Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• avalonturing05avalonturing05 Member Posts: 32
    Its a dual chain ---and thats right its what makes more noise then normal rubber
    belt types. :)

VOOOOMMMMMM /280 HP---- MY STEERING WHEEL IS ACROSS THE STREET---CAN YOU FIX IT :P
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    ski,

Would you know whether the suspect weld they checked was located behind the engine, or inside the cabin above the brake pedal? I'm still trying to determine which end of the steering shaft may have the defect.

Thanks,

havalongavalon
    Hi Mackabee,

perhaps you could find out which end of the steering shaft may have the defective weld, since there are yokes at both ends? Toyota Customer Service told me they could not give any more details, that only Dealers can call in for more clarification. :confuse:

Thanks in advance,

havalongavalon
    Mike,

Yes, thank you. And I also have heard some soft knocking while idling since you described it.

Do you think 93 octane has made any difference in performance or mileage compared to, say, 89 octane?

havalongavalon
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    havalongavalon, I haven't noticed any performance improvement but gas mileage did go up almost 2 mpg. I'm now at 6k miles and at 10K I'm switching to Mobil1 5w-30 full synthetic. In my other vehicles this always raised the mpg too.

MikeS.
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    I have found that if I switch brands of gas, the smell goes away. Some brands have more sulfur in them and this can be where the smell comes from. In the midwest, Ks. Ne., Iowa, I use BP/Amoco gold (91oct.). Hope this helps :)

PS: Beano might work........ ;)
  • greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    My wife and I looked at and sat in a new Avalon at the local Toyota store recently. She's been driving a 2000 XLS for over five years now. Here's what she noticed right away:

* seats are uncomfortable, no bolsters to speak of in the driver's seat and the back seats look and feel like big flat bench

* dash lost it's all in one look and easy to reach design - now things are scattered around - the environmental controls are positioned to the left and right of the CD player instead of grouped below it. This makes it harder for shorter persons to reach it.

* all of the silvery plastic in the center console seemed light weight and likely to show signs of wear quickly. If you use the CD alot the cover is always open. So why does it have a cover?

* she didn't think that women would like the controls on the steering wheel - they are confusing. What is Mode? Why are the speaker control buttons on the steering wheel? All you really need there is mute and volumen up / down. Not very intuitive.

* She got out and said, let's spend our money on the keeping the Avvy we have in tip top shape for 5 more years or go visit the Lexus store.

I think she's right.
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the feedback, but this doesn't appear to be related to the brand of gas. As I said in my original post, this smell only occurs after a burst of heavy acceleration (i.e. flooring it). When I subsequently slow down or stop I can smell the odor for a little bit. I thought maybe this occurred because of the high horsepower and/or the fact that it is a ULEV vehicle. It's a very minor issue since I don't normally drive that way but I'm going to mention it to the dealer when I bring it in for an oil change. I'll provide an update on the results...the dealer may have to perform a lower GI to find out if something is wrong! :)
  • jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    Departed Surprise, AZ with full tank (premium) at 1218 miles

5.835 gallons in Kingman, AZ at 1375 miles (157 miles - 26.89 mpg for leg)

11.86 gallons in Tonapah, NV @ 1690 miles (315 miles - 27.16 mpg for leg)

10.44 gallons in Susanville, CA @ 2007 miles (317 miles - 30.36 mpg for leg)

13.55 gallons in Vancouver, WA @ 2462 mi (455 miles - 33.58 mpg for leg)

Total trip - 1244 miles & 41.425 gallons of premium - avergage of 30.03 mpg
    Average cost for premium = $2.58 per gallon

Two adults, car loaded (4400# on scales with full load of fuel).

No, didn't win in either Las Vegas or Reno.

We may consider regular fuel in the future, but are quite content with the performance using premium.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    GREENBELT:

Your wife is a very smart lady obviously. When you add up all the cosmic changes , the new one is just not all things to all people.. I found the same that you spoke about above and then some. The bench seat option is no longer, a major selling point for us Police Intercepter people. The truck is notably smaller, gas tank size approx. the same, towing capacity reduced in half with an engine that produces much more HP and more torque but notably not at all linear as reported by other posts. Is those improvements or just substututes for the laser cruise control that has a part that is easily broken by a road debris or Fog lights that are cheaply attached to their supports?

This is a first year model, and I did warn people about first year models. There is always something, no matter what company you give your 35K to. Doesn't matter.

I'd hold onto your older Avalon for awhile until Toyota addresses some issues. I think althogh not as big, the Nissan Maxima or the Acura RL, is you can make the jump are more attractive and better buys.

abfisch
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Since i have the Limited, the seats are air cooled. Therefore, additional padding could not be put in.
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    the entire cover was replaced. my dealer simply ordered the replacement cover from Toyota and the dealer took off the old (poorly creased) cover and put the new one on. did not have to take out the seat and seemed relatively simple. i was told the cost of the cover was $1000 (no charge to me) but Toyota should have never put the poorly creased cover on in the first place so i do not feel sorry for them. good luck.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    $1000 for a leather seat cover? Must have been one expensive cow! Didn't feed it grass or grain, probably caviar!

Probably cost Toyota all of $50 to buy. There is a big markup on captive OEM parts many times what they should really cost, but a big moneymaker for the manufacturer if you have to buy one out of your own pocket.
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    To be honest, I didn't ask that question. When he said " we found no problem with you steering", I guess I was happy to hear that. I will call the dealer soon and ask that question. I will follow up at a later date. Going on vacation for a week this Sunday.
  • haggishaggis Member Posts: 10
    * she didn't think that women would like the controls on the steering wheel - they are confusing. What is Mode? Why are the speaker control buttons on the steering wheel? All you really need there is mute and volumen up / down. Not very intuitive.

The controls are on the wheel because it's safer to have two hands on the wheel as much of your driving time as possible. She's going to have the same problems figuring out the same functions on the radio console, except she'd be using only one hand on the wheel. Better stick to that 2000 XLS.
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    How can rust dripping on your garage floor be normal on a new car? I have never owned a car in the past that starting dripping rust the minute I bought it...especially out of the tailpipe. Surely, someone else has a different take on this problem because I really don't like putting mats under my new car to keep the floor clean. Thanks
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    "I think althogh not as big, the Nissan Maxima or the Acura RL, is you can make the jump are more attractive and better buys. "

If anyone has the beans to step up to the Acura RL, I recommend also putting the Cadillac STS on your shopping list. I test drove one recently and I must say the ride and luxury package are awesome. But if you want the top of the line v-8, you are looking at 61k. You can get the v6 version pretty loaded for about 56k. But from what I can tell, the nav is only available on the v8 version.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    "How can rust dripping on your garage floor be normal on a new car?"

Does the AValon use stainless steel exaust system pipes and muffler? If not, the rust may well be coming from condensation mixed with rust from plain steel pipes.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    chains would be preferable to a belt for durability reasons, but and i'm sure this is NOT the case with the 3.5 in the avalon, that is not to say that the chains do not have to be replaced, just like the belts of the earlier designed vavle trains had to be replaced at approximately 60k miles. i'm sure the chains are designed for the life of the engine, but it's worth checking next time you're in the service department...replacing a cam belt is not inexspensive...replacing a chain would be lots of dough. jackg 90seville 97k
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    I pointed out the loose driver's fog light to the service writer and he said we'll see what the trouble is. About a 1/2 hour later he told me the tech said it couldn't be fixed and a new fog light had been ordered. Two days later it came in and the replaced light is as unmoving as the passenger side light. No arguements, good service writer, tech and dealer service.
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    What speed were you driving?
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Here's mine:

* seats are uncomfortable, no bolsters to speak of in the driver's seat and the back seats look and feel like big flat bench

I find the seats extremely comfortable. Just the right level of firmness vs. padding.

* dash lost it's all in one look and easy to reach design - now things are scattered around - the environmental controls are positioned to the left and right of the CD player instead of grouped below it. This makes it harder for shorter persons to reach it.

This is one of the most ergonomic dashes I have seen. With the steering wheel controls, I rarely have to touch the buttons on the dash but when I do the ones I need are within easy reach (I'm 5' 10"). Basically, when driving, I either adjust the temp up or down, the volume up or down and advance the CD with the steering wheel controls. I do sometimes instinctively adjust the volume on the stereo unit itself (old habits die hard).

* all of the silvery plastic in the center console seemed light weight and likely to show signs of wear quickly. If you use the CD alot the cover is always open. So why does it have a cover?

I agree somewhat with this statement. We'll have to see how to doors wears over time. I usually have the door to the CD player open since, even with a 6 disc changer, I switch CDs a lot.

My wife loves the steering wheel controls. The Mode button is used to switch between CD and radio and to turn the unit off. These controls really come in handy when driving in traffic because you can change things without really taking your eyes off the road. See my previous comments on these controls.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    Hey guys i really need help i am 20 years old and i dunno which color to chose for my new limited avalon eather blizzard white pearl or the black maybe blue one !

lol sorry for this qustion but i need some advice .

:P
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    The rusty , I assume water, shouldn't be comming from the exhaust as it is made of stainless steel. After driving several miles the exhaust gets hot enough to prevent condensation. The only drips comming from the car when parked in your garage should be condensation from the air conditioning unit.If this is the source you might have Toyota check it out. No mild steel metal should be in the drains. Mild steel, when not protected, corrodes in moist atomsphere conditions and results in the rust stains you are noticing. Should you start the car and idle for a few minutes , in your garage, you might get condensation that passes through the mild steel or cast iron headers, and if a tiny leak exists you might get some rusty drips.Angr1 P.E.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Hi havalongavalon!!
    Good to hear that your vehicle is ok. I emailed my dealer and of course they hadn't rec'd the TSB yet. I won't be taking my avy in for the first oil change for at least another month or more so by that time I may have gotten a letter from them. They couldn't tell me if our car was on the problem list.
    You won't have to keep on leaning left or right on your vacation, so you can enjoy the ride now. Just don't get too many speeding tickets!!!! Have a nice vacation!!
    gladiator99
  • chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    No rust on garage floor
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    avalonbob, Amen, I agree with you. My little doors work like charms and the way we handle them they will last a long time.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Okay, that's what I assumed. I have the limited, too, but my service advisor didn't tell me that was why he couldn't add padding to the seats.
  • theokktheokk Member Posts: 1
    I'm very nervous about a problem I'm experiencing on my new '05 Avalon Limited. Only has 350 miles on it now. Numerous times when I'm going between 40-50 MPH and up a slight incline, the cars vibrates, feels like the transmission or engine, not sure which one, but if I give it some gas, the transmission down shifts and the vibration goes away. I've had a problem with a transmission on the car I replaced, had to be overhauled 3 times...I don't want this again. Anyone else experience this problem?
  • lakedoglakedog Member Posts: 15
    I am a good deal older than 20, but I chose the Phantom Grey. If you have the time to keep your car clean, then get a darker color, they are IMHO very classy looking. I saw a black XLS in the parking lot last week, I'm glad I got the color I did. For me, the blizzard white is too white, if the AVY came in a more of a pearl white, I would have gotten it, especially with the gold package. Good luck, you will love the car.
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    If someone has already answered this one I apologize for the extra time taken.

Your sulfur smell is almost certainly caused by your catalytic converter in your exhaust system.
    Don't hear about much anymore used to be major problem.
    Tell your service man ........a $30.000 car is not supposed to smell like an outdoor tolit.
    One interesting aspect is that you will smell it most often if the WIND is coming from behind you.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I unlocked my car today, got in and pushed the button and it wouldn't even turn over. I panicked and called my son. He said to get out, lock the car and then unlock it and try starting it again. I did, and it started. He said it happened to him when he drove it the other day but he forgot to tell me. So if any of you get in and try to start your car and it doesn't start, just get out, lock it and start over again. Strange!
  • pablo2pablo2 Member Posts: 17
    I will be getting my new Limited Avalon between June 6 - 13. Then, I will be driviing through the mountains in Colorado as I drive to Durango, CO. Have any of you done any mountain driving with the new limited avalon. If so, what has been your experience during your drive? Have you had any trouble pinging of the engine, transmission, steering or braking problems?
  • jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    Rule of thumb for me:

74 when speed limit is 65.

79 when speed limit was 75.

So far it's kept Smokey at bay.

We were quite satisfied with the mileage, considering the mountain ranges one passes on that route.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "Hey guys I really need help. I dunno which color to chose for my Avalon. I need some advice."

Zupmeister - Where to begin? You know, I really think you should go with the white, it's so nice. But then again, the black, that's really boss as we used to say. And there are times I'm taken by the blue one, except that the green is really good looking. But I think the green one is the one that the guy smelled the f*rt in when he romped on it (downwind only). Don't think you'd like that, being from Bahrain and all. So maybe you should opt for the silver. Gosh, I'm just so glad we have these here forums to get all the hard to find information. Kinda nice to have the technology, ain't it?

Groza
  • greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    "The controls are on the wheel because it's safer to have two hands on the wheel as much of your driving time as possible."

Right. And where's the built-in cell phone? And what do you look at to figure out what Mode you are in?

As absfisch said, Toyota's track record with new models is spotty (by their own standard of what they can do down the road a year or two). There's a great deal to be worked out on the Avalon before the defect levels drop. But we don't expect them to do much to the interior.

We've decided to pass. For the Buick crowd any Avvy is a step up, but for the 2000-2004 Avvy owners, the new 2005 has way too many minuses to overcome a few pluses.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Chipmunk47, please email me as soon as possible - pat AT edmunds.com
    Original poster:
    The controls are on the wheel because it's safer to have two hands on the wheel as much of your driving time as possible.

Your response:
    Right. And where's the built-in cell phone? And what do you look at to figure out what Mode you are in?

I agree 100% with the original poster on this. I would never have another car without steering wheel controls. They are very helpful when driving in traffic. Regarding the MODE button... I don't mean to sound sarcastic but, to most people, it's fairly obvious when you switch from CD to FM to AM to determine which mode you are in. And if you can't tell by what you hear, you can, with your peripheral vision, look at the display in the center of the dash. On the top line in large letters it displays the current mode.

Your comment:
    for the 2000-2004 Avvy owners, the new 2005 has way too many minuses to overcome a few pluses.

I believe there are more people (like myself) who bought on '05 Avalon that would not have considered a prior year Avalon than those (such as yourself) who like the older models better. I also assume that this was the objective that Toyota was trying to achieve.
    greenbelt,"We've decided to pass. For the Buick crowd any Avvy is a step up, but for the 2000-2004 Avvy owners, the new 2005 has way too many minuses to overcome a few pluses".
    This is the best of the Avalons I've owned before and although unlike you I won't speak for everyone else I'm sure out of the 9,200 buyers in the month of April and the 24 thousand plus from the beginning of the year (meaning February) there are many happy owners in the majority. I have three other 05 avalon owners where I live and unlike this forum where some who have an agenda and repeat the mantra, these men all love there Avalons as I do and so far have no complaints. So although I respect your right to express your concerns, please don't lump everyone into your opinion. My car definitely has more pluses then my 04 beginning with the power, the windshield wipers, the reclining rear seats, the absolutely beautiful cleaned refined looking interior, the refined styling, all major pluses, and I for one love the little doors that work so well and the easy to use controls on the steering wheels allowing me no longer to hunt the dials on the radio while driving. I don't even have to open that door anymore, everything there is at my finger tips. My seats are as comfortable as the ones in my 04 and the other two Av's I owned. This response isn't a reaction to being sensitive to negative information, but to once again clear the air when you say "but for the 2000-2004 Avvy owners, the new 2005 has way too many minuses to overcome a few pluses". I don't know what minuses there might be on my car other then a smaller trunk probably because of the reclining rear seats, other then that there are none in my case. The pluses far outweigh any minuses and anyone stepping on the gas and hearing that putty cat hum will know what I mean. Since your going to buy another car why do you stay here trying to criticize the Avalon. Your not enlightening anyone, you just seem to be trying to steer people away for what ever your reason is. I was never a Buick owner. As I ride down the nations Highways, I notice that sometimes it seems every other car has the Toyota badge on it. More than anything else that speaks about the reliability and the excellent trade in value you get for the car since for the Camry and Avalon, the depreciation is so much less than other makes, and that is a fact, not an opinion. That is another major plus, and no minus when making a purchasing decision. Other then that, nothing is perfect.
    I also forgot to mention I love the dimming feature on my rear view mirror and driver side mirror. I no longer get blinded by those cars behind me who might have their brights on. I also love the garage door opener, one for me and one for my sisters garage. All major pluses. My wife absolutely loves the controls on the steering wheel. I will never buy another car without them. I know in the past there were many occasions on 95 while traveling at 79 miles an hour, I was hunting stations by the radio controls slightly slumped trying to reach them while I should have been concentrating on driving the car. What a relaxing feeling it now is with just a short finger press I can change the station or bring on my CD, lower the volume etc., or just turn it off. All major pluses. I also love the automatic A/C, I think it cools my car faster as well as the defogging feature for my front window. That's just my observation. So overall for me, I have a much better car than the 04 and it feels better on the highway and is extremely quiet.
  • grozagroza Member Posts: 89
    "...anyone stepping on the gas and hearing that putty cat hum will know what I mean."

Just me - The perfect description of this car and its motor. Thank you, my friend.

Groza
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    I hope greenbelt's post doesn't scare any potential buyers. No defects with my new Avalon, it's the best car I've ever owned and I never owned a Buick!
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    couldn't agree more...looks definitely don't matter as much as comfort and fit for this crotchety 50 something year old...what i like is a v6 that makes 280hp and gets 19-20 mpb around town (if you don't use all of the 280 horses).

oh, and one more....it's a steal!! 30k for that motor and transmission and HID'S..i'm partial to the touring model...i think that offers the best value out of the model line=up...

one only has to look no further than the avalon to understand why certain automakers find themselves in a corner, with no relief in sight. jackg 90seville 97k
  • dmorcosdmorcos Member Posts: 22
    "I'm very nervous about a problem I'm experiencing on my new '05 Avalon Limited. Only has 350 miles on it now. Numerous times when I'm going between 40-50 MPH and up a slight incline, the cars vibrates, feels like the transmission or engine, not sure which one, but if I give it some gas, the transmission down shifts and the vibration goes away. I've had a problem with a transmission on the car I replaced, had to be overhauled 3 times...I don't want this again. Anyone else experience this problem?"

I had the same thing happen to me today. Same exact circumstance.
    Mine is 2 days old, with 230 miles.
  • ronharvronharv Member Posts: 51
    White not only looks reasonably clean even when it's dirty but reflects much more heat than a dark color.
  • perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Thank you Ange for your response. I am very grateful.
    You look at the blue display in the dash above the radio to see what Mode you're in. I've had first year models of Mustang, Miata and Z4 and didn't have troubles. You can get a bad car any year. My '67 Mustang was awful.
    IMHO if your car downshifts going up a hill you probably approached the hill too slow to climb it and the car compensated by down shifting. You did that yourself when you drove a manual, correct?.
    Is it rusty water or brown colored water? Drive the car, quit worrying about a normal condition.
    Thank you Groza. You and everyone have a wonderful Memorial Weekend. Unfortunately it's one of those solemn holidays if you focus on it's meaning. As a veteran I salute all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice and those still serving. Every one who proudly served should be gifted and Avalon. Oh well, I can dream, they earned it.