Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Hello all,

My wife and I have started talking about getting a TL. We are getting tired of the poor reliability of the so-called "American" cars and have heard great things about Acura reliability.

However, after reading some of the messages on this thread I am not so sure! I am very concerned about the transmission problems you guys have been discussing. Sounds like this has been an ongoing problem with honda ATs? If so, does anyone know if they are coming out with a new tranny anytime soon?

Thanks!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    IMO, Honda/Acura are not as bullet-proof as they once were, but still far ahead of anything domestic, or from Europe.
  • sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    Is it me, or does Acura Problems & Solutions have the most threads compared to BMW Problems & Solutions and Lexus threads?

JD Powers award 2004

http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=860&CatI- D=1

I really don't want to buy a Lexus, they're so boring. Why can't Acura get it right?

See the new RL? Looks just like a BMW. First the tail, now the front.
    I have a Nissan Maxima 1992 that rattles/rumbles the car like an earthquake whenever I am at speeds 45-55

Initially, I thought it was the transmission. But after the mechanic rotated my tires, the problem went away, but only for a few months. Then things started to rattle again. So I decided to buy new, expensive sporty tires. Problem solved? Not quite. Things were ok for a few months, then the rumbles returned. Is it the weight distribution of the car that causes uneven wear in the tires or perhaps the way the tires are unevenly spun by the transmission?

What's my point? If Acura fixed their rattling/vibrations issue with "new tires", what happens when it is time for you to buy new tires? Do you have to buy your tires only from Acura to prevent the vibrations? Will Acura/tire Manufacturer still make these special tires down the road?
  • latexlatex Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a Motorola V525 and having a problem pairing. Can anyone help?
  • boylan82boylan82 Member Posts: 7
    another question...do you need to "re-link" the phone every time you turn off the car? i just paired the motorola 710, and left the car. when i used the car next, the phone was not "linked" to the car, and just rang as if it was never paired. I then had to go through the phone connections menu to relink it. is there any easy way to do this?
  • mike62mike62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a White Diamond Pearl 2004 TL. We purchased the car in May 2004 and already there is a noticeable difference in the color of the doors, hood etc, and the plastic front and rear bumpers. I thought I had seen some discussions about this when I was researching the car. Have others noticed this and have you been able to get anything done about it.
  • bmwx330bmwx330 Member Posts: 10
    I'm kind of shocked by comments on this board (Relax, I'm not here to pick a fight. I'm from a family of Honda owners).

The new TL are great looking cars. I was curious to see what current owners are saying but after scrolling through the last 20-30 postings, I'm not exactly impressed.
  • jweissjweiss Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a sense for how many cars/buyers are affected by the shake/shimmy/vibration problem that occurs at mid/high speeds and is frequently brought up on this forum? Is this afflicting only some cars or is it more rampant and actually a definite design issue? I would bet someone afflicted with the problem may have a sense for how rampant it is. Also, is the vibration significant and VERY noticable? I just got out of a '97 Mustang GT convertible which I really liked, but it did definitely suffer from vibration, especially on rougher roads, due to a host of reasons, including the fact that there was no roof! Quite annoying - definitely the most major flaw in the car.

This is a fairly disturbing flaw, IMO, with one poster claiming that he was told by service that it's a drivetrain issue. Has Acura adressed this? Again, anyone know the frequency of occurance?

Thanks!
    Jack
  • nefltlnefltl Member Posts: 3
    Seems the problem is wider-spread than my local dealer or Acura Customer Service want's to admit. I just had all 4 old PVC tires replaced with 4 new TU2 tires, but the vibration is worse now than before. I've opened a case with ACS. I'm hoping a resolution won't be difficult. I also read my lemon-law handbood, especially the part that says "substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle". I would think if vehicle "A" had a vibration and vehicle "B" didn't that vehicle "B" would have more value. That and if I can't get resolution, every squeak and rattle will go back to the dealer for resolution while I get their loaner car.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Is this a constant problem? at certain speeds? Is it intermittent? on certain roads/paved surfaces?
  • gordsgords Member Posts: 13
    Bodble2...

Hello fellow Canadian. I think we may have crossed paths earlier in the Major Fourm on the TL. I still have not gotten rid of the 02 Odyssey EX-L, but am a little concerned about this vibration problem. Have you experienced this yourself, and are you happy enough with your TL experience to recommend the car. We had Fords (6 of 'em) before switching to Honda. I love the fit and finish in what is essentially a MOM mobile, and was hoping that Acura as the premium badge bearer would offer us the almost perfect car (van) experience our Honda Odyssey has. Any remarks would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance ..... GordS
    With the origional PVC-coded tires, my problem was flatspotting only. After they ran a few miles they seemed fine and I didn't notice any vibrations at any other speed. They were rebalanced once which resulted in the origional flatspotting and vibrations at speed (40mph-60mph). With the new TU2-coded tires I can't tell how much of the vibration is flatspotting and how much is something else, but they vibrate from ~30mph - 70mph with more vibration at some speeds than others. So both times I took it in it has came back driving worse than before.
    Hi gords. I have not personally experienced this vibration/shimmy problem than others have reported. I've got about 3500KM on my TL so far. Overall I'm very happy with the TL. It's a car that I can envision driving for 5+ years. I don't say that too often about any car I've owned. The last one that I felt that way about was an '89 Accord coupe which I ended up keeping for 8 years. The only significant flaw that taints the TL, IMO, is the intermittent squeaks, creaks, and rattles. Sometimes when the conditions are just right, and the stars are aligned in the universe, the car is rattle-free, and that is a teaser as to how great and pleasurable the TL can be if everything was bolted tight. Oh well, I guess nothing is perfect.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    Well, if you look only in the "Problems & Solutions" thread what else do you think you're going to find ;) You go to any thread that has as many readers and posters as the Acura TL (there aren't many) you will find a Problems and Solutions thread with as many posts if not more. You see, why every message is mostly about a problem is because that is the only reason people post here. So take everything here with a grain of salt, no matter what make you have there will always be a few cars that have problems.
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    I noticed tonight my trip computer said 9 miles until empty. I stopped for gas and "crammed" the tank full with 14.5 gallons. Since the tank is 17 gallons, can you recallibrate the trip computer accordingly?
    No, this is done on purpose. The miles to empty is misleading because it isn't the number of miles until when the tank is truly empty but the number of miles that Acura thinks that you should refuel your tank. It's like having a 3 gallon reserve I guess. A lot of us wish they would really give the true miles to empty but there is nothing we can do about it.
    Why not file a complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding your TL's vibration issue?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

As mentioned earlier, these new tires are a "quick fix" What happens when the tires wear off and you need new tires. Can you find tires made specifically for the TL to rid the vibrations?
    I will, but want to give ACS a shot at resolving the issue first.
  • gordsgords Member Posts: 13
    Bodble2,

Many thanks for your insight and advice on your TL ownership. I am looking forward to hopefully picking up the keys to one very soon.

Safe motoring...

GordS
  • gled0501gled0501 Member Posts: 12
    Tomorrow I will be picking up my new manual TL. I must say after all I have heard on this site I am a little nervous to plunk down $33K on this car. Because there seemed to be so many complaints with the OEM tires on this site and on the TireRack site I decided to have them upgraded to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, we get a fair amount of snow and I want to be on the safe side. The dealer is charging me $310 to do so. I really hope like everyone does that none of these problems will exist for me. I will be checking in to keep everyone posted on any problems I have, and hopefully the fact that I have none!!
  • tampajay1tampajay1 Member Posts: 4
    Has Acura improved or fixed the vibration problems on the new 2004 TL? Is there anyone who has a fairly new build who can say if things are better now? Was it just from the EL42 tires or other causes?
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I just bought a 2004 TL 6 speed manual. No vibrations or squeaks yet, but a slight pull to the left at speed that the dealer replaced two tires to fix (I'll see if the fix has worked tomorrow. Evidently there's a service advisory to address this.)

While mine was in the shop I drove a loaner with around 5K miles and auto trans. Much rougher feeling than my car. It vibrated below about 1900 rpm in top gear -- I put it down to the V6/tranny combination harmonics. It also rattled a little around the transmission tunnel. Opening the two fake carbon fiber storage covers below the radio seemed to help. The ride handling compromise is better in the manual car -- still absorbent but less floaty.

The stereo is good, but perhaps not as strong as my VW GTI's (talk about reliability -- trans replaced, ignition coils, abraded wiring underhood, window winder mechanisms, under-bumper panel fell off, etc., etc.) Monsoon when playing mono recordings.
  • ricks04ricks04 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying TL with AT. My only concern is the AT recalls on the TL's for 2002, 2003 and 2004. Either Honda cannot solve the cause of the problem, or they figure it is cheaper to recall. Either way, how much of a problem is it? Is it worth living with it?
  • jkgjkg Member Posts: 8
    No need to be nervous. The 6 speed manual TL is solid, fast and fun. Had mine almost 6 months with no problems and one interior squeek (fixed). I traded out factory high performance tires for similar, longer lasting HP Bridgestones.
    Pilot Sport tires are very good, also. Enjoy the car, knowing you made a wise decision over the auto. transmission, or competitor rwdrive cars. We will not be stranded or scared of driving in snow, as is typical of high powered rwdrive cars.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I've owned a 04 tl for about a year and had nothing but problems...it's on the same level of a GM car at double the price!
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    are you an acura salesman? I expect a problem here and there, but i've been back to the dealer 7 times in less than one year!
    no
    My 2004 TL (6 speed manual) pulls to the left and the steering loads up much more in a turn to the right than in a turn to the left (it almost falls into a turn to the left and feels as though it's fighting gravity in a turn to the right). The dealer has replaced both front tires, which has improved the situation a little, but has not fixed the problem. The alignment, front and back, has been verified to be within factory tolerances. Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Picked up my 6sp manual TL on Saturday. So far no rattles or squeeks. It runs beautifully. But I have to ask if anyone has had difficulty adjusting to the headlights. I see a "cliff" between the 2 headlamps and they seem to throw a broad beam instead of one that is higher and further like I am used to. I called the dealer and they said this is normal and that it would take a couple of weeks to get used to. I felt like I wanted to drive with the high beams on the whole time. How have you all adapted to this??? Also, does anyone else find it hard to find the OFF switch amongst all the other settings for the windshield wipers? Any input welcome. Thanks
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I also have the 'cliff' between the lights. There are screws just above the lights for adjustment I believe.

As for the wiper off position, I have no trouble. I just lift the arm to it's highest position. If i inadvertantly go too far and activate the mist (one time) position, oh well. Just let go and it's off. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
  • djlandkpldjlandkpl Member Posts: 11
    Try turning off the fog lights. I'm still waiting for my TL to be delivered but the salesman indicated using the fog lights would create a dead spot in the headlight pattern.
    I think the "cliff" between the 2 headlights are intended. The left one is lower so you wouldn't blind oncoming traffic.
  • rorororo Member Posts: 8
    Received my first ding on the front bumper on my 04 TL today. Nothing major, it's less than a size of a quarter but bothersome nonetheless. Anyone know a cheap way to remove this? I tried to use my one free service "ding card" at the dealership but they said that it is applicable only to dings on the body. Since the bumper is made of plastic they couldn't use the same tools to remove it. Their collision center quoted me $450!!! Any other ideas?

TIA,
    Ro
    2004 TL - Silver/Ebony AT - 3500 miles
    Yes, mine have a sharp cut off, more like a European set up, with the left set lower than the right as I'd expect. What's different from a typical Euro set up is that the low beam projection has greater distance -- when I drive on visits to the UK I really need to use the high beams as soon as I'm out of range of other vehicles on 2 lane roads. In fact the UK drivers manual used to stress (still does?) that the high beams are the primary or main beams, but you are expected to stay on top of the hi/low beam settings at all times. Similarly, using fog lights when visibility is good is not tolerated. I can understand why the Xenons can be blinding given the long throw of the low beams over here in the US.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Shouldn't have bought a pearl white TL!!

You should have been able to notice the color difference between the paint on the metal and paint on bumpers, trim, and door handles when new. The paint is usually more towards a beige on the trim, bumpers, and door handles.

Toyota/Lexus cars have the same problem when you get pearlized colors, the bumpers, trim, door handles look a slightly different shade. Paint adhere's differently to plastics/resins and therefore the paint is always slightly different shades between bumpers and body. You can also notice the different on Silver cars(I know I do on my Satin Silver metallic Accord).

I would never buy a pearl white car these days, because cars from just about every manufacturer have the problem you have now noticed.
    ok nkeen, thanks. I thought my eyesight must really suck at 40 but I kept feeling like I wanted to drive with the high beams on the whole time but thats too much of a pain. I guess my car is totally normal and I just have to get used to it. Im surprised it doesnt feel like an improvement over my old car, but I never thought of the fact that they need to be adjusted so as not to blind other cars.
  • njmtgbankernjmtgbanker Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my TL last Saturday (9/4) and I am scheduled to bring it on on Tuesday (9/14) because the car drifts left. The service guy seemed to be familiar with problem. I'll let you know how I do.
    Just picked up mine on Saturday too. Congratulations. I also noticed that my right headlight seems to light further than left. I am bring in car next week for alignment (drifting left) and when I mentioned headlight adjustment I was told there are none.
    good call! makes total sense.
    That's the way they're supposed to be. The left light is aimed lower than the right as to not blind oncoming drivers while your right beam highlights the shoulder a little bit more. DO NOT MESS WITH IT! Especially with the left beam, if you aim the xenon headlight any higher you will have every oncoming driver flashing their brights at you.
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Ask around various service departments to see if they can refer you to an independent painter. My Dark Green 2002 TL had a silver dollar size piece of paint missing from where I hit some hard snow two winters ago (I live in Wash. DC). A body shop gave me a quote of $330 to repaint the bumper.

I have a friend who has an Escalade and at that dealer they have a guy who is independent but he repaints bumpers for the dealer. My friend took his Wife's plum Lexus GS 300 there and the guy did a fantastic job painting her bumper. I talked to him, met him at the Cadillac dealer at 8:30 am, he sanded and repainted my entire bumper for $140. He was finished before 10 am, and I am very satisfied with his work.

He has his own truck and he goes to various dealers and does their bumper work. If you can find one in Dallas(GO SKINS!!! :-)), you should come out cheaper.
  • rorororo Member Posts: 8
    Thanks eddiemac. I'm gonna try this collision center on the way to work and see what they charge. (GO 'BOYS! Finally .. it's about time football started! ;))
  • gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    I've got a plastic squeak coming from the horn pad area. I'd like to remove the pad to get to the squeak. It comes and goes with temperature. Anyone know how to detach the horn pad?
  • acura4meacura4me Member Posts: 4
    My question probably has a pretty obvious solution but I can't find it in the Owners Manual. Just bought this car, and like my Camry the headlights turn off automatically after you close the door upon exiting. With the Camry we just leave the headlights onall the time -- much safer. But on the Acura TL the beep alarm that comes on if you leave on the headlights after turning off the car but have the door open is driving me crazy. Why have a beep alarm if you have autoshutoff with 0, 15 sec, etc increments. It just doesn't make sense - I don't need to be reminded to turn off the headlights if I have already set them to go off automatically. ARRRGH!

Does anyone have a solution before I try to trade this car in on a used Camry :)

Thanks in advance
  • acura4meacura4me Member Posts: 4
    Hello all. Just bought an Acura TL in Phoenix, AZ. It is 104 today, down from 106 yesterday. My little daughter, who loves to clamber out the front of the car once I unclip her from the carseat always manages to turn on my heated seat. Which of course I don't notice until my back is soaked with sweat but my chest has frostbite from the maxed (and very effective) AC. Does anyone know of a way just to turn off the heats forever? They're about as the useful as the mirror deicers under this desert sun.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really enjoy this forum. Wish I knew more, and I'd have advice to offer myself.
  • toothdudetoothdude Member Posts: 14
    I have an '04 TL and have been back to the dealer over 3 times to have the tint redone on different windows due to the problem of the seals.

I know some have suggested the moleskin kit to take care of the problem.

I suggested this to the dealer and they said it wouldn't void the warranty as long as it's done at their contracted tinting shop.

The catch is they want me to pay $104 to have it done.

Why?????????...they installed the tint so they have to deal with it. Not to mention I haven't paid for any of the re-tinting and don't intend to.

Suggestions on how to handle this? As far as I'm concerned If the car couldn't be tinted, they shouldn't be doing it.
  • mplsguymplsguy Member Posts: 3
    I want to get the windows tinted on my TL. There are two dealerships highly recommended in my area for quality work (both have a lifetime warrenty on the film and workmanship).

One is telling me I don't need moleskin, and the metallic films on the rear window won't mess up my nav.

The other is telling me that they need to install the window felts and I can't put a metallic film in the rear window.

Based on what I have heard, it sounds like the second guy might be more experienced with the TL with regards to the felts, but does anyone with a nav have trouble with the films that have metal in them?
  • jgeaneotesjgeaneotes Member Posts: 5
    Any update on the drift issue?
  • jgeaneotesjgeaneotes Member Posts: 5
    Can you tell me if you got the pull to the left fixed? If so what did the dealer do?