Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

jms9jms9 Member Posts: 17
Nissan has released some pictures of the Fuga, the replacement for the Cedric/Gloria, which we know as the Infiniti M45. The new car is based on the FM platform (shared with the G35/FX/350Z). It is much sleeker than the car it replaces, and it definitely has the best interior Nissan has ever designed. There are some design cues from other Infiniti vehicles, like the FX-like grille and the G35-like tail lights, but this car has its own style. It has all the elements necessary to be a huge success.

Here are some pictures.

Front view

Photo gallery

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    It's not bad looking until you look at the back. The front view, while attractive, looks like a Ford Mondeo. But I guess anything is better than the current M45.

M
  • shainzeshainze Member Posts: 2
    This is a damn fine looking car. The interior is just about the most beautiful interior I have seen in recent memory of ANY car no matter what the price. The exterior is also exceptionally sharp looking to me (I also like the G35). After seeing this, I will add the M45 to my short list of potential cars that I will replace my current one with in 2005 (Cadillac STS, Jaguar XJ8 and Mercedes E500).

Of course the production interior won't be nearly so nice, but if it looks half as good as this show car, I will be very impressed. I just hope the performance aspects of the car don't fall short of its incredible good looks.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Note it's still a Nissan in Japan. I thought Infiniti is trying to get established over there. What does the rear plate say? I can't read it.

Pictures can be deceiving, but it does look fantastic!
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Awesome, aggressive yet elegant looking car.
    The front end has that bold, imposing, powerful styling I like. Autospies has some good pics. of the M also. This car will be big trouble for BMW's 5 series as was intended.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Nissan has no plans to expand the Infiniti name outside of the U.S., the only market where the Infiniti name exists. At the Tokyo Show, the Exec VP of global sales and marketing for Nissan said he would like to make Infiniti global someday but that's not a reality due to regulations and the fact it would cost a lot of money.
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    As a BMW E39 (5series) owner who had planned on trading on the new E60, but was so put off by the styling and materials quality that I won't, the new M45 will go on my list. I plan to wait for the '05 models to come out anyway and plan to look at the STS, New Lexus GS, Audi A6, and now the M45.
  • candidphcandidph Member Posts: 2
    When the M45 cruises at a steady speed on a freeway, and "instant" acelleration is needed to change lanes or merge with traffic, there is a two to three second delay before the vehicle responds to the depressed acellerator. Is there a FIX for this possibly dangerous problem?
  • candidphcandidph Member Posts: 2
    The collision-avoidance sensor is a dangerous device, because it may cause rear-end collisions, as follows: When the cruise control is ON, so is the sensor. When the M45 approches a large vehicle - such as a 'semi' - in an adjacent freeway lane - especially if its an inside curve -the vehicle will suddenly and severely decellerate, with following vehicles barely avoiding a collision - especially at high speeds.
    Is there a way to disable this so-called safety device, or at least narrow its beam?
    secure another good seller in their new M45. This simply CANNOT be an ugly car. The current M45 is very ugly and turns people off like the Pontiac Aztec. Why car companies (see BMW) feel that they need to take proven best sellers and change them dramatically and controversially is beyond me. Infiniti has struggled throughout its existence and finally has a winner with the G35. Why? It looks great and has many positive features (emphasis is on "looks great" with few dissenters). If Inifiniti makes the M45 "look great", and can sell it below the GS430/BMW545, then they could well have a winner. But if it is butt ugly like the new BMW E60 (5) only true diehards will buy and the rest will walk...
  • wslowrywslowry Member Posts: 3
    of the M45 are your opinion and just that. I personally think it looks better than the G35. Other people like it too as I have never owned a car that received so many compliments. The low sales figures have more to do with lack of advertising than anything else. I like this car more all the time.
    I agree that looks are subjective; however, name one auto magazine anywhere that has said anything good about the M45's looks? Whatever. My point is that, at minimum, the current model's looks are "controversial" and do not automatically enhance its sales opportunities. That is NOT the case with the G35, which is widely seen as a "good looking" automobile. My original point is that the current M45 has taken plenty of brickbats for its styling, and while some - such as you - may like it, most don't (also see current BMW E60) and therefore, no matter how much YOU like it, it WILL NOT SELL. The mechanicals may be fine, but Infiniti MUST ditch this "look" asap and market it like an upscale G35 and it will take off (any amount of marketing would NOT sell the current M45. Whether you like it or not, MANY people think that it is just plain UGLY). IMHO, Infinti has seen the light with the G35, and can/should sell much better as they dump much of their current styling to go with more easily accepted trends. I hope so. I think the current M45 has dynamite stats, but I would not buy one on a bet given the current looks....
  • wslowrywslowry Member Posts: 3
    Is also a beautiful automobile. The problem with Infiniti is advertising. I hear first hand what the public thinks of this car - can you say the same? I could care less what the magazines say about the car(see lack of advertising). I challenge you to drive both the M45 and G35 and report back. You will find the G35 pales in comparison. If you had chosen a different word than "ugly" I would have never responded to your post. Not everyone finds the Mona Lisa appealing do they?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    will the M35 replace the current I35?
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    correct. After that, Infiniti will introduce the M45. :)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I actually love the look of the current M45! Has that badass Maurader/KennyBrown Panther style to it, definitely all about the attitude it portrays. But it's a sophisticated attitude, not F&F crowd attitude, but more of a "sleeper", reminiscent of an older muscle car, mixed with the luxury of Infiniti's flagship Q. Very cool, just too expensive for me at this time.
    I am happy that you like the way the current M45 looks. But apparently, you are in the minority by a huge margin. This car has power, features, handling, a decent price, etc, but does NOT sell. Why? Most people think it is ugly. I am certain that with more universally accepted styling, and otherwise retaining the same features and pricing, the M45 will skyrocket in sales. Anyway, if you like the current model, buy it. At minimum, there won't be many more on the road like yours....
  • ehannigan1ehannigan1 Member Posts: 5
    Most people think it is ugly? Because you say so?You think the new bimmers are ugly too - I think you're in the minority on that one too. I really haven't seen a Gallop poll conducted on this - just a handful of magazine ads. What makes you think you know more about what the public thinks than someone that drives this car every day? I've got news for you - this is an awesome car - the owners all know that. Not to mention, I like not seeing my car 50 times a day - that is a major plus. Did you drive the M45 and the G35 yet? I didn't think so....
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    isn't all the bad to me. Looks futuristic.
    get a life! I am not saying the M45 is ugly because I say so - read my post! I am saying that it is a great car with many features, but which DOES NOT SELL because it is UGLY! It is not my opinion that it is ugly (I own a BMW E39), it is the public at large - they WON'T BUY IT! Sure, some people, such as you like it - great! But how many others do?? Apparently, not that many. Sales figures for the M45 are HORRENDOUS! No way Infiniti can keep selling this car without major upgrades... and what are they? Well, the car has great power, performance, features, etc...but....doesn't sell. Car magazine commentary is that the styling sucks. Guess what? Given all of the above, they are probably right. BMW has absolutely shot themselves in the foot with the "Bangle" styling. After the usual surge of "gotta have a new one" wears off, sales of the 5 series, just like the 7 series are likely to fall... because they are UGLY! I did not buy a new E60 as a direct result. I'd love to consider a new M45, but not if it looks like it does now. Be realistic. No matter how much you love the current styling, how many others feel the same way and are buying one? The sales figures will give you the answer.
    Thou doth protest too much. Nobody cares about YOUR OPINION of ugly cars. LACK OF ADVERTISING DOESN'T HELP SALES DO YOU RECKON??? You're the one that needs to get a life - living through the looks of your gorgeous E39. The M45 is MASCULINE in the tradition of the muscle cars- maybe that's why you think it is ugly. In the day, I had a hemi '68 Road Runner - I'm sure you would call that ugly too.

By the way - I traded an E38 for this - looks a little better than your E39 I (and the rest of the world) would say. Got tired of being in the shop half the time....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thou doth protest too much. Nobody cares about YOUR OPINION of ugly cars.

Not only is that an incorrect contextual use of a Shakespeare quote, this board is all about opinions. That said, let's cut down on the hostility here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

but a person going on for several posts about a car they deem ugly doth protest too much. If someone says they THINK a car is ugly - that's perfectly acceptable. To omnipotently state it to be ugly is just plain ignorant - looks are subjective. Too bad the quote is lost on you - I find it perfectly apropos.
    No, it's that the quote means something else. If you think a person "doth protest too much," the original contextual meaning of the quote indicates that you believe they are, in fact, denying something they actually want. In this instance, it would be taken to mean that you believe a person who says the vehicle is ugly actually wants the car. If that's what you meant, it IS truly lost on me as I believe msgreen really, honestly, doesn't like the car.

Personally, I like the M45. But it isn't selling well. Whether that's because of looks, price, or just a narrow market is definitely up for debate.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I think it's not selling because of it's hard to use navigation system. It's still a good car, but the public doesn't want to "program" their own car. :)
    Yeah, but you don't HAVE to use the nav. I don't have it, don't want it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    What to you mean by "program"? The Infiniti navigation system is a lot easier to use than a lot of others out there. At the end of the day any navigation system is going to add some complexity to the car. That's just the nature of the beast. As our host said, if you don't like it then don't get it.
    I hear you but, have you asked yourself why msgreen is coming on this board slamming the looks of the M45(as well as the new BMW's!!)? Seems a little odd to me. First observation - you NEVER SEE THEM!!! How many times could msgreen possible have seen one in person? I didn't like some of my favorite albums of all times until I had heard them 10 or 12 times. Has msgreen seen one with a spoiler and 18" wheels? What colors? I maintain the main reason the M45 doesn't sell is more due to the lack of Infiniti advertising - they thought it would sell itself and people are too busy looking at the latest SUV offerings(ughh). That's alright with me - I love the exclusivity.

How do you know this person doesn't want the car? Coming from bimmerworld - they may find it a step down to go "ricer". An aging bimmer will make you CHERISH the reliability of a Japanese car - at least that has been my experience.

Unfortunately bimmers are truly the ultimate driving machine so my next car may very likely will be another one...hypocritical as that may sound - I needed a little break.

By the way - hostility hasn't seemed to have hurt the "I don't like SUV's - why do you?" board..... ;)
    ehannigan, the hostility is controlled by Steve & Tidester in IDLSWDY - better them than me!

The answer is that folks have different tastes. There are certain cars that I find hideous and wouldn't take if given to me, that sell like hotcakes or that others simply love. I don't want to mention brands, but one that comes to mind sounds a lot like "bummer." :) There's no accounting for taste in style, and we don't censor posts or keep members out of discussions because they have an unpopular opinion.

Personally, I feel that the M35/M45 was never meant to be a seriously mass-marketed car. Not every vehicle is designed to be the Honda Accord/Toyota Camry, and let's face it - in that price range, with a big ol' V8, 4.5L engine, it's not likely to have been designed to fly off the shelves.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I think you are really over-reacting to my posts and do not believe that you read them carefully. Personally, I don't care what types of cars people like - we are all different and that's what makes the world go around. But - my point was that the M45 is a GREAT car! It has tremendous features and offers alot for the price - mostly better than its competitors. I was saying that given all of this, it still does NOT sell. Why is that? A luxury sports car with tons of features, good price etc, but yet is hardly moving on the sales scene. Plenty of car magazines, and others have said that they do not like the M45's looks. You can agree or disagree, but the simply truth is that this car has lots of critics for its styling, and is not selling. Why, after only a couple of years in existence is Infiniti totally changing its looks? Because they are killing its sales. Look, if you like the way the current model looks - great, I salute you and am sure that you will love this very good car. But you won't have much company on the roads, and this is the point that Infiniti is trying to address. I don't like the current M45 styling (and don't like the new E60 styling - but that is my opinion). Others may disagree, but the manufacturer ultimately has to stay in business, and they are not changing the looks of the M45 because it is in hot demand. Peace.
    I agree with everything you say except it still doesn't mean the car is ugly. There are many reasons people buy and don't buy automobiles. I have had more positive comments about this car than any other I've owned - including the E39. Even so, if looks were the only factor how do you explain the popularity of the SUV's? Most of them are hideous to my eye. I am happy with my M45 and I like the fact that it is an exclusive car. I also like the fact it will run with the fastest cars out there. If you're looking for rear wheel drive, speed, quality, comfort, service, and price - you can't go wrong with this car.
    While it is true that the M hasn't received much universal praise for its looks (based on what I've read), this may not be the only reason for its abyssmal sales. One other reason might be its cramped back seat. Although space probably isn't a primary concern for buyers in this class, most buyers of the 40k - 50k category have families, and 74.6 inches of combined legroom probably turns a lot of people off. Many people probably figure why get a M45 when you can get a G35 that is just as fast, handles better, has more room, and is $8000 less?

But this will all change once they introduce the next M in a year or so. I really like the Fuga's looks, and if they keep the interior of the car at the Tokyo auto show, it'll be a winner.
    "most buyers of the 40k - 50k category have families"

I would dis-agree with that. The kids cost so much money that they're all down at the Kia and Hyundai stores!
    Actually, many families these days have luxury cars. Almost everyone I know has a family of 2 or more kids with either an Acura, Infiniti, or Volvo. :)
    "Almost everyone I know has a family of 2 or more kids with either an Acura, Infiniti, or Volvo. :)
    "

No college for those kids then :)
    I have kids, and yes, I'll be shopper in the 40K-50K range - just not until they're grown and gone!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• diego413diego413 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any idea when 2005 M45 will be on the market? Please let me know. Thanks
    It is due in March 2005 although this may change down the road.
  • diego413diego413 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks
    Since 2004 M45 is not available yet, I thought 2005 M45 may come earlier
    The 2004 M45's will be turning up in February and March. There was a rumor that Infiniti were just going to skip on the 2004 M45 but that's turned out to be untrue.
  • c3po33c3po33 Member Posts: 67
    From what I've read the M35 will be out this summer with the M45 out in the winter. I will be looking at these cars (M35 especially) as a possible replacement for my G35 about a year and a half from now.
    Same here! :)
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I'm thinking the 2005 M45 may replace my FX.
  • valuebuyervaluebuyer Member Posts: 24
    After a recent desultory tour of Germania (2004 BMW5, MB-E320, Audi6 - mostly low value, high attitude, over-priced ) the news that an Infiniti-branded Fuga is going to take out the (non-selling, overhang-ugly) M as a 2006 model was great to hear from the local dealer network this week.

It saves me from having to buy the lower-lux G35x immediately. (I'm told the Attesa system is going to be available in the Fuga-car from the start, when it hits North America in about 18 months).

The 2005/6 Lexus GS replacement looks pretty phat (in a bad way), so the field now looks clear for Infiniti in this segment. It'll be nice to tell the Teutons 'Fuga you, mate!"
    "phat (in a bad way), "

PHAT - pretty, hot, and tempting....LOL...you probably meant it's NOT phat
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    autospies names M45 as the most exciting intro in NY Show. I totally agree of course.

http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2593

When's the show BTW? I'll have to make a trip down just to see the beauty.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Here's what it will probably look like. The gauges look sweet in that blue hue, hope that makes it into production.

Yea, we kind of know that...that is the Fuga you know (the concept basis of the next M35/45
  • kiefaber455kiefaber455 Member Posts: 16
    and was told the difference between the M35 and the M45 is engine size(kind of figured that, the 35 being the 6 and the 45 being the 8). But he also said starting price for the 35 was going to be mid forties. I guess Infinity really wants to separate it from the Maxima.
    I really doubt that the M35 will start out at mid $40k. That's probably for a fully loaded version.

The AWD FX45 starts out at $45k!

The M35 will probably start out at about $35k (like the RWD FX35) and a nicely equipped one will be about $40k.