Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    i don't know what people are talking about when they say the outgoing M45 is ugly. I think it's one of the coolest stealth cars you can buy. it has simple old-fashioned styling cues while being very high tech. it's body design is very solid and strong-looking imo. furthermore, i predict the old M45 will gain a stronger and more prestigious second life in the used car market, as they will be so hard to find that collectors seeking rare luxury cars with low production numbers will snatch them up. i've seen only one on the road and remember it's still a current model. remember how seldom you see last gen rx-7s? they're pretty hard to find still. hence the desirability. the replacement car for the M45 is alright, but it looks like all the other cars out there--boring.
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    If any dealer tells you they know the pricing, they are talking rubbish. No one at dealer level knows the pricing levels yet. They may guess but they don't know. My educated guess would be that it will be a couple of thousand more than the equivalent G35.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I would say the m45 will have the same price as the current model. discount that 5k and you have the m35. I would guess the 35 would be 38-44k and the 45 would be 44-50k. This almost mirrors the FX35 and 45 prices so I think that should be close.
  • c3po33c3po33 Member Posts: 67
    Just read that the M35 was pushed back till spring of 2005 as a 2006 model. Hope it's not true but it came from a reliable source at another site. If anybody has any more news please let us know. Thanks.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Might as well change the thread title to 2006 M35/45. Looks like the new M will come out as a 2006 model.
  • ndmdndmd Member Posts: 27
    I will be buying a new car in the next 6-7 months. I have been set on the 530i for some time, now. I am one that loves the new look. Anyway, now that I have seen the Fuga/M35 I may have changed my mind. The pictures are beautiful and I am confident that the bang for the buck will easily beat the Bimmer.

A recent article has said that the new M will be released at the New York Auto Show in April. If this is correct, I must think that a Summer to Fall availability is a possibility. Any Thoughts?
    Well, they'll probably announce availability at the NY autos how. Plus, we should have a better idea of the exterior/interior/specs by then.
    NEW YORK (Apr. 7, 2003) – Coming off a “big” introduction of the QX56 full-size SUV at the NAIAS in Detroit, Infiniti is set for another exciting, sensuous debut - the M45 Concept. Also being introduced at the NYIAS is the revamped 2005 Q45 Performance Luxury Sedan. Join us for the Infiniti press conference on Wednesday, April 7. Detailed information on both vehicles will be available following the press conference at http://www.infinitinews.com.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    SWEET! I can't wait for the M45 concept! Hopefully, it looks closer to production that the Fuga.

Q45 updated? Whoa! I hope it can finally sell well! It's an awesome car with an awesome engine and interior, brought down by that hard-to-use navigation system. Go Infiniti!
    Just checked out the Nissan/Infiniti news bureau and I am so excited for NYIAS! Chevy's got their American Revolution, so should this be called the Import Revolution? LOL Altima SE-R should be a big hit too!

Hmm..I'm curious. Since the current XTERRA and Frontier are the same car, but the new Pathfinder and Frontier are the same, what will be of the XTERRA?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Good catch about the Xterra/Frontier and now Pathfinder/Frontier platform sharing strategies. I was wondering the same thing myself. And can someone PLEASE tell us whats going on with the next Sentra?!? I was recently in Europe, and if its true that the Renault Megane is an indication of the next Sentra- personally, I think its way too radical for this market and that the car will sink.

Back to the M35/M45. NYIAS is going to rock! These cars appear to be awesome! We have the new 5 series, the new E-class, the upcoming A6 redesign, the much improved and better looking Lexus GS redesign, and now these models. Outstanding!

And yes, styling is subjective... but I dont know that I could be friends with anyone who finds the current M45 attractive. Its positively repulsive, the rear end looks as though as they forgot to finish styling the car. Horrid back seat as well. Did Nissan really expect this stopgap car to sell? Guess not.

~alpha
    I really like the Fuga looks also. To date, I've only seen one negative review of the design of the Fuga. It was by Automobile magazine in a small blurb at the beginning when they talk about future cars. They said something to the effect of "They (Nissan) still do not get it."

Automobile does detailed design analysis of cars, and they use more pages to talk about car designs than any other car magazine. I'm not sure who awarded them a design degree. Maybe they have a couple guys working there who does have a background in design. It's pretty useless if you ask me. It's a pretty subjective area and people can determine for themselves whether or not a car looks good. Automobile magazine should pay more attention to its test drives and reviews, which in general suck and don't provide any numbers.
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    This car looks like a complete winner. I hope nissan changes nothing or very little on this concept car, and it makes it way to showrooms as the M35/45. Nissan would also be a fool to have this car overpriced like the German imports. This car should start out at around 35k and max out for a fully loaded V8 powered m45 at 45k. I hope it comes out this year as a an 05 model. It will be on my shopping list, and I hope they keep the blue instumentation. Way to go Nissan!
    that have been discussed, this car would be an absolute homerun. I only hope that it is available in the fall. That is when ,my lease is up. It will kill me if I have to "settle" for another car and then the M arrives a few months later. (Wow, I never thought that I would consider leasing a 530i as "settling").
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Price it at beginning $38K for the M35 to about $50K for the M45 similiar to the FX pricing. I think 340 h.p. M45 with all the toys will be the performance bargain of the group. Offer the 6spd. manual in the M45 and this baby will give the 545 a big run. Nissan do not put a low level grade interior in these cars!
    According to autospies, the M will be available in March 2005 as a 2006 model. Only the M35 will be available in AWD, not the M45.
    Why would they wait a full year to release the car after they introduce it at the autoshow. It makes no sense to me. I hope it still arrives in the fall.
  • jayryanjayryan Member Posts: 1
    I am also looking forward to the M35. The Fuga concept is very interesting and the interior is futuristic and classy. I wonder how much of those design themes will show up on the actual M35/M45.

My next car will be in the 45k range, and it will be interesting to see how the M35 stacks up against the new GS300 and the upcoming Acura RL.
    The 2006 M is scheduled to go into production in December 2004 and come to dealers in March 2005.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Yes, I'm very curious about these three cars as well. Lexus has a brand new Inline 6 for the next GS300, and AWD, apparently the M35 will have AWD, and the RL will have Acura's new SH-AWD. The E has gotten boring, the 5 is ugly, and the new A6 is just.. wierd. Bring on Japan!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The new GS has a new V6, the inline 6 is being dropped.

M
    Oh? Is it the corporate 3.3L? I havent heard anything about a "GS330"
    No, it's a "new" 3.0 V6 w/ 245 hp.
    http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/concept2005/m45.shtml

From NissanNews.com

Infiniti M45 Concept Offers Sensuous Styling, Enriching Interior and Invigorating Performance

The Infiniti M45 Concept, which made its world debut at the New York International Auto Show, offers a unique, advanced look into the future design and technology direction of Infiniti. The M45 Concept captures the essence of both the current M45 performance sport sedan and the award-winning Infiniti G35 – and takes both to a new level of engaging luxury and performance.

“The M45 Concept is an expression of power, refinement, technology and style – all the things that make Infiniti owners’ hearts pound,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. “We have captured the soul of the Infiniti brand, expressing it in unique, forward thinking ways in the M45 Concept – most of which will appear in the new 2006 M45, which is scheduled to arrive in spring 2005.”

An Enhanced FM Platform

The M45 Concept features a powerful 340-horsepower 4.5-liter V8, taken from the flagship Infiniti Q45, along with a new generation of the FM (Front Mid-ship) platform currently used on the G35 sedan, G35 coupe and FX premium crossover SUV. Approximately 60 percent of the platform design and components have been enhanced for use with the M45 Concept.

The new, redefined platform is designed to accommodate the M45 Concept’s 4.5-liter V8 engine or a 3.5-liter V6, continuing to position the engine behind the front axle. As in current applications, this positioning results in an optimized front-to-rear weight balance, which factors in weight transfer during key handling maneuvers. Also like the production FM platform, the M45 Concept’s large diameter wheels and tires are positioned out near the corners of the vehicle, providing an extra measure of handling stability and driving excitement. The M45 Concept’s suspension is an independent double-wishbone design in front and multi-link independent in the rear.

Sensuous Exterior Design

From a design standpoint, the M45 Concept optimizes both luxury and sport styling to create a dynamic visual sensation. The expressive, jewel-like grille and crystal-look headlight clusters offer a luxurious appeal, while large 19-inch wheels and high performance tires, a stable posture with wide tread, and short overhangs contribute to the sportiness of the design.

The M45 Concept also offers a low, aggressive hoodline, which flows into the anchored shoulders and contributes to the sporty, powerful silhouette. The roofline is fluid, while the hood and front fenders are sculpted to provide a solid, muscular look. In the rear, L-shaped LED taillights and quad-tipped tailpipes finish out the exterior design.

The M45 Concept features a long wheelbase and short overhangs – providing a roomy interior and highly manageable exterior dimensions. A wide front and rear track adds to the M45 Concept’s handling stability, while further enhancing interior and trunk volume. The M45 Concept also features lightweight body components, including aluminum-alloy inner and outer door panels, hood and decklid panels, while its aerodynamic design provides zero front lift.

Confident, Explosive Performance and a New Active Rear Control System

At the heart of the M45 Concept is the high-performance power of an advanced 4.5-liter, 340-horsepower DOHC V8, mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission with a short-throw performance shifter with manual shift mode. The M45 Concept’s advanced braking system is designed to offer a confidence-inspiring brake pedal feel and enhanced pedal response, while the steering system is designed to enhance the engaging driving experience through a high-flow hydraulic boost system and micro-polished steering gear and robust rack mounting. The M45 Concept also features Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC).

The handling and stability of the Infiniti M45 Concept is greatly enhanced by a new active rear control system. Unlike passive rear steering systems, this design features motor-driver rear-wheel control. This system helps improve the M45’s handling performance by adjusting the geometry of the rear suspension according to steering input and vehicle speed.

The system’s electronic control unit calculates the desired vehicle dynamics from a series of sensors, including vehicle speed and steering angle, and directs the system actuator to change rear geometry by moving both rear suspension lower links. The result is sports car-like agility, combined with luxury sedan stability.

A Highly Personalized, Enriching Interior Atmosphere

Like the M45 Concept’s performance, its interior design engages the senses in new and invigorating ways. It combines a driver-oriented cockpit with a graceful, Infiniti level of luxury and design detail.

“The interior of the M45 Concept provides a ‘hand in-glove fit.’ It is the most indulgent, high-quality design that Infiniti has ever offered – one that indicates a new wave of Infiniti interior design,” said Igo. “It reflects a more passionate interior direction, which is already starting to appear in production Infiniti vehicles.”

The modern and intuitive interior layout focuses on ease-of-use and a purposeful simplicity. Interior features include leather-appointed climate controlled seats, an advanced “Solar Eclipse” instrument lighting system, power reclining rear seats and an advanced surround audio system with 14-speaker 5.1-channel decoding with two personal speakers mounted in each front seat.

“This is, without a doubt, the finest audio system ever created for an Infiniti vehicle, with sound performance every bit the equal of the car’s driving performance,” said Igo.

The interior also offers an array of driver and passenger-oriented technology features, many of which are found in today’s Infiniti production vehicles, including the Infiniti Intelligent Key system with push button start. This system eliminates the need to take the key fob out of your pocket when locking, unlocking and starting the engine. Other features include an Infiniti Navigation System with a new user interface featuring voice-activated destination entry, HVAC/audio and Bluetooth wireless connectivity, RearView monitor and Intelligent Cruise Control.

High Tech Safety Systems with New Lane Departure System

The M45 Concept also showcases the latest in Infiniti safety technology, including a new Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system. The system recognizes lane markings and calculates the lateral distance between the vehicle and the lane marking, along with vehicle speed relative to the marking, and generates an audible signal to warn the driver of a pending, unintended lane departure. Engagement of the turn signals turns off the system and it also includes a driver cancel switch.

“Over 58 percent of fatal accidents in the United States are caused by lane departures, including single vehicle and head-on accidents,”
    Thats what has me confused. If this is a from scratch engine, why 3.0L? Toyota has got to know that both Nissan and Honda will be throwing their 3.5s at them. If its the old 3.0L RX300 V6.. why that engine? Why not bump up the inline?

I really hope Infinti keeps that look, especially the interior. Its the best looking Infiniti EVER. Its sexier than the '05 RL, and.. well I'd have to see the '05 GS\'06 M45 in person to really make that choice.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Its not based on any other existing architecture in the Toyota/Lexus stable. My guess is that Toyota kept displacement down in effort to maximize a power/efficiency balance. As gas prices rise, even the affluent will be paying attention to MPG.

~alpha
    Yeah, it is a new engine. Totally new, not just the old one!
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    The M is my next car the interior is absolutely mind blowing. so much for the cheap interior knock on infiniti.
    lexusguy,

alpha's reasoning seems sound. probably less weight from the 3.0L leading to better handling. Lexus has never been about being the horsepower leader anyway.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    In many parts of the world (Japan included), auto tax is based on displacement, not its current value. Therefore, you see displacements like 2997cc for 3.0L. 3.3L would jump into another bracket of tax. In Europe, Lexus is selling RX300 in the new RX330 body. Fuel econemy sould be another reason.

The weight increase from 3.0 to 3.3 is usually very minimal (by increasing stroke). IMHO.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Looking at the side profile of this new M45 I see a lot of similarity to my 2nd Gen '98 GS300 - does anyone else? I know the front and rear lighting areas are different but it sure looks familiar in profile shots.

I struggle with interior placement of the seating controls. There has to be some logic behind placing them on the interior seat surface but it escapes me.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Am I right that M interior has no wood in sight? What an interior! Different from anyone else, looks like a cockpit to me!
    I don't mind the seat controls, but I can see how it'd be a problem for wider people.

The M Concept has no wood, but I bet they offer it as a low-cost or no-cost option. Every other car in its segment offers wood. Even the G35 offers wood.
    I heard if you get the luxury package it adds some wood trim, but the sport package makes the whole interior titanium trim.
    The current big four midsize sports sedans are the A6, 5, E, and GS. I'm quite sure that this new M45 will make its way into the next round of comparison tests. Now they just need to fix (or drop) the Q
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I think they need to re-position the Q as a true S-Class, 7-Series, A8, LS430 (ultra), XJ competitor and quite trying to straddle both classes, that strategy simply won't work for anyone except Lexus' LS (56-70k+). Also please stop with the sports sedan rhetoric pertaining to the Q45, everyone knows a sedan that big can't be a true sports sedan, and the truly "sporty" sedans of that size and class (XJR, S55 AMG, 745i/760i, next S8) will humiliate the Q45 in that area. Luxury is still the first priority in the upper class.

M
    Agreed. Nissan's 4.5L is a great engine, but comprared to M-Bs supercharged handbuilt V8s, theres just no contest. The Q is also just too small and too close to the M45. Im not really sure if I would put the XJR in the same class as the AMGs and Audi S\RS cars. The J is faster yes, but aside from bigger tires, the brakes and most of the suspension bits are largely the same as their J8 counterparts.

Im really not sure if the Q is even necessary. In the early 90s Infiniti tried to make the Q the sporty alternative to the LS, and it didnt really work. With the next generation it got less sporty and more lux oriented, and nobody really liked that car either. The current Q tries to be somewhere inbetween, and it hasnt worked. They arent going to be able to out lux the LS, as thats Lexus' ultimate expersion of the best they've got, and you really cant beat Lexus at their own game. It also wont be able to out sport the S55\65 or 745i.. so its ultimately doomed to be an also-ran
    Build the new Infiniti M at infiniti.com now! Wow, it's really amazing me...and yes, wood trim is available

Here's the lineup:
    V6 RWD
    V6 RWD Sport
    V6 AWD
    V8 RWD
    V8 RWD Sport

Looks perfect! Especially the 270+HP V6!!!
    I checked out the new M in person at New York today. GORGEOUS. The best exterior styling and the best interior Infinti has EVER done. BUILD IT JUST LIKE THAT!
    lexusguy,

Did you get to sit in the M? How are the quality of interior materials?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Even better than the photos. Unfortunately, they only had the one vehicle and it was blocked off, but the front and rear passenger side doors were open, and I was really impressed by the interior. Gotta say Infiniti has a definite winner with the new M. Although, I am also a fan of the current M style as well, the new one is certainly more elegant.
    Unfortunately when I was there, it was on a rotating platform with ropes, similar to the GS and the RL. Since these are pre-production cars, I dont think they want the public in them just yet.
  • legendaryllegendaryl Member Posts: 1
    Quote:
    #88 of 95 M by lexusguy Apr 08, 2004 (11:35 pm)
    The current big four midsize sports sedans are the A6, 5, E, and GS. I'm quite sure that this new M45 will make its way into the next round of comparison tests. Now they just need to fix (or drop) the Q

Reply:
    I think you need to include the new RL with that group since the '05 will likely come down in size from the current RL and sport SH-AWD, 300 HP, and extensive aluminum. I can't wait to test drive all these (A6new, 5nearly new, E?, GSnew, and RLnew). They will provide some great choices and, hopefully, competition for price discounts!!
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    for people shopping for mid-sized luxury sedans.
    New Audi-A6, barely new BMW-530, MB-E320, new GS, new M35, new RL, CTS-V. I can almost see the titles of comparison articles from all auto mags.
    "$50K Mid-sized Luxury Sports Sedans Shoot-out!"
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    i actually like it. But the tail lights are a little wild. It's probably going to be at the higher end of my price range, so I would probably buy a G35 instead.
    Yup, 05 will be a great year! BTW, isn't the E=Class V6 going to be E350, not E320 for 2005?
    Somehow I dont see it being included. The rest of the above mentioned cars command a certain presence, have luxuriously sculpted interiors, and are the ultimate in suspension and engine refinement. The CTS-V has none of that. Its a big block truck engine mashed into a midsize car, with an interior thats not good enough for its $30K regular price. Maybe in Motortrend, but I defintitely dont see it in a C&D comparo.
    OK, I am no Cadillac fan, but I think you are selling the CTS-V a little short. First, its MSRP is $50+K. The base CTS is $30K. The engine is no truck engine. It is a 400HP Corvette engine, which is no slouch. The interior may be lacking, but even C&D was impressed with the performance.