Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    What's the resolution of your check engine/fuel cap loose message?
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    Thanks for the info. Yes, we received the same letter. I think this software upgrade fix was the first thing the dealer tried on our first visit with this problem. The light came back on within a week. So that didn't fix it.

After my wife took the car in for the third time for the same problem, I think the dealer just stopped trying altogether. The diagnosis that came back on her service ticket reads "Please tighten gas cap". Wonderful! We apparently forgot how to fill up the tank after owning the car for 4 years.

It just happened again this week. Same as before, when the tank was about 1/4 full. I've been too busy at work lately to stop by the dealer. I'll go buy a new gas cap first chance I get. It should be covered under warranty, but this is so not worth my time.
    Just a quick update. I took the car in again for a few other warranty items. I asked them to replace the gas tank cap under warranty as the problem has recurred so many times. And they did. The new cap has a different color than the old one, but as long as it fits. Let's see whether this fixes the problem.

For the Passenger Airbag Off problem, I did some research online and asked them to look at tech service bulletins 8844 and 8845. They ended up doing a "Service Kit (OWS) passenger seat install". Don't know what that means.
  • idvolvoidvolvo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a used Volvo XC90 and I am having the same #2 problem with the signal light that you have. If anyone knows what the problem is, I would appreciate it.
    Let us know if the new fuel tank cap seems to be working.
  • nghngh Member Posts: 1
    I also have seen many of these issues on my 2003 XC90. At 51K the heated seats stopped working, the ball joints needed replacement, and the electronic control module for the traction control went bad. At 57K miles the plug between the transmission and the axle fell out internally and mixed the oils. This was a $2,000 repair. At 60K miles the transmission needed replaced $4,800. Now at 63K the remaining ball joints need replaced, the chain drive seals need replaced, the rear sway bar bushings need replaced and the exhaust pipe brackets rusted out and also need replaced. All of this is again over $2,000 to repair. Volvo paid for the parts only on the transmission, with no help on any of the other issues. Warrenty ends at 50,000 miles. There are a few other issues not listed but all in all over $10,000 in repairs on this poorly designed lemon in the last year. Absolutlly get extended warrentys when available. The amazing issue is that the brand is not taking responsibility for the common problems, all of which that in this era of cars these type of things do not wear out in 60K. and is just driving customers away. I will never purchase another Volvo and will make a point to make anyone considering a Volvo to not make the purchase.
  • barbara16barbara16 Member Posts: 15
    we have an 03 that just had its second transmission replacement and it still is not right.Absolutly unbelieve that a car with less than 50, 000 miles has its THIRD transmission, and lots of expensive problems; fuel pump, steering, tie rods, and the list goes on.
    got stuck in nyc last month (went home in a tow truck) and want to replace the rolling turd. sent a letter to the dealer about our disgust with volvo and heard back from them trying to convince us to purchase an 09, they will give us a great deal. LOL! Anyone out there hear any problems with 09s. What is good price in this economy? Should we run and not look bac?k??
  • silverspork1silverspork1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering buying an 08 xc90 3.2 AWD and I live in Denver. I have two questions that I would appreciate any opinions on:

1) is the 3.2 too underpowered, for example for trips to the mountains
    2) I am reading so many bad things about reliability, if I buy a 2008 can expect a maintenance nightmare?
  • suja1suja1 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '05, so I can only speak to that year's model, but we just had to have the transmission replaced at 67K. The dealer picked up the part and we paid the labor, which ended up being about $1600. The whole thing was $4900.

I have not had other problems, but what a problem to have!

It IS underpowered. My husband drives a BMW and the difference between the two...well...I might as well be driving...something far less expensive.

I don't want to tell you this car is a lemon, because like I said, it has not given us tons of problems, but a replaced transmission at 67K???!!!

AND yes, it is underpowered.

Good decision making!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,890
    Well, unfortunately for suja1 and all others who purchased a T6 model, they got stuck with a GM transmission. The trans in all other models, including the 3.2 is NOT from GM and failures are not common.

As for power, we have "the lowest-powered model" with a 2.5T AWD. And, frankly, this truck is plenty quick. It is my wife's 4th SUV and it is the fastest so far (previous were a Subaru Forester, Honda Pilot, and Chrysler Pacifica). Yet, it gets better gas mileage than the 2 on that list that were comparable in size. So we are extremely happy with it.

So far, the maintenance issues have consisted of wheel bearings. Both rears went bad with less than 30k miles on the truck, and now one of the fronts is bad at 33k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• smjb08smjb08 Member Posts: 2
    I know this reply to your initial message is 2 years later, however I have had my '08 Volvo XC90 since Feb 2008 and this same "stuck in Park" problem AND the key gets stuck in the ignition. I just brought my car into the dealer this morning for the 3rd time. The first time, they "could not reproduce the problem" but they did a computer upgrade to the A/C and gave me the car back. The second time (which by the way was 2-3 weeks ago) they said there was a faulty ignition switch and they got a new one from Volvo and installed it. This morning, I had a feeling it was going to happen again because it was 40 degrees outside and this has happened when the temperature gets below 60 degrees, I noticed that when I stepped on the brake, the brake lights did NOT go on and I was unable to get the gear shift out of Park. Once the car warmed up (about 5 minutes) and I stepped on the brake, I was then able to shift the car. Once the car was in drive, I had no problem driving it back to the dealership to tell them of the problem AGAIN. When I got to the dealership, I was able to turn the car off, but, I could not get the key out of the ignition. I was actually happy that happened because they could see I was not making this story up!! I am hoping that this time they will solve the problem, however I wanted to write to you just to find out if you ever resolved this issue with you vehicle? Thanks.
    hmmm... sounds like 2 problems to me. The brake lights not going on and not being able to get out of park are obviously related. The car is not sensing you are on the brake, so will not let you shift.

The key getting stuck would normally indicate an ignition switch, but since they changed that already, I would ask them to make you a new key and see if that works.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• smjb08smjb08 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your response. Interestingly enough, the dealership called me about an hour ago and said that even after making a new key, the problem with the ignition switch still occurred. They have decided to keep the vehicle and what until Volvo sends them another ignition switch, install it and then see what happens. My guess is that I'll be getting a new key as well.

Still don't know what the gear shift problem is though.
    You did tell them about no brakelights, right?
    That should indicate a faulty brake switch.

Just an update, the new gas cap seems to be doing the trick. The warning light hasn't come on since the cap was replaced. I will post again if it recurs. Thanks for all the suggestions!
    no problem. glad it worked.

Useful report; it adds to the collective database of faults and fixes,
  • craigw1craigw1 Member Posts: 5
    My local dealer has a package to prepay for the next 4 services for my XC90 at 37.5K, 45K, 52.5K, and 60K at $1700. Do you think this is a good deal?

I'm not sure how much I'm saving, because I can't tell how much each service costs?

This would just be for the services, this does not imply an extended warranty.
  • iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    I'm going to look at an 06 2.5T AWD w/36k today. Are there any specific areas to be concerned about with this model?
  • ses76ses76 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I'm hoping someone can help! We purchased a
    04 XC90 in sept. of '07. Since we've owned it we've noticed a whistling noise from, apparently, the roof/roof rack. It's just annoying...I hardly notice it but it's been driving my husband crazy and then two of his coworkers recently were in the car and commented. Now he's extremely annoyed!
    Does anyone know anything about this noise or how to fix it???
    Thanks in advance!
    Our '07 XC90 has no whistle from the roof rails, but we don't have any crossbars on. If you do have crossbars on, then you could try shifting the positions to see if that helps. If it doesn't help, then remove the crossbars and see if the whistle disappears. This should allow you to determine the exact spot of the whistling. If it is where the roofrails attach to the roof, then you could probably use some small strips of duct tape to determine the place where the whistling originates and then use some black silicone in a tube (RTV) to seal the spot.

I would say try blowing on likely spots with a leafblower, but the horrendous noise of the leafblower would probably drown out any whistle.
    The only common problem I am aware of on this model (and one that I've personally encountered twice now) are the wheel bearings. So be mindful of any droning noises. But it is covered under warranty, so you'd be OK for a little while on an '06 with 36k.

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    There is a plastic piece that covers up the end of the roof rails where they meet the roof.
    Chances are, one of these peices needs replacing.
    Take it to a Volvo dealer and have them look at it.
  • barbara16barbara16 Member Posts: 15
    It is time for our 03 XC90 headaches to end. We have been looking at Jeeps and Enclaves. Our local Volvo dealer also sells Buicks and is trying to persuade us back into another XC90 rather than an Enclave. I would love to know what he is not telling us, but that is never going to happen. Anyone out there know if Volvo has resolved all problems with the 08/09 models??? (transmissions, front end, etc) Please help if you can.
    The trade in for a loaded 03 with 49,000 miles in good condition is $9000. That really does not sound like fair price considering we thought we would be driving it for a few more years, but unfortunately the turd must go.
    Another XC90????
    As for transmission, they no longer use the 4-speed GM unit that is at the center of all the early XC90 tranny troubles.

I don't know of what front end problems you speak.

As gbrozen said, the GM tranny that caused all the problems is no longer used.
    The XC90 as a whole has been updated quite a bit since your 03 was built.
    As for the value of yours, please keep in mind that the value of ALL used SUV's has gone into the tank and isn't likely to recover.
    If you do want another SUV, I would suggest leasing.
  • jon40jon40 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having what sounds like the same problem. From cold it makes a road-speed related clicking sound under acceleration. It stops when it's been driven for less than a mile. It's quite a load noise when you listen from outside the car (with the window down). Mechanic hasn't been able to spot anything. Oddmanrush - did you ever find out what was going on?

Cheers!
  • barberfamilybarberfamily Member Posts: 11
    Our stereo keeps turning completely off with no power for no reason. Has anyone else had this problem. It will start back playing if we turn off the vehicle and restart it but how long it lasts varies before it turns off again. Any suggestions to fix without spending huge costs. We have already had the transmission replaced at 32 thousand miles and the vehicle right now only has 46 thousand miles.
  • ashmueliashmueli Member Posts: 1
    Regarding transmission failures and transmission manufacturers.

Our car is a 5 cyl XC90. Perhaps our transmission is not GM, and perhaps we "should not" have any issues, but our transmission is on its way to failure. We've had the warning light come up (a year after the warrantee expired, but at less than 50k miles) indicating metal shavings in the transmissions. The dealer replaced a broken PVC joint that they found, opened up and flushed the transmission for thousands of $$. Things were good for a year. A year later, the warning light came back, and our current mechanic tells us testing the transmission oil indicates imminent failure and that the transmission should be replaced.

Sounds very similar to the stories of owners of GM transmissions. Owning an XC90 with 5 cylinders does not give you a free pass here.
    Please provide more info on your vehicle. Year? AWD or FWD? Did you buy it new? What dealer did you go to?

I'm trying to figure out why your trans had to be "opened up and flushed for thousands of $$." Do you mean hundreds of $$? Because you could get a new trans for thousands.

Lemme ask you something else for the hell of it. How many gears does your trans have?

• 2004XC90Owner2004XC90Owner Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced electrical problems with their XC 90. During 2008 the electrical on the dash, windows, radio, etc. has gone dead four times on our 2004 XC 90, although the car still starts and drives. It is preceded by error warning signals - both check engine systems and ABS brake failure. This happened again just about two weeks ago and the Volvo dealership claims to have replaced the CEM (central electrical module) but the same error warning lights came on again. We are out of the standard warranty period but in CA the CEM is covered by an extended emissions warranty.
  • mrspracticalmrspractical Member Posts: 5
    Hi. After quite a love affair, my relationship with our 95 740il is ending. We have to break it off because she's just become too high maintenance.

We are looking at an '06 XC90 with 27,000 miles on it or an '06 BMW 540xi with 40,000 miles on it.

The BMW costs several thousand dollars more, and my husband loves it. I really like everything about the XC90 and the fact that it costs less is a bonus.

How do the two vehicles compare regarding reliability and maintenance costs in the future? (FYI - we are the second owner of the 740il and have had it for 8 years....we plan to keep whatever we buy for quite a while...)

Thanks for your help.
    Sorry...I guess I have "40" on the brain....its a 530xi....but I bet you probably knew that....
    thanks..
    The BMW 530xi is a sedan, right? This will serve an entirely different function than a Volvo XC90 SUV. If you don't need an SUV, then get the 530xi. If you need an SUV (high ground clearance, room for trips, etc.,), then get the XC90.

What is the fuel efficiency of the 530xi--city/highway mpg estimates?
    the 530xi is wagon with AWD...the gas mileage is better on the 530xi ..20 something...the xc90 is 17 and 22...
  • skimbearskimbear Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2005 XC90. The "prepaid maintenance service" has expired, so I longer take the vehicle to the dealer for maintenace. How do I reset the "Time for Scheduled Maintenace" message? The dealer told me that this can only be done at the dealer with a computer at a cost of $50. Is this true. If so, this is really impractical. On other vehicles, you can easily reset yourself. Why would Volvo do this?
  • jliiijliii Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have an '05 xc90 w/ 65k miles at the end of a lease. thinking about buying it. Has anyone had major issues with transmission or other high cost maintenance items?
  • jliiijliii Member Posts: 3
    I've taken my XC90 to Jiffy Lube for oil changes and they can reset it so it can be done. That's garbage that the dealer wanted to charge $50.
  • suja1suja1 Member Posts: 3
    If I were you, I would NOT buy this car. I have an '05 xc 90 with 68K miles and I just had to replace the transmission. Thankfully, the dealer paid the part and I paid the labor, but it still set me back $1600. This is a universal problem. Do a search of the internet and you will hear story after story. Nightmare after nightmare. Don't buy it unless you are prepared to buy a new transmission in the next few months.
    Well, you, suja, have a T6. This poster has a 2.5T. Completely different transmission.

jliii, I personally would not hesitate to buy the vehicle. It DOES have a couple of issues, like wheel bearings that seem to need replacement on a regular basis. But, other than that, I don't foresee any big problems with ours, nor have I read any consistent reports out of the ordinary for this particular model.

• rathi60rathi60 Member Posts: 5
    Both brands are costly to maintain. xc90 T6 as the transmission issues to deal with but not in this case. Said that I prefer to have the extended warranty on any european premium brands. MDX and FX are great choices for long term reliability. Good Luck
  • mhackettmhackett Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just bought a 2007 XC90 3.2 with 35K miles on it. We love the vehicle but when the A/C is on it makes a whine similar to a worn power steering pump. This is the second 2007 XC90 we have driven for a couple of days and both of them had this same issue. I was just wondering if this is A) Normal and if not then B) is it a common fix others have made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    My wife's 2007 XC90 3.2 with 19 kmi on it does not make any such sound, and it would be intolerable.

Are you saying it sounds like a belt squealing? Is the sound coming from the compressor in the engine compartment or rather from the air handing system inside the passenger compartment?

In any case it needs repair.
  • helpseekerhelpseeker Member Posts: 2
    2006 xc90 42000 miles. When trying to heat the car, it blows warm for 3 or 4 seconds, then cold for 3 or 4 seconds/ The pattern continues. Any idea what this could be?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My first guess would be a thermostat is not working properly.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • helpseekerhelpseeker Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. That was one of the things that crossed my mind. I appreciate the input.
  • abvbyndabvbynd Member Posts: 10
    HI...we have a 2005 XC90 with the V8. The V8 has a completly different transmission and we have nearly 60K and have never had a problem. We run synthetic trans fluid and also synthetic engine oil (and have since the first 500 miles). I do know however that there were many problems with the T6 trans (my sister has had several problems), it was the GM trans. The V8 trans (6 speed), is working great. No other issues with the vehicle and a,so no problems (except a problem iwth the Navigation system loosing our position, will take to Volvo for warranty). WOuld recommend trying the Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge tires for the 19" wheels...they are great in dry, wet and snow (my borther-in-law) now uses them and doesn't have to change to Blizzaks during the winter. The V8 has been a great engine. I do recommend running synthetic oild thought, we had a 1985 760 Turbo that had nearly 500,000 miles on the engine with no problems and we ran only synthetic oil. We also have a 1998 S70 T5, with over 150,000 miles that we've only used synthetic oil in....it really helps the engines last and increases gas mileage. The dealer always puts in our synthetic oil as I bring for every service!
  • onawhimonawhim Member Posts: 9
    I also have been extremely happy with my 2005 XC90 V8. In fact, I love this car. I just had it detailed and it is just like brand new. I have about 65,000 miles and aside from a couple of minor recalls and some air conditioning software issues that were easily handled, the car has been problem free. I'd love to get better mileage and will try the synthetic oil next time. I would buy this car all over again. :)
  • campn_gurlcampn_gurl Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2007 XC90 in December. Totally love my car but the suspension is a bit softer than I prefer. Any suggestions as to firm it up a bit?
    Heico makes a sport suspension kit for the XC90.
    heicosportivna.com