Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    There is a complaint filed with the NHTSA, as follows:

Make : TOYOTA Model : AVALON Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10137603 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: September 18, 2005
    VIN : 4T1BK36B35U...
    Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
    Summary:
    DT: THE THROTTLE STUCK TO THE FLOOR, CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO GO FORWARD QUICKLY. WITH A LOT OF EFFORT THE CONSUMER WAS ABLE TO GET THE VEHICLE IN NEUTRAL AND SHUT IT OFF. THIS HAPPENED ON SEPTEMBER 18, 2005. WHEN THE CONSUMER TOOK VEHICLE TO THE DEALER FOR REPAIRS THEY TOLD HIM THAT THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE VEHICLE. THEY DID NOTHING TO ALTER THE VEHICLE. THE CONSUMER FELT THAT THE VEHICLE WAS UNSAFE TO DRIVE. *AK

Visit the NHTSA website at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/
    enter the ODI number 10137603 to find the complaint and print off a copy of the complaint.
    Take a copy of the complaint to the dealer so they know you are not the only one having the problem. If they, or Toyota Corporate don't help then you may want to file a complaint too, also at the above URL.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Is this post directed to anyone in particular or are you making others aware that a complaint was lodged?
  • sigdsigd Member Posts: 1
    Mike,

I have a 2005 Avalon XL: I have a knock under a load every morning for the first 10 minutes. It then gets quiet but is still there.

I had it in the dealers for 3 days. They said they could not hear it.

This is not a gas knock. It is very loud when cold under a slight load until it warms up. It then gets quiet but is still there.

I searched the internet and found several people that have this problem. One said the dealer replaced #4 and #1 bearing on the cam and Toyota knows about this and is sending repair kits to the dealers.

It seems a few out of spec bearings were used during manufacture.
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    "Perhaps it doesn't count idling at the start of a trip. For example, try starting it in the morning and let it warm up for 10 minutes and see if the mpg changes. Then at the end of your drive, sit for another 10 minutes in the parking lot and see if it changes."

Done all of that, I park in a park and ride lot waiting for the bus and on hot days I sit in Park and idle, same on cold days, and the MPG decreases the longer you idle, just like at a stop light. What I was trying to tell you nicely was that your supposition is wrong it continues to calculate MPG, and at idle in Park or Drive it's recording fuel used and no additional miles driven so the MPG is decreasing.

I can even tell you (not that this would be a surprise) that it decreases more rapidly when you have just filled up and driven few miles than after you have a few hundred and sit idling, it has less miles to calculate against so the MPG degrades faster.

Works the same on my 2003 Avy.
    Is this post directed to anyone in particular or are you making others aware that a complaint was lodged?

No he didn't realize Javis was making a bad joke in response to Pat's comment about spicing up the topics...lol.

Amazing......

allavalons
    OK you guys got me. :cry:
    I had read about this complaint on the NHTSA and I thought Jayvis was serious. I take it back, strike it from the record.
    As you were, gentlemen.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    alan s - like the ??? behind your post - because I would be willing to bet that no such thing actually happened to jayvis -just a strange sense of humor.
    The NHTSA website you reference is fascinating: fact is that by sorting by year/make/model/component you will find the same type of complaint on almost every car manufactured! Included: ES, 530, Accord, Camry, 300, 500, G35, A4,S430 etc. - mostly single complaints just as in the one on the Av. Not to mention multiple other compliants on mostly safety related issues, again for every car made including the Av's worthless brakes, engines, transmissions (at least according to the complainers). Things do happen strangely sometimes in cars these days simply because of all that new technology common to all of them - certainly beyond the understanding of the people that drive them and in some cases, the people that are supposed to be able to fix them. Kind of like those Windows exclamation points accompanied by the infamous 'Windows has encountered a problem and cannot continue'. If we were to take seriously all those complaints (and especially those that appear one time for the 90000 Avs that Toyota has put on the road), we could never buy any car. We could go back to horse and buggies except that I heard that NHTSA has a few complaints on them too.! What we really need is Ralph to abandon his presidential aspirations and come protect us again.
    A good friend of mine drives a '65 Mustang every day, big V8 and an absolute deathtrap compared to the cars of today. Weighs about 2600 lbs. so it accelerates well enough if you can control the axle hop, doesn't have anything approaching real brakes, no steering feel, handles almost as well as a Hummer, has no safety systems worth mentioning and is continually leaking something. Wonder how we ever survived?
    Point of all this: there are no such things as perfect cars, people do complain sometimes legitimately sometimes not, and today's car, despite how complicated they have become, is 10 times safer, 10 times more reliable and durable, and 10 times costlier.
    Ay ay, Captain!
    I agree with you on all counts except for your comment on Windows which REALLY doesn't have anything approaching real brakes, no steering feel, handles almost as well as a Hummer, has no safety systems worth mentioning and is continually leaking something. Of course that is another story and another forum... ;)
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98

guys i still wanna know whats the best tires PSI pressure should be ? i chicked my tires and they were 50psi ! lowered to 40 still theres bump feeling then again lowered to 32 psi bumpy feeling is gone ! but the steering is little firmer now :(
    so i wanna know whats the best psi ! the tires spec says Do not go above 40 psi !

also the steering go to the right very slightly so do i need to tell the dealer about it ? does it needs a new allginments ?
    anyhelp would be appreciated !
    another friend of mine has a brand new Nissan Titan & gets stuck in some really heavy traffic on a very hot day - all of a sudden a transmission warning light comes on and the trans stops working altogether. Towed back to the dealer, they do get an error code from the truck's computer but, of course, can find nothing wrong with the trans. The fix - 'rebooting' the truck's computer and now everything's fine - except for his confidence in his truck. That kind of thing -the basis for the Windows analogy.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    A strange sense of humor? At least I have one. You're being very stiff el capitan.
    The BEST advice available is to READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL! Toyota knows more about this car and it's tires than anyone on this forum.
  • inquizativeguyinquizativeguy Member Posts: 4
    Concerning your auxilary input adapter for your Avalon which you hit the 'tape' button to listen to your device ( presumably an MP3 player or an IPOD )

1. What exactly did you buy (make, model, brand name, part number etc) for an auxillary input device? (hopefully its a non cassette adapter)
    2. WHat mode car and year and which type (JBL or Non Jbl) stereo - do you have?
    3. As I understand this, you have your input adapter connected to the wires of your tape deck, rendering your useless tape deck, totally useless, correct?

This IS EXACTLY what I want!
    I want to hook sirius radio and an aux input to that wasted tape deck space. I own a 2005 Avalon 7 speaker non-jbl radio with a 6 disc changer. I love my disc changer, but I want sirius and and mp3 cabality too. Ive always wanted to rip out the tape deck and install a sirius radio there, and when I want to listen to the radio, I can just hit the 'tape' button on my car and listen to sirius. I dont have an 'AUX' or 'Sat' button on my radio, my Avalon radio didnt come with these options.

It shouldnt be too hard to figure out the wiring for the external cassette. If you remove the cassette, there should be wires connect to it, presumably it would have a. power b. inputs for sound ie left sound, right sound c. live wire (is there a tape connected to the unit) d. wire for controls ei fast forward, reverse, etc e. ground.
    I wish I were smart enough and handy enough and technical enough to figure out which wires go where and what colors go with what functions, is there anyone out there that has hacked or can figure out what wires make the tape deck work and how to remove the cassette deck and install a sirius radio and/or an ipod 30gb in that hole?

Please help make this happy avalon owner even happier by letting me enjoy my music and the NFL!
    jayvis- my post 9566 certainly not intended to be humorous - your suggestion that the Av had throttle problems (in a school zone, no less) definitely not funny and as I said in that post, irresponsible. Why - because somebody out there was bound to take it seriously - and sure enough somebody did - even to the point of searching thru NHTSA archives to find a single complaint and then, of course posting the complaint. Now putting something official like that up has a whole lot of folks concerned about something that is not likely a problem. Why - because we have 90000 or so Avs on the streets with maybe 6000 miles on each of them - that's 540 million miles of possible throttle problems and it has happened maybe once (as far as NHTSA knows) . Probably a greater chance of of getting hit by a low flying 747 than having a stuck throttle create problems in your Av! You gotta understand human nature - it is easier for most folks to believe the negative.
    As far as no sense of humor - guess you don't read the majority of my posts or this stuff just shoots right over your head. Humor subjective, of course but I guess you may not understand who Ralph is and what he did to the auto industry, or see anything slightly funny in NHTSA reports on horses!
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    So... then why do I have a discrepancy between hand-calculated value and the computer? As I noted, in my case, the trip-odometer displayed on the nav matches the one displayed on the instrument cluster. Any theories?

I guess the only other variable would be that the gallons displayed on the pump is different than the fuel consumption calculated by the vehicle...
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Tape deck connector (wires to radio)
    Pin........color..........function
    =======================
    1............-.......shield for audio signal wires
    2........white.....right channel signal +
    3........black....right channel signal -
    4........green....left channel signal +
    5........red........left channel signal -
    6........white.....mute
    9........red........data +
    10 .....white.....data -

Other wires (not to radio)
    7....white/black....Ground
    11....yellow...switched +12V (acc)
    12....red......unswitched +12V (battery)

The "data" wires are Toyota proprietary, and probably are used to transfer information about track, side, etc.
    your really seem stressed on this one - refer back to my original post 9533 and subsequent posts from 3puttmax.What you are assuming to be correct (miles driven show on the speedo, either odometer, or nav) is not correct. If the odometer says you have driven 300 miles you may have actually driven about 310 (3% error). So when you fill up you need to divide your gallons into the correct actual miles - not what the odos etc. show. Then, you should come out with a computer calculated mpg very close to hand calculated - IF you consistently fill the tank to the same level. Would guess that this odo error may vary from Av to Av (I have observed errors approaching 4% on mine, 3puttmax a little less than 3). Only way I know of for you to check this is to drive a well defined distance (highway mileage markers are generally very good) and compare what the markers say you have driven versus what your car thinks it traveled. Promise you the markers are correct.
    Also promise you that a gallon is always precisely 128 ounces, and that a car that is allowed to idle away an entire tank of gas will display 0 mpg, as well as showing no odometer error because you never went anywhere.
    If you can't get it from this - heck, don't worry about it - you have a great car that has some power and does remarkably well on a tank of gas. Enjoy it!
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    I had decided that complaining about the rear window distortion on my '05 Avalon was unlikely to be productive, and could be lived with. However, I'm having second thoughts after a two-day trip covering 2500 KM (1500 miles) when the regular rear-view check became increasingly irksome as the white lines did their recurring, distracting dance. More bothersome, it seemed, was the fact that the distance of following/overtaking vehicles was difficult to judge due to the changing shapes thereof. When a vehicle enters the 'squish zone' it may well seem to be further behind than it is in fact. I think that there could be a safety related concern.
  • drh3drh3 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Avalon Ltd, less than 400 miles at this point it has the same rattle coming from the rear passenger shelf area. It only occurs on rough or bumpy roads. Have you had any success resolving? Just returned form the dealer they say cannot isolate the problem, even though they acknowledged the rattle in a test drive.
    weird today i just got a rattle from the rear shelf but it goes away when i press on the end of the shelf behind the electronic sun shade ! i could stick somthing fat in there and would make it go away hope so .

if anyone got the way on how to remove the whole rear shelf it would be easier !
    just tried and sticked some thick paper and couldnt let it go away :(

somebody help here :(
  • morganffmorganff Member Posts: 6
    You have my sympathy for being the latest victim of the 2005 Avalon drift/pull problem to write in. As far as I know, nobody has reported a satisfactory solution to their problem on this site. For legal reasons, I am not free to discuss the status of my case openly anymore. Try searching these names on this site for others describing this condition: squatos, timfrank, 3puttmax, jackstacker, avalonowner, fossilized, agent, conelecon.
    For your rattle problem, try reading message #9015. It sounds like this could be the cause of your noise, too. The locations sound the same.
    Hope this helps and best wishes.
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    zupra: Went out & checked my new Avalon & 1 of the 4 factory stickers placed on the frame for the drivers side door (up & right of the aluminum looking kick plate) shows tire inflation info saying cold tire pressure should be 32 psi. To get cold pressure check tires before you have driven very far since as they heat up the pressure will increase. Max is 44psi (shown on my Michelin's sidewall) but as you found out your ride will be harsher (you would get a little better mpg though). I wouldn't worry about firmer steering as overassisted (not firm enough steering feel) has been the subject of some complaints on this forum and in some reviews of the Avalon. As for the noise from the package shelf area, there were a number of posts on the subject, including some fixes, a while back. Try a search of noise, noises, or rattle. Like your new car. Seems like you posted pics of a black Avalon previously. Is this new one your second one already?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    if anyone got the way on how to remove the whole rear shelf it would be easier

I spoke with my dealer about removing the rear shelf...don't go there! He showed me the shop manual on steps that had to be taken and it's extremely complex; the potential to screw up some of the electronic connections is too great and you could cause some warranty problems by doing it yourself. Fortunately the need to do it never arose for me.
    zekeman1.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I am curious. What is the age of you Avalon buyers? And, what was the car you were driving before you bought the Avalon?
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    zekeman1, you are absolutely right. folks seem to have way too much time on their hands and there's far too much petty bickering. I've been out of action for 9 weeks recovereing from ankle fusion surgery (right ankle). So, I can't drive my Limited or spend much time looking at forums. But the time off has made me realize just how much this site has gone downhill. Even your comments and Mac's can't save it. I'm out.
    Re: Drifts to thr right (Bahraini_zupra) by morganff :

so ur sayin my car is one of thoes effected :( so is it dangrous to drive ? is it fixable ? i didnt finished the first 1000 odo yet so my first service i'll tell them about the allignment tho !
    yes i saw that thread before i post but any tho on how to remove the shelv would be greatly appreciated altho i am going to tell the dealer on first service about it .

Re: first 120odo impression :) [bahraini_zupra] by stlmo :
    thanks alot on the tips u gave me but still theres no body posted a way on how to fix it on this forums :(
    nop thats my friend black avvy mine is white :)

anyway guys thanks aloot on the help here but if i could find any more help about the rattle and drift issue would be appreciated to know the tips on fixin that .

ali
    Go to message #9015 for a potential fix.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Found an interesting article in 2005 road and track magazine re the HP story.This was written by Dennis Simanaitis,Engineering Editor

The HP Race Gets Muddied
    Changes to SAE Standard J1349, Engine Power Test Code--Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition--Net Power Rating,close off some loopholes and establish something called SAE Certified Hosepower. In the near term, though,this is likely to muddy the the running of the horsepower race.
    SAE Certified Horespower is the easier one to explain: It implies that an independent third party is present during the engine's dynamomenter testing and signs off on the results.
    The loopholes were fascinating--if a bit arcane. For instance, engines on the dyno don't run their auxiliaries such as power-steering pumps. Instead loss factors are calculated in to cover this. It was thought the previous factor for power-steering pump was too easy on the engine.
    Anothe loophole closed: There's the matter, previously left ambiguous, of the tested engine's oil level. By running almost, but not quite, a quart down, there might have been a slight reduction in internal friction--and a tad more power.The revised standard requires oil at the high point of a fill, e.g., at the dipstick's top mark.
    Another loophole concerned the octane of the test fuel verses the octane recommended on the fuel-filler door or in the owner's manual. Now, this must match.
    Different engines respond differently to these changes in J1349,but generally horsepower reductions of 2-5 percent are typical.
    The revised standard was promulgated back in August 2004 and, until the end of last year. was voluntary in automaker bhp assements. From Janurary 1, 2005 though, it was mandatory.
    But here is the kicker: If an engine family is unchanged, and if the automaker used the previous J1349, no new bhp certification is necessary. On the other hand some automaker shave opted for recertifying their entire engine lineup.
    Hence, at least for model year 2006, there's as much as a 2-5 percent uncertainly in comparing one engine's horsepower with another. This isn't much, of course. However, a previous member of the 500-Bhp Club might now be bench racing at "only" 475 bhp.
    This all reminds me of the old days of inflated horsepower ratings when someone suggested bhp stood for "horespower at the brochure".

One of my key reasons for buying the Limited was the 280 horespower. Did Toyota not follow the ASE Standards when they knew a year ahead of time of the pending changes? Why didn't they follow the guidlines or at least be proactive and set the auomaker's standard and be a real leader in the industry?
    The 2005 Avalon was in the showrooms in February of 2005. The new standards should have implemented at that time. They did not follow the SAE requirements. Did they have a loophole?
    The guidelines stated "if the engine family was unchanged , then thay could use the old data": But the engine is new.

I am very disapointed at Toyota for not being up front with The SAE J1349 regulations.

I am interested in comments from Toyota or anyone who agrees or disagrees. ange1
  • njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    Yes, my problem was finally resolved.
    It took the service department 4 days to realize that the rear shelf was not bolted down properly. After re-securing it, it still rattled so they applied pipe insulation (for lack of a better description) to all metal making contact below the rear shelf. The service manager originally thought it was the wiring that ran thru the roof and had me push up on the roof in the rear seat area to see if that silenced the problem, it did not, but maybe it's another avenue for you to follow.
    My Service manager also first told me there was nothing they could do. Make sure you are persistant and tell them you don't want the vehicle back until it's rattle free. THey should give you a loaner car for that period free of charge.
    LJS
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Nothing for nothing, but some how some can get so hung up on what the numerical value of the horsepower rating is, when 99% of you don't even get close to its peak at its peak RPM seems wasteful in and of itself.

Is it more important that this machine deliver whatever it is sellling, room, quiet, comfort, refinement, performance, etc. with good value. I think it is so unimportant to some of us what numerical value the hp rating is. If you really wanted to compare numerical value, torque values at a lower RPM would be more real world.

abfisch
    The power relationship didn't change so I personally could care less. By power relationship I mean, the time it takes to go from 0 to 60, or the time/speed in the quarter mile. None of those numbers changed. The displacement didn't change, nor the torque. It still redlines at the same point.

All those things that are physical (speed, torque, time, etc) remained the same so they can tell me there are 280 HP or 268 HP or 5 HP......it doesn't change the power when merging onto the highway, the 'KICK' when tromping down to pass, or anything else physical. It's just a changed number due to changing criteria, but whatever they call it, it didn't change the 0 - 60 time one tenth...

I'd worry that anyone concerned with the number or size assigned to the engine when all else remains the same, would probably also be the one bragging or exaggerating about the size of something else...maybe it's a new paradigm.... Horsepower Envy...

Just my $.02
  • njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    I bought my 05 AVALON LTD in Early May and we had some cold weather shortly following. As I had stated in an earlier post that I park in an underground garage in NYC on a daily basis and it is significantly warmer in the garage than the outside by at least 20 degrees (F)
    My dashboard squeaks maddly after retrieving my vehicle from the garage all the way home when the outside temperature is below 60*F and the garage is close to 80*
    If I push on the das just over the NAV Screen I can duplicate the sound, it seems to be coming from the far right corner (passenger side) where the windshield meets the dash.
    Anyone else have a similar issue that seems climate sensitive?
    LJS
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Just wanted to say that I ordered the mouldings from Dawn Enterprises Inc and the color match is perfect. I had a body shop install them and IMHO they look great. As others have said they may not be located where my doors will get hit, but they're better than nothing. My wife and I like them.
  • vince11vince11 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone purchased a Toyota Platinum, 7yr/100,000 mi. warranty from Toyota of Greenfield, MA, recently? If so, is the cost still $985.00 and is there a particular person to speak with? Thanks!
    actually, torque rerated slightly lower as well - can't imagine that a power steering pump or a quart of oil suck 12 hp or 12 ft/lbs. Premium vs. Regular maybe. The only time I feel any difference in the power is when 1) the AC is on and/or 2) if I happen to have some 87 octane in the tank - and even in combination feel that the difference in the driving character of the car is not changed significantly.
    As you say - why worry - we'll both get there more quickly than we probably need to anyway. I have found the sweet spot of this engine to be between 4-5000 rpm, probably correspondent to torque peak (see abfisch) and can count the number of times the engine has been over 6000 on one hand over 14000 miles.
    pg 258 of my 2005 manual - says 87 minimum, 91 or higher for improved performance. Would be interested to know if the 2006 manual reads differently?
    PS - Acura just did the same thing with their engines if it makes anybody feel better.The TL used to have 270hp and now it has the same 258 hp!
  • avasteravaster Member Posts: 20
    The paint on my black 06 is pealing of the front bumper. It peals when I wash it with a spray wand at the car wash. I stoped before it got any larger but I believe it would all wash off. Going to the dealer soon . Has anyone else had this problem?
  • will16will16 Member Posts: 21
    Im 55 and traded a Lexus RX300 2002
  • 06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    I'm 56 and replaced a 1999 V6 Camry (vintage red pearl with spoiler and gold emblems). :)
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    66 and traded a 2002 Avalon XLS for the 2006 Avy LTD
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    I just picked up the Toyota Platinum 7 year/100,000 mile warranty for $985.00 last week at Midwest Toyota Superstore in Hutchinson, Kansas. We live in Michigan but bought our car there and got a GREAT deal thanks to Edmunds and a poster named Kirkendoll on this forum. The same applied to the warranty, I thought I would wait and buy it from a local dealer but they all quoted me prices over 1295.00. You can buy the warranty anywhere so feel free to shop around. I believe the guys in the finance departments are the ones who write up the contracts.
    Laura.
    believe the guys in the finance departments are the ones who write up the contracts

And this apparently is a negotiable item...I was quoted over $1K for the warranty; when I refused, they dropped the price $200...when I again refused, they dropped the price to $795. When I finally put my foot down and told them I didn't want it at all and they were about to completely lose a sale, they backed off and I bought the car.
    zekeman1
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    age 64. New Avy replaced 98 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. Still have a 2000 Avy XLS. Obviously a big Toyota fan, especially the Avalon.
  • bixsterbixster Member Posts: 6
    My wife and i are both 42 and didnt trade in a vehicle to purchase our 06 Limited. I guess we are a bit younger than most avalon buyers, but we absolutely love this car. It is a car that appeals to both of us with it's sporty look and with it's incredible responsiveness when stepping on the pedal. All that, plus the comfort that is superb. We bought the Blue Mirage and have had numerous compliments from strangers who have seen the car up close.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I'm 59 and replaced a 1985 Honda Accord with my '06 LTD Blue Mirage Metallic. THe Honda is staying in the family as I gave it to my brother-in-law.
    iam 21 i got 95 supra tt and 95 toyota camry .
  • 06avalonxl06avalonxl Member Posts: 7
    Page 260 of the 2006 manaul says:

"Select Octane Rating 87...or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91...or higher is recommended."
  • avasteravaster Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone else had this problem.image
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    ">image
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    ">
  • kirkendollkirkendoll Member Posts: 21
    I purchased mine from my local dealer whom matched the price. Same Toyota 7yr/100,000 warranty
    Not me...what kind of "spray wand" are you using? How close to the car are you holding it? If it's a home power washer, believe that might be way too much pressure to be using, especially if you're close. I always use a sponge or one of those mitts to wash mine; for splattered bugs, I use one of those nylon pads, but even then I don't scrub real hard.

From the pix, it looks like the power from the wand has peeled the paint away. That is easily accomplished using a power washer on a deck.
    zekeman1