Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Greatest Pickup of All Time

tmats1tmats1 Member Posts: 35
A response I made to another topic led me to
create this new one.
Although my last two trucks were Fords, and we
have a new Super Duty on order, my nomination for
"greatest pickup" is the 72 Chevy.
I think that for quality, ruggedness and timeless
styling it is my top pick.
Tagged:

Comments

• RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    It's a toss up for me. I liked the 65 Chevy for style. I prefer the 78 F series for toughness and the 48 for starting it all.
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    on the 72 Chevrolet. I have a 1972 GMC Jimmy and like it a lot. I've always wanted a pickup in that body style. I think a 3/4 or 1 ton long wheelbase 4X4 with a 454, 14-bolt rearend, and a Dana 60 in the front would be pretty hard to beat.
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    gets my vote. The body style is classic. Drove a 69 for 22 years until I sold it last month and got a 00 Sierra 4X4
  • tmats1tmats1 Member Posts: 35
    edd and Z, I had a 70 Chevy 3/4. It was a great truck, but I liked the subtle changes Chevy made
    (I guess starting in 71) in moving the bow tie from the hood to the grille and the egg crate grille itself.
    I had 165,000 miles on my 70 when I traded it--there wasn't a thing wrong with it, just wanted something newer.
    I was just starting out as a Chevy mechanic about then. You can imagine my disappointment when the 73's came out. What a letdown.
    Rocles-I too like those late 70s Fords. I had an 80 but would still like to have a good, clean 76-79 (but I'd rather have the 72 Chev):-)
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    '98 GMC Sierra with 5.7L engine. The major reason being that one just like that happens to be parked in my garage. :)

-powerisfun
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Sorry, owned 4 pickups beginning with a '72 and currently a '99.

New is better, crashworthiness, power, comfort, frame stiffness,.....
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    None of this clear coat junk. I had a '77 F-Series (heavy-half). Horrible steering. Blew up two 351s. Pretty poor brakes. But the styling and paint were awesome. Two-tone green that looked as good in '89 as it did new. I guarantee none of the current clear-coat paints will look that good after 12 years.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Get's my vote. Probably because it was my first truck. Short wide, all orig. Even the radio. The girls definitely liked it. Everyone wanted to drive it.
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    I have had a 46 ford.53chevey,57tgmc,65chev,73chev,86toyota,87chev6.2,96fordps,and now a 00chevsilverado and I feel that the 87 with the 6.2 was the best overall. I had 175,000 on it when I sold it and still see it all the time it has right at 200,000 on it now and the gal that has it wouldn't part with it for any thing. The # 2 choice would be my 73 chev 3/4 ton with the 350 auto not to good milage but had 126,000 when I sold it and it is still going yet but I don't know what the mileage is now. My 00 chev is nice but a lot of wind noise and just not the pu that the others were. I liked the 96 ford ps but had front end trouble ,glow plug relay,cam shaft relay,wheel bngs,seals hubs, brakes and some other minor problems so not overly fond of it but will say it rode and had the best seats 40-20-40 [power driver] of any of them.Also on the 87 chev with the 6.2 from the time I bought it till I sold it it ave 18.7 mpg pretty good I felt.
  • sandman9sandman9 Member Posts: 4
    This is my 5th truck, best of any. Would not trade this for any other, car or truck
    Hard to dismiss those that feel "newer = better." We've got a 93, that we bought new that is definitely for comfortable and safer than my old trucks. The Ford we have on order (cd player and all) will be even better. But there's a reason people collect classic cars and trucks. Pre-emissions, high compression engines (the sound of an unregulated smallblock Chevy at 6500 rpms); steel dashboards; classic styling, and on and on.
    They can build zoomy new high-tech Corvettes from here to Sunday, but I'd still rather have a 63-67 Stingray. Our new Ford will be nice-looking, comfortable, and safe; but a black 72 Chevy 4x4 would look great cruisin down Rt 66.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    my ford superduty V-10 guy is envious of the way my 4.8L high compression chevy at 5000 rpm.
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    You're breaking up, your're breaking up!!! What did you say?
    How about '53 to '56 Fords? They seem nearly as popular as the '55 to'57 Chevy cars on the hot rod scene.
    Ahhhh Give me a Ford Coupe and Chevy small-block in her. Nothing sweeter than that marriage......
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Is mine.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
    Chevy Silverado.
    Quad,
    Uh.....Let me know when that sucker breakes down so I can tow it! LOL!

Seriously, A good choice is the F-1 from Ford in 48. It introduced the world(and GM) to a new truck thnat was dormant since the 30's. Visit any classic car grouping(cruise night) and see all of those gorgeous Fords. Not bashing GM, rather I made my nomination of them earlier....
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    How about a 1957 Chevrolet Cameo with a small block 350?
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    How bout a clapped-out 1974 El Camino? WITH a camper top and those wide orange and red stripes and plaid interior...
    No way! The El Camino should die a quick death.
    I think it was a '69 model. I was a teen when I mashed the accelerator with my right foot, and pedaled like Fred Flintstone with the left to keep the black El Camino 396 4 spd in sight, to no avail. What a cool little hauler that was.
    Were you not behind my Camaro? All exhaust baby from your perspective!!! LOL! three speed to boot.....
    I'm sure I was probably behind your Camaro too. I was probably better off disconnecting the nitrous from my Karman Ghia, and breathing it instead.
  • rancheroranchero Member Posts: 25
    yup, el camino looked great. better yet if it had the unique gmc caballero or sprint nameplate. but ranchero was consistently better looking and was the original american ute / coupe express. best looking ranchero - 1957. best ranchero - 1972 gt. cutest ranchero - 1964 or '65 falcon ranchero. by about 2 to 1 the gm ute outsold ranchero. the ranchero lasted only through 1979 model year, gm through 1987. so ranchero is a much rarer sighting today. it is a wonderfuly satisfying vehicle though. ford will sell you a new one too, v-8 and all, if you will just move to australia.
    - ranchero -
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    1957 Chevy Cameo pickup
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    has to be at or near the top! I grew up in North-Central Arkansas (or is that growed up), in the mid 1970s-early 1980s. These trucks were plentiful, well built, and cheap! I never owned one, but too many of my buddies in high school did! And, being the gearhead, speed freaks we were, we knew every little suttle trick to squeeze every ounce of hp out of whatever motor was in 'em!

Yes, there were early model Fords, (I drove one), a few Dodges, and the occasional Datsun. But nothing could match the sheer "don't even THINK about racing me" look of these old chebbies.

The one I remember MOST:

1969 1/2 ton short bed
    de-stroked 400sb
    single-stage nitrous (just in case!)
    "good-ol-boy" locker (read welded)
    don't remember rearend ratio
    lowered just enough to level it out
    50s on 10" centerline wheels (i think centerline?)
    5", 10,000rpm tach on dash

Just too wicked!!

sorry so long a post

keith24
    1957 Chevrolet Cameo Stepside/Sportside?
    I have never understood why people think it's neat to give away bed space for a stepside. 'Cause it looks neat? Not to me!
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I've always wondered the same thing. It actually looks worse, in my opinion. That combined with the lost bed space adds up to "no thanks!" for me.

-powerisfun
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    426 Hemi-727 TF, 5:13 Lockers, 40" mudders, 12,000 # PTO winch. Not much on looks but could go anywhere/anytime.
    Yeah those cheasey cuts into an otherwise perfectly clean fender are just plain ugly and dumb. Kinda like gobs of extra chrome or funky fenders (you don't see the batman fins on the back of a Cadillac anymore, do you? They are just as functional as step-sides). I don't know if people think they look classy because the first pickups were designed that way ('cause it was too hard, or they didn't know how to make, current style boxes at first). At any rate, I think step-sides should fade away like Batman fenders have.
    Kinda ironic that the Cameo post started the stepside debate. My recollection is that there is no such thing as a stepside Cameo. I would question the Cameo only because it was such a limited edition truck. Not many of us were lucky enough to possess one. A beautiful, classic truck, but not my idea of the greatest (see post #1)just too nice to really use and abuse.
    I think those "stepsides" and "flaresides" will be around longer than some of you may think. With an increasing number of buyers of trucks less moved by their function and more on style, those bed designs will only increase in favor.
    Well, lets bring back those batman fenders then. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they did considering the new funky Dodge and Isuzu products that are reaching the market. You guys see that Ford is going to be selling a luxury pickup under the Lincoln brand now too. I wonder if it will be as obnoxious looking as the Navigator?
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Lincoln is really taking the p*** with it. The pick up bed is lined with Ash. Now I know that you aren't going to use the pick up bed in a Lincoln, but why produce one with a bed that can't be used without damaging it.

It's bound to sell!!
    Ash? Oh man........would that work for my roofing firm??? ;)
  • moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    Any Power Wagon if you want tough.An '87-91 Jeep Commanche 4.0 liter with a 5 speed for offroad fun.To go fast how about a Dodge Rampage with a Mopar Performance rear drive kit,528 crate hemi,and a new package of briefs in the glove box 'cause your gonna need 'em.
  • ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    Anybody remember where this all started - typical problem with these groups. Yes, I appreciate the durability of my old truck (1988 F-250 4X4, 460 cid, EFI, about 150,000 miles so far, 5-speed, no serious repairs so far on anything.) But, boy do I love my 1999 F-150 4X4! With the 4 doors (no rattles), great engine (5.4) and a good size for a manueverable 4X4 (extended cab, 6.5 foot bed) - this truck comes about as close to the perfect all around vehicle I have ever owned. I have never owned a car (I am nearly 50 years old). This new F-150 comes about as close as engineers can get to a really strong truck, decent gas mileage and great comfort (and you might want to check ground clearance - this truck has a lot.) Yes, I considered the new Tundra - the only real competition in my mind to the F-150. To me and my family - width matters inside, the backseat matters and the Tundra's 6' bed makes stretching 8' loads a lot harder with the shell that I need for everyday errands. Plus, I think I probably get better gas mileage than the Tundra 4X4 with my newest edition of the 5.4 Triton. I still drive and depend on my old truck - but my 1999 F-150 drives and handles so nice and does everything that I need a truck to do - and sometimes, that is a lot! (We live in rural NM, gravel roads at best, high elevation, snow/drifts, etc.!) Good luck with your choices.
  • 98_svt_cobra98_svt_cobra Member Posts: 13
    1st 99 Lightning - styling, comfort, performance
    2nd 89-91 Chevy dualy - love the lines of the old body style mated with modern grille, interior, and drivetrain
    3rd 78? LiL Red Express - cool styling (love it or hate it though) and performance in its day. Could also have been called wanna be semi.
    Honorable mention - 91 Syclone - same reasons as Lightning, but can't be used as a truck.
  • 450es450es Member Posts: 7
    I agree with Jaijay...definitely the Cameo Stepside!

IMHO, Stepsides are a bit of nostalgia. It all goes back to the Model T pickup. Stepsides, Sportsides, and Flaresides are just a way of paying tribute to the "forefathers" of our modern trucks. I just traded a cherry '91 Sportside in for a '99 Silverado Ext. Cab Sportside, and you won't convince me that there's a better looking truck on the road anywhere.
    I still say there never WAS a stepside Cameo. A good part of what made it special was that it was a "fleetside" type box. I'm not informed well enough to say that Cameo was the 1st pickup with that style box, but it may have been. There were other trucks made by Chevrolet in the mid-50s, with a stepside box, but the Cameo was a limited run, top-of-the-line, edition. If I'm wrong, I will apologize, b-u-u-t I don't think so
    What's a Syclone?
  • ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    Ford's new F150 with 4 real doors and step-side bed is just about one the prettiest trucks ever conceived - in my mind. Irregardless of all those folks that say the F-150 is ugly, I think it is beautiful. The crewcab design and step-side rear are just a perfect blend of the original design. Just my opinion - just been watching the pictures in Autoweek - but, this is most likely going to be a killer truck for a killer truck manufacturer.
    I have to agree with you on the Cameo stepside. Granted, I've NEVER claimed to be "Chevy literate" so-to-speak, but I don't ever remember seeing a stepside Cameo either. I remember the Cameo being a fleetside, but I'd be the first to admit if I was wrong on this. ANYWAY.......

In answer to your Syclone question:

The Syclone was a limited production, s-15 based sport truck. (and i mean SPORT truck)

4.3l turbocharged v-6
    all-wheel drive
    16" or 17" (can't remember) alloy wheels
    factory ground effects/fender flares
    factory installed tonneau cover

They went on sale as a 1991 model. You could get them in any color you wanted, as long as that color was BLACK!

I can't quote any hp or performance numbers, but these little trucks would just flat GO!!!

You can probably search the net for GMC Syclone, & find a picture or 2. GMC also built an suv on the same premise as the Syclone, called the Typhoon. Same drivetrain as the truck, but in a 2-door, s-15 jimmy form.

TO ALL: If someone out there can educate me on the Cameo/stepside thing, please do so!! Or on the Syclone description as well! I was trying to quote all of the Syclone stuff from memory.

THANKS!!!
    keith24
    All this nostalgia and beauty of the stepside talk cracks me up. Paying tribute to the Model T, WHATTT???? Maybe we should bring back those old wheels and tires. Boy, would that be "a look". And gee, those extended cabs don't go along with the step/sport/splash sides and ribbon tires/wheels. Guess that extended cab space isn't as important as "the look", either.

Stepsides are purely poor utility for a vehicle that is supposed to be utilitarian. I've never thought anything that is a poor functional design (for the ara of the design) is attractive. Non-functional design always looks clumsy, busy, or inadequate, to me. Our "forefathers" and the Model T had an excuse, that's all they knew. But come on, we know better designs now, to give away bed space for some extra/unnecessary curves to honor the past is not my definition of good looking. I personally use ever cubic inch of bed space, and always wish I could have more. Pickups would look better to me if they figured out a way to have more bed space without making it more awkward to drive. But I guess if you don't really use your truck bed, and honoring historic engineering is so important, the minimized beds might look "neato" to you.
    Who said anything about a stepside looking "neato" as you put it? Switch to decaf coffee.

I grew up farming in N. Central Arkansas. Driving a truck was a necessity, rather than having something "neato" to drive. Driving a truck wasn't the "status symbol" or the cool thing to do as it is now.

You're preachin' to the choir, gw.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    The syclone had a version of the 3.8L supercharged Buick motor if I'm not mistaken. Still a holy terror that had a suv cousin called the typhoon.
    Ah, Keith, that "neato" comment was sarcasm.
  • 450es450es Member Posts: 7
    I haul all sorts of things in my Sportside. A water tank, ATV, lumber, and numerous other things. The only thing that won't fit in my bed is my riding mower...but then, it wouldn't fit in a Fleetside bed either. That's why I have a trailer.
    SORRY! Kind of a knee-jerk reaction from being chastised on board after board for "not knowing what a truck is used for". Maybe I need to switch to decaf!!

modvptln: The Syclone had a 4.3l motor. I came across an article in Truck Trend back in June. I couldn't remember if it was intercooled or not, but it was.
    This web site, provided by Golden State Pickup Parts, has a brief history of the Cameo style Chevy Trucks.

http://gspp.com/1958%20the%20beginning.html

http://gspp.com/
This discussion has been closed.