Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• frankdfrankd Member Posts: 2
    I've had my TL for about three months. Several times over the three months, the sound on the radio goes off without warning and the radio freezes - I can't change stations, or even turn it off until I stop the car and take the keys out of the ignition. This has happened on both XM and the regular radio. I'm going to ask my dealer, but has anyone else had this problem?
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I agree with everything you said. I've had mine for about a year and had nothing but unresolved problems with the car.

Acura has not been sympathetic …they just tell it’s normal for the car to rattle.

Acura quality is about the same as GM or Ford at twice the price.
  • dmauchdmauch Member Posts: 1
    I share your sentiment about the brochure. I e-mailed Acura yesterday to inform them that although I thought their new 05 TL website was great, the interactive interior video for the surround sound/dvd audio system incorrectly spelled "surround" as "surrond." When "Dimitri" of their "Acura Web Team" contacted me, he had to ask "Where on the site did you find the mispelling?" I finally e-mailed them a screen shot of the specific page on their site. If they can't find a problem that someone else pointed out to them on their own website, I can't imagine what happens when an Acura owner tells them of a problem.

The website was corrected as of this morning. (http://www.acura.com/models/model_gallery_showroom.asp?module=tl- )

?
  • dj25dj25 Member Posts: 1
    On one of my TL Federal price sticker I found that my car was equipped with "solar absorbing green glass"-- tough on the AC. I have also found Internet site errors. One of my gripes is that I set up my owners site account when i had AOL so AOL is part of my screen name. Now that I have Earthlink I can't change the account name because the account (and my VIN) is associated with my AOL screen name the ac. SO I log in with my very old AOL screen name and give them my Earthlink email revision so at least I can get email from the site.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    I enjoyed the same tire on my A4 but do not have any TL specific feedback. The tires had great grip but a slight sensation that they were rolling over did occur which was a little un-nerving. They were great in the wet and snow. If anyone has put them on their TL it would be great to hear feedback.
  • sftroysftroy Member Posts: 30
    robbr - Bridgestone just installed the Turanza LS-Zs on my car this evening - this is the 3rd set of tires on my 04TL. I had the original EL42s (marked with "PVC" on the side wall - they flatspotted and vibrated like crazy. Acura replaced them in the Spring with reformulated EL42s (marked "TU2") they also vibrated. Acura's customer service (and I use that term very, very loosly) offered to have my Regional Service rep. test drive my car. He clearly had an agenda during our test drive and not surprisingly found that the vibrations are a "normal characteristic" of the OEM tires on my car (just 'cuz its normal doesn't mean its right). My dealer drove my car and said that the vibrations were not normal but he couldn't do anything because the rep said the condidion was normal. At this time my wonderful customer service people at Acura have stopped returing my calls (I left 4 messages for a certain rep with the initials BG, I guess he has more important things to do). I haven't been a jerk, and I've approached this with nothing but good intensions - I've only wanted my new $35K car to stop vibrating, which I don't think is asking too much. Bridgestone, after several tests agreed the tires were defective and replaced them with the LS-Vs tonight. I'm very, very disappointed to hear you are still having problems even with the LS-Vs as I have yet to take my car on the freeway to try out the new tires. I'm so very frustrated with the vibration problem, Acura's lame-[non-permissible content removed] attempt at customer service, and their failure to correctly address the problem. I no longer enjoy driving the car and I find it very hard to recommend the car or Acura to anyone who asks me about how I like my car.

Has anyone gone thru arbritration with a car company? Seems like the next step if the vibrations continue . . . .
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "Has anyone gone thru arbritration with a car company? Seems like the next step if the vibrations continue . . . ."

I have --- on a 2000 Prelude. Where I live, there are no lemon laws. Only recourse is arbitration administered by the local BBB. By the way, I won the arbitration, and Honda was forced to buy-back my 8-month-old Prelude at full purchase price.
  • calwhizcalwhiz Member Posts: 29
    I just took my car to the dealer for the second time since I bought the car. For the same problem--the car has trouble starting (it just cranks for like 5 seconds, then starts) when the car is warm/hot.

I am almost sure it has to be related to the fuel pressure. I never have this problem in the morning. The problem is most evident when I need to drive the car back to work after lunch.

But the dealer cannot reproduce the problem. Saying everything checked out fine.

Anyone has experienced similiar problem? Any suggestions?
    I'm sorry to hear about your 04 TL tire problem. I too purchased a 04 TL with defective tires and they flat spotted and vibrated. For four months, Acura told me the tires were normal. Then, out of the clear blue (after 4 months), they called me and said the tires were defective and offered to replace them.
    The new tires do not flat spot but the car does vibrate a little. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the suspension or perhaps the vibrations are due to the rough ride that seems inherent to 17 and 18-inch tires. I think 16-inch tires with a larger sidewall give a much better ride. In any event I feel for you. I feel like a dam fool for spending 35k on a very mediocre car.

PS: My neighbor recently bought a Gran Prix (about 24K) and it rides much better than my expensive Acura TL! I’m just no longer sold on Honda or Acura products…
  • courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    Is it me or are the seats like sitting on rocks. The seats on my 01' TL are so much better. I took it for a test drive and within a few miles had to get out, seats like sitting on a metal bleacher. Nice fit and finish but just not comfortable. Sticking with my 01'.
    I think the seats are fine. IMO, no better or worse than the ones in my '01 CL-S.
  • rwp1223rwp1223 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my TL late November '03 and noticed the shimmy/vibration pretty soon. I was told it was due to the tires flat-spotting and would go away as they warmed up. It didn't and the dealer put on re-formulated EL 42's... the problem got worse. He rebalanced them and found one was out of round. He replace that one and ordered another set of EL 42's... that didn't do the trick either. He even took fours wheels off another brand new TL and put them on my car and the shimmy was still there. He just put four Michelin XGT Z4's on the car and guess what... it still has the vibration and it's still the worst at 55 mph. He's got a bunch of other automatic trans. owners complaining about the same thing. Now he's moving past the wheels and thinking trans or drive-train. I wish Acura would do something but it looks like they don't care. I'm thinking about going the Lemon Law route but hate to think that I have to do that because of a poor ride in a $30K+ car. Crazy thing is that I love everything else about the car... the seats, the stereo, the styling and the size. I guess I should've bought the Infiniti instead.
    Let me know if you hear about any real fixes... my dealer will try anything to solve the problem.
  • rwp1223rwp1223 Member Posts: 2
    I thinking about going the Lemon Law route in my state (NJ). The dealer has put three sets of tires on my car over the past year and the shimmy won't go away. He just put Michelin XGT Z4's on and it didn't help.... infact these tires are noisier and thump over road cracks and seams. They do grip better and are fine in the rain but the lousy 55 MPH shimmy is driving me crazy... How hard is it to do the lemon law thing???
  • concerned1concerned1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know what type of symptoms your 04tl was having concerning transmission failure. I too am having symptom's and would like to see if they are comparable,because dealer can't replicate the symptom's ,also I have higher miles as do you on my 04tl .Please respond asap thanks
  • sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    Have you tested your TL doors?

I've noticed several of the 04 and 05's on the lot that share this common problem.

If you roll down completely, all of the windows on all of the doors, when you shut the doors, usually the front driver and front passenger doors will rattle or vibrate on shut because of a loose internal door panel. It occurs on some TL's.

Rear doors however are fine and give a solid shut sound.

Strangely, if you put all of your windows up, then the door shut will be solid and free of vibrations on shut.
    I think it's related to the weight distribution of the TL and how it affects the wearing of the tires. My Maxima has so much vibrations that it actually feels like an earthquake. I just hope the Acura is not another Maxima.

I wonder if there's a mathematical engineering formula that prevents bad weight distribution of cars.
    Hi Sharpwitz

I've had my 04 TL for about a year and it has always had a slight creaking noise (in the door) when i go over a small bump. I've taken it back to the dealer on numerous occasions but they can’t fix the problem.

Is this the same or similar noise that your talking about.?
    No, it is not a similar noise.

Just put your window completely down and shut the door (sit inside the car). You'll hear a vibration/rattle sound which does not occur with the rear doors. Note: it's not the window that is rattling, but actually the inside door panel. I found this out accidentally while I was in the showroom and the salesperson was stunned. He didn't even have a response because he couldn't use the usual "it's normal" excuse.

This occurs on ALL 04 and 05 TLs. It does not occur on the 04 RL which i tested. Strangely, as mentioned, the problem does not occur with the rear doors.

Surprisingly, no one has complained about it on the owner site so Acura never made the fix.
    I have the creaking sound -- somewhere in the front driver-side door. Comes and goes, mostly comes.
  • ubilnubiln Member Posts: 3
    i'm not convinced the gas tank is 17 gallons. i let the reading go to E with the computer reading 10 miles to empty. but when i fill up, it only takes just over 13 gallons to full.

has anyone noticed this?
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    The tank is 17 gallons. The computer and gauge is 'set' to count down to about 13.5 gallons. Why I don't know, but I know when it says E and 0 miles to empty, I have some leeway. My '98 Grand Prix was the same way.

I guess they really don't want you to run out of gas.
    I find the creeking sound to be very distracting.
    I've been back to the dealer several times and all they can say is that "it's the nature of the beast".

Poor quality for a $35,000 car.

HAve you taken yours back to the dealer for repair?
    I complained about a slight vibration at speeds of about 50 mph. I was told it was a lockup torque converter and that this was normal.

They could have been lying ...they are quite good at lying!

My 7 year old Buick has a better ride!
    No, not yet. I'll bring it up when I go in for the 1st oil change. I'm not too optimistic that they could fix it though, since I can't even pinpoint the exact source of the noise. I've also got an intermittent glove box rattle that they need to take a look at.
    just to clarify things:

You hear the rattle/vibration the moment you shut the front doors.
  • ubilnubiln Member Posts: 3
    i have a greater respect for the engineers at honda!.......for i will push the envelope!

thanx
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    They don't want to lose money on the TLC, Total Luxery Care program by paying for a bunch of tow trucks to fill up empty tanks on the road. The other guy was right, they REALLY don't want you to run out of gas.
  • rickoricko Member Posts: 22
    I have had the same vibration problem,and have been through the whole tire replacement thing and no help either. I am talking with Acura district rep to get into 05 TL for the invoice difference of $265 between the 2 models. He was first talking about me having to pay user fees on the miles I had on my car, isn't that a joke, having to pay to use your car. I told him I shouldn't even have to pay the difference between the 2 model years. I didn't ask for this problem and I wasn't told before I bought the car that some or most TL's have vibration problem and so Acura bears the responsibility not me. This car is a joke, I think, for the price and I am fed up with Acura and them trying to tell everyone its just the nature of the car,it is not, it is a design flaw and they need to resolve it for us even if it takes giving us a new car or our $ back!!!! If he bought a suite and wore it a few weeks and then found a flaw in it and took it back to the store and the clerk said I can't fix it but I will give you a new suite, but I will have to charge you a usage fee and I don't have any more 04 suites my 05 suites came in last week you will have to pay the difference in price,so I ask him what he thought and he said I see your point. But I haven't heard from the person from Corp. yet so it may be a whole new game. Good Luck to us all!
  • ceraulicerauli Member Posts: 44
    YES! I have this problem too! Did you get any other info as to whether there is a fix to get rid of this annoying single clunk sound after you put it into drive and take off?

Thanks!
    YES... seems like there is a vibration in floor and steering column at speed between 30-60 mph in 4th and 5th gears. Acura told me normal for the car... have you gotten any word?
    I have this sound as well... 900 miles on mine. Did you get anywhere with this problem/annoyance???

Thanks!
    The clunking sound you are most likely hearing is the ABS self test and is COMPLETELY NORMAL.

See Post 1164
    I think you need to be a little more emphatic! :)
    I don't know if it is the weather, or because it is close to Halloween, or because of the lunar eclipse, but for the past few days, my TL has been making all sorts of creaking and rattly noises, mostly in the front passenger seat area --- damn annoying.

Just out of curiosity, I want to run an informal poll as to how many of you (who have problems with excessive creaking/squeaking/rattling) would actually consider getting rid of the car simply because you find the noises too darn annoying to live with?
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    bodble2,
    Is your dealer useless on resolving all these noises? What if someone is sitting on the front passenger seat would you still hear all those noises from there?

This creaking stuff is one main single thing that's between me and my getting a TL. But from the TL threads, and my personal friends who have an 04 TL, not everyone gets these annoying stuff.

The only two things my friends complained about on their 04 TL is rides a bit firmer than typical sedans (expected), and that when driving on 50+ mph with rear windows down, the car would vibrate hard (anyone has that?).
    Point Taken.

<rant>
    It's just that this has been explained several times in this forum and the post to which 'cerauli' replied had already been answered. Why can't people just use the search tool?
    </rant>

Long tough week. I need a beer.
  • paul_phillypaul_philly Member Posts: 16
    Anyone experiencing the following:

1. Rattle above driver left ear
    2. Vibration in floor/gear shifter periodically
    3. Vibration/buzzing noise coming from rear winshield?
    4. Occassional knocking/pinging in engine (yes, I always use high octane gas)?
    5. Seems as if the tires are never balanced?
    Yes to number 1. It comes from the B-pillar - where the side airbag is located.

No to 2, 3, 4, and 5.
  • paul_phillypaul_philly Member Posts: 16
    So what can be done to stop it?
    Yes to #1 & #4. Not sure about #2 -- I thought the noise is from passenger seat area.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    Many sedans, not just the TL have that same problem when only the rear windows are down. Chrack the front windoes or open the sun roof to resolve. The 2004 I test drove had a very harsh ride, but the 2005 I bought isn't bad at all. Of course they did change the tires.

Only 800 miles so far, but no creakes or rattles.
    To be fair, I have not brought it to the attention of my dealer yet. I'll do it at the 1st service. But with noises, I'm never optimistic they can rectify without causing other sources of noise.
  • jjtuanjjtuan Member Posts: 6
    Re: Sound on startup--taking off 04 TL [jjtuan] by djlandkpl Oct 11, 2004 (11:18 am)

Bookmark | Reply
    The thump is normal. The ABS system has to do a self test and pressurize the brake system. It doesn't occur when the car is warm as the brake system is still pressurized.

HERE THE ANWSER FOR THAT .BUT I DIT NOT TALK TO MY DEALER TO CONFIRM THAT MATTER.
  • eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    Went to Santa Monica Acura to check out the new RL an TL. I especially checked the 05 TL's tires and saw that they were the Bridgestones. I looked at two 05's on the lot.

Many on this forum, with new TL's, have said that their cars came with Michelins. Are the Michelins being offered only to certain regions while the cars delivered to southern california retain the Bridgestones? That would seem unlikely but I guess could be possible.

Any thoughts? I didn't question the salesman, as I've found, from reading this forum, that the members here can be more knowledgeable.
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    On the 05s, the Navis come with Michelin, and the non-navis come with Bridgestones.
  • rsr152rsr152 Member Posts: 9
    When I pull the high beam lever up and release it back to normal, I hear a "clunk" that seems to come from under the hood! It also happens when I push the lever down for "steady high beam" and then pull it back up again.

Anybody else with this problem? Any suggestions? It is a new '05 TL non-navi. Thanks.
    I've got one of those portable air compressor that I've been using a the past few years. I wanted to add air to my tires this morning and, to my surprise, found that the plug will not fit into the AC outlets on the TL. It works on our Accord and all our previous vehicles in recent years. Is the AC outlet somehow different on the TL, or am I missing something?
  • xkegsxxkegsx Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I was just using my Handsfreelink with my phone and instead of hanging up through the car I hung up through the phone. Now my HandsfreeLink remains on even when both the car and phone are off. I called up Acura and they said I'd have to take it to the dealer to be reset. Anyone know of a way I can do this myself?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    This is normal. My Olds does the same thing. You hit a bump with the brake lightly applied and the wheel speed sensor detects the wheel turning more slowly than the other wheels and activates the ABS.
  • atlantasteve1atlantasteve1 Member Posts: 5
    Disconnect your battery. Then reinstall all prompts on Handsfree.