Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    jlm, thx for the info and congrats on your new purchase! One of the best drives I have ever done is the Sea to Sky Highway (weather, construction and traffic pending of course). I can imagine what a great drive you will have in your new TL! BTW, how do you find the nav system working for you in Cda, since it is a (relatively) new system for Acura?

bobble, good luck with your trade. I was in the same position with my A4, not getting nearly enough for my trade. Fortunately (or unfortunately) some idiot rear ended while parked and it is a complete write-off. I am now getting retail replacement value vs. wholesale which means another 30-35% more than Acura was willing to give me on the trade in November. (My wife thinks I paid someone off to run into the A4....:)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You must have had limited depreciation insurance coverage. Not a bad deal but thank God you weren't sitting in the car at the time. This brings to mind a friend who also had her Audi wiped out by a dump truck while it was parked literally a couple of minutes before she returned to it. If she was a couple of minutes early, she would have been probably just turning the car on...... scary thought!
    Well, things happened very quickly. I had my CL-S in for servicing this morning. While I was waiting I ran into my saleslady. She suggested they may as well appraise for trade-in allowance. Came back @ $22,500. We wrote up the paper for Auto/Nav, and they include wheel locks, winter mats, trunk tray, and lip spoiler. So basically I got about $1k of accessories with trade-in allowance of $22,500. The trade-in allowance was better than I feared and lower than I hoped for. I didn't really push for a higher trade-in 'cause I figured with brand new CL-S sitting there for under $35K, there wouldn't have been that much more room. I chose Abyss Blue with Camel, ETA is April. Supposedly they need to re-appraise trade-in after 30 days but I think I will insist on same allowance at that time. My car is in pristine condition and I won't put on more than 2000 km in 2 months.
    BTW, I test drove the demo again today and the blue looks absolutely gorgeous in daylight. I was wavering between the blue and the Desert Mist but on closer inspection I think the blue wins hands down. The Camel is a bit too yellow for my taste but I guess you can't have everything!
    Congratulations! Sounds like you received a very fair deal considering trade-in and all. Too bad about the wait however.....I guess being the Premier didn't make much difference in reducing your wait time.....

I should be close soon if all works out and the dealers out east seem to have . I am also favouring the Abyss Blue but with Ebony interior. I wanted to stay away from a dark colour but for some reason it kept drawing me in. I checked with Bell Mobility and they do not have a bluetooth phone available at all which is making me double think the nav. Need to double check with a cell retailer about adding a non-bell phone to the network.
    Funny you should bring up the Premier. Ok, I'll admit first that I "borrowed" his name. But apparently the real Gordon Campbell bought the original demo from the same dealership. Everyone was joking that he had to wait until he got his driver's licence back. So, watch for Mr. Campbell driving around B.C. in a blue TL w/ black interior.
    Great story!!
    I was wondering if you may have found out any more info on bell's plans to add bluetooth phones to their network in the near future. I called today and they told me they currently do not offer and the person I talked to had no idea if they ever would.

They did suggest talking to a cellular retailer to see if a non-Bell phone could be configured to work on their network. Did not get a chance to do this yet and have no idea if this is even feasible but wanted to check with you to see if you had a chance to research. I am really debating the nav or non-nav option and the hands free link to me is quite valuable - if it works!
  • pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    Berw, I've been checking out Bluetooth phones as well. Fortunately, I'm already with Rogers and they already have a couple to choose from and I gather some more will be available in April. Both Sony/Ericson and Motorola seem to be into the bluetooth technology.

Mr. Premier. Interesting, it came down to the Blue and Desert Mist for me as well and I decided on the Desert Mist. I own a black Maxima now and, while a dark car looks good when it's clean, the added heat in the summer and the visibility of the dirt swung me the other way.
    Oh, I agonized long and hard over whether to go for Desert Mist or Abyss Blue, especially since I liked the parchment better than the camel interior. But that blue really sparkles under the light! Also I had a similar colour to the Desert Mist before on a '89 Accord but I've never had a blue car before, so......, but let me tell you, it was not an easy decision!

(Also blue looks more dignified for a provincial premier, don't you think? :))
    I hope there is no law against cyber impersonation!
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    will have the dark color syndrome too? I like parchment better too and among the ext. that has it red is the I like most but it's kinda dark too. Gold is good but I already have one with champagne on a lexus. Any one with red TL can share its look?
    Saw one in the showroom. Didn't really care for it. I suspect it will be the least popular colour.
    That might work to my advantage I guess. I like blue too, but I still can't get over the Camel one. Maybe just go with the can't-go-wrong silver/black. But they are everywhere!
  • aciampiaciampi Member Posts: 66
    I was looking at the Red with Parchment at an auto show in Boston and I absolutly fell in love with it. I have yet to see one on the road or at any dealer. I was told that dealers generally don't stock that color because the main buyers of that car are mid-life crisis guys in their 50's.(not my words) So the only way for me to get one would be special order, and I am an impatient man so I opted for the Abyss blue with Quarts and have not been disapointed. But if both cars had been available at the same time, I would have picked the red.
    on red? Guess I've to wait a bit.

Come to think of it, I did not drive a red one in my 20's. The heck for a red when I am.... Maybe they are right, lol.
  • kphkph Member Posts: 40
    Well, I have a Red/Camel AT/Navi on order for delivery in late March. The dealer I worked with had a couple of Red/Parchment coming in February - unclaimed when I talked with them around New Years. They had placed a couple of other Red/Parchment orders, and I happened to be the second Red/Camel order the day I placed it.

Now, there is absolutely nothing more subjective than color preference. You really can't buy based on reading other's preferences here. In looking through the exterior/leather color combinations they offer, you really can't buy a combination that does not work (IMHO) -- those that don't work, aren't available as options.

That said, my own thinking was as follows regarding exterior colors:
    Black - never had one, never will - can't imagine getting into it in the summer. Never been drawn to it -- obviously, others think differently.

White - never had one, never thought I would. Took a look at it on this car. White with either parchment or camel would be a sharp vehicle.

Silver - Attractive, but only available in Ebony/Quartz (see below) and this color will be everywhere. I plan on running this car until it is old, so popular color for resale isn't important to me at all -- less than having something I see everywhere.

Green - have had two dark green cars in a row since 1995. Like the color, but time for a change.

Desert tan - I am trading in the 2001 Civic that my mother left us when she died last fall. It is almost exactly this color. When I see it, I think about my mother. Not an option for me right now.

Blue/Gray - Very nice options. I would have been happy with either if I had been in a situation of negotiation for price off the lot.

Red - Very rich looking color. I have never had a red car (while not 50, I am not that far away!;) ) If this had been a candy apple or fire engine red, I would not have been so inclined. But this red is classy, IMHO. Since I wanted one in March (past peak snow season) that meant "order" so I decided to pick what I liked the best.

The other factor for me was interior. I have a '98 Accord EX that I picked up used last year after my '95 Integra GS-R was stolen. The Accord has leather seats that look pretty darned close to Parchment.

My opinion is that while this color is "nice", it is kind of bland to me.

We test drove a Blue/Camel AT/non-navi, and I loved the warmth of the Camel interior. One of the previous posters said "too yellow" -- but I thought that yellow/gold gave it a warmth I didn't think the parchment had (they had a tan/parchment on the lot to sit in).

My wife's comment was that with an exterior color as intense as the red, the interior needed a strength of color to stand up. I trust her judgement on colors.

I also preferred the wood trim interior over the aluminum (*that* is probably a sign of age). So, that drew me away from the silver/gray towards the red exterior.

I have not yet seen the red and camel together. I had to make a decision if I didn't want to wait until April, and pieced it together from the other combinations that were there. Two years ago, we finished our basement as a home theater (8' screen with projector) and made the room Burgundy/red with golden accents. Burgundy velvet curtains, red carpet with gold diamonds, a camel/leather sponge painted walls. We love it, so I am confident I will love the car colors as well.

Head out there, take a look for yourself. Enough cars are on the lots to allow you to see the main colors in some form, if not the exact combination. Form your own opinions about what you like best.

Viva le difference....
    I don't see the TL as the model of a "mid-life crisis" car. 4-door sedans are not usually considered the target class for the man with the mid-life crisis.

Two-seaters, particularly convertibles are really what is associated with this syndrome. A red TT convertible -- there is your crisis car...

Geeze -- there is this guy in his 50's at work who got one of those last summer. Hmmmm....
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Your could easily forgive a guy for getting a Viper, Corvette, NSX or even a Harley. These modes of transport are just plain cool. But, when you see Mr. Midlife Crisis sporting around in a bright red Miata, makes you wanna...
  • 03oddity03oddity Member Posts: 60
    So far I have just compared colors using the javascript application on the Acura website. Time has not permitted a personal visit to the Acura showroom and purchase date is about 4-5 months from now. Perchance to dream....

My current Saab 9-5 is a lovely midnight blue with tan leather interior and wood trim. Only drawbacks are that the blue scratches easily and shows dirt almost as much as black. On the plus side--it is elegant as heck.

I've had white cars before--nice but sorta boring--yet would really look seriously at a white/ebony combo, except that it's not available, at least in the U.S. Black-on-black is such a cliche here in L.A. that I would not even consider it.

Agree with earlier posts that silver and anthracite are going to be ubiquitous. Nice if you don't mind seeing yourself coming and going. The red is pretty but the comment about 50-somethings hits a little too close for comfort. Desert mist: way too generic. Green: needs Oregon plates.

So--blue with camel it will be, I think. Too bad it doesn't come with the ebony interior, quartz being a lame substitute (same as my silver Odyssey minivan?) but then again, the warmth of wood is nicer than the aluminum IMHO. Decisions, decisions!!
    she was walking along where......
  • pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    Preferred mid-life crisis car - Honda S2000 or Subaru WRX SI

I should put in an order now for delivery in 2 years. Of course 50 is only the mid-life crisis age if you plan to live to 100.
    I think if one spent all of their time driving a Jetta or a camry, one would be more likely to snap and spontaneously buy a Viper or Z4 one day.....however a TL or something similar should help to avoid the whole issue......
    Preferred car for mid-life, old age, senility, or any other kind of crisis -- SL55 AMG, or BMW X5 4.6
    show dirts/scratches as easily as black? Any owner cares to comment. Mid-life crisis is bad enough, having to wash car often does not help.
    Nothing would show dirt/scratches as easily as black. But having said that, any dark colour will be higher maintenance, but I think the red will be better than the blue in that regard.
  • aciampiaciampi Member Posts: 66
    I agree with bobdle, the red would be easier to keep clean and hide the scratches better than the blue. I have the blue and love it, the only problem is that last week I tried passing 2 trucks salting highways and my pass side has some surface scratches.
    Also I wouldn't worry too much about the TL being a mid life crisis car. I think the dealer wanted me to buy something that he had coming in for stock. And by the way I wash my TL at least 2 times a week and sometimes as many as 4 because I can't stand it to be the least bit dirty.
  • msf2msf2 Member Posts: 88
    You sound like me. I go to the dealer tomorrow and Red with Parchment is the combo I want. I walk by a Red/Camel every day at work (very nice) but I prefer Parchment-so that's my choice. The dealer has a Red/Parch/NonNavi on the lot. I would have to order a Red/Navi and I'm fine with that-road salt here is murder-don't mind the wait at all. Interestingly the sales guy I spoke to wasn't pushing the Nav. He has two on the lot (Blue/Quartz, Black/Camel) that I'm not interested in. He spoke as though the Navi isn't worth it. I was very surprised. So now I'm hedging on the Navi. How did your deal go? I'm not sure what to expect here in New York. We have one Acura dealer in town and I'm not sure I want to investigate others 60 miles away. So the issue with me is Navi, or NOT!
    Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a lot complete with every color combination to be able to check out (and a dealer with so much stock they wanted to deal!) :)

This is the first time in my life I have actually ordered and waited for a car, so it was a luxury to be able to pick what I wanted and wait it out.

Regarding nav systems, I am a nav system bigot. I posted in my reasons in detail in article #710 over in the Prices paid forum.

kph "Acura TL: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" Jan 26, 2004 10:36pm

So, I didn't even consider looking at the non-nav version. However, like color choices, perceived value of such a system is purely personal. I figure that once I am spending over $30K on a vehicle, and since I tend to keep them for a long time (8-10 years) I am going to get what I will enjoy. It is no longer purely about value.

Plus, I am a techie geek by education and trade, so I like the high-tech toys.

I would definitely test drive one with and without navigation to see how you like the difference. I like the way the audio system is integrated into the touch screen. YMMV.

When I talked to the dealer in late December, they had no unclaimed AT/Navi's until February. As I wanted to clear most of the salt/snow season, I decided to opt to get on their March order cycle, so I could pick color. They eliminated destination change, and sold me accessories at a discount from sticker (as shown on the windows of the cars on the lot with those accessories). I guess I got about $700-800 off of a straight MSRP deal.
    ...and would have choosen it, if I didn't already have a Firepepper Red 2000 TL (which still looks gorgeous). My wife really enjoys driving that car.
  • msf2msf2 Member Posts: 88
    Ah yes, I remember your post! Well, I agree-it's all a matter of personal taste. I keep my cars forever, and I travel New England so- I'm leaning towards the Nav. I have a dealer 60 miles away who really wants my business-BUT, he's 60 miles away. I'll test the car, dicker the price, and maybe see what I can do elsewhere. I would prefer it all go down easy today....but don't we all.
    Hey, March is right around the corner-stop watching the clock!
    Looking fwd to picking up my Abyss Blue TL this coming tuesday. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on exterior care options? The dealer will prep and wax the vehicle so I am sure it will look great upon pick-up. Of course at this time of year, it will quickly turn a lovely hue of white and grey with all of the road salt currently out there. The dealer has a Paint Protection product that they sell which is by Sym-Tech. I believe that it is a Teflon product that creates another protection layer above the clear coat on the vehicle. They are charging $399 Cdn for it. Any opinions on whether or not this is worth it?? I plan on keeping the vehicle for a while and would like to keep it looking as good as possible. Sounds like there are other options out there including Zaino - but not sure that I can find the amount of free time that looks to be necessary for ritual(s). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • rasaiarasaia Member Posts: 6
    I just got rid of an '01 cl-s. One of the few things I didn't like about it was the funky black plastic wood grain. I thought it was really bad and fakey looking. I just bought a new tl and was not about to make the same mistake. Although they don't offer the black wood grain any more, the lighter color interiors have a more natural looking wood grain. Much better but still obviously artificial. For my money, I would go with the darker leathers, paired with the silver and black (non wood grain). I thing the high tech look is very nice and it is not pretending to be something that it is not. After 1000 miles I am really enjoying my new tl. I liked the cl a lot and this one even better.
  • torontotltorontotl Member Posts: 60
    I have the Abyss Blue with ebony and absolutely love the colour. It is definitely more work to keep looking clean compared to my 2000 TL which was gold. I just find that the blue makes the car look sporty where the gold makes the car look more luxury. I saw a red TL recently and thought that it was really nice too.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    There is surely some Acura/Honda "experts" out there that have several years worth of experience with HOW Acura "normally" does things.

This is the first time that I have seriously considered buying an Acura (04 TL).

My question is...

Does Acura have any history of changing the interior/exterior color combinations after the first year of a new model?

I really would like to get a 2004 white exterior with a black interior which is NOT available in US...my second choice is Anthracite exterior with black interior. I would like to buy this year, but am willing to wait for an 05 if there is much of a chance that Acura may offer some different color combos (specifically white exterior with black interior).

Does anyone know if this has much of a probability (I know anything is possible...but what about probable).

Thanks for any info...
  • torontotltorontotl Member Posts: 60
    I have found that in Canada, if anything Acura tends to delete certain combinations that they find aren't that popular. I'm not sure what they do in the US. They also change an exterior colour or two each year or two.
  • boneyardjellyboneyardjelly Member Posts: 11
    I also wanted the white with ebony interior. I looked at the white/quartz and didn't like it. I would have taken white with parchment but I think the black dash and black door handles look ugly when matched with parchment. I ended up with silver/ebony because I don't care for the two-toned interior. I got my silver/ebony, 5AT, non-Navi on Feb 10th and I love it.
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    Well, I'm no expert, but when I bought my '02 TL I'm pretty darn sure there was no White exterior/Black interior color combination. Same thing this year when I bought the new '04 model. I would assume that this would not likely be a popular enough color combination for them to produce. To me, people who would opt for white exterior would do it, at least partly, to reduce the interior heat in summertime. Having a black interior would sort of defeat this purpose.

So, IMO, until you hear otherwise, you should count on a back up plan for color combination.
    White with ebony is available as an option in Cda on the 6MT dynamic pkg only. Looks sharp - test drove that exact car about a week ago. I was also drawn by the white for a little while but would not want it with any other interior other than black. Since I needed to go with AT, this colour combo dropped off the list for me and I ended up with Abyss Blue/ebony.
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    I stand corrected! I'm sure glad I started my post with "Well, I'm no expert..." :)

Anyone seen this color combo on any US models (not just '04)?
  • richmarinorichmarino Member Posts: 7
    Hi all!!!

New TL owner as of the first of the year. In fact, I am new to Acura. My last car was a VW Jetta which I loved - but soon needed more room.

I feel instantly in-love with the TL. Mine is all decked out with the Nav-system, Grey Ext. and automatic. I really wanted the manual since I like to "call the shots", as the Acura website stated.

Anycase, I go the Automatic and love it... It makes my 40 min commute to work a joy...

I have had two issues - one with the Leather seats "puckering" in the front and the other with a rattle in the passenger dashboard side.... I'll post these elsewhere but I wanted to mention that I am overall very happy with the car.

It's FAST... In fact, sadly I have already claimed two speeding tickets as of January (6 weeks). The car goes so fast, and is so quite that I don't even know that I am blazing down the highway at 90+. This could be due to coming from a 4 cyl VW Jetta.

Anyway, I love my new car and look forward to bonding with the other TL owners on this site.

Rich Marino
    Philadelphia, PA
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    2 tickets already wow lol, but remember to drive safely.
  • richmarinorichmarino Member Posts: 7
    Yea, two tickets..... And I never had a ticket before..

Now, cruise control is my best friend! -still a little sad to have such a powerful car and not let a few ponies out from time to time.

Rich
    Philadelphia
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    not on the tickets lol.

The car is so quiet and the throtle is so soft sometime make me forgot, cruise control is a very good idea.
  • digidavedigidave Member Posts: 48
    ... a radar detector might help! Check out the write up (on detectors) on motor trend.

Dave
  • volvo03volvo03 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2002 acura 3.2 TL with 47K. The owners manual is missing. I am very happy with the car otherwise. How do I acquire a owners manual for the model year 2002.

Please help.
    You can purchase navigation DVD updates and owner's manuals from your own personalized Acura owner web site.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
  • jrogers345jrogers345 Member Posts: 8
    I have a question on ordering - my dealer still can't find the car I want by checking with dealers in the tri-state area. When I ask him about ordering it from the manufactuerer, his answer is vague.

Can I hear from people who have info on ordering from plant - how long it took, etc. Also any input on people who had to wait for their car to be located - how long, etc. What is the deal on dealers getting a shipment in. When they will know what is coming into lot, etc.

Also, any idea on when manufacturer stops making 2004's?

Thanks,
    Janice
    I don't know when the factory stops, but here is my experience with an order. The dealership I used (Buerkle Acura in Brooklyn Park, MN) placed an order for March production cars in mid-January. I signed the papers on a Saturday in mid-Jan (I think the 11th - may have been the 18th - don't have those papers with me) and they had just placed their order the previous day. They called in on Monday and changed one car on that order to be the exact color combination I wanted. That car is scheduled for production a week from today, and I have been told 8-10 days from production day to my being able to pick it up.

My *perception* was that there were some form of quotas on what they could place as an order. I don't think they could shift too many to Navi's, or too many to a single color combination. The reason for this perception was that when I ordered a Red/Camel Navi, and the salesman talked to the manager who sets the orders, I was told that another person had ordered that same combination that morning, and would I have problems if I ended up slipping into early April for delivery.

At that point in January, they knew the complete list of what they were getting in February, and of course, what was sold/ordered versus what was available to lock in.

My other option was horsetrading with other dealers, which I didn't ask them to pursue.
This discussion has been closed.