Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    It looks as if one must pay to view the inner parts of this website! Too bad.

That is true. I know I sound like a Toyota salesman, but the price is a bargain, particularly compared to what car manufacturers charge for service manuals. This site is a virtual gold mine of technical information, descriptions of features, technicians training manuals, and theory of operation, for all current Toyota and Lexus models.

I opted for the 30 day subscription, and found it well worth the $50 cost. I am used to paying more than $50 just for a wiring diagrams manual. I downloaded more than 2000 pages of PDF files, and will be reading them for many months to come.

Forum contributors should feel free to ask me to look up answers to specific questions. Private messages can be sent to 'n0v8or at cox dot net' (substitute "@ and .", and eliminate the spaces and quote marks; I wrote it this way to confuse the spamming programs).

The training material for the Prius models is especially interesting.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Right on time to reinforce Deanie's views here are some compelling stats. Worldwide, market shares of German cars are declining while at the same time Toyota is working its plants beyond capacity to try to meet demand. An excerpt and the link:

"Sept. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Volkswagen AG, whose earnings have fallen for three years in a row, plans to introduce five new models at the Frankfurt International Motor Show this week, adding to global overcapacity that's eroding carmakers' profits. ... Volkswagen is operating its Western European factories at 73 percent of capacity. DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes plants in the region, including Smart, are operating at 84 percent. General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. this year have reduced or announced plans to cut North American production in each of the first three quarters. Ford was producing at 86 percent of its plant capacity in North America while GM was last at 85 percent. Toyota Motor Corp. stood at 107 percent. To step up production when demand is strong for models, such as Toyota's Avalon sedan, factories add night or weekend shifts and move past the 100 percent mark."

link title

Building Avalons at such high rate may perhaps account for the occasional defects that owners have reported, but it certainly should be something to keep in mind by anybody considering to buy an Auchie over an Avy.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    My new Avalon Limited came with a factory install of XM radio. It also came with a brochure that advises "...ask your dealer for the special Promtion Code that waives the activation fee and provides complimentary service for a limited time..." No one, and I mean NO one, at my dealer has a clue? When I view the XM Radio Web site there is a field to enter this code... Has anyone been through this drill before? Anybody willing to advise the secret code? Or a source who will give it up... :>)

Mike
    I copied the following message from the priuschat.com forum (posted last week). Maybe it will help you.

" I did not need a promo code. I called 1-800-967-2346 and told them I wanted to activate a new radio. I then told him it was on a new toyota and the dealer told me that I would get free activation and a couple of free months service as a trial. The phone rep typed on the keyboard for a few seconds and said "yep, new toyota gets free activation and 3 free months" and took my name and address and radio code. He did not ask me for a credit card and said I would be notified before the end on my 3 months about how to continue service. "
    See this document for a promotion code that might work.

http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/dealer_portal/toyota.pdf
  • jeffgrizjeffgriz Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if Sirius has a similar promo with Toyota? My 2006 Blizzard White Limited w/ Sirius, Nav, Laser Cruise, and spoiler is coming in this week and the Toyota Dealer didn't seem to sure?
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    A huge thanks to "n0v8or" in specific, and the Edmunds board in general. The info furnished by n0v8or was very accurate. I called the number he furnished for XM Radio Listener Care. Advised that I had purchased a new Toyota and desired waived activation fee and three months free service. She said "no problem, do you have a promo code?..." I replied affirmative and provided the code that was contained in the document that n0v8or had linked to. (That code is as follows: XMTOY2003) That was all I needed, she advised to give it about 30 minutes and all should be good to go. No activation fee and free service until December 13th. Also advised that I would receive a mailer prior to that date to continue the subscription. Whole process took about five minutes, no credit card needed at this stage. They do ask for an e-mail address and ask you to setup a password so you can manage your account online. Thanks again for the tip, now I will educate my dealer in case somebody asks. Kind of got the impression that dealer hasn't sold a lot of XM radio units... :>(

Mike
    I know it seems absurd that Dealers are not more informed. However, we have to realize that dealer employees are, in general, "forward focused" (looking for the next sale) rather than "rearward focused" (looking after a sale already made). Given similar employment circumstances, I think you and I would have the same tendency.

I consider it Toyota's responsibility to ensure customers are given the promotion code. There should have been a nice "promo card" provided to salesman, to hand to you at delivery, on which would be printed the XM activition instructions and code.
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    My wife and I just completed an 1800 mile road trip from Florida to Northern Virginia near Washington, DC. The distance is 800 miles, one way. Our Avalon experience is summarized below.

The Car – 2005 Limited with all factory options. I have used 87 octane since I got the car in April. Before our trip, at 2,500 miles, I had the oil changed to Mobil 1 synthetic. Tire pressure was 33-34 pounds in each tire. Two adults traveled along with lots of luggage.

The Engine – flawless. Smooth and powerful.

The Transmission – I have previously posted (#5377) my experience with the transmission hesitation at low speed. While using the Laser Cruise Control, the transmission dropped into a lower gear when I drove over my first 2 interstate overpasses in Florida. After that, the problem did not repeat with other overpasses. Perhaps the transmission “learned.” When we reached the hills of Virginia the transmission, on a couple of occasions, did downshift while going up hill. Given the number of hills in Virginia, downshifting only a few times wasn’t that annoying.

The Laser Cruise Control – My first experience with this type of cruise control and I would definitely buy it again. It worked so smooth that I would find myself driving slower than planned for miles before I realized that the cruise had slowed down to adapt to the car in front of me. What’s not so smooth is the 5-mile increments that the LCC uses when you want to speed up. The car would downshift every time I wanted to increase my speed using the LCC stalk. With my previous Camry the old fashioned cruise control would change in 1-2 mile per hour increments when you used the CC stalk to speed up or slow down. Moreover, using the LCC, if the overall traffic slowed us to 60 from our CC setting of 68 and then traffic cleared, my car would downshift and accelerate like a dragster to get us back to the cruise control speed of 68.

The Gas Mileage – Highway mileage was 31.3, 32.2, and 31.8. I noticed that the computer screen “cruise range” increased after each tankful. The highest reading was 402 miles. Glancing at the MPG reading occasionally, I noticed the highest individual reading was 34.2. The LCC on this trip was generally set to 68 mph and the AC was on much of the time. There were occasional excursions under 68 mph and up to 75-80 mph when being chased by trucks and other heavy traffic.

The Navigation System – This is my first experience with such a system and I would buy it again. Very useful getting around locally and POIs for rest areas, restaurants, etc. also very useful. With wife as co-pilot it is a disadvantage to have to stop in order to put in a destination.

Some Comments From Others – From a Walmart employee collecting carts in their parking lot, “Hey Man, sharp car!” From a passenger in the rear seat with 2 other adults, “Gee, you have more room in your back seat than I have in my whole car!”

Rewop
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Yes, that's crazy. If they give you everything you need at delivery time, then they don't have to worry as much about being "rearward focused."
    Also, Toyota could make it easier by not requiring you to have a special code. All you should need is a serial number and/or VIN number etc. so they can verify that the free activation and trial service hasn't already been used.
    You can always blast them on the post sale survey.

I think you get free trial of the service regardless of the promotion, but otherwise it is only random rotating channels free instead of all channels free with the promotion.
  • cjponlinecjponline Member Posts: 17
    How is the information organized on the site? Ie, how easy was it to download the "2000 pages of PDF". For example, can you download all Avalon's wiring diagrams. etc?

Thanks
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    My navigation door is messed up too. I had the opportunity to see the console part and navigation door removed from the car. The navation door is really made light duty.these parts don't appear to take much abuse, or any at all. The only thing that could hang up the door are gears on the right side that are messed up. There is a small gear that rolls on a larger gear that allows the door to roll up and down slower than a hing alone. There are also two small hindges on the bottom. If a tooth is missing on one of the gears, they would lock up and not move. The weakest part of this door is there is no adjustment to align the sides or the opening. My dealer tried forcing the door to fit and made no improovement. The service manager finally agreed the only fix is a new door assembly
  • cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    Sirius is offering until Jan 06 a $499 pay once offer. Forget the free three months grab the deal. You can transfer it to three different radios for a fee of $75. I got this from their web site and a phone call to them direct. Even if you keep the car 4 years you just got about 6 free months use of the pay once plan...can beat that.
  • islandavyislandavy Member Posts: 21
    Also Advance Auto has it--mine came in an aerosol can--$3.99. I'd like to know what paper towels are recommended? It seems like half the problem of the hazing is what to remove it with.
  • eljefe1eljefe1 Member Posts: 12
    Got back last week from a trip to Lincoln City Oregon from the Los Angeles area...in my 2005 Limited...

The trip was a little over 2000 miles ( with some city driving in Oregon)...Averaged
    28.6 actual with the gallons (87 octane) used divided into mileage....This is at mostly 79-81 mph on my cruise control...I'm a leadfoot! :blush: and I never turn the air off...

Found this to be very impressive...

I only get around 17.5 around town :cry: but I have a 1300 foot climb everyday on the way home...And I have never found myself holding back on the gas...Always over the speed limit!

Love this car and I drove a 96 lexus 400 and a 2002 acura 3.5rl before this.
  • squatossquatos Member Posts: 26
    Just purchased a 06 toyota avalon. Love the car but, the car drifts to the right going down the highway. I took it to the dealer and realined, rotated tires and could not figure out what the problem was. We test drove another avalon on the lot and it to drifted to the right. The head man drove it and said that his demo that he drove also drifted and thats just the way it is. Dose anyone else have this problem. Is there a fix.
    Ask your dealer to check Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) ST002004, dated Feb 2, 2004,
    for corrective procedures.

It only lists the Solara and Camry as applicable 2005 models, but the Toyota Tech training
    web site indicates it applies to 2004 and 2005 Avalon as well.
  • leinadleinad Member Posts: 32
    thanks for insite...seems this may be a major problem that toyota needs to fix for next year's models....after having my limited back to dealership 3X, I finally picked it up today and seems to be working much better, AFTER installation of a new door so they tell me...Wonder how many times this will need replaced as often as everytime we start the vehicle and need to open this door to accept the safe driving statement.
    :)
  • leinadleinad Member Posts: 32
    When I picked up my limited from service dept today, they were using a product that they sell called INVISIBLE GLASS and it seems to work very well! ;)
    How is the information organized on the site? Ie, how easy was it to download the "2000 pages of PDF". For example, can you download all Avalon's wiring diagrams. etc?

The information is well organized, with a search aid for navigation, though typical document sizes are smaller than optimal for downloading. For example, the "brakes" chapter of the repair manual is 51 pages in length, but divided into 36 separate files, by specific repair topic (caliper, pads, rotors, etc). Many are only a single page. I reassembled them into a single "brakes" document after downloading,

The overall organization is optimized for those with permanent subscriptions who will use the documents "live" as needed, rather than download. Small files with numerous hyperlinks make information navigation fast for a Technician. These hyperlinks no longer work once the documents are downloaded, but the documents provide the chapter number and page so you can find the referenced section yourself.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to become accustomed to the site and learn how to search and download files quickly and methodically.

It took me ~6 hours (via cable modem) total over a two week period to download the 2000-or-so pages devoted to the '05 Avalon, including Technicians training lessons, and Shockwave training movies. I ended up with 50 folders, 850 PDF files, for a grand total of 116MB. I probably could have done it in one marathon night session, but it would be tiring.

The overall wiring diagram is a single 61-page, 1.07MB file. There are separate, more detailed, full color schematics for every Avalon function (77 of them, ~5.5MB total).

All files except the movies are PDF.
  • ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    According to Edmunds and Toyota this is an option..

But on the Toyota Site is is not an available option in "Configure my toyota"

Has anyone seen this option on an XL? How about without a Moonroof and this option? Where?
    Thanks, nOv8or, if you catch my drift...
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I have a question. Is the Awell backup sensor the same thing as the Park Pilot that comes as an option on the Avalons? If not, then what exactly is the Park Pilot? That was on one of the cars I test drove and the salesman backed the car up REALLY close to another car to show me how it worked, but nothing happened, no beeps or anything. So what does the Park Pilot do? I would like to have something that beeps when I back up close to something, but I sure can't install the Awell system and am wondering if the dealer would charge me an arm and a leg to do it or even if they WOULD do it.
  • billygatorbillygator Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what makes it an "acoustic noise-reducing" front windshield? Is this a material difference, or a design detail? :confuse:

My acoustic noise reducing windshield got a chip on my first significant road trip, and I only remember one minor tick from something off of the road.

Thanks,

Bill
    lnt,

I just Googled "park pilot" and from the description in

link title

it appears to be a basically similar system to Awell's, although clunkier looking. Same principle.

Dealers install comparable ultrasonic sensor systems, if this route is your best option. Before I installed the Awell system I had a quote from my Toyota dealer to install the system that they install in Siennas. I don't recall being told a brand name but the functionality was similar. It would have cost me about 5 times what the Awell sold for.

havalongavalon
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    This subject has been discussed many times in this forum. Please enlighten all of us, if you know, as to the published solution from Toyota. Many are curious about the presumed cause and would like to know what the TSB says. Thanks. :)
    Thanks! I'll talk to my service manager about it. He has been very open and honest with me on other things - I think.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    $499 Sirius plan.. Don't forget that in 4 years, your $499 invested at 5% would be worth over $600 with compounding. And you better hope Sirius doesn't go out of business within those 4 years.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Not all options are available in all regions. See your local dealer so they can "preference" a vehicle for you.
    Mackabee :)
    This subject has been discussed many times in this forum. Please enlighten all of us, if you know, as to the published solution from Toyota. Many are curious about the presumed cause and would like to know what the TSB says. Thanks

The TSB is in the form of “action-result-consequential action” flowcharts, and several pages in length, so I will attempt to simplify/paraphrase here:

The first step is to check tire pressures, alignment, left/right vehicle height, and test for brake drag. Remedy any problems found. Assuming all these are OK, and pull/drift still exists, go to (2).

(2) Switch the left and front wheel/tires to see if the pull gets better, worse, or changes from right to left (or vice-versa). If the pull becomes stronger, remove one front tire from its wheel, reverse it and remount, otherwise go to (3). If pull/drift still exists after reversing a tire per the flowchart, go to (3).

(3) Adjust the suspension to introduce differential camber (1 degree maximum) between the two sides. Do not exceed the allowed camber adjustment range. If pull/drift is not corrected, go to (4).

(4) Remove and disassemble the front strut assemblies and rotate the left and right springs and spring seats in the same direction (depends on if the pull is left or right), then assemble and re-install. There are marks on the seats for guidance. The TSB has 2 pages that show how to perform this step. Replace the springs if the pull/drift still exists.
    Where would I find the Toyota tech training web site as it referes to the avalon being included in the solving of the drifting problem in the travel of the car.
    Where would I find the Toyota tech training web site as it referes to the avalon being included in the solving of the drifting problem in the travel of the car?

See previous messages #8626, #8648, and #8655 for a description.
    When searching the TSB section on this site, select 2005 Avalon first, otherwise the returned list will be long and include TSBs unrelated to this model.
    The last time I ran this search, 22 TSBs were listed.

The content of this TSB is essentially identical to similar pulll/drift troubleshooting procedures described in the Suspension chapter of the 05 Avalon repair manual. Only step (4) is new.
  • mikeormikeor Member Posts: 2
    I read your comments with interest. I just bought a XLS and it has the park assist and I can't hear it even with the radio off .What other comments did you receive about this problem. So far the dealer just saying thats too bad and sorry that spent the money on the option. There is nothing they can do .
    mikeor,

This dealer response doesn't make any sense and I would not accept it. When a dealer installs an accessory for a high price, they generally provide a certain guarantee on the device, their installation and its long-term functionality.

Can you hear the buzzer when you stand behind the car with the trunk open? If not, the system is not working. If you can hear it, but not from inside the cabin, then they installed the buzzer in a poor location.

I suggest that you ask the dealer where exactly did they place the buzzer. There are some good and some not so good places. Search this discussion for early posts by johni and havalongavalon discussing two alternative buzzer locations inside the trunk under the rear shelf. I posted photos at the time showing a good location near a rectangular hole, from which sounds carries well into the cabin. More recently n0v8or installed his buzzer on the door pillar as I recall, close to his left ear. For the price you paid, your dealer should be willing to move the buzzer to a better location so that the sound can be easily heard.

Good luck!

havalongavalon
  • mikeormikeor Member Posts: 2
    Havalongavalon..My unit came with the car . I believe it was put on by Gulf States the local distributor in our area. I am not real sure of who supplied the parts to them. Any idea who supplies Toyota? Thanks for your comments.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Thank you, *n0v8or*, for the summary in post #8684 of the TSB about the drifting problem in some cars. It appears that Toyota deals with it in a very logical manner. Forum members who have new Avalons that drift for no obvious reason are now able to stand toe-to-toe with the service dept. people who love to say, "it must be a road crown, or, gravity..or...look, they ALL do it". Nonsense. Fix the problem. Thanks again.
    We really didn't discuss it further. He was driving and I was outside motioning him to come on back and he chickened out - guess he didn't trust me. Anyway, I directed him to within about a foot of the other car and we didn't hear anything. I wasn't going to buy that particular car anyway, so it didn't concern me at that time. He was a new young salesman and didn't know too much about the car. I knew more about it than he did from what I had read on here. I didn't think I needed it, but this car is so much longer than my 2000 that I regret not getting some type of back up sensor. Would like to have the camera.
  • tony17tony17 Member Posts: 6
    Just a heads up. Awell will not send me a power cord with fuse until I return the one without the fuse and I'm responsible for the return shipping . This is their mistake but at this point I have little choice. Not exactly what I would call good customer service.

Regards,

Tony
    Tony,

Sorry to hear. I agree that since it was Awell's omission, they should pay for return shipping of the faulty unit. I didn't have any issues with Awell, on the contrary I was impressed by their effort at scheduling a reasonably priced international shipper. Cwell Leung provided helpful support by email, perhaps you could contact him at marketdivision@awellmarket.com.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
    I don't know, sorry. When I bought my car the Toyota sales manager showed me a brochure on the aftermarket parking sensors that they installed in Siennas, but the cost was high so I passed on it. Toyota may use more than one aftermarket supplier, as well.

havalongavalon
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    I have the Michelin Tires (2006 Avalon Limited)

Am I the only one who finds the road noise in these cars to be terrible and far more than the previous 2000 year series? I have set the tires to the correct 32 lbs (cold) but the road noise is bad. They came with 40psi (why) ?

Any suggestions? Between the front seats and the road noise I am sorry I bought this car.
    Thanks for any comments
  • rdlong47rdlong47 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 06 Blizzard Limited and am thinking about getting the windows tinted. I have heard that the best window tint has metallic flakes or something, but the metallic may interfere with radio signals or the smart key signals. Can some of you shed some light on this so I don't buy some line of baloney from a window tinting firm and end up with a problem?

Thanks
    Ron
  • fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    I have the Ltd too with the Michelin tired. I think the amount of road noise really depends on the type of road you're on. On most of the freeway here in the DC area, there is minimal road noise except on bridges (where the road is a white / tan color). I've got comments from friends in the car once while driving from DC to the Shenandoah national park (roughly 90 minutes each way) that they couldn't even tell we were going at 60 mph.

For the record, I owned a 2001 Avalon XLS before this, and I find the road noise to be very acceptable.
  • regisregis Member Posts: 94
    This is my third Avalon XLS. (1996, 2000 & now 2006). The 2006 is every bit as quiet as the others other than a sweet rumble from the exhaust under heavy acceleration (which I like).
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    I also have a 2000 Avalon XLS, with Michelin tires, and a 2005 Avalon Limited with Michelin tires. In both cases I find the tire road noise is no problem, and the new one is no noisier than the old one. I do find the new tires, with a lower profile, have a slightly harsher ride, but no big deal.

I initially thought the 2005 Limited seats were a bit less comfortable than the 2000 seats. I have since taken the new one on very long road trips (700 miles in one day), and the seat comfort was never an issue. In fact, the new seat is probably a bit more supportive and comfortable for an all day drive.

Max
    My dealer has the (TSB) ST002004 ,but that it does not mention that it applies to avalon. You say that the Toyota Tech training web site does mention avalon. I would like to know where on this web site exactly does it mention avalons drifting problem and that (TSB) TS002004 applies to the avalon also. The dealer says without a (TSB) on avalon drifting problem they will not fix it. I would love to go and say, here fix it,but i need this information...HELP!
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I also had a problem with tire noise and I had the Bridgestone EL400's. Toyota wouldn't do anything for me except tell me that the tires complied with NHTSA requirements - duh, and told me to go away. :mad:
    The problem is that there are very few manufacturers who make a tire in the stock size of 215/55-V17.
    I replaced my tires with Bridgestone Turanza LSV in 225/55-V17 and they are VERY quiet. The only downside is that the 225 tire is a little larger in diameter than the OEM, and the spare does not fit in the trunkwell when fully inflated, so I keep a portable inflator with me. Your may want to keep one Michelin as the spare. Discount Tire will give you a partial credit on your Michelins toward something else. If you change tires you must do a balance using the Hunter 9700 Road Force. Discount Tire were the only tire dealer who managed to balance my tires!!!! I recommend Discount. :D
    If Discount don't have the Bridgestones, go to a corporate Bridgestone store and ask if they will give you the 4 for the price of 3 deal. They were running this promo a while back, and after they install them, if they are not balanced, take them to Discount to balance using the Hunter 9700. Bridgestone couldn't balance mine after 3 attempts...
    I have Bridgestone Turanza LSH on my 2002 Avalon (quiet), and Turanza LST on my wide's Sienna (quiet) and I had the Turanza Revo Z's on my old LS400. Now my new Avalon rides just as quietly as the 2002. The only quiet riding Bridgetones are the Turanza LS series.... forget about anything else they make. Check out the Turanza LS reviews on http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+LS-V
    50 year old .With 280 hp I would of bought this car at 18.
  • chodiechodie Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased my third avalon. Model year 2006. I am concerned about door dings. The 2006 Lexus GS 300 has a bumper of some type located on the door sills. Any body tried to install these on a 2006 Avalon? :):)
  • hoop43hoop43 Member Posts: 11
    Just a passing thought -

A 235/50 size tire would have been closer to the original size and would fit into the trunk well. The down side is it appears to only be available in 'Z' rating (LSZ) and is $50 per tire more.