Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Are there two power outlets in your TL as the manual describes or just one where a cigarette lighter/ashtray would be? I only have one and it doesn't work.
  • Options
    nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Mine has been back twice for this. The first time they replaced the rear tires, which improved but did not fix the problem. Second time around they replaced the front tires so I now have four new Bridgestones. The car no longer wants to turn to the left, but I think that steering effort when turning right is a still a little higher than when turning left. Alignment is to factory spec.

Overall it's a great car to drive. With the manual the revs can be held in the sweet spot above 2,000 for cruising -- the auto loaner I drove tended to drop the engine below this speed in Drive for low speed cruising which gave a feeling of roughness, but doubtless was more economical in that mode. The manual is, I think, a much nicer car. This is an engine that likes to rev and works well with the 6-speed. Sounds great too when worked -- a definite class act. But it's not a V8 rumbler that's happy slogging away at low RPMs. I'm getting smoother with the gears; the clutch was a bit unpredictable at first from a standstill -- I didn't transition from my GTi naturally as I did to a Subaru Legacy GT for instance.
  • Options
    bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    Do you have a LGT and a TL? I am shopping both. At the legacygt forum there is a fellow who had a TL and now a LGT, that's not you is it :-)
  • Options
    jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    I have two: one where you describe, and one in the bottom section of the arm rest storage compartment.

Mine only work when the ignition is in the run or accessory position.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks,

I do not have the one in the central storage console. I'll try the power outlet when the car is on or accessory position.

Thanks.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Has anyone noticed that the new-style remote for the TL is more prone to wear and tear compared to the old black one? I've only had my TL for about 4 months and the remote has already got all kinds of scratches and small chips, especially around the edges and the key ring opening. At this rate, I don't think it's going to last the life of the car.
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    My friend showed me new TL's key and key fob a while back. They look kinda cheap. Accord's more sturdy actually I think.
  • Options
    I definitely noticed this premature wear on the key fob as well.
  • Options
    No, I tested a Legacy GT before buying the TL about a month ago.

Although the drift is fixed, there is resistance to turning right but the car almost falls into a turn to the left. I'm guessing power steering. Anyone any ideas?
  • Options
    q75q75 Member Posts: 2
    I am reading all these problems about the tl and am kind of reluctant to purchase one. Has the replacement of the OEM tire entirely fix the problem or is the tl's vibration problem stemming from something else. I would like to hear you input. Thanks.
  • Options
    q75q75 Member Posts: 2
    I am reading all these problems about the tl and am kind of reluctant to purchase one. Has the replacement of the OEM tire entirely fix the problem or is the tl's vibration problem stemming from something else. I would like to hear your input. Thanks.
  • Options
    gled0501gled0501 Member Posts: 12
    When i bought my TL over labor day weekend I decided to have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S put on before I drove it away. I had heard so much myself about the tires I decided to pay the money up front ($310) and avoid the issue. So far I have NO vibration whatsoever, whether that is because I swapped the tires or not, I don't know but am glad not to have the problem. Actually I have nothing wrong with the car. I do however, hate that the mirrors tilt downward when you are in reverse. I have difficulty seeing out the back as it is, but now I look at the ground instead of further behind me. I would like to have this disabled, has anyone looked into doing this?? I found this feature to be totally unnecessary.
  • Options
    ferrisferris Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently the proud owner of a 1997 CL 3.0. I say "proud" as I truly believe in the performance and reliability of Honda/Acura, especially with all of the negative comments that they get due to their automatic transmission issues. My CL has 143,000 miles on it and I'm now at the point that I'm looking into a TL w/ navi. My issue is whether to get the 6 sp manual or stick to the automatic. The plus with the stick is that my wife can't drive it. She has a 2003 Honda Pilot that seems to acquire a new scratch everytime she goes somewhere. My CL does have its issues w/ the auto trans, i.e. the jerking back and forth, seemingly getting "confused" with which gear to be in. I've managed to figure out the best way to drive the car depending on the type of traffic I'm in, but I'd like to not have to drive an automatic like a stick if I don't have to. I'm also curious to see if Acura will bring out an all wheel version of the TL such as they're putting on the redesigned RL.

Any comments or suggestions?
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    >>I do however, hate that the mirrors tilt downward when you are in reverse. I have difficulty seeing out the back as it is, but now I look at the ground instead of further behind me. I would like to have this disabled, has anyone looked into doing this?? I found this feature to be totally unnecessary.>>

Put the mirror adjustment select switch in the middle (between left and right) and neither will tilt.\

Actually, I do find it usefull when parallel parking and backing into a parking space (looking to make sure I'm between the lines). The rest of the time I leave it off.
  • Options
    mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    This is where reading the manual can be important. Just simply set the mirror selector switch to the middle and neither will tilt downward. It's all in the manual, crack her open and take a look see, who knows what else you are missing.
  • Options
    I actually find the feature very useful. First and foremost for parallel parking. And even if everyday reverse situations, such as backing out of the garage and use it to avoid running over the neighbor's garbage can on the other side of the lane, or checking for small kids when backing out of a parking spot at the mall, etc. Personally I would prefer if BOTH mirrors tilt down at the same time.
  • Options
    calwhizcalwhiz Member Posts: 29
    I searched on this forum and it seems many owners have had problems with inaccuracy of the "Miles to Empty Gauge" on their 04 TL. Mine is utterly inaccurate. After fill-up, it would say it has more than 389 miles to go before empty. But it never reaches that kind of mileage. And the other day, I was monitoring the gauge while driving a 2-mile freeway stretch. I was surprised to find that the # of miles until empty had actually decreased by NINE miles at the end of the 2-mile stretch.

It bugs me. Has anyone else have had their problematic miles to empty gauge fixed by the dealer? Is it something the dealer can calibrate?
  • Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    It's not broken. It is constantly recalculating the miles to empty using average data since the last fill-up. SO, you will see big jumps when the tank is full and smaller jumps as it empties. I once filled up and immediately got on a freeway. The miles to empty was 999! It of course came back down when I got off the freeway.

The initial number is always suspect. I'm not sure how it derives that, but I'm guessing it's based on past driving experience.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    yes, put the mirror selector switch to the middle, instead of left or right...and it will not tilt down...

this is an expensive feature that is safe and protects your wheels. It was first found on expensive 525i and 745i BMWs...

My suggestion is : ..You should be looking over your right shoulder when backing up ....ALWAYS !!

that is a rule that our lawyer friends pounds into us...they have cases where someone who was backing out did not look over their shoulder (turn around facing back) , and ran over people at the parking lots, and got sued for it....

just my 2 cents... :)
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    yes,....I have the same misuderstandings with my cayenne....it reads the same number....because it takes averages...so it does not tell you the present up to the minute MPG....

I think they should have a continuous readout, once every 1 min or so, like the Toyota Prius...
  • Options
    jgeaneotesjgeaneotes Member Posts: 5
    I have the TL and it pulls to the right. Also below the rear window rust is building up betweent the weather strip and the window itself. Anyone else have this problem
  • Options
    k_chuik_chui Member Posts: 20
    I don't think it uses the "average" data for the calculation (miles to empty), I think it uses the current consumption rate, for example, if you are driving on a highway at a constant speed, your miles-to-empty will increase from the reading before you get onto the highway, because at a constant highway speed, you can go further because of better MPG. I tested this out a few weeks back.
  • Options
    armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I'm thinking of putting ContiWinterContact TS790's on my 2004 TL (automatic). Does anyone have any experience with these tires? Or does anyone have a snow tire they recommend?
  • Options
    greathannygreathanny Member Posts: 17
    I went to an Acura dealer tonight to test drive the TL and pressed the salesman on the transmission recall for the '04 TL. He said that the recall simply involved replacing a computer chip that adjusted the gear shifting. This board suggests that there is a problem with the second gear and lubrication. Is the salesman full of bologny? Does the recall involve more than just replacing a computer chip?
  • Options
    cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    Here is the recall summary from NHTSA's website:

Make: ACURA
    Model: 3.2TL
    Year: 2004
    Recall Number: 04V176000
    Summary:
    ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.
    Consequence:
    GEAR FAILURE COULD RESULT IN TRANSMISSION LOCKUP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 21, 2004, FOR PILOT, ODYSSEY, AND MDX OWNERS. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004, FOR OWNERS OF THE TL AND CL VEHICLES. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
    Notes:
    HONDA RECALL NOS. P30 (ODYSSEY AND PILOT), P31 (MDX), P38 (ACCORD) AND P39 (ACURA). CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • Options
    danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    That info is not adequate, I checked with my dealer and no recall for my TL.

Only a number of cars from earlier build are affected. NOT ALL and certainly not the NEW one If I'm not mistaken if your car was build before JAN 2004, not sure about the month tho.
  • Options
    Adequate or not, it is the only recall for 2004 Acura TL's thusfar. The potential number of units affected by this recall was 1,099,796. All early production TL's were affected (VIN's up to and including 19UUA66**4A014224).
  • Options
    calwhizcalwhiz Member Posts: 29
    ". . . if you are driving on a highway at a constant speed, your miles-to-empty will increase from the reading before you get onto the highway, because at a constant highway speed, you can go further because of better MPG."

Well, as my original post states, my car exhibits the opposite behavior when I took it out on the freeway. I was driving on the freeway for about 2 miles, during which time the guage's estimate to empty dropped by a whopping 9 miles. So, no, it did not increase but decreased.

In fact, I had witnessed it increased during city driving too, although most of the time, from fill-up to empty, it usually drops very rapidly regardless where I am driving. It just seems my gauge displays a rather random behavior. If everyone else has the same problem with their gauge, then I would be convinced that it's not broken--it's just badly-designed. But according to your post, mine seems broken all right.
  • Options
    jjtuanjjtuan Member Posts: 6
    Had my TL for about a month now and wanted to see if others are having this sound/problem and if it's normal. After shifting into drive, I hear a thump shortly after I start moving. If I'm starting off on level road it'll thump--almost like when the compressor for a/c comes on, but somewhat more noticeable. It seems somehow connected to the anti-lock brakes. When I start down my driveway and put on the brakes it seems like the anti-lock system activates. Very annoying, but it only happens once shortly after take off. I have tried to duplicate when the car is warm, but it only seems to happen when the car is cold. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I HAD SAME PROBLEM TOO. I WAS WONDERING DID YOU DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT .PLEASE GIVE ME A FEEDBACK
    APPRECIATED.
  • Options
    djlandkpldjlandkpl Member Posts: 11
    The thump is normal. The ABS system has to do a self test and pressurize the brake system. It doesn't occur when the car is warm as the brake system is still pressurized.
  • Options
    brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    I had a set of Conti Extreme Contact all seasons on my previous A4 and enjoyed them very much. They were a very good snow tire as well. With the front drive of the TL, it may be all you need??
  • Options
    Does anyone else seem to notice the ABS engaging rather harshly when applying brake pressure and driving over an uneven surface? I'll occasionally sense this even with very light braking and relatively small bumps. Not sure if it is something to be concerned about?
  • Options
    Ha! I wish we had that problem up here....perhaps you can look at the heated seats as a time saver. On the way to your morning round of golf turn on heated seat and arrive all limbered up and ready for the first tee - no stretching or warm up required! I'll confess that my seat heater has been in use already so far this fall.....
  • Options
    thomasconstantthomasconstant Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2003 3.2tls on long island. It has 33000 miles. This past saturday I experienced a very frightening transmission lock-up event at approx 30mph which threw us against the belts and then released . It was accompanied by a loud bang. All except me thought we had hit something. I called Acura in customer service and they belittled the problem and almost accused me of making it up! Stay away from these cars!! They are in denial about this safety problem at present.
  • Options
    tomhanxtomhanx Member Posts: 6
    Hello folks,

I bought my TL (auto w/nav) couple of weeks back and have put 750 miles. Since yesterday, I've been getting a slight engine noise intermittently.

It wasn't there before and is noticable when i start the car and will last for quite some time. It's not loud but still audible, like a low hum. It doesn't happen all the time.

Is it normal to have it just after the break-in period. If so, how long does it last??

THanx
  • Options
    jjtuanjjtuan Member Posts: 6
    The thump is normal. The ABS system has to do a self test and pressurize the brake system. It doesn't occur when the car is warm as the brake system is still pressurized.
     thankss much djlandkpl .you're my life saver
  • Options
    boylan82boylan82 Member Posts: 7
    I have had my TL for 2 monsth and notice the same thing...the ABS comes on when lightly braking over bumps. i cant imagine that its supposed to work like that. any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    nomoacurasnomoacuras Member Posts: 3
    I also received the transmission recall notice for my 04 TL. Took car in & had work done. 1 week later @ 41,000 miles transmission went out completely. Dealer replaced, but replaced transmission I later learned is a "rebuilt" one, which means it is someone else's problem done over. The replacement also shifts very "iffy". I have had it with Acura over this problem. Acura has had this serious transmission problem for 4 straight model years. I am considering trading for a 2005 BMW 325. Am I asking for more problems? Anybody had experience going from Acura to BMW?
  • Options
    Not directly Acura to BMW, but I recently traded in my Honda V6 to a BMW after the dealer told me it needed a new tranny (out of warranty and was not paying for a new tranny). This tranny has had known problems across the Honda/Acura line for years and the manufacturer is doing little about it. They did not recall the early model Odyssey ('99 I think) but extended the warranty to 100K. My model year Honda tranny had no recall or extended warranty period and now the new Acura's had a limited recall and buyers continue to have issues.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Like cartalk, not exactly Acura to BMW, but my last 4 cars (all manual trannies) were 2 Accords, a Nissan, and now a 330Ci. All three Japanese cars went well over 150K miles with no major drive-train issues. Both Accords were running like clocks but suffered body integrity problems after a while and the brakes were problematic. The Nissan's engine was getting weak and the tranny was making some noise, but it kept on running. Around 100K miles, it started developing lots of small, bothersome problems. The BMW now has about 70K miles on it. It required several trips to the dealership early on to fix non-major issues (blown subwoofer from the factory, rear deck rattle, and one headlight ignitor went south). Other than that, at about 49K miles, I needed control-arm bushings replaced. My car was a first model year 330, so some or all of these issues ~may~ be teething problems.

I have no regrets so far about making the switch. Just make sure your skin is thick enough for the smug comments... they will come.

FWIW, if Acura offers sh-awd with a manual tranny, the TL will be on my short list when I begin shopping again.

FWIW part II - we had tranny problems with my wife's Odyssey (covered under extended warranty) but in spite of that, I'm really glad she talked me into it... excellent vehicle otherwise!
  • Options
    danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Its very easy to bash other car, create a new login-name and start bashing. (especially when the car is hot :))

Its true that Acura had a problem(tranny), but who doesnt. Can you mention one brand that has no problem at all?.

I've been driving Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras for more than 20 years with very little problem. I dont have to prove anything cuz its all written in any survey magazine, and its resale values is also always one of the best.

A car that has many problems but still is one of the best when it comes to reliability rating and resale value? do you think those experts are fools or its just a tall puppy syndrome? lol.

FYI the demand for Acura TL always high(almost 7k every month, outsold lexus/BMW), And Acura even raise its MSRP.

A car that has so many problems (that you have to stay away) but outsell its competitor and still able to maintain its resale value and reliability ratings(even raise its MSRP)? what kind of logic is that? lol.

I dont care about those pop-up member have to say, they suddenly start posting and having problems (Acura TL'04 with 41,000 miles? in less than a year? btw nomoacuras, you need to change your data, it says you have TSX not TL) give me a break. :)

Again no Recall on my TL 04 lol
  • Options
    nomoacurasnomoacuras Member Posts: 3
    Danny, I know what series of Acura I drive, & it's a TL. It's interesting the other responses were helpful, but yours was emotional and irritating. You sound like a guy with anger issues.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Let's remember that this topic is about the vehicle, and not about personal assessments of other members.
  • Options
    brew & boylan, same thing with mine. The ABS will engage when I brake over small bumps. Not a big deal but slightly annoying.
  • Options
    grumblesdclowngrumblesdclown Member Posts: 20
    Holy Hondas, Batman, 41k on an '04? Really?

My '00 has 68k & runs fine. Acura picked it up, loaned me an '04 TL, did the recall work, washed it, and returned it to me. The tranny warranty was increased to 100k. All for no charge. I agree that the tranny issue never should've happened. However, I can't argue with the way it's being handled.

I don't know if my experience is the norm. I talk to real-world people and think, "yes." I read the posts and think, "no - Acura sucks."

If you're concerned about Acura quality & service, do your research before getting a BMW. They're great, but they (and their dealers) can be temperamental. If you're sure you want one, I'd recommend getting a new or certified one.
  • Options
    Just curious..I have heard the same "thump" how do you know its normal? Did you speak to the dealer about it?
    Thanks
  • Options
    To me it's not really a "thump". It's more like a crunchy noise, like you've ran over some debris on the road.
  • Options
    Has anyone had this problem. I have found rust buildingup in the weather stripping at the lower rear window. When I contacted the dealer they indicated that they have seen this before and the only fix is to clean it out. The dealer did not indicate knowledge of a fix. This concerns me.
  • Options
    robbrrobbr Member Posts: 1
    i bought my tl in july, i have 3900mi on it and it is a rattling, vibrating piece of junk. i'm on my forth set of tires,(curently bridgestone ls-z), they have replace my motor mounts, re-tourqed my suspension and re-tourqed my sub-frame. i'm in the middle of dealing with acura and there normal stall tactic, if i don't have a buy back deal on the table this week i'm going to lemon law. i've been dealing with acura corp since early august and its been very frustrating. this problem is not the tires and is apperantly a drieline issue, acura aware and knows its a common problem. i would never buy an acura again. try acura-tl.com for more info.
  • Options
    I'd like to hear any feedback on these, especially how they compare with the Michelin Pilot A/S that seem to be very highly thought of. I liked the Contis that came with my VW GTi -- great in rain and good in snow. The Bridgestone all seasons that came on the TL grip well in the dry but are otherwise unimpressive.