Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    We're still enjoying the new M35 sport tremendously. So far, no issues other than what my previous post indicatied.

To each is own regarding the "M" vs. the RL. (I already made my decision.)

BTW, I was considering the GS, 530i, STS, A6 vs. the RL.
  • bvteshbvtesh Member Posts: 8
    I am in the market for these two cars + Lexus GS AWD and the due to arrive BMW 530xi. While the M35x has great features, an Acura generally has better resale value, if that matters at all. If you can wait, BMW is due out next month.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Yeah $54K seemed a bit lofty to me. Doesnt the M require the premium to go above $52?

Bvtesh, since when does the RL have better residual than the M? Last time I checked, one car can command MSRP, and one cant. When you're selling at a discount, thats going to hurt residuals, plain and simple.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    I wanted the rear sunshade, but I do not have any desire for the rear seat dvd entertainment center. (premium package)

It "seems" that it would be "logical" if the dvd entertainment center/system would be available via an option with only itself. I can see where it would be nice to have if you have kids, but I would also think that it would probably be the least requested of all the options over all. Many people would like the rear sun shade.

The rear sunshade should be available with the journey package or as standard equipment.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "It "seems" that it would be "logical" if the dvd entertainment center/system would be available via an option with only itself."

It is available by itself, I think.
  • sdcalsdcal Member Posts: 16
    After weeks of research, the M45 seems to be the car for me. Still undecided between the Sport and non-Sport. Interestingly enough, the two salesmen that I have spoken to have "casually" tried to steer me toward the M35??? I am guessing that there's lower maargins on the M45, but can't say for sure.

Any guesses why the Infiniti salesmen might favor the M35?

Also, it seems that the Tech package is pretty steep versus going with the Journey package and adding the Nav. system (saving $2700). The 5.1 stereo is nice, but do I really want to buy a whole new collection of DVD-A's???
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    The Tech package also adds satellite radio, intelligent cruise control, and the jury-is-still-out lane departure warning system.
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    "When you're selling at a discount, thats going to hurt residuals, plain and simple."

FYI...although I have decided against the Acura and am favoring the M35 or the GS300, the dealerships here in Atlanta are not budging much from MSRP. I am interested to see what happens next year with pricing for all three models.......
    "The rear sunshade should be available with the journey package or as standard equipment."

I am so glad to hear that someone else feels this way. I know many people do not feel the sunshade is a big deal, however I live in Atlanta and it gets very hot, so this would be a nice feature. I don't understand why Infinity did not offer the Sunshade as a stand-alone option or include it in one of the other packages.

I too, am not interested in the DVD Entertainment system or some of the other options in the Premium package...I would be happy with Journey and Tech packcages-just wish I could get the sunshade too!
    "It is available by itself, I think."

I know the DVD Entertainment is available on it's own, however the Sunshade is not.....
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Just wondering if the ride on the Sport version is really that much harsher as compared to the Non-sport version.

Anyone have any first hand experience?
    I drove the M35x and the M45 Sport back to back, and could not really tell that the ride on the Sport version was any harsher. You might want to try the same thing at your dealer to determine this.
  • achadha1achadha1 Member Posts: 65
    wonder what first month sales will look like for the M. Were there any sold in February at all? thanks
  • funguyfunguy Member Posts: 11
    I had black leather on a previous car and would not get it again. Beside the heat, as the leather ages it show more 'cracking' compared to the beige I have now. The cracks on the dark leather look white and stand out more than on my beige leather seats.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    For a variety of reasons, black and white would both be at the bottom of my interior color choices, but if you love it, want it, gotta have it -- I'm fine with that. I think if you're ordering your car, you should "have it your way."

I wish Infiniti, for instance, would offer British racing green pearl as a color -- with the bourbon interior the thing would look rich! I guess for the time being that color will be left to Jaguar, BMW and Audi -- the Japanese don't seem to want to export green cars.

I'm over it, though. Platinum silver looks just hunky dory!
    Another issue I have with black and it's related heat is that everything on the interior of the car will be subject to more heat. On my old Lexus coupe this heat caused the liquid crystal rear-view mirror to fry at the bottom. It was replaced under warranty but still an issue. What other damage could the heat do?

Although the stone interior (with black accents) would be cooler than black, the aluminum looks like it was designed for a younger crowd. Every Lexus, BMW and M-B I've seen with a silver exterior has had a black interior with wood trim. Is this because everyone wants a black interior or is that just the way the car companies produce them.

Maybe an aftermarket company has wood inserts?
    One local dealership sold 4 of their initial allotment of 19. Another dealership which advertised that they had 54 Ms in stock sold 4 over the weekend.

They are selling but I suspect that the luxury car market as a whole is soft. Lexus and Acura are probbaly selling at a similar rate. No one can refinance their home anymore to buy a car.
  • richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    Where are you? City, state? And are the dealers there hinting at dropping the bottom line?

Also - fyi, mortgage rates are still very low, although I don't know if it's ever a good idea to refinance in order to purchase a car!
  • undecided7undecided7 Member Posts: 92
    Based on my reading of the brochure, the rear shade is only available with the premium package, which includes the rear HVAC controls and power seats. I have the same issue - want the shade, but not the other two items.

I even had my dealer confirm this.
    "One local dealership sold 4 of their initial allotment of 19. Another dealership which advertised that they had 54 Ms in stock sold 4 over the weekend."

I expect that some of the current sales are due to the "hype" over the new models. My hope is that once the initial hype is over, the dealers will be more likely to negotiate. We will see....
    I'm going to repeat a question I asked earlier in this forum but no one really addressed. I have been to two separate Infiniti dealers and both salesmen have tried to push me in the direction of the M35 (versus the M45). Statements like "not really sure why ANYONE would pay such a difference for just a V8...," etc. In fact, I got a similar response from the Lexus salesman when I asked to see a GS430 (they only had GS300's on the lot).

Now, call me skeptical, but I don't think that the salesmen were being purely altruistic here, and were just trying to save me money (I can afford either car), so what gives? My guess is that the dealers get more incentives to sell the M35 (i.e. higher profit margin).

Has anyone else experienced the same phenomenon? Any salesmen out there willing to chime in???
  • albertnalbertn Member Posts: 7
    The dealer allotment is in the neighborhood of 70% M35 and 30% M45.

Maybe they just have more M35s to sell.

Albert
    I doubt that the M35 has a higher profit margin. My guess is that the M45 has a higher demand to supply ratio, and they just have more M35s.
  • infinitifaninfinitifan Member Posts: 5
    The M45 has a higher profit margin than the M35! You may afford the M45 but spending $6850 more for just the V8 is of dubious value when you have such a stellar V6. Maybe you should give the salesmen credit for trying to find you the best value for your money.
    It's a nice thought Infinitifan, but the salesmen don't know me from a hole in the wall. They may want to satisfy the customer, but their loyalty is with the dealer (as it should be - that's their job). I suspect there's more to it.

$6850 may seem steep on the surface, but as many have stated, the 3.5 V6 is ubiquitous across the Infiniti and Nissan products, that it drives the cost down.

Besides, if you want the V8, buy it, otherwise you'll feel a let down everytime one passes you on the highway...
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I agree, I've never let a salesman do much more than hand me the keys. I'll pick the car, thanks.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Mark,

Have you seen the bourbon interior? The interior ends up rather "busy" imho. The ceiling is a kins of beige oe ecru and the dash and doors have dark trim. What bothers me the most is that the rosewood clashes with the bourbon. Check it out and see what you think.
  • courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    Acura has always commanded a better residual than Infiniti. The only reason the M is selling at or near list is because it is new, the RL has been out at least 6 months. While the RL is not selling well and can be had at a nice discount it will command a good resale price. Infiniti has had only the G35 lately for good resale, while Acura has had the TSX, TL, MDX and even older RL models still command high resale price. Infiniti needs to prove itself some to compete, not just introduce a new model. If it goes over well and sells like the G35 it will help their image. It will have trouble competing against the GS, RL, A6, BMW5. This is a huge market and the competition is very rough. I am sure Lexus will do very well with their rputation. I think the RL will do well over time, I hope they find a way to increase low end torgue some and add cooled seats. I think way to much is being made of 0-60 times. The RL while a bit slower is plenty fast. It is faster than the E320 which is very adequate. I guess I look past the times and look more at quality. Infiniti needs to prove more to me, Acura has proved themselves over time. Time will tell IMO.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say what some people may be thinking, but don't want to say. I was tempted to mention this the first time you asked, but decided to drop it. I could be wrong though...

It may just be an "image" thing. As awful and stupid as it is, if a person is a minority in a luxury car dealership, a salesperson will oftentimes automatically assume that you can't afford the more expensive car. They will try to steer you to the lesser car to (in their minds) increase the chances of getting you approved. They will even have the audacity to require a credit check be run on you before you even get to test drive a car!!

Or it could be that you're a really young guy (regardless of ethnic background). Most young folks tend to get in over their heads when it comes to spending. Add to that if you're a young guy and you dress "trendy" with the baggy clothes, etc., it will only make it worse for you.

Salespeople are in the business of profiling their potential customers. It happens all the time to everybody. It goes beyond race, but to what you wear or what you drove there. It's a dumb practice and causes the loss of lots of money.

I had a friend who is literally worth millions, but drives an 8 year old Accord that she paid cash for it when she bought it. I met a guy at the Infiniti dealership one weekend when I went in to test out the M45 Sport. He was dressed way down. Looked like he had almost just rolled out of bed. I went outside to drive the M45 Sport and I see my dream car, an E55 AMG! It belongs to the guy I was just talking to inside! Turns out he's one of the top heart surgeons in the city (or nation, can't remember which) and has 5 practices in the metro area. Also turns out he has a 911 Carrera and a few other big ticket cars. He happens to be a car guy who loves fast, high performance cars. He said he wants to buy the M45 Sport just to add to his collection, and that he wants a little more room.

This guy is taking baths in money, but he looks just like the people that salespeople shun and shoo away everyday. A salesperson's arrogance could send this guy, a guaranteed CASH sale, out the door.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I doubt the RL will be commanding high resale prices. So far, it's not well received with consumers and the only people with anything really nice to say about it are the people who bought it. I think 90% of those purchases are simply Honda pride; this is their flagship so it must be the best in the world. They really love the car and are snap-defensively loyal to it. At the same time, they are reporting all sorts of bugs with the car. The car is loaded with electronics and seems like there's at least one problem with every system in it, including SH-AWD and the Acura owner-proclaimed best navigation system in the world.

Two years from now, I will be very interested to see if the RL will command more on resale than the M. I predict that a good condition 2005 RL won't sell for more than the high $20K - really low $30K. But if Honda works out all the electronic bugs, that could change.

As always, I could be wrong...
    In addition to the G, the FX also has class leading resale. I have no doubt that the M will have excellent resale as well, based on its residuals.
    I live in Orange County, CA (Disneyland) - did an inventory search on www.infiniti.com for all dealers within 50 miles.

The results: there are 12 dealers with 156 M35s and 148 M45s in stock.

I'll do the same exercise in a week to see how these numbers change.

I still think that people who are paying MSRP are a little crazy. Wait a few months and things will change. While the M is a very good car I can't see the buzz for it lasting that long - not with the new GS, new E350 and new 330i out.
  • undecided7undecided7 Member Posts: 92
    sdcal, you are absolutely right, the salesmen are not altruistic at all. They "push" certain things because they are incentivized to do so. I'm guessing the M35 is being pushed more because they have probably built (or plan to build) more of these cars than the M45. There might also be a bigger variable incentive (bonus) for selling more M35s vs. M45s. But whatever the reason, they are being motivated not by their kindness and goodness, but rather by whatever metrics the Infiniti corporate folks have placed in front of them. In my own personal experience, I was interesed in the '06 Mercedes E350 and the M35x and the dealer steered me in the direction of the M35x saying that he thought I was a little young for a Mercedes. I'm 40 years old, can you imagine!? It's all about the behind the scenes incentives that we don't know a thing about, nothing else. A sale to them is a sale, but the one with the bigger variable payout is obviously the better sale!
  • scashman1scashman1 Member Posts: 10
    To all,

I picked up an M35 Sport with Tech/Journey/Entertainment two days ago. My initial thoughts are "Wow!" This is one fun car. Drives great, grips the road, great sound, excellent drive seats, great room in back (compared to my I35 and wife's BWM 325 and X3), awesome electronics, great rear camera, easy navigation system (speak a phone number and it looks up the destination through caller ID), awesome surround sound system, etc.

Driving it the last two days has been a constant discovery of cool features and one excellent ride. The styling is better than I remember from the Auto Show. People stop and walk around the car checking it out.

More later...just a gas to drive! Great job Infiniti!
    What's the entertainment option include? Is that the rear DVD from the premium package (without the Power/Heated Rear Seats and sunshades?)
    The local Costco Infiniti dealer informed me that the M is not part of their program. As a courtesy they discount the car $500 for their Costco referrals. I read about invoice + $2500 - where was this?
    richcream,

Yes, the DVD Entertainment package includes the fold-down LCD in the back, two sets of wireless headphones, a remote control, and audio/video/power inputs/jacks in the back.

I passed on the heated rear seats and sunshade. Though I had them on my I35, I can't say I really valued them.

My son is psyched about connecting his MP3 player to the input and playing tunes in the back. I haven't tried it yet to see if an MP3 can be used to play over the car speakers, but I think it might under AUX. On longer trips, I think we'll connect his Xbox and he can play with his sister.
    Heated seats in back might not be a big thing, but the power reclining seats might come in handy for those long trips.

As an aside, I don't know about the x-box, but the gamecube has wireless (RF, not infra-red)controllers which are very slick at home and even moreso in the car--fewer cords to get tangled.
    So you CAN get the options from the Premium Package separately? I'm actually looking to go the other route and forego the DVD in the back but still get the heated/adjustable rear seats and sunshades. I'm guessing this is possible?

(I don't have any kids, but I would imagine the DVD is almost necessary if you do.)

If you don't mind, what state are you in, and what deal did you work out? Thanks.
    No, to get the sunshade and/or the reclining rear heated seats, you HAVE to go the prem pkg route. This comes with the DVD entertainment package and run-flat tires (plus the journey and tech pkgs). You can get the entertainment system as a stand-alone. I don't know if run-flats can be ordered with the car as a stand-alone, but you could obviously get them later.
    richcream,

I'm in Illinois. I'm still not sure if I got the best deal (probably not), but my I35 lease came up and my dealer had EXACTLY the configuration and color that I wanted. Noone else around Chicago had the setup.

I leased for $749/month, $0 down, 12K, 48 months, 1st payment/docs/title at delivery. I was hoping to get to around $705, but from 3 dealers, this was the best so I jumped at the car I really wanted. I'm very happy with it. It's the nicest car I've ever owned or rented. I love technology, and this thing is loaded. I really like the Sport version with the aluminum interior trim and 19" tires. The laser control cruise control is really wild. I tried it today in rush hour traffic and was amazed how well it worked.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to change my Verizon Kyocera Smartphone for a compatible Bluetooth phone. The voice activation/commands work a lot better than I thought they would. I don't really know how everthing is supposed to work, but I have been able to just guess most voice commands - pretty intuitive.

I setup the XM radio trial today and was impressed. With the speakers by each ear in the seat, you're surrounded by the music. The DVD audio is the best, but this XM sounds a good 2nd place.

Regarding the Premium package, I was looking for any way to reduce the cost a bit, so I kept what I wanted for my kids. My 11 year old son thinks I'm a god now. He saw the car with me at the Chicago auto show and fell in love it it.

The rear seat space and size of the trunk are two nice surprises. It feels more spaceous to me than a Mercedes E320 - more leg room and height. I don't know if that's totally true or if I'm just delirious, but this is one sweet/fun car.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Thanks for posting your comments on the boubon interior. I agree with you completely. If I have any one "complaint" about the new M it is the color choices for the interior. There are a number of silver or grey exteriors (in various shades) that seem weird in combination with the bourbon interior, but might look great with some sort of grey interior (which is only available with the sport option). I hope that Infiniti rethinks their interior colors/schemes.
    In that case, I think I'm just gonna get Journey & Tech and call it a day. I won't have backseat passengers often enough to warrant the extra $3,500, and the ones that I do have will have to just "rough it" without adjustable seats and climate control.

As far as the DVD, maybe someone can figure out how to hack the front screen to play when the car is moving. Like you said, I can get run-flats afterward. It's those damned sunshades that Infiniti is really being silly with. WHY in the world is that not available on any model 'a la carte'?

Any educated guesses on where prices on the M35x's are going? Up, down, nowhere fast? Right now, MSRP is the deal in NY, period.
    Scashman1:
    If you want to keep Verizon and use bluetooth, you should be aware that (as of now), there is only one phone (Motorola V710) available, AND Verizon has crippled many of its features. It may not be able to send an address book to the car. Unless there is a way to manually/verbally enter numbers directly into the car, it may be difficult to use. Do a search with "bluetooth, verizon, lawsuit" to get more details. I am in the same quandary (my M35x should be here in a few days). Verizon has a 14 day money-back guarantee, so that should give you enough time to test it out. There are other companies which have not crippled bluetooth connectivity. If the V710 does not work, I am planning on switching to Cingular (and the ultra-sharp RAZR) when my contract expires.
    doc nukem,

First, with that screen name, you're probably some awesome Xbox live player.

Next, thanks for your input on Verizon. We have two company cellular companies - Verizon and Cingular Wireless. I wanted a Palm/cell combination and Verizon had what I wanted - a Kyocera 7135 Smartphone.

I may get a cheap bluetooth phone from Cingular One and just leave it in the car. I used to use more of the email functions on my wireless Palm, but I really love having my complete Outlook Contacts, Calendar, To Do List, Memos, etc. with me wherever I go. I'll check out that lawsuit and the Cingular site.

Using the Bluetooth in this M35 Sport would just be a homerun for me. I love not using a key with the car. It's a wierd, freeing, experience. If I could get the cell phone working with the voice recognition, that would be excellent.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    For those comparing lease prices, keep in mind that Illinois is a very "lease-unfriendly" state. Anyone who leases has to pay the full sales tax as if they are purchasing the car, which can be brutal. Illinois law does allow for a reduction in sales tax based on the value of the trade in, but other than that, Illinois does not treat lessors very kindly due to the sales tax. Lease values can be higher in IL than in many states because of this one variable.
  • lyttonlytton Member Posts: 14
    I found the Acura RL quieter and nimbler to drive than the Infiniti. It definitely feels a bit smaller, and likely not worth the price Acura is asking. But I felt the M35 drove more like a bigger sedan, not as athletic and sporty as the Acura.The M35X was certainly noisier than the Acura in both wind noise and engine/exhaust noise coming into the interior. I am going to test drive the Lexus GS300 AWD...,but based on price I'll likely still go for the Infiniti. Interestingly, the residual value on a 48 month lease in my area (Toronto) for the Acura RL is 42%, and 55 or 56% for the M35X
    cstiles,

Your point about leasing in the Land of Lincoln is so true. It almost seems illegal, but considering our state is in a financial black hole with our Governor BS, he'd probably like us to pay the taxes twice.
    What's the tax in IL? It's 8.75% in NY.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    NJ has (or had) similar requirements, and I got royally screwed back in 2000 when I moved from NJ to FL. I had already paid all the sales tax for the full-term of the lease (actually, it's a use tax paid on the lease value so maybe it's not as bad), but when I moved to FL, they required use tax be paid per mo, and I had to pay use tax on the remaining usage a second time!