Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• kphkph Member Posts: 40
    The RRP/Camel/5AT/Navi I ordered in mid-January came in and I picked it up this evening. The dealership has a "delivery area" where the sales people were meeting with owners and going through their cars -- it was solid TLs tonight...

With some driving around town tonight, so far it is fantastic. Can't wait to get through the break in period where I don't feel the need to baby it. Everything seems to work perfectly - no rattles, vibrations or any other problems noticable so far.

Will really enjoy driving in to work tomorrow morning!!
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Picked up my new Redondo Red / Parchment / non-navi / 5AT on May 6th. It's June 3rd now and I already have 1500 miles on it. I love it! The handling is much better than my wide-track grand prix.

The only minor problem I've had (besides a nail in the tire, which was patchable thank goodness) is the passenger seat headrest won't stay in the highest position. It keeps falling back to the middle setting.

Going to look at snow tires / rims tonight as I am in Cleveland and I can get a good deal on a slightly used set. Normally I wouldn't look at snow tires when I have all seasons, but this is a good deal.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I guess I should check in as a new member too -- picked up my car on May 27th.

Love it so far. Most pleasant surprise is the impeccable fit and finish inside and out. Everything fits and lines up perfectly. I literally can't find anything misfitted. Slight disappointment is that the leather on the seats seems to wrinkle and sag very easily. That and maybe the other minor complaint would be that the throttle spring is a tad tight.
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Do you find that the steering is over-assisted?
    I'm not sure if I would classify it as "overassisted", but I do find that it doesn't quite have that "planted" on-centre feel. Maybe a little "loose". Almost like the feeling you get when the tires are over-inflated. By comparison, I almost find that our '02 Accord has a better on-centre feel. Of course, the TL reacts, and feels, much better when you're doing quick left/right manouvres.
    You know what, I can easily live with the steering, but I actually find the new drive-by-wire throttle system more difficult to get accustomed to. It is, IMO, artificially stiff. I suppose it has eliminated some of the jerkiness in the old CL-S/TL-S especially at tip-in, but the new system somehow feels "detached", if there is such a thing. With the old mechanical system, I could "feel" how much throttle I was feeding the thing, but now it feels the same whether I'm 1/4 way down, or 1/2 way down, or whatever. And also the car seems to slow super quick when you lift off of the throttle -- almost feels like the brake has been applied.
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    "And also the car seems to slow super quick when you lift off of the throttle -- almost feels like the brake has been applied."

Yeah, that's the VSA at work. Sometimes it's too intrusive. When I'm in the mood, I over-ride the system and spin the tires a little.
    I don't think it's the VSA. The situation I'm referring to is when you try to accelerate, then, say traffic slows in front of you, so you lift off the throttle, then the car often (but not everytime) would slow quite abruptly. I attribute it to the electronic brain in the drive-by-wire system.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    I think your car is still in a break in period, during the period all pistons and its rings are usually very tight against the chamber. Its a sign of a high compression (ring/piston's adjustment to the cylinder chamber), which is normal for new car. I could be wrong but it will be gone soon. Mine was gone at about 1k mile.
    you're probably right. Thanks for heads-up.
    Does anyone know of any retail stores in Vancouver, B.C. that sell DVD-A titles? I checked at HMV, one of the largest, and they don't seem to have any.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    Bobble - check out Best Buy if they have locations in Vancouver. The ones out Toronto way have a DVD-A section but overall selection for DVD-A still seems quite poor.
  • whackywhacky Member Posts: 4
    kph-

I am moving to the Minneapolis area in a week and have been in contact with the three Acura dealers in the area. Will probably be purchasing a TL in the next couple of weeks, if I find the right one. What has been your experience with the dealers there? Any preferences? Not much of a discount off MSRP.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Check out the Prices Paid & Buying Experience forum. Lots there about this kind of question.
  • jrkellyjrkelly Member Posts: 21
    Hi all,

After much shopping around, I finally purchased my Desert Mist/Parchment, auto, non-nav today and I'm thrilled with it. I've never had a ticket in my life but I was extremely concerned today. It's such a smooth and quiet ride that you don't realize how fast you're going.

The only complaint I have with the car is lack of visibility when backing up. Other than that, I'm getting used to the brakes and steering and having a lot of fun driving it. This is the best car purchase I've ever made. Happy 4th of July to all!

Gina
    Mansfield, TX
    Welcome to the club! The rear visibility does take a little getting used to. I thought that, and the feel of the drive-by-wire throttle system, were the 2 things that required some adjustment time (for me anyway).
  • pyranhamdpyranhamd Member Posts: 15
    I pick up my new 6spd/Navi black on black baby at 4 this afternoon! Any physics geniuses out there that can help me speed up the time a bit?

Chris
    Apparently if you run really really fast, so that you speed up the rotational volocity of the earth, time will also speed up. :)

(Superman turned back time by counter-spinning the earth)
  • chiangjchiangj Member Posts: 17
    I thought some of you may have noticed that the alloy rim is actually a bit wider than the low profile tire. So be careful and avoid to hit the curb when turn. Otherwise, it will scratch your alloy rims. Unfortunately, I got scratch for my two wheels on right side! Good lucky.
  • rcoppolrcoppol Member Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to get a 2003 TL with less than 13K mi for about $24K. I am willing to get a new 2004 or 2005. Used TL is in mint condition. I am not familiar with differences between 2003 and 04 or 05. I would appreciate any advice on differences or things to consider in this ecision.

Thanks
    Rich
  • mattdmattd Member Posts: 5
    I don't know if that is a good price for the 2003, but there was a MAJOR redesign for 2004. You'd better take a look at the 2003, then go to a showroom to decide, they are different cars.
  • tlgreattlgreat Member Posts: 2
    Spend a little more and be happy with '04. The ELS sound system is worth the price! Performance and gas mileage much better then my '99. I didn't think the Nav was necessary but now, I wouldn't buy another car without it. From the reviews, there's not much change to TL for '05. There's a big change in the RL.
  • tlgreattlgreat Member Posts: 2
    My controls on my steering column are warm. Its above the mode and cruse control buttons. Anyone else having this problem?
    You must've bought the heated steering wheel option. :)
    Actually I noticed on my way home last night that the metal trims on my steering wheel control were also warm. So it must be normal.
  • kevheadkevhead Member Posts: 13
    I love everything about it!!!! I ordered Anthracite with quartz + navi, boy is it sharp. The technology in this vehicle is amazing. Every time I get in it it's like christmas morning.

Kevin
    Chicago, IL
  • gordsgords Member Posts: 13
    Well, the deed is done. Ordered ours on Saturday. Nighthawk Black with Camel Interior.
    Navi package.

And who gave us the best deal in town. Acura?
    Nope, the Honda dealer where we purchased our
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L new. It just shows that an off chance question can oftem times lead to a very amenable conclusion. I cannot wait to get behind the wheel. Next hurdle is trying to convince the local dealers where we did not purchase the vehicle to service it. I guess I will have to remind them that I was buying their product and they will still be able to collect on servicing and/or installation of any add ons that may make their way onto the car in the probably near future. I am happier than an oinker in do-dah.
    "Next hurdle is trying to convince the local dealers where we did not purchase the vehicle to service it."

They shouldn't need convincing. They should welcome the business.

And congrats on your purchase. Happy motoring.
    Bodble2...
    Having owned your TL now for a while now, are there any areas of concern that you have found required addressing. I wish I knew how to apply my Canadian Flag to my profile here so you would also know I am a fellow Canadian. I was really impressed that during our test drive with the nav system up and running how accurate it was mapping out our location in my area of Oakville - Burlington, Ontario. I was impressed. Many thanks in advance for your wisdom. GordS
    Overall I would say I've been quite happy with my TL. There are just a few relatively minor negative issues. In no particular order, they are: Interior squeaks and rattles; the door springs are a bit too strong (you'd have to careful that the doors don't spring open and smash into the car next to you, or snap back and smack you in the head when you're exiting!); the seat leather tends to stretch easily; the audible "beep" for the keyless entry is very feeble; there's a fair amount of brake dust from the front pads; rearward vision is somewhat limited, especially if you're not a tall person; the drive-by-wire throttle is not always as smooth as it can be (in terms of around-town driveability, our '02 Accord V6 is better); brakes are strong, but could be a bit grabby in low-speed situations.

I think that's it. I'll post again if I can think of something else.
    Bodble2..

Thank you for the "look out for" list.

I have a copy in hand and will keep these obsevations of yours in the Acura file. As you say, these would appear to be minor niggles with the car. Looking forward to picking it up soon. My dealer appears to be still trying to locate one in the area. Suspense is killing me.

GordS
    One more niggle -- the glove box cover is misaligned. I think this is a fairly common problem and may be contributing to the aforementioned squeaks and rattles. On mine, if I open the front passenger door and look at the right side of the glove box cover, I can see that the gap between the cover and the glove box is not even (it widens out at the bottom). (Since it nothing major, I'm waiting until the first oil change to have the dealer take a look at it).
    Once again thank you for the insight. I will look for this on delivery. Monday the 20th. looks like D (delivery) day. I am like a kid on Christmas eve.

GordS
    Got your TL yet?
    Boy, does the TL have one spiffy-looking oil dipstick or what! It's sturdy and hefty enough to use for self-defence. I always hated the old, thin "blade" type that always seem to get snagged when you push it back into the tube.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    lol, I'll keep that dipstick in mind next time somebody tries to carjack me.
    Bodble..

I sure do.... have had THE CAR since Monday last.

What a beauty. Nighthawk Black with the Camel interior, Navi package. I have had it out a couple of times, but waiting till the break in period is completed before taking it out to stretch its legs. Filled it up yesterday and was almost floored by how *CHEAP* and *TINNY* the fuel filler door is. I find myself going out to the garage for all kinds of reasons just to look at her. (and it is a her.. we get the english/french voice in female in Canada I guess, while our American cousins get to opt between male/female voice recognition. Moot to be sure. This car is extremely satisfying.. and a real head turner to be sure.

Safe Driving,

GordS
  • ferrisferris Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently the proud owner of a 1997 CL 3.0. I say "proud" as I truly believe in the performance and reliability of Honda/Acura, regardless of the negative comments that they get due to their automatic transmission issues - but it's this that has created my concerns. My CL has 143,000 miles on it and I'm now at the point that I'm looking into a TL w/ navi. My issue is whether to get the 6 sp manual or stay to the automatic. The plus with the stick is that my wife can't drive it. I'm also the guy on the block that loves driving stick but has never owned one. My wife has a 2003 Honda Pilot that seems to acquire a new scratch everytime she goes somewhere. My CL does have its issues w/ the auto trans, i.e. the jerking back and forth, seemingly getting "confused" with which gear to be in. I've managed to figure out the best way to drive the car depending on the type of traffic I'm in, but I'd like to not have to drive an automatic like a stick if I don't have to. I'm also curious to see if Acura will bring out an all wheel version of the TL such as they're putting on the redesigned RL.

Any comments or suggestions?
    Congrats! Black/Camel looks great, even though you'll have to wash it every other day!

And talking about cheap parts, I forgot to mention that I think the sun visors and the moonroof interior shade is rather flimsy to be found in a car in this price range.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I have an 01 TL with 53k miles.I change the oil every 7500 miles and don't get stuck in stop and go traffic much.How long can I expect before problems develop, assuming I follow the owners manual closely.So far I have had brakes redone and tranny replaced (warranty).Also the drivers seat was wearing on the left side bolster but was fixed before the warranty expired.So far dealer experience has been great.I also have a new v6 Highlander with similar size engine but it feels so much weaker,Is VTEC that much better than Toyota VVti?
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    Bobble/Gords,

Are you guys both happy with the Nav option now that you have had the car for a while?

When I priced mine out last year, it came to about a $4400 Cdn difference in price given the difference in discounts and then applicable taxes on top. I am tempted however to pop in to the dealer and see what it would cost me to swap out my 04 for an 05 with Navi and in Anthracite (which is now available in AT).....just for fun.....don't tell my wife.....
    brew, to be honest, since I have been driving almost exclusively within the city of Vancouver, I have not really needed to use the Nav, except for fun! When I ventured out occasionally, into some of the suburbs like Surrey, New Westminster, etc. then I have used it. And so far it has performed as promised, albeit under limited circumstances.
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    hi. I bought an '05 non navg auto after a many months search considering 1. a immaculate 02 tls w/ 32k miles, 2. a loaded nice 03 tls w/ 37k miles, 3 a new 04 tl auto at invoice,and then finally my white tl auto. Each car was terrific in its way, but I decided to buy for a keeper to have for 8 yr or more. And the pricing at Lindsay Acura of Columbus and Cleveland Acura was very accomodating.
    My major focus this 3rd day of ownership is learning the audio system. Later I'll work on the drive by wire! Today at least I got the garage door to operate!
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    This audio system is still a challenge! ONe of the Cd's is not being recognized (played) and I also haven't figured out how to take them out! Where do you put the quarters to play them?
  • doctored5doctored5 Member Posts: 11
    I picked up my '05 abyss blue pearl auto with navi Saturday from Jones Acura in Lancaster, PA. They gave me a great deal & were exremely easy to deal with. I still have to master the finer points of the navi system, but it got me back to the DC metro area through a sudden storm around Baltimore Saturday afternoon. My current issue is finding a blue tooth phone that works with Verizon, or consider switching services.
  • john50john50 Member Posts: 1
    I have not purchased a TL yet but I have negotiated a price on a silver/black interior 2001 model at our local Accura dealer. My concern after doing a bit of reading on the internet is the transmission. Is this likely to be a problem with this model year? It is a great car and I have taken it on a couple of test drives. I really like it but of course it is out of warranty and a transmission failure would be a disaster.
    Check to see whether they've extended the warranty on the transmission. They did on my '01 CL-S
  • liscaprez1liscaprez1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 tl and an 04 tl. The radio in the 04 is FABULOUS. First check out XM Radio. Then go invest in some dvd audio cds. I load the cd changer or settle in to xm74 and I'm good for 3 or 4 hundred miles. I don't know how they could have improved on the '04, but let me tell you that this car ROCKS. It just about drives itself, takes off like a bullet and gets damn near 30 mpg on the road, use high test gas there is a difference. I bought the 04 for my wife the first week they came out. I gave the '99.

PS my other car is a 50th anniversary vette convertible with a six speed. I have trouble deciding which car to drive.

liscaprez
    Where did you go to find DVD-audio disks?
  • monzimonzi Member Posts: 4
    Bought my 2004 TL in March 04 and I love it... Have 7200 miles on it with only a few comments. 1) Slight vibration at 1500RPM, can feel it in the steering wheel and the gas pedal 2) the driver side door bumps inward when I roll down my window and 3) I've had a few of the plastic covers pop off the interior of the car, easy to pop back on but at this price I wouldn't expect it.
    Now, what I like: 1) acceleration above 3500rpm, yehaaa 2) DVD audio and even regular CD's sound awesome in this system 3) comfort for everyone, front and back 4) Fit and finish on the inside and outside is great, thought it would have been nice to have a 60/40 split fold down rear seat 5) acceleration above 3500rpm, yehaa 6) XM radio - variety, station 150 comedy 24/7... 7) I've averaged 24.5 mpg in most driving conditions, that's great for this kind of performance car 8) standard road side assistance, I've used it once when I got a flat, I was back on the road in less than 40 minutes.
    Over all I really like the car and I enjoy getting in it each and every time.
This discussion has been closed.