Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Where is the DVD player located?
    So you cant order one with the 05 Avalon? "

In my system the player is located in the drivers side unit, the screen pops forward and you insert the disk in the top, right behind the screen.

I could have ordered a system from the stealer but they wanted another 500 bucks then I paid.

MikeS
  • roberturobertu Member Posts: 15
    3putt, you posted "The method of measuring power or torqe vs rpm can change, mainly what accessories are on the engine, is there an exhaust system, water pump attached, power steering pump, etc. Testing standards have been set by SAE, DIN. Maybe there is a new update to some of these standards"

The test method for reporting horsepower & torque were just rewritten by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers). I've read that the new method will eliminate some fudging that the manufacturers can do. This might explain what happened to the Avalon's apparent loss of rated HP from 280 to 268. My guess is the motor is the same. Too bad. 280 HP had a nice ring to it.

Just for info, Chevrolet's motor for their supercar Corvette LS06 was the first engine re-rated. Chevy actually picked up 5 HP using the new testing method, from 500 HP to 505 HP.

ROBERTU
  • mhepplemhepple Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the suggestions. The rep was out, so I figured I would address the exhaust pipe ideas about forming, bending, spindling, stapling when it goes back in for the fog-light replacement.

It did take 30 minutes to pick up the car, though. The cashier had it that I was to be charged for the oil & filter change (had to correct to complimentary.) Then his printer ran out of paper. Then, they had the wrong parking space ticket on the key (or the right space and the wrong key ... not sure which) and it took 10-15 minutes to sort that out.
  • jeffscoutjeffscout Member Posts: 8
    My wife tells me that our new LTD w/ Nav did not dim the nav screen last night while she was driving. Is this something that needs to be set up in the nav menu or is it supposed to be triggered by the headlights coming on?

Anyone else here get really annoyed with the sensitivity of the little joystick on the Nav? I hope Toyota comes out with a TSB and a fix for it. Our dealer representative couldn't even get it to work properly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    > My wife tells me that our new LTD w/ Nav did not dim the nav screen last night
    > while she was driving. Is this something that needs to be set up in the nav menu
    > or is it supposed to be triggered by the headlights coming on?

I had this problem also. Normally, the nav screen SHOULD go dark at night. However, this can be overridden by rotating the dash dimmer knob (on the upper lefthand side of the dash) fully clockwise until it clicks. Your dimmer knob probably is now in the override position. To fix this, turn it slightly counter-clockwise until it clicks. This will keep the dash bright, but still allow the nav screen to change to the dark night view, which is much easier on dark-adjusted eyes. Mine now even goes dark in tunnels and parking garages, and the headlights come on automatically as well.

> Anyone else here get really annoyed with the sensitivity of the little joystick on
    > the Nav?

Yes, me too. I'd really prefer a touch screen, but I figure that it is items like this (and the less luxurious leather) that keep the car's price around $30K instead of the $50K Lexus. I don't really use the joy stick to accurately position the cursor on the map --- only to move to specific buttons on the menu pages.
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    A couple of years ago, I asked about an email notification feature for edmunds forums. Other forums, like Yahoo, will send you emails when a new post occurs, or you can get a daily summary. I was told that it was being considered, or being worked on. What is the status? Is there a plan to offer this or not? It sure saves lots of time repeatedly running here to check. Or does Edmunds just want to show that have nore hits on their site? How about it folks, do you want this feature? If so, speak up. It's really neat.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I think I've solved the horsepower issue. The clues are on the Canadian Toyota website. The 2005 data shows 280hp and 260lbs/ft torque with an asterisk. The asterisk reads "Premium fuel recommended for optimum performance."
    The 2006 data shows the lower hp and torque ratings without any asterisk or comment on fuel grade. My guess is that the lower ratings are based on using regular grade gas instead of premium. Probably a marketing move by Toyota considering that many people won't consider a car that requires premium, and it also distances the Avalon hp specification down from the 2006 Lexus ES350 which will likely output 280hp on premium, and be promoted as such.
    My experience is that running an engine on a lower grade fuel is false economy. The engine develops less power although the same amount of energy is required to move the vehicle, irrespective of fuel. The difference is that a lower grade fuel has a lower calorific value than a higher grade fuel, so more fuel is used to deliver the same amount of energy required to move the same load. This boils down to more power and better economy on premium and less power and less economy using a low grade gas, so the net gas expenditure difference becomes negligible.
  • jeffscoutjeffscout Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, I'll try the dimmer switch tonight.

I agree on the touch screen and the $15k savings over the Lexus. We were looking at GS300 and Infiniti M35 before finding the Avalon.

We do have to take our Toyota back in to the dealer to fix a squeaky passenger front door. I'll post an update on what they find.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    deaner1; After reading your 7757 posting I started to laugh. I think there are some dealers who dumb like a fox. The Toyota engineers certainly did not design defects into the 2005 Avalon and owners need not accept somebody's incompentence and neglegence. Belive it or not everybody on the assembly line got paid.

I had a close call with laser speed control.I was doing 70 mph on Pa. Turnpike up a long hill and the car ahead had slowed to about 60 mph before Icould go around him. As I turned into the passing lane the transmission suddenly dropped 2-3 gears, rpms jumped to 5000 rpms and the car took off, headed toward guardrails. This caught me by surprise as the manual states the car will gradually return to the set speed.

I reread the laser manual later and going up a hill was not included in do not use list.Maybe listing the areas where it is safe would be a smaller list.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    Took my 2005 Avalon XLS to dealer this AM. Wanted the door glass rattle fixed. If the window is partially down, it rattles when the door is shut. The mechanic went to other Avalons on the lot and found the same situation when the window is only down an inch or two. So, nothing done. Anyone else with this condition??? :confuse:
    The left fog light was loose. Service person admitted it was definitely loose and he couldn't tighten it like it was but put a couple of washers on the post and snugged it up. I then went into the lot where a new 2006 LTD was setting. The left light was even looser than mine. Repairman had no answer.
    I asked about the transmission feeling like engine was surging when brakes applied. He admitted that nearly everyone is complaining about the transmission and hopes that enough complaints will spur Toyota to do something. Of course, Toyota's answer is that it is getting used to your driving habits.
    Checked on XM radio kit for JBL six-disc radio. Price $299 plus $120 (2 hrs) to install. They had a new number for the kit, PT546-07050.
  • jl618jl618 Member Posts: 64
    In the September 2005 issue of Consumer Reports, the article on the Lexus GS300 states "As in the Infiniti, the screen doubles as the backup system monitor when the car is moving in reverse."

It also lists one of the HIGHS as the optional backup camera.

According to Edmunds, the backup camera is included in the navigation system option ($2250 MSRP/$1895 Invoice).

Is the GS300 navigation system a virtual clone of the Avalon's? If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a rear view camera for those of us with the Avalon nav.

Anyone know?
  • haggishaggis Member Posts: 10
    After waiting since early June, we picked up our Limited yesterday and put on about 180 miles driving home. You wouldn't believe how many problems we noticed with the car in a relatively short trip. The fog lamps were not loose. The tail pipes were aligned properly. The rear window had no distortion. The seats are very comfortable and there is no "pleating" problem with the leather seatback. The drivers seat adjusts more ways than I can use. All of the door locks work properly. There is no misalignment of the dash panels. The radio and nav covers don't stick. The remote start worked on the first try. Putting our address for "home" into the nav also worked on the first try, and there was no problem using the joystick. After starting the car, I said "Go Home" and the nav went into action. I tried many voice nav features on the way home and it only misinterpreted me one time, and that was when my wife started talking while I was saying "North Up". On our three hour drive we never heard a rattle or squeak from the strut towers, seats, doors, seatbelts, windows, rear deck or mirror bezels. The seatbelts never became constricting. When it started getting dark, I lowered the rear window shade and didn't accidentally open the trunk. Never once did the side mirrors get broken off while passing cars in other lanes. As far as I can tell, no bolts fell out of the car. On the straight highway I took my hands off the wheel and the car did not drift to the left or right. Part of the trip was about 45 miles winding through the mountains on a two lane road, and the steering felt very comfortable. Worst of all, there was no dreaded transmission hesitation, even though I used the accelerator a lot to keep the speed varying as recommended during the break-in period. All I can say is "Worst car ever" ;)
    The Avalon is an absolutely great car with great features. No car is perfect. There are tens of thousands of new Avalon owners like myself who are excited and satisfied with their purchase and I am happy not to have encountered any of the problems mentioned in this forum. This forum has provided me with so much helpful information and I would recommend anyone getting an Avalon to read every page in the manual available at ToyotaIGuide before driving off the lot. I get tired of a few people here who hang around and gripe the most, nit-pick and curse Toyota, but that is their prerogative. Many people tend to post to a forum only when they have a question or a problem, but I am pleased to post about a very positive experience with the Avalon. I would recommend it to anyone who can still drive a car safely. :)
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Alan if you check the 2006 Camry vs the 2005 Camry or the 2006 Corolla vs the 2005 Corolla, you will see that the 2006 engines all have less power than their 2005 versions. I believe this is due to the 2006 new method of calculating Net Horsepower.

Some engines from different manufactures pick up a few horses, some lose a few.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Now I'm seriously interested in this car..... I will never buy a new vehicle without Stability Control, which I consider every bit as important a safety feature as airbags. But I hate sunroofs, and I'm not wild about leather seats and fake wood trim either. Now I can get an Avalon XL with VSC. Great news!

Now, if only Toyota would make the firmer Touring suspension and steering bits an option for ALL models (instead of a separate model).... well, one can't have everything I guess.
  • buck11buck11 Member Posts: 30
    Well you obviously got a lemon!! Probably the salespersons fault. Go figure.

This was the best post I've read in a long time. Enjoy your new LTD. My 06 is due in on 8/11 and so now I'm getting ready for all the disappointment you've encountered.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    After enthusing about the prospect of buying an XL with VSC, I see from the website configurator that VSC is only available as part of a package (B) that also includes the CD changer and sunroof. I don't care one way or another about the CD changer, but I don't want a sunroof. Anybody know if it would it be possible to do a "sunroof delete" on an XL with Package B? Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't know the answer to that question. I haven't heard anything that indicates that's one of the enhancements on the horizon, but that doesn't mean it isn't somewhere in the pipeline.

The place to ask is in the Forums Software discussion - which would also be the place to try to drum up support for the idea since it isn't on topic here. ;)
  • dcboaterdcboater Member Posts: 16
    Good evening, some of you might remember my first post, grinning from ear to ear after returning from my Northern VA Toyota dealer after laying down a $1,000 deposit for a 2005 Blizzard Pearl with Ivory perforated interior. Well, two weeks later now and the dealer has come back to me saying the only thing they can do is wait on a 2006 delivery in late August or early September. He didn't mention a "renegotiate" or any pricing differences.

My question is should I allow him to keep my $1000 for another month or so, even though it is not a prescribed factory order and he will still try a "dealer swap", only this time for a 2006 model ? We haven't really signed a "deal sheet", all I have is an email of an agreed upon price after trade, taxes & title (out the door) and he has my check (already cashed).

I'm thinking I would be better off demanding my $1k back and "shopping around" for the best 2006 "order" price (I'm picky about what I want) and selling my 97 pristine Q45 outright instead of trading.

Your thoughts please --- all assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    dcboater :confuse:
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Gosh, you had the same experience as me when I got my LTD back in Febuary and I've had ever since. But I have another problem. My mpg seems to be higher when I put 87 octane in the tank than when I fill up with 91 or 93 octane ( 27 vs. 25). This is probably because I can't drive as fast since I'm losing all that horsepower. Damn that Toyota. :)
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    heheh nice post i cant wait another 2 weeks to get my hand on my blizzard limited :D with touring rear spoiler ;)

ali
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    One is invariably better off selling privately rather than trading in if the vehicle is in decent condition. Dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail - which leaves plenty of room for the private transaction to be profitable. In Canada, sales tax applies to dealer sales, but not to private ones, creating an additional incentive.
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    I have had my XLS for one month and have found no defects at all and am very happy. I spent the last week on a business trip driving a Dodge Magnum. It is supposed to be a hot car but I gotta tell you I could not wait to get back to my Avalon waiting for me at the airport parking lot. It really confirmed I DONE GOOD
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    My vote would be to get your $1K back! The dealer has been usingyour $$ and wants to continue to use it maybe until September...what do you get? Will there be more delays? Curious, what dealer is it? I used to live in NVa and bought Toyota's there.

If it were me, I would be heading in another direction with my $1K to find another dealer who would shoot straight with me.

I was lucky - I wanted a Blizzard Pearl LTD and my dealer simply turned his "swap guy" on and he found me one - right off the assembly line and I had it 2 weeks later...this was in early June. After seeing the agony everyone is going through to get that color, I consider myself fortunate.

Personally, I would bail & get my $$ back - and be VERY candid with them why you are going elsewhere.
    zekeman1
  • amoxomaamoxoma Member Posts: 11
    Picked up my 2005 Avalon XLS with JBL-12 speaker system, VSC last Saturday. The 52-mile round trip (42 highway) has been very smooth, feel like I'm floating across the rubble-patch that is the PA state interstate system. And Billy Holiday never sounded better. By day 4, I had the seats adjusted perfectly - there are quite a few degrees of freedom there! Averaged 24.5 MPG for the week, on the cheap stuff, A/C full blast, and that also includes some leisurely around-town driving on Saturday. I'll need to do some experimenting there with different gasoline grades and different driving styles. Tonite I filled her up with 93. All in all, I would have to say that I couldn't be more pleased.

But just now, because of this forum, I went out with my flashlight to check the fog lights. Sure enough, they are loose! But I don't consider that to be a big deal - when I take it for service, I'll have them fix it up. I once owned a Chrysler - after that, it's hard to be upset about loose fog lights.
    Thursday I had the pleasure of a 436 mile round trip on the rubble patch that is the Pa. Interstate system, I loved that line, thanks. Anyways after getting to Philly I spent the next 2.5 hours driving around town. I plugged in 3 different addresses into the Nav system and it faithfully took me to all 3. I sure couldn't have done it that easy with maps.

In all I spent 10.5 hours in the car, when I got home my rear was still feeling great. This is the best riding car I've ever had. Oh, and fuel economy? I averaged 29.7 for the r/t.

MikeS.
    I now have 10,300 miles on my LTD, Monday it goes into my local non dealer mechanic for its 3rd oil change. I'll be putting in Mobil1.

MikeS.
    "In Canada, sales tax applies to dealer sales, but not to private ones, creating an additional incentive."

Arizona used to be that way, but I think they changed it. In MN, we get screwed if we sell ourselves. We then have to pay sales tax on the full price of the new one. There may be a way around it by running the sale through the dealer and buying the new car outright though.

BTW, does anyone know if 'used to' or 'use to' is proper?
    What an enlightening post. I can see how 'wife talking' could be a problem for lots of people. :-) You have an 05? Musta gotten their act together.
  • tweetwee Member Posts: 1
    Has any one heard what will be new in the 2006 Avalon? True, the 2005 came out only six months ago, but the 2006 is coming out in late September. After such significant changes from 2004 to 2005 there are bound to be errors and omissions and problems. Whether small items like loose fog lights to larger issues such as the Avalon transmission problems, one would think Avalon HAS to make some corrections or improvements to continue their positive sales for the next year.

So, any news on the 2006 Avalon??
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It's "used to" because it's past tense. And while I'm at it, not that you ever did this, another common mistake is "alot" - the phrase "a lot" is two separate words. :-P
  • jose7jose7 Member Posts: 11
    I've had my car Touring for a week and love it. Got the windows tinted and had Colormatch paint the XM antenna (looks great) and will have it centered on trunk by back window. Now on to the problem. Has anyone else had a problem with the back doors not unlocking? I've tried all the automatic setups for locking/unlocking the doors, both the driver and passenger door releases, the key directly in the door, manually trying the locks from the back seat. None of them will work! Basically I can't open the back doors! Any similar experiences? Other thoughts or suggestions? I called the dealer and a neither the salesman or the service tech has never heard of this problem. So I have an appt on Tuesday. Thanks for the help and a great forum...
    When the doors are unlocked can you open the rear doors from the outside? If so it's probably the child safety locks that manufacturers are putting on all vehicles now. That's the only thing I can think it would be. Good luck.
  • jose7jose7 Member Posts: 11
    The rear doors don't unlock at all. I can't open them from the inside or outside.
  • sobsob Member Posts: 15
    Please comment further on your statement that 06 lease rates are up. What were the old rates for the '05's.......specifically the XLS. Thanks
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Haggis, it was so nice to read your post. You share my sentiments about the Avalon. I have over 7,000 miles now and no problems.
  • fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    Regarding your comment about joystick vs. touch-screen ... Don't forget that the $22k Prius has a touch screen Nav. The placement of the Nav on the Avalon, however, sort of make touch-screen Nav not very ergonomics though since the driver (or even the passenger) would have to reach out quit a bit to even touch the screen.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    One suggestion is to have your deposit refunded and check out other dealers. Today in the Phila area a dealer advertised $3500 off MSRP and had 26 Avalons on their lot. E-Mail conicelli.com ange1
    Firstly, thanks all for your valuable insight and advice. Secondly, the dealer here in NOVA (Koons - Arlington) has given me an offer I seemingly can't refuse, that is, the same deal that we negotiated on a 2005, he will honor on a 2006 and has promised my exact Blizzard White with Ivory interior (and my specified options : Option package B (VSC, CL, NAV), CF, WL & V2)) delivery in late August or first week of September.

I don't think I can go wrong getting a 2006 for the same price as a 2005 ? btw, my negotiated deal is $1800 off MSRP and a good trade for my 97 Q45 (6,000).

Also, if you get a chance to view this week's PBS "MOTORWEEK", there is a splendid review/test of the 2005 Avalon.

Thanks for all the feedback - great board !
    dcboater
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Thanks "DCBoater" for mention of the test in PSB MotorWeek. While I wait for my new Avalon I am trying to read up as much as possible. Here is the link:

link title

Mike
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Is "firstly" a word? :D
  • roskiroski Member Posts: 15
    Press the Map button again. It will take you back to your current position.
    cute !!! :D

According to Merriam - Webster :

Main Entry: first·ly
    Pronunciation: -lE
    Function: adverb
    : in the first place : FIRST

Thanks,
    dcboater
  • timfranktimfrank Member Posts: 1
    Me too! Pulls slightly to the right. Everything else seems fine but,even though I have the Touring model, I would like more firmness on corners-maybe a bigger sway bar. Any suggestions?

I get many comments about what a beautiful car it is(black on black with dark anodized wheels) and,so far,I love it.

Will be installing Alpine component speakers front and rear with Alpine digital amp next week. I will post results at that time. :)
  • paulexpaulex Member Posts: 16
    I just finished the paperwork wor my new XLS - Blizzard Pearl with Ivory interior. Options included are: Nav, VSC, SPoiler, and Remote Starter. We negotiated $3000 of sticker....MSRP is $36,237 - we negotiated $33,210. Good deal?

Thanks,
    Paulex
  • greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    As long as it's an 06.

05 should be at or under invoice by now.
  • lazarouslazarous Member Posts: 28
    I'm planning on buying a 2006 Avalon. I have noticed that all Avalons are recommending to use premium unleaded fuel. Would using regular unleaded cause any kind of problems on the future? Thanks
  • paulexpaulex Member Posts: 16
    greenbelt -
    "under invoice by now"?

Not here in Las Vegas. Especially the Blizzard Pearl with Ivory. That car is scarce in this region for some reason. I have called dealers in UT, AZ, and COL - all to no avail.

Paulex
    You got a decent deal. Not the best, but still a good deal. I haven't heard of anyone negotiating an under invoice deal on one yet. I don't think you will in the near future either. Besides, as long as your happy, what does it really matter?
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    All Avalons do NOT require premium gasoline. My owner's manual indicates that 87 octane is fine for ordinary, everyday use. More expensive, higher octane fuels might have some use if you have money riding on your car at the local drag strip.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Two times in one night my car alarm went off while it was sitting in my garage. There were no loud noises or vibrations - all was as quiet as a mouse around here - late at night and it suddenly started honking. About 30 minutes later it did it again. That has happened one time before - quite awhile back. I don't even lock it and set the alarm when it is parked in my garage because the garage door is locked. Has this happened to anyone else?