Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• a6_to_m35a6_to_m35 Member Posts: 43
    OF COURSE we would like to see pictures!
  • lawdawgmilawdawgmi Member Posts: 62
    Picked up a Cingular Moto 551 today for a trial run. The Cingular rep strongly endorsed the 551 over the Razr--he said the 551 provides better call clarity and sound. My first observation is that Verizon provides noticeably better call clarity and cellular service here in metro detroit. That's no surprise, as Verizon tops everyone's list nationwide in that dept. It's a real quandary for me, as Verizon's only Bluetooth phone is the Moto V710, and Verizon has disabled most of its Bluetooth capability. The V551 is a good phone with full Bluetooth and a good feature set, but Cingular just doesn't seem to match up with Verizon as a carrier. The phone is pretty easy to pair with my M35x. Once paired, it seems to work fairly well. I have a few questions for those in the know:

1. The Bluetooth on my phone seems to shut off a few moments after I take the phone out of the car. Can I do anything about that?

2. Should I be seeing a call waiting caller ID when someone is calling me while I'm speaking to another person?

3. How do you switch between calls in a cal waiting situation?

4. How do you edit a voice tag or phonebook entry? I made a phonebook entry and the voicetag didn't work--I need to re-enter it. I didn't see any answer to this question in the manual.

5. Will I regret a switch to Cingular after 10-plus years with Verizon?

Thanks for any help.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    No stick in the M. If you want a manual from Infiniti, the G35 is currently your only choice. You mentioned the 2005.. as far as I'm aware, our short lived original M45 never offered a manual.
  • creditmancreditman Member Posts: 23
    Got my m35x for approx. 7 weeks & 2300 miles. Diamond grafite with burbon interior, tech, journey & entertainment package along with splash guards & spoiler. Haven't seen another in the detroit area, other than at the dealer.
    Gas mileage both city/highway is 17.5 to 19.5. Not one problem at all with car.
    5.1 sound is great on both DVD-Audio & Reg. Cd's.
    Installed Verizon Motorola v710, it will not load phone book & you have to manually install numbers. Still can't figure out how to answer call waiting and there's no mention in owners manual. Also can't figure out how to edit or delete voice tags. People will stop you at gas stations and want to check out car. My 8 year old son love's rear entertainment center & has complete control of remote. I thought that if the back seat passenger used the headphones, the driver can change to radio and not have to listen to DVD. can't figure this one out. I'm a car nut and also own 2004 Audi Allroad along with several classic cars (60 Impala convert, 69 firebird convert & 31 Model A). After several years of owing Acura & Lexus models, I can say that the M is the only car I have owned that I am totally satisfied with.
  • cbgcbg Member Posts: 13
    Anybody getting full use of the 20 gallon tank? When I run my M35 to "E" on the gauge it still will only take 17.5 gallons to fill the tank. Are there really 2.5 gallons left beyond "E"?

I'm making far too many trips to the gas station and would like to stretch my tank a little further.
  • aas5aas5 Member Posts: 50
    Got my M35x last Thursday- it's the best car I've ever had. What a pleasure to drive it. I got the twilight blue with wheat interior. No squeaks or rattles- just a comfortable, fast, peppy, hot car. I get lots of comments on the color-there aren't too many around in the blue. If anybody wants to see it, I'll e-mail you a picture.

I'd love to see twilight blue, please email to aas5NJ@gmail.com.
    Thanks.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Bart,

Thanks - that helps. In looking at the NAV Web site, I was a little worried since it seems the coverage isn't that great. Nice to hear that even in remote areas it has good detail.
    cheerioboy,

Thanks for the numbers - where did you get them? Are they published anywhere?
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    That's just the way Nissan/Infiniti calibrates their fuels gauges. My G35 has the same size tank....I think I put 18 gallons in there *once*. My Maxima has an 18.5 gallon tank - usually I put in around 16 gallons.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    They were published by a dealer on another forum. I just copied his info.
    dickster1,

Does it still show the street level maps for the half that doesn't have the turn by turn guidance? If not, what does it show - just a big solid color with a "you are here" arrow?
  • richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    OUCH! :confuse:
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    yes -- pls send me a photo.

thx

spfotey@aol.com
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I switched to Verizon and picked up my V710 yesterday and thus far it seems to work reasonably well. By no means have I had a chance to challenge it. I was with Sprint for ages ... the only carrier I ever used in the past and was happy with their service and coverage. Unfortunately, Sprint has NO phones compatible with Infiniti's Bluetooth so I did a bit of research and came down to a choice between Cingular and Verizon ... opting for Verizon because of overall better coverage and the CDMA technology. If Cingular wasn't GSM I would have gotten the RAZR from them (slim and slick) despite the fact that reception is supposedly a little weak due to the internal antenna (I question the validity of this claim) and their coverage is more spotty than Verizon's. CDMA technology is superior to GSM right now ... sometime in the future GMS will be the way to go ... that then limited the choices to Sprint, Alltel, and Verizon. Sprint had no phone and Verizon gave me the V710 for $100 after rebates. In addition, Alltel wouldn't import my old # into its phone after initially assigning their # --- and I have a couple of additional months of Sprint service so can't switch the number initially.

I do have a question, however, as the guy who sold me the V710 and got me up and running didn't have the answer and I haven't found it in the manual (yet). When getting into the car is it necessary to shut off the ringer on the phone so only the car's phone will ring? Or is there a setting that automatically turns the phone's ringer off when using the car's phone system?

Bart
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Never gotten down to "E" yet but I have noticed that the gas gauge needle moves with an average speed between "F+" and 3/4, moves quickly between 3/4 and 1/2 and then slows down between 1/2 and "E". I doubt it's accuracy so that when it shows 1/2 that I probably have more in the tank. Also curious is that when I turn the car off the gauge might be at say exactly 1/2 but then when I start it up again the needle moved down one notch - again not the most accurate gauge. This also gives strange results if you watch the "distance to empty" number actually increase as you drive.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You folks who are posting your email address are asking for trouble. If you want folks to have your address, go into your profile and make it public. That way only logged-in members can see it, and it's not out here on a public webpage for all the spambots and what-all to harvest. If anyone wants me to delete one of your messages because you included your address, just give me a holler!
  • creditmancreditman Member Posts: 23
    when i get into my car & set up the bluetooth connection, i flip the v710 to silent & use the car ringer. If you don't, when a call comes, it rings both the car & phone ringers. the only problem is when you leave the car you have to remember to set the v710 back to ring.
  • mrivisionmrivision Member Posts: 22
    One of my biggest complaints with the car is the gas mileage. I have about 1700 miles on my M35x. I get about 17pg with average combined city highway driving. When doing mostly highway, I get about 20.5 mpg. This has been an improvement since my initial mileage but not as much as I had hoped.
  • mrivisionmrivision Member Posts: 22
    I hope they come out with a passenger seat that matches the driver's seat in terms of adjustability. I also hope that I can pull out my current passenger seat and replace it with a better seat when the time comes. How in the world can a $50K car have such a dumbed-down passenger seat.
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Have you reset the mpg computer? I started low and am gradually creeping up (1400 miles now). In mostly city, I am getting 16.5 (M35x). I don't feel this is too bad given my previous car was a 3.0 liter 6 (Mitsu Galant) getting about 18 or so in the city.

If it continues to improve, I am guessing I will be close to the Mitsu in another 1000 miles or so (and then level off). Given the bigger engine and better performance, this is fine for me. Btw, the Mitsu also took premium--any follow-up about octane requirements for the M35? The insert makes it sound like 87 or better is just fine, but elsewhere it sounds like 92 or better is required.
  • captnorm35captnorm35 Member Posts: 16
    Regarding my M35 & Motorola V3 Razr,

<<The Bluetooth on my phone seems to shut off a few moments after I take the phone out of the car. Can I do anything about that?>>

No problem with the V3. I ran it 20' from the car, still pretty decent.

<<Should I be seeing a call waiting caller ID when someone is calling me while I'm speaking to another person?>>

Only indicator I get is loud beeping from car speakers. Pretty easy to tell it is call waiting. Nothing on the screen.

<<How do you switch between calls in a cal waiting situation?>>

Don't know, would expect need to find cell phone & quickly pick up there.

<<How do you edit a voice tag or phonebook entry? I made a phonebook entry and the voicetag didn't work--I need to re-enter it. I didn't see any answer to this question in the manual.>>

You can get into settings, phonebook, work on the entry with no tag. Accept all the old info, have a chance to add a voicetag.

A few other observations:

In transferring the phone's phone book (V3 Razr) to the car, reverses 1st & last names, has anyone else noticed that?

Wish there was a bluetooth signal strength indicator.

Has anyone found where the microphone is? Would be nice to know so could direct voices in that direction.

Has anyone found where the bluetooth ant is?

Norm Perron
  • my45my45 Member Posts: 26
    Here is a picture of the bourbon sport seat from my M45. As you can see, it is brown, and I think it looks great.

The microphone is above you near the rear-view mirror (I'm pretty sure). I also think the antenna (that is what you meant by, "ant", isn't it?) is part of the box in the glove compartment. I don't think bluetooth antennae are very large (think of the small USB bluetooth adapters).

Has anybody seen a phone battery strength indicator on the screen? It's not that important, but I believe some phone/car combos have it. The signal strength indicator is nice.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    BLESS YOU, my45!! That does look good.

Now, good sir (ma'am?), I beseech thee. Can you please post more pictures of your interior??? PLEEEEASE (with all sorts of sugar and candy and stuff on top)??? :blush:

[edit]
    Nevermind. I checked them out on your website. :shades:
    The color actually looks more like pumpkin guts than bourbon.
  • 2bdriven2bdriven Member Posts: 16
    -- Has anybody seen a phone battery strength indicator on the screen? It's not that important, but I believe some phone/car combos have it. --

Yes, it shows with my V551.
  • jimbroutmanjimbroutman Member Posts: 6
    does anyone else notice that when you make a call on your phone ( i have a motorola v3 ) through the bluetooth, there is a 2 second lag in the time before your caller can hear you.. causing them to think there is no one on the other end of the line..its kind of annoying..i tried to re-pair the phone but it still does it..any suggestions?
    Infiniti will be issuing a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this one.

The noise was indeed coming from a roof crossbar member where it was attached to the car's frame over the rear window on the driver's side of the car. Tustin Infiniti removed the headliner (and most of the back seat), bent a few ends of metal pieces, tighten some things and added thin rubber insulation at the point of the squeak - all per the Japanese engineer's direction. They had a similiar problem with a few G35s.

I haven't driven the car yet (will pick it up on Friday) but the engineers and service manager have and they all say the squeak is gone.
    Nevermind. I checked them out on your website.
    The color actually looks more like pumpkin guts than bourbon.

The pictures on my website were from someone else's vehicle and camera. I was hosting them for them. The color looks off in those shots probably due to a poor quality camera. The shot I have above is more color accurate. I'll take some more and post them later.

Mr. My45. :)
    Infiniti will NOT be issuing a TSB for this one.

The noise was caused by the contraction of the Exhaust Heat Shield - seems it was attached rather tightly at the factory when cold. Upon heat up it expanded and then during the cool down process (and contraction) it would make the clanging (pinging) sound. The Japanese engineers heard it and although they said it was a normal process they came up with a fix. They will loosen the Exhaust Heat Shield, get it really hot (it will expand), then reattached it. They will also put a small crease in the heat shield to allow for the flexing of the heat shield and hopefully the clanging sound will go away. Won't know how this works until I pick the car up on Friday and give it a try.
  • captnorm35captnorm35 Member Posts: 16
    I have noticed (Same V3/Cingular) and yes, it is a pain. I keep hearing "hello" from the other party. Wish I had a suggestion.
    Drtravel: If your gas guage has such fluctuations I'd consider it "flawed" and call it to the attention of the service writer when you take it in. With regard to the "distance to empty" increasing as you drive, that's quite common as that number is calculated by the computer and changes as your MPG changes. I certainly wouldn't base my decisions on when to refuel on that.

Someone earlier mentioned the guage registering "empty" when there's still 2.5 gallons in the tank. My advice, advice I received from a private service shop owner, is to NEVER let the tank register less than 1/4 because there's sediment and water that accumulates in the bottom of the tank and can run into your fuel line when slurping those last few quarts. Bart
    I've gathered that. It's a nuisance, but as with anything new it takes some personal adjustment. I often leave my phone on vibrate to avoid annoying others. I've got a lot to learn about the features of the phone. Someone posted that (with the V3) the names get reversed in the car's screen ... I gather that means the phone book CAN be imported into the car? Comments? My Verizon guy doesn't know how to do it. Bart
    mrivision ... an eye doctor?

Agree .. that passenger seat is a disgrace ... fortunately my wife hasn't complained (yet).
  • scoop4scoop4 Member Posts: 40
    I have noticed the same thing that the combined gas mileage has been rather low on my M35x (low 20s). I'm told that is common with Infiniti cars.

A previous post mentioned that he had a tach reading of 3000 rpm at 80 mph. I have checked a couple of times and have only been able to get 3200 at 80 mph. Has anyone else tried this?

Also a friend who owns a G35 suggested lowering the tire pressure to improve on the comfort of the ride. The manual says that the recommended pressure is 35 psi. I have noticed that the pressure goes from a "cold" 35 to 37 after the car has been driven here in NE. Should I be more concerned with the cold or warm tire pressure?

Lastly, a great audio dvd I just got the other day is the Blue Man Group "Audio" . A track from this dvd is included on the Infiniti demo
    really? I'm working with a V551 now and I get signal strength, but not battery level.
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    Just got my platinum M35x with wheat interior, Tech and journey package.
    The catalytic converter smell is very strong. Hopefully it will go away quickly like other people's car. Have to work on some of the defaults. The 1 touch window button is not set up. Instead it has to be held to go up. I may need to have a a tech reprogram the windows (per Ray Catena Infiniti) but I may not care enough to do it immediately. The lock button on the fob defaults to the horn beeping. Not sure if there is a "beep" rather than the horn but if there is, I would prefer it.

The tire pressure was set at 40 psi by the dealer which is significantly higher than the 33 recommended by Infiniti. I just let out some air and will see how that changes the ride. Having the car report its own pressure is very neat. The computer system is intuitive but there are LOTS of options. I will have to explore it thoroughtly. And of course I have to get a new bluetooth phone to test out the functions.
    Lastly not having a key takes some getting used to!
  • tmitchtmitch Member Posts: 14
    Left a deposit today on a diamond graphite M35 with only nav and splash guards. I've been looking for this car for months. I gotta drive 4 hours away from Houston to get it, but I think I got a good deal. MSRP is $42630 and I'm getting about $1900 off. Best thing is I didn't have to order and wait 110 days for it. Should be going to finalize the deal this weekend.
    Congrats on the new M. I'll save you a trip to the dealer for the auto up windows. Here is what the manual tells you to do:

If the windows do not close
    automatically

If the power window automatic function
    (closing only) does not operate properly,
    perform the following procedure to initialize
    the power window system.
    1. Push the ignition switch to the ON position.
    2. Open the window more than halfway
    by operating the power window
    switch.
    3. Pull the power window switch and
    hold it to close the window, and then
    hold the switch more than 3 seconds
    after the window is closed completely.
    4. Release the power window switch. Operate
    the window by the automatic
    function to confirm the initialization is
    complete.
    5. Perform steps 2 through 4 above for
    other windows.

As for the horn when locking, when you use the button on the door handle it beeps. There is an option in one of the settings menu to turn beeps/horn off completely, but then you don't get a horn or beep with either fob or door handle button. I too, wish the fob lock/unlock would use beeps, but it appears there is no way to set it to do that. I pretty much use the door handle unlock/lock anyway though so I don't have to bother taking the fob out of my pocket, so I get beeps.
    Re: Gas Mileage:

Mrivision: A matter of mistaken identity. Don't mistake folks who buy a $50K car for those who care about the gas mileage. Yes, I'd not have bought my M-car if it gave me 5 mpg ... been there, done that with my wife's '74 Olds Custom Cruiser. As it is today I really don't care, give or take 5 miles.
  • brodie77brodie77 Member Posts: 17
    M45: 35 days, 3300 miles: 18.4-19.5 MPG. :shades:
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    I've seen a few questions whipping by in regards to phone "stuff".

The microphone is on the underside of the steering column.

If you'd prefer the car's audio system to ring when receiving a call, there is an on/off setting in phone settings for using car's ring tone.

I don't know if you guys are experiencing delays on incoming and outgoing calls but there is also an on/off setting in phone settings for automatically putting the call on hold before answering it. If this is set to on, the calling party believes the call to be answered and often begins talking before you have really "answered" the call.
  • erz1erz1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have not seen bourbon with the black exterior. I ordered the m35x in that color combo but itis not available until june. Is that combo worth waiting for. vers. black on black.. I thought bourbon/black would look very sharp. Any thought would be helpful. They have the black on black availble next week.
    I have the black exterior with the bourbon interior. I love it and get loads of compliments. As long as you have seen the bourbon color for yourself and like it, I don't think you can go wrong. Some people are turned off by it (calling it orange or pumpkin).

Even in MI, the car gets hot (assuming you are in the 15 minutes of sun per day). I have not noticed the seats getting too hot, though.

Whether you get the bourbon or black interior, remember that the headliner is a neutral, light gray.
    Anyone dealt with Salerno or Lynnes in NJ? They both quoted me invoice + $800 (some of you may have already seen my post on FA) if I was willing to order and wait till July. Any feedback on these two dealers would be great.
    Thanks.
  • undecided7undecided7 Member Posts: 92
    I got a similar call the other day where my dealer said they're getting a car on May 19 with XM with the exact options I ordered on my M35x in late March except that I ordered it with Sirius. He gave me the option to take delivery of the one with the XM radio or to wait. I called back yesterday and left him a message that I decided to wait for the Sirius. The estimated delivery date for the Sirius model was late June/early July. I hope I don't end up having to wait longer or get the run around like you're starting to get.
  • kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    Invoice +800 is the best deal I have seen posted so far on this forum!
    I know and this is why I am sceptical. But I will visit one or both of these dealerships on Saturday and will let you know. I just wanted to see if any of you guys dealth with them before.
    You did well. That will be a beautiful looking car.
  • jimbroutmanjimbroutman Member Posts: 6
    i'm curious as to why you would automatically put a call on hold before answering it? does anyone know why you would use this function?
  • tmitchtmitch Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have any suggestions on bluetooth phones by Sprint? I see they came out with some type of phone with a sliding feature, but was wondering if anyone had tried it. I'm picking up my M35 this Saturday.