is that it optimize performance based on near term parameters and not what has happened minutes or even seconds ago. In the words of that gteat philosopher Idontknow, "If you don't know where you're going, any road'll get you there". :);)
    Hi ronharv,

No two drivers may be more different than my wife and I. So far, our Avalon has kept up fine with both of us without any need for autopsychotherapy.

I find that the best way to close the panel over the radio is to press using one fingertip, directly under the middle of the release button. If this doesn't work for you, then it may need to be serviced. As I recall, other posters have had dash panel doors successfully repaired.

Good luck,

havalongavalon
  • bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    barclay3

I know you have had your Cassis Pearl LTD for about a week now. Are you experiencing hesitation? Any problems at all? Mine's not due in for another two weeks now.

Bakeroid
  • ron6ron6 Member Posts: 27
    I've noticed the exact same thing....the "miles to go" indicator shows about 390-396 miles when I refill. I'm taking a 500 mile trip this weekend so I will check to see if it gradually resets itself to the correct reading during the trip.
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    Havalongavalon writes: rewop, did you try to accelerate a bit more and did this cure your car's hesitation problem?

No, I continue to drive as I always have. The problem is infrequent and seems to be less than before. Perhaps the transmission is learning or I'm getting smarter. I was recently driving our 1996 Camry V-6 (bought new) and for the first time noticed a similar lag. I think the Avalon has sensitized me to the lag. It never bothered me in the Camry and is less of a problem in the Avalon than before. Also, my Avalon only has about 500 miles on it and I'm still trying to baby it.

Next time I'm in that lag situation I'll accelerate a little faster and see if that makes any difference. Will report back on the results.

Rewop
    Re-edited to be in compliance with forum rules.

I just purchased an XLS in mid-April, and paid well-above invoice. While I feel somewhat better about my Avalon now, this is a post to let people know that life with a new Avalon is not always a bed-of-roses. This post is very long, and could be considered boring. You've been cautioned.

In the first two-weeks of ownership, my Avalon XLS developed 6 sample defects, one of which was serious, and BTW, was present in the car from Day One. During this time, I was in contact with my salesman at Toyota of Fort Worth. There existed throughout this first two-weeks of ownership a scheduling conflict between us. I couldn't get the car into service "unless I'm here" the salesman told me, "so I can get you a loaner". The full two weeks passed, and we were finally able to get something scheduled for the 3rd week on a Friday.

When I got to the dealership that Friday, I was subsequently told by a 30-year veteran of the dealership "Oh man, I can't get to you today, my trim guys are full-up". I was not a happy-camper - I'd just made the 28-mile trip to the dealership from my house for nothing. I learned later that at this point, that this guy had no business turning me away, but another snafu was made too. It turns out I was supposed to see another Service Advisor - the one that my salesman had made the arrangements with. Rather than try to get me taken care by another advisor (they're on commission), the 1st Service Advisor just sent me away. I was not aware of this until much later, and my salesman didn't realize when we discussed it that I'd been turned away, so my anger was somewhat in check.

The third week of ownership of my brand-new Toyota Avalon XLS started rather eventfully. That Sunday, the 8th of May, on the way to work 4:30AM, I started noticing a rather nasty smell coming from the air-conditioner. Kinda smelled like steamed-rice. While I LOVE steamed-rice, I don't want that smell coming from the air-conditioner in my car. At this point, add #7 sample-defect, this one as it turned out was quite serious.

The following week, the 4th week I've had possession of this Avalon, I finally got it in for service Thursday, May 12th. At this point, the dealership's Sales Manager, had no qualms at all about letting me borrow another "new" Avalon XLS, a gold one with 56 miles on it, even though I'd be in it for 2 days, heh-heh, or so we thought..

Thursday afternoon, I received a call from my service advisor, and he told me that the "trim-guys", Westside Trim of Fort Worth, had had the vehicle virtually all day, trying to nail down the whistling noise. They'd previously handled the other trim issues in a fairly straightforward manner, with no lingering issues except this one. They brought my Avalon back to the dealership Thursday evening only to pick it up again Friday morning to tackle the whistling again. On Friday, they picked up the vehicle again and had it back to the dealership by around noon, with the whistling issue resolved.

By chance during their work on the trim issues, they noticed what could be the cause of the smell - the drain hose for the air-conditioner evaporator had popped out of place (to another spot which happened to be INSIDE of the vehicle).

To understand this, just imagine a rubber hose coming out of the evaporator parallel to the ground, and then bent 90 degrees downward, backward, and downward again. Well, unless it's secured at the end, OUTSIDE the car, it's going to have a tendency to try to get back to being a straight rubber hose. This is what happened, and consequently, the cars interior, apparently throughout its short life, was subject to being drenched with condensation water from the air-conditioner evaporator.

Needless to say, when I heard this, I was absolutely livid. At this point, I didn't want to discuss this car anymore, I wanted to discuss its replacement. My Avalon is a brand new vehicle - I should not have to put up with this. I dutifully filed my complaint with Toyota, who of course, dumped it right back into the hapless dealer's lap (this is standard operating procedure).

I was very upset - I'd owned 6 other Toyotas, 3 of which were Avalons, and 5 of which were purchased at Toyota of Fort Worth, including when it used to be Garry McKinney Toyota. The 6th was a Lexus RX300. I'd NEVER seen a Toyota with this many defects at once, 2 of which were very serious defects at that.

Toyota of Fort Worth kept assuring me that they'd do whatever it took to take care of my and the problems I was experiencing with my Avalon, and I kept telling them to get ready to give me another Avalon, just like mine.

Monday evening the 16th, I'd even called my salesman and cautioned him that the Toyota Avalon XLS that I'd been given as a loaner was "PERFECT", no defects at all, and that they had a tough road ahead to convince me that the repairs on my Avalon would be as good. When the Service Manager called me the same day to discuss issues with the car, I essentially told him the very same thing - that I'd fully expect to end up demanding a replacement vehicle.

This afternoon, Tuesday, May 17th, Pat called me and said my Avalon was ready. With some trepidation, I headed to the dealership and got there in about an hour from work.

My test drive with the car was with my salesman only, relying on the "no-BS" relationship that we had to uncover any shortcomings in the repaired vehicle. I was very surprised to realize that the repairs were for the most part, perfect, except as discussed in the list of defects below.

Here's a list of the defects.

1) Wind noise - a whistling noise when going down the street that can be changed by moving the air-conditioner to recirculate or not.

This was an air-leak around a poorly-sealed windshield - an assembly defect.. I was concerned at first, but got over it.

2) Center console door over the radio gets stuck in the down position

Easily repaired and resolved

3) On strong bumps, left driver's door window emits creaking sounds

A loose door. Toyota engineers should take notice of this and institute changes on the production line

4) On slow start-ups from a reverse, with the wheels turned sharp, like backing out from a parking spot, I'm hearing what appears to be CV joint clicking from the right front

Brake pads shifting, going back and forth, and the brakepad-wear warning thingys singing

5) The lower center console squeaks badly, and needs to be looked at.

This is just a poor design - the lower console is held in place by only 4 sheetmetal brackets or similar, and this allows the console to flex quite a bit. When I turn a corner, my body shifts and I lean into it causing the creaking - again, bad design, and the only remaining open complaint.

6) The Front Passenger's door makes noises over sharp bumps, almost sounding like rubber on rubber (similar to #3)

See
    7) Starting just Sunday of this week, the Air on Recirculate stinks, almost like steamed rice

Wow, this was the biggie. My brand-new car basically flooded because a drainhose was not secured at its final destination, outside the car. Later the Service Manager, a real pro, told me that the water had soaked the underlying foam mat, and the "jute" underneath that protects cabling clear back to the passenger compartment. Toyota of Fort Worth ended up replacing the entire sheet of foam, and the entire sheet of insulating jute under the carpet. The carpet itself wasn't damaged, and just required drying.

The smell is gone, most of the trim issues resolved, except for the center-console, and I'll patiently wait for Toyota to come up with a fix for that, but not for long. My final word up to this point to the service manager was "Ya did good".

Steve Mitchell
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    and thank you havalongavalon for the assist. ;)
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    Bakeroid...This is only my 4th car but with my previous 3 (74 Valiant, 85 Cressida, 95 Avalon) I have experienced some kind of problem that the dealer needed to take care of. I had many defects with the 74 Valiant, a lot fewer with the 85 Cressida and if memory serves me well 7 defects with the 95 Avalon. I have found absolutely nothing wrong yet with my 05 Avalon. Cars have gotten so much better in recent years.

I am really concentrating on finding the hesitation problem but I haven't found it yet. I am concentrating on it so much that it is taking away from my enjoyment of driving this car because I am waiting for it to happen! I never take my foot off the gas pedal to coast and then press the gas pedal to speed up again. To slow down I decrease the pressure on the gas pedal then either take my foot off it and hit the brakes to slow down more or I speed up again by pushing down on the gas. I don't have a heavy foot or pump the gas or brakes. I don't jump back and forth between the brakes and gas. I try to drive smoothly. I have no idea if this is why it is not hesitating because I do not know that much about how cars work! This is just my driving style.

I had it out on the PA Turnpike and boy does it cruise nicely!

I haven't found anything wrong yet and I am looking. The lids over the radio and the tape player close fine (I just use a firm push at the bottom). The CD player sounds great (Asleep at the Wheel Live). The radio is easy to use (a knob to turn for volume and one to tune in stations works for me). I thoroughly enjoy the sunroof. There is no wind noise. The seats are large, very comfortable and soft. The ventilation of the seats make them even more comfortable. The keyless entry and push button start are so convenient that I don't know how I could go back to using a key. I can even open the trunk by just pushing a button on the trunk. Cassis Pearl is a beautiful color and the ivory interior matches up very well. This is the fastest, smoothest and quietest car I have ever own. If I could afford an Audi A8 12 cylinder then that would be the best but the Avalon is the best for me because it is in my price range.

My only negatives are: 1) limited visibility when backing up 2) wish there was an off button for the radio on the steering wheel.

I still think this is a great car and I highly recommend it. I keep checking to see if any of the defects posted here are in my car but so far I have found none. I will keep looking and I hope others keep posting defects so I know what to look for.

I'm getting the painted pinstripes on Friday. Will let you know.

Int...did you get the gold package yet??
  • avalonkittenavalonkitten Member Posts: 20
    On my trip home last month I was clueless. I had the car for maybe 24 hours before I left DC. I did the whole trip in "D" and set the cruise control so that seemed to hold my speed going downhill. The only thing I know for certain about mountains is not to ride the brake. I got into a bit of a pinch on my way back to DC because traffic was heavier and erratic (people jumping in and out of lanes). So I did not have the cruise control on and was still in "D" and picked up a good deal of speed going downhill. I tried to brake intermittently but it felt like the car was going to spin out on me. At the time I had not used the standard shift side because I understood from the dealer that it was not necessary to use it. The car should run just fine in "D" all the time.

On this trip I am much more familiar with the standard shift side and will use it if I get into that situation again. Yes, I am worried about the difficulties the car has changing between the two modes with my driving style. The good news it that I am leaving earlier and driving back on later so hopefully most people will be back to work and I will have the road to myself. I think I drove back on a Sunday last time. I ran into all the weekend people who leave DC on the weekends and come back Sunday night.

I am curious and this is open to anyone.. Has anyone done arbitration with Toyota over car problems? How did it turn out?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I presently own a 2000 300M. I like quite a few things about the avalon and that may well be my next car (2006 model) next spring. It is a similar size compared to my 300M and has even more toys. I like the idea of much better gas mileage and a more powerful engine with a 5 speed tranny. My M also has an adaptive tranny and I have had similar symptoms that some of you have mentioned but I have learned to just live with it. When slowing almost to a stop and then giving it gas again, you may occasionally get a hard shift. Chrysler did a programming update on the tranny, but it didint totally cure the small problem. But I have almost 85k on my car now and the tranny overall is holding up well. We have some members of the car club I belong to that have in excess of 200,000 miles on the original tranny and engine. Concerning the Avalon, may just be a programming issue that Toyota will eventually correct or it just might be a small drawback of a learning type adaptive tranny.

If I do end up buying the Avalon, I have thought of a neat mod. I hope to be able to remove that cover over the radio and drill a 1 or 2 inch hole in it. You could then install one of those small quartz clocks they sell complete with a bezel and lens that fits flush in a small hole. I think it would dress up the interior a bit and would be a useful addition. How hard is it to remove that cover? Anyone have a service manual for the Avalon?

I think it is one of the best values out there for a luxury car. I most likely would order the Avalon Limited with Nav and Stabiltrak. For color, I most likely would go with white, silver, or that light green color. I like black, but I don't clean my cars often enough to keep a black car looking good. I may consider getting the factory wheels chromed or possibly upgrade to aftermarket wheels. How are the Michelin MX4s in the snow?
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    There is a poster on the Lexus ES330 forum (lepflorida, "Lexus ES 300/ES 330" #4919, 17 May 2005 5:51 pm) who reports he was going through an arbitration or lemon process and got Toyota to buy back his car or buy him out his lease before they actually went through arbitration. This has been discussed some on the Engine Hesitation forum (KarenS, "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)" #, 6 Jan 2005 12:11 pm), too.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    on my 300M, I always use the maual shift when going down a steep hill or entering an off ramp on the highway. That way you can slow the car down without riding the brakes. I use the manual gate on my 300M with no ill affects on the adaptive tranny. I wouldn't think it should affect the tranny operation of the Av if it is designed properly.

I will be monitoring this board to see how your Avs are holding up over time. Hopefully Toyota will address any issues you guys are having. Most manufacturers will bend over backwards when they come out with a new model to keep their reputation and to get the word out that the car is reliable and that the manufacturer stands behind it.

Good luck to all you new Av owners.
    Hi Mackabee - Nah, you're not a wise guy. The whistle was present the NIGHT I drove it home. I didn't think much about it at the time, except that I'd need to get it fixed. The other defects showed up over the first 2 or 3 weeks of ownership. Believe me, if I'd known what the "whistle" was at the time, I'd have been back in a heartbeat. BTW, the original cause I have listed for this whistle is wrong. I received another call from the Service Manager today to check up on me and to fill me in as to the source of the problems. It turned out that the whistle was coming FROM the hole that the missing hose was supposed to go through to the outside world below the car, to be harmlessly pouring condensation water through it. Remember that the drain hose had popped up back into the interior of the car.

Steve
    Hi Folks - One last point. I want it clearly understood that I never intended to skewer the dealership Toyota of Fort Worth by mentioning their personnel by full name. Quite the contrary - I was PROUD of them for taking a monosyllabic-Neanderthal like myself, who in the throes of anger, frustration, and dread could chant nothing but "replace my car, replace my car, replace my car" ad nauseum into someone who realizes, as if seeing the light for the first time, "Wow!, you fixed it."

However, I did intentionally intend to skewer Toyota, who as a standard procedure, dumped my case back into the dealer's lap to handle Toyota's manufacturing defects. I know it's supposed to work that way, but it doesn't mean it's right.

I also know for a fact that several Toyota Engineers monitor this forum, and on occasion, get this feedback back to the powers-that-be at Toyota.

Hey Guys, fix the center console, OK? No squeak is GOOD. Also, ad a retaining clip to the evaporator drain-hose so no one else will have to go through what I went through.

Steve
    Steve,

thanks for re-posting the defects you encountered. My comments follow your listed defects:

"1) Wind noise - a whistling noise when going down the street that can be changed by moving the air-conditioner to recirculate or not."

When I read this, it seemed it had to be related to the hole where the drain hose belonged, as you then clarified in a later post. So, you know that the drain hose was missing from day 1.

"3) On strong bumps, left driver's door window emits creaking sounds

A loose door. Toyota engineers should take notice of this and institute changes on the production line"

Reading this worries me. The shiny black frames around the Avalon door windows look very similar to the window frames in my 2003 Honda Pilot. I have heard creaky noises in the Pilot, and found out only recently that Pilot window frames are notorious for making creaky noises (see post #118 in the "Honda Pilot Problems and Solutions" forum). Not sure yet if there is a real cure for the Pilot noises (still have to read later posts there).

"5) The lower center console squeaks badly, and needs to be looked at.

This is just a poor design - the lower console is held in place by only 4 sheetmetal brackets or similar, and this allows the console to flex quite a bit. When I turn a corner, my body shifts and I lean into it causing the creaking - again, bad design, and the only remaining open complaint."

I tested this today. I could make the console creak quite a bit by holding onto its pwood edges and pushing on it. Same with trim on the dash; if you poke at it, it can make noises. It's surprising that a lot more noises are not heard in normal travel...

"6) The Front Passenger's door makes noises over sharp bumps, almost sounding like rubber on rubber (similar to #3)"

Sounds ominous. What about the rear doors...?

havalongavalon
    "and thank you havalongavalon for the assist.;) "

You are most welcome, Pat. I figured you were on a rare coffee break, maybe. ;)

havalongavalon
    barclay3,

Glad to read about your positive experience!

Both your negatives are curable: 1) install bumper sensors for backing up, and 2) can turn off the radio from the steering wheel by pressing the "MODE" button for over 1 second (I learned this from an earlier post on this forum).

havalongavalon
  • partsguypartsguy Member Posts: 2
    Barclay3, you can turn off the radio from the wheel. Press and hold the mode button for 3 seconds, powers off Audio all together.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    No, I was supposed to get the gold pkg today, but two of my sons and daughter-in-law discouraged me - they said the chrome looked better, so I put it off until I can see one with it. I just know I would like it. Someday I will learn not to listen to them. Also, there was a post on here once upon a time that told how to turn off the radio with the steering controls. You had to press the mode button(I think) for 4 seconds. I tried it and it worked. Experiment, but I think it was the mode button. I don't ever turn mine off, so it has been so long I have forgotten. Do you like the color? I have noticed that in cloudy weather it looks deep burgundy but in bright sunlight it looks almost red. So we have a "dual" colored car. Ha, Ha. I just try to turn my head when I see a black one because that is still my favorite!
    Hey just me, where are you? Come back, you are needed. This is your job... Can't expect me to do everything around here!

This reviewer really liked the XLS, has original views on some features of engine and transmission, shows nice photos of an Indigo. There is also a link to a Movie Clip that shows details close up.

link title

Some excerpts:

"The entire cabin of the Avalon could literally be lifted and dropped into any Lexus. The dash is lovely, classy even. It is ergonomically designed and assembled with care. The resistance of each button is exactly calibrated to feel expensive and are within easy reach of the driver or passenger. I will say that I am not too crazy about the "bright white" lighting of the HVAC controls. At night, they become a blur of white light.

On the road The new 3.5L engine is very strong and pulls very hard, yet always remains civilised. The motor feels like it has a switch; it can be docile and refined one moment and the next, be nervous and explosive. A Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde kind of deal.

The new Avalon could be considered the latest Q-Ship on our roads: it is unassuming, unpretentious, unadorned and just plain fast. Most people would never imagine that a Toyota Avalon, if they even know what it is, could move so quickly. It certainly is not the fastest car on the road but a 0-100 km/h of 6.5 seconds is as quick as the new 2006 BMW 330i with the new 255 hp 3.0L engine and a 6-speed manual transmission.

The automatic transmission shifts smoothly, almost invisibly. It seems as though it is tight like a drum; it never missed a beat even when driven as if it was a Celica GTS. The manual-mode shift is quick on the draw and adds another small dose of sportiness to the big car. This transmission and engine combination would, in the right circumstances, downshift from second into first gear and permit the wheels to spin for a second. Some would-be sport sedans are simply unable to do this.

The brakes work quite well but the pedal is very soft and needs to be pushed really hard when stopping briskly. It is unfortunate that the pedal must be pushed so far towards the firewall to give the impression that the car will come to a full stop.

This car is actually one of the surprises of the year for me.

Good stuff:
    Great engine
    Splendid cabin

Not so good stuff:
    Rear visibility
    Spongy brake pedal"

Sounds like Toyota Canada gave this reviewer a well-broken-in XLS for testing...! On the other hand, have we had any serious negative findings raised by Canadian Avalon owners, yet? ;)

havalongavalon
  • bettersafebettersafe Member Posts: 92
    How do you know that Toyota monitors this forum? I would like to believe that they do. . . .

In general, I am not convinced that "constructive" feedback given to a dealer, or to a service writer, necessarily gets passed up to the corporate engineers who need to hear the feedback.

Anything that owners can do to inform Toyota of drivability and safety concerns in a semi-official manner might be helpful.
    Do we know for sure that the Canadian Avalon is running the same engine/transmission software as the American Avalon ??? In concept there could be two sets of algorithms, one specifically set to American EPA / CARB rules, and one for Canada.
    You now, bettersafe, that's a very good point. How can we find out?
    Hi tmeframe,

My guess is that, with admirable nobility, you have taken it upon yourself to endure numerous Avalon failings that were officially scheduled to be parceled out to countless other owners. Your generous altruism has improved the lives of many who have not suffered the effects of Toyota gremlins because you had the strength of character to relieve others of insufferable burdens. Please accept our humble thanks and our fervent wishes that your Days of Lemon have passed.
    If a TSB was applicable to Canadian cars and not American cars ( or vice versa ), then we might infer that the software running in the cars was different. { There is some weakness in this inference, however, in that a TSB might be able to be applied to Canadian vehicles before the TSB was approved by American EPA / CARB authorities. }
  • mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    ronharv
    Had the problem of silver panel not closing and then getting stuck when it finally made contact. Dealership had to gently pull it down by hand and kind of "stretch"it down in order for it to make good contact with latch. Been working fine since then except for not opening once, which was fixed with a credit card inserted .! Will take it back for fine tuning soon! There is no way to turn sound system off unless manually on the radio panel. Thought I should be able to turn it off on the steering wheel since I can turn it on there!! My husband thinks I should turn EVERYTHING off before I cut the engine in order to avoid strain on battery when turning car back on. I thought there was a delay on all those extra things that took care of that old problem. Think I,m right but why argue, just do what I want and say I forgot!!
    mmg1

Just read further messages and was so pleased to find out I can turn the radio off at the steering wheel!!! Wheeeeee!! Learn something new every minute on this forum!
    mmg1
    All,
    I see where someone posted a new review about the Avalon's transmission quirks on EPINIONS.COM, and gave the car only 2 stars out of 5. Perhaps those with specific problems could add their own review to EPINIONS.

I think Toyota will respond if the word gets around enough. I have been shocked at all that I have learned in the last few weeks from this forum and the Lexus forums. I had no idea that the ES300 and ES330 could be so squirelly. I assumed that every Lexus owner was in bliss. Apparently not.

BetterSafe (than sorry)
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    read your manual about the radio. when you hold down the bottom button on the steering wheel for the radio for 2 seconds, the radio will go off.
  • rrogers2rrogers2 Member Posts: 11
    I also noticed that my MPG seemed to be off with the first fillup. It was showing about 19.8 MPG (good for around town driving) when I filled up tank (waited til the warning light) it started off with over 22 MPG. I would have expected it to start somewhere near 19.8. Any one had similar experience?

Also, my fog light was loose and dealer has ordered "part" to fix it after trying unsuccessfully to repair.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Also, I recommend filing a complaint with the NHTSA ( http://www.nhtsa.gov ). Several months ago it was announced in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article that NHTSA was considering opening an investigation into this problem -- they really need to hear from those of you with the hesitation so they can determine if it is worth conducting a safety investigation.
  • hank3hank3 Member Posts: 26
    Hello

I have been following these boards for a few months now and I am happy to say that I just recently received my limited Avalon. I was on a wait list and it took app. 3 1/2 weeks for the car to come in. I have had the car for about a week and so far I am very impressed.

I haven’t experienced any of the hesitation problems that others have experienced. No whistling, the car is very quiet and all of the latches in the interior shut and open just fine :D Its kind of sad to see that this forum has turned into a gripe forum about the hesitation issue. The point of my post is to let other people know that all is not bad. I think you can find faults in any car if you look hard enough. My opinion is that this car is nearly perfect. I appreciate everyone's candid posts in this forum but I felt I needed to post to let other potential buyers know that some of these issues appear to be isolated and not everyone experiences these same issues. I think in these types of forums, people see a problem and it’s like a feeding frenzy. I am willing to bet there are a lot of satisfied customers such as me who haven’t even been to this forum to share their experiences. Toyota has a great reputation and I have owned two other Toyota products before the Avalon.

Keep up with the great posts. I have learned a lot from everyone in this forum.
    With about 600 miles now on my XL, I'm tickled with just about all aspects of the car. But a tad annoying is the transmission shifting betwen second and third gears (with about a second's lag or so between shifts) even when I'm when I'm driving up a mild incline too small to be considered a hill. It doesn't happen all the time, of course, but I can't say that I'm pleased that it happens at all. Even my wife, who could hit a moose and not notice, has commented. As for the far larger problem of hesitation, I've so far not experienced that.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Hi Havalongavalon.. You don't need me anymore, your doing just fine, in fact great. Your right there with Macabee. I took a vacation from here as far as posting because things seemed so repetitive and silly things, like asking questions that have been answered so many times but people don't want to scroll back, so I got tired of posting. Anyway my friend I still check in and read the posts to see if there is anything new. For those that are new to this board, I think it's time to give them this link again if they haven't seen it posted back when. It answers so many questions. http://www.mynewavalon.com/avalon_home.html# As far as the hesitation problem, I haven't any Havalongavalon. I even did Future1's test regarding the stepping on the gas pedal when going between 5 to 10 miles and hour and in both cases I had no hesitation, and the car took off on the other when I released and applied foot pressure real hard I flew, not a seconds hesitation. That has been from day one for me, and there are two drivers in my family. So either my Avalon is a quick learner or I know how to drive a car. I'm sure like with any car some people are having a problem, nothing is perfect. In some cases I think it's just overdone, and in others it's reported by a car enthusiast who is really into his car and he looks for perfection. Incidentally I do as well and it's why I took my time until I realized by lowering my head I saw that the simulated wood on the dash perfectly lined up with it's mate on the door panel. My car is as quiet as a church mouse. The little silver doors so far work perfectly and I realize now they aren't as brittle as I first thought when first sitting in the car. Like everything else I handle them well, I don't abuse them. There aren't any squeaks or rattles so far and I have a little over 3,000 miles on my car now and am proud to say, so far no dings, or chips on my hood or bumper, YIPPEE! I have learned while driving with this car to stay back of the guy in front of me at a reasonable distance so if a rock does fly it will loose it's energy before colliding with my car. As you know from the picture I posted some time back, the bumper guard protectors I put on my bumpers have mentally alerted me while backing up or moving forward while parking to stop before engaging or contacting another car or tree etc., so no scratches there as well. If I were asked at this point on a scale of 1 to 10 if I'm happy with my car and if there were anything I would add, my answer would be a 10. For those that want blue tooth fine, I'm one of those Neanderthals who doesn't use a cell phone because I know me. Once I have it I would run up a large bill even if I had 5,000 free minutes 24/7. I don't need a gauge showing me my tire pressure, I take my car in for an oil change every 3,000 miles to my dealer and I have never had a problem with my tires. They last all the years they are supposed to and than some. I guess having them rotated and balanced when needed makes the difference. If I wanted or could suggest anything even though I'm very comfortable, I would love the drivers seat to be increased an inch to take care of my long thighs, but then again if I had gotten the Limited instead of the XLS I would have had that anyway. I have to believe there are many satisfied customers as myself. I do believe the proof of that is that I haven't seen one commercial on TV of our Avalon (in my area) after the initial ones back in Feb and March. It seems like this Avalon is selling itself by word of mouth etc. I know in my neighborhood so many people have stopped me and asked what dealer I used and now I see the 05 in my back of the woods. I suppose Toyota is on the sales target they projected for this car and probably exceeded it and therefore don't have to spend money advertising it as Ford does for the 500 etc. I wish they would advertise it because for selfish reason I would love seeing it on TV, but I guess that isn't going to happen. Okay, I said all that needs being said and overdid it. I just wish my friend RONN would pop in again just to know he is okay. Take care. Best wishes to everyone.
  • boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    I agree hank3 it is sad that so many of the posts are gripes about transmission etc. I have a black limited with now aprox 4,000 miles on it and have had no problems except the tail pipes not being the same level where they hang under the bumper. For the longest time when people were talking about hesitation I thought they were talking about the engine, not the transmission. The only complaint with the transmission for me is that it doesn't always seem to coast freely with foot off the gas and feels like it's in a lower gear instead of overdrive when coasting. I have noticed the transmission behaves differently when the engine is cold verses after it's warmed up. Comments about radio on/off on the wheel etc. show not enough people are reading their manuals. HINT: if you hold in on the ^ or down arrows on the wheel for a couple seconds it will change to a different cd. I still think the new Avalon is a fabulous automobile!