Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    The link for the unveiling of the 2005 is on toyota.com. The live event is to take place Monday the 10th at 10:30PST. Maybe they will tell us when to expect it to be in the dealerships. The latest information that I have is some time next month.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    A few of my local dealers are telling me they will have their first Limiteds on 1/15, but of course they're all sold...
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    What they did for you is known as an FRS change. We do this often. As long and I repeat, as long as the options you want are offered on the trim level of the car you want it can be done. This is nothing special as opposed to a special order vehicle which requires an act of Toyota congress to be built. Let me explain. Say you want an 2004 Avalon XLS with no leather and no moonroof. These are options correct? the brochure and source book say they are. But alas you go to every Toyota dealer in your area and there are none to be found without leather and moonroof. So you decide to "special order" your vehicle after being told that it will take 3-6 months to get (usually 3 months) that is IF the factory decides to build it. They have already scheduled production for the next month of nothing but loaded XLS Avalons and only have the parts for that certain amount of Avalons at the factory ready to begin production. Now in comes a "special order" of a car without leather and no roof. What's the plant manager going to do? In my 8 plus years selling Toyotas I've done 4 or 5 special orders and they are no fun. The first one was for a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 5spd which when we finally got it in arrived as a 1998 Tacoma and one of the options the customer wanted was no longer offered for 1998 so we had to make a "concession" to the customer to keep them happy. The next one was also a Tacoma which if I'm not mistaken happened to be the last V6 equipped 2wd extended cab built in the US. Color was Cool Steel metallic, had power windows and door locks, etc, and that one also took 3 months to get in and then the customer wanted to negotiate some more after the truck arrived. Another one was for a 4runner Limited in the Autumn Bronze metallic color which besides that one I have only seen one other and that one had Florida plates. The customer got tired of waiting and ended up buying a Sunfire red pearl in stock. A week after her purchase the truck came in. She wanted to trade the red one in but I convinced her not to as she would probably lose bit of money. (She's one of my regular customers, later traded in the 4runner on an Avalon, then traded the Avalon in on the new 4runner) Now let's get back to your special order Avalon. After waiting 3 months your car finally arrives at the dealership. You get a call from your trusty salesperson (if he's still at that dealership!) to let you know the car is there. (After all, he/she doesn't get paid until the car is burning gas). You go in and pick up your new baby. Two or three years later you fall in love with the latest offering from (fill in the blank) and decide to trade your special order car. Well since this is an XLS "strippy" as we call these pups. Not one dealer wants to take it in as trade as it's an oddball car and will probably sit on the lot forever before someone falls in love with it. Now back to reality. What is it that you don't want on this car? It's always puzzled me why someone would want a top of the line vehicle and not want the goodies that come with it. It's like getting a steak with no baked potato, no salad, no drink, and no dessert.

; )

Mackabee
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I am interested in the new avalon, it looks very nice. But, I wonder about the price point. Overall, the car seems to offer about what you get with a Lexus ES330, and I've seen on the lexus board that those are selling for about $32k in well equiped form. Unless the Avalon offers more for, say, $3-4k less, why go with a non-premium brand with a lesser warranty, less "prestige", and w/o the great service Lexus owners rave about?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    But what about when somebody wants a vehicle that just doesnt seem to come equipped with the options he/she wants, which are MORE than the norm. For example, what about getting a Camry SE 4 cylinder 5A with Premium Pkg, VSC, and Side Curtains. I've never seen one like this, though its the Camry I'd want at this stage of the game. Not all special orders are "strippy" models.

~alpha
    Mackabee,

Why do people not want all the "goodies" on a top of the line car?

Well let's face it, they put way more into a car than some people want or need. Why should we pay for it? My purpose is to buy a car that suits my needs and makes me feel good, not pad the saleman's retirement account and the manufacturer's profit margin.

Example:

I don't want a sunroof, I don't like the glare or the heat, and usually I'm on the phone or listening to the radio, an open sunroof is just wind noise to me. Yet, most of the top of the line models have one, and it's usually an extra $900 I could spend someplace else.

Now, just because it may be more difficult for you to sell a car without a sunroof isn't really my problem is it? By the time I trade that car in it will be beat into the ground and the lack of a sunroof or other option will be the least of your concerns, you'll just want to be rid of the car at that point.

I also don't want an XM/Sirius radio, thus, I'm not going to pay the extra $325 for one installed, I'd rather buy an I-pod instead.

The whole point of this is about purpose, it's about what we the consumer wants, not what you the salesman wants.........What's your purpose in that endeavor?
    Alpha, read the first two sentences again.

: )

Bluesman3, you missed the whole point entirely. I don't care what you want to buy. It's my job to sell what is on the lot or available from the factory. It has nothing to do with "padding my retirement account" (boy, that's a good one!)or what I want. The whole point of my illustration was that if the options are available on the trim level of the car you want from Toyota, then it can be built. You can't pick and choose options from an XLS to be put into an XL, or Camry, pick the model. If Toyota doesn't offer what you want then go elsewhere. That's the great thing about living in this country. We have plenty of choices.

Mackabee
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Proof positive that big wheels and tint can add style to a very conservative design.

It passes for an "executive saloon", and not a "Japanese Buick".

DrFill
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    You can place a special order for any Toyota, import or domestic built, except for Prius and Sienna. It usually takes about 3 months and as was said before, you can order anything you want as long as its listed as available for that particular model.
    Actually, you can order a Sienna and a Prius also. Try getting a Prius though, that's a different story.

Mackabee
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I am curious as to how "leaked info" in this forum compares to what Toyota has told you guys. Have heard zip from dealer where we got our Sienna re the Avalon, although my name is "#1" on their call list (post-January 10th I guess). Have you been FYI-ing any of your non-computer literate customers?

I anticipate paying a courtesy call to my Sienna dealer when Avalons are officially for sale, but if (as I expect) they squat at MSRP, I will come and see you. I would think some "give" is in there for a deal on a maxed-out Avalon Limited (including nav and adaptive cruise control) and remote start (factory installed?), plus dealer profit on 72/100K Toyota platinum extended warranty and dealer cut on Toyota financing. Must also leave off pinstripes and other "packs" and any dealer logo. Who wants the deal the most? Have appreciated your straight talk. :-)
    Sharp. Interestingly, post #877 of this forum has been deleted.... it contained this and several other photos of the new Avalon. Im guessing edmunds.com was afraid of embargo restrictions; there was a big article in the WSJ today about how upset the automakers are about the advent of the web and spy shots....

~alpha
    Well Doc, you'd be surprised what we have to go through and why customers know more about the vehicles sometimes then we do. Usually the "factory reps" or more like "distributor reps" go from dealer to dealer doing "in house" training on a new model before the car gets to the dealer. Back in 2000 when the redesigned Celica, the Echo, and the Mr2 Spyder were released I asked one of the reps why we were getting the cars and then a month later we were having the training on them. He replied that that's the way we wanted it. Funny, because nobody asked me. Anyway, info on new models is kept pretty tight. We get our info the same way you do. Spy shots, erronous magazine articles and so forth. The real information comes out a few weeks before the cars actually arrive at the dealer. Actual pricing will probably be out about a week before the car hits ground.

Mackabee
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    We took delivery of one of the first Solara convertibles this past March. If I recall correctly, Job 1 rolled February 26, ours was built on March 16 and was delivered to the dealer shortly after. As far as info, I have a very good relationship with the dealer and he kept me posted with any and all info when he had it..needless to say there was more info "leaked" on the net then what was officially presented to him via Toyota.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I'm not sure it has anything to do with an embargo unless you are posting a photo without a URL link. I have been advised by the host of another board that it is okay to link to another message board provided the intent was to view published photos - articles etc. without viewing the written posted contents of members of that message board. That is cause for deletion, if I understood her correctly!
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Just read the WSJ article (1/7/05) at the library. The central example was GM's desire to launch the 2006 super-Corvette at the Detroit Auto Show, the same one the new Avalon will be launched at. They mentioned GM had a 9 November 2004 "media day", at which they released photos, etc. with the restriction that nothing would be published prior to January 10th. If somebody cheated, though, Automotive magazine said "we won't be first, but we won't be third,either." While in the library I checked the February issues of Car&Driver and Motor Trend--both had big articles on the Corvette! The Avalon is in a media backwater by comparison, but our little group has done a pretty good job of getting out the good stuff!
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Very nice pics. The new Avalon is looking sweeter everytime a new picture of it is posted!
    Gotcha, thanks for the post, you cleared things up for me.

~alpha
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know how much horsepower and torqe that the 2006 avalon will have?
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    Reposting the "spy" specs for dodge and everyone else who missed it earlier in the thread:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/dealers/vehicles/2005-Avalon/index- .htm

Incidentally, the new Avalon will be known as 2005, not 2006. The oficial specs will probably be posted shortly after Mon, Jan 10, after the Avalon introduction at the Detroit show.
    It's a 2005.

Reported to be:

280 hp

260 ft./lbs.

MPG:

22 city

30 hwy.

Very good numbers indeed! Now if they can only report having the throttle and shift response issues resolved.......
    What do you think the 0 to 60 might be i think in the rang from 6.5 sec to 7.5 sec alot better that the current model.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    You guys really worry about the hesitation...

Let me tell you. My Sienna when it was brand new had the hesitation. Very minor but it was there. Fortunately now, 1260 miles on it, it is smooth as butter with no hesitation what so ever.

I guess it was the computer taking it's time to figure the driving pattern.
  • coug2coug2 Member Posts: 34
    I think the hesitation is something to worry about...check out the es330 forum and the number of folks that are really frustrated...

Nonetheless, pretty excited to see, touch, drive a real one - Tomorrow should be a big day...
    when does the 2005 avalon arive in dealers?
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    they should arrive in the next 2-4 weeks (according to a rumor, some dealers may have them as early as next week).

live introduction of the 2005 Toyota Avalon will happen tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. PST / 01:30 p.m. EST

http://www.toyota.com/

http://autoshow.msn.com/as/default.aspx?shw=autoshow2005
    I have (2) dealers in my area saying they will have an 05' Avalon Limited on 1/15. I'd check in your area for similar info.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    I can't wait for the actual car to be unveiled. You can bet that I will be watching it live!
    One of my friends sells toyotas and he actually got to sit in it he said its alot nicer then the current model it has push button start and alot more hi tech features,he dident get to drive it he just got to play with the controls he got to take some pics but he said that i cant put them up sorry.

If there is any que just ask he told me alot about it
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    like the Prius? Does it have Bluetooth?
    No the prius dosent but you can probably get it installed by the dealer

are you looking for a hybrid?

i know a great car if you are
    Yes, same push button start like the Prius, just not a hybrid....Yet. You can see the thinking in moving that direction though......
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    There is a new forum to specifically discuss the hesitation problem that can be found at "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)"

This problem seems to cross over several models (some heated discussion at the Highlander Problems and Solutions was the reason for the new forum) so it may be helpful to share experiences/solutions in a single forum.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/index.html?s_van=http://www.toyota.com/html/redirects/home/avalon_img_live.html&ref=http://www.toyota.com/

It will debut at 10:30 am PST or 1:30 pm EST.
    Here's a little tidbit I just found. The front armrest cover slides forward and back about 4.7 inches.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I like it. The price and features on the Touring seem good, at least for what I may be interested in, if they show up at the dealers as described. I look forward to seeing the actual car, and real street prices.
  • sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    does anybody know if this car has LED tail lights?
    Well Houston we have a problem...

Nice car but why no seat heater, traction or stability control on the Touring!?!?!? At least make it an available option....I thought this was supposed to be the sport model! I can go buy a Buick Lacrosse CXS for the same money and get these goodies.....

I guess I gotta wait for the 2006 ES 350.

Deeply disappointed,
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I think they missed the boat on the Touring model. They should have (and maybe they still will) make the items you mentioned either standard or at least as options. They priced it over $2,000 less than the XLS. I think they should have offered these items and priced it very close to the XLS.

It appears the XL is truly a bargain, and the XLS and even the Limited are priced less than I expected. But .... I just don't understand what they did with the Touring at all.
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Is the ES 350 going to happen that soon? Figured the next version would be a 2007 at the earliest. Strongly considering the ES 330 after seeing the new Avalon. Nice, big car, but I'm not overly wowed.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    the next gen ES 350 will be a 2007 model (along with the next gen Camry) and is still at least 15-20 months away,

We don't need seat heaters but we do want VSC ! That should be a option on the touring.
  • preachpreach Member Posts: 7
    I believe that Toyota has a limited view in terms of who this car will attract. When introducing this car they said that they expect it to appeal to an older customer. What about taller customers that do not want to spend 60k for a near luxury car with leg room(front and rear). I am in my early forties and I have three daughters in college and I want a very nice vehicle that will not compromise my ability to pay for college. The new Avalon appears to be the vehicle. I felt like an old timer when they were describing the car. I truly think they will miss the mark in there marketing if they persist with the "mature appeal" of the new avalon.
    Don't buy the car because of the marketing hype, buy it because you like how it fits your wants and needs.
    Everything I've seen shows the new ES coming out in the spring of 2006.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100820

Should be this time next year we see the unveiling.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    But I question why all 5 Toyota SUVs, including $16k RAV4s have VSC and TRAC, but it is so hard to get on Toyotas Flagship.

I wouldn't let this fact alone mar a great advance in their line-up. This car looks like a great success! But nobody's perfect.

It could be a Maxima.

DrFill
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    The Max SL has heated front seats! I am a bit disappointed with the way the Av is equipped.