Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hongzhong2hongzhong2 Member Posts: 5
    My 2006 XC90 V8 has the Michelin tires and has 16k miles on them. Although the tires still have good amount of thread left, one of the tires is keep losing pressure and I have to put in air every 2 weeks. I brought my car to a Volvo dealer and the technician didn't find out anything after the water test. The dealer was saying the tire may have some crack and need to be replace at my own cost since the tire not in the warranty. Should I get a new tire and should I try different dealers to see if they could fix the problem? The car is less than a year old, is it possible to make the dealer to cover the cost if the tire needs to be replaced?
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Try a tire shop to find the air leak. The tire can be repaired for sure.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    lame response from the dealer. I agree, go to a qualified tire shop and let us know what they found.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Volvo doesn't warranty tires, so if there is a leak, you will have to pay for the replacement.
    If the leak is due to a defect in the tires manufacture, Michelin would have to cover it.
  • hongzhong2hongzhong2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I will try some tire shop and keep you posted.
  • benildabenilda Member Posts: 21
    V8 '05. No tire prob. but a lot of annoying minor defect. Ride is comfy but a lot of click, rattleand a suspension that can't be fix; few weeks ok. another few weeks for the moment it last about two months it's back again for the 4th time. Though the dealership I go to have a very good cu. svc. free rental. The prob. is still here. :lemon:
  • benildabenilda Member Posts: 21
    Very well said, to get ideas. Find a solution or perhaps a closure.
  • chiefstonerchiefstoner Member Posts: 14
    Let me tell you about my last 10k miles. At 53k rack and pinion steering goes, followed by rear sway bars and, yes,
    total transmission failure. Warranty goes to 50k miles.
    Volvo offered very limited assistance. This is a beautiful
    poorly designed SUV. We have had troubles since we first drove off the lot 3 years ago.
  • jondsjonds Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering how things worked out with getting only one tire. I had one bad tire that (slow leak) that wore very quickly, and was told by one tire place that I had to replace them in pairs, but that if there was much wear on the other two tires I needed to get 4 so that I wouldn't wreck the transmission.

Thanks!
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    it is indeed a bad idea to put tires on same axle of an AWD vehicle which are worn differently, one old, one new. it can even be a problem front-to-back on some vehicles, so be happy if you can get away with replacing pairs of tires instead of four at a time on a 4WD.
    to find a nonobvious leak, the tire and wheel can be removed and placed underwater at max pressure. this is a sure way to find the leak. also there is the possibility that it is the wheel leaking air not the tire.
  • delta767delta767 Member Posts: 2
    All four Pirelli Scorpion tires bald at 14,000 Miles.. Dealer Contacted Pirelli and were replaced same day as good will gesture... no quetions asked... however they replaced with Scorpion STR (Different Tread Pattern)...

Pirelli knows they have a major problem with the performance of the tires... Am dissapointed that Volvo continues to deal with known defects..

Kudos to the Service Manager for getting this resolved fast!
  • jfrosadojfrosado Member Posts: 1
    I could have written your message verbatim. Did you get any good advise as to how to deal with it?

JR
  • ajp00ajp00 Member Posts: 17
    I have an '06 V8 XC90 and the lock on gas tank will not unlock no matter how many times you push the botton on the console. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, any solutions? I am running out of gas and since I can't unlock the tank door, I guess I have to go to the dealer, unless anyone has any suggestions. Thanks
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    You can unlock the gas door.
    Remove the panel on the right side of the rear fo the XC90.
    You will see the shaft for the gas door.
    Pull on it and you can open the gas door.
  • phl1phl1 Member Posts: 8
    you definitely have the right service manager. Hopefully your problem is solved. What year is your XC90? How would you rate the new tires?

Its surprising that the dealer/manufacturer response to this well-known problem is so uneven. Some customers are treated well, but many are not taken care of. So, Volvo saves the wholesale cost of a set of tires, but risks losing a customer. Personally, once the warranty is over, my XC90 will be traded for a brand that understands customer service.
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    I believe that in California its 30 calendar days or same problem for 3 time for the lemon law. I think its money back or replacement from the manufacture. With all the negatives from others as well as to my own, I wouldn't take a replacement. It would be money back.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've opened a brand new topic to discuss any tire wear problems with the XC90, and I've move a post or two over there to jump-start the new discussion.

Please direct any comments or suggestions about XC90 tire wear to this new topic!

Volvo XC90: Unusual Tire Wear Issues

Thank you!

MrShiftright
    Host
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    No, it's not my kids.
    I have an '04 T5 with about 28k miles
    It has been relatively trouble free. Lately however, I am getting a fairly loud whining/humming noise when I'm cruising in the 30-50 mph range. It sounds like I have snow tires but I have the original Michelins that came with the vehicle. Not sure if it's tires or transmission. Tires are wearing but look ok.
    Any ideas?
  • phl1phl1 Member Posts: 8
    Could be a wheel bearing. Mine went at 30K. I'm not the only one.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Sure are the wheel bearings. Mine had the same symptoms. Had 3 changed in 40K miles.
  • 44ad44ad Member Posts: 12
    You are not alone. My wife's 05 XC90 (bought 11/04, 21K miles) is in the shop as of this morning for third or fouth time in last five months for complete electrical system failure. "Fortunately" for us, its a "don't start in the morning problem." They have replaced multiple harnesses, computers, etc. w/o ever finding real problem - even with Volvo technical service rep looking at it. I have suggested to dealer that they simply rip every wire/computer, etc. in the car out and start from scratch. This should be my last post on this forum, as wife has laid down ultimatum. Will shortly be trading it on something reliable - probably a Toyota Land Cruiser - read their problems and solutions forum There's a lot I like about the Volvo (this is my fourth and last Volvo - I now drive an Audi as personal vehicle - a great car!), but the total unreliability for a Mom with 5 & 7 year olds in school and traveling husband does it in. I will never buy another Volvo again. They've lost us.
  • charm1charm1 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Volvo xc90 was sloshing too, and of course the dealer has never heard of this problem, even though I see many postings on the net. I went to my local NONDEALER guy and he found the right front "cowl drain tube," which is a 2 piece tube, was disconnected and pouring water into the car every time it rained hard. The sloshing that sounds like it's in your floorboard or your door is actually in the carpets of the passenger area! He pulled the carpet back and found it was SOAKED. Also, there is a thick foam pad under the carpet, which makes it nearly impossible to dry out. Volvo wants $245 for the carpet replacement on just the passenger side. But to replace it entails labor, removing all the seats. As the bill was creeping upwards from about $600, we decided to have them tilt it slightly forward on the lift so the water would all come forward. We then shop vac'd it out as best as possible, repaired the hose - of course - and we are going to trade it in VERY SOON! I've never been so disappointed in a "luxury" vehicle, ever. Slow pick-up, floaty ride, windy noises, windows have to be put up twice to seal them, rained on me due to moon roof drains clogged... hmmm sounds luxurious to me. As my repair guy said, "anymore it's just a badge," referring to the brand name.
  • martyfmartyf Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 XC90, 2.5. In my quiet garage at work I hear a low grinding noice when turning left. I can't hear it normally and I don't hear the noice when turning right. The dealer says that they could not find the noice; however, they also had 2 other customers complain about the same thing. Anybody experience this and know what it is or have any thoughts? Thanks.
  • house5house5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi "Interested" - any resolution to your problems with the mildew smell last year? I ask because I have a 2006 S40 and I'm having the same problem. There is a terrible mildew smell coming from the vents. It's there with AC or heat. My fan is on constantly. It is so bad, that I won't let anyone ride in my car - my brand new car! It's just driving me crazy.
    Any help is appreciated!
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    Do you hear the noise when turning the wheel ALL THE WAY to the left? Are you applying the brakes when you hear the noise?

I have a 2005 2.5T with a similar problem. I hear a fairly loud rubbing noise when turning the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, with my foot on the brakes. It usually happens at very low speed such as pulling into a parking spot. It's not the tires squeaking (which I also hear). Took it to the dealer once, and of course they claimed they couldn't hear it.
    The noice is not loud and I only hear it when turning all the way left in a quiet garage. I don't have the brakes on and I do not hear it when turning right. Next oil change I will have them look at it again and emphasize they need to check it in a quiet environment.
    We had to replace our rack and pinion steering when turning the wheel it made a similar sound.
  • mingchihmingchih Member Posts: 5
    Hi

I bought a 2006 XC90 2.5T. It had sort like rattle noise from second row seat while I am driving. I went to repair at least 3 time without success. Does anyone have the same problem ? I try to find the source of noise. I think it is from the seat belt base which has other metal parts attach on the base part. When car is moving then these metal parts would coilide..... it is quite annoying problem when drive long distance..... :(:(
  • skimbearskimbear Member Posts: 20
    How did you get the dealer to replace the rack and pinion? I have a 2005 XC90 and hear the same noise. Based on the many postings here, this is a common problem.
  • volvoalabamavolvoalabama Member Posts: 3
    I have a volvo SUV, and am extremely disappointed. I have had to have both front door locks replaced because they continued to come unlocked after being locked. My CD player is now displaying a "track error" message and will not play, nor eject any of my CDs. The inside door pull on the passenger side has come off. The carpet in the front, on the passenger side, has come loose. Worst of all, my car continues to have start problems. Despite several trips to the dealer, they cannot find the problem. After the car is jumped off, it will start without any apparent problems for weeks or months, then non start again. Once I received a message on the message screen "unsuccessful start, please try again." After about 15 minutes the car did start. The dealer will not provide me with a loaner car nor will they pay for rental cars. I have small children and carpool all day long from event to event, and they seem completely unconcerned with the problem this car is causing me. Volvo International (or whatever the name of the company) tells me that each time my car doesn't start, instead of having it jumped off, I should have it towed, or they cannot consider it an event. Also, Volvo says that once the car has been started, they consider that the problem has been solved. So, basically, there is nothing they are going to do about this. My Volvo SUV is a 2005, and is apparently a lemon. I had another Volvo years ago which was nothing but problems, and I don't know why I let my guard down again. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
  • volvoalabamavolvoalabama Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 XC 90 has a won't start in the morning problem, too. I have 3 kids, all of whom play sports, etc. I continue to take it to the dealer, and they continue to find nothing wrong. I have had to replace the battery twice, just to see if that would help. Now, Volvo says that instead of having it jumped off, so that I can go about my day, I should have it towed for evaluation each time. The last two times, they found nothing. They won't pay for me a rental car, and they don't give me a loaner car. They say "we have a shuttle." Really, will the shuttle take me to the grocery store, to pick the kids up from school, to football practice, swim lessons, etc. I'm guessing the answer to that is "No." I, like your wife, am fed up. I hate to lose the money in the car by trading in so early on, but I can't take the unreliability.
    The dealership said from the noise when we turned the wheel
    that the rack and pinion was going. That it was a matter of time. The cost was 1800.00. We were at 53k miles, 3 past the warranty! They gave us a deal - we pay 500.00
    to replace the r&p.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    mingchih, is the noise a single "plink" noise that happens every hour or so? if it's more than that, it's different than a pesky little noise that our 04 xc90 2.5T makes inside sometimes. personally i consider noises like that to be a minor annoyance, not a "make or break" sort of problem.
  • jrattojratto Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if your Volvo XC90 complete electrical system failure occurred while you were driving your car? This is what happened to me twice and it was very scarry because I couldn't control the steering wheel very well and could have been hit by cars. Did Volvo ever find out the cause of the problem? I am taking my car into Volvo tomorrow to see if they can figure out the cause of the problem. Also, did the Volvo dealer charge you for trying to figure out the problem? Please let me know. Thank you for your help. Jennifer
    So, I give up to the dealer to fix the noise problem. I think the noise is coming from second row center seat. I use some foams to put between part and hopefully the noise will stop. That is all I can do now :mad:
    The noise is continues.... even the Volvo repair adviser heard it when we drove around... they took out the whole second seat without finding the problem... so... i give up now...
  • exvolvoownerexvolvoowner Member Posts: 2
    The Volvo dealer would not even buy our fully loaded 2005 XC90 T6, that is what a piece of junk the XC90s are and Volvo knows it!

We have 6 cars including Ferraris, Hondas, Jeeps, Pontiacs. Volvo buyer beware, the only thing good about the XC90 is the ride quality. However ride quality does not matter when the driveshaft fails(twice), the left front strut fails(twice), tires wore out at 20k miles, and the left front axel seal failed which leaked all the oil out. Not to mention little things like the defroster barely works(and also failed) and the seat heaters mysteriously turn on. Then there are the interior ergonometric issues - try taking a family to McDonalds, there is no place to put stuff. I emailed Volvo a 65 item list, and suggested they require their engineers to drive a Toyota or Honda for 6 months of ergonometric research before starting the next interior redesign.

We put up with the XC90(for 35,000 miles and 18mo), the final straw was when we were leaving for a family vacation and the axel seal failed – leaving us stranded on the freeway. I would not trust this car any farther than I could throw it. After we were stranded, my wife and I went out the next day and purchased a Toyota Sequoia. We are now in HEAVEN – everything works, nothing breaks.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I also have a rattle from the second seat area. I have tried to get it fixed at 7.5K and 15K service. They said they could not hear it at either service. After the 7.5K I drove the tech around and he heard it but I did not want to leave the car to they tried again at 15K with no luck. You can hear the noise when going over RR tracks or minor bumps in road. I hear it all the time and I don't have good hears. Present plan is to drive the tech around WHEN I take it in for the 22.5K service.
    Em
  • zkaudiozkaudio Member Posts: 60
    man I have the rattle too... 07, xc90 it sounds like it's coming from the door handles... i hearit in the passenger door and in the rear somewhere... I assume the driver side door handle in the back seat... sometimes the speakers make it rattle even.
    I heard a similar rattle this weekend. I think one of the rear seats was not completely locked. I moved each seat and backrest forward and then back and the rattle went away.
  • helenozeehelenozee Member Posts: 1
    I too have experienced many, many problems with my XC-90. Mine is a 2006 V8. The regional mgr. has told me they will replace it as a lemon since it was in the shop for 35 days in the first 7 months I had it, but they are dragging their feet, apparently to take it to the point (18 months) where they won't have to take it back. It is now making the turning left noise (I think the same one I've been reading about here) and it has a PUTRID smell at times for a few minutes after starting. When I start it, the cooling fan races at 100% for a couple minutes, so loud that if you're standing outside the car talking you can barely hear. The A/C's gone out twice, and the fan and smell problem started after they fixed it. They've already replaced the entire computer systems in the car, engine contol module, central electrical unit for the engine and transmission, software control module, etc. When I took it in the first time for the smell, they told me they found a dead rat (rat, not mouse) in there. Although I couldn't figure out how this could happen, I believed them and the smell was gone for a while. The smell is back now, and my brother-in-law mechanic says no way, they were pulling my leg. I can drive for hours stopping and starting at different places, then all of a sudden the next time I start it the smell will be so bad I have to open the window until it goes away. Anyone else experience this? Could it be mold? An attorney told me (I'm a court reporter in Nevada) that they will give me a new next year model and just sub it out. The regional guy wants me to pay usage for the time I've had it to the tune of $500 a month, and then he will credit me for my down and monthly payments. I told the attorney, and he said if you do mileage at all it should be IRS standard of 38 cents per mile. The regional guy said he didn't know about that but he would cut the usage fee in half. He's also not rolling it into my old loan but telling me no way the bank will accept a substitution of collateral so I need to get a new loan (at a higher rate) and essentially buy a new car and use the credit as a down. The attorney says why would the bank not want a newer car to replace an older one for collateral.

This is all very frustrating. I am very unhappy with Volvo at this point and not even sure I should get a new one. The JD Power list of reliability in cars has Volvo way down near the bottom of the list (about six or seven makes under Found On Road Dead [Ford]) They never showed me that when I bought the car, just the list that said it had such great value retention.

I never thought I'd buy a 50,000 dollar car, and now I have and it's had more problems in the first 10 months now than any car I've ever bought has had in the first several years of owning them. How ridiculous is that?? :lemon:
    Please let me know if they will be able to find and fix the noise :):)
  • lmc22lmc22 Member Posts: 1
    I also have the '06 XC90 2.5T I have the same noise only in the one seat on the passenger side (second row) and had someone else drive while I sat in the middle of the second row. It does sound like it's coming from under the seatbelt base (passenger side)
    I have noticed though that it does not make this noise when the seat is folded down flat(have kids that use the third row so I sometimes leave seat folded flat for easier entry)and it doesn't make the noise if someone is sitting in the seat or have a heavy bag or box on the seat. It also seems to stop if the seat is upright but pulled all the way forward in the track. It is a mystery and annoying because most of the time I'm driving with the second row in the normal configuration and it's a constant rattling!!
    No. Problem was it would not start in morning. After almost three weeks at dealer this time (and untold thousands in warranty service costs), they are about 50% confident that problem lay with the DVD rear seat entertainment system, which was replaced - all this was done under warranty, and as soon as dealer had a spare loaner, we had one. I must say that despite prior bad experiences with some aspects of Volvo service, dealer treated me very well on this one. Still car will soon be leaving our family. Bottom line is that because this is intermittent problem, they cannot be sure they have fixed it.
    See post # 876. Our repairing dealer treated us much better than that. And on a car this new you should never have to pay for a new battery - that's a warranty replacement when this happens. Have your dealer call in the Volvo Field Service Rep - they are pretty good.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    That's odd, my 04 is solid as a bank vault, no rattle.
  • bryangmdbryangmd Member Posts: 27
    I once had s similar issue with a Chrysler. The dealer could never hear it and I drove around with him all day until I took it into a parking garage with the windows down. He finally heard it. It turned out to be a weakness it the metal on the floorboard. It was essentially buckling some when I made sharp turns! They then seemed to think it wasn't a warranty issue because it was either a fabrication of metal weakness. I had to get Chrysler Corporate involved.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I had that rattle too on the drivers side door. It took 3 trips with them completely taking the door apart and padding the inside with something? All around the lock mechanism. They even took me back to the service area while they were doing it. Finally the service manager noticed that I had been in like 3 times within 2 weeks maybe? He rode with a mechanic and I both in the car to figure out where the noise was coming from. It was coming from the door handle. They padded around the inside of the door handle and no more sounds. It's started on the passenger side now but I can deal with that. I don't ride over there often:) I also had the sound in the rear middle seat also but it resolved itself and I never hear it anymore. Hope this helps.
  • island2island2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there fellow XC90 owners. Decided to join the crowd to share my experience. So far I have been in 3 times: 2 times for check engine light that went on due to the thermostat opening too soon. Initially, the dealer just reset the light - the same problem resurfaced the next day. I came in and they actually replaced it. It did not reappear as yet.
    The third visit was for a shifter not shifting gears. Last Saturday, I pulled over by the store, shifted to park and turned towards my kids in the back as they were getting ready to exit. I almost hit the lady in front of the car as it remained on drive and started rolling! Somehow in all of that I was sane enough to drive it right to the dealer avoiding the need to back up and not turning it off. Apparently the pulley that connects the shifter and transmission slipped off the bracket. I have to say, as much as I love the way this car rides and looks, I’m afraid I will regret buying it.