Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    You're right, I didn't see the owners manual address the item in the small console box either, but it did seem to be a cell phone holder.
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    I too read the manual, have probably already forgotten a lot of of the intricacies on what I read. Don't know if you have the NAV system but there is no way I will ever remember all of the voice activation commands listed in its manual. You know how aged we Avy owners are supposed to be so I guess my old brain just can't retain those voice commands. :)
  • currycurry Member Posts: 22
    Gee, I looked in the owner's manual and could not find anything on it. I'll have to look again. Thanks.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    It's called an Air Conditioning Filter. See page 233.
    The person who edited this manual apparently doesn't reside on this planet. Nothing seems to be listed where a "normal" person would look for it. :confuse: At least that's my opinion and you know what that is worth. :D
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    The "thingie" is a cell phone holder, per my dealer (for what that's worth).
  • barclay3barclay3 Member Posts: 90
    gar333...I got the cassis pearl (looks like burgundy to me) with the ivory interior. Looks great. Very happy with it. Also got pin striping painted on.

I took a trip last week. Got 26.5 mpg going and 29.5 mpg coming home. Had trouble keeping it under 85 going but kept it about 75 coming home (more cops).
  • wynwyn Member Posts: 32
    My dealer identified the "thingie" as a cell phone holder also.

Perhaps you could identify the two plastic extensions in the trunk. Located behind the lid, up at the top of the back seat. Dealer first indicated they were part of the seat reclining system, then retracted the statement and gave up. Any ideas?

Also wonder how the fog lights are "tightened?" They seem to simply snap into the plastic. Perhaps with calking?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    scs111, if you're getting the car from a leasing company your car will be delivered after the leasing company gets it from a dealer. You're probably better off getting the car through the dealer and leasing it there also.
    :)
    Mackabee
    p.s. Production of 2006 Avalons was moved to Japan due to all the complaints from Edmund's posters. Once all the "defects" are corrected it will be moved back to Kentucky and the American workers will be retrained in the art of "kaizen"
    :blush:
    scs111, there's still plenty of senior citizens that own cassettes and have not turned over to the "cd revolution". Do a search on the average age of a Toyota buyer and you'll see why cassette players are still being put in vehicles. No offense toward senior citizens. I own a few cassettes myself and have resisted going into the MP3 "revolution" plus I will be hitting the big 5 O in December and am still resisting going into an Avalon. I'll take a Ferrari or Porsche anyday.
    ;)
    Mackabee
    Gypsy, I love customers like you. They don't like to "dicker" but in fact that's all you're doing until you get the "rock bottom" price aren't you?
    ;)
    Mackabee
  • redeye1redeye1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a new XLS and am looking for the size wrench needed to remove/replace the wheel lug nuts. Checked the "high quality" wrench in the trunk and no size is stamped on it. Want to be able to use my torque wrench on them to rotate the tires.
  • redeye1redeye1 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone installed "after market" or Toyota mud guards? wondering if any drilling is required? Hate to drill holes in an area where ice and snow collect.
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Yes---Dealer adjusted my headlights, under warranty, to comply with Maryland State Law they said.
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    I installed Toyota mud guards. Drilling is only required at the rear, but the largest job here is removing the rear wheels. The body panel is plastic so this is easy once with the rear wheels are removed. Black guards are available through any Toyota dealer. I understand that color matching units can be ordered from Gulf region dealers.
  • gar333gar333 Member Posts: 12
    Looks like burgundy to me too ! Same color combination I'm looking for, haven't seen many. I'm still trying to get the price right, and then hope they can find me one.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    It is good news to hear the Toyota people are listening to the complaints.I am a P.E. in Corrosion Engineering and I commented a number of times re the defects, or short falls of the 2005 Avalon. I have found all of the pre 2005 Avalons that I looked at in the various dealer's lots were made and put together far better than my car. I think Toyota has to police their dealers closer. My first time Toyota buyer repair experience has been no different to all other dealers. I bought a Toyota becauase of all the real great publicity and articles. I truly am not proud a owner.

I am really disappointed about the restating of the HP. This is not an honest way to advertise the Avalon. Many forum writers have complained about items from misaligned tailpipes to loose fog lights. These are real.

I have looked at other cars manufacturers re the fog lights. The Avalon has the poorest,{cheapest] method of attaching to the grill of any car. The Limited has the Laser module placed at one side of the grill and doesn't have anything at the other side to off set the black rectangular hole. This certainly , if you look at the grill,looks sloppy. Anyone could of eaisly placer a similiar shaped area on the other side to give the Avalon some more appeal.

I understand the Avalon was designed and built in the USA. They used a computer to design the car. Maybe they should have built a prototype to actually see one in the real. I have

seen a number of "on paper" designs not work out, primarily because the people did not do their homework.I am convinced the 2005 model was put together with much less engineering than the pre 2005 models.

I am not concerned about the Avalon drivetrain, other than transmission, because there are automatic machines making the parts.It is similar to others, except for the stated HP. I do have the warranty. This gives me a more comfortable feeling.

I hope you don't consider me one of the nit-picking complainers like my dealer did. The service manager asked me what kind of work I did. When I told him, he said "o now I understand."I have taken the aproach to my work as--it is what is. Tell it like it is. My defects are real. ange1
  • fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    I wasn't too upset when I noticed the few minor issues (defective strut, loose fog light, and deformed driver window run), but this news of Avalon production moving back to Japan upsets me. If I had known this, I would've held off on the purchase until I know my car would be manufacturered in Japan, which most likely would've given a much better overall fit and quality than what I have now.

That said, I'm still glad that my car is running issue-free, and I definitely feel that I got great bang for my bucks. My co-workers can't stop mentioning my car!
    I'm still not understanding why you're upset over the re-stated HP. The car still drives the same. It still goes from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds -- that's in-line with a BMW 330 (6.0 ~ 6.9s), a Mercedes-Benz E350 (6.5s), a Jaguar XJ (6.3s), and a Lexus GS300 (6.8 ~ 6.9s), all of which cost a heck lot more than the Avalon. In my opinion, the real performance is what matters, not the numbers.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    Pls tell me what you did about the deformed driver window run. My driver window vibrates back and forth with the window about 4-6 inches lowered and when the door is closed it sounds more like a 1940's car. Have had it to the dealer twice. Some young kid removed the door panel and said he found nothing wrong. The service writer said she had reported it to Toyota and "is sure that when Toyota finds a fix" they will contact me. It would seem apparent that if there is a problem with only one window something is really wrong.
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    The plastic extensions behind the rear seat house the compression springs for the recliner mechanism. It looks like the hook was added to provide a place to hang something.
    I don't think my situation was the same as what you're describing. The rubber molding on the driver-side window was folding outwards for half the length. The dealer simply ordered a new rubber molding (or a "window run," as the tech rep called it) and replaced it. I didn't experience any vibration issue.
  • passat1.8tpassat1.8t Member Posts: 8
    Does the 2006 avalon have a factory installed xm antenna? Where is it placed?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I don't think Mac was really serious when he said production of Avalons was moving back to Japan because of concerns raised on this discussion board!
  • cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    It never ceases to amaze me that some folks believe anything that they read on the net or elsewhere. How gullible we must be! Now let's get serious for a moment. All Avalons 2005 and 2006 are still made here in Kentucky and I am sure that they will continue to be made there in the future. Just imagine what it would cost to temporarily move a production line like this.

If this forum is going to be of any use to any of us we must be truthful.
  • rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    I installed rear mudguards without removing rear wheels, I just jacked the rear of the car up and few inches which gave me enough clearance to drill holes.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Mackabee made a joke and because of his esteemed reputation here the joke was taken seriously by one or more members of this discussion. Both of those things are completely understandable.

Let's just move on and not get into chastising anyone - we are all here to exchange information, be helpful to one another and enjoy ourselves. Everything doesn't have to be deadly serious at all times. ;)

Have fun!
  • dajabdajab Member Posts: 35
    > Looks like burgundy to me too !

Post #5869 from "just_me" has some links to very good images of cassis pearl 2005 Avalons. I checked the links today and they still work.

We also have the cassis pearl; took delivery in mid May. Absolutely wonderful color! But I would call it a Bing Cherry Red. (Personally I don't like burgundy or purple, so I insist on calling it something else. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) At night it is quite dark and elegant. In in the bright daytime sun it is a beautiful dark red. Compare the images in sun and shade on those links.
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    It is on the trunk lid on passenger side about half way toward the bumper. The antenna is only about 1 1/2 sq.

I was annoyed at first and tried to find somebody to move it but because it installed with short lines etc no one wanted to bother with a factory antenna.

But then I realized that GM on-star looks worse and for years and even now there are standard antennas on cars that look worse. Gave up and now it looks ok :-)
  • charlesn1charlesn1 Member Posts: 15
    :) To All,

Just installed the body side moldings on my '05 Blizzard Pearl Avalon. Purchased them from the Sport Wing web site, $155 delivered. The color is a perfect match! Installed very easily; just be sure to follow the instructions completely, especially measuring the 10 3/4 inches up from the crease on the door. When I first applied the tape for guidence, it looked crooked. I stepped back about 25 ft and got a better perspective on how it would look. I used the tape for guidence, but just as a precaution, I used a level as I was applying the molding. It made me feel better knowing that they was going on level. To me, the molding looks great on the car. But as mentioned in other posts, it's a matter of personal choice.
    I am waiting on my color matching mud guards to arrive from "AnthingToyota.com".
    Once I get them installed, I will try to post some photos of them and the molding.
    Charlie
    douglas1, have you done anything to remedy the problem or know of any possible solution? Anyone else?
    gbinplano, I only see the GPS receiver and a small bunch of wires for probably HomeLink. What does it look like exactly?
    LOL. My bad. At least now I feel even better about my purchase ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ;) :P
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    fragmire, sorry to say I haven't gotten any solutions. Asked the dealer about it last time I was in and he said he could find nothing wrong. Was hoping someone here might find a solution.
  • rosebud3rosebud3 Member Posts: 14
    I postponed picking up my '06 Blizzard Pearl Avalon Ltd. until today. Many potential concerns may have been eliminated by working with my sales representative. Late last week I e-mailed to my salesman a note requesting all frequently expressed concerns be inspected and resolved as necessary prior to picking up the car. Today I walked around the car, opened then closed plastic covers, tapped fog lights, checked tail pipes and the rear window. Tire pressure was checked for accuracy and adjusted earlier. My initial comments are 100% favorable.
    XM radio antenna is mounted on the deck lid far right side/center. I can report the Ltd's wheels chromed look very nice. Black mud guards look sharp blending into the color of the tires. I do have some anxiety however. I remained standing at the dealer while my wife drove off the lot in the new car leaving me to drive my current '00 Avalon. I'll give the car a more detailed look and drive tonight.
    Going to check out the new Cassis Pearl Limited tomorrow. Dealer just got it in and it has everything I was looking for. The deal has been made. Now I'm trying to remember everything that I need to check so I get it fixed before I leave the lot. Fit and trim, fog lights, distorted rear window, door covers on the dash. pleats on the seats, window runs, and general fit and finish. Have I missed anything ? Don't want to miss anything in the excitement. Really looking forward to getting this car though ! And what do you think about the extended warranty I know they will offer ? I intend to drive the car for several years, I always do.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    ange-
    do you know something specific about the trans. in the Avy - or is this something based on just a checkered history of auto trannies in high horsepower front drivers like the TLs and Maximas?
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    the extended platinum warranty from Toyota I think is a great deal. 7 years, 100,000 miles and 0 deductible. there are many things that can go wrong especially in the Limited. do not pay more than $1,000. I paid that at Glen Burnie Brown's Toyota in Maryland and there was a dealer in MA selling it for $985. You can buy it from any Toyota dealer, not just where you are buying your car. show your dealer this post and he will come around or go elsewhere. good luck with your car. you should love it.
    Thank you "jordan7". I do think it is a good idea if intending to keep the car for a while. And I do. I'll compare the $985 to what they offer, and go from there. If they can offer it in Maryland, they can offer it in Indiana too. Thanks again for the feedback.
  • scs111scs111 Member Posts: 22
    My understanding is the leasing company is getting it straight from Toyota. I get it for invoice less $200, which is better than any dealer I've looked at by far!! All of the dealers in Houston either want sticker price or they might discount the car by a few hundred dollars.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I don't understand. Don't most people normally make the lease agreement at a Toyota dealer. What kind of lease compay did you deal with. Great price on a 2006 by the way. So what do you have for options and what was the price on which the lease was based.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Cell phone holder.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    As algee stated, it's on the trunk lid, either left or right hand side. Search on this blog under "xm antenna" and you will see a myriad of postings regarding the positioning of the antenna. It's a no-brainer to remove it from the trunk lid, disconnect it from the receiver in the trunk, replace the antenna with a Terk micro-antenna & splitter and put it on the roof, rear package deck or front dash. I have done it successfully as well as several other posters...putting it on the front dash inside the car makes it practically invisible.
    zekeman1
  • scs111scs111 Member Posts: 22
    I'm getting the car through a commercial leasing arrangement by buying through my company. I ordered the Limited with VSC, spoiler, and floor mats for $30,700 + TTL. :)
  • jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    There I was lying in a hammock on a Saturday maybe 2 months ago while reading a new car magazine which came in the mail that day. At that time we owned an '04 Prius, an '02 Prius, and a warm weather/fun car '92 Lexus SC300. No need to get a new car at all, or so I thought. On the magazine's cover was a picture of the newly redesigned '06 Mazda MX-5 (formerly Miata). Wow, how great is that! So, off to the Mazda dealership I went soon thereafter, but only left over '05's were on lot. Took a drive and enjoyed that older model car. Put down deposit for Limited model, one of only two such units destined for our city. Some weeks later went back to dealership with partner for update and on way home stopped by Audi dealership "just for a look". Ended up buying on the spot a black '05 A4 convertible with tan leather interior. It seemed like much more car than the Mazda and possibly safer too. Traded in '04 Prius which had been wonderful to own. After a couple days of driving around with top down we mostly reverted to having top up for greater comfort and quiet. In time we decided that the rear visibility was so poor that it was dangerous when backing out of parking spots at work. We never warmed up to the Audi's controls either... we much prefer the design and function of Toyota/Lexus controls. Interior started to seem too small and entire car too impractical. Just days before, when I was crossing the Toyota dealer's lot to take in the paperwork to get a refund on the Prius' unused extended warranty, I happened to see an '05 Phantom Pearl Limited Avalon with tan interior. I looked inside and was impressed. Price seemed quite reasonable for all that was included. Gas mileage on sticker was better than the Audi A4 with its 1.8T engine and CVT transmission. I thought, "How come we never saw THIS car before?" It seemed like a much better deal than the Audi. As an aside, the price for an extended warranty of same coverage on the Audi was about $2800+ whereas on the Avalon it was only $1200+ (and some have gotten it for <$1K). I guess that tells me something about expected repairs costs on those vehicles. Realizing that we had probably made a mistake in buying the Audi convertible, two weeks to the day that we bought it we traded it in for our '05 Desert Sand Mica Avalon Limited. At that first Toyota dealership they had that same Phantom Pearl Limited unit but we thought the tan interior didn't go well with the dark grey exterior color. The various units on their lot all had something undesirable about their colors or equipment packages, so we looked further at the dealership on the other side of town and saw the car we bought the next day when they were open. We drove only that unit and only for 6 miles before deciding it was just right for us. Desert Sand Mica color tends not to show the dirt and it blends well with the ivory interior and light wood interior accents. Have now put on just under 3K miles and love the Avalon. Have gotten as high as 35 mpg on a road trip. All this because of that magazine cover's picture of the MX-5. It would have been cheaper if I had just spent that day mowing the lawn. Still, we're quite happy with our new Avalon and have kept this car longer than two weeks so it must be for the long haul.

Jim in WI.
  • 06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    Just took delivery of my '06 Indigo Ink Pearl Limited on Saturday. It has graphite interior which looks fantastic. One issue - the navigation can't find my address. When I drive on my street it gives me the next street over's name instead of my street. When I try to plug in my address it doesn't recognize it. Any ideas?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Manually scroll through the map and see if you see your street. If not, you need to wait for the next map disc update.
  • cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know one way or the other if Toyota offers Sirius Satellite radio or not. Their web page said they offered XM and Sirius both. But, dealers say they only offer XM. I would like to have the Sirius because they are offering a one time payment lifetime offer at the moment.

I know I can buy a Sirius radio and stick on my dash but I would rather have one that is factory compatible and plays through the Nav screen...
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    It is a 3/8" square window on the driver's windshield side of the rear view mirror.

Greg
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    How did you get chromed wheels from the dealer? Is this somethign I can ask about for my Limited that is on order?
    Tony