Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• avasteravaster Member Posts: 20
    Im using the car wash down the street. This is simply a bad prep in the spray room at toyota. I have painted many cars and am familer with base coat clear coat. This is from contamination on the surface of the primer before finish. I'm not asking you to trouble shoot this problem. I just want to know if anyone else has paint peeling of their car. When primer is preped right the base coat adhears so as to become one. If it is as you say and you take a 3500 psi prersure washer with a jet tip to use as an example. It would remove the primer also. There is no presure you could adjust to remove paint and not the primer also.
  • kirkendollkirkendoll Member Posts: 21
    I spoke with my local dealer and the wiper blade inserts are less than $4.00.
    I don't have a part number, but it you need it and can get it next week. Let me know.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I am 72 yrs. old. I had 92 and 97 Ford crown victoria's. Drove both of them 180,000 miles plus. Had to get something different. ange1
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I don't agree 100% agree with those who don't seem too concerned if the Avalon is rated at 280 or 268 horsepower. Although I can cherp the front tires with the motor anytime.

My concern is about Toyota not listing the J1349 rated HP when they printed up the 2005 brochures.It was reported to be mandatory. Who polices the ASE Standards?

My point is, when I buy 20 oranges or 20 apples, I expect to get them in the container, if not, I settle the matter with store fokes. I was hooked on the 280 HP. Enough said. ange1
  • eddieb1eddieb1 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2005 XLS. There is a rattle in the sames area. Also have one in the sunroof area. I will be taking my vehicle back for the third time. Dealers hate rattles. They don't want to deal with them.
  • eddieb1eddieb1 Member Posts: 8
    I bought my Avalon in Feb, one of the first XLS's in the US. I got squeaks, rattles, from the sunroof, passenger side dash area, rear deck. You would think that at these prices these problems would not exist.
  • fosman77fosman77 Member Posts: 13
    I'm 52 and replaced a 1999 Camry
  • vbanks1vbanks1 Member Posts: 6
    The same thing happened to my 02 Avalon when I used my 1750psi power washer.
    However, I already had a small nick in my bumper and the washer got under the paint and caused it to peel. I think you may have had a small abrasion on your bumper and the pressure washer made it worse.
  • vbanks1vbanks1 Member Posts: 6
    I was 38 when I purchased my 02 Avalon; I'm now 42 and the proud owner of a Black 05 Limited. I love this car and I would have purchased it at 20 if it was available and if I had the money.
  • rdlong47rdlong47 Member Posts: 4
    I am not having the same paint peel problem as you have, but I have an issue with the front bumper cover. I have an 06 Bilzzard Whit LTD and have noticed some small orange looking spots appearing on the cover. I hand wash the car and about 3 weeks ago I noticed a couple of spots. On each subsequent washing I have noticed a few more. You can't feel the spots, they seem to be between the color and the clearcoat. I have tried a clay bar and have also tried some pretty strong stuff form the body shop.... nothing seems to touch it. Gotta make a trip to the dealer soon and see what they have to say. I hate to have paint work done, but we will see!!
  • billygatorbillygator Member Posts: 15
    49 - replaced a 2002 Maxima GLE

Would have never considered the previous Avalon.
  • will16will16 Member Posts: 21
    Spray a little silicone in the area, Amor-all
  • will16will16 Member Posts: 21
    Hi
    I just bought a 06 XLS and I love it. BUT I need the body side mouldings. Do you have address, phone or e-mail of Dawn Enterprises?

Thanks

Bill
  • osteoman2osteoman2 Member Posts: 26
    Bill,

Here is a link for the moldings.

http://www.dawn-ent.com/molding/pntmld.htm
  • schultz2006schultz2006 Member Posts: 6
    You may purchase body side mouldings from ww.sportwing.com for 139 dollars plus 14.95 for shipping. I put mine on in less than one hour.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I think the Avalon is a very nice car. I too like the looks outside and inside. The interior room is incredible. I think the Avalon has a lot to offer, plenty of luxury features. But, there is no Bluetooth. I find this odd. Bluetooth is really useful and it is becoming more and more popular. It is really nice to be able to drive your car, take a cell phone call on a car speaker, and talk hands free. Are there any aftermarket solutions for adding bluetooth to an Avalon? If so, how do they work?
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    Agreed /\
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Purchased my 05 Limited in March at the young age of 48. My previous car was a 2003 Lexus GS300.
  • pftaylorpftaylor Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a mint 2005 Avalon Limited and am curious as to how one switches the background color of the Navigation screen when in the audio and/or trip information screens. My default color is currently green and I would like blue. I have seen numerous photgraphs of Avalons with a blue background color however, the manual does not mention how to adjust the background.

Can anyone here help? Also, my dash does not have a button (which changes the background color) to push which I have seen pictures of. I believe I have seen photographs of it being located near the passenger airbag amber light.

Finally, I have also seen photographs of a main screen which displays trip, audio, and air-conditioning information. I have not been able to figure out how to get to this screen either. I'm beginning to wonder if there are different versions of the navigation system. My Limited was built in July.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated...
  • jj kellyjj kelly Member Posts: 8
    67 - replaced a 1994 Maxima
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Welcome to the group, pftaylor, lots of happy Avy owners here. And many of us have way too much time on our hands so we do a lot of gentle nit-picking!

I don't think you can change the background colors of your NAV screen, except to put it in day or night mode. The blue screen you refer to I think is the default screen that comes in the models that do not have the NAV system. It is blue with white lettering. It displays the radio info, and heating/cooling info as well as trip computer information.

On a NAV-equipped model, you have (of course) the color map display, and then two other areas, both in green: the Audio screen and the Climate screen. I have not found a way to change their background colors. Frankly, I think the green tehy use is pretty cool but that is of course a personal issue.

Enjoy your new ride, fantastic vehicle it is... :D

Mike
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    I'm 75 and traded in a Volvo S-80 for the Avalon.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    I have an '06 Blizzard LX that has the yellow spots you describe. They are all in areas that are at the lower portions of the rear bumper panels. I had the dealer look at them and was told by the body man that they are indeed under/in the clear coat and are most likely caused by a contaminated clear coating process. This problem is not limited to Toyota. I've had other white cars before that exhibited this. It doesn't say much for Toyota's Georgetown quality control and I have a feeling the Blizzard color may go away next year because of these issues and it's cost. I've decided to live with it because you really have to look for the spots on a clean car to notice them. Too bad because I love the color.
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    I've been reading this forum for several months now and hope to purchase a Limited next spring. I've taken one 30-minute test drive and liked the car.

From the outside, the windows of the Avalon look small and I'm wondering if those of you have have been driving one for a while can tell us if you feel there is good visibility. Since I am 6'3" I am especially interested the "views" of tall drivers.

I should have paid more attention to this on my test drive but there is WAY TOO MUCH stuff on this car to absorb in 30 minutes. (Hope to rent one for a week on a trip in December.)

Thanks!
    Tom
  • pftaylorpftaylor Member Posts: 10
    mstem,
    Thank you for the clarification and the warm welcome. The members here possess a tremendous overall insight into the Avalon which simply cannot be matched by any other source I know of, including the dealer.

As an example, I found myself directing the service advisor at Precision/Kuhn Toyota to Avalon Service Bulletins (such as the steering wheel one) which he claimed no knowledge of. In his view, the new Avalon has had "zero" problems. But his view was tainted as it turned out. When I asked how many new Avalons he has worked on - he claimed only a handful. So the collective thinking and experience of our membership easily surpasses the knowledge at dealer level.

I feel fortunate to have stumbled on the forum. I am now empowered to make servicing decisions based on thousands of unique Avalon experiences from our membership. I liken it to making informed healthcare decisions. If one goes to a doctor without any diligence then perhaps the outcome will not be optimal. I little knowledge and research goes a long way in the arena of automobiles as well. I'm now able to tell the advisor where it hurts, how much it hurts, and a potential remedy to guide his thinking.

Good stuff.
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    'From the outside, the windows of the Avalon look small and I'm wondering if those of you have have been driving one for a while can tell us if you feel there is good visibility. Since I am 6'3" I am especially interested the "views" of tall drivers.'

I am the same height, and find no problem apart from the view to the rear - which is basically the same as experienced in my GS400 Lexus. A recent trip in a new Chrysler 300, on the other hand, provided an example of truly restricted views.
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    Tom: I am 6' 3" and also have no problem with the windows. Have noticed no difference/inconvenience between the visibility or ease of use in the Av as compared to the Explorer & Bonneville I also drive (except as noted above as to the rear window, which I think is somewhat limited for anyone regardless of height, but extra driver height should actually help). Regarding height, my head does hit the headliner in the back seat unless the seat is fully reclined (long torso, I guess as it hits on most of todays cars). Before buying the Av this summer we rented a Chrysler 300 Limited for a week of vacation, and those windows did take some getting used to.
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    I,m 71 and replaced a 2003 Acura MDX. :):)
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    be careful with your dealer parts dept : oil filters - originally sold me filters for an 04 Av when I picked up the car last April and did not have a correct listing for the cartridge until last June.; wiper blades - couldn't find it in their computer, had to take the parts manager out to the car to show him what they looked like, and then told me available only as a complete [non-permissible content removed]'y only (for $54!) Dealer training on the new Av - very disappointing! If there is a correct insert for them - please post it.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I'm 6'2" and have absolutely no issue with visibility; while many posters have complained alot about the distortion in the rear window, I have no issue with it.
    zekeman1
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You're not supposed to use any of the heavy duty stuff to clean the bumpers. The material is different than the body of the car. We only recommend soapy water and clean cloth to dry or a chamois. Most of the stuff in the auto parts stores will tell you right on the bottle not to be used on plastic bumpers, painted or unpainted.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • mrrossmrross Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my 06 Limited this October at 28 yo. My previous car was 2003 Avalon XLS. :shades:
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Dawn and Sportwing are the same company.
    Am I to understand that this'' heavy duty stuff '' soaks through the finished paint and effects the material underneath. Or is it that the paint on the bumper is different than the paint on car, also are you suggesting that a car wash is to harsh to use on the avalon.
    My age is 71. I traded in a 2000 BMW 740il.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    schultz2006:

I know its a very unfair comparison, but how would you compare the avalon to the BMW? In terms of ride, comfort, noise, and handling.
  • markhamptonmarkhampton Member Posts: 74
    I'm coming out of an '02 745i. I only spent a half-hour in the Avalon -- enough to know this was the car fro me. Here's my impression:

The BMW's ride is similar from a comfort perspective, but the BMW seems to "control" bumps better, which inspires more confidence. Noise is comparable. Neither outshines the other. The BMW might be quieter on rough highways, but I suspect that has as much to do with the tires as anything. The BMW handles better, no question, but that just isn't all that important to me any more (I'm 42).

The interior ergonomics of the BMW (I-Drive, control stalks, etc) are a nightmare. The BMW's electronics make everything happen in slow motion. Furthermore, as often as not, I have to "train" valets and car wash boys before they can drive it. I look forward to driving a car with standard controls again.

Finally, I'm sick of the monthly visits to my BMW service department. I can't wait to own a Toyota. The BMW is pretty luxurious, but frankly, it isn't $40k more luxurious. I gleefully turned my 745i in last week after a three year lease, and I'll be picking my Avalon up in the next few weeks.
  • mrtouringmrtouring Member Posts: 12
    im 26 got a 05 touring and had an 02 yukon denali
  • chodiechodie Member Posts: 13
    I have an 06 avalon with 1500+ miles. The engine rattles(knocks) at low rpms and the transmission has trouble finding a gear at low speeds. Has anyone had these problems and if so has toyota solved them?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/apealbuyerprofiles/results.asp?id=4

Age 16-35: 7%
    Age 36-55: 37%
    Age 56-plus: 56%
    BMW is the ultimate driving machine. It has a great motor and transmission. I could drive on the freeway at 85 MPH and it felt like I was going 50 MPH. The BMW is more luxurious than the avalon and at $40,000 more it should be. BMW componets such as radiators, power steering hoses, and water pumps are not built to last. I was on my third radiator at 40,000 miles. The electronics on BMW fail without warning which means another trip to the dealer and $600 just to pull up to the service dept. You can count on $1200 for front and rear brakes and rotors.
    The avalon is a more nimble car and fun to drive. Toyota has built a reputation for reliability and dependability. If BMW paid as much attention to quality control as toyota I would still be driving a BMW.
  • bender1bender1 Member Posts: 2
    has any one experienced hesitation starting out or when at speed when trying to downshift? engine revs to 5000rpm,noincrease in speed. engine noiser with new metal timing chain instead of fabric timing belt. car still wanders with cross winds at speeds over 70mph. 2000 miles on car avg 30 ontrip 25 round town. prev car 97 aval 144000 miles didn't trade. car still has orig battery and exh system. am troubled by response to other owners problems with dealers.haven't been back yet. my dealer has serviced last car for eight yrs.
  • rdlong47rdlong47 Member Posts: 4
    A "clay bar" will not harm the finish on the bumpers. It will get things off of the bumper that you can not see. After using, you must wax the bumper because the clay will take the wax off. After washing my 06 Blizzard Ltd with dawn, I used a clay bar on the entire car. Then I used Zaino and put two coats on in one afternoon. The finish is incredible. Feels almost wet!! This process did not help the spots on the bumper. I hate to start painting.. I am office mgr at a body shop and realize all the potential problems trying to match bumper covers (both front and rear). We see all kinds of cars from the factory that have color problems when it comes to paint on vinyl or plastic such as bumper covers and moldings matching the sheet metal..
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Personally I wouldn't even wash my 93 Camry in a commercial car wash. Who knows how much dirt and grime is inbedded in those straps of material that whack your car as you drive through. I prefer the old fashion bucket and old cotton t-shirts. Sponges also trap dirt and act as sand paper when going over the car. The paint is the same on the bumpers and the car. The material is different. There are cases that I've seen "yellowing" of bumpers and color keyed mudguards on Pearl white Toyotas. These were handled by the dealerships body shop as they were an obvious defect from the factory. Have you contacted your selling dealer?
    :)
    Mackabee
  • chodiechodie Member Posts: 13
    I have an 06 with exactly the same problems. Only 1500 miles, but I am going to discuss them with my dealer when I take in for service at 3000 miles. I understand that Toyota says all this is normal!
    I wouldn't wash a kia in a commercial car wash, but I would use a hand held wand car wash. Do you think this method is to harsh for the avalons finish. I've used this method for over thirty years and have never had it to peel the paint off a car, including flexible bumpers. You said that some cleaning products are not to be use on flexible bumpers. Im wondering how these products get through the paint to affect the bumper material. My question is the same as in post # 9659. With all due respect...Also the dealer is repainting my bumper... Thanks
  • jbramanjbraman Member Posts: 8
    Have used Zaino for the last several years and am still amazed!

My Avalon XLS is now 2 months old and was ordered 1 month before.................could find no reference to waxing, regarding a certain interval after build.....................would very much like to "Zaino", before Winter, here in Indiana.

Any opionions??

Thanks in advance.

jeffb :)
  • jbramanjbraman Member Posts: 8
    54 in ten days.(1951 Model) 1999 Cadillac SLS )previous)

2001 Acura MDX (Wife)
    1997 Camaro Z28 (Oldest Son)
    2000 Acura Integra (Youngest Son)

1997 Ford Explorer bought for oldest son and passed along............now FOR SALE!

(own em all :cry: )

jeffb
  • gbinplanogbinplano Member Posts: 65
    I received the following from Sal Zaino when I asked him the same question as I had my Limited delivered:

"I am a custom painter by trade for over thirty years.
    I am very familar with Dupont and PPG and all other paints.

Todays paint technology uses a chemical reaction caused by a catalyst
    to cure the paint. Factory paint is fully cured in 36 to 48 hours.

Zaino contains no Wax, Harmful Silicones or Abrasives.....

The funny thing is that this same dealer who tells you to wait 30 days
    before waxing, usually puts a coat of wax on your car when he preps
    it. Sounds a little contradicting. Don't you think???

Polish your car as soon as you get it. That factory paint is already
    cured and needs protection against airborne contaminants and UV rays.
    "

I applied five layers of Zaino in June and will reapply two layers next month. Even with the harsh sun here in Texas, the finish still feels wet!

Greg Brown
  • rea49rea49 Member Posts: 1
    I am 50 and just got my third Avalon. Passed 2000 XLS on to son, passed 2004 Avalon XLS on to another son. They wouldn't hear of us trading them in when we got new cars:) Sons are 28 and 23 years old. They are proud owners of their Avalons also. One son is 6'7" and the other is 6'2" and they have room to spare unlike any other car they/we have ever had.