Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    I'll bet that if you actually calculate your fuel mileage at fill-up, you'll find that it is a bit less than what registers on your trip computer. The computer is only an approximation. Mine typically registers about .8 to 1.5 mpg higher than actual.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    jayvis-
    bet if you check your odometers you will find that they read 3-4% low - 100 actual miles driven is 96-97 miles on the odometers. If you add back for the odometer error, the computer mpg should be right on. I have checked this several times over long stints with highway mileage markers.The speedo and computer mpg are both very close, only the odos are off for some reason.
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    I don't have a Ciera. It's an 88 -- same as a LeSabre, basically. It weighs about 3600 lbs. Nearly exact dimensions as the Avalon. As to following post, no, my trust old Olds won't do a quarter in 100 (but neither will the Avalon...look again at road tests -- try high 6s or 7 flat in 0-60) but it will run 185,000 without ever doing any engine work -- and it will run 0-60 at 8 flat all day long, which is still pretty good. Yes, DOHC engines can run higher peak HP, but, um, there is that timing chain/belt issue. Under "normal" maintenance I recently spent over a grand on my Camry's valvetrain, and that was with only 60,000 miles on it. It'll take three of those 'normal' repairs to make it to 180,000. Good luck getting high mileage out of the Avalon engine without higher maintenance costs. I chuckle at all the 'expert' opinion out there on these forums about engine design. Valvetrains all have their pluses and minuses -- I was once a motorcycle mechanic in my non-gray-haired years, so I know, and love, a high reving engine. But for passenger cars GM's pushrod driven valves are awesome for their dependiblity and mpg. Not trying to be naysayer to folks....course, I haven't seen to many of the 55+ drivers I see in Avalons doing burnouts :)
  • tfranktfrank Member Posts: 4
    lbs1,

"Also--I have been reading reviews of the '05 Nav system in the Avalon called a JBL- owners love it and talk about, being able to set destinaations while driving."

I was wondering which forums you read which stated that you can set destinations while driving in the 05 Avalon? I have been working on getting the override code from my dealership, but it hasn't been easy. It would be nice if I could find people who have actually been able to do it. Thanks in advance!
    reference: C&D $30k sedan comparo from July: 6.0 and 14.6 @99 mph - you need to do your research! Admittedly, abusing the car because most tested times have been in the 6.5/94 mph range - however, not any more so than trying to get 8 seconds out of your 88. Horsepower is horsepower, torque is torque and while I can't find specs on a 10 year old Oldsmobile I would venture to guess that it is almost 100 short in HP and likely 30 ft/lbs. short. Agree that DOHC high performance engines should require more maintainence, there is less to go wrong compared to that cast iron block, pushrod engine in those GM products of that era. The 3.8 is being phased out, incidentally, and replaced by a new 3.5 that is currently in the LaCrosse, Impala and others. Guess GM must be finally seeing the light, it is a slightly less sophisticated version of what is in the Av and several other cars, a DOHC engine with variable valve timing. And that GM reliability is legendary when compared to mere Toyotas/Hondas/Nissans, I guess?
    Haven't seen too many 88's (or any GM products this side of a Vette/GTO) doing burnouts either - but at least I have a car that can do it!
    taking my own admonitions - the 88 was manufactured thru 1989 and had at that time a 3.8L, 165hp. Then reappeared in 95 (which is I guess what you must have) with the 'same' engine now rated at 205 hp at 1000 more rpm (5200). The toyota engine 268 or 280 horse at 6200. Torque numbers closer, as I would have suspected, closer at 230 vs. 260. So we're talking about 60+ hp and 30 ft/lbs. But, as you apparently know, the old style pushrod engines flatten out significantly at higher rpm - the VVT/OHC engines pull happily well past the the 5000 rpm that your 3.8 doesn't like. If the 205 horse is right, however, you should be able to get your 3600 lbs. to 60 in 8 something.
    Stand corrected, might have bet the farm on numbers over 10.
  • 05avforum05avforum Member Posts: 25
    Yes, the Ice Link Plus does work on the Avalon. As I stated earlier on this forum, I ordered one directly from Dension. They are still in the beta phase for the Toyota unit. My understanding is that it's fully functional in certain Toyotas, but not all. For example, in my Avalon, with NAV, and upgraded JBL, it works with the iPod in "UI" mode. This is not the full control mode, as mentioned by 3puttmax, where the ice link fully controls the ipod and allows you to select between certain playlists and album play mode (this is where you can define a key on the radio to tell the ipod to play the entire album associated with the currently playing song).

In "UI" mode, however, you still have control over the iPod menus, etc. I am still able to use the car controls to skip to the next song, skip through the song (FF) and of course volume. Unfortunately, on screen text does not work in this mode. I also have to manually turn the ipod on and off. The iPod does charge through the ice link.

My understanding is that full control mode does work on the Avalon without NAV(including on-screen text), with their latest release of firmware. The firmware can be updated through the ipod (I believe by simply playing a specially formatted mp3 file).

In any case, they are working on it and I've been assured that it will work in the Avalon with Nav with a future update. Currently, the CD player does not work at all with the ice link attached. Although, this may be fixed as well.

In general, I think the Dension product is very high quality and have confidence they will fix the bugs. Even with the current limitations, I still have full access to the iPod in my Avalon, it responds to steering wheel contols, and it sounds great with the JBL system.

Stay tuned for updates.
  • vicmvicm Member Posts: 18
    Several weeks ago I posted about a low whine or hum coming from the engine when accelerating. I took it to my dealer to have it checked and to tighten the fog lights. After two and a half hours the fog lights were tightened. the tech said he couldn't hear the whine. I then took him out for a test drive, and he did hear what I was complaining about. Said he wasn't that familiar with the A/C and had a lead tech check it out. The verdict: its normal for the compressor to sound like that. After spending 3 hours I was tired and just left. I have owned over 12 new cars in my lifetime and have never heard a compressor sound like this.
    Am I just nitpicking or has anyone else had this problem. Once the A/C is turned off it is a nice quiet vehicle. But living in Florida make turning the A/C off not a solution. Any suggestions.....
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Yes, the Ice Link Plus does work on the Avalon

05avforum -

Thanks so much for the detailed update on the IceLink. Great to hear from someone who actually has it working. Did you install it yourself? Can you describe how it connects to the radio - any special cables involved? Where did you put the iPod mount cradle? I assume you have to use playlists to access your music? I gather that just removing the iPod from the cradle does not restore CD changer functionality?

So many questions .... Thanks for any details.

Max
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    IMHO
    it's the value of the torque curves that matters. The 3800 puts out a relatively high torque compared to its peak of 220 at about 1500 or 1800 rpm. That gives it a good hard pull up through the normal useage range. It may not have the higher horsepower output at higher rpms but it's a "strong" engine for its size and its ability to get great gas mileage. It gives 32-33 at 70 cruising through KY and TN with 3 adults and trunk full of luggage. It gives 31 at 80 same place. It gives 38 to 41 on level country highway for 15 miles through 1 village and a stop sign to home if I stay at 55 and I'm gentle. Overall is 24 in suburban driving (my wife's average is 22).

I would guess the 0-60 at 8 or 8.5. It surprises me when I occasionally kick it at 15 or 20 to move out. I imagine a new Avalon would surprise me even more! This comment is only for the purpose of engine comparison and not negative toward the Toyota motor. I'm not surprised at the screen shots of great mileage if you gently drive the car especially with VVT if I recall to maximize the motor at each cruise speed.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tdxtdx Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the useful information. The Toyota version is out, I saw it at Best Buy yesterday. Salesperson didn't even know they had them.

Can you tell me how the unit connects to the JBL system? I pulled the head unit and I didn't see any available ports. I was hoping I could use the tape unit connection instead of the CD since I don't think I'll ever use a tape. Also, have you found a good place to mount the iPod? I have one in my Sequoia but there's all kind of places to mount it there. I haven't found a good location in my Avalon yet. Again, thanks for the information.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Some of the reasons I like the Av is that it has loads of room, a nice dash layout, plenty of power, and still gets decent mpg. It seems you guys average about 28 mpg when cruising at a constant speed on the hwy. In my 2000 300M, my best mpg was on a 100 mile trip on a relatively flat highway going about 65 mph without the ac on. Tires were at my usual 34 psi. I got an outstanding 31.1 mpg and it included about 15 miles of of hway driving at 40mph with 2 or 3 stop lights. With AC on, I would get about 28.5 on the same trip. So to save gas, don't use the ac unless you really need it. The M weighs about the same as the Av and is very similar in size. The AV has a better 0 to 60 times probably due to the 5 speed compared to the M's 4 speed, , but my M could fly from say 30 to 80 in a pinch. I just bought an 02 300M Special, so I won't be buying an Av anytime soon but will follow this thread and any improvements Toyota makes to the Av as it may be my next car purchase in 2 or 3 years. Then again, if gas it at $6 a gallon, I may consider a Camry SE hybrid. :)
    Ahhh, captain2, nice to see you do your homework. I respect that. No harm taken -- I love all things mechanical, and Toyota does an excellent job in that respect. However, my point is that plenty of other manufacturers do an equally good job -- and in some respects better job -- at making things move along the earth. Everything has its pluses and minuses (unless it's a Trabant). GM is too often badmouthed for their mechanicals, and in my experience I'd put GM engineering along with Honda and Toyota as the best in the world of the reasonability priced bunch. I added this post because I think too many Toyota owners think they discovered the wheel because they get decent mileage and they overlook the negative (such as camchain replacement). On the other hand, because GM is having financial troubles it's easy to pile on the abuse. I've owned products from both GM and Toyota, I'd put them neck and neck, but good luck getting the general public (or the media) or believe that.
    Anyway, the Avalon is a nice car. I like a big rocketship sedan. Just don't be too shocked when you see an Oldsmobile coming past you in the desert at 100+ mph!
    ---- Haven't seen too many 88's (or any GM products this side of a Vette/GTO) doing burnouts either - but at least I have a car that can do it!

Just have to say: I recommend you take one of those "old fashioned" 3.8s out for a test drive. I can still leave a good 15 feet of rubber with my tired Oldsmobile -- a fact that aggravates my wife to no end. And as far as burnouts: try a new Grand Prix or an Impala with the 5.3 V8. It'll smoke the front tires for a looooong way. Torque down low is the way launch off the line....
    consider the Av engine Toyota's first real effort at a high performance engine - now making its appearance in the Lexus IS at 300 hp, and soon apparently in an ES350. This engine is really what makes this car what is hasn't been in the past - a car with some spunk and personality!
    The jury is still out on this engine, of course, but if it may be what Nissan has had for years with its VG35 series V6s, the best V6 in the industry! Sounds like Splasterhound had some valve,head, or cylinder damage due to a broken timing belt on a Camry. Timing belts - not a good idea - anything that crtical that should be replaced on 50k mile intervals is a bad design. To my knowledge, all the mainstream manufacturers have experimented and/or are using them. Timing chains are common to the Av V6, the Nissan V6, as well as most those pushrod 'American' V6s and 8s- and certainly a better approach.
    Point well taken on the character of the torque curve and how it effects drivability in 'normal' rpm ranges. The VVT engines will,however, provide a greater efficiency at all rpm because it does adjust valve opening durations around engine speed and load. That swift kick in the butt the Av engine produces at about 4000 rpm and the fact that it will willingly continues to pull like that past 6000 is amazing (and a lot of fun). In my mind, the American manufacturers are well behind the curve in engine technologies - having produced 'lazy' low rpm, relatively high torque, comparatively rough running, iron horse engines ever since I can remember. The newer Gm/Chrysler/Ford V6s in this size category are just beginning to 'experiment' with VVT even in the ones that still have pushrods - the 3.8 (as we now know it) will soon be history, competition will make sure of that.
  • 05avforum05avforum Member Posts: 25
    Yes, I installed it myself. It was very easy. However, I did use the instructions for the XM sat (posted earlier on this forum). This shows exactly what trim you have to remove to get to the head unit. The ice link comes with all of the cables you need. It comes with two cables that (for the Avalon), you connect together to form a single cable. Then you unplug the cable from the back on the head unit and plug it into the ice link cable. Finally you connect the other end of the ice link cable to the head unit. I routed the cable to the glove box, where I put my ipod. Dension has a choice of either a cable or a cradle. I chose the cable, so I could put the ipod in the glove box, completely out of sight. Finally, the way it works now, as long as the ice link is connected (it does not matter whether the ipod is connected or not), the CD does not function. Since my entire music collection is on my ipod, this does not matter to me much. However, it would have been nice to have the CD functional for the occasions when you want to listen to a new CD that is not yet on the ipod.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Not to interrupt anyone thoughts on acceleration...but...if you can make torque in a gasoline engine at higher rpm's you can take better advantage of transmission and final drive gear ratios. Low rpm works (as in an electric motor) but higher rpm gives greater flexibility in most applications. It's really the 5 speed and the high rpm torque delivery that let the Avalon hit those 0 to 60 and the 1/4 mile times.
    had a 3.8 in a late 80's Buick for about a year which I guess is why I remember that engine as being so unremarkable. - but why is it that our wives lose their sense of humor as the years go by?
    I'd have a lot more respect for Detroit's usual answer (displacement) to hp issues if they had taken that 303 hp in the GP and the SS and routed it thru the correct set of wheels - would be willing to bet as FWD that they are a torque steering handfuls. Have the same issue with the Av, although the inevitable TS is so well contained that it is almost undetectable. But, I guess if they did that, I really would have a Lexus LS. The Avalon is that quiet and smooth with a fit/finsh that is pretty darn close!
  • ub2ub2 Member Posts: 17
    what did you think no one would catch on image
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    ">
  • mrtouringmrtouring Member Posts: 12
    what do you mean by "what did you think no one would catch on "???
  • skrumphskrumph Member Posts: 5
    My 2006 Avalon Limited is one month old. I am joining the list of those with loose fog lights. I am having a problem on rainy nights of glare spots on my wet windshield. There is some sort of film or etched surface that shows up as splotches and 5 vertical lines. The dealer tried to get it off with "STONERS". didn't work. tried with "No Touch Glass Stripper" after multiple applications some of the splotches disappeared but not the vertical lines. The dealer called me to say the Toyota Rep ordered a new windshield and will check the car this week. If he can't solve the problem they will install a new windshield while I wait. If this works I am pleased with the agency (Freehold Toyota) New Jerasey and the Toyota Rep. Anyone have any glass problems?
    It's just that I didn't believe that picture of 46.4 mpg by oz4. In post # 9383 I was showing how easy it is to alter a photograph.
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    what do you mean by "what did you think no one would catch on "???

I thinik he is implying that some of the earlier posted screen images were also altered in Photoshop.
    I have not noticed anything similar. And there have been no shortage of rainy nights this week in my locale.
    The fact that the Toyota Rep quickly authorized a replacement suggests to me that he knows this is an unusual case. If he thouight there might be another 2000 windshields out there where owners would ask for replacement, he would have trried to avoid setting a precedent.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    FYI, JBL does not refer to the Avalon navigation system. JBL is the manufacturer of the Avalon's premium stereo sound system.
  • texasred1texasred1 Member Posts: 20
    My husband and myself are strongly considering buying a new 2006 XLS and have been reading all of the different comments on the mpg. The 26 mpg that you got, was it only city driving, a combination or hwy miles? I hope that you do not get better mpg when using higher octane, because we intend to only use 87 and every now and then fill it up with 89 octane. Good Luck. Incidently, how do you like your new Avalon?
  • osteoman2osteoman2 Member Posts: 26
    I know this question wasn't directed to me but just to help. I have had my 06 XLS for about 5 weeks now. I am getting between 25-27 mpg with a 60-40 mix of highway to city driving. I am using 87 oct only and from what I have read this only makes a slight power difference not a mileage difference. I also have kept my AC off with this last tank of fuel and I'm averaging 29 mpg over the same road/driving conditions.

I came out of an 04 Acura TL to the Avy. I love this car!! Smooth quite and just as powerful as the TL.

Hope this helps.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Just thought I'd inject a little dose of reality into all these high gas mileage discussions. I have an 05 Limited. Out on the highway (I5, LA to Seattle & back) I get around 28 - 29 mpg in real driving (just under 80 mph when speed limit is 70). Under ideal conditions, travelling around 65 mph, I have gotten just over 30 mpg.

Around town, in 100 % city driving, short trips to mall, grocery, etc., I get about 16.5 mpg. Toss in a little freeway driving, can get nearly 20 mpg overall. I initially used premium, now using regular. Can't really tell if there's a difference in mileage, but power still seems quite strong.

Just want to alert those who haven't bought the car yet that in full-on stop & go city driving, mileage will be well under 20 mpg. Still love the car though.

Max
  • endovitendovit Member Posts: 31
    All kinds of stories and questions here so I'll post mine as well. Looked seriously since Jan 2005 for an Avalon. Three dealers in my home area (Omaha) either didn't have them or had colors I disliked. Was planning on trading in my 2000 Camry, which by the way had NEVER been in the shop since I drove it off the dealer's lot. Problem was none want to give me what I thought the Camry was worth and on top of that, all 3 dealers here wanted sticker for the Avalon. Went back to the dealer in Kansas City Kansas where I bought the Camry years ago. What a great dealership. Got what I wanted for my Camry and an additional $1500 off the sticker for the Avalon Limited. Had to order it though. The dealer was up-front that you really can't order an Avalon. They come with packages for regions but he got my selection through. Phantom Grey Ltd with all the bells and whistles except no NAV, no spoiler and I didn't go for the increased security system. Order was first placed in June of 2005 (for a 2005 model). Got a call at the end of the July that they could get the car, but it would be a 2006. I was actually overjoyed - my wife being on the other side of the spectrum because we had a wait a bit more. The car arrived in late September 2005. I've got 1400 miles on it now. Just a few issues that the local dealership is taking care of: scratch on the window, rug in the passenger area not quite place right (wrinkle), no rattles - no jerks in the tranny - no strut problems - virtually a great car. I had a rude awakening when I went to change the oil. Not your run-of-the-mill oil filter. In fact, had to get it from the dealer. Then tried to slide under the beast. That's a trick all of its own. I have one problem that seems to mystify even the reps at the 800 number. I got the laser cruise option. When I'm running down the interstate and set the cruise - then decide to go a bit quicker, it doesn't go up just 1 MPH like the book says, it goes up to the next MPH equally divisible by 5. For example, if I've set it to 63, one bump upward on the lever and I go to 65. One more little bump upward and I go to 70. I got 'em scratching their heads over this one.
    Another little story about the laser cruise. The darn thing really, REALLY works good. Decided to test it just a bit - going down the interstate with the the laser cruise on, I headed for the exit with a much slower car in front of me. The system sensed the car and even put on the brakes. I read about this before trying it but I just had to see if it actually put on the brakes and it certainly did.
    Lastly - a word on NAV. The salesman and dealership I purchased the car from couldn't have been more up-front on everything. What straight up people they've got. Anyway - Why buy NAV for $1600 with a $250 every year update when you can get GPS systems from $333 to $999 that you can update for free over the internet and move them from one car to another?
    At any rate, took a few months to get the car I ordered. Even with the minor problems, I am simply overjoyed and probably a Toyota owner for life.
    Now, if I could just find a repair manual that wasn't priced at an arm and a leg.....
  • edc1edc1 Member Posts: 2
    Being too tall to fit into an Avalon XLS or Limited, I am considering a 2006 Touring model but concerned about the "Sport Tuned" suspension system and the ride. I would appreciate any feedback members of the forum could provide relative to "feel" and "sensitivity" of the Touring model. Do you feel every bump in the road, is it really that stiff, how does the ride compare to other Avalon models, etc.

I thank you in advance for your help with this concern.

Ed
    finding one without the sunroof may be a problem - have had my Touring now since April and 14000 miles - and absolutely love the car and have had no problems at all with it. The Touring suspension is definitely tighter and you will actually feel a few bumps and the steeriing has much more 'feel'. More like a 'sports sedan' in the mold of a TL but still not nearly as much road and engine noise as that car. There will always be some sort of tradeoff handling vs. ride- the terms are almost contradictory. My personal feeling is that the Touring is an ideal compromise but it is still heavily biased toward the luxury ride side of things - a sports car and an Avalon two different things. The other trims very cushy, more isolating, and even quieter but certainly at the expense of road and steering feel. About the only thing I can suggest is to drive both - it's kind of a question of what you like.
  • jsouthavalon05jsouthavalon05 Member Posts: 4
    Don't bother, all of 2005/2006 are the same size. If you don't fit XLS or Limited, then you won't fit the Touring.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    I'm very interested in this. Please rate on a 1-10 scale the ride with ultimate sport being 1 and luxury a 10. Place the TL, Av Touring and AV XLS on the scale. feel free to add BMW and Buick or Lexus to the mix.

Thanks!!
    Now, if I could just find a repair manual that wasn't priced at an arm and a leg.....

How's $10 sound? See message #8861 in this forum.
    For what it's worth, when it came time to get a new car, I went to the internet going over every make. When I came to toyota, I started looking over the makes. The more I looked at the avalon the more I new this was the car. I could hardly wait to get to the dealership the next day. I decided the touring had what I wanted. Somewhere in there I missed the sport tuned suspension. Thinking they all had the same suspension I took a test drive. I thought my eye teeth were going to come out of my head. I thought no way. So I started over. Somewhere in there I went back to avalon and discovered that only the touring had the struts welded together. Proud to say that I am the new owner of a XLT.
  • sjdunhamsjdunham Member Posts: 3
    See, I knew somebody smarter than I am would have a good idea. I'll see if I can get the console apart and find that wire. Sounds pretty straightforward... (famous last words!) Thanks for the pointer.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    This matches my mileage exactly per the info screen. My only problem is that my MPG screen is about 3mpg over whenever I do the manual math thing. 16.5 is about my average in town driving. I got 31 one time, driving about 68. Anything over 68 reduces my mpg.
    I do like the seats and the engine is a go-getter, styling is a winner. I complained before about my driver window rattling whenever the door was shut with it down an inch or so. Finally, today I stayed with the repairman and "we" found a bracket broken which rattled when the door was shut. Part was ordered.
    tarhe54
  • sjdunhamsjdunham Member Posts: 3
    If you manage to figure out how to get the 2005 Avalon nav system to be fully functional while the car is moving (gee, what a concept...) PLEASE let us know. What an aggravating "feature" that lockout is...
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    I have one problem that seems to mystify even the reps at the 800 number. I got the laser cruise option. When I'm running down the interstate and set the cruise - then decide to go a bit quicker, it doesn't go up just 1 MPH like the book says, it goes up to the next MPH equally divisible by 5. For example, if I've set it to 63, one bump upward on the lever and I go to 65. One more little bump upward and I go to 70. I got 'em scratching their heads over this one.

If I remember correctly, the laser cruise control on the Avalon is exactly the same as the one on my Sienna. If that's the case, it is working as it should. When in STANDARD mode, it will bump or reduce the speed in 1 mph increments but when in LASER mode, it will always bump up or down to the next 5 mph increment (e.g. 62 bumps up to 65, 65 bumps up to 70, 62 bumps down to 60). Wish it were otherwise but that's how it's programmed. You may have been reading the wrong section (Standard vs. Laser operation) of the cruise control description. Weird that Toyota didn't catch it. Sounds like none of the staff bought the top level models..
    Ed
    just opinion, of course, and limiting myself to sedans:
    G35 2,BMW530 3, M35 4, TL 5, GS 6, Touring 7.5, XLS.Ltd. 8.5, LS 9.5. Kind of unfair some of these cars will hit $60k pretty easily. Lexus/Toyota has always produced 'softer' vehicles more to what is generally agreed as American driving tastes, the LS will outhandle any Av and the luxury/quality is second to none, from the Lexus dealers perspective I think the Avs (in any trim) get uncomfortably close to the LS, the BMW/G35/M35 are wonderful driver's cars ,meaning that some ride and noise issues must be compromised, the TL is tougher to classify because it really tries to be what a G35 is but fails due to limitations of its front wheel drive. The Chrysler 300 is the only 'Detroit' model that I think will stand in this group also at about a 5, it is a big car that really feels good being big but I couldn't get around a harsh V6 and the interior quality- drove a Touring version. Would not have included the Av in this group prior to 2005 - not enough engine! All great cars, sport does not necessarily mean good, luxury bad or vice versa - kind of depends on what floats your boat!
  • billygatorbillygator Member Posts: 15
    My name is Bill . . . and I also don't get 30+ MPG.

It's nice to have found a support group.

My experience is virtually identical to 3puttmax after 2500 miles. My daily travel, which includes 60% freeway and 40% city traffic yields about 20 MPG. My best highway tank at 70-75 MPH w/AC has been alomost 29 MPG.

I was about to complain to my dealer about my "inadequacy", but now I'm just looking for others to tell me I'm OK.

Thanks. ;)
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Just returned from a trip from Dallas to Baton Rouge. Averaged from 31.4 to 32 mpg going from Dallas to Alexandria, but from Alexandria to Baton Rouge got up to 35.9 mpg - this was flat land with a tail wind and driving 55-60 mph. The 31.4 to 32 mpg was driving 70 and sometimes 75 when passing trucks- also going up and down the rolling hills of east Texas and also had the airconditioner on. I calculated the mileage when I filled up just to see how close the car's computer was and there was one tenth of a mile difference. Very pleased, however, only make those kinds of trip about twice a year. The rest of the time is all in town stop & go driving so average a disappointing 16 to 18 mpg. Doesn't seem to matter if I use 87 or 93 octane. Idling at red lights is what kills the mpg!
    If you look along the side of the center console, even with the chrome button used to open the accessory power connector cover, you will see a seam. The entire rear section of the console is a separate piece. There are 2 retaining screws under the carpet floor under the armrest, and 2 screws under the woodgrain on each side of the chrome release button. To remove the latter 2 screws, unfortunately, you have to first remove the upper console. See my instructions at:

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/console_removal.pdf

Take you time and use minimal force until you have a feel for how much is necessary. Separate the pieces a little at a time to avoid breaking anything. You can shorten your plastic putty knife to make it stiffer.
    Lowering the driver's seat and sliding the passenger seat all the way rearward will give you better access.

Wire colors for the accessory power connectors are green (+) and white/black (ground).
  • hwilliams1hwilliams1 Member Posts: 1
    Saw an earlier post about a guy with an Olds 88. I got the same car myself, and I was curious: I wondered how good I could get my 1996 sedan. So I took a road trip today: roundtrip, moderate hills, two and four lane highway. A few stopsigns. 99 miles total. Filled up with scientific precision (same pump, filled til gas was seeping down side of car both before and after trip). Traveled between 55 and 65 mph the entire time -- even passed a couple of people. I even had my dad riding with and a toolbox in the backseat. Weather was ideal, no strong wind, about 55 degrees.
    Final mileage: 37.09 mpg.
    The fact is, big sedans can get great mileage if you drive 'em easy. GM sedans get some mighty sweet mpg -- and I've got 170,000 miles on the clock on mine. And mind you, I was driving with my foot eaaasy on the gas pedal. But...if you are disappointed in your avalon mileage, you could buy a used Olds (or Buick) ;)
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    It's bad enough we have plenty of inconsiderate drivers talking on cell phones and now you want to program the nav while driving?
    :mad:
    Mackabee
  • jbramanjbraman Member Posts: 8
    Interesting threads, lately!

I've now owned the 06Titanium XLS for about a month and 1K miles.

The BEST mileage (32mpg) was the very first day, after filling with Premium and driving 70 miles, highway, betwee 60 and 65 MPH; found the tires inflated to 40psi, the next day and reduced to 32psi!! Mileage has been high 20's highway with high octane.

I really have enjoyed the ride and drive (last 2 cars were Cad SLS) and am still amazed by the quiet and "smoothness" of the ride, the acceleration is amazing for a V6 and the 5 speed transmission is excellent. Very quiet with no noises, vibrations or squeeks and rattles.. Styling and interior is great and has elicited positive comments, by all who have ridden or driven! :D

I drove Oldsmobile 88's as company cars (3) 1986 to1998; they were IMO, very solid sedans, with plenty of power,,,,,,,,,,,I replaced one transmission, under warranty, no engine repairs; fairly quiet for it's time. It was a very nice "work' car. I believe that the XLS is much more powerful, more fun to drive, much more "elegant" and feels more stable and solid; much prefer the styling, too!!!

Very, very satisfied and look forward to driving, everyday! (1997 Cad SLS was fun to drive, and a good experience, too)

jeffb
  • cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    no it was mostly 50/50, but i put 89 oct. in it and saw mile mileage go up to 29MPG. We'll have to wait and see if it gets better with higher octane
  • tfranktfrank Member Posts: 4
    I know. I have done some research and found out that the Avalon Navigation is made by Denso. I haven't contacted their reps yet. I am currently manuvering my way though the techs at my dealership. I am complaining of gyroscope problems with my nav/sat radio and I have been asking them for the diagnostic code that allows me to see the antenna readings. If there is a way to active the Nav "override" than it is most likely in the same menu (just like that Highlander, Prius, etc...) If anyone has some free time and would like to do some social engineering with me... let me know
    Yes, it did help. Thanks for the info. I am getting excited about buying the 06 Avalon, I think that we will be pleased.
    I appreciate the info. With the driving that we mostly do, it is a mixture of highway and stop and go. So, hopefully we will usually get 20 mpg or better. But thanks for the heads up! If it does happen, we should not be surprised.